Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if she served some prison time Koreatown may not have been targeted during the LA riots.
But that seems unlikely considering there's nothing that would change her light sentence. Plus Koreatown was significantly damaged by the rioters ITTL, so this event might not have been butterflied away.

What internet? The internet doesn't come into common use until 1993-94:
I see. Still, it's not like people are going to be blind over the riots and the circumstances behind them. People rallied over Civil Rights then and there's no reason why they wouldn't rally now.

Alternatively, consider this: Latasha Harlins' death might have been butterflied away in TTL, but another incident similar to it occurred, like with Rodney King...

Honestly not entirely, it's in part do to the fact that the 2nd Amendment allowed criminals to out gun law enforcement on almost all levels:
Well I could be wrong but the bastard did make DARE. And the people who made DARE were already saying it wasn't working. He didn't listen.

Gates was never patrolman in a car, he was not a cop on a foot beat. He was in administration his whole career. Out of the academy he went from chauffeuring Bill Parker to climbing the ranks in admin positions.

Gates as an Inspector approved John Nelson's idea for SWAT or would become SWAT. Gates pushed for CRASH as chief which would play a central role in the Rampart Scandal. The best thing he did was Special Order 40, making it so his officers didn't have to ask the immigration status of Hispanics, because he wanted people to actually report crimes. It was more self serving than liberally motivated.

Cocaine yes but not crack cocaine, or at least not at the time.
Well the point was Crack and Cocaine are the same drug but Crack had much harsher sentencing. Much harsher.

Alternatively, consider this: Latasha Harlins' death might have been butterflied away in TTL, but another incident similar to it occurred, like with Rodney King...
Some other kid may have sadly been killed by a Korean shop owner and said owner was acquitted

I wonder if a version of the TV series Sliders will still be made in this timeline, perhaps one that isn’t messed with behind the scenes due to executive meddling and actually becomes a big hit.

Two Questions:
1 How did the Eagles get to the Super bowl that year considering they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs? If you're saying butterfly effect than that is fine.
2 Is In Living color a thing and do they still do their sketch against the Super bowl halftime show?

Well the point was Crack and Cocaine are the same drug but Crack had much harsher sentencing. Much harsher.
And that's where the racism comes in, crack being cheaper than cocaine is more likely to used by the poor, including inter city African-Americans.
I wonder if a version of the TV series Sliders will still be made in this timeline, perhaps one that isn’t messed with behind the scenes due to executive meddling and actually becomes a big hit.
I have suggested using the pilot for Doorways as a earlier replacement for Sliders:
1 How did the Eagles get to the Super bowl that year considering they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs?
Randall Cunningham isn't injured in Week 1?
2 Is In Living color a thing and do they still do their sketch against the Super bowl halftime show?
Probably yes on both.

Ok, lots of discussions on a background post, but yea, the LA Riots were a big deal with repercussions felt even today. Gates will take the fall here, but the big things limiting an earlier BLM are the lack of social media and the fact that even most Liberals at the time saw the riots as something wrong with "those people". Anti-crime legislation that led to "3 strikes" and mandatory minimums passed iOTL with broad bipartisan support. Will TTL be any different? Stay tuned.

By comparison 1991's early reckoning on Sexual Harassment was very true OTL as well, and nearly led to an earlier #MeToo type of reckoning, so it wouldn't have taken much to put things over the tipping point a generation sooner. iOTL it all kind of faded away in a haze of bad corporate VHS videos and NDAs.

I think you misunderstood the news text. Murdoch didn't sell News Corp completely he sold shares and accented to the Times Board. So he gained influence over the media not lose influence.
So that's probably not going to be a reality :(
"Time-Atlantic Corporation today announced the cash-and-stock acquisition of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation"

This says 'buy-out' to me not 'brought some shares' - sure Murdoch had joined the borad, but Time-Atlantic have brought his company.
OB has it right. Murdoch dealt with debt by merging into TAC. His company is a subsidiary of TAC and he's a major shareholder on their Board of Directors now and in charge of the news division. Let the fun begin.

As an Eagles fan, it's a little bittersweet seeing them make it to the SB but lose to Buffalo. I guess Randall Cunningham avoided that Week 1 injury that knocked him out for the season. Also, either butterflies got Darrell Green over to Philly instead of Washington, or the Eagles pulled off a hell of a trade!
Two Questions:
1 How did the Eagles get to the Super bowl that year considering they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs? If you're saying butterfly effect than that is fine.
1. Servo has it. Note Darrell Green is an Eagle (butterflies over a decade of draft changes) and Cunningham avoids an injury.
2. Yes, ILC exists. The biggest butterfly is that Jamie Foxx is the star of Yo Homes to Bel Aire (TTL's Fresh Prince of Bel Aire) and not a regular cast member, but will host at one point. And Jim Carey had some recognition from his role on Just Ducky prior to joining, so it's a breakout role for him, but not his first major TV role.

