An Unexpected Prince

Chapter 21: Parliament
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 21: Parliament

June, 1690

Henry Powle, speaker of the House of Commons spoke. “Order, gentlemen, order.” The house fell quiet, Sidney listened intently. “We have the Right Honourable Sidney Godolphin, First Lord of the Treasury to the government of His Majesty King James, here to speak on matters relating to war against France. Sir Sidney.”

Sidney stood up then. “Thank you, Mr Speaker. As regards the matter of war with France, I wish to clarify the government’s position. After much consideration and debate, the regency council decided that it was not appropriate at this time for us to engage troops in the matter. Instead we are through the Bank of Albion going to be providing funding for the Imperial army in its struggle against the French. We shall also be undergoing some privateering against the French. To that extent the Lord High Admiral has commissioned several unmarked ships to begin pursuing French ships.”

There was a general clamour from the opposition benches, whilst the Tories behind him smiled and cheered. “Leader of the Opposition Sir Thomas Wharton.” The speaker called out.

“Thank you, Mr Speaker.” That rogue Wharton said, his face was puffed up, he looked as if he’d just finished a drinking session, given his history, Sidney would not be surprised if that was true. “The Right Honourable Gentleman opposite me says that the government and therefore the country shall not be engaging in war with France directly, and instead shall be financing the Imperial Army. Does he not find that to be a lapsing in his duty and the country’s duty to its allies? After all, this house saw the treaty which brought us into alliance with the Dutch and the Emperor. Why then are we not committed to fighting?”

Sidney stood up again and at a nod from the Speaker, he replied. “The Honourable Gentleman knows as well as the rest of this house that the treaty which brought us into alliance was purely a financial one. In it, we agreed to clearly fund the Imperial army in its activities in whatever necessary need they had. It needed simple clarification from the Emperor, now that that clarification has been provided, we are moving forward.” He sat down then.

“That does not answer the question.” Wharton fired back. “We are none the wiser as to why we are not engaging in war, now that we know what King Louis wants. That being the Spanish Netherlands, a thing that we need for trade ourselves. Not to mention the fact that his actions have prevented the rightful sovereign of Spain from taking the throne.” There was a loud cheer there from the opposition benches.

Sidney rose. “The gentleman will note that though King Louis has previously stated that he wants the Spanish Netherlands, his entire action has been dedicated toward fighting in the Rhine and in Italy, alongside Catalonia. He has not even sent an expeditionary force into the Spanish Netherlands.”

“And do you believe that will remain the case?” Wharton fired back. “Because if you do, you are naïve!” To a cry from both sides.

“Order!” Powle shouted. “There will be order in the house.”

Eventually the house quietened, and Powle looked at Sidney gesturing for him to respond. Sidney stood, cleared his throat and then said. “The gentleman is right to say that if one were to expect King Louis of France not to engage in an eventual invasion of the Spanish Netherlands he would be a fool. However, that is not what I said. I said that he has as of yet not sent one such force into the Spanish Netherlands, therefore we are not going to be sending our own men into the area. Should he do something such as this he will be met by be the full might of English, Scottish and Irish forces.” He was about to sit down when he decided to add. “And Lord Churchill has taken five regiments with him to the Dutch Republic to embark on a training exercise, on the agreement of Her Highness the Duchess of Cumberland and William, Prince of Orange.”

That caused a stir. “SO, there will be troops stationed not a hairs breath away from the Spanish Netherlands but not engaging in war?” Wharton demanded. “What sort of sense is this?”

“The sort of sense that one who is in government would have.” Sir William Temple, a commissioner of the treasury and a candidate for Secretary of State said. His voice drew silence from the Commons that was how well respected he was.

“Sir William.” The Speaker said.

The man stood up. The hush around the Commons was an indication of the great respect he was held in. “Thank you Mr Speaker.” Sir William said, he then looked around the room. “Yes, we are in alliance with the Empire, and no we are not going to be sending troops to fight in the Empire or in Italy. However, we are doing what we can to stand against the French, and until they give us a direct reference for needing to fight them and defeat them, this will remain the case.” There were murmurs of approval. Sir William continued. “Now, if the Right Honourable Gentleman wants to fight, then he can join one of the regiments and lead it into Imperial service. If not, then he had best trust that the government knows what it is doing.”

There was a roar of approval from the government benches, and Sidney shook Sir William’s hand, as the Speaker began trying to call for order, Sidney said. “Thank you, Sir.”

Sir William shook his head. “I merely said what you already had, but in a language that Wharton could understand.”

“Still, that was quite something.” Sidney said.

“Parliament is adjourned for the afternoon.” The Speaker said then. “Go and get whatever food you need, but return promptly by the first tolling of the bell.”

Sidney rose with the rest of the house and walked out of the chamber, making his way to where the servers were. Sir William walked with him. “Sunderland will resign.” Sir William said.

Sidney looked at the man and asked. “How do you know?”

Sir William looked at him, before this debate had been called, Robert Spencer, Earl of Sunderland had said something about wanting to spend more time on his estates to raise his surviving children. The Princess hadn’t said anything about it at the time, but Sidney got the feeling she wasn’t very happy about it. Sunderland had done a lot of things to keep the regency council balanced, if he went who would replace him? “Robert and I speak. He wants to leave, and I believe he has met with the Princess.”

“Ah.” Sidney said, he knew then that Robert Spencer would no doubt have played on the Princess’ motherly instinct. “So, who shall replace him?”

“I was thinking of putting your name forward for the post.” Sir William replied.

“Me?” Sidney exclaimed. “I am not experienced enough.”

“On the contrary, you have the experience needed to woo the Princess to your way of thinking, and your command of the Commons is second to none. Better than anyone I’ve seen in my time in office.” Sir William said.

Coming from him that was very high praise. Sidney thought on it as he purchased one of these new things that the Earl of Sandwich had coined after himself and some ale. He took a bite and a swig and then replied. “Well, thank you very much for the suggestion, Sir.”

“Don’t thank me yet. We have much to do.” Sir William said.

Sidney looked at him and then at Sir Thomas who was swigging ale as if it were going out of style and said. “Indeed we do.”

Chapter 22: Engagements
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 22: Engagements

August, 1690

As they walked through the gardens of the Hofburg, with the guards walking a few steps behind them, Maria Antonia, Queen of Spain chanced a look at the man who in two days time would be her husband. Jakub Sobieski, was taller than her, with long black hair, which curled in bits and pieces, and a slight scar across one eye, where a Turk had tried to stab him. He was handsome, not as handsome as Maximilian had been, but then looks did not bother her that much anymore, she wanted someone who would be kind to her and would be good to her son. Deciding to break the silence, Maria asked in German. “What are you making of Vienna so far, my Prince?”

Sobieski said nothing for a moment and then replied. “May I be honest with you, Your Majesty?”

“Please.” She said, she had had enough of fools and flatterers.

“I believe that Vienna has potential, but that it is being suffocated under some form of conservation that makes no sense. The people are thriving, but the development of the city’s art and its resources are not being used properly. I fear that the Emperor prefers to do things slowly, but perhaps too slowly for change to mean anything.” Sobieski said.

Maria Antonia thought on that, she remembered that when Maximilian had come to visit before their marriage, when she had been young and impressionable, he had charmed her with all sorts of nice words and phrases, and had been filled with all sorts of praise for Vienna. Though after they were married he had disdained of it. This was refreshing. “And what would you do to make it better?” She asked.

Here Sobieski seemed to consider his answer, another thing that Maximilian had never done. Her husband had always gone into the fray and acted first and thought later. Perhaps that was why he had died in Belgrade. Eventually after a lengthy pause, Sobieski spoke. “I would encourage artists and collectors to come and share their wares, not just with the Emperor but with the common man as well. I would ensure that fares were held throughout the summer season, and that ale was priced at half its usual rate.” Maria raised an eyebrow at that and Sobieski replied. “Men are more likely to act when they’ve had more ale than wine. It is a fact that any soldier could tell you.”

“And what if they cause disruption?” Maria asked, she knew that had been a great gripe for her father.

“Then you bring order through distraction.” Sobieski said. “A man is harassing a woman? You show him a card trick, or a sword and allow the woman to retreat. A man is drunk? Show him the plays of the wares. There are answers to everything.”

“I see.” Maria said, interesting answers that was for sure, but whether they would work here, she did not know.

“And what of you, Your Majesty?” Jakub asked her.

“What of me?” Maria asked in reply confused, when had Sobieski suddenly become Jakub?

“What would you do to improve Vienna?” he asked.

Maria laughed, it had been cleverly done. “I would allow more music and more fares, to bring about joy and reflection. But we are at war right now, therefore such things must wait.” A war in which her very right to the throne of Spain was being contested, if one believed her father. She was not sure if she did or not. Either way, she knew it would be a long time before she was free to go to Spain.

As if sensing she did not want to continue this topic, Jakub then said. “You know, we talk about all these sorts of things, but we’ve never met before today, so I think perhaps it would be best if we spoke about our interests, so that when the time comes we know where to go.”

That was completely different to Maximilian. The man had simply assumed the position and gone from there. Maria looked at Jakub and found him looking at her intently, she blushed slightly, then said. “Well,” she paused then, not sure whether to say her son was her main interest, as she knew her step-mother would say, or say something different. She loved her son with every fibre in her being, but he was not her only interest. Deciding that she was done lying to herself and to others, she finished her sentence. “I am interested mainly in history. Particularly the history of Spain and Portugal. Even though I never knew if I was to be Queen, I have always been drawn to the place.”

She expected Jakub to laugh at her, she knew Maximilian would have, but instead, he asked. “What about Spain is it that you like about the place? What is it about its history that fascinates you?”

“How it has changed and developed over time.” Maria said without needing to think. “It went from a collection of states into the most powerful Kingdom in the world within a matter of centuries. Of course it has fallen from grace since then, but the potential still remains.”

“And you believe it has that potential still?” Jakub asked.

“Yes, I do. What was once great can be made great once more with the right amount of nurturing and care.” Maria said. She felt herself blush then, but looked forward and asked. “What about you? What interests you?”

She expected something witty, that was what Maximilian would’ve done, but instead there was another long pause, and then Jakub replied. “I am a soldier, Your Majesty. I know the art of war, and nothing more. But, if you will allow me, I would like to know more about your interests and learn with you.”

Maria blushed even more, nobody had ever said something like that to her before, and secretly she wondered what game he was playing. They came back to the entrance to her chambers, and she turned and looked at Jakub, he looked sincere, there was no glint in his eye, only certainty. “Why?” She found herself asking. What she was asking she did not know.

Jakub replied instantly this time, though she did not think he was being insincere as he replied. “Your Majesty, I am not Maximilian Emmanuel, Elector of Bavaria I cannot charm you with flattery and nice words, nor am I Friedrich of Palatine to woo you with actions. I am who I am, and I will do my best to protect you and to ensure your interests and those of your son’s are protected and respected. That is what I can offer you, and I hope with time that will be enough.” With that he bowed and departed.

Maria Antonia watched him leave thoroughly confused as to what had just happened, and whether to be impressed or not. the doors were opened and she walked to her dresser where her ladies were waiting. “Well?!” Marie crowed. “How is he?”

“Different.” Maria replied, getting up and walking to where her son slept.

“Different how?” someone asked.

“I don’t know.” Maria replied. “But he’s different.”

Chapter 23: Argyll
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 23: Argyll

November, 1690

The war in Europe continued to rage. The Emperor and King Louis continued to fight one another backwards and forwards, neither side was quite able to break through the stalemate, and at one point it had seemed as though France would annex Catalonia for good, before troops from Portugal had ridden to Spain’s aid and prevented that from happening. James had watched it all with fascination, but right now he was in Scotland, in Edinburgh, Falkland Palace to be precise, the seat of government, to meet with Archibald Campbell, the rightful Earl of Argyll who was still asking after the return of all his father’s estates.

