An Unexpected Prince

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Prince The Accident
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    An Unexpected Prince

June, 1688

James was happy, his dynasty was secure, and he knew that with his son having just been born, he could rest easy. Oh, he knew there were those who would grumble and plot, but as long as he kept true, God would make sure that they didn’t do anything too rash or foolish. And so, he continued as he was. He had decided to go riding today for the simple reason that he needed the air. After spending the past two days with his wife, and ensuring that his daughter Anne had been present at the birth, and the stress that had come from that, he felt he needed it. He needed that break.

James looked at John Churchill, the man who had become like a younger brother to him and smiled. They were riding through the park, and he knew that perhaps the time would come to return to Whitehall. St James, he’d chosen as the place for his son to be born because it held significance, and he knew it would be harder for Anne to beg off, as she might have done had he chosen Whitehall. That made him then turn to Churchill and ask. “How is your son, doing, John?” Churchill had had a son two years ago, named after himself, James thought it hilarious, no doubt it had been meant to fulfil his own ego. He thought that when the time was right the boy would be added to his son’s household.

Churchill smiled. “He is well, Sire. He has begun talking somewhat properly, and is walking everywhere. We’ve had to ensure that some of our more delicate items are kept hidden away so he does not break them.”

James laughed. “Oh, yes, they are wont to do that. We remember when Anne was a little girl, she was constantly roaming around picking things up and testing them. Half the time we were convinced she wanted to eat them.”

John laughed. “Ah, so not much has changed then?”

James snorted at that. It was true, his daughter had started eating a lot more as of late. He was beginning to wonder if perhaps she was with child. That might be a good thing. “So, tell us John, your wife is friends with our daughter. do you think she is with child?”

The question seemed to throw John off for a moment, but then he said. “I think so, Sire. I think she and the Duke of Cumberland are waiting to see what happens in the next few months before they decide on a complete course of action.”

James nodded, and felt a slight jolt as his horse went over a mole hill. “Of course, a smart decision.” His horse went another hill and he felt his shoulder jar. He groaned slightly.

“Are you well, Sire?” John asked coming up near him.

James waved him off. “We are fine, thank you, John. There are a lot of mole hills here, we will need to ask the keeper of the park to deal with them.”

“Yes, quite right, Sire.” John said.

They fell silent for a moment then, as they continued riding. James knew that he needed to have his son baptised into the true faith soon, of course cousin Louis would stand as a godfather, he might well ask John to stand as well, though perhaps a move to make peace between them, he should ask his nephew William to stand as a godfather also. Mary would like that. She was always going on about how he needed to do more to make amends with his nephew and son by marriage. William, Prince of Orange and the hope of the Dutch Republic.

“Say, John,” James began, but before he could finish that sentence, his horse raised itself up quite high and came down with quite the thump. He groaned in pain as his already injured shoulder came out again, and then his horse went over another mole hill, or something worse, and as he leaned forward to calm it down, the horse went down. It happened too quickly for him to do anything about it. one moment he was trying to soothe his horse, the next he felt the complete weight of his horse on top of him.

“Sire!” John cried out. He saw him try and come to aid him, but to no avail. Others came and they tried, but James could feel the horse pressing against him, he was in a lot of pain. Something sharp was pressing against his neck as well. He tried to move but couldn’t instead, he decided to close his eyes and see if that would ease the pain.

He’d close his eyes and the in the morning speak with his son.

Last edited:
    Chapter 2: Anne
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 2: Anne

June, 1688

Anne walked through the gardens of St James and wondered if perhaps once the whole situation with her father had calmed down she might return to the Cockpit and Whitehall. It was much better for George’s health as well, having reduced the chances of asthma effecting as badly. Their last love making had left her husband close to death due to the exertions. The doctor said the air was the reason. She had told Sarah this and her friend had told her to demand to return to Whitehall.

Thinking on that she turned to her friend and said. “I think the King knows about the correspondence.” She had been exchanging letters with her sister Mary in the Hague through Sarah and the Marquess of Dorset’s wife, trying to plan for the eventuality of removing their father.

“Why did he say something?” Sarah asked.

“No, but he has been talking a lot about Mary recently. And he only does that when he is upset or annoyed. Remember how he acted when the whole thing with the races turned out?” Anne said.

“Ah, yes.” Sarah replied and they continued walking, before Sarah responded. “I’m not sure he knows. John hasn’t said anything, and you know John he’d say something to me first.”

Anne thought on that and saw the truth in her friend’s words. John never did anything before going to Sarah, that was one of the things she most liked about her friend. The complete control she had over her husband. Her step mother, Mary did not exercise such control over her father. As such the man’s eyes had wandered numerous times, including with John’s own sister. Anne shook her head then. “Regardless, now that a son has been born to my father we will need to act quickly. He will do all he can to confirm a Catholic succession.” The thought of a Catholic inheriting the throne disturbed her.

“Surely not?” Sarah asked. “Your father, the King is many things. But I do not think he is foolish. He knows that having a Catholic successor would be the end of him and his dynasty.”

Anne put a hand on her stomach, aware that the child growing inside of her was the future. “You do not see him. He drove away the Earl of Oxford, Oxford, the man who bled for my uncle, because of his fanaticism. I blame the French.”

Sarah thought on that, but before she could speak, a messenger came hurrying over. “Your Highness, please, you must come quickly. The King.”

Anne looked at Sarah, and then the messenger. “What has happened?”

“Please Your Highness, come quickly.” The messenger set off then hurrying back to the palace. Seeing that she had no choice, Anne followed the messenger, and hurried after him, Sarah accompanying her. They moved through the entrance and the various corridors before they came to the King’s apartments. There they found John.

“What has happened?” Anne demanded.

John looked ashen faced. “We were out riding, the King and I. His horse startled and the King fell over. His horse landed on top of him.”

The words came but Anne did not understand them. “Is he dead?” She demanded.

“I…” John stuttered.

“Is he dead?” Sarah asked this time with more force.

Anne pushed passed John into the apartments, she moved to his bed chamber and found the Doctor there. “Well?” She demanded. “Is he alive or dead?”

The Doctor bowed and then replied. “When he fell he hit a vessel in his neck causing a lot of blood to pour out. Then his horse landed on him crushing his ribs from impact. He did not survive long.” There was a long pause. “The King is dead.”

Anne thought on this for a long moment then. If her father was dead, that meant her half-brother was now the King. Her half-brother who bore her father’s name but had not yet been baptised in Rome. Her mind begin to churn out possible ideas here. She could declare the boy a changeling and everyone would believe her, now her father was dead. But that would give the throne to her sister Mary and to William, but then she would be their heir, but being heir and then Queen would damage her health, she knew that. She looked at her father’s lifeless form, and thought to herself, I could save the dynasty, I could ensure uncle Charles’ legacy lives on. Declare her half-brother King, raise him and rule in his name, and she would be hailed by all.

“Your Highness…” Sarah said then touching her arm. Anne turned around and looked at her. “What do you want to do, Your Highness?”

“Secure the King and his mother, and alert the court.” Anne said instantly her mind made up. “We must secure the succession.” As orders were barked out for that to happen, Anne turned back to look at her father and whispered. “England has been saved by your madness, Papa.”

Chapter 3: Whitehall Schemes
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 3: Whitehall Schemes

June, 1688

John Belasyse, First Lord of the Treasury and the most senior minister in King James II’s government looked at the people assembled in the Audience Hall in the Palace of Whitehall. They had all been summoned from their houses in London to meet at Whitehall the residency of government, at once. It was quite unusual as they were taking a break for the summer and were only meant to meet again in July, but the message had come and so they had hurried here. It had turned out that it had not been the King who had summoned them, but his daughter, Princess Anne Duchess of Cumberland, using the Privy Seal. John had muttered at that, but the words that had come next had quelled him. The King was dead, his infant son was now their lord and master.

“Parliament will need to be recalled, Your Highness.” Was the first thing that John said. “It has not sat in three years, and as such it will need to be convened to grant the financial dues owed to the new King for life.”

“Are the finances not in good shape, Sir John?” The Princess asked, sounding for all the world like her dearly departed father.

“They are Your Highness, but still, the law must be followed, and the law states that Parliament must be summoned at the ascension of a new King.” Sir John replied looking at the Lord Chancellor for confirmation.

Lord Jeffreys a man who had no scruples, but was the finest judge that John had ever met nodded. “Sir John is right, Your Highness. Parliament must be summoned.”

The Princess, unlike her father or uncle smiled then. “I know, gentlemen, however, we must first decide who they will be speaking with when the time comes. My father died without naming a regent for his son, and our King. Therefore, I must know if there was a will left behind.”

The Lord Chancellor shook his head. “No, Your Highness. The last will was written two years ago, when the King had dealt with the Monmouth uprising. It confirmed Her Highness the Princess Mary as his heir, with Your Highness as next in line. But since the birth of the King there has been no will. I know His Majesty was planning on writing a new will, but he did not have the time.”

“So, there is no clear decision on who can serve as regent, then?” The Princess asked.

John looked at the woman before him, for that was she was and he saw her planning something, behind those eyes that were so like her mother’s. “In normal circumstances, the person responsible for raising the King would be the King’s mother.” Sir John said. And he knew then that he would condemn himself as he said the next few words. “However, given she is a Catholic and England is not, she cannot be charged with raising the King. And as the King has no direct male relative who is of age to be regent either, then there must be a compromise.”