Note that I literally chose the Eagles at random, right off the top of my head. I figured with Buffalo going to four SBs in a row OTL that spoke to a good foundation built over years of carefully considered strategy rather than just happening to draft a couple of critical superstars, but the vagaries of the Draft and the behind the scenes horse trading and free agency can lead to a lot of changes over a decade. As such, Buffalo making a SB in the early '90s seemed plausible (at least in my limited understanding) while in the NFC it seemed to be "Someone from the NFC East who beats the Bills" iOTL, so a bit more of a luck-based system.

And no, I have no intention of getting into the details of Sports, but if anyone wants to guest-post PM me.

Worth remembering that Russia really likes their buffer zone. Having the Baltics join NATO is how you get strongmen like Vlad.
Just look at the topographical map of Europe and overlay it with the borders of the old Russian Empire c1915 and Russian Foreign Policy starts to make a lot of sense. I'm not the least bit shocked that Vlad would want to effectively satellite The Ukraine and Belarus. I'm much more surprised at how much he's willing to look the other way at China overtly moving into the Central Asian 'Stans. Keeping your Enemies Closer, or just a serious strategic blind spot built on Eurocentric Thinking?

So THAT'S why they took it out on Koreatown.
Some other kid may have sadly been killed by a Korean shop owner and said owner was acquitted
There was a long simmering distrust between the Black and Korean communities of LA at the time. There were even Hip Hop songs prior to the events threatening "disrespectful" Korean shops with arson. Butterflying a single death is not likely to change much.

Last edited:
There was a long simmering distrust between the Black and Korean communities of LA at the time. There were even Hip Hop songs prior to the events threatening "disrespectful" Korean shops with arson. Butterflying a single death is not likely to change much.
The death made the community tension increase. Fuel to the fire.

Huh I just realized that Pete Wilson is still a US Senator from California if he failed to get the Governorship.

That means hopefully means Prop 187, a ban on illegal alien children in schools isn't there. Also Wilson was anti-affirmative action, anti-diversity, and such he's a perfect replacement for Quayle if you want a horrible guy.

I kinda this gets picked up by Ted Turner and CBS, I kinda like it:
Arly Hanks (1993)

Edit: If nothing else we could use the characters for Southern Exposure.

Last edited:
Remembering Richard Hunt
Celebrating Disney Legend Richard Hunt
From Disney Magazine, January 1992

“This party is a blast!” said Goofy (or at least his Muppet version) about two seconds before Crazy Harry set off a massive explosion. Already by that point we’d seen Kermit and Piggy arguing over seating arrangements, a chorus line of monsters singing Broadway Standards, Junior Krog complaining to his parents that his “mouth feels all strange…like it’s moving slightly differently,” and Mark Hamill flirting ineffectually with Janice while Floyd laughed on the side and Animal loomed menacingly.

“The Force won’t save you from Animal, brother!” laughed Floyd.

hunt_scooter.jpg

(Image source “Fredonia.edu”)

It’s not the typical way to hold a wake for a lost friend, but then again, Jim Henson’s Muppets (and their performers) are hardly typical.

They were gathering to remember Oscar and Emmy winning Muppet Performer Richard Hunt, who gave life to such memorable characters as Scooter the Muppet Gofer, Janice of the Electric Mayhem band, Statler (one half of the heckling old men duo), and the outwardly scary but inwardly lovable monster Sweetums. And Hunt even had a hand (pun absolutely intended) in bringing the original Miss Piggy to life before handing the now-iconic character off to Frank Oz. He provided animatronic “waldo” performance on a variety of television and movie roles, including Junior Krog in the popular Waggle Rock, and even won an Oscar playing Benny in the acclaimed The Song of Susan.

FR_BTS_28.jpg

(Image source “Henson.com”)

Hunt, who passed on early this year after a long battle with AIDS[1], was born in the Bronx in 1951 to a family of performers. After a brief stint as a local weather man, Hunt began his Muppets career providing supporting Muppet performance for Sesame Street, commonly serving as the “right hand” for numerous Muppets, including Ernie. He’d ultimately become known for playing Sully the construction worker, Gladys the Cow, and the Right Half of the ever-bickering Two-Headed Monster. Fitting in almost immediately with the rest of the “wild and fun-loving” Muppets crew, Hunt truly hit his stride in England on The Muppet Show, introducing the world to many of his now-iconic characters, which will be taken over by his friends David Rudman and Steve Whitmire, among others.

“We deeply miss Richard,” said Jim Henson in the opening address. “He was one of the best of us, both as a performer and as a friend. Today we honor and remember him as only the Muppets team can.”

And when you’re a member of the Muppets crew, you will definitely be remembered in a big way. And the wake, a public event to be aired Sunday the 26th of January on The Wonderful World of Disney’s “A Salute to Richard Hunt”, is definitely BIG. And if you are expecting a sad and subtle remembrance of a lost friend then you’ll be surprised, for this is a star-studded gala event, a celebration of the life and accomplishments of a core member of the Muppets. There are songs that range from sweet to bittersweet to melancholy (but always thoughtful). There are clips of his “Best Moments”. There are guest star performances from such luminaries as Julie Andrews, Molly Ringwald, Freddie Mercury, Harry Belafonte, and Elton John.

And above all, there is the full wildness and whimsey of the Muppets on full display, with all of the Original Muppet Performers, even Jane Henson, there alongside the newer generation.

“Richard was my mentor and the man I aspired to be as a Muppet Performer,” said Kevin Clash. “He taught me not just how to be a Muppet Man, but to be a Mensch, as Bernie would say. A Muppet Mensch!” he laughed.

“How does one fill shoes as big as Sweetums’?” asked John Henson, Jim’s son, who has been filling in as the lovable monster for Richard as his health deteriorated. “How does one not?”

4b7eb61dc2ed9bcc8770bf6bbfeaf2306480d49f.jpg

(Image source “Jim Henson – The Muppet Master” on Tumbler)

And indeed, Hunt’s characters will live on in his memory, each making appearances at the event to joke and banter in self-aware, pun-plagued performances that highlight both what was great and unique about Hunt himself, and what remains great and beloved about the characters and the legacy that he leaves behind.

“Richard was always smiling and laughing,” remembered Frank Oz. “Even when the world dumped all over him, he was still a beacon of light.

“Even Statler and Waldorf laugh and sing along with Richard.”

tumblr_pcbq9rLUL01v230yto1_1280.jpg

(Image source “Jim Henson – The Muppet Master” on Tumbler)

Remember to tune in to “A Salute to Richard Hunt” on Sunday, January 26th at 8 PM (7 PM Central) on The Wonderful World of Disney on your CBS affiliate.

[1] Yes, they say the “A” word. No, they will not address his sexuality in 1992. Yes, some assholes in the media will protest. Yes, they will mostly be seen as assholes for doing so.

That sounds like a lovely, but bittersweet tribute to Mr Hunt. I’m sure some of the younger audience would just watch for songs/fun while some would understand more deeper tribute being paid to the man who brought so much to life.

RIP.

RIP Richard Hunt, you will be missed.

At least the memorial service & wake was relatively merry and full of laughs, even as the news of his passing loomed over everyone. Hopefully the Muppets continue to prosper and thrive even after losing a friend like him. :'(

RIP Richard Hunt

A Muppet wake is always a mix of fun and melancholy. At one moment you are laughing at the crazy antics and then at another you are crying your eyes out because Big Bird is singing "It's not easy being green".

I wonder if we will have a similar tearjerker moment here.

Speaking of Big Bird, was the Sesame Street crew allowed to show up or are there some legal problems since this will be televised?

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Ah, the famed Muppet Wake. I wonder if it'll become something of an industry tradition, regardless of studio, for particular luminaries to be honored in a similar way by the people they worked with/inspired, or if it'll remain 'a Muppet (or Disney) thing'.

Now that the idea's been introduced to my head, I'm honestly going to be faintly disappointed if this thread doesn't end with a simulcast event where every Disney Park and Town has a singalong of 'The Rainbow Connection' for the Henson Wake.

Food for thought: George Lucas does Red Tails in 1992, like he originally planned? Denzel and Fishburne in it, practical effects...it'd only be competing with Lethal Weapon 3 and Patriot Games for a big box office flick that year...

Ah, the famed Muppet Wake. I wonder if it'll become something of an industry tradition, regardless of studio, for particular luminaries to be honored in a similar way by the people they worked with/inspired, or if it'll remain 'a Muppet (or Disney) thing'.

Now that the idea's been introduced to my head, I'm honestly going to be faintly disappointed if this thread doesn't end with a simulcast event where every Disney Park and Town has a singalong of 'The Rainbow Connection' for the Henson Wake.
Frankly, it should end with 'Just One Person'

Food for thought: George Lucas does Red Tails in 1992, like he originally planned? Denzel and Fishburne in it, practical effects...it'd only be competing with Lethal Weapon 3 and Patriot Games for a big box office flick that year...
I actually think this is possible since George Lucas could direct and film this movie shortly after Shadow Moon. A 1992 or 1993 release seems very feasible to me.

It's probably going to remain a Muppet thing, as people like Roy E. Disney or Roy Miller are likely to get more standard funeral services instead of the bombastic memorial events.

I'd prefer if he was still alive by the end of it, but that would be appropriate for ol' Jim if he ever croaked by the late 2010s or 2020s.

Status
Not open for further replies.