Campbell was a powerful man even as Lord Lorne and Lord Campbell he held influence on much of the west coast, and as the leading figure in western church matters in Scotland could shape the way the west coast went. Whether it would return to Presbyterianism as some might want, or stand firm in Episcopalians, rested on Campbell’s shoulders. From the slight rigidity in his shoulders, James could tell that the man knew this. Deciding he’d had enough of the silence, James spoke first. “We both know why you are here, my lord, let us not beat around the proverbial bush. How in your view might the west coast be kept within the true faith?” James had never converted to Catholicism unlike his brother, he had been raised an Episcopalian by their father and had remained so, even whilst ruling Scotland for King James II.

“You have two choices, the way I see it, my lord.” Campbell replied. “You can either approach them with the sword or with the pen.”

“The sword was used once before and has continued to produce outbreaks of tension.” James replied, indeed he had sent the Duke of Berwick northwards a few months ago with the Blues to deal with the matter. Berwick was returning to England and his wife on the morrow.

“Indeed, it has, but that was because you were lacking something.” Campbell said.

James knew what the man was referring to. “And you think you can make that difference?”

Campbell did not maintain the pretence to his credit. James had met the man’s father and knew that had he been having this conversation with that man, he would have done. No, it seemed Campbell was a straight talker. “Yes. I know these people, we are not from the same cloth as you lowlanders. Nor are we the same as the highlanders. We are in the middle. We speak the same language, of King, God and Religion. They see their King ordering some foreigner to crush them down and they will resent it. But if you allow me to speak with them, show them the errors of their ways, they will be more amenable to it.”

“Because you are one of them?” James asked, keeping the amusement from his voice. Argyll sounded like James’ own son, idealistic and filled with dreams.

“Yes. I can make them see sense through relating this religion to the old ways. To the struggle to keep the identity free from England. Or if you so desire it, I can show them that we have won.” Campbell said, a mischievous glint in his eye.

“Won?” James asked, though he suspected he knew what the other man meant.

“Yes, after all, Robert the Bruce’s descendant sits on the throne of England. Where once King Edward the Slaughterer sat, now sits a descendant of the Bruce. The people of the west helped Bruce defend Scotland, and now they can help ensure that his descendant continues to rule England and Ireland, and these entire islands for a long time to come.” Campbell said.

James thought on this, he had been considering a similar campaign once, before the King’s father had unfortunately died, but now he might just well go for it. “Go on.” He said.

“Allow me the chance to use my people, spread songs and stories about how the King is the Bruce come again, how he will not ignore Scotland, how he will make Scotland great, and how England and Ireland will work together with Scotland for the greater Albion that King Robert once promised. Allow me to do that, and these people will follow Episcopalianism to the end.” Campbell said.

James saw the sense in what the other man was saying, but he was not naïve enough to believe that he would do it without a price. “And what would you want in return?” He asked instead.

“Allow the King to restore my estates to me. The full titles. I am the Marquess of Argyll, not a mere Earl. Restore the estates and titles to me, and the west will be loyal until the end of days.” Campbell replied.

James considered this, he knew Princess Anne would need to be the final authority on this, and she had mixed feelings about Campbell, indeed he distinctly remembered her calling him an ingrate when she learned he had almost supported Monmouth during his rebellion. Still, the opportunity that he presented was too good to let up. So, with great consideration, James said. “I shall write to the King.”

Campbell smiled. “Excellent, I shall write to my people and get them to focus on the stories and songs for now.”

“Very well.” James said. Campbell rose, bowed and then walked out of the room. A moment later, another figure walked into the room.

“So?” James asked.

“He speaks truly, Sir. I think it could well work.” Lewis Gordon, cousin to the Duke of Gordon said.

“Very well, begin the preparations.” James commanded.

“Yes, Sir.” Gordon replied before bowing and departing.

Chapter 24: Sunderland
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 24: Sunderland

January, 1691

“I trust you are well enough?” The Princess asked. Her expression was one Robert had seen often enough on her father to suspect that she was not just asking after his physical health.

“As well as can be, Your Highness, thank you.” Robert replied.

The Princess nodded and then turned the conversation to another topic. “The war between the Emperor and France continues. However, recent reports as you are aware suggest that the French might be about to break through on the Rhine. It seems that the Duke of Lorraine’s death has greatly hampered the imperial war effort. This is greatly concerning.”

The Princess finished and Robert took up the conversation from there. “I agree that it is concerning, Your Highness. However, I do not think it warrants our armed involvement. At the moment, the French might be breaking through on the Rhine, but with the aid of the Portuguese the Spanish have driven them out of Catalonia for now. As for Italy, the French and Savoyard armies are being defeated with regularity and have not yet broached Milan.”

The Princess nodded. “This is true; however, the French are not likely to let go of anything just yet. They will return to Catalonia in due course, and this time the Portuguese won’t be there to aid Spain. Which leads me back to my initial query, what should we do?”

Robert thought on this. He could see where the Princess was coming from. In all his years serving her father and her uncle, he had dealt with the French often enough to know that King Louis was stubborn, convinced in his own rightness, and unlikely to ever accept a peace that would not benefit him. But he also knew that it was not to their benefit to engage in this war now. “The Spanish Netherlands are not under threat as of now, Your Highness. Whether that remains true in the long term, it remains true now. Therefore, we must consider that. I would recommend placing Lord Churchill on alert, and tell him to move his regiments southwards toward the border between the Republic and the Empire. that way they can engage in direct conflict if the need arises.”

“A wise choice.” The Princess said nodding along. “And of course it would make the Prince of Orange feel easier as well.”

Robert said nothing to that, he did not know where things stood between the Princess and her brother by marriage. Eventually, when it became clear that the Princess was expecting him to respond, he said. “Of course, Your Highness.”

The Princess nodded again, and then asked. “And your family? How are they?”

The change in topic would have thrown a lesser man, but Robert had been dealing with the Stuarts for years. He knew their minds sometimes wandered. “Robert is doing well enough, though I fear that whatever it was that caught him in Paris still affects him. Elizabeth and her husband have finally consummated their marriage, and Charles remains relatively quiet, though I think he will soon need to venture to Oxford.”

“A clever one, is he?” Anne asked referring to the son named after the King.

“Yes, quite clever. I think he would do better as Earl than Robert.” Robert said referring to his oldest son and namesake.

“And why do you believe that?” the Princess asked.

“Robert has the mould of a soldier; he thinks like one as well. Everything is about seeing someone as either an ally or an enemy. Charles sees the world for how it is, in shades of grey mixed together in one fascinating colour combination. Robert would do well in the army, whilst Charles would do well at court. But their birth order dictates it go the other way.” Robert said.

“Not necessarily.” The Princess said.

“Your Highness?” Robert asked intrigued.

“If you believe Robert is a soldier, then send him to one of the regiments stationed near your estates, allow him to get some training and see how he does. If you think Charles would do well at court, I will invite him to court to serve under my husband the Duke of Cumberland.” The Princes said.

Robert considered that, it would make sense and he did wonder why he’d not thought on that before. “I will do so, thank you, Your Highness.”

“Think nothing of it, Robert.” The Princess replied. “We must make the best use of the people we have.”

Robert nodded, he knew the Princess was trying to improve the quality of England, and so he would comply with this suggestion? But then there was another issue he wished to discuss before he retired back to his manor for the night. “Your Highness, if I may, might I give my thoughts on the campaign being waged in Scotland?”

The Princess looked at him, took a sip of her wine and then replied. “Go forward.”

Encouraged by this, Robert said. “Whilst I understand why the campaign has come about, I do think it is risky to give that much power to Lord Campbell. The man and his family have always been ambitious. He might say all the right things now, but there will come a time when he will try to do something that takes the momentum and the imagery away from the crown and toward himself.”

“You think he is being insincere?” The Princess asked.

“I do not think he is being insincere, just yet, Your Highness. However, I do think that he is doing all of this to ensure he gets some power. His father and grandfather both played dangerous games and lost. Campbell is also playing a dangerous game, but he has couched it in the terms of appealing to bringing peace to Western Scotland.” Robert answered.

“SO, what would you suggest I do?” The Princess asked.

“I would suggest you wait and see how this campaign of this goes. If by the summer session of Parliament, the west has quietened down, then you restore his titles to him. If it has not, you do not.” Robert said.

The Princess did not immediately respond, instead she simply took a sip of wine, and then it seemed when she had had enough she nodded. “You may go.” Robert rose, kissed the Princess’s outstretched hand, bowed, straightened and then turned and walked out.

As he nodded to the guards outside the room, he continued his walk. The hallways had people milling about, various attendants, lords and ladies, and some members of the Commons also, had gathered in Whitehall, in the attempt to outdo Versailles in its grandeur. If he were being frank, Robert found the whole thing slightly confusing. They were not French, but nor were they Puritans, and it seemed the longer Whitehall existed, the more French they were becoming.

He walked out of the main palace section, and out into the courtyard beyond. He nodded to the guards who opened the gate for him, allowing him to walk out. When he had been a younger man, he had stayed at court, engaging in all sorts of things. But now he was older, and he would like to think wiser. The time had come for him to retire soon. Robert, his eldest son and Charles would take the reins of power soon enough. He felt someone bump into him as he got onto Parliament street. “Apologies.” He said, the figure did not respond, instead they kept on walking.

How very odd. Robert thought to himself, though he did not dwell on it. His manor was only a few more paces away, and then he could settle down and engage in some reading. A figure dressed in deep brown came to him then. “Excuse me, Sir, might I stop you for a moment?”

Robert would usually ignore such people, but tonight he stopped. “Certainly. What seems to be the matter?” He asked.

The figure did not respond immediately, but instead, seemed to be searching for something. Just as Robert’s patience began to wear thin, the figure produced something and leaned forward. Robert felt a prick and then looked down and saw blood trickling out onto his clothes. He looked at the figure who simply replied. “Sorry, Sir, but it had to be done.” The figure shoved the thing into him further before walking away.

Robert felt it, he tried to call out, but nothing came. Instead he slumped to the floor and lay there, mere feet from his manor. He couldn’t move even if he wanted to.

Chapter 25: Law Lords
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 25: Law Lords

February, 1691

“It has been a month, gentlemen.” George Jeffreys, Lord Jeffreys and Lord Chancellor said. “And yet everything we have found has come back to the same conclusion.” He paused for dramatic effect. “That being that the only person who saw the Earl of Sunderland before he died was Her Highness the Duchess of Cumberland and she attests that he was well when he left her chamber.” That the Princess had been with the Duke of Cumberland and Lady Churchill in some strange act, when the servant had gone to tell her of what had happened, George left out. “This is not acceptable.”

“Truth be told, my lord,” Sir William Rawlinson MP and lawyer began. “It is not surprising that we have not been able to find anything more of note.”

“How so?” George asked, he was beginning to feel as though Rawlinson was more concerned with attacking him and the government than anything else, even if the man was allegedly a Tory.

“There were no guards patrolling the area from the palace to Sunderland’s manor, and as such they could not know what happened. It was pure luck that Sir Peter Cranbourne was heading to his mistress’s house, otherwise who knows how long Lord Sunderland would have remained there unseen.” Rawlinson replied.

Sir Peter Cranbourne, a major in the Grenadier Guards had found the body of the Earl of Sunderland late at night, as he had made his way to Parliament Road, where Sunderland’s manor house was. Cranbourne had gone to meet his mistress, who that was he would not say, but truth be told George was not much interested in that. He wanted to know what else had happened. And so, it was with this in mind that he said. “So, what do you suggest? That we have more soldiers patrolling the street from the Palace to Parliament Road? You know for a fact that most MPs and Lords do not like that. They say it reminds them of the Commonwealth.” He could not blame them, some of the soldiers were not desirable people to have on such a street.

