Hail, Britannia: A New History

Main Page

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor

Y2Es5Qj.png

Welcome, one and all to the Official Thread for the relaunched and revamped series Hail, Britannia: A New History.

As people may recall, the original version of Hail, Britannia began in July 2015 and continued, on and off, until February 2021. Unfortunately, in addition to having a lot going on personally and professionally - and needing to take a break for my own wellbeing - I fell out of love with the project. The original canon of Hail, Britannia had gone through several major revisions and changes over the years (and hundreds of minor ones), and the original thread became cluttered with a lot of content that was out of date or inaccurate, and the sheer scale of the retcon needed was daunting. So I made the decision to shutter the original series.

Over the last 18+ months I have been working on a revamped version of Hail, Britannia, and that is the purpose of this new thread and this new timeline. This is very much a "spiritual successor" to the previous thread, and while some content and lore will remain the same (but updated and modernised), much of the series will be completely new. Before I go any further, I would like to extend my immense gratitude to all those on the forum who have offered their help, support and suggestions, both with the original and with my planning for the revamped version.

The main purpose of this thread is to serve as a repository for me to post updates and graphics about the Hail, Britannia universe.

Although I will be using this thread as a place to both store and bring together all of the content I have for this series, I want you all to feel that you are more than welcome to pitch in and ask questions, make comments and provide suggestions about how I can expand and improve the world of Hail, Britannia, whether in this thread or by sending me a message.

Watching.
I'm very interested to know about the changed flags and coats of arms of the British Empire compared to the previous versions, as those are what I provided most of my advice about in the previous thread.

I am indeed curious what that sun on a red field is referencing on the CoA
I keep imagining British Macedonia
My initial suspicion is a simple "the Empire", as that was the other option discussed with The Imperial "Ecu Complete" that I posted in the previous thread when the Imperial British coat of arms was being developed.
The desire for simplicity will probably effectually prevent any such escutcheon ever being adopted for use or officially sanctioned, but it has been repeatedly suggested that the fourth quarter, or an escutcheon of pretence, should be used for one single and simple coat-of-arms typifying all the Colonies generally, or, to put it in another way, to represent "the Empire."

GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS KING
LONG LIVE OUR NOBLE KING
GOD SAVE THE KING
SEND HIM VICTORIOUS
HAPPY AND GLORIOUS
LONG TO REIGN OVER US
GOD SAVE THE KING