An Unexpected Prince

Even if the latter brought peace?
Often times, bitter enemies are forced to accept marriages that wouldn't come around in times of peace. When there's a stalemate and both sides want peace, anything is possible. If Austria has a firm upper hand, a Bourbon son marrying a Spanish Queen/infanta is not likely. If France has a firm upper hand, such a union is in play.

VVD0D95

Banned
Often times, bitter enemies are forced to accept marriages that wouldn't come around in times of peace. When there's a stalemate and both sides want peace, anything is possible. If Austria has a firm upper hand, a Bourbon son marrying a Spanish Queen/infanta is not likely. If France has a firm upper hand, such a union is in play.

Very true

VVD0D95

Banned
Then the switcheroo may be arranged, whereas Duke of Chartres marries OTL Duchesse d'Anjou/Queen of Spain, Philippe d'Anjou marries an Archduchess as peace offer to settle the claim issues, and Duchesse d'Orleans goes to Poland.
Sounds positively excellent

If you really want to throw OTL off kilter, have France champion an independent Catalonia under Philip. OTL the region went diehard for Karl, but that may have been just to oppose Castile under Philip. The region would jump at the opportunity to split from Spain. There was a large movement to do just that. Once he's settled in, no one is moving him out.

Sounds positively excellent
The only problem there is said Duchess being half-niece of Duke of Chartres + large age difference of 9 years (though OTL Electress of Bavaria, Theresa Kunegunda Sobieska, is in play for Duchess of Chartres then, and this would sweeten the pill for Poles re. them being offered a bastard for a Queen).

VVD0D95

Banned
If you really want to throw OTL off kilter, have France champion an independent Catalonia under Philip. OTL the region went diehard for Karl, but that may have been just to oppose Castile under Philip. The region would jump at the opportunity to split from Spain. There was a large movement to do just that. Once he's settled in, no one is moving him out.
Interesting, and of course there aren’t any separatist movements in France at this time thay might look at thay.
The only problem there is said Duchess being half-niece of Duke of Chartres + large age difference of 9 years (though OTL Electress of Bavaria, Theresa Kunegunda Sobieska, is in play for Duchess of Chartres then, and this would sweeten the pill for Poles re. them being offered a bastard for a Queen).
Hmm Theresa could be a good shout

Chapter 25: Law Lords

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 25: Law Lords

February, 1691

“It has been a month, gentlemen.” George Jeffreys, Lord Jeffreys and Lord Chancellor said. “And yet everything we have found has come back to the same conclusion.” He paused for dramatic effect. “That being that the only person who saw the Earl of Sunderland before he died was Her Highness the Duchess of Cumberland and she attests that he was well when he left her chamber.” That the Princess had been with the Duke of Cumberland and Lady Churchill in some strange act, when the servant had gone to tell her of what had happened, George left out. “This is not acceptable.”

“Truth be told, my lord,” Sir William Rawlinson MP and lawyer began. “It is not surprising that we have not been able to find anything more of note.”

“How so?” George asked, he was beginning to feel as though Rawlinson was more concerned with attacking him and the government than anything else, even if the man was allegedly a Tory.

“There were no guards patrolling the area from the palace to Sunderland’s manor, and as such they could not know what happened. It was pure luck that Sir Peter Cranbourne was heading to his mistress’s house, otherwise who knows how long Lord Sunderland would have remained there unseen.” Rawlinson replied.

Sir Peter Cranbourne, a major in the Grenadier Guards had found the body of the Earl of Sunderland late at night, as he had made his way to Parliament Road, where Sunderland’s manor house was. Cranbourne had gone to meet his mistress, who that was he would not say, but truth be told George was not much interested in that. He wanted to know what else had happened. And so, it was with this in mind that he said. “So, what do you suggest? That we have more soldiers patrolling the street from the Palace to Parliament Road? You know for a fact that most MPs and Lords do not like that. They say it reminds them of the Commonwealth.” He could not blame them, some of the soldiers were not desirable people to have on such a street.

“Well, they will have to get used to it, if they want to be safe, my lord.” Sir William responded. “That is the only way this can be prevented from happening again.”

“You believe this will happen again?” Anthony Keck, MP and lawyer asked.

“Yes.” Rawlinson responded.

“Why?” Keck asked.

“Because Sunderland was one of the most powerful men in the Kingdom. In all three Kingdoms, rather. If they went after him, they will try someone else. Hence why the members of the regency council all have improved security, and why most of the court has remained in Whitehall. The Princess sees this, even if the Lord Chancellor does not.” Rawlinson said.

George ignored the barb at himself, and instead decided to focus on something the man had said. “So, if this is a targeted murder, we must figure out who it was that did it. As I see it, there are four groups who could do it. The Puritans, Sunderland had always opposed them. The French, Sunderland was always a thorn in their side. The Covenanters, for his support of the Campbell plan, and then the Catholics.”

“The Puritans were destroyed politically due to the Exclusion crisis and their part in attempting numerous things during King Charles reign, I do not think they would risk going after someone as powerful as Sunderland.” Keck said.