“Well, they will have to get used to it, if they want to be safe, my lord.” Sir William responded. “That is the only way this can be prevented from happening again.”

“You believe this will happen again?” Anthony Keck, MP and lawyer asked.

“Yes.” Rawlinson responded.

“Why?” Keck asked.

“Because Sunderland was one of the most powerful men in the Kingdom. In all three Kingdoms, rather. If they went after him, they will try someone else. Hence why the members of the regency council all have improved security, and why most of the court has remained in Whitehall. The Princess sees this, even if the Lord Chancellor does not.” Rawlinson said.

George ignored the barb at himself, and instead decided to focus on something the man had said. “So, if this is a targeted murder, we must figure out who it was that did it. As I see it, there are four groups who could do it. The Puritans, Sunderland had always opposed them. The French, Sunderland was always a thorn in their side. The Covenanters, for his support of the Campbell plan, and then the Catholics.”

“The Puritans were destroyed politically due to the Exclusion crisis and their part in attempting numerous things during King Charles reign, I do not think they would risk going after someone as powerful as Sunderland.” Keck said.

“However, he did make an enemy of Devonshire for his derisive comments during a debate in the Lords recently, and he did reject Devonshire’s proposal of marriage for the new Earl of Sunderland.” Rawlinson pointed out.

“Devonshire does not command the Puritans, regardless of whatever nonsense is whispered. The Puritans despise him.” George said, remembering the discussions he’d had with his spies recently.

“Then that leaves the Covenanters.” Keck Said. “I do not think they would do it either. Sunderland was very clear about who he did and did not support, and he didn’t give verbal support to the Campbell plan until he spoke with the Princess and the council.”

“We’re going in circles.” Rawlinson commented drily. “Soon enough we’ll say that the Catholics didn’t do it either, or the French. Only those last two groups have real reason to do it, unless it is more individually motivated.”

George seized on that. “That is possible. Sunderland had made a lot of enemies during his time as a politician and court member.”

“But who?” Keck asked.

Speaking for the first time in this meeting, the deputy Lord Chancellor, and Lord Chancellor of Scotland the Earl of Melfort said. “Who did he argue with the most?”

“What do you mean?” George asked, he was starting to get tired now, he wanted to move onto other things but he knew he would not be able to until this was sorted.

“Who did he argue with the most out of everyone at court? He has been called the most powerful man at court, behind the King and the Duke of Cumberland. There must be a reason for that, and as such power attracts rivals.” Melfort said.

“Well Sidney Godolphin did become the new Secretary of State after his death, and Middleton had thought he might get it.” Rawlinson said.

“Godolphin wouldn’t do it, but Middleton might.” George replied thinking about the Northern Secretary, he was ambitious and cunning, but was he blind enough to get into this?

“Perhaps we should speak with him?” Keck suggested.

“Yes.” Melfort said then unusually eager. “Do so.”

George shared a look with Rawlinson, the sudden eagerness of Melfort was confusing to say the least, he had not detected any rivalry between Melfort or Sunderland before the latter’s death, perhaps there was more to it than he had thought. Either way he supposed it could not hurt to speak to Melfort. “Very well, we shall do so.”

He paused in his consideration then, perhaps there was another way to ensure the process of finding the killer went quicker as well. “We must introduce a law that provides us with a proper force meant for this sort of work. The current system of justices and constables is not sustainable.”

“What would you recommend?” Keck asked.

“An elite body, perhaps derived from the army, that would be able to keep order in the city, particularly near the palace and Parliament, and be able to carry out searches and investigations without needing to worry about offending anyone’s sensibilities.” George replied.

“Like what they have in France?” Rawlinson asked.

“Yes, but with adjustments. We would not have a Lieutenant General of Police, but instead they would report directly to the crown.” George said, assuming that was what the main difference would be. He would need to ensure that there was more done to differentiate it, if it were to stand a chance.

“Through an Act of Parliament or?” Keck asked.

“Declaration.” George said immediately. “Parliament will never agree to this, the fools that they are.”

“Then it had better be as tight as possible.” Rawlinson said.

Chapter 26: Middleton
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 26: Middleton

February, 1691

Charles Middleton, Earl Middleton and Secretary of State for the Northern Department sat in the chair opposite the Lord Chancellor and that idiot Rawlinson and wondered why he’d been summoned here, to the Star Chamber Room, where Charles I had once had people tried without anyone else present. Was he being found guilty of a crime? Was it to do with Sunderland? Of course, it was to do with Sunderland. He’d missed out on being promoted to Southern Secretary and Godolphin had been given the role instead, that rankled but it would do for now.

“Thank you for coming, my lord.” Jeffreys, the Lord Chancellor said. “We are here to ask you a few questions regarding Robert Spencer, Earl Sunderland, the former Earl Sunderland I should say.”

Charles looked at Jeffreys a man who was as adaptable as that animal from the new world which changed its spots. He had been a bloody fisted tyrant under King James, and now he was the one advocating due caution. It was ironic. “What about him?” Charles asked.

“Firstly, where were you at the time Sunderland was meeting with Her Highness?” Jeffreys asked.

Charles had heard of the line of questioning the Lieutenant General of the Police took in France, and this followed an almost similar starting point, it immediately had him on edge. “I was in my chambers with the Marquess of Halifax and the Earl of Crawford.”

“And what were you doing?” Jeffreys asked.

“We were discussing some of the recent works by Jonathan Swift, they had just arrived from Vienna. We were discussing their merits.” Charles said. Well they’d been doing that and Halifax had been trying to convince him to try some sort of white substance which came from the Spanish colonies, which was supposed to give a person a high. He had declined. He did not want anything being shoved up his nose, thank you very much.

“And how long were you all discussing these things?” Jeffreys asked.

“For about two hours or so. They left just before the strike of midnight, and then I spent some time with my wife before retiring to bed.” Charles said. His wife Catherine wanted another child, despite both of their advanced ages, and therefore they’d tried for about an hour.

“I see.” Jeffreys said making a note of this.

Rawlinson then spoke. “And what was your relationship with the previous Earl of Sunderland?”

Charles looked at Rawlinson, he truly did not like him. He was an over-eager MP and someone who was desperate for power. “As colleagues we worked together to ensure that the desires of the Crown were fulfilled.”

“Did you ever disagree with him?” Rawlinson asked.

“Of course I did. We are individuals not a collective. He had his views and I had mine.” Charles said simply.

“And what were those disagreements on?” Rawlinson asked.

“Various matters of policy, relating to France and the Empire.” Charles said.

“Anything that you can go into more detail on?” Rawlinson asked.

“No. They are issues that are still relevant today.” Charles answered.

“It would help us paint a more detailed picture if we could know.” Rawlinson offered.

“I cannot break the confidence of the King.” Charles replied primly.

“Very well.” Rawlinson replied. “Did you ever disagree with Sunderland on a more personal level?”

“No.” Charles answered. “I did not much care what the man did in his time away from government. We worked well together in meetings and that was all I cared about.”

“I see.” Rawlinson replied.

Charles looked at the two men before him and then asked. “Are you trying to see whether I killed the man?”

“Not at all, we are merely speaking to those who have worked with him.” Rawlinson said, though the glint in his eyes suggested he was lying.

“Then you will also be speaking with Sidney Godolphin and the others on the council?” Charles enquired.

“Naturally.” Rawlinson said.

“Is there someone else you think we should speak with?” Jeffreys asked.

“Danby.” Charles said immediately. “The man did not appreciate Sunderland playing a role in his downfall during the reign of King Charles. He no doubt has some grudge to hold.”

“We shall consider that. Thank you, Lord Middleton, you may go now.” Jeffreys said.

Charles nodded, rose, and then walked out of the room. He kept his silence as he walked through the hallways, all until he got back to his chambers, where Catherine was waiting for him. She immediately came to him then and asked. “Well?”

Charles held her and replied. “They think I had something to do with Sunderland’s death. No doubt Rawlinson heard the rumour Danby spread about myself and him.”

“You can’t be serious!” Catherine replied.

“I am, but I told them to look to Danby.” Charles said.

“Do you think he, did it?” Catherine asked.

“If anyone had the reason to, it was him. He wants a return to power, and he’ll do anything to get it.” Charles said.

“So, what now?” Catherine enquired.

“Now, we wait.” Charles said, leading his wife to the bed.

Chapter 27: The New Law
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 27: The New Law

May, 1691

Anne took a moment to gather her thoughts, then she looked at the gentlemen gathered around her. There was Lord Chancellor Lord George Jeffreys a man she respected greatly, the Attorney General of England and Wales Sir Thomas Powys another man she respected greatly, the Lord Advocate of Scotland George Mackenzie and then the Attorney General of Ireland Richard Nagle. They had all come to Whitehall to discuss the impending declaration that Jeffreys wanted her to sign into law, without putting it through Parliament. Anne had her concerns and she wanted them answered.

She held up the document which would if Jeffreys had his way put into law the creation of a Regiment of Police for the city of London, and lay the groundwork for police regiments across England and Wales, and Scotland and Ireland. Anne looked at the lords before her and said. “This document is perhaps the most crucial piece of legislation that this regency will ever have to discuss. I have examined it thoroughly, and have consulted with you all individually about it. I am still somewhat uncertain about having it passed without it going through Parliament for the proper scrutiny. However, I understand the reasoning. I do however wish to discuss the finer points of the matter.” She paused for breath and then continued. “Specifically the clauses which actually relate to the forming of the police regiment for London.”

Lord Jeffreys, the Lord Chancellor spoke then. “What specifically about them is giving you concern, Your Highness?”

“The clauses that state that they shall be able to enter into a person’s home without forewarning, to be able to search the property for whatever reason they deem sufficient. To me, that smacks a little too much of the Ship Money incident which so plagued my grandfather His Majesty King Charles.”

The Lord Chancellor looked as though he’d expected her to raise that concern and thus his response was calm. “I understand your concern, Your Highness. However, unlike with the Ship Money case, this search is only when there is a crime that has been committed that would require the police regiments to search through a person’s property, if it is pertinent to the case. What determines whether it is pertinent is set out in Articles 3,4 and 5 of the bill.”

Anne read through those articles briefly to remind herself and then asked. “And what is there to say that the captain in charge does not abuse them?”

“The fact that they are quite clearly stating that if there is a tie between the crime committed and a named individual, then they have the right. But the individual must be named first by two witnesses.” Lord Jeffreys replied.

Anne looked at the Attorney General for England and Wales Sir Thomas, and asked him. “Sir Thomas, you have spent much time examining such cases, you wrote the defining article on the Ship Money case, is what the Lord Chancellor telling us true and can there be no question of a challenge from Parliament?”

Sir Thomas was a man from the old school, who very rarely spoke without thinking in depth, the way he held himself now suggested that that was exactly what he was doing now. A moment passed and then another, and then he said. “I believe that Lord Jeffreys is correct, Your Highness. There cannot be grounds for a legal challenge on this matter because the Articles correctly and rightly determine when the regiments would be able to come into a person’s house and when they could not.”

“Is there anything else that could cause Parliament to cause chaos in this regard?” Anne asked. She had heard from the Earl of Shrewsbury that someone named Somers was gathering support for a legal challenge, whether or not he would be successful, she did not know, but she did not want to give him extra opportunities to be so.

“Nothing within the bill goes against the common law, Your Highness.” Sir Thomas responded.

Satisfied, Anne then turned to the Attorney General of Ireland. “Sir Richard, will there be any trouble getting this passed through the Irish Parliament?” She had spoken with Sir William Temple about Ireland, and the man had said that Ireland tended to follow England in step, and she wanted to know whether that still held true.