“That is not strictly true, Sir John.” Robert Spencer, Earl of Sunderland and Secretary of State for the Southern Department said. “The King has a half-brother, and has as cousins the illegitimate sons of King Charles who could serve as his regent.”

“You are not seriously suggesting that we name a bastard as regent for the King?!” John exclaimed. “We are not barbarians.”

“Indeed not, but who else is there?” Robert Spencer asked.

“The King’s sisters.” Charles Middleton, the Secretary of State for the Northern Department replied. “Your Highness should be charged with raising the King.” The man said looking at Princess Anne.

“What of my sister?” the Princess asked.

Very clever. John thought to himself, by phrasing it that way, the Princess was making it seem as though she didn’t want the role, when any man with eyes could see she did.

“Her Highness is married to the Prince of Orange and as such cannot be seen as being fit for raising the King. Your Highness is present here in England, and is known to the King having been there at his birth. You are known to the council, and to Parliament. You are perfect for the role.” Charles Middleton said.

“I agree.” John said, taking his chances here. He was old, not stupid.

“As do I.” Lord Jeffreys said.

They all turned to look at Robert Spencer, the man sighed and said. “As do I.”

“Thank you all for this honour, gentlemen.” The Princess said. She smiled and then her face went blank. “We now must decide who shall sit the regency council.”

“The three Kingdoms all have different laws pertaining to this matter, Your Highness.” The Lord Chancellor said. “Things would go much better if we had a meeting between all three governments to discuss the matter and to ensure none were offended by the choices made.”

“What say you, Sir John? Do you agree?” The Princess asked.

John thought on this, he knew some of the men in the government of Ireland and some in Scotland. He was the oldest and most experienced of them all, perhaps he could extend his life just a little. “I do, Your Highness. I think it makes the most sense.”

“Then it is decided.” The Princess said clapping her hands together. “Lord Jeffreys send the writs of summons, we shall meet with the members of government of Scotland and Ireland, here in London, to discuss this matter.” With that the Princess turned and left the room, leaving John to wonder where the future would go, with an infant as King.

Chapter 4: Drummond
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 4: Drummond

June, 1688

James Drummond, Earl of Perth and Lord Chancellor of Scotland looked at the letter before him. It had arrived with another letter. That one had informed him of the King’s death, the first one of a summons from the new King’s guardian Princess Anne to attend a meeting in London. The news that King James was dead filled with him worry. The King had granted him and his brother extensive powers and they had brought pretty much all of Scotland under their control, in his name. They’d even converted to Catholicism for him. But now with him gone their futures were in doubt.

“Well?” His brother John asked. “What do you think?”

“I think Princess Anne has more of her uncle, King Charles in her than her father, King James.” James answered honestly. “She has played the English well and gotten possession of the King for herself and her husband. I think we would be foolish not to go to London and even more foolish to underestimate her.”

“She’s a committed Anglican though.” His brother pointed out. “And she spoke out against us when King James nominated us for our roles.”

“Indeed, but she knows nobody else in Scotland. Hamilton perhaps, but not Argyll, Atholl she sees as an old man. We both know this.” James reasoned. “As to our faith, well we converted one way for the King, we can convert another way for his daughter.”

John sighed. “I do not know how I feel about that, brother. We cannot just to and fro on the matter of religion without somebody accusing us of insincerity.”

James laughed. “John, half the court is insincere. Do not act as if you don’t know that most of the people in Falklands Palace were plotting with that idiot Dutchman. They will keep their mouths shut now that King James is dead, and it is time we moved with the times.”

“So, what will you do?” John asked. “Go to London?”

“Yes, and you will come with me.” James said. “We must work together to strengthen our position and work to isolate any other lords who might try to take Scotland from out of our control.”

He could tell his brother was being won over by his argument. “Atholl is who we must win over.”

“Aye, him and Hamilton.” James said. “I will offer my daughter for Atholl’s grandson, and you shall offer your daughter for Selkirk’s son.”

John looked pensive about this for a moment and then he nodded. “Very well.” There was a brief pause and then his brother added. “We will need to make sure the regiments stationed in Edinburgh and near the border are ready.”

James nodded. “Who is in command of the garrison at the border?”

“Dundee.” John said. “He’s already written to say he will march for us should there be an issue with the regency.”

“Good.” James replied. “We will also need to convince the Queen Dowager to not push her claim to the possession of her son. If she does that then the rebels in the country will try and invite William of Orange here, and that would be disastrous for all of us.”

John nodded. “Of course, leave that to me. The Queen Dowager listens to me.”

“Good.” James replied. He then thought on another matter. “Write to Lord Churchill as well, inform him that Atholl will try and get a place on the regency council.”

“Why me?” John asked sounding confused. “Churchill prefers you.”

“Yes, but he also suspects me. He does not suspect you.” James said. That was the benefit of having a brother considered so honest.

“Very well.” John said. With that his brother rose and departed, leaving James alone to his thoughts and his plans to sort out Scotland and his family once and for all.

Last edited:
    Chapter 5: Mary of York
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 5: Mary of York

July, 1688

Mary fiddled with the piece of cloth that she had been picking on before her husband had come in and presented her with the letter. She had read it and felt something sink within her, but also something rise within her. She didn’t want to say it was hope, but it certainly felt like it. She stopped fiddling and looked at her husband.

“What does this change?” She asked, referring to the fact that her father was dead.

“In one sense, nothing. France is still going to do something foolish along the Rhine or into the Spanish Netherlands. Louis is not smart enough to realise he cannot win that.” William responded. “On the other hand, it changes everything.”

“We now do not have a reason to invade England.” Mary said. “My father was the reason you were going to invade was it not? To defend the Protestants.” She was not so naïve as to believe that was the only reason, but it was the main reason. Invade England, depose her father, and protect the Anglicans of England.

“That completely depends on how things go with the negotiations your sister is doing.” William replied.

“Ah, yes, those negotiations.” Mary responded. She had been surprised by those words that had come from the Dutch ambassador. She had never thought that her sister had much political smarts, and yet here she was negotiating things that even their own father could never have done.

“If the council includes even one Catholic who once held power in King James’s reign I might be able to convince the estates to fund the army.” William responded.

“Why?” Mary asked. “Why just one Catholic?”

“Because one Catholic will be amenable to France, however, if they convert then there will be little reason to invade, beyond some spurious claims.” William said.

“You do not believe the ambassador?” Mary asked surprised. Usually William trusted the words the man wrote to them.

“I do not think he is talking sense. I highly doubt that the new King is a changeling. It is not so unusual that a woman can give birth to a son after so many years.” William said. At that Mary blushed. She was starkly reminded of her own failure to produce a child, and it was beginning to gnaw at her.

“So, this regency council will need to be shaped and influenced by us from afar then. After all neither of us can sit on it. You because you are not from England, and I because I am married to you.” Mary said.

“Indeed.” William said. “We need to make sure that it is majority Protestant and that the Queen Dowager never gets near the new King.”

“That last part should not be hard. Anne has written to say that the Queen Dowager is considering retiring to Modena.” Mary said, she felt sorry for her mother, the woman had done her duty and now she would never get to raise her own son.

“I have been writing to Devonshire and others within the Country Party to ensure that a suitable candidate is nominated from their post to serve on the Regency Council.” William said.

Mary nodded, she did not trust Devonshire, she thought he was a chancer and the country party had always been strange. “Just make sure that it is not Devonshire himself, otherwise we will never hear the end of bellicose statements.”

Her husband laughed then. “Such bellicose statements are needed, my dear. France will want to expand its borders one way or another, and we must ensure that that does not happen. For that we will need England’s support.”

Chapter 6: King's Mother
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 6: King’s Mother

July, 1688

All the great and powerful of the three Kingdoms were floating into London. Mary knew that they were coming to discuss who would be on the regency council for her son, their King. She knew they would discuss whether to have one regency council or two, and whether or not there would need to be something made for her. She had seen her son a few times since giving birth to him. Her step daughter was not cruel, but indifferent to her. Mary was with her son now, she looked at him and feared for him. So many power-hungry people would be deciding the fate of his Kingdom and that of his own life for many years to come.

She turned when the door opened. Her step daughter walked in. She inclined her head. “Anne.”

“Mother.” Anne said. The girl had always called her that since her own mother had died. They had been close once, indeed she hoped they would remain so.

“You have come to tell me what is to be done with me?” Mary guessed.

“Yes.” Anne said. “I know you want to be involved with the King’s life, and upbringing, but you cannot do that in your normal capacity.”

“Meaning?” Mary asked. She wondered if her step daughter was about to banish her into the beyond.

“Meaning that whilst you will be able to interact with your son, you won’t be able to have any say over who tutors him, or who is in his household. Nor will you be able to decide how he is brought up in faith.” Anne said.

That all felt like a blow, effectively she would be a stranger in her own home, to her own son. “I see. And who decided this?”

“I did.” Anne replied. “As the King’s guardian until he comes of age.” There was a pause as Anne clearly felt awkward. “The King rules over three kingdoms which are Protestant, he cannot be a Catholic. And if we were to allow you to raise him, there is a general fear that he would become Catholic, which would lead to instability.”

