Hail, Britannia

As we have a really crowded elections season (worldwide) here OTL, I’d like to ask, what are the next elections ITTL (National, imperial, federal or provincial)?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I just finished re-reading this wonderful TL, congratulations to you, it's a really amazing job ! Have you planned an infobox about France ?

Yes I do have something in the works for France. I've waited because I needed to get all the overseas territories sorted and decided on, plus some adjustments to the EU and it's political system that affected France. I hope to have something French related before Christmas :)

Is there an infobox for New Jersey in the works?

I have some drafts, but I'd love to get your thoughts on the political system and parties. If that's okay drop me a DM :)

Fantastic work, as always.

A question I've been sitting on for a while, how does Anglicism work in the Empire. I know you mentioned a Church of All Britain, which I take it, is the established national religion, but you mentioned that some of the dominions have an established church and others don't. So, how does it all work?

I've got some infoboxes for the five major religions in Britain ITTL, but effectively the Church of Scotland remains episcopal and unites with the Church of England under the 1707 Acts of Union, though both remain vaguely autonomous entities (similar to the Church in Wales) under the Church of Great Britain. With no American Revolution the "Anglican Church in America", which was established in the 1750s with an Archbishop based in Fredericksburg (OTL Washington D.C.), remains tied to the Anglican Communion - preventing several splinter groups from emerging. In the 1860s the Anglican churches of Great Britain, Ireland and America united to form the "United Church of All Britain" - effectively a unified Anglican church throughout the United Kingdom and Empire of Great Britannia, much more centralised than the rest of the Anglican Communion, which is headed by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

I wasn't aware of any dominions that had seceded, only colonies and protectorates.
The breaking apart of Great Britain into separate constituent countries would probably count.
IIRC, India was a "non-integrated dominion", which means that they weren't part of the Empire but still recognized the British monarch as head of state.
No, they weren't. TTL Britain has had constituent countries split into new constituent countries, and they've had colonies become new realms, but they've never had a constituent country leave the union.

Indeed, Great Britain as a home nation sort of gradually dissolved itself... Though it was never really a self-governing constituent country.

Colonies and protectorates gradually gained independence in the late 20th century, some became non-integrated dominions (later Commonwealth realms or republics), others native monarchies, others straight to republics.

No constituent country has left the Union, but Florida or Scotland are probably the most likely.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
As we have a really crowded elections season (worldwide) here OTL, I’d like to ask, what are the next elections ITTL (National, imperial, federal or provincial)?

Non that spring to mind.

You have to remember that this series is not a "live" series. I tried that but the workload became too much :(

I won't be doing live news updates or live elections (unless there's another imperial one), just focusing on wikiboxes, maps and elections :)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
"No soy un estafador":p
How common is it for Anglo-Californians to take Spanish names?

Haha :)

Less common historically, but more common recently. Some of those are anachronistic, for example Hiram Juánez (OTL Hiram Johnson) was born Hiram Johnson but his name was Hispanised by Spanish-language press and historians.

Particularly rising in prominence throughout the 20th century, nowadays a plurality of Anglo-Californian babies are given Hispanic first names.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
And so finally, after many months of waiting, I give you the NEW AND IMPROVED (AND ACCURATE) WORLD MAP!!!

Bonus points for those who can find all the changes (the previous version can be found here).

zqzJqBe.png

And so finally, after many months of waiting, I give you the NEW AND IMPROVED (AND ACCURATE) WORLD MAP!!!

Bonus points for those who can find all the changes (the previous version can be found here).

Right, you've added Labuan, Galapagos, bay islands and the Heard & McDonald Islands to the UKE (assuming these are all becoming overseas territories), some political divisions have been clarified (looking at you Jamaica and Cayman Islands). We have a new red line over some of the USSR territory in the corner between ussr, china and India (conflict zone? Disputed territory?). We have a new country in pink in the south china seas below china. Vietnam has been split as per the recent post about it/them. We have a new entry off the Adriatic Sea on the Balkan side (new country or uk territory, can't tell if colour is same or not) And Consolidation of come countries below ussr between the black and caspian seas, and turkey seems to have lost quite a bit of land to some new countries on its southern (is that a Kurdish state I spy?) and eastern edges. Oh and quite a few of the Pacific islands seem to have changed from being British to new countries (or is that how you've decided to show the associated states, given they're in free associations with the uk and fully self governing in all internal matters?)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Why are Maryland and Pennsylvania dark?
I can only assume that they are also considered Palatinates ITTL, under the Calvert and Penn families respectively?