Richard Nagle, Attorney General of Ireland was not a knight of the realm, Anne knew, but she intended to make him one soon enough, hence she was preparing for such a discussion. “Ireland will follow England, and to the best of our abilities there is nothing objectionable with the law.”

Anne nodded her thanks, before turning to George Mackenzie, the Lord Advocate of Scotland George Mackenzie, a man her father had trusted before his death, and someone she had become fond of. “Mr Mackenzie?” She asked.

The man immediately responded. “In its current form, the bill is only applicable to England and Ireland, Your Highness. There are a few changes that would need to be made to ensure it sat well with Scots Law. However, I understand the changes would make it not sit well in England and Ireland, therefore I would recommend a few sentence changes and then leave the rest to me.”

“What sentences would need to be changed?” Anne asked intrigued. She would need to visit Scotland soon, perhaps when the King was old enough to travel, she would take him there.

Mackenzie looked at the document and then said. “Instead of saying things like ‘Here onward we shall insist on the right to search and find,’ I would change it in Scotland to ‘From now on we shall ensure the right to find the necessary tools to end crime are.’ It is a small change but it is significant. Especially with the campaign being waged by Lord Campbell in trying to bring the western coast of Scotland into line.”

Anne looked at Jeffreys who said. “I shall make the changes, Your Highness.”

“Good, I want those changes made before the order is finally confirmed.” Anne responded.

“But you shall confirm it?” Jeffreys asked.

“Yes, of course,” Anne replied. “I see no reason not to.”

Chapter 28: A Gambit Upon The Cross
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 28: A Gambit Upon The Cross

June, 1691

The work on Chatsworth House was coming to completion, the project which had started under his father was to be completed by the month’s end. William knew that there was more that needed to be done internally, but he had decided to invite the leading Whigs from Parliament to his home to discuss the latest bit of tyranny that had come from court. Gathered with him were, Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, Charles Montagu, Earl of Manchester, John Somers MP and up and coming lawyer, and then Henry Sydney a commander in the King’s army.

William cleared his throat and then spoke. “The Police Regiment Law smacks of the sort of thing that King Charles I would do. The Regency council might claim it is because of the murder of the Earl of Sunderland and their failure to find who has killed him that has led to this, but realistically, I think it is because they want to control what is done and said. The Princess knows what our motives were before her father died, no doubt she is trying to protect herself.”

“Agreed.” Charles Montagu said. “The fact she named the Earl of Monmouth as Captain General for the Police Regiment for London, shows that she is trying to take some of the supporters for the original plan away from us. She is being quite clever about it.”

“I would not be so sure about that.” Shrewsbury replied. “Many of the lords are indeed scared of what happened to Sunderland. Indeed, the Earl of Bedford has increased the security around his manor on Parliament street, whilst the Marquess of Halifax has been charged with increasing patrols in the palace grounds. There is genuine fear there.”

William looked at Shrewsbury, he was a clever man, and someone who William knew was dangerous, which was why he asked. “You do not seriously believe their claims, do you?”

“I do not see why you do not.” Shrewsbury retorted. “Yes, they might well be using Sunderland’s death as an excuse, but it is a fact that the lords and the commons are terrified of something like that happening to them. Therefore, I would suggest we tread very carefully before doing anything else.”

William looked at Somers and asked him. “John, you are the lawyer here, what is the legal position of this act?”

John Somers had written a tract some years back stating that Parliament had always had the right to decide the succession, and William had taken him up as his mentee. “Well, my lords, the position of the Attorney General is that the law is needed within the frames of defence of the realm, something which the crown has sole control over, as per an agreement made between King Charles II and the Restoration Parliament. Furthermore, in the time of serious concern, such as now, the crown also has the power to issue decrees that guarantee the safety of Parliament.”

William sighed that was not what he wanted to hear. “So, you’re telling me, that we can’t challenge this?”

Jon Somers shook his head. “Not at all, my lord, on the contrary what I am suggesting that because this police regiment law was created as a consequence of the death of a lord, it is Parliament’s duty to be able to analyse the law and propose amendments as we see fit.”

William noted the use of the we in what Somers said, and so asked. “And how would you recommend we go about doing that?”

Here Somers did not immediately respond, instead he thought carefully about his response, and then said. “We could always file a legal challenge with the Court of the King’s Bench, that would then require it be taken to the Lords, and we could file a challenge in Ireland also, I know one of the clerks on the roster there. However, the best course for us to take would be to push for a discussion through a humble address.”

“We don’t have the numbers.” Shrewsbury said immediately. “The Lords are majority for the crown, and the Commons is mainly Tory.”

“So?” William asked, thinking quickly on his feet. “I have the reach to sway many of the MPs who would nominally side with the crown on these matters. There are those who feel disgruntled over the fact that the Regency Council has taken this above their heads.”

“And what would you say?” Shrewsbury demanded. “That we are trying to prevent the Crown from dealing with an issue that has the majority of Parliament terrified for itself?”

“No, that we are trying to ensure that Parliament is involved in sorting out its own protection.” William shot back, he did not understand why Shrewsbury was being so obstinate about this.

“It won’t work. I have met with half the MPs in the Commons, they are all in favour of the decree, and they aren’t even Tories. We won’t sway anyone.” Shrewsbury responded.

William looked at Shrewsbury and asked. “What are you not telling us?” He wanted to say ‘me’ but knew that would be too self-involved, and so he waited.

“Parliament is scared. They will accept this law because they know that it is for their protection. Scotland has already agreed to the law; Ireland will do what we do. Therefore, we must find another reason to undo this.” Shrewsbury said.

“By forcing the Regency Council to overstretch itself.” William said finally realising what Shrewsbury was getting at.

“Exactly.” Shrewsbury said.

“Overstretch themselves beyond the scope of the law and then watch Parliament change its mind.” Somers said.

“How though?” Charles Montagu, Earl of Manchester asked.

William spoke then. “We must find a way to get them to think they are under threat without revealing ourselves. The only way we can do that is to play on their insecurities.”

“The insecurities of the Princess or the councillors?” Manchester asked.

“Both. We must amplify the role the Princess had in the plan against her father.” William said. “John, you still have those correspondence?”

“I do yes, I would need to make sure there was nothing there that could damage us first.” John replied.

“Excellent, we shall need them released soon.” William said.

Henry Sydney who had said nothing for the entire conversation spoke then. “We will also need to be on the alert for any forced military action. I would not put it passed people such as Perth and Jeffreys to suggest using the army if things get heated.”

William nodded he had thought of that himself as well. “Then we shall be prepared.”

Shrewsbury spoke then, but his words were not cautionary. “I shall speak with some members of the press to see how willing they would be to receive these letters.”

“Excellent.” William said.

Chapter 29: King's Daily
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 29: King’s Daily

August, 1691

“Make sure you include the full article about the heir to Saxony marrying the Empress’s sister.” Thomas Trenchard, editor, owner and publisher of the King’s Daily, the daily newspaper that was served to members of the court, said. “And make sure you include the drawing of the wedding as well, we know the Princess likes that.”

“A busy day then?” A voice enquired.

Thomas turned around and smiled. “Charles, how nice of you to come.” Charles Talbot a man that Thomas knew and admired, and considered a friend walked up to him then and shook his hand.

“I trust everything is going okay with the paper? I’m not disturbing you, am I?” Charles asked.

“Oh definitely not. We’re just putting the finishing touches on the paper, then it’s being sent out to the Palace.” Thomas said. “Thank you for the recommendation, by the way, we’ve just had a hundred copies sent off to Edinburgh for the Lord Chancellor of Scotland.”

“Not a problem.” Charles replied smiling.

“So, what can I do for you?” Thomas asked.

“What makes you think I’ve come to ask a favour?” Charles responded. “Can a man not come to see how his friend is doing?”

Thomas looked at his friend and then said. “Charles, my paper has been going since May of 1688, the King granted the license to me, and the first thing you came to me for was to publish that story about how the Bishops were wrong to go against the King. The King then gave you a nice little position at court. So, please, do not take me for a fool.” Perhaps he sounded a bit harsh, but the fact of the matter was he needed to make his friend see that he remembered everything.

Charles held up his hands. “Very well, you’ve got me.” The man then put some papers down on the table. “I wondered if you might be willing to print these in your paper.”

“What are they?” Thomas asked going to pick them up. Before he could Charles took them.

“They’re evidence of wrongdoing from members on the regency council.” Charles said.

Thomas narrowed his eyes. “Where did you get this from?” He was not sure how comfortable he felt about this. The regency council ruled in the King’s name, to suggest someone amongst them had committed wrong doing in this environment was he felt tantamount to treason.

“I found it left on Sunderland’s desk.” Charles said. “I’ve become friends with his son and the new Earl of Sunderland. The man handed them to me.”

Thomas looked at his friend trying to see if he was lying or not. He could not quite gauge him, so he said. “Okay. What is contained within them?”

Charles relaxed visibly. “They contain statements from several members of the court and of the King’s household testifying before Sunderland that members of the current King’s regency council plotted to have the King’s father murdered. Indeed, many of their statements suggest that the accident which saw His Majesty’s father killed, might not have been an accident.”

The words hit Thomas hard. He had admired King James, had seen him as a father, more of a father than his own had been, admittedly, and he found himself wondering whether such a thing could be true. “Do you believe them?”

Charles didn’t immediately respond, Thomas could see him hesitate, and it was in that moment that his journalist sense kicked in. something wasn’t quite right here, and he believed it stood with Charles. Deciding not to say anything for now, he remained silent and waited. Eventually Charles said. “I believe them, Thomas. There is a letter in Sunderland’s own hand, read it here.” A paper was produced. Thomas took it and read through it, he sighed then, he did not believe this was Sunderland’s hand, but he couldn’t know for sure.

“Okay.” Thomas said. “Give me the papers, I will print them. But know this, I am putting myself in grave danger.”

“I know, Thomas. I’ve come prepared for that.” Charles said, he handed the papers over to Thomas, and then took a big bag. “There’s enough money here to bribe two hundred members of the Police Regiment. If they come for you. You know what to do.”

“Leave the press, and move for the dock then take a ship bound for the Hague.” Thomas said, he and Charles had recited that mantra to themselves enough times over the years.

“Exactly.” Charles placed the money on the table and then said. “I trust you will do the right thing.” With that he turned and walked away.

Thomas waited and then when he was sure he was gone, he looked at the money. It was a lot, and with it he would not need to constantly rely on his cousin’s donations and harassment. However, something about the way Charles had been acting didn’t sit right with him. He picked up the documents and read through them, he noted a few oddities, and gasped when he saw one name right at the bottom, written finely, in writing that didn’t match her normal prose.

“Matthew.” He whispered. The boy who helped him with the printing came barrelling forward.

“Sir?” the boy asked.

Thomas put the documents down, but took the signed letter from Sunderland, and handed it to the boy. “Take this to the palace. Ask to see the Princess, and when you see her, tell her the spider has finally managed to weave its web.”

“The spider has managed to weave its web?” Matthew asked confused.

“Yes, she will know what it means.” Thomas said, at least he hoped she did. “Now go, quickly now.”

“Sir.” Matthew replied, bowing once before hurrying to the door behind the big press, where there was a passageway to the palace.

Chapter 30: Imperial Problems
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 30: Imperial Problems

August, 1691

Leopold read through the letter coming from the Rhine and bit back a sigh. “Salm reports that the French are breaking through on the Rhine. He states that the Elector of Brandenburg has begun giving him a hard time and demanding more command than the Elector of Saxony.” Leopold was beginning to find the Elector of Brandenburg far too ambitious for his own good. A good soldier he was, but all the reports suggested he was a terrible commander. “Salm believes that the French will retake Philipsburg before the season ends.” That was depressing reading. He looked at his ministers and asked. “Well?”

Immediately Salm’s relative Leopold spoke. “Sire, it is my belief that we must divert troops from the Hungarian front the Italian front to aid Salm. We cannot afford to allow the French to take Philipsburg again. If they do, then they will advance on Cologne and from there who knows.”

“Remove troops from the Italian front and the French will take Milan and threaten our southern border. We cannot allow that.” Leopold shot back.

“Then perhaps it is time we suggested the Princes raised more troops.” Leopold Salm suggested.

“That will require some sort of negotiation, of which we do not have the time for.” Leopold replied. He did not want to have to travel to Regensburg for the Diet, nor did he want to have to face the people who had told him his plan was doomed for failure.

“Then the only thing I can think of, Sire, is that more troops must be raised from Austria and elsewhere.” Salm said.

Leopold looked at Ferdinand his treasurer and asked. “Do we have the finance for that?” It was not just raising the men that needed to be a concern, it was funding their food, their weapons and their clothes and paying them.

“Yes, though something will have to give, Sire.” Ferdinand said.

Leopold said nothing for a moment and then he said. “We cannot allow the French to cross the Rhine, would that the Duke of Lorraine had still lived, he might have been able to turn the tide alongside Salm, but now we must do with what we have. Send word to Salm to fall back behind the Cologne barrier. Let Louis overextend himself, let us see what he has planned for this.”

Salm’s cousin noted that down and then asked. “What do we do if France tries to lay siege to Cologne.”

Leopold did not think they would, Louis wanted Philipsburg back, he knew trying to force Cologne would likely get him too much power and bring the Dutch into it, therefore, it was with that in mind that he said. “We destroy them piecemeal.” He did not think they could, but he would not say that out loud.

“Very well, Sire.” Leopold of Salm said.

“There is some good news at least from the Ottoman front.” Ferdinand said. He handed the letter to Leopold who read it quickly.

“Belgrade is secured. The Margrave of Baden has destroyed the Turkish host there.” He put down the letter. “Excellent.”

“Will the Turks sue for peace?” Leopold of Salm asked.

Leopold looked at the man and then laughed. “No, they will not, they will stubbornly try and keep hold of what little land they have left in our world. We must push them out completely.” Leopold knew for that to happen they’d need peace with France, which was why he turned to Ferdinand and asked. “What would be required to bring England and the Dutch into the war?”

Ferdinand looked at him briefly and then said. “Trade concessions, Sire. Her Majesty Queen Maria Antonia is Queen of Spain now, she can be the one to promise it. The Spanish Netherlands would need to accept it.”

Leopold thought on that, he did not know if that would do it, but then he thought that having Jakub Sobieski fighting on the Rhine had brought his father, the King of Poland into the war on Leopold’s side so perhaps this would a swell. But then he thought of something else. “What about sending some men to the Spanish Netherlands to ensure that it actually happens?”

“Sire?” Ferdinand asked.

“If we were to send a body of men to the Spanish Netherlands and made it clear we were going to send our daughter there, Louis of France would no doubt try and get involved to intercept the mission. If he tried to accost a Queen, and also sent men near the Spanish Netherlands, the English and the Dutch would need to get involved. After all, it violates any agreement they might have made with him.” Leopold said.

“It would be a risky move, Sire.” Leopold of Salm replied. “But it is one that might work. Our spies in Versailles have noted that the King of France is desperate to do something to end this war and get what he wants. He might well see this as a way to do that.”

“It would put Her Majesty in grave danger though, Sire.” Ferdinand pointed out.

“Yes, which is why we shall put it about that she is going to Brussels, but will instead someone else in her place.” Leopold replied.

That caused Ferdinand to pause and think, before he said. “I shall look into how to perfectly manage this, Sire.”

Leopold nodded his approval. “Do so.”

Chapter 31: Anne's Confusion
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 31: Anne’s Confusion

October, 1691

“Well?” Anne demanded of the men before her. “Has anything actually been found?” The anything she spoke of referred to the accusations in the papers that Thomas Trenchard had brought to her. accusations which contained a grain of truth, but which painted her as the villain, when really she knew who the real villains were.

George Jeffreys, Lord Chancellor and a man one day away from death it seemed, if his pale face was any indication took a moment and then said. “We’ve looked through the documents and we can agree with Your Highness’ assumption that the letter that they claim is the Earl of Sunderland’s is forged. How they did I am not sure, but we know it is forged, having looked through the entirety of the letters that the Earl wrote whilst in government.”

“Why do you think they’ve done this?” Anne asked referring to the inclusion of a forged Sunderland letter.

“Because for better or for worse, Sunderland’s memory invokes strong feelings, Your Highness. And ever since King James died, he has been seen as the last gasp of the Restoration era, and as a senior statesman. Should this be published then it would show that there were things that had been going on right under the nose of the King, led by his own daughter, no less. It would cause chaos the like not seen since the Duke of Monmouth got involved in the Rye House Plot.” Sidney Godolphin, 1st Viscount Godolphin and Southern Secretary said.

“But it would not be published in the gazette or any paper read by the common people. It would be published in the King’s Daily, had Thomas not come to us first.” Anne said.

“They want the court to distrust you, Your Highness.” Sidney said. “There are people here who served your father loyally, they would see you as a danger to the King and thus act to remove you. No doubt the plan would be to have you and other members of this council discredited and then to have Parliament choose new regents.”

“Like my sister?” Anne asked. She had begun wondering whether Mary was involved in this, the moment that she’d heard Shrewsbury’s name mentioned. He’d always had a fondness for her.

“Perhaps, though knowing the ignorance of the Whigs, more likely that Shrewsbury would propose one of the King’s illegitimate cousins, the Duke of St Albans for example.” Sidney said.

Anne recoiled from that thought. St Albans? He was a fool, a Whiggish fool. “Surely not. They would not despoil the regency by insisting on having an illegitimate son on it.”

“They might do, if they think they can get away with it.” Sidney replied. “We know that they are desperate, Your Highness.”

Anne sighed, she looked at Sir Francis and asked him. “Is there any way to bring a case against them on the evidence we have so far?”

“Not now, Your Highness.” Sir Francis replied. “There needs to be something larger and more revealing than what they suggest. It must be big enough to shock Parliament and the court.”

And it can’t endanger me or George. Anne thought to herself, not for the first time cursing herself for listening to Sarah and getting caught up in the scheme to replace her father. “What sort of thing?”

“Something that shows that it was not just Shrewsbury but Devonshire and others like them who were involved in the scheme to depose King James, that they were the leaders of the whole thing, and that were even planning on who to replace him with, that this person was not King James’ son but someone else entirely.” Sir Francis said.

Anne thought on that, she thought she might have something that could work, but she would need to do some searching. She looked at Lord Jeffreys and made a slight nod, the man nodded in response, he would do it for her. “Very well.” She said then, breaking the silence. “Let us move onto other matters. Mainly the fact that Emperor Leopold has made a new offer.”

Sidney spoke then. “It is an interesting offer, that much is for sure, whether the Emperor can guarantee the Spanish will uphold it I do not know.”

“You do not think he can?” Anne asked intrigued.

“I am not so sure. Queen Dowager Marianna currently rules Spain in her granddaughter’s name, and she has said that the Empire is going to her granddaughter, she has also said any negotiations about trade must be conducted with her. And so far our envoys have not been successful. I believe the Emperor is desperate. He knows the way the war is going with France, and that is against him. He needs something to show for his efforts, and this is what he is resorting to.” Sidney said.

Sir John Ernle, First Lord of the Treasury spoke then. “Lord Godolphin is right, Your Highness. It would be far too risky a move to make, when the financial benefits are not guaranteed.”

“Very well.” Anne said. She then looked at another letter which had arrived this morning, she opened it up and swore. “This might well change your mind, my lords.” She handed the letter to the Lord Chancellor who read it and swore, he then passed it down, the reaction was the same throughout. Once it finished, Anne looked at them and asked. “What now?”

There was silence, and then Charles Middleton, the Northern Secretary suggested. “Why not send Lord Churchill and his regiments southwards to ensure a protective escort for the Queen of Spain? Should France try anything they would be declaring open war on us.”

Anne looked to Sidney who nodded. “Lord Middleton makes a sensible point, Your Highness. It would encourage rapport between our men and the Emperor’s men and show Spain we are serious about our alliance.”

Anne thought for a moment and then realised that this could be used to appease the Spanish faction at court as well. “Very well, give the orders.” She rose then and dismissed the council, as she walked out of the room, she turned and twisted, three men from the Grenadier Guards followed her, they were a nuisance but after what happened to Sunderland, and with his killer still out there, one could not be too careful. Eventually she entered the nursery, nodding to the guards outside, and then to the guards inside. Her husband was there, watching over the King and their son and daughter.

Before she could speak she heard a delighted squeal. “Mama!” and before she knew it she was scooping up a three-year-old, who was her King, her half-brother and also like a son to her.

“And how are you, my darling?” She asked.

As the boy rattled off an answer, Anne found herself wondering where the boy’s mother was. Queen Mary had said she would return to visit on occasion, but so far she had not. Anne did not think the King even remembered his mother, hence why he thought she was his mother and not his sister. She didn’t have the heart to contradict him. As she listened to him talk about lions and other exotic animals she swore a vow to him then silently. I will protect you, my King, I will protect you from the schemes of men.

Chapter 32: Churchill's Defining Hour
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 32: Churchill’s Defining Hour

March, 1692

After months of doing exercises in the Netherlands and listening to the Dutch moan and complain about them, it felt good to be away. John would not lie to himself, he wanted something to happen. He was a soldier, this sitting around and waiting was not for him. He had earned a Lordship through his exploits in war, and he wanted to show he could do so again. They’d marched with permission to the border, where they had been ordered to wait for Queen Maria Antonia of Spain and her children. From there well, from there who knew what would happen.

There was a mood of tension around the camp, it had been a month since the Queen had supposed to arrive and still nothing. John looked at the men around him, all senior commanders in the English and Scottish army, part of the five regiments sent out with him. None seemed happy about this. “Where is she?” John asked.

Henry Mordaunt, 2nd Earl of Peterborough and the most experienced of them all said. “Reports say she is travelling northwards from Vienna and then toward Cleve and from there riding further northward.”

John looked at the man and wondered not for the first time whether his mind was going. “I know that my lord. I asked where is she now.”

“As to that, I could not say.” Henry replied bashfully.

“Where are the French right now?” John asked. He needed to know that before he could plan anything else.

“They are still pushing through on the Rhine, my lord.” Sir John Fenwick of the Regiment of King’s Foot said. “However, we’ve received word that a regiment or two under some French commander known as Catinat might be making its way northwards.”

“To engage with the Queen’s party or to enter the Spanish Netherlands?” John asked. If it was the former there would be outright war, if it were the latter, there would be outright war.

“We are not sure, my lord.” Fenwick replied.

“Well find out will you. I cannot operate on half known information.” John commanded. His patience was beginning to wear thin slightly with Fenwick. The man was obstinate and constantly saying things that made John doubt his sincerity. He would need to write to the Princess about this.

“Yes, my lord.” Fenwick said.

“What will we do once the Queen gets here, my lord?” George Hamilton asked. Hamilton was someone John respected, he had sense and his military brain had shone through during the exercises. “I know that we are going to escort her to Brussels, but what do we do during the course of the journey?”

John knew what Hamilton was asking. “We will ensure that she is provided for, and we will show her that England holds true to its alliance with Spain. And if needs be we will defend her from the French.” He hoped that last one would not be needed. No doubt if the French tried anything they would hide it behind bandits or paid mercenaries.

There was a brief silence, and then Henry Mordaunt spoke. “We had best be prepared for something more than a minor skirmish. I do not think the French will allow the Queen of Spain out of their hands. She might be married and such a thing might be an act of war, but the French are grasping. They need something to validate the war they are currently holding.”

John looked at Mordaunt. He knew the man was experienced, he also knew the man was not as sharp as he had used to be. Carefully, he asked. “What do you think they will do?”

“I think there are two things that will happen.” Mordaunt responded. “One is they will send a small host northwards, towards us, to force us to engage, they will then send a much larger force after the Queen of Spain. They will capture her and force her to sign a treaty with them. In that treaty they will humiliate Spain and the Empire.”

John looked at Mordaunt and asked. “Why? Such a thing would bring England and the Dutch in, it would be foolish.”

Mordaunt laughed. “King Louis is an old man, but he wants Spain, he has always wanted it. He wants it for its empire and for the silver mines and the prestige. He will do whatever it takes to get it.”

“SO, what do you suggest we do?” John asked.

“Write to the regency council and ask for more men. Ask for the army to be deployed and prepare for war.” Mordaunt replied.

Before John could say anything, a messenger walked into the tent and handed him a letter. John opened it and read it out loud. “Dear Lord Churchill, my commanders report that a French host is moving in on your position. They have received intelligence it seems that the Queen of Spain is heading in your direction. Prepare for a fight.” He put the letter down and swore.

Chapter 33: Schemes
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 33: Schemes

April, 1692

Her son slept soundly next to her, whilst her daughter rested in her arms. Being a mother was perhaps the best thing that had happened to her. It had given her a new perspective on life and removed much of the selfishness she had felt before. Instead of wanting something just for herself, she now wanted something that would improve the lot of her family. Leopold Maximilian, her son and heir was a kind child who asked all sorts of questions and her daughter Maria Margaret had started speaking and tottering around, much to delight of those around her. Yes, Maria Antonia knew why she was doing this and what she hoped to achieve. That they were away from her father was a boon as well, the Emperor had become more and more erratic as his war with the French had gone on and it scared her.

A man stopped by the carriage window. “Your Majesty.” The man said.

“Philip.” Maria greeted smiling, out of all her step-mother’s relatives, Philip was the one she liked the most.

“I hope everything is to your liking so far? We are not going to quickly or slowly for you?” Philip asked.

“Not at all, everything is just right, thank you.” Maria replied. She wondered how Philip was coping with being asked to do this. He was a soldier she knew, but he had been summoned from the war with the Turks to escort her to her destination, it must be frustrating.

“Good to hear, Your Majesty.” Philip said.

“And you, Philip? Are you well?” Maria Antonia asked.

“As well as can be, Your Majesty. I have my health and a good horse. I don’t need much else.” Philip said.

Maria wanted to role her eyes, Philip had always been like this, he’d play off some concern with a joke or a well meaning comment. They both knew that was not what she meant, or rather it was, but not in the manner that he had replied. “Truly?” She whispered.

Philip’s face hardened and then softened. “Truly, Your Majesty. All that business in Bavaria was nothing more than a distraction.”

Maria Antonia raised an eyebrow. She couldn’t understand men, and how they were so easily able to dismiss those they had trysts with. She would never be able to do that. “Really? It didn’t seem like it.”

Something shifted across Philip’s face. “Your Majesty, it was a simple mistake, it won’t happen again.”

Maria got the sense that the man didn’t want to speak further on it, and she had enough tact to know not to pursue it further, therefore she asked. “What other news is there? I’ve not been told anything for days now.”

Philip’s face softened. “The French fell for the bit of misinformation that the Emperor sent with our spies, they’re not marching on the English regiments, believing that they hold Your Majesty’s person.”

Maria whistled. “Do the English know this?” She did not think that the English would appreciate what her father had done, she knew she definitely would not.

Philip shifted slightly. “The Emperor mentioned something about delaying a mention of it to ensure that they did exactly what he wanted them to.”

Maria huffed. “He is going to cost us our allies by doing this.” She knew she should write to the English, but by now it was too late. Likely there had been some skirmish and then there would be war. “So, what does he hope will happen from there?”

“That they will be so outraged by this unprovoked attack from the French that they will have no choice but to enter the fighting.” Philip said.

“And if they find out that my father ensured this would happen?” Maria Antonia asked, she had never met the English regent but from what she had heard the lady was not a fool.

“The Emperor is hoping they will not.” Philip said.

Maria Antonia snorted. “I see.” She paused the carriage continued to move as did Philip, she could tell they were getting closer to the town where they were supposed to be, due to the sounds of a forge and something else. “What of my husband?” She asked. It was strange she and Jakub had been married for two years, but for half of that time he had been gone, fighting at the front in the Rhine. He wrote to her and she him, and she was beginning to feel something for him, strange though it was.

“His Royal Highness is well. His last report stated that he hopes to be able to venture to Spain with the regiment under his own command before the year is out. He also wrote that his own father has finally convinced the Polish estates to get involved and that an army is marching to the Rhine.” Philip said.

Maria nodded, she wanted to ask if he had asked for her, but also didn’t want to make things awkward between her and Philip, they had once courted after all. “That is good.”

The procession stopped, and Philip excused himself, he returned a few moments later and said. “We are here, Your Majesty.”

Maria poked her head out of the window and gasped. “It’s magnificent.” And it truly was, the Hague stood before them, like some sort of towering beast, welcoming them for sanctuary for now.

Chapter 34: Godolphin's Web
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 34: Godolphin’s Web

June, 1692

With the death of George Jeffreys, Lord Jeffreys earlier in the year from some sort of issue with his kidneys, the government-mainly Princess Anne and Sidney himself- had cast around for another lawyer to raise to the lord of Lord Chancellor and thus Lord Speaker of the House of Lords. They had found their man, not in Sir Thomas who had asked to remain as Attorney General, but instead in William Cowper, an MP who had defended the government line many times in court and elsewhere especially Parliament. He had been raised to the peerage as Baron Cowper and put into the Lords and the Chancellorship. Today Sidney knew, would be the day they saw whether he had been the right investment.

Cowper called for order and then said. “Today’s business, my lords, is to discuss the recent events in Europe, particularly as concerns the Spanish Netherlands. To present the government’s argument is the Viscount Godolphin.”

There were cheers as Sidney got up. He moved to the speaker’s box and said. “Thank you, my lord speaker. My lords, two months ago there was an attack on the regiments led by Lord Churchill by French forces under the command of one Marshal Catinat.” There were boos then. “Thankfully, Lord Churchill had the wits about him to defeat the forces opposing him and to retreat into Dutch territory. We have subsequently sent a query to the French government in Versailles asking about this, and have been told that it was an accident. Marshal Catinat has been disciplined and the French King has apologised.” There were cheers at that. Sidney went to continue, but before he could, Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury stood up.

“Point of query, my lord speaker?” Shrewsbury asked.

“Granted.” Cowper said.

Sidney wondered what Shrewsbury would say, he then remembered the evidence they had found, or rather the evidence that Sir Thomas and Lord Jeffreys had found before the latter’s death and he smiled to himself content in the knowledge of what he would bring before the house. Shrewsbury nodded his thanks. “My lords, if the lord opposite says that the government of the King has sought a reason from the French King and he says that it was a mistake, do they really expect us to believe that they are going to accept the French King’s apology as genuine?” there were murmurs of approval from Shrewsbury’s side. “After all, this is the same French King who once tried to get our King’s beloved uncle to convert to Catholicism in return for subsidies. This is the same King who promised to respect the division of Spain to someone not of his wife’s line, and then started this war currently ravaging Europe.” More cheers. “If the lord before me says he believes the French King, then he is a fool.”

There were loud cheers at that before order was restored. “Viscount Godolphin.” Cowper said.

Sidney moved to the speaker’s box. “Thank you my lord speaker. To answer the honourable lord’s claims, I do not for one moment believe that the French King is telling the truth. Indeed, we have received confirmation from our spies in Versailles, that this attack was deliberate. That they were under the impression we were going to have the Spanish Queen in our possession.”

Shrewsbury rose and immediately said. “So, then, this is an act of war!”

“If one were to view from it a binary point of view, yes, indeed, it is an act of war.” Sidney said.

“What is this nonsense that the honourable lord speaks of? There is no different point of view here. By attacking our regiment deliberately, the French King has declared war on us. That must be obvious to the lord.” Shrewsbury said.

“The lord is surely confused. The French King has publicly stated it was a mistake and has removed the offending commander. If we were to declare war on him now, we would be the guilty party. By accepting his apology false as it is, we come out looking better, and when the King of France learns of what we are doing next, he will push himself into a further corner.” Sidney said.

“And what further business is this?” Shrewsbury demanded.

Sidney did not immediately reply, he knew that things would get quite heated, he wanted to get the statement just right. “Under agreement with His Majesty’s regency council and the Her Majesty the Queen of Spain and the Dutch Republic, we shall be providing three ships from His Majesty’s Navy to escort the Queen of Spain from the Hague to Cadiz. They shall be under the command of Vice Admiral the Duke of Grafton.”

With that statement, Sidney knew he had gotten Shrewsbury in a pickle. What line of attack would the man go for now? “And by doing this you are actively challenging the King of France, and putting at risk the lives of not only our own sailors, but the Queen of Spain herself.” Shrewsbury turned to the Lord Speaker. “My lord speaker, my lords, I vote that by doing this the right honourable lord is in contempt of the Crown and move to bring a vote of impeachment against him.”

Sidney was momentarily surprised by this, he had thought Shrewsbury would go another way, but he kept his expression blank and waited. Cowper looked at Shrewsbury. “And what reasoning do you bring for this most serious of accusations?”

“Firstly we have reason to believe that he was the one who instigated the creation of the Police Regiments without approval of this Parliament as the Case of Proclamations from 1611 specifically states is necessary. Secondly by encouraging the Regency Council to allow for ships from His Majesty’s Royal Navy to help transport a sovereign whose Kingdom is at war with France, he places our sailors in grave danger. He also risks provoking another war. It is the height of irresponsibility.” Shrewsbury said.

Excellent, you fool Talbot, I’ve got you now. Sidney thought to himself. Cowper looked at him. “Do you have a response, Viscount Godolphin?”

“I do, my lord speaker.” Sidney said. He produced the document. “I hold in my hands evidence that the honourable lord Shrewsbury attempted to produce a forged letter and other such papers that he would use to accuse Her Highness the Duchess of Cumberland and the King’s own sister, of treason.”

There was a loud shout at that, from both sides of the House, the Princess was very popular. “May we see this evidence?” Cowper asked.

Sidney handed the documents in question to the Lord Chancellor’s aids, they handed it to Cowper who read it. Sidney remained silent, his heart hammering, eventually Cowper spoke. “What do you propose to do now?”

“I propose that this House open an investigation into the Earl of Shrewsbury and any associates of his such as the Earl of Devonshire, for treason of the highest sort against the King.” Sidney said. He watched Shrewsbury’s face whiten when the documents were put before him.

“Do you disagree with this assertion for a vote?” Cowper asked him.

Shrewsbury could not deny it in good faith, Sidney knew, therefore, when he reluctantly said. “I do not, my lord speaker.” Sidney knew he had won.

Chapter 35: A Mother's Heart
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 35: A Mother’s Heart

September, 1692

“I still don’t understand why you read these letters but don’t visit your son.” Francesco, Duke of Modena said to his sister Mary.

Mary had had this conversation with herself many times, and still the answer remained the same. “I do not want to make things more difficult for my son than they already are.” That was the truth, she knew how it would look if she as a Catholic ventured to England right now.

“What?” Francesco asked sounding confused. “You are the boy’s mother, his sister has herself invited you numerous times to come and see your son. She writes monthly reports on how he is getting on for you. You read them, and I know they are the best part of your month. So, why aren’t you going to see him? It makes no sense.”

“I’ve already told you, Francesco.” Mary replied, her patience wearing thin.

“Well, I don’t believe you.” Francesco said.

Mary looked at her brother and asked. “Why? What reason would I have to lie?” She knew what reason there was, but she didn’t want to admit it to herself.

“You are scared. When Princess Anne offered you the chance to stay in England and be there for your son, you left. You took the easy way out, and now you’re scared that if you go back you won’t be able to leave. You don’t want to see your son because you know that if you do that you won’t want to leave. You can say that your presence would put him in danger, but I think you know that’s a lie. It wouldn’t put him in danger, but it would ruin this image you’ve constructed for yourself.” Francesco ranted.

“And what image is that?” Mary asked.

“The image that you can be okay having given birth to the boy, having promised his father that you would ensure he was raised properly, that you can be okay with having him raised by his half-sister, and by a court that is using him. That you can be okay with knowing that the boy refers to his sister as his mother. I know what that did to you. I saw it on your face.” Francesco said. “SO, again I ask, why?”

Mary looked at her brother, she knew that look on his face, she knew that if she gave the same answer as before, she would not hear the end of this. And she truly did want to hear the end of this and move on. So, reluctantly she said. “You are right.” Her brother harrumphed and Mary pressed on. “I know that if I go back to London, I will not want to leave, nor will I be able to. I cannot bear the thought of my son knowing someone else as his mother, but it must be that way. If that makes me selfish then so be it.” her brother was about to speak, so Mary raised a hand silencing him. “I also know that if I go to London now then things will get even more complicated for Princess Anne. After all the opposition is trying to turn the proceedings against them into one against her. They are accusing her of crimes that she says she has not committed. My presence there during such a period could be used against her in ways I cannot imagine. I do not want to do that to her.”

Her brother looked as if he were about to protest, but instead he simply nodded and instead asked. “Do you think she did what they are accusing her of?”

“No. Anne is not so foolish as that. I do however, have no doubt that the people she is accusing of treason committed it.” Mary said.

“Why?” Francesco asked.

Mary thought back to her own impressions of the men who were now standing accused and said. “Devonshire has hungered for power since the moment he knew what it was. Shrewsbury is devious. He left court very quickly during the Seven Bishops issue. As for the others they are all people who follow on from where the other two lead.”

“So, what do you think will happen now?” Francesco asked.

“Let us just say it is a good thing you married Charlotte and not a French princess.” Mary said referring to her sister by marriage Charlotte of Brunswick Lunenburg who her brother had married earlier in the year and who was now heavy with child.

Francesco laughed. “So, I was right to go against you?”

Mary said nothing for a moment and then sighed. “I suppose you were, yes.”

Chapter 36: Trial By Peer
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 36: Trial By Peer

November, 1692

William kept his face blank as the lords filed in, he was sat at the front of the hall, with the government’s lawyer, the Attorney General Sir Thomas Powys, Barons Powys facing him. The Earl knew that the fate of his family rested on his trial. How it had come to this he did not know, they were supposed to get away with it and diminish the prestige that the Princess had. Now, they were all facing trial, and the Princess was likely to be able to shape opinion in Parliament for the next decade. Despite his influence in the Commons, William had been outflanked by Robert Spencer 3rd Earl of Sunderland and son of the deceased 2nd Earl, who had used his patronage powers to convince the moderate Whigs to vote in favour of the Articles of Impeachment that had been placed before the Commons. Now here he was.

The Lord Chancellor, a green boy named Cowper was presiding. “Order, order.” The Lords fell quiet. “We are gathered here today to begin the trial of William Cavendish, Earl of Devonshire on several accusations of treasonable intent. The procedure is the same as that that was used for the trial of his peers the Earl of Shrewsbury and Baron Sidney.” The Lord Chancellor said nothing for a moment allowing what he had said to settle in, he then turned to the Attorney General and said. “Sir Thomas you may begin.”

“Thank you, my lord.” the newly ennobled Sir Thomas said, he would be retiring after this case, William knew, and would no doubt want to end on a high. “My lords, the accused knows what he has done, but I shall repeat it for the benefit of you all. He stands accused of forging a letter in Her Highness the Princess Anne Duchess of Cumberland’s hand, in order to falsely accuse her of treasonable intent. He stands accused also of being the one behind a plot to remove His Majesty’s father King James from the throne and to install a new monarch upon the throne, and that this plot is still ongoing. Those are the charges before him, Lord Devonshire, what do you have to say?”

William looked at Sir Thomas, only at Sir Thomas and at nobody else. He said nothing for a beat, and then replied. “I deny the charge that I had a hand in forging the letter. That was all Shrewsbury’s work. I knew nothing of his intent to do so, and the first time I heard about it, was when I was told of what had happened.”

Sir Thomas looked at him and asked. “And how did you feel when you heard this?”

“Disgusted.” William said. He knew he was lying, but he had to keep his lines straight for the good of the family. “I could not believe the man had done something like that.”

“And why do you think he had done it?” Sir Thomas asked.

Careful, he wants you to fall into his trap. William’s mind warned him. again he took a moment to reply and then said. “Because he had become convinced that the regency council under the Princess was a threat to the order established after the restoration.” It was half true.

“And why then if you think that you had no knowledge of what he intended to do, the man said quite clearly that you were one of the few who knew what he was planning to do and that you even encouraged it?” Sir Thomas asked.

William wanted to swear then, he should have covered his ears when Shrewsbury had said that, but instead he had actively gone along with it. He knew to admit to that would mean his death and the failure of his family. He could not allow that; he had worked far too hard for that. So, taking a deep breath he said. “I do not know. Shrewsbury is someone who wishes to survive at all costs, he knows that he could not hope to survive on his own therefore he wishes to bring down my name with slander.”

Someone snorted on the government benches, it sounded oddly like the Marquess of Halifax, the man who William had come to loathe with every fibre of his being given the conversations they had had during the reign of King James’ father. Pushing down his irritation he looked at Powys. “I see, so it is slander. But what of the accusations made by the Earl of Shrewsbury that you were also part of a plot to remove the King’s father, as well as the King himself. That you were going to spread false rumours about the King’s birth?”

“I…” William began, and before he could continue Sir Thomas added.

“Bearing in mind that this House has seen the evidence of letters between yourself and Prince William discussing plans and plots and the gathering of support.”

William hesitated then, he knew then that perhaps he was dug into a corner with no possible way out other than to confess to one crime, but phrase it in such a way as to not make it a crime. “I admit that I was part of discussions with Shrewsbury and others about how to handle the future of King James’ reign. The man was breaking everything that his brother King Charles had worked for, and things were getting desperate. However, at no point did I ever consider removing King James from the throne. The discussions with Prince William were simply about how to handle the King, and asking him to mediate in a dispute with the King.”

There was another snort from the government benches, which prompted Cowper to say. “I implore the lords to maintain decorum during this proceeding, thank you.”

Sir Thomas looked at him, and as he looked back, William got the feeling that his very being was being examined down to his soul. It made him shift uncomfortably. “And the claim that you were going to deny the King his right to the throne and invite Prince William to take the throne?”

“Completely false, I would never commit such treason. The King is the King.” William said, he then added. “Furthermore, King James, God Bless his soul, died in an accident, so whatever disputes we might have had with him died with him. I am loyal to the King.”

William held his breath as Sir Thomas seemed to consider this, the man then said. “Very well, the government has no further questions.” Sir Thomas sat down.

William did not exhale until the Lord Chancellor said. “We shall take a short break, before hearing evidence from further witnesses.” As the man banged his gavel, William exhaled and then slumped down in his chair. He was exhausted.

Chapter 37: Reckoning
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 37: Reckoning

November, 1692

Anne arrived at Somerset House, the London residence of the Duke and Duchess of Somerset who were two of her closest friends and hurried inside. She had come as soon as she had heard the latest from the trials of the traitorous peers Shrewsbury and Devonshire, and had asked Sidney Godolphin and Sir Thomas as well as the Duke of Somerset to be present when she arrived. As she was shown into the Duke’s solar, she was happy to find them there. They bowed before her and then took their seats once she was seated.

“Well?” She demanded. “How is it going?”

“About as well as we can hope, Your Highness.” Sidney said. “Shrewsbury looked completely defeated during the questioning.”

“He did?” Anne asked, that surprised her, she could not imagine Charles Talbot looking as though he might give up.

“Yes, Your Highness.” Sir Thomas replied. “He will be easy to break if more questioning is needed.”

Anne raised an eyebrow, it had been months already of investigation and then questioning. She hoped that this day would see it all end. “You don’t think such a thing is necessary, do you?”

“I do not think so, Your Highness. Shrewsbury and Devonshire spoke today. Sidney and Somers both spoke yesterday. The Commons voted for impeachment a week ago, so now the decision must be made.” Sir Thomas said.

Anne knew that she could not ask what had been said during the trial until it was done, so instead she asked. “So, where do we go from here?”

“We only have Thomas Trenchard to question and then it will go to a vote.” Sir Thomas said.

“Good.” Anne replied. She knew Thomas had been briefed on what to say by Sir Thomas and by Cowper. “And then we can move on from this and onto other things?” She asked hopefully.

“Yes, if the Lords finds reason to find them guilty of treason then the Commons should follow suit and then it will be for you to decide whether it goes for hanging or something else, Your Highness.” Sir Thomas replied.

“You do not think the Lords will find them guilty?” Anne asked, a fear coming into her mind then. If the Lords didn’t do that, then her own position would be doubly difficult.

“I am confident they will, Your Highness. The evidence is quite high and shows that Shrewsbury was a ring leader for this cabal of theirs. However, some of the lords there owe their positions in society to Devonshire, or Shrewsbury’s influence. Furthermore, there are those who know that both men have secrets on them.” Sir Thomas said.

“Danby, being the main one.” Sidney said. “You could tell they wanted to say something on him but didn’t.”

Anne looked at him and asked. “What do you mean?” She had always thought Danby was one of the more fanatically loyal men to her uncle and father.

“Thomas Osborne looks as if he aged a great many years since his elevation to the peerage and his time in exile from court, Your Highness. There was talk outside of the House, that something had happened between him and Devonshire that meant that he was Devonshire’s man now.” Sidney said.

Charles Seymour, Duke of Somerset nodded. “Indeed, I had heard that as well, Your Highness. What that thing is, I do not know. But I would keep a careful eye on him.”

“Should I invite him back to court?” Anne asked.

“Oh heavens no!” Sidney said immediately. “He is old and finished.”

“So, what do I do with this information?” Anne demanded.

“Nothing yet, Your Highness. Allow this trial to finish and then we can see what to do.” Sidney said soothingly.

Anne nodded and then said. “You had best return to Parliament then, before they notice your absence. I shall go first.” With that she stood, nodded to them all and then walked out. As she made her way through the hallway and back into the carriage, she wondered at what Devonshire had on Danby. Perhaps she would need to invite his son into court, and tempt him with a peerage himself, to make Danby move away from Devonshire. Yes, she’d speak with George about it after all this business was done and proceed from there.

She got into the carriage, and told the horseman to go, as the horse moved, she winced slightly. Her leg was paining her again. She’d need to see the doctor about that as well.

Chapter 38: The Final Decision
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 38: The Final Decision

November, 1692

William Cowper, Baron Cowper and Lord Chancellor of England sat in a chair beneath the gilded throne, he watched and listened as the lords of the realm walked back into the chamber after a brief recess for lunch. He saw Somerset, Godolphin and Powys all walk in together and knew that they had been to see the Princess. He frowned at that. He did not approve of such meddling, but understood it, given the fact that the Princess had been dragged into all of this because of Shrewsbury and Devonshire. William had learned a lot from the Princess during his short time in office, and he had to admit, were she not married to the Duke of Cumberland, he might have asked her to marry him. He cleared his head of such thoughts, and as the last lord walked in, he nodded to black rod to shut the doors.

The lords fell silent and so he spoke. “My lords, we are here now, in this final session of the day to reach a conclusion on a matter that has impacted all three Kingdoms. As the peers accused are English they are facing trial in England and in this most august house. The crimes are of high treason, of forging a letter in the name of a member of the King’s family, alongside plotting to depose a King with the connivance of a foreign power. The accused are Charles Talbot Earl of Shrewsbury, William Cavendish Earl of Devonshire, Henry Sidney Baron Sidney and John Somers. The latter has faced his trial in the Commons and been found innocent. As of this morning, Henry Sidney had met the Princess in Whitehall and pleaded guilty to his crimes and surrendered himself to the guards.” There was a wave of whispering at that, William had been informed of this by Black Rod during the recess, he could suspect that was why the Duke of Cumberland was in such a good mood. “We now shall move toward the deciding judgement.”

William raised a hand and black rod walked forward, with the rod on their shoulder they said. “Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury is accused of high treason of plotting to remove the King and in forging a letter to pin the blame on Her Highness the Duchess of Cumberland.”

“How does the house find this man?” William asked.

The Duke of Cumberland as the only legitimate royal peer in the House stood up first and said. “I find him guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” silence followed his statement.

The Duke of Norfolk the senior most non-royal peer in the House stood up then and said. “I find him guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” he said down.

Next came the Duke of Berwick who as the King’s oldest half-brother, though illegitimate had been given a place of honour in the Lords. “I find him guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” on it went, Duke and Earl and Marquesses all found Shrewsbury guilty, the man who was sat in a bench down the way from him gradually shrank in size and stature until they got to the Earl of Danby who looked frail.

“I find him not guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” the man said, there was some whispering at that, but the proceedings continued, the tide changed slightly, the odd not guilty with the more common refrain of guilty.

Eventually the last lord had spoken and delivered their verdict. William cleared his throat and looked at his counters, they handed him their paper. He read it and then announced. “In the matter of high treason, the Earl of Shrewsbury has been found guilty by 350 votes to 70. He shall be dealt with in the matter found fitting under the Treason Act of 1351, that act being hanging.” William banged his fist onto the arm of his chair.

Shrewsbury was led away, his eyes downcast, his body shaken. Once he was gone, Devonshire was brought in. Now this was a man who was dangerous, William could tell. He looked arrogant, but at the same time placid. What schemes he was plotting within himself who knew. William cleared his throat as Devonshire was placed on the chair where his colleague Shrewsbury had once sat.

“In the case of William Cavendish, Earl of Devonshire the man is accused of plotting to remove the King and to place blame on the matter into the hands of the Princess. How does the house find this man?” Black Rod asked.

The Duke of Cumberland rose then, and this time there was complete malice in his face. “I find him guilty, upon my honour, my lord.”

The Duke of Norfolk rose then. “I find him guilty, upon my honour my lord.”

The Duke of Berwick rose next. “I find him guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” and so it went more and more the votes went against Devonshire. But then something unusual happened.

The Earl of Pembroke stood up and said. “I find him not guilty, upon my honour, my lord.” and the tide changed, more and more the verdict of not guilty returned, and William could see Devonshire getting more and more smug as each verdict came back, eventually when the last man had said his piece, William looked to his counters who handed him their papers.

William unfurled it, looked at it, looked at it again and then said. “In the judgement of William Cavendish Earl of Devonshire, the house has found by 220 votes to 200 votes in favour of the not guilty verdict.” William looked at Devonshire and said. “You are a free man.”

The house erupted into a shouting match, but William noticed how through it all Cavendish remained upright, an apparent smirk on his face. It would be an image William knew he would remember for as long as he lived.

Chapter 39: Marie Louise
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 39: Marie Louise

March, 1693

The differences between Spain and Versailles were clear to her now, more so than ever. Spain was dark and grey, under the oppression of a matriarch who did little but bark orders and give little in return, trying in some way to maintain an age that had long since passed. Her husband in Spain had been beyond any sort of means to do anything to help her. Yes, he had loved her, and in her own way she had loved him, but there was nothing physical for them, for he could not be physical. In Versailles and Medoun there was merriment and joy, as well as love for her. Her husband now, the Dauphin of France the second most powerful man in all of Christendom, loved her and she him. their childhood romance rekindled after a year and a half of marriage, with a child newly born, a girl who they had named Maria Theresa after his mother. They made love almost daily, and Marie Louise had come to regard his children by his first wife as her own, and so it went.

She put down the letter from her father and said. “The King is going to seek peace with the Spanish and the Austrians.” She knew her former mother by marriage would rally against it, not trusting anything that her now father by marriage and uncle said or did. But she also suspected that the new Queen, freshly arrived in Spain would want peace.

“I know.” Her husband said. “The King mentioned it to me when I was there last.” There being Versailles and the council, she did not quite understand why her husband did not attend the meetings. She heard the words that the courtiers thought him foolish and stupid. But he was smart, just not with books or in the way his father was.

“Do you agree with the supposed peace terms?” Marie Louise asked.

“Bar and Lorraine, and some island in the new world?” Louis replied. “It is not negative.”

“But it is unlikely to get any support from those who did not fight the war.” Marie Louise said, she was of course referencing her cousin the King of England and his regency council, as well as her other cousin the Prince of Orange and his Dutch Republic.

“They cannot complain.” Louis replied. “We provided them with a chance to get involved, they did not take it. This is between us and Spain now.”

“And Austria.” Marie reminded her husband.

Louis did the same thing his father did, he shrugged and waved a hand dismissively. “Austria is dead in this war now. They cannot keep going. They will accept what is handed to them.”

“And you think the Spanish who fought two wars over this land that the King now wants, will accept it?” Marie Louise asked. “I know how they think, they won’t. they would rather keep fighting than accept it.”

“Well it’s not as if we can demand Naples and Sicily, is it? We didn’t do well in that front at all, indeed that’s half the reason the King is now pressing for this treaty requirement.” Louis replied.

“So, instead of pushing for something you know for sure the new Queen of Spain is sure to give up, you want her to give up Bar and other areas of the Spanish Netherlands that a war was fought over a decade ago?” Marie Louise asked. “I think you are missing the essence of the thing here.”

Louis raised an eyebrow at her. “And what might that be?”

“Italy is a noose around the Spanish throne’s neck. They need to constantly get involved there. It made sense when there was a Habsburg ruling Spain, but now the woman who sits the throne will give it over to a Bavarian when she dies. There is nothing stopping her agreeing to that change. Naples and Sicily, and a crown for Philippe. Think about it.” Marie Louise said.

Her husband didn’t say anything immediately, he sat in a long silence, and then eventually said. “I shall see what I can convince my father of.”

Marie Louise kissed his cheek then before adding. “There’s another thing I wanted to raise with you.”

“Is this to do with your brother’s marriage?” Her husband asked sounding tired.

“Yes.” Marie Louise replied. “I will not allow my brother to marry an illegitimate girl, even if she is your half-sister, I am sorry, but that is not acceptable.”

“My father is determined to see her married somewhere.” Louis said.

“Well he has delayed for this long, I am sure he can wait for a little longer.” Marie said.

“Who would you suggest he marry then?” her husband asked.

“The Queen of Spain’s sister by marriage.” Marie Louise said.

“You cannot be serious.” Her husband exclaimed.

“I am. It would be the perfect way to soothe things over, and ensure that the King of Poland remains firmly within our camp.” Marie Louise replied.

Louis sighed. “Fine, I shall bring this up with the King when we visit Versailles next month.”

Again she kissed her husband’s cheek and said. “Thank you.”

Chapter 40: Treaty
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 40: Treaty

May, 1693

Leopold took a moment to compose himself, he’d just been told by his wife that their son Joseph had been found in bed with a woman some six years older than her, and that this woman was the sister by marriage of his new finance minister. He had to applaud the gall of the boy, but also curse him. This would require strict action to prevent further scandal. He cleared his throat and then spoke.

“This war that has been raging across the Empire for the past few years has been one of a mixed sort for us. Whilst we have triumphed in Italy, we have done badly on the Rhine and let us not even speak of Spain. We failed to bring the English and the Dutch into the war, and thus now we find ourselves looking at needing to negotiate a peace.” He looked at the aforementioned finance minister Karl von Auersperg, son of the late Ferdinand and asked. “Do we have much financial resources left to pursue further military action.”

Unlike Ferdinand who would have found a way to conjure the funds out of thin air, Karl simply shook his head. “We do not, Sire. The last of the loan we received from the English is due to expire soon. We need the money we have raised to pay off the English and to ensure our soldiers are paid as well. With what is happening in France and along the Rhine and in Spain, continuing the war would be disastrous for us.”

Leopold noticed that the man didn’t call the plague by its name, but he acknowledged it all the same. “Very well, this was inevitable. We have at least triumphed over the Ottomans for now.” Belgrade was secure which was a relief, and the Ottomans it seemed were busy killing one another as was their wont. He turned then to Albert Hohenlohe, the newly appointed foreign minister. “What news from the French then?”

Like his ancestor Hohenlohe was a bear of a man, with a thick moustache and beard, and a bit of a belly. He was fierce in battle and even more fierce at court in getting what the Emperor wanted, Leopold acknowledged that and knew the man had ensured the English had provided the loans for the duration of the war through his gilded tongue. “The French are offering revised terms, Sire.” A pause and then. “In return for recognising Her Majesty Maria Antonia as Queen of Spain, they wish to have Your Imperial Majesty recognise their permanent possession over Lorraine and Bar. They have also asked that Her Majesty the Queen of Spain grant them the island of Saint Dominque, and they wish for the border with the Empire to be recognised as that which they have conquered during this war, alongside recognition of their possession of some towns in the Spanish Netherlands.”

Leopold sighed. He knew that his sister and his daughter could never realistically agree to those concessions in the Spanish Netherlands, especially as it would leave them humiliated long term with the English and the Dutch. “And what counter proposals have the Spanish given?”

“They have offered Naples and Sicily to the French specifically to the Dauphin with the suggestion that they be deigned to the Dauphin’s son Philipp upon the boy’s majority making him King of the region.” Albert said.

Leopold shook his head. “That is absolutely unacceptable. Such a thing would place the Bourbons right on our doorstep in Italy, and would make some of the Duchies nothing more than French puppets. We cannot accept that proposal.”

Albert nodded. “Agreed, Your Imperial Majesty. That is why I have come up with a counter proposal to present to the French. One which will also make the English happy.”

Leopold was intrigued and impressed, though he had long suspected that Albert would be able to do something like this. “Go on.” He commanded.

“I propose that we accept the demand for Philippsburg, Lorraine and Breisach to remain with France and forming part of the border with the Empire. However, we demand the return of Freiburg and demand that King Louis not place a candidate for the Archbishopric of Cologne when the seat next becomes available. Furthermore, we invite the English and the Dutch to place garrisons in the towns of Ypres and Namur. We also get the Elector Palatine to agree to not having a further Protestant Elector of the Palatine.” Albert said.

Leopold thought on this, it would give the French more power, but at the same time knowing Louis there likely would be another war in the future, a war in which they could reclaim those territories lost in this one. “And how would we get the Spanish to accept?”

“The presence of allied garrisons within Ypres and Namur would be insurance, to ensure the French did not try and overextend their reach. It also ensures the English and the Dutch have an interest in maintaining Spanish dominance there.” Albert said.

Leopold thought for a moment, it was not the perfect plan, but it was the only one he felt comfortable with. Therefore, with great reluctance he said. “Very well, we shall have this plan proposed.” He only hoped his daughter would see sense and agree to it as well.