Mary knew that would be said, she knew that her step daughter was the King’s guardian and yet still it stung. “I see.” There truly was no point in her being here then. She would rather make it official and become a stranger to her son then remain here and not really be known by the boy. She looked at Anne then and saw that she was shifting about, doing the thing she always did when she was nervous. “What bothers you?” Mary asked kindly.

As if she was relieved to be asked, Anne responded. “There’s been nothing but silence from the Hague and from William and Mary, ever since I sent that letter. They’ve not done anything, not even recognised the King as King. And the ambassador remains silent whenever I press him on it.”

Something passed through Mary’s mind then, the whisperings she had heard when she had given birth to James. “Have you heard anything from the country party?”

Something flashed across Anne’s face then. “You think they are in contact with one another?”

Mary raised and lowered a shoulder. “It should not be considered unlikely, given what would happen if they worked together.”

Mary was not a political person by any means, but even she knew where this might go, and she suspected her step daughter did as well, for Anne said. “You are right. That’s why this regency council meeting is so important.”

Mary caught onto what the woman was implying and replied. “I will make sure to make myself scarce as can be then.”

The other woman nodded. “Thank you.”

Mary nodded, then Anne turned and left, and Mary turned back to look at her sleeping son. She barely murmured her next thought. “Perhaps it would be better for you if I took vows and never returned here.”

Chapter 7: Bridge The Divide
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 7: Bridge The Divide

July, 1688

Anne took a moment to compose herself, she straightened out her thoughts and then spoke, placing a smile on her face. “Gentlemen, my lords, I thank you all for coming. We come here under sad circumstances. The death of King James, who was my father, has required that his infant son, King James ascend the throne not in full control of his powers, being a babe, but with a regency council. Given the nature of my father’s death it is necessary that we hold a meeting to discuss who shall sit this regency council.” She paused, and then waited to see if anyone would object to her hosting this meeting, as a woman. When nobody did she continued. “We shall first hear from the Lord Chancellor of England, Lord Jeffreys on his view, and then from Lord Drummond, Lord Chancellor for Scotland, before Lord Shrewsbury shall speak.” She stopped and then gestured for Lord Jeffreys to speak.

Jeffreys had earned a reputation as an evil man for his role in the Bloody Assizes following the Monmouth rebellion, and Anne had found him repulsive since then. But in the past month she had come to respect his intelligence and his wit. He’d shown himself to be a firm loyalist and wanting the best for the Kingdom. “Thank you, Your Highness.” Jeffreys looked around the great audience chamber, which was packed. “My lords, Your Highness, I believe that the best way to sort out this predicament we find ourselves in, is to have a regency council that comprises members from all three governments and Kingdoms. Whilst it might be true that since King James I ascended the throne of St Edward, the governments have been kept separate, they have traditionally followed a similar policy to one another. Now, with an infant King on the throne, the need for cooperation is greater than ever. Should something happen that would drive us apart individually, our enemies in France and elsewhere would seek to capitalise on that. We cannot allow that to happen. We must unite behind one banner, under the King’s banner as one single regency council to work for unity.”

Jeffreys sat down. Anne gestured for Lord Drummond, Earl of Perth to speak. “I agree with Lord Jeffreys. Peace is essential here. We already know that some amongst us were seeking to do all sorts of heinous things when the previous King lived,” Anne shifted slightly ignoring the discomfort that brought her, Drummond continued. “Our main enemy is not one another, it is France. And they are a Kingdom that would seek to sow division between us. We cannot allow that. I suggest that we work together in one regency council with members from all across the three Kingdoms as part of it. Members can be based in Scotland, England or Ireland, but they would report to Whitehall here, not to their respective divisions as was before.” Drummond sat down.

Anne knew which way she leaned. She did not trust anyone here apart from perhaps Belasyse, and he might not be allowed to sit on the council due to his religion. She looked around and then said. “Lord Shrewsbury you may speak now.”

Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury was there to represent the country party. Anne knew he’d been in communication with William before father had died, and she worried over what he might say now. And if he knew of her own involvement there. “Thank you, Your Highness.” Talbot said. “Whilst I see the arguments that both Lord Jeffreys and Lord Perth have put forward, I must say that I disagree with them. For eighty years now, we have operated as three separate Kingdoms and three separate administrations. We have not been used against one another, nor have we turned on one another, where it was not prompted by some mal advice by poor advisors to the crown.” There was some snorting there, at the clear reference to the Civil War. “Therefore, I would seek to advise this gathering that we keep it administrations as they are.” Talbot sat down.

Anne looked around, Sir John then looked at her and she nodded for him to speak. He stood up, and though he was a Catholic he was the most experienced member of government present, and he was an experienced politician having been in public life for close to sixty years now. “Your Highness, I find myself agreeing with Lord Shrewsbury, but only on one point. If we are to have one regency council what will be the laws regulating it? Will the Test Acts which apply here in England, but don’t in Scotland apply for all members? If so, that will exclude a significant number of capable administrators from the regency, such as the Earl of Melfort. Such a thing would be concerning and would be used by our enemies to sow dissent. That is not something I would feel comfortable with.” Belasyse sat down then.

Shrewsbury rose. “It would also exclude a gentleman such as Sir John here. And that would be a great crime. Catholic he might be, but capable he certainly is.”

Shrewsbury sat down. Anne was left looking at the men gathered before her. For the first time, she found herself wondering if she’d made the right decision to summon this council. Perhaps she should have just declared herself regent and gone from there. But then she pushed those doubts from her mind as she remembered what Sarah had said. “I understand your concerns, Sir John, and Lord Shrewsbury. However, I can assure you, having spoken with Lord Jeffreys as well as Sir Simon Harcourt, a Justice of the Bench, that should we have one single regency council, the laws of the Kingdoms would be respected, therefore, if a Presbyterian served on the government in Scotland, they could serve on the regency council and act for Scotland, similarly a Catholic could serve on the regency council but for Ireland not England. This is something that has been examined thoroughly and found in accordance with the laws.”

There was some murmuring at that, Anne could feel the tension in the room. She hoped she had played her hand correctly, and not given too much or too little. Eventually, someone else stood up, and this time it was someone who was neither court nor country party. This was someone she had always respected. Henry Howard, Duke of Norfolk and premier peer in the realm behind her own husband and herself. “Your Highness, you have made a compelling case for a joint regency council. And with you as protector of the King that is a fine thing to think about. But there remains one concern that has not been addressed. And that is the matter of the Queen Mother. What will become of her? She is a Catholic, she married the King’s father, out of a desire to produce a Catholic dynasty for England. Will she really be content to not have any say over how her child is raised? And if not, then that leaves us with the major concern of what to do with her.”

Anne was prepared for this, having thought it through herself. “Thank you for raising this point, Your Grace. The Queen Mother and I have spoken at length, after much consideration she has decided that she will return to Modena for some time. She wishes to allow her son the best opportunities that he can have. And though it pains her to do so, she will not be remaining in England for long. Indeed, she has said she will adopt an approach similar to what our grandmother Queen Henrietta Maria did, she shall spend some time here and other times in Modena.” She stopped speaking then allowing the words she said to filter through.

There was another person who rose then. Sidney Godolphin, 2nd Lord of the Treasury and someone close to Sarah. “Your Highness, if I might, who would serve as the King’s chief regent? In days’ past it would go to the King’s closest male relative. However, there are none that exist that are legitimate and native, therefore the issue arises there.”

The Duke of Norfolk spoke before Anne could answer. “Surely it must Her Highness? She is married, and she is the King’s sister. Furthermore, she is based here.”

Lord Jeffreys spoke then. “That is indeed true, Your Grace.”

“So, Your Highness would be the King’s chief regent?” Godolphin asked for clarification.

“Yes.” Anne said simply.

Once she was convinced that all had been agreed, she nodded to the Earl of Mulgrave who was also Lord Chamberlain who said. “Let there be a vote now. Those in favour of a united regency council, say aye!”

Hands shot up then, amongst the gathered notables. Mulgrave looked at his assistants who counted and then wrote the number and handed it to him. “One hundred and seventy ayes.” Anne nodded that was good.

“Now for the nays.” Mulgrave called out.

Hands shot up, amongst them was Shrewsbury. Again the procedure went. The paper was handed to Mulgrave who read it and then said. “Nays have one hundred and ten. The ayes have it, the ayes have it.”

Anne smiled then, knowing that at least this one thing had gone her way.

Last edited:
    Chapter 8: Winchester
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 8: Winchester

July, 1688

Peter Mews, Bishop of Winchester looked at the painting above him. It showed the Virgin Mother with her child, the Lord Jesus as a babe, whilst the Angel Gabriel watched on from the heavens. It had been commissioned by King Charles I when his son and namesake had been born. Peter remembered hearing about it as a young lad in the church. He had served the King who had been responsible for the painting for a time, before becoming Bishop, and now here he was to meet the King’s niece. Princess Anne looked like her mother Anne Hyde, but with her father’s eyes and inquisitiveness.

“Thank you for coming, my lord,” the Princess said. “I hope the journey was not too bothersome?”

“Not at all Your Highness.” Peter responded. “I came as soon as I could.”

“I wished to speak with you about a few things, my lord.” The Princess said. “I know that you could not come to the meeting to decide the regency council, and I wished to know your views on what was decided.”