Maryland and Pennsylvania are indeed both Palatinates, governed by the Earls Calvert and the Dukes of Philadelphia (Penn family) respectively.

i spy some differences in Anatolia.
also what happened in Ukraine?
the Caucusus are unified
the borders of aksai chin seems to be differently colored

The Anatolia and Caucasus changes are due to a readjustment of Turkish history following TTL's First Balkan War which results in the country joining the First World War in a slightly different way. The Transcaucasian Federal Republic is a Soviet-successor state, whilst the Hellenic Republic of Pontus is a breakaway country analogous to OTL Abkhazia/South Ossetia/Northern Cyprus. Cilicia and Kurdistan are former French mandates, whilst Alexandretta (OTL Iskenderun) is a French overseas territory.

Ukraine has granted some autonomy to Transnistria and the Donbass.

Aksai Chin is disputed between the Soviets and India, but de facto controlled by the Soviet Union.

Is that an autonomous Assyrian state in Kurdistan?

Yes it is indeed :) They had to get lucky in one timeline!!

Estonia joined the Nordics?
IIRC, Estonia isn't actually part of the Nordic Federation, but they do have a very close relationship.
No, they had a referendum at some point.

Part of my retconning is that Estonia nevers joins the EU, remaining separate similar to OTL Norway due to divided ties between the Baltics and the Nordics. A 2018 referendum results in the country voting to join the Nordic Federation, which was approved by the Nordics in August 2019. More to come on Estonia soon :)

Right, you've added Labuan, Galapagos, bay islands and the Heard & McDonald Islands to the UKE (assuming these are all becoming overseas territories), some political divisions have been clarified (looking at you Jamaica and Cayman Islands). We have a new red line over some of the USSR territory in the corner between ussr, china and India (conflict zone? Disputed territory?). We have a new country in pink in the south china seas below china. Vietnam has been split as per the recent post about it/them. We have a new entry off the Adriatic Sea on the Balkan side (new country or uk territory, can't tell if colour is same or not) And Consolidation of come countries below ussr between the black and caspian seas, and turkey seems to have lost quite a bit of land to some new countries on its southern (is that a Kurdish state I spy?) and eastern edges. Oh and quite a few of the Pacific islands seem to have changed from being British to new countries (or is that how you've decided to show the associated states, given they're in free associations with the uk and fully self governing in all internal matters?)

Well done :)

The new country below China is the "People's Republic of Hainan".

The new country in the Adriatic Sea is Ragusa.

Indeed it is a Kurdish state :)

Yeah Micronesia and the South Sea Islands are associated states similar in status to the OTL Cook Islands, so that's why they are coloured that way. Sort of a halfway house between sovereign state and overseas territory.

Last edited:
Benevento

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So as promised, a little something looking at one of the new micro-states - Benevento.

I hope you like it :)

rd293tC.png

qW6bfOj.png
The Principality of Benevento is an enclaved sovereign city-state, country, and microstate in the southern Italian peninsula, completely surrounded by the United Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Located 50 kilometres (31 miles) northeast of Naples, Benevento is situated on a hill 130 metres (427 feet) above sea level at the confluence of the Calore Irpino and the Saboto rivers. It has an area of approximately 259 square kilometres (100 square miles), with a population of nearly 90,000, and its capital is the City of Benevento, whilst the largest ward is Montecalvo. The official languages are Italian and Neapolitan, and Benevento maintains strong financial and ethno-cultural connections to its larger neighbour.

Established as Maleventum, one of the chief cities of Samnium, Benevento was inhabited for millennia and had come under Roman control by the 3rd century BCE, when a Roman colony with Latin rights was established under the name Beneventum. In the final years of the Roman Republic, Benevento was described as one of the most opulent and flourishing cities of Italia. Its position on the Appian Way ensured its continued prosperity and the city flourished under the Roman Empire, and the triumphal arch, the Arch of Trajan, was erected there by the senate and people of Rome in 114 CE. Following the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, the city was sacked and its walls razed to the ground during the Gothic Wars in the 6th century CE. The city became the seat of a powerful, but autonomous, Lombard duchy. The borders of this state fluctuated over the centuries, and at times the duchy covered much of southern Italy, until the collapse of the Lombard kingdom when the duchy was raised to a principality under the new empire of the Franks. In the 11th century, Benevento passed to the control of the Papacy as an enclave of the Papal States.

The principality continued to be a papal possession until 1806 when, during the Napoleonic Wars, Emperor Napoleon granted it to his minister Talleyrand with the title of sovereign prince, however Talleyrand never ruled the new principality. At the Congress of Vienna, the extend of the Papal States was reduced to the regions of Latium and Umbria, with neighbouring Pontecorvo ceded to the restored Bourbon king of Naples. Benevento was created as an independent principality for Auguste de Marmont, a Marshal of France who had turned against Napoleon during the War of the Sixth Coalition and the Hundred Days. Marmont, a liberal, reigned as a constitutional monarch, establishing a constitution and parliamentary democracy, although with no heirs the fate of the state was unclear upon his death in 1852. Amongst prominent Beneventani, some called for a continuation of the principality, a republic or annexation to the Two Sicilies, but the legislature voted to elect William Albert de Montenuovo, son of Maria Luisa of Parma, as Auguste’s successor. The House of Montenuovo have reigned in Benevento since the accession of William Albert on 1 June 1852.

During the First World War, Benevento remained neutral, although volunteers fought on the Italian Front in northern Italy during the liberation of Venetia. During the interwar period, Benevento suffered harshly in the Great Depression with high unemployment and inflation leading to the rise of the Benevento Futurist Party which held power from the late 1920s to the 1940s. Despite its pro-Axis fascist government, Benevento remained neutral throughout the Second World War and along with San Marino avoided annexation into the fascist Italian State. Benevento was briefly occupied by Allied forces in November 1944, but was restored to full sovereignty after three weeks. In 1947, the principality adopted its current constitution, which curtailed the powers of the reigning prince and solidifed the country's democratic instutitions, formally establishing the superiority of the legislature and transforming the country into a "crowned republic".

In the 21st century, Benevento is one of the wealthiest countries in the world in terms of GDP, with an economy reliant on agriculture, financial services and tourism, and low unemployment and a budget surplus. Benevento is a member of the Council of Europe and the United Nations, and is a de facto member of the Schengen Area and the Customs Union, despite not being a member of the European Union. Benevento’s relations with the Two Sicilies and the European Union are governed by a series of bilateral treaties and agreements, notably the 1871 Treaty of Ciofani, and there are no plans for the country’s potential accession to the union.

Last edited:

Deleted member 77383

Awesome timeline! Just a quick question, you mentioned that Afghanistan is a constitutional monarchy under the soviet sphere, but I’m still a bit befuddled... did the Soviets go into Afghanistan and win the war, or is it something else? If you could elaborate, that’d be much appreciated. :)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Awesome timeline! Just a quick question, you mentioned that Afghanistan is a constitutional monarchy under the soviet sphere, but I’m still a bit befuddled... did the Soviets go into Afghanistan and win the war, or is it something else? If you could elaborate, that’d be much appreciated. :)

Effectively, the Soviets go into Afghanistan much earlier (1973) establishing a Soviet-aligned Communist republic. Following the end of the Cold War, the country transitions to democracy, and restores the monarchy (as several former Communist states did - Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Kongo). Afghanistan is relatively stable, but has been racked by some civil unrest since the 1990s...

I've been inspired to create a country wikibox on Afghanistan. Write up to follow :)

Also, I’ve updated the British Overseas Possessions post if anyone’s interested.

Last edited: