Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Little Mermaid and BATB were pitched in the early 80s - it's going to be hard to completely butterfly them away.

That said, if Rowan Atkinson does Sebastian, I'm guessing the "been there, done that" principle means no Cogsworth either.

Both Little Mermaid and BATB were pitched in the early 80s - it's going to be hard to completely butterfly them away.

Certainly. at this point, Henson would have heard the pitches for them, given the circumstances behind their being pitched haven't been butterflied to the best of my knowledge.

That said, if Rowan Atkinson does Sebastian, I'm guessing the "been there, done that" principle means no Cogsworth either.
Possibly not - given that the Sebastian/Clarence (for that was originally his name) I have in my head doesn't really act like Cogsworth, being much more sarcastic and temperamental - he also has a stupid sidekick voiced by Tony Robinson (guess the reference).

Having said that, we could actually see Cogsworth played by John Cleese, as was originally intended, rather than David Ogden Stiers.

Given the whole "Production Posse" thing we sometimes saw with Disney supporting casts, I wouldn't be surprised if Atkinson still ends up playing Zazu if/when the TLK equivalent comes round.

Will this be animated or live action? If animated I would love to see in Ralph Bakshi's animated style even if he never had an animation studio for Disney to buy ITTL.

Here is a list of unfinished Jim Henson Productions projects that could get finished ITTL:
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Untitled_Muppet_Halloween_Specials (1991)
https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Muppetville_(concept) (This could become a WDW gate)
I'll look these over, thanks.

Disneyland Valencia sounds so much nicer than the OTL Paris park- proper Castle, lots of high architectural standards, port, alt energy, and environmental controls. Plus not building shed load of hotels means the locals still get a slice of the pie too. I bet the opening cheremony for Disneyland Valencia is going to rival the Olympic one!

Wells in government? Hum... better than a rival studio!

Glad the Disney Town project has not been abandoned. I think that should pay off nicely for them.

Good they kept and refrub the old buildings- gives a sense of continuity and history to the place.

So, did the UN chase Saddam into Iraq when his army fell apart? @Geekhis Khan That would certainly change things ITTL. Be a cool butterfly to read.

Good chapter.
All the descriptions for how they're doing the castle comes from the OTL Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Paris. Pretty much the same type of attention to detail is happening here, but with a few profound changes.

The Gulf War goes pretty much as OTL. Saddam's army was largely made up of unenthusiastic conscripts, many of them Shia or Kurds. The Shock and Awe campaign will still cripple Iraq's C&C infrastructure. The same generals are in charge, so I resume the feint-and-hook strategy is still employed. GHW Bush has no interest in pushing a regime change knowing that would uncork a lot of ethnic tensions in the country and the region. Barring a random butterfly like Saddam getting killed by a smart bomb, of course. If anyone has any knowledge of small, accidental things like that let me know.

Oh what are the Team Disney buildings that Geekhis is talking about...
*looks them up*

team-disney-building-1180x6001-1180x600.jpg

(Image source: D23.com)

I can see why Roy would be horrified to see these buildings. Good call to have the old ones restored and modernized.
Yea Roy Disney hated that building iOTL, at least according to Disney War, and it became symbolic to Roy of Eisner's attempts to supplant Walt with himself and Walt's vision with his own.

Wait a tic, Little Mermaid got butterflied, right?
Both films are still in Production Hell as it were, like with The Snow Queen and Don Quixote.

Yeah, the only thing bigger than Walt Disney's legacy is the ego of the man who thought that he could supplant Walt's legacy at the company bearing his name.

Spanish anarchists/communists and Disney

Could there be a way of defusing the tension between the Spanish Anarchists and Communists and Disney. Being Communists and Anarchists they are both pretty opposed on moral principles to Disney but maybe Disney make a concession to appease them/stop them causing problems. This could include donations to historical sites of The Spanish Civil War and the resistance of The Antifascists.

Alternatively Disney being Disney could aggravate the tensions leading to sabotage attempts, vandalism and violence to Disney's Spanish colony. This conflict between Disney's security forces/employees and Spanish Anarchist/Communist groups could become part of local legend/the story of the park and have commemorative graffiti of such battles in unobtrusive places.

Mort

I bought and started reading MORT based off the description of the film. I'm about 130 pages in and loving it. The vivid, unique and illustrative similes in the description of Ankh-Morpork including such gems as;

"Ankh-Mopork is as full of life as an old cheese on a hot day, as loud as a curse in a cathedral, as bright as an oil slick, as colourful as a bruise and as full of activity, industry, bustle and sheer exuberant busyness as a dead dog on a termite mound."

make me think Orwell would have approve of Terry's writing.

A very special episode

As a person who works in a supermarket for about two months last year the toilet paper section was empty as many people bought stupid quantities of a normally abundant and cheap necessity leading to shops in my country needing to restrict the amount of 24 pack toilet paper bags you could buy to 1 and people (including children) going without. This panic buying occurs almost every time people think there is a problem real or not (y2k, christian predictions for armageddon, coronavirus, cyclones etc).

Could we have a member of the Disney staff see an event like this occur and include a 'very special episode' or media releases on the positives of long term planning/stockpiling of necessities by individuals, families, organisations, companies and governments in tv shows they put out. These benefits include being able to adapt to system shocks/supply chain breaks, resilience to foreign governments pressure , independence, cost savings with bulk purchases etc. This kind of thing is often loved by right wing people and could buy them back some goodwill with people concerned at the shifting cultural norms Disney's movies are exploring.

This could lead to cultural change to stop prepping/prepping culture being/being seen as a stupid thing gun nuts/conspiracy theorists get up to in the mountains and make some stockpiling of essential goods be a cultural norm and seen as a responsible and/or sensible precaution in a rudderless world.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of what's done with computers in this timeline even if I don't understand half the language.

Not after the book reviews they won't. If anything, it'll be James Doohan's Flight Engineer, and only as a DTV.
To be honest, I doubt both of these are going to be adapted for WDSS, since they're obscure and not that critically acclaimed compared to the media that they have released like Maus or Grave of the Fireflies. I generally think it would be a huge waste if Disney adapted them compared to actual mainstream sci-fi/dystopia such as The Time Machine, Brave New World, or 1984 and cult classic hits like Neuromancer.

Yea Roy Disney hated that building iOTL, at least according to Disney War, and it became symbolic to Roy of Eisner's attempts to supplant Walt with himself and Walt's vision with his own.
Michael Eisner's absence is not only etched in Disney's filmography, but also in physical form as well with the Studios. I guess we'll see even more of the effects that the Disney Triumvirate + Roy will have on the company in the future, which seems to be very positive relative to OTL.

Both films are still in Production Hell as it were, like with The Snow Queen and Don Quixote.
Really?! Wow, it's that bad.

We might not even get to see TLM and BATB in this timeline, which is absolutely wild. Although, it's possible that they could make the films in the late 90s or the 2000s once production is satisfactory for both films. After all, they did make The Snow Queen and Rapunzel in the form of Frozen and Tangled OTL.

It honestly makes the absence of Ashman even more prominent as there's no way he'll provide any input or assistance towards both films as he did in our timeline. OTL TLM and BATB are truly dead in this case.

Could there be a way of defusing the tension between the Spanish Anarchists and Communists and Disney. Being Communists and Anarchists they are both pretty opposed on moral principles to Disney but maybe Disney make a concession to appease them/stop them causing problems. This could include donations to historical sites of The Spanish Civil War and the resistance of The Antifascists.
Disney is better off not making concessions to the Anarchists/Communists. They're a small, albeit vocal minority, compared to the majority of the Spanish people, who would be fairly ecstatic about a Spanish Disneyland. Plus, their objective is to kick Disney off from Spain, so no matter what they do to appease them, they won't budge. If it was something like representatives from Galicia or the Basque Country that were protesting then they would make concessions to assuage them but not the commies.

@Geekhis Khan What are the current reactions of Disneyland Valencia from the French public? I know that French businessmen are hammering at Mitterand for not bringing the European park to their country but I wonder whether the French public feel the same way, ironically enough, or if they are relieved that Disney did not arrive, perhaps even sneering at the Spanish for allowing the Americans to set up shop and defile their culture.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Spanish anarchists/communists and Disney

Alternatively Disney being Disney could aggravate the tensions leading to sabotage attempts, vandalism and violence to Disney's Spanish colony. This conflict between Disney's security forces/employees and Spanish Anarchist/Communist groups could become part of local legend/the story of the park and have commemorative graffiti of such battles in unobtrusive places.

Mort

I bought and started reading MORT based off the description of the film. I'm about 130 pages in and loving it. The vivid, unique and illustrative similes in the description of Ankh-Morpork including such gems as;

"Ankh-Mopork is as full of life as an old cheese on a hot day, as loud as a curse in a cathedral, as bright as an oil slick, as colourful as a bruise and as full of activity, industry, bustle and sheer exuberant busyness as a dead dog on a termite mound."

make me think Orwell would have approve of Terry's writing.