“I am in favour of a united regency council, Your Highness.” Peter responded. “I believe that is the best way to deal with any potential chaos or meddling from foreign powers. However, I could not come because there was one key matter which was not discussed.”

“My lord?” The Princess asked.

“Yes,” Peter continued. “Before he died, His Majesty King James ordered the arrest and trial of Seven Bishops amongst them His Grace the Archbishop of Canterbury. Nothing was said about their fate, and as such I had come to hope to settle the matter with you, Your Highness.”

Something strange happened then, the Princess blushed, before clearing her throat. “I must admit, my lord, until quite recently I had quite forgotten about them.” Something must have shown on his face, for the Princess quickly added. “It was not for lack of thought or concern, but simply that there was so much that needed to be done to resolve the matters arising from the King’s death.”

“I understand, Your Highness.” Peter said, and he did. “Still, now that those matters have been resolved, what will happen to them?”

The Princess shifted slightly, and Peter glanced up at the painting on the ceiling. He remembered what had come from that and from everything else that King Charles had done. “I have spoken with the Lord Chancellor and it has been agreed that the case against the Bishops is not strong, indeed, it was never strong. As much as it pains me to admit this, His Majesty King James was wrong to do as he had done. Therefore, the order is being made right now to have them released and restored to their offices.”

Peter nodded, he was relieved to hear that. “That is good, Your Highness. The Kingdom does not need another scandal.”

“My lord?” the Princess asked.

“I simply mean that since the King died and his son ascended the throne there has been a lot of talk, mostly gossip that there were some amongst the nobility who were plotting on removing the King.” Peter said.

The Princess’ face went white then, and Peter wondered at it. “I see. You do not believe such rumours, I trust, my lord?”

“Even if I did, they are no longer relevant. King James is dead, and his son sits the throne with a regency council to steer him towards a true and clear Protestant course.” Peter said, making his meaning clear by the way he looked at the woman opposite him.

The Princess nodded. “Of course, my lord. We will not be trying to bring any religious indulgences any time soon, of that you have my promise.”

“That is most wise, Your Highness. The Church and the Crown are intimately linked together, when the Parliament fails to support the Crown, it is the church that does so.” Peter said, repeating something his father had once said to him.

“Of course.” The Princess replied. There was a knock on the door, and a messenger hurried in, he handed the Princess a note which she read and smiled. The messenger left, and the Princess turned to him and said. “You will be delighted to know that the Bishops have been released of this moment and are returning to their parishes on the Morrow. There will be a feast today though, I trust you will stay behind.”

Peter smiled, the woman was clever. He looked forward to working with her. “Of course, Your Highness.” He said. “It would be my honour.”

Chapter 9: Sunderland
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 9: Sunderland

August, 1688

Robert Spencer had spent most of his adult life in service to the crown and to the Stuarts. He had found them a mixed sort of personnel. Charles II had been flamboyant and carefree with a hardened edge of steel, James II had been stubborn and driven, he did more work in one day than his brother did in a month. And now there was Princess Anne, the possessor of the new King and the main regent. She was like her father in that she worked hard, but completely unlike him in that she listened first, and talked later.

Today was no different. This first meeting of the regency council began with him speaking. “Your Highness, my lords, since the writ was sent out for a new election in England and Wales, we have received steady confirmation that the Court party led ably by Sidney Godolphin will win a majority in the Commons, thus ensuring that it shall be far easier for us to get business through that blasted chamber.”

“I can confirm that the same is true in the Scottish Parliament, Your Highness.” James Drummond, Earl of Perth said.

The Princess smiled. “Excellent work, gentlemen. When Parliament meets later this month we shall of course have much to discuss. There is a lot of legislation that our father and the previous King had passed or declared true by writ that must be undone.”

“Most prominently the bill of repeal the Test Acts.” Robert said. He knew that that bill would cause all sorts of trouble he had advised King James of that, but the man had not listened to him.

“Of course, that bill will be the first thing that is considered before Parliament.” The Princess said smiling.

“Then of course there is the need to consider the military, Your Highness.” Charles Middleton, Earl Middleton and Northern Secretary said. “The King had kept it at unreasonably high levels for peace time. Parliament will want to discuss that.”

Before the Princess could speak, Robert spoke. “I think Parliament will understand that the situation on the continent is such that we shall need to keep that military personnel high in order to be best prepared for whatever might come.”

“You expect a war to come?” The Princess asked.

“Yes,” Robert responded. “Even though the Pope has chosen Joseph Clemens of Bavaria as the new Archbishop of Cologne, Louis of France believes that the Pope was influenced by Emperor Leopold. Consequently, he is contesting the election decision and is prepared to invest Philipsburg with men and arms to ensure his decision is respected. The Emperor will not respond well to that, and of course there is the Spanish Netherlands to consider. Louis has always wanted that in return for the failure of Spain to pay his wife’s dowry. He will not just stop wanting that.”

“And if the Spanish Netherlands falls under French jurisdiction, then our trading routes into the continent are lessened, Your Highness.” Sir John Belasyse, who was nominally there as governor of Ireland, but was actually First Lord of the Treasury, said. “Our trading routes get effected then the people and Parliament will get onto our cases.”

“Very well, keep the military at the levels it is. If we can afford it?” the Princess said.

“For defence we can, Your Highness.” Belasyse said. “But if we need to have a longer more thought out war plan, then Parliament will naturally need to provide the funds.”

“Do not worry about that, I will ensure that happens.” Robert said, he had helped half of those who were soon to become MPs get elected in their seats, he would make sure they did as the government wanted.

“Very well.” The Princess said.

“There was one other thing that needed discussing, Your Highness.” Middleton said then. “In officials documents you are listed as Duchess of Cumberland, but His Majesty King James had not yet had the patents filed for the proclamation of the new title. Would you rather hold it be decree then or by Parliamentary act?”

“I would recommend decree with the later introduction of the Duke in Parliament, Your Highness.” Robert said then. “That way there can be no bickering of such things.” He knew some in the Lords would look down on having a foreign Prince take the title that had once belonged to Prince Rupert, but there was little that could be done about it.

“Very well, then that is what I shall do. Lord Jeffreys please see that the appropriate work is done.” The Princess said.

“Yes Your Highness.” The man replied.

Chapter 10: Devonshire
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 10: Devonshire

August, 1688

William Cavendish, Earl of Devonshire looked at the two other men in the room with him and wondered how they had gotten to this point. They were supposed to be on the up, Prince William would come into England and be the hero they needed and save them from the tyranny of King James. But then King James had died, leaving his infant son as King, and well, here they were. Meeting in his main estate, in great secrecy the day after the election results had been announced.

“With the majority they have, the Tories will dominate government for the next five years at least.” William said, referring to the fact that the Tories had won 350 of the 513 seats in the Commons, leaving them with very little room to function.

“You mean the court party.” Charles Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury said. “There is no Tory party, not yet anyway.”

William shrugged. “Same difference really. They will dominate, and that can only be bad for us.”

“I disagree.” Henry Sydney, the man who had drafted an invitation to Prince William said. “The Tories will keep the army large, which will be necessary for the upcoming fight with France.”

Sydney was a military man, which was fair enough, that was why they had recruited him in the first place. But he didn’t think politically or even long term. “And do you think they won’t use the army to keep those who disagree with them intimidated and in line?” William demanded.

“Princess Anne is not like that.” Sydney responded.

“Princess Anne is her father’s daughter. See how quickly she acted to get possession of the King and confirmation of her right to sit on the Regency Council.” William said. “You were there Charles, you know what she is like.”

Talbot nodded. “She is dangerous. And she has her father’s temper. We would do well to keep a very low profile when Parliament meets next week.”

Sydney looked completely shocked. His jaw was wide open, he immediately shut it and then opened it again. “You cannot be serious. She would not dare do something so callous, so tyrannical. Not when we know what she was doing before her father died.”

William sighed. He knew what the other man was referring to, and he knew it would not stand ground. “She would deny it, if we ever brought it up. And Prince William would deny it also, now that King James is dead. There is little for us to gain by bringing it up now. No, we must wait and see. The Country party will have five years in government, let us see what happens during that time and then we shall act.”

“War with France.” Talbot said. “That’s what will happen.”

“You are sure?” Sydney asked. “I spoke with Churchill and he wasn’t sure whether the regency council would want it to happen.”

Devonshire smiled. “Parliament will. And though Sunderland controls half the Commons, I control the other half. And I assure, they will want war.”

Sydney thought on that for a moment, before replying. “So long as we are not in danger in our own homes then I am willing to fight.”

William nodded he understood the concern, given what had been about to happen before King James had died, they were all still on edge. “Be careful and play the game, and all will be well.” Was all he could say.

Chapter 11: Belgrade
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 11: Belgrade

September, 1688

This siege had been going on for months now. Maximilian knew his troops were tired and that they wanted to return home. He’d had to give a speech, the best he’d ever given a few days ago, to keep morale high, and it seemed to have worked so far. He knew that they just needed one last push and Belgrade would be theirs. They’d worked their way through the defences. The garrison within the town did not have food, they were living off of borrowed time. The Emperor had crushed the Ottoman relief force sent earlier also. Their time was coming.

A rider came and stopped next to him. He turned and found himself looking at his second in command, Prince Eugene of Savoy. “Well?” He asked.

