Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of something more obviously cobbled-together-by-ants-under-the-basement sort of look (under the remarkably convincing Homer disguise). And because ants, everything mechanical is just more ants pushing, pulling, turning little wheels, etc.
Now, once they're found out and the ants have to make their getaway, then I am all for parodying Gundam's art and fight direction, some classic music beats and visual gags.
As much as I would like a Gundam reference in the show, I have doubts on whether Matt Groening and others are even going to be exposed to Gundam, much less the original, since none of the shows from the franchise have even been released yet. It's going to depend on the year whether that kind of joke is even viable (I don't know if Groening is a Gundam fan or not), and OTL's release of Gundam series probably isn't going to cut it.

Given how funny the idea of a "human" character being a bunch of animals in a person suit is as a protagonist, I'd like to think someone else tries making it an on-going series (and I recall there were a couple of shows in the late 80s/early 90s with a teen protagonist who was actually an alien or robot so it's hardly breaking new ground). Change the radioactive ants to a highly trained team of unusually-intelligent squirrels with a military pastiche and I think you'd have something. You could even do it animated (see the music video for I Can Friday by Day for an example) or live with puppetry for the squirrels.
Ooh, nice idea.

TBH, it reminds me of the film Meet Dave. Maybe for TTL its a bit closer to what Bill Corbett intended: kid-oriented film called Starship Dave. Hey maybe for the 2000's Disney can release it instead.

Speaking of bad Eddie Murphy films, the infamous Pluto Nash was in development since 1983. IOTL, Castle Rock got Ron Underwood tapped after City Slickers and went through after Mighty Joe Young (may or may not be butterflied), which isn't the case here (CS is Gene Wilder movie, Ron's IDK where).
Maybe it comes earlier ITTL too and is better by any margin?

Last edited:
After a bit of looking up on Google, it is a shame that Groening is not a Gundam fan OTL, so I still have doubts on whether they'll add a Gundam reference in. Although....ITTL could change things for him. Muhahahaha.... :evilsmile:

But you know who is a fan (aside from Linkin Park)? Guillermo del Toro. If only he did a live action Gundam film ITTL, it would be epic! Probably not in the 90s/00s though.

Sidenote, I discovered an anime that was created by Hayao Miyazaki and directed by Hideaki Anno which could be of some interest to Disney for their Toontown Channel/Vaultoons block...

Sidenote, I discovered an anime that was created by Hayao Miyazaki and directed by Hideaki Anno which could be of some interest to Disney for their Toontown Channel/Vaultoons block...

Not only that, but people thought Atlantis: The Lost Empire copied the plot of Nadia a la Lion King vs. Kimba.

So that's another connection that would benefit from a timeslot on Toontown Channel or Vaultoons.

Pacific Rim would like to know if it's a joke to you? :)
Oh please, that's not even the same genre. It's clear that Pacific Rim is a take on the kaiju genre with massive mechs, while Gundam involves war between two human factions (i.e. Real Robot). I can see Guillermo make both Pacific Rim and the Gundam film if he was interested.

Pacific Rim would like to know if it's a joke to you? :)
Yes, but it's a favourite joke that gets retold at parties.

A del Toro Gundam would be interesting, no doubt at least as good as the live-action movie we got, the infamous G-Savior.

I really liked Nadia, although if it was ever adapted for US broadcast it'll likely be just as infamous for the "huh?" ending as OTL, only more people will have seen it. If it results in more period settings for kids shows, I'm all for it. Americans tend to treat anything before the First World War as fantasy-adjacent settings anyway.

A del Toro Gundam would be interesting, no doubt at least as good as the live-action movie we got, the infamous G-Savior.
I think he would have a better shot at making a success compared to the one that is being produced OTL, especially since his ITTL self would be exposed to more Gundam content and knows the ins-and-outs of the franchise.

I really liked Nadia, although if it was ever adapted for US broadcast it'll likely be just as infamous for the "huh?" ending as OTL, only more people will have seen it. If it results in more period settings for kids shows, I'm all for it. Americans tend to treat anything before the First World War as fantasy-adjacent settings anyway.
I sure hope so. So far we could have Nadia, the Ghibli films, Doraemon, the Brave Series, Osomatsu-kun, Patlabor, Sailor Moon, and others as possible contenders for the Vaultoons block/Toontown for the early 90s, which would be a really exciting opening lineup.

I sure hope so. So far we could have Nadia, the Ghibli films, Doraemon, the Brave Series, Osomatsu-kun, Patlabor, Sailor Moon, and others as possible contenders for the Vaultoons block/Toontown for the early 90s, which would be a really exciting opening lineup.
Why not separate the American animation for adults from the Japanese dubs with a name change?

Cartoons for adults = Vaultoons
Amine for adults = Vaultokyo

Do you think that would work?

Why not separate the American animation for adults from the Japanese dubs with a name change?

Cartoons for adults = Vaultoons
Amine for adults = Vaultokyo

Do you think that would work?
Didn't we have Vault Disney for American cartoons while Vaultoons were a mostly anime block?

This could be a good time for Jim to get in touch with Haim Saban again. Lord knows he'd love to work his magic on this one. Probably'll come to Jim first.

Last edited:
Well hopefully it doesn't spawn the shit you and I hated/watched obliviously in the 2000's, like Dora!
For all we as older, non-Periphery Demographic viewers mocked Dora, a lot of young Latina girls related to and saw her as an icon. You can’t say the representation at least was a bad thing… and I’ll admit, the live-action movie featuring Isabela Moner was far better than it had any right to be.
"the now infamous reveal that baby Dot was not Leela and Bart’s baby sister, but thirteen-year-old Leela’s daughter." Now that sounds like a world stopping revelation. Water coolers would have been alight!
Oh, yes they would. And compared to OTL trying this kind of stuff with Seth MacFarlane’s work… we truly do live in the cursed timeline!

I’m pleasantly surprised to learn that contrary to my original thoughts (or misremembering it), Leela Bunyan is the eldest of the three children here; it highlights how even the multiversal counterpart thing doesn’t actually make them all the same people, based on their distinct worldly contexts influencing who they become. Even the two Barts, who are closest in age and base personality traits (as highlighted by their shared given name) can’t be reliably called out as the same person in two variant worlds but instead being their own individual people in many ways.

Additionally… the fact that, as usual, censors don’t realise how what you DON’T say is far more impactful than what you DO get to say in the show, means a lot there.
Rugrats- ITTL me might have caught the odd one or two, but not the right demographic.
Would I have liked this more than IOTL, or less? I honestly cannot say; Groening’s influence probably isn’t AS great as the other two shows, but even the difference in having pre-school aged children vs. infants and toddlers would have impacted the writing to some measure or other… I’m guessing that Tommy and the twins are 3, Chuckie is 4 and Angelica is 5? Do any of the later characters get introduced — Susie, Dil and Kimi specifically? — and what about the cast, are they all also shared with The Bunyans/Nuclear Family regulars (besides Nancy Cartwright, who ITTL is the OG!Chuckie instead of The Other Darrin to Christine Cavanaugh)?

Why yes, I do think too hard on this stuff thank you for asking.
"super-intelligent chimps who sound awfully like The Young Ones" I think ITTL me might like Nuclear Family.
Same here.
"the upcoming release of the film Kong: King of Skull Island." I wonder if this is earlier than the Kong movie we got OTL? Maybe Peter Jackson's movie is this instead of a straight remake of the 1933 movie?
Whether it’s PJ or not, I’m now wondering how his pitch for LotR goes; if it’s made any years sooner, Christopher Lee might get his wish of being Gandalf come true (albeit, he was an exceptional Saruman IOTL).
Into The Groeningverse sounds like an a fun bonkers idea. I wonder how many parallel characters Groening ended up with?
Probably whatever would be recognisable as TTL!Futurama (to us) is included among them, I’m betting.
And OTL's Rugrats went on for 13 years.
Which included a hiatus/revival between Seasons 3 & 4, mind you, but your point is still valid.
Is it in the same design as a Gundam Mobile Suit? Please. If yes this could lead to the show referencing cartoons from any number of foreign countries, like Tintin amongst others.
Funny you mention Tintin; just a few days ago, I watched a video by YouTuber BREADSWORD about the animated movie; he went into extensive detail about why he considered it an excellent adaptation, which included analysis of Hergé’s own life (and how it impacted his writing over the years) and some depth on how long Steven Spielberg held onto (and renewed) the movie rights until he finally had the ingredients necessary to make the movie he felt the character deserved. Apparently Spielberg wasn’t aware of the character until after Raiders of the List Ark prompted people to compare Indiana Jones to Tintin, and when he got into the character he reached out to Hergé himself to negotiate for movie rights: the old Belgian had become jaded to adaptation of his work, but did give Steven his blessing as the “only” person he could see doing Tintin right… sadly, his death before they could meet in London to go in depth led to Steven shelving it for a long time.

Actually, BREADSWORD is an excellent source for analysis of context behind the works he analyses; his The Road to El Dorado video was eye-opening for me about what inspired the movie’s satirical style…
Or have him be Chunky's uncle/babysitter.

By making him an uncle we could do both and have a Mr. Rogers like episode where the subject of death is dealt with in a serious fashion some point after Frank's death.
I’m getting Will Lee/Mr. Hooper vibes, you guys…

Speaking of Tintin, I do hope that Nelvana makes the excellent animated adaptation in '91 as OTL. I loved that show and just now, looking up the production dates online, discovered Detective Thomson (not to be confused with Detective Thompson, who looks nothing alike) was voiced by Dan Hennessey, who was my neighbour when I was younger.

Speaking of Tintin, I do hope that Nelvana makes the excellent animated adaptation in '91 as OTL. I loved that show and just now, looking up the production dates online, discovered Detective Thomson (not to be confused with Detective Thompson, who looks nothing alike) was voiced by Dan Hennessey, who was my neighbour when I was younger.
A Small World, indeed. 😁 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.