Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I could see things getting nastier ITTL as a result of the scandals in Hollywood and the Catholic Church in American society, but not enough that the majority of U.S. government or society is going to agree on restricting LGBT rights federally, which is the only thing that's going to set things back for LGBT rights at a more substantial level, although states might be an entirely different story.
Sometimes it only takes a significant number of states to eventually change federal law, we're slowly seeing that today with the legalization of marijuana.
eh what? i guess i don't understand, a male priest who is into boys, is just as much gay, so why would that priest not be considered lgbtq?
Because those priests will claim that they're not gay and society will agree.

When Kevin Spacey tried to divert attention from the accusations against him, he came out as gay--this made the LGBT community pissed, to put it mildly, since All Gays Are Pedophiles is one trope they really hate...

There was an episode of Different Strokes called "The Bicycle Man" where, after the family finds out that Arnold (Gary Coleman) and Dudley (Shavar Ross from Friday the 13th: A New Beginning) were preyed upon by the titular character (played by Gordon Jump--Mr. Carlson from WKRP In Cincinnati, of all people; talk about a very different role), Willis says that Mr. Horton (the character's name) must have been gay (a common assumption at that time--the episode was made in 1983). The detective talking to them immediately says that there's a big world of difference between gays and pedophiles which, for 1983, was pretty bold to make on TV. The episode also had the molester be someone Arnold and Dudley knew and considered a friend, who gradually manipulated them towards being molested, rather than what was depicted on TV at that time (and it showed the grooming process that goes on before the act)...

yeah remember the episode...it was unsettling

Sometimes it only takes a significant number of states to eventually change federal law, we're slowly seeing that today with the legalization of marijuana.
Yes, that is true (also happened for same-sex marriage), but it would be harder for the U.S. to enact against SSM at a federal level since debates over violating states rights or personal freedoms are inevitably going to arise from Democrat or even Republican camps.

I just find it hard to believe that LGBT rights are going to recede at a fundamental level in the United States ITTL, even as a result of this pedophilia crackdown. The 90s were notoriously homophobic and so were the 2000s, and yet states rarely approved of constitutional bans on SSM (only Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, California, Florida, and Arizona by the end of 2015, one of which was overturned), DOMA and DADT were consistently criticized, and the Federal Marriage Amendment continuously was shot down. Meanwhile shows about LGBT people in the 90s were moderately popular and paved the way for future shows about LGBT experiences.

ITTL 90s might be more violent over LGBT issues as anti-LGBT and LGBT advocacy groups would fight it out amidst a rise in hate crimes, but a complete setback for LGBT rights across the entire country seems unlikely, in my opinion.

Last edited:
ITTL 90s might be more violent over LGBT issues as anti-LGBT and LGBT advocacy groups would fight it out amidst a rise in hate crimes, but a complete setback for LGBT rights across the entire country seems unlikely, in my opinion.
[Immediately imagines the butterflies this could bring]

I just find it hard to believe that LGBT rights are going to recede at a fundamental level in the United States ITTL, even as a result of this pedophilia crackdown. The 90s were notoriously homophobic and so were the 2000s, and yet states rarely approved of constitutional bans on SSM (only Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, California, Florida, and Arizona by the end of 2015, one of which was overturned), DOMA and DADT were consistently criticized, and the Federal Marriage Amendment continuously was shot down. Meanwhile shows about LGBT people in the 90s were moderately popular and paved the way for future shows about LGBT experiences.

To be fair compared to today the 1990s do seem repressive but 30 years earlier LGB people were arrested just for being gay and LGBTQ+ matters weren't even discussed privately outside of LGBTQ+ circles.

To be fair compared to today the 1990s do seem repressive but 30 years earlier LGB people were arrested just for being gay and LGBTQ+ matters weren't even discussed privately outside of LGBTQ+ circles.
True, but the late 80s and 90s are what people are living through ITTL, and it was pretty repressive compared to the 2010s and now.

Not gonna lie, I won't be surprised if Disney's Gay Days are going to be even more populated in WDW, Disneyland, and DisneySea than OTL due to the rise in hate crime and the need to establish a safe space for the LGBTQ community during the early 90s.

Last edited:
Or maybe it'll be worse than Matthew Shepard--I'm thinking of a Pulse-like incident (remember, Eric Rudolph, the Centennial Olympic Park bomber (1), bombed a lesbian bar, as well)...

(1) Interestingly, Athens and Toronto were both in the running to get the 1996 Olympics (Athens in part because it would be the centennial Olympics--the first had been held in Athens in 1896--and Toronto because the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics had been successful, but the Greek bid was considered poorly prepared and arrogant (according to Wikipedia, the Athens bid chairman said that the Olympics should be awarded to them because of "its historical right due to history"; this may not have helped Athens' chances)), and Melbourne, Australia was also in the running. BTW, other U.S. cities that were in the running were Nashville, San Francisco, and Minneapolis, of all cities. Maybe butterflies affect that in TTL...

PNWKing

Banned
I'm worried that the backlash against gay people as a result of these sex scandals is going to end in