“They’ve got two thousand men within the inner walls of the city, and a further two hundred manning the entire outer walls. They’re one step away from revolt. I think the moment the canon shots are fired they will surrender.” Eugene said.

“You are confident of this?” Maximilian asked. He didn’t want any surprises coming his way.

“Yes. I think those on the outer walls will surrender and then we can move from there.” Eugene said.

Maximilian thought on this. He knew that if he delivered Belgrade to the Emperor before the man got here, the man would be indebted to him. That could get him some concessions for Bavaria and when his wife inevitably delivered their son in six months time, then perhaps things might progress from there. He looked forward at the city of Belgrade and reached his decision. “We won’t use the proper cannons just yet.”

“Sir?” Eugene asked sounding surprised.

“We need to draw them out. Let them think they’re under attack, but that we’ve not got the complete might yet. We need them outside the city walls.” Maximilian said.

“So, that there is something more complete to give to the Emperor.” Eugene said, realisation hitting him.

“Exactly. He won’t want a broken city.” Maximilian said. “Give the order.” He commanded.

The Prince Eugene rode away then barking his commands. The cannons, of the lighter sort, made in Vienna for this purpose were wheeled out onto the plains before them. He waited and then nodded, and the shots rang out.

As expected the Ottoman soldiers on the walls responded with panic, some tried to muster a response, others began disappearing. There was a brief silence and then the gates opened. Clearly someone had decided to take the challenge. Maximilian smiled. He drew his sword from his scabbard, said a prayer and then bellowed a command and charged. The advance through the terrain was fine, but it was when they came clashing with the foe that it got a bit difficult.

There were bodies everywhere from the engagement of the past. Maximilian swerved, ducked and swung. Eventually connecting with one or two foes, he changed his rhythm slightly, made things fascinating, grew into the way of things, dangling around, changing his mind and then going for it again. The Ottoman soldiers tried to match him, but they were too predictable, they had not learned the new rules of engagement.

He almost felt sorry for them. Almost. They were still enemies. They managed to cut through the outer defences, they moved into the inner defences and this time, the Ottomans were waiting for them. Shots rang out, some of his men fell to their deaths, but not him. God was on his side, they avoided the enemy fire and continued. Soon the inner wall fell, and they were in the city proper. His men were buoyed by this. They cheered and chanted, but he knew they needed to get to the garrison headquarters for things to truly be settled.

This time they met stiffer opposition. The enemy were more prepared. It seemed these were the elite. They would not give so easily. Maximilian felt the blows of their weapons hit him, he felt blood trickle down his arm and his face, but still he continued. The guns rang out in the distance, but it was old fashioned weaponry that commanded centre stage. Sword met sword, and faces met fists. The streets were empty of peasants, only soldiers fought. It was bloody, but his blood sang. He knew nothing else for the time.

They pushed through the streets, he took a few more blows, but eventually the enemy surrendered. He advanced through the city, making his way to headquarters to receive the surrender of the garrison commander, feeling proud of himself for what he had achieved. He felt light headed, but ignored it. It was perhaps just a symptom of the battle that had just been fought, nothing more, or less.

They got to the main road and suddenly he needed to lie down. He ignored the feeling, getting to the headquarters was far more important. Eventually they got there. He dismounted and nearly fell, but straightened out before anyone else could get to him. He stood before the garrison commander, who knelt down and handed him his sword and said. “We surrender.”

“In the name of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Leopold, I, Maximilian Elector of Bavaria accept your surrender.” Maximilian said though his voice sounded odd to his own ears. He took the man’s sword and handed it to his servants. He then ordered the man sent away. He took a step forward, and then before he knew it his legs were giving way. The ground rose up to meet him.

Chapter 12: Beginnings
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 12: Beginnings

October, 1688

“Sire, word has reached us from our sources in the Imperial Court.” Lovouis said.

Louis sat up then intrigued to see what was going to happen. “And? What word do they bring?”

“Maximilian, Elector of Bavaria died during the storming of Belgrade.” Lovouis said.

Louis didn’t know whether to clap or sigh. Bavaria’s death was a blow to the Emperor, for the man had been one of his greatest commanders and had been married to his daughter Maria Antonia. “So, now the Elector of Bavaria is either going to be the fool pretending to be Elector Palatine, or Bavaria’s brother Joseph Clemens.” Louis said, his mind whirring.

“Not necessarily, Sire.” Lovouis replied. “The Electress is pregnant, and should the child be a boy…”

“Then that child will be Elector with the mother as regent no doubt.” Louis said. “So, we have a frustrating weight.”

“Joseph Clemens has also applied to leave his post as Archbishop of Cologne, should the Electress give birth to a girl or a stillborn child. It is currently going through the Papal deliberations.” Lovouis said.

“Then it is within our desire to see that granted.” Louis responded. “We can have Clemens removed, and our own choice installed.” He thought on that once more and then asked. “What word from the Rhine?” He had placed the Dauphin under nominal command of the host that was to invest Phillipsburg and force the Archbishop of Cologne to the table.

“Philipsburg is close to surrendering, Sire.” Lovouis said. “Vaughban writes that another few days and the city shall fall.”

“Excellent, then the new Archbishop shall have to consider his options.” Louis responded. He looked down at the map before him, then asked. “And with Maximilian of Bavaria dead, the Emperor will need someone new to lead on the procession against the Ottomans. Do we know who that person is going to be?” He hoped it would be another Prince of the Empire, as they were surprisingly easy to bring to bear.

“He has named Eugene of Savoy as the new commander, Sire.” Lovouis said.

“Eugene of Savoy?” Louis repeated. “Where do we know that name from?”

Lovouis shifted slightly. “His mother Olympia was known to Your Majesty.”

Louis looked at Lovouis and saw how desperate the man was to move on with the conversation, deciding to pity him, Louis simply said. “Very well.” He looked away from the map, though his mind was racing. Olympia’s son was fighting against him? The boy could very well have been his son had things gone differently all those years ago. “The English have made their decision then on their regency council?” He asked. His cousin’s wife Mary of Modena had come to Versailles very briefly on her way back to Modena, the woman had said very little to him about how her husband had died, though Louis suspected there was more to the story.

“Yes Sire, the King’s sister is his regent. Princess Anne, not Princess Mary. As of right now they are pursuing a policy of trying unite the disparate factions within the country. As such penalisations of Catholics has increased.” Lovouis said.

Louis grumbled at that, his cousin had made some progress in such affairs, but it seemed as though England was going backwards. “Very well, and have they reached a decision as regards to the overtures you said William of Orange was making?” William of Orange, that foolish young man who had been a thorn in his side for half his reign.

Lovouis shook his head. “No, Sire. They are still debating the proposals, as far as our sources can tell.”

“Tell our sources that they must lean more pressure on the more amenable members of the council.” Louis commanded. If he could prevent England from joining this war he would be very happy.

“Yes, Sire.” Lovouis replied.

Chapter 13: Heiress
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 13: Heiress

November, 1688

Maria Antonia wanted this child to be born now. She was getting tired of the aches and pains she felt, the constant times where she didn’t know how to control her mood and why she started crying. And the odd food desires she had. Her step mother laughed when she told her about this and said it was normal. Still, Maria wanted it over and done with. And she was terrified of giving birth and the toll it would have. She was not like the Empress, she did not have wide hips and a family history of successful pregnancies. Her mother had died in childbed after all.

And yet a part of her didn’t want this to end. For as long as she was pregnant her father could not marry her off to someone else. That was the only benefit, but he still considered marriage candidates for her. On that note she said. “The Emperor wants me to meet Jakob Sobieski before the ball in a few days time.” Why her father was having a ball now she did not know. But then she supposed he needed something to keep his allies happy.

“Ooooh” Marie de Croy crooned. She was a beautiful girl was Marie, with long brown hair and piercing eyes and a small mouth. “He’s handsome.”

“Is he?” Maria asked. She’d seen a portrait of him once a few years ago, before she’d married Maximilian, and she’d not thought much of him.

“Oh very much so. The fact he remains unwed is sad.” Marie said.

Claudia Eggenberg another one of her ladies snorted. “Not truly that sad. His father is a brute, and he’s an idiot.”

“Just because he doesn’t know the latest poems by the Englishmen doesn’t mean he’s not smart, Claudia!” Marie responded.

“The way you talk about him Marie, one would think you have a thing for him.” Maria Antonia joked.

Marie blushed. “I…I simply think he is handsome.”

Maria laughed. “Well if you want when I meet him I can put in a good word for you.” Marie blushed even more then and Maria laughed some more. “Then there’s the Empress’s brother who the Emperor wishes me to meet also at this ball.”

“Oh no, which one?” Claudia asked.

“Francis Louis I think.” Maria said. She made a face then, she’d met the man before, he was not nice, nor was he kind.

“Oh no. Not his brother?” Marie asked.

“Which one, he has a few!” Maria joked.

“Philip William or his brother Freidrich Wilhelm?” Claudia supplied.

“Oh, no.” Maria Antonia responded. She’d met Philip William a fair few times during the course of her life, she found him endearing if slightly bumbling. His brother Freidrich on the other hand she did not like. There was something about him she found repellent.

“Who would you rather marry?” Marie asked then.