A very special episode

As a person who works in a supermarket for about two months last year the toilet paper section was empty as many people bought stupid quantities of a normally abundant and cheap necessity leading to shops in my country needing to restrict the amount of 24 pack toilet paper bags you could buy to 1 and people (including children) going without. This panic buying occurs almost every time people think there is a problem real or not (y2k, christian predictions for armageddon, coronavirus, cyclones etc).

Could we have a member of the Disney staff see an event like this occur and include a 'very special episode' or media releases on the positives of long term planning/stockpiling of necessities by individuals, families, organisations, companies and governments in tv shows they put out. These benefits include being able to adapt to system shocks/supply chain breaks, resilience to foreign governments pressure , independence, cost savings with bulk purchases etc. This kind of thing is often loved by right wing people and could buy them back some goodwill with people concerned at the shifting cultural norms Disney's movies are exploring.

This could lead to cultural change to stop prepping/prepping culture being/being seen as a stupid thing gun nuts/conspiracy theorists get up to in the mountains and make some stockpiling of essential goods be a cultural norm and seen as a responsible and/or sensible precaution in a rudderless world.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of what's done with computers in this timeline even if I don't understand half the language.
You WILL NOT drag current politics into this Forum.

Chat exists for a reason.

include a 'very special episode' or media releases on the positives of long term planning/stockpiling
Something ant and the grasshopper like?
But for a positive message you'd want the ants to help the grasshopper at the end, then skip ahead to the next disaster to show the grasshopper finding a way to contribute.

The ant and grasshopper don't need to be literal, any characters known for hoarding and living day to day would do.
Scrooge McDuck for the hoarder maybe?

But for a positive message you'd want the ants to help the grasshopper at the end, then skip ahead to the next disaster to show the grasshopper finding a way to contribute.

The ant and grasshopper don't need to be literal, any characters known for hoarding and living day to day would do.
Scrooge McDuck for the hoarder maybe?
For a suggestion like this, why not have the Doozers from Waggle Rock as the workers? Pairing a classic Disney character with a new age Muppet creation worked impeccably well for Gonzo and Goofy's Galactic Golf, as well as having Mickey and Kermit as a comedic duo of sorts in various adventures. Or is that Goofy and Gonzo's Galactic Golf?

A very special episode

I did not want to respond to this, but I would like to iterate that Disney will most likely NOT make a short or ad based on this kind of thinking. The only surefire event that would happen is Y2K, and I doubt Jim and Disney is going to spend money on something steeped in conspiracy theories and frankly insane doomsday prepper hysteria. If something like COVID happens in the U.S., it happens, and Disney will react accordingly to keep up with the current standards being put out by the CDC or help with vaccination efforts, but I really don't like when people want some kind of cultural change ITTL because of current politics.

A more realistic proposition is Disney helping with disaster prevention for predictable events like hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, and tsunamis by promoting safety protocols and long-term planning, which could happen as Disney could gain goodwill from California, Florida, and Japan by doing these ads for the people, which is what Jim could've proposed to the company. Plus it could coincide with any environmental push that Disney might be doing for the future (Creatureworks Smokey, anyone?).

Sure, why not?

Perhaps there are two kinds of grasshoppers. One is the "Haha lookat the paranoid freak go stockpiling!" and the other is more reasonable and kind but is reacting along the limes of "Care to provide evidence of your little disaster you're going on about?"

On the other hand (and perhaps taking a cue from @Denliner ), we could have Disney put out a work about refuting not only doomsday preppers, but believing conspiracies in general, where the disaster never happens/is brought upon by our protag's actions.

Perhaps there are two kinds of grasshoppers. One is the "Haha lookat the paranoid freak go stockpiling!" and the other is more reasonable and kind but is reacting along the limes of "Care to provide evidence of your little disaster you're going on about?"
On the other hand (and perhaps taking a cue from @Denliner ), we could have Disney put out a work about refuting not only doomsday preppers, but believing conspiracies in general, where the disaster never happens/is brought upon by our protag's actions.
This honestly sounds like good content for Sunset Puppetry instead when Y2K comes around.

This actually sounds like two separate ideas. Sunset can do the doomsday angle and Disney can do a general "be prepared for emergencies" thing.
Yes, this is the most likely approach to what Disney could do when it comes to this topic. I would love the latter to happen since Disney could make a very positive impact for California and Florida with hurricane/earthquake preparedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.