“However, he did make an enemy of Devonshire for his derisive comments during a debate in the Lords recently, and he did reject Devonshire’s proposal of marriage for the new Earl of Sunderland.” Rawlinson pointed out.

“Devonshire does not command the Puritans, regardless of whatever nonsense is whispered. The Puritans despise him.” George said, remembering the discussions he’d had with his spies recently.

“Then that leaves the Covenanters.” Keck Said. “I do not think they would do it either. Sunderland was very clear about who he did and did not support, and he didn’t give verbal support to the Campbell plan until he spoke with the Princess and the council.”

“We’re going in circles.” Rawlinson commented drily. “Soon enough we’ll say that the Catholics didn’t do it either, or the French. Only those last two groups have real reason to do it, unless it is more individually motivated.”

George seized on that. “That is possible. Sunderland had made a lot of enemies during his time as a politician and court member.”

“But who?” Keck asked.

Speaking for the first time in this meeting, the deputy Lord Chancellor, and Lord Chancellor of Scotland the Earl of Melfort said. “Who did he argue with the most?”

“What do you mean?” George asked, he was starting to get tired now, he wanted to move onto other things but he knew he would not be able to until this was sorted.

“Who did he argue with the most out of everyone at court? He has been called the most powerful man at court, behind the King and the Duke of Cumberland. There must be a reason for that, and as such power attracts rivals.” Melfort said.

“Well Sidney Godolphin did become the new Secretary of State after his death, and Middleton had thought he might get it.” Rawlinson said.

“Godolphin wouldn’t do it, but Middleton might.” George replied thinking about the Northern Secretary, he was ambitious and cunning, but was he blind enough to get into this?

“Perhaps we should speak with him?” Keck suggested.

“Yes.” Melfort said then unusually eager. “Do so.”

George shared a look with Rawlinson, the sudden eagerness of Melfort was confusing to say the least, he had not detected any rivalry between Melfort or Sunderland before the latter’s death, perhaps there was more to it than he had thought. Either way he supposed it could not hurt to speak to Melfort. “Very well, we shall do so.”

He paused in his consideration then, perhaps there was another way to ensure the process of finding the killer went quicker as well. “We must introduce a law that provides us with a proper force meant for this sort of work. The current system of justices and constables is not sustainable.”

“What would you recommend?” Keck asked.

“An elite body, perhaps derived from the army, that would be able to keep order in the city, particularly near the palace and Parliament, and be able to carry out searches and investigations without needing to worry about offending anyone’s sensibilities.” George replied.

“Like what they have in France?” Rawlinson asked.

“Yes, but with adjustments. We would not have a Lieutenant General of Police, but instead they would report directly to the crown.” George said, assuming that was what the main difference would be. He would need to ensure that there was more done to differentiate it, if it were to stand a chance.

“Through an Act of Parliament or?” Keck asked.

“Declaration.” George said immediately. “Parliament will never agree to this, the fools that they are.”

“Then it had better be as tight as possible.” Rawlinson said.

Or Louis XIV can make a more serious offer to Alexander Sobieski (aka Chartres’ sister) instead of offering his legitimated daughter

Chapter 26: Middleton

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 26: Middleton

February, 1691

Charles Middleton, Earl Middleton and Secretary of State for the Northern Department sat in the chair opposite the Lord Chancellor and that idiot Rawlinson and wondered why he’d been summoned here, to the Star Chamber Room, where Charles I had once had people tried without anyone else present. Was he being found guilty of a crime? Was it to do with Sunderland? Of course, it was to do with Sunderland. He’d missed out on being promoted to Southern Secretary and Godolphin had been given the role instead, that rankled but it would do for now.

“Thank you for coming, my lord.” Jeffreys, the Lord Chancellor said. “We are here to ask you a few questions regarding Robert Spencer, Earl Sunderland, the former Earl Sunderland I should say.”

Charles looked at Jeffreys a man who was as adaptable as that animal from the new world which changed its spots. He had been a bloody fisted tyrant under King James, and now he was the one advocating due caution. It was ironic. “What about him?” Charles asked.

“Firstly, where were you at the time Sunderland was meeting with Her Highness?” Jeffreys asked.

Charles had heard of the line of questioning the Lieutenant General of the Police took in France, and this followed an almost similar starting point, it immediately had him on edge. “I was in my chambers with the Marquess of Halifax and the Earl of Crawford.”

“And what were you doing?” Jeffreys asked.

“We were discussing some of the recent works by Jonathan Swift, they had just arrived from Vienna. We were discussing their merits.” Charles said. Well they’d been doing that and Halifax had been trying to convince him to try some sort of white substance which came from the Spanish colonies, which was supposed to give a person a high. He had declined. He did not want anything being shoved up his nose, thank you very much.

“And how long were you all discussing these things?” Jeffreys asked.

“For about two hours or so. They left just before the strike of midnight, and then I spent some time with my wife before retiring to bed.” Charles said. His wife Catherine wanted another child, despite both of their advanced ages, and therefore they’d tried for about an hour.

“I see.” Jeffreys said making a note of this.

Rawlinson then spoke. “And what was your relationship with the previous Earl of Sunderland?”

Charles looked at Rawlinson, he truly did not like him. He was an over-eager MP and someone who was desperate for power. “As colleagues we worked together to ensure that the desires of the Crown were fulfilled.”

“Did you ever disagree with him?” Rawlinson asked.

“Of course I did. We are individuals not a collective. He had his views and I had mine.” Charles said simply.

“And what were those disagreements on?” Rawlinson asked.

“Various matters of policy, relating to France and the Empire.” Charles said.

“Anything that you can go into more detail on?” Rawlinson asked.

“No. They are issues that are still relevant today.” Charles answered.

“It would help us paint a more detailed picture if we could know.” Rawlinson offered.

“I cannot break the confidence of the King.” Charles replied primly.

“Very well.” Rawlinson replied. “Did you ever disagree with Sunderland on a more personal level?”

“No.” Charles answered. “I did not much care what the man did in his time away from government. We worked well together in meetings and that was all I cared about.”

“I see.” Rawlinson replied.

Charles looked at the two men before him and then asked. “Are you trying to see whether I killed the man?”

“Not at all, we are merely speaking to those who have worked with him.” Rawlinson said, though the glint in his eyes suggested he was lying.

“Then you will also be speaking with Sidney Godolphin and the others on the council?” Charles enquired.

“Naturally.” Rawlinson said.

“Is there someone else you think we should speak with?” Jeffreys asked.

“Danby.” Charles said immediately. “The man did not appreciate Sunderland playing a role in his downfall during the reign of King Charles. He no doubt has some grudge to hold.”

“We shall consider that. Thank you, Lord Middleton, you may go now.” Jeffreys said.

Charles nodded, rose, and then walked out of the room. He kept his silence as he walked through the hallways, all until he got back to his chambers, where Catherine was waiting for him. She immediately came to him then and asked. “Well?”

Charles held her and replied. “They think I had something to do with Sunderland’s death. No doubt Rawlinson heard the rumour Danby spread about myself and him.”

“You can’t be serious!” Catherine replied.

“I am, but I told them to look to Danby.” Charles said.

“Do you think he, did it?” Catherine asked.

“If anyone had the reason to, it was him. He wants a return to power, and he’ll do anything to get it.” Charles said.

“So, what now?” Catherine enquired.

“Now, we wait.” Charles said, leading his wife to the bed.

Assuming Elisabeth isn’t in Lorraine
Well Liselotte jr in OTL married only in 1698, while her brother Charters was already married in 1692 (and I do not think who Louis XIV would not offer one of his illegitimate daughters to Lorraine if he had still one available)

VVD0D95

Banned
Well Liselotte jr in OTL married only in 1698, while her brother Charters was already married in 1692 (and I do not think who Louis XIV would not offer one of his illegitimate daughters to Lorraine if he had still one available)

As in he’d still offer an illegitimate daughter to Lorraine if one were available?

As in he’d still offer an illegitimate daughter to Lorraine if one were available?
Yes, for me Louis XIV was exactly that kind of guy. Offering the OTL Duchess of Chartres with a big dowry to Lorraine would be in Louis’ style. And is not like Lorraine has much choice about the wedding as he has exactly two choices: marrying the bride offered by Louis or renounce to the restitution of his Duchy.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes, for me Louis XIV was exactly that kind of guy. Offering the OTL Duchess of Chartres with a big dowry to Lorraine would be in Louis’ style. And is not like Lorraine has much choice about the wedding as he has exactly two choices: marrying the bride offered by Louis or renounce to the restitution of his Duchy.
This is very true

Is Lorraine still occupied by France (as it was before the current conflict)? OTL Lorraine was restored at the end of 9YW. Any marriage France/Lorraine has to wait til the end of the war, and if France wins, she might annex it outright.

In any event, I don't think the house of Lorraine is worthy of a major Bourbon princess (of which there are non anyway). You might be able to foist an illegitimate on them by force. a daughter of one of the junior houses is more likely.

Is Lorraine still occupied by France (as it was before the current conflict)? OTL Lorraine was restored at the end of 9YW. Any marriage France/Lorraine has to wait til the end of the war, and if France wins, she might annex it outright.

In any event, I don't think the house of Lorraine is worthy of a major Bourbon princess (of which there are non anyway). You might be able to foist an illegitimate on them by force. a daughter of one of the junior houses is more likely.
You are kidding I hope? We are talking of the main branch, the one who ruled the Duchy, not the junior branches like the Guise... They were more often than not able to get very good brides...
Leopold of Lorraine was son of Archduchess Eleonore (Emperor Leopold’s half-sister) and he was married to the highest ranking girl France had still available (aka Louis XIV’s niece). Remember who as Louis XIV had no daughter of his own he used his nieces as political pawns in the wedding market

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned

Lorraine is currently being fought over by the French abd the empire. So it’s in flux.

But as @isabella points out Lorraine had major prestige to marry an emperors daughter and Louis niece
Otl

VVD0D95

Banned
Umiliating the cousin/nephew of the Emperor marrying him to Marie Françoise is likely a plus in Louis’ books... So double Polish wedding for the Orleans and Mademoiselle de Blois in Lorraine?
As in Elisabeth to Alexander abd Theresa to chartres?