Without a moment’s hesitation she replied. “Between my step mother’s brother and Sobieski? Sobieski. His family is wealthy and his father would come to the Emperor’s side instead of France’s. Furthermore, their support might be necessary when it comes to Spain.” She knew her father wanted Spain for his son Karl, but it was hers by rights, and therefore she would use her husband’s family to take it if needs be.

“And what happens if the child you carry is a boy?” Claudia asked.

“Then I do not know what my father will do.” Maria responded truthfully. “He can hardly keep the Elector of Bavaria in Hofburg.”

“And what do you want the child to be?” Claudia asked.

Maria looked at her friend and pondered that question. “Truthfully I do not know. Either way my fate is out of my hands.” Unless my uncle dies, she added silently. But the chances of that happening right now were minimal.

Chapter 14: A Widower
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 14: A Widower

February, 1689

“The King remains on death’s door.” Mariana said. “Having spoken to his doctors we can confirm that this time he shall not recover.” The news had not surprised her though it had broken her heart. Her son, her little boy was doomed. She could not help but wonder why it had been him and not Margaret who had suffered from this curse. Whether there had been something done to her when she was pregnant with him that had left him like this. She shook such thoughts from her mind.

José Rodrigo, the Minister for finance spoke then. “We are very sorry to hear that Your Majesty.”

Mariana nodded, but decided to focus on something more pressing, something she could actually control. “With the King on death’s door we must focus on the succession. The French do not have any right to the throne, that is correct is it not Felipe?”

Felipe Gonzalez, the Chief Lawyer of the Court nodded. “Yes, that is true, Your Majesty. When Infanta Maria Theresa married Louis of France she agreed to resign her rights to the throne, thus meaning that her children do not have a claim.”

“So, then why does Louis of France continue to demand that his son has the right to the throne?” Mariana demanded. She had heard this demand from the man’s ambassador again earlier this week.

“Because he believes that the renunciation of the rights was dependent on the dowry being paid.” Felipe said. “And as the dowry promised at the time was unusually large, it was never likely that Spain would be able to pay it.”

“And was the renunciation contingent on the dowry being paid?” Mariana asked. She did not think her usually smart and careful husband would be quite so foolish as to promise something he could not keep.

“No, Your Majesty. There was no such clause.” Felipe responded.

“You are certain?” Mariana asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty. I looked through the treaty which arranged the marriage earlier today.” Felipe said.

“Very well then.” Mariana responded.

“With the French excluded from the succession, that means that Your Majesty’s granddaughter Maria Antonia is now in line to the throne.” The Archbishop of Toledo said.

“Indeed.” Mariana replied. She had never met the girl before, but she knew deep down that she would make a good Queen. “The Emperor has written to say that he is considering two new candidates for her hand in marriage, once she had had her child.”

“Surely as heiress to Spain, it should be for the King of Spain to choose her bride, not the Emperor?” José suggested.

“The Emperor is her father and reserves that right.” Felipe said then. “And besides, the candidates being considered would bring benefits to Spain either way.”

“Who are the candidates?” Toledo asked.

Mariana got the sense that Toledo leaned one way, toward Versailles, but she had never had anything more than a suspicion and as such knew that Toledo was far too powerful to question that way. “Jaime Sobieski, son of the King of Poland, and Freidrich Wilhelm of Neubeurg, the brother of the Empress.”

“Both good choices. If his son is married to the future Queen of Spain, it is very likely that Sobieski himself will abandon the French.” Toledo pointed out.

“Exactly, another blow against that fool, Louis of France.” Mariana said. “Once the child is born to Maria Antonia, perhaps it would be best if she came here to Spain for a time.”

“That would be wise. It would give her the chance to get to know the court.” Felipe said.

“We shall write to the Emperor about it.” Mariana said then, thinking about how to make her brother see the sense in that.

Chapter 15: Habsburg Quandaries
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 15: Habsburg Quandaries

April, 1689

Leopold took a deep breath then said. “Our daughter, Maria Antonia Dowager Electress of Bavaria gave birth to a son late last night.” There were cheers from the assembled council members, Leopold forced a smile through. He was disappointed in the one hand because it meant that he could not marry the child to his son Karl, on the other he was pleased because it meant he could raise the child for his own ends. “She named the child Leopold Maximilian in honour of our person and her husband Maximilian.”

“Congratulations, Your Imperial Majesty.” Charles Henri, his chancellor said. “That is most pleasing to hear.”

“Yes, congratulations, Sire.” Ferdinand de Roy, his minister for finance said.

“Thank you, gentlemen.” Leopold said. “Naturally the boy is Elector of Bavaria, and we have confirmed Maximilian Philip as the regent in Bavaria until such time as the child is of age to rule there himself. Joseph Clemens shall remain as Archbishop of Cologne with confirmation from His Holiness in Rome.” That was the one good thing about this, Clemens was now tied to him even further, what with the French investing his Archbishopric.

“However,” Leopold continued. “This raises a new concern.”

As he had expected Charles Henri spoke. “The Spanish succession, Sire?”

“Yes.” Leopold replied. “King Karl, our cousin has shown no signs of responsiveness to his doctors for weeks now. For all intents and purposes he is dead. That means that our daughter is now his heir, and the new Queen in short order. Which also means that our grandson Leopold is her heir. However, he is also Elector of Bavaria, and we cannot allow for the Elector of Bavaria to also be King of Spain. Therefore, he would either need to renounce his rights to the Electorship, or to Spain. However, we know our daughter, she will not let her son renounce anything, nor will she renounce anything for him. And rightly so, therefore, we shall need your advice.”

Charles Henri said nothing for a moment and then replied. “Personally Sire, I would wait to see what happens. There are marriage negotiations still ongoing between Her Royal Highness and the Sobieski boy, as well as with Your Imperial Majesty’s brother by marriage. If Your Imperial Majesty wished, you could arrange a meeting with King Karl or his regent and Mother, Your Imperial Majesty’s sister, to discuss whether or not she and the Cortes would accept a second son or daughter by Her Royal Highness’s second marriage.”

Leopold considered this. Ideally he would want to place his own son Karl on the throne, on the other hand, he knew that that would perhaps be unlikely for now. “Do you think such a thing would hold ground?”

“If it was done within the proper means of Spanish law, then there is nothing that the other powers could do. King Louis of France is claiming France through his understanding of the marriage treaty. Something that if I can be frank is flawed.” Charles Henri said. “This would not be.”

Leopold mused on this, he personally preferred his brother by marriage Friedrich for his daughter, but he suspected she might go for Sobieski because of his looks. Either way he would secure the inheritance for his family. “Very well, start drafting the proposal. We shall speak with our sister.” He knew Mariana would be amenable, she just didn’t want someone else taking the throne, especially not a French man. On that note he said. “Now, onto the war.”

Karl Theodore Prince of Salm spoke then. “Sire, the French remain steady in their desire to invest Cologne. However, our forces under the command of Charles Duke of Lorraine have slowly begun pushing them away from the other towns in the region. Lorraine has even begun formulating a plan to drive the French out of the Rhine area itself and perhaps pushing them into Luxembourg.”

Leopold thought on that. “How many men would he need for such a venture?”

Salm shook his head. “It is not the men, but the way he would need to strike. So far the French have avoided complete battles, instead preferring to move from one place to another using the formations written about by their Marshal Vaughban, however, the King of France is growing frustrated with that. Soon they will try for an all-out assault on Cologne. That will be Lorraine’s best chance.”

“How so?” Leopold asked raising an eyebrow.

“Turkenlouis has a force at Coblenz, Lorraine is east of the Rhine opposite Cologne. The two forces will join together to keep France’s forces in the middle between them and crush them.” Salm said.

“Louis would never be foolish enough to allow that, not when his son is commanding the troops.” Leopold said dismissively.

“Louis has not realised that the army he sent under Catinat has been destroyed. Our riders have been effective in preventing word getting back to him. He does not know how many armies he has in the field. He is blind.” Salm said.

For a brief moment, Leopold imagined driving the French out of the Empire completely and he savoured it. Then he paused to consider the cost, it would be expensive, but it would be worth it. Especially if they could end this before his cousin died. Eventually he said. “Very well, tell Lorraine and Baden we agree.”

Salm nodded. “Yes, Sire, at once.”

Chapter 16: Godolphin
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 16: Godolphin

July, 1689

Sidney took a moment, gathered his thoughts and then spoke. “I bring good news, Your Highness.” The Princess looked at him as did the rest of the council. “The Calamities Bill has passed through the House of Commons.” The Princess smiled and there was a great cheer in the cabinet room. The bill had been drafted to sort out who would have possession of the King should the Princess die in childbed, given that she had recently delivered a son named James as well, it seemed sensible. “The Commons has consented to the Bishop of London being granted possession of the King and for him to ascend to a place on this council.”

“Excellent work, Sidney.” The Princess said. Sidney smiled. “And what of the amendment that Devonshire had added on?”

“The Devonshire amendment to try and get religious freedom for dissenters was widely voted against. Indeed, Sir Stephen Fox gave a long speech stating that it was nothing more than a power grab.” Sidney responded. Fox had said it was something else as well, but that was the general gist of things.

“Excellent, indeed. I shall let the Bishop of London know as soon as can be.” The Princess said.

“Now that the Calamities Bill is done, perhaps we can turn our attention to the matter at hand?” Sunderland asked.

