Hail, Britannia

I have high hopes for the reboot! I feel like the original has some... unfortunate (unintentional! cannot stress that enough!) implications re: Empire and imperialism, so I hope that gets addressed in the reboot!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
It's only fitting that Hail Britannia would be rebooted after the passing of Elizabeth II.

Yes indeed. Her life and funeral is one of the first things I want to cover in the new series.

Will you do the side Stargate content for V2 as I did enjoy the way you worked that in?

Possibly. It's something I enjoyed doing with the original. Although I am leaning towards keeping them separate.

I have high hopes for the reboot! I feel like the original has some... unfortunate (unintentional! cannot stress that enough!) implications re: Empire and imperialism, so I hope that gets addressed in the reboot!

Thanks - I hope you enjoy it.

I just want to say to everyone that I appreciate any and all feedback on V1 and how to address those issues in V2. There was some criticism about this timeline over on Sufficient Velocity describing it as "cringey alternate history" - which was hard to take - but I am really keen to address those with V2. @Oliveia please feel free to feedback here about the unfortunate implications (or DM me) so I can address them :)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
do you have a timeframe for when you can show V2?

I'm afraid I don't want to commit to any specific dates/timeframes - as I know how much life and work tends to get in the way! But I would hope to be in a position to launch the new thread before Autumn/Fall.

I know that may be disappointing - but I don’t want to promise a date and then disappoint people if, for whatever reason, I’m not ready.

Priorities are a new world map, infoboxes and pages for the United Empire, Elizabeth II (and her funeral), plus the most recent imperial election, some constituent countries, and other British monarchs.

Here’s a WIP list I’ve made of the current heads of government from V1 of this timeline:

THE AMERICAS
California: Prime Minister Jon Huntsman
Cuba: Prime Minster Miguel Díaz-Canel
Brazil: Prime Minster Geraldo Alckmin
EUROPE
Catalonia: Prime Minister Artur Mas
France: Prime Minister Ségolène Royal
Belgium: Chancellor Claude Wiseler

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Happy New Year 🎉

Wow 2023 has gone quickly. My apologies that I have not been able to launch V2 of this timeline. It is progressing... As with most things, real life had got in the way a bit. But things are plodding along nicely :)

Here's a little teaser for you as to what to expect in the New Year - a map of the Middle East in the style of the OTL CIA World Factbook maps.

Enjoy :)

5MqSGeW.png

Question that I’m sure can be answered relatively easily: how to the borders between Nejd and Hashemite Arabia line up with known oil fields?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Question that I’m sure can be answered relatively easily: how to the borders between Nejd and Hashemite Arabia line up with known oil fields?

Based on this map the major oil fields (like Ghawar) are on the Hajari side of the border. Nejd gets the ones south of OTL Riyadh. But the Hashemites don't get any of the major oil fields of OTL.

I'm trying to figure out why Hajar is called that. There doesn't seem to be anywhere called that in that area.
The Arab translation I get are also rather dubious and lik to Christianity, Hinduism, fleeing and wavering Faith so far.

The official name of the state in Arabic would be al-Hasa (after the Al-Ahsa Oasis) but the name Hajar was an archaic name for the region and so that has stuck around in the Western world. A bit like how Jordan in Arabic is al-Urdunn, but the English name is Jordan.

Sad to see Cilicia go, though I’m interested what the Alawite Republic will be like.

Has modern Pontus tried to connect itself to the old Trebizond Empire?

I'm afraid I just couldn't make Cilicia work... and the Alawite Republic will be intersting to explore.

Not explicitly, though they have sought greater ties with Greece and the Greek monarchy.

UGE?
Also, Iran's border looks interesting.
I believe it stands for United Gulf Emirates.
That would make sense.

Indeed it does. Including the additional emirates of Qatar, Bahrain and Sohar.

I would love to see more of the Transcaucasian D.F.R. Are Chechenya, Dagestan, and Pontus semi-autonomous? or do they seek any kind of independence??

It's a region that I have put a lot of time and work into, so I'm very excited for the response. Chechnya, Dagestan and Pontus and de facto independent states backed by Russia (C&D) and Turkiye & France (P) that broke away in the 1990s Transcaucasia Crisis. The situation is comparable to Abkhazia/South Ossetia, with a mix of Northern Cyprus and Kosovo (in the case of Pontus). Britain doesn't recognise any of them as independent, but they are shown on the map to reflect the de facto situation on the gound (hence the dotted lines).