Sidney knew the man did not like him, in truth Sunderland did not like Sidney or John Churchill, seeing them as new men, despite the fact he himself was a new man, having been given his peerage by the King’s uncle some years ago. Sidney did not have his respect, not in the same way Sir John the previous First Lord had had, but he did not care, he had the respect of the Princess. “Yes, let us.” The Princess said.

Sunderland took the lead from there. “The current situation in the Holy Roman Empire is thus, Philipsburg belongs to the French, but they were repelled at the Siege of Cologne by the Imperial army commanded by the Duke of Lorraine. Indeed, word from the Imperial ambassador suggests that they are going to try an assault on Philipsburg itself.”

“So, this war will be over by the end of the year then?” Sidney asked, they had provided some funding to the Imperial army in the form of loans, but with the plans being laid for the Bank of Albion he was not sure if they could continue long term.

“That is the optimistic view, yes.” Sunderland replied. “The more pessimistic view is that King Louis will wait until King Carlos of Spain finally dies, then put forward his own claims to the Spanish Empire in Italy and the Spanish Netherlands.”

“And where will the Spanish go in your view?” The Princess asked.

“They will not want a partition; they will want everything to go to Maria Antonia.” Sunderland said.

“And that is the position we should take also. We cannot afford a war that would inevitably drag us into it, Your Highness.” Sidney said. “The Bank of Albion will be ready by the end of the month, however, it won’t be able to fully sustain such a grand war effort, if King Carlos dies before then.” That was the truth, he’d spoken with the advisors from the city, and they’d all said the same. A long war that would inevitably bring England into it would be bad for the bank and the economy in the short term, whilst the bank found its footing.

“Then what do you suggest?” The Princess asked. “We cannot simply allow France to continue going on as it is now.”

Sidney had thought about this quite a bit over the past few days, and presented the solution as he saw it. “Your Highness must offer to mediate the situation between France, Spain and the Austrians. Propose a conference here in London, and ensure that they are suitably enticed to come.”

“Enticing them how?” The Princess asked.

“Trade agreements, lowering of tariffs, and a possible corridor of certainty through the New World oceans.” Sidney said. He had mapped this idea out over the past few months and was convinced this would be enough.

“That might just work.” Sunderland said.

The Princess did not say anything for a moment, and for a time, Sidney worried she would reject his proposal. Eventually, she spoke. “Very well, send word to the ambassadors. Let us see if we can end this war, and prevent another one.”

Chapter 17: Peace Proposals
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 17: Peace Proposals

October, 1689

“The performance of our troops on the Rhine is of grave concern.” Louis said reading through the reports that his son and then Vaughban had sent through. “Their defeat at Cologne and then the withdrawal to Philipsburg appear to be most unusual.”

“Sire, the armies under the command of the Duke of Lorraine have been using new techniques, furthermore, they’ve been getting funding from both England and the Dutch Republic. It does appear as though this new Bank of Albion that the English have set up has gotten a lot of investment.” Lovouis said.

Louis looked at his chief minister and asked with barely disguised contempt. “Are you telling us, Lovouis, that we are being outdone by a financier?”

Lovouis did not say anything immediately, but then he said. “I believe we might need to consider reforms.”

Louis looked at Marshal Bellefonds his minister for war and asked him. “Do you agree?”

Previously Bellefonds might have been expected to visibly protest this and instead suggest an all out assault, this time however, it seemed his mood was different. “I do, Sire. We must change the way we approach the war effort. If we keep pushing even when all seems to have gone beyond the pale, not only will we be facing soldier riots, but also the potential for England and the Dutch Republic to get involved. Something which would leave us alone.”

“So, then what is the solution?” Louis asked. He didn’t like where this was going, but he was not foolish.

“We could consider the proposal that has come from England, Sire.” Lovouis suggested tentatively.

Louis looked at the man and said aloud. “The proposal where they state that if we come to London they will mediate between us and our cousin Leopold. That they will aim to resolve the dispute on the Rhine and other such concerns.”

“Yes, Sire.” Lovouis said. “I think that it is a reasonable proposal. They do not want anything within the Empire or in Spain. And indeed, they even propose trade agreements that are beneficial to all sides.”

“Yes, the ease of access trading within the new world, and the potential for French goods to interact within the English market. Certainly, something worth considering.” Louis said, musing aloud. He knew that such a thing would never have been considered during his cousin James or Charles’ reigns. But perhaps things had changed.

“I do not know whether such a proposal is worthy of consideration, Sire.” Bellefonds said. “They also propose keeping the Spanish Netherlands outside of any control but Madrid’s, but Madrid has no King of proper note, given that King Charles has been incapacitated for months now.”

“The brat has been incapacitated for years.” Louis said dismissively. “We have a solution for that issue.”

“Sire?” Lovouis asked, though the man already knew what Louis had planned.

“We shall have our emissary propose that the Spanish Netherlands become a neutral zone, with different parts of it ruled by the English, the Dutch, the Austrians and ourselves. Each shall have a free trading agreement with the other. The Spanish have shown they cannot properly govern the place, nor can they hold onto it. This would ease the burden.” Louis said simply.

“That is a plan that would need the agreement of the Regent of Spain, surely?” Bellefonds asked.

“Not necessarily.” Pellier, his finance minister said. “This is the only way to guarantee there is no war when King Charles dies. England will agree to it.”

“And if England agrees to it, the Dutch will likely also agree to it.” Louis said. “Which means that Spain and Austria have no other choice but to agree as well.”

Louis then looked at Lovouis. “That is what you shall argue in London, Lovouis. Present the arguments as clearly and concisely as possible.”

Lovouis nodded. “Yes, Sire.”

Chapter 18: Berwick
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 18: Berwick

November, 1689

James stretched, he didn’t like being kept cooped up, but he supposed it made sense. He was the Catholic soldier son of the previous King who’d won plaudits and acclaim for fighting against the Turk, and now here he was, with his father dead, and all sorts of other things going slightly sideways. His half-brother was an infant King, and his half-sister mistrusted him. It was only because of his uncle’s grace that he had not yet been thrown into prison, and allowed to stay in Churchill Manor in London, down the road from Whitehall Palace.

“How much longer must I stay here, uncle?” James asked. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate the roof over my head and the work you’ve done for me, but I am not made for sitting still.”

His uncle, John Churchill, Lord Churchill laughed. “I know lad, I know. There is a lot going on outside. With the Calamities Act, having passed and Devonshire having retired to the countryside, I think things are going to get a bit more interesting shortly.”

“What do you mean?” James asked. He tried to keep abreast of such news, but he couldn’t understand quite what was happening. His half-sister was acting as if she were Queen, barking out orders here and there, all in the name of their half-brother King James III.

“What I mean, lad, is that Devonshire has retired to the country and therefore the Country Party or as they’ve taken to calling themselves, the Whigs, are now led by the Earl of Shrewsbury who is by far a more dangerous man.” His uncle said. “He will smile openly, but plot behind closed doors. There are already rumours of Catholics in Shrewsbury’s lands disappearing, or being imprisoned without due cause. The Princess is looking into it, but she needs Shrewsbury onside for the peace conference.”

“So, am I being kept inside, prevented from even exercising properly, because of this?” James asked, annoyance beginning to colour his tone.

“Yes.” His uncle responded. “You are dangerous in the eyes of the Whigs and their followers.”

James snorted. “Me? Why?”

“Because you have won acclaim as a soldier. The Emperor himself wrote to your father King James talking of how good a soldier you were, and the King openly spoke of making you regent for his heir should he die before the boy came of age. Therefore, many people are now wondering if you intend to seize on that.” His uncle replied.

“What?!” James exclaimed. He had not known of any of this. “I don’t want to be regent. I hate politics. I’m a soldier. Not a politician. You must know that!”

“I do.” Lord Churchill said holding out a hand to pacify his nephew. “But they do not. You were educated in France; you have spent most of your life abroad. These people do not know you. They only know you are a Catholic.”

“That is hardly my fault!” James protested. “I did not ask to be raised Catholic, the King insisted on it and Mother complied.”

“I know, lad!” His uncle replied. “But can you see their fears. You have returned at the exact moment when this Kingdom is torn within itself. So, there is only one thing that can be done.”

“And what is that?” James asked though he suspected he knew what the answer would be.

“You must publicly convert to Anglicanism. That is the only way to get people off of your back.” Lord Churchill said.

“I…” James began and then he stopped. He thought on it, he was a Catholic and had been since birth, but he was not devout. He held to God, but was it really that different to believe in the Catholic version of God to the Anglican God, weren’t they one and the same? “If I converted would I retain the Colonelcy of the Blues?” He asked, he had known his uncle had wanted that position before his father had given it to him.

“You would, the Princess has agreed to it.” Churchill said.

James was surprised by this, but he suspected that there was something else that he would have to do as well, and so he asked. “And is there something else?”

“Yes, you would need to marry Margaret Cavendish, daughter of the Duke of Newcastle. The Princess has said and the regency council has confirmed that you would be created Duke of Newcastle in right of your wife, when the time comes.” His uncle said.

He thought on that. The Cavendish girl would come with a large fortune, but she had two older sisters. From the way, his uncle was looking at him, he got the feeling that those two girls would be sorted out in due course. Eventually he nodded and said. “Very well, I shall do it.”

His uncle smiled. “Excellent, I shall speak with His Grace the Archbishop of Canterbury and begin organising the ceremony.”

Chapter 19: Ambassador Galore
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 19: Ambassador Galore

March, 1690

It had taken a lot to get the ambassadors from Versailles and Hofburg to come to Whitehall. It seemed that both sides were still content to stare at one another from across the walls of Philipsburg, Anne had had to get the Royal Navy preparing for a bombardment somewhere-where she had not specified- but the threat of it had been enough for the two men to stop their contest and send their ambassadors here. Anne was pleased with that. She found the French ambassador Lovouis to be pompous and quite terribly French, whilst the Imperial ambassador Furstenberg was cold and uncaring as far as she could tell.

She took a sip of wine and then spoke in slightly rusty German. “Gentlemen, thank you both for coming. I hope that the services here have been to your liking. We are here to discuss a peace between the Empire and France. As you are both aware, England’s position is that this war is most unusual and unnecessary. There are claims that both sides are pushing that can be resolved fairly without the need of bloodshed.” She did not mention the fact that William had sent her curt letter saying that if she did not sort this issue out, he would. “Therefore, let us discuss the concerns both of you have and see if we cannot resolve them here and now.”

Lovouis spoke without even waiting. “His Most Catholic Majesty King Louis demands that the Emperor recognise his rule over Luxembourg. Treaties were signed which granted the territory to him. Furthermore, he wishes for the Emperor to recognise Philipsburg as now belonging to France, given that the denizens of Philipsburg have themselves voted in favour of this.”

Furstenberg snorted. “They are only doing that because there are guns pointed at them. French guns. Furthermore, Luxembourg belongs to Spain and has done since Emperor Karl ascended the Spanish throne. Whatever treaty was signed beforehand is irrelevant given France’s actions.”

Anne could tell this meeting was going to get heated, she signalled for the servants to bring wine and ale. When those were put before the two men she watched what drinks they chose. Lovouis went for wine, and Furstenberg for the ale. Interesting choices. “Gentlemen, I recognise the concerns that you both have. But there remains a room for compromise.” Both men looked at her. She said nothing for a moment, giving herself time to think through what it was Sarah and Godolphin had told her to say, then she said. “Luxembourg belongs to France per the treaty of 1679. Furthermore, Philipsburg though it might have voted to belong to France, did so at the point of a barrel, as I am sure King Louis realises, this does not hold ground with the acceptable practices of good conduct. Therefore, England proposes that in exchange for recognising French sovereignty of Luxembourg, France return Philipsburg to the empire and also returns Lorraine to its Duke.”

There was a brief moment of silence where Anne worried someone would either curse her or laugh at her, instead what happened was that Lovouis said. “His Most Catholic Majesty would be willing to consider this proposal, but the desire to return Philipsburg would need to come from the people there.”

“And will there be a free and fair vote to allow this to happen?” Furstenberg retorted.

“Yes.” Lovouis said. “His Most Catholic Majesty is prepared to grant this, he will withdraw troops to Luxembourg and move from there.”

Anne looked at Lovouis, it seemed almost too good to be true. Before she could ask for confirmation, Lovouis said. “You can be assured Your Highness, His Most Catholic Majesty does not want a war, he simply wished for the borders of France to be respected.”

Anne looked at Furstenberg who shrugged. Anne then turned back to Lovouis and said. “If King Louis shall withdraw his troops to Luxembourg and allow a free vote on this matter, I see nothing wrong with that.”

Anne looked at Furstenberg again, she suspected that he might voice objections given the nature of this, but he did not instead he simply replied. “We see nothing wrong with this. We shall be a keen observer to this matter.”

“Very good.” Anne said clapping her hands together delighted that this matter was soon to be put to rest. “Now on the missive inviting you both here, there was a mention that we would discuss the issue of the Spanish Netherlands, let us now proceed to that.”

Furstenberg immediately spoke. “The Emperor would ideally like for his daughter and her son to inherit the entirety of the Spanish inheritance, however, he understands that given the logistical nightmare of managing the Spanish Netherlands that a division of the territory is necessary.”

“His Most Catholic Majesty also agrees.” Lovouis said.

Anne nodded. “Excellent.” She was about to continue when the door opened behind her, and a messenger slipped in. “What?!” She demanded angry. She had left strict orders that she was not to be interrupted during this meeting.

“Message from the Earl of Sunderland, Your Highness.” The messenger said, handing her a piece of paper.

Anne read it:

Your Highness,

Apologies for disturbing you. Word has come from the ambassador in Madrid. King Charles is dead. Queen Dowager Marianna is soon to issue a proclamation stating the entire empire goes to her granddaughter.

RS

Anne wanted to swear, instead she nodded dismissed the messenger and looked at the two men before her. “My apologies, gentlemen. But we have just received word that King Karl of Spain has died.”

Chapter 20: March To War
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 20: March To War

April, 1690

“Our cousin Louis continues to refuse any sort of negotiation or compromise regarding Spain and the inheritance.” Leopold said reading the letter that his sister Marianna had sent him. “He demands the Spanish Netherlands in return for recognising the claim of our daughter to the throne of Spain, and in recompense for the non-payment of the dowry for his wife.” Leopold had to admit Louis was bold and daring, if not the brightest spark, he knew what he was doing. “Naturally, our sister the Queen Dowager and regent has refused, saying that the Spanish Empire will go to our daughter and nothing less. However, this has led to Louis mobilising troops.” He finished there, placing the letter to one side.

The Prince of Salm spoke then. “The answer is a simple one, Sire. We must fight France in the field of battle and we must beat them completely.”

“We are aware, the question is where.” Leopold responded. “Our sister writes that they are marshalling forces to invade Spanish Navarre, that they are trying to instigate rebellion in Catalonia. We know they are trying to send ships into Naples and Sicily, and are moving into Philipsburg once more to strengthen their position. That is three fronts we need to be concerned about.”

Salm said something Leopold had not expected then. “Naples and Sicily should not be our concern, Sire. Milan protects the integrity of the Empire, therefore that must be our primary concern in Italy. As must the Rhine. If necessary then we can try to send aid to the Spanish Netherlands, though with the recent striking of alliances with the Dutch Republic and England, I do not think that will be necessary.”

“And there is the fact that the French King has won the Duke of Savoy over to his cause through arranging the marriage of his grandson with Savoy’s daughter.” Charles Henri said. “Which means that Savoy will have French support in their attempts to gain Milan.”

Leopold wanted to sigh, but instead he forced that down. “Very well. We shall direct Eugene to marshal his forces and ride with haste toward Milan. We cannot afford it falling into French or Savoyard hands.”

Salm nodded and made a note of that. “Perhaps the Margrave of Baden can push forward from his position in Cologne, Sire?”

“Yes. We want Philipsburg in our hands and then we shall march from there onto Luxembourg.” Leopold said. “Tell Lorraine that we want him aiding Baden as much as possible.” Leopold personally thought that Lorraine was the superior commander, but he was also wary of giving the man too much power.

“Of course, Sire.” Salm said. The man made another note and then he asked. “What of the Spanish Netherlands? Will we leave it to the English and the Dutch to take control of the fighting in that area?”

Leopold shook his head. “No, we all know that the English will try and propose their ridiculous plan again if they get the chance. Instead we shall allow them some early chances to engage there, then when the chance comes we shall divert Lorraine to that field of combat.”

Salm made a note of that, and Ferdinand his finance minister said. “We will need to raise taxes then Sire. And we will need to get the Imperial Princes to agree as well.”

Leopold hesitated then, he knew that this matter might be regarded as a simple Austria against France matter, but he also knew that if France succeeded here, then the Empire’s integrity was in danger and that was something that nobody could stomach. “That man Swift still here?” A young man from England named Jonathan Swift had found his way to Vienna, talking about how he was great at writing things that would make people believe anything. Leopold had been intrigued by him.

“He is, Sire.” Ferdinand said.

“Pay him a fee and tell him he is to write a pamphlet that can be distributed easily, that will convince the people of the need for this war.” Leopold said.

“The people? Not the Electors, Sire?” Ferdinand asked.

“The Electors and the Princes will get their act together if the people are demanding action.” Leopold replied.

“Very well, Sire.” Ferdinand responded.

Leopold then turned to another matter that had been pressing at him. “Now with this war escalating, we shall need to sort out our daughter’s marriage.” He knew that technically as Queen of Spain his daughter could arrange her own marriage, but she was under his roof and his protection, therefore he would do it.

“Sobieski must be the one considered, Sire. He has French leanings, but if his son is married to Her Royal Highness then he will be more inclined to siding with you.” Salm said.

“Even if his grandchildren are not directly in line to the throne?” Leopold asked, unsure. He did not want to give Sobieski that much power.

“I believe so.” Salm said. “He will do whatever it takes to secure that inheritance, and with the issue of Bavaria still pressing well, who knows what you might be able to dangle in front of him.”

“Salm is right, Sire.” Charles Henri said. “Sobieski is not foolish, if his son is married to Her Royal Highness, he will have royal grandchildren, something he has long craved. Furthermore, Bavaria remains an issue.”

Leopold thought on that, he did not want to deny his grandson Leopold anything, but at the same time he knew that it was a possibility. Therefore, with great reluctance he said. “Very well, send word to Sobieski, tell him we shall confirm this marriage.” He would deal with his daughter himself.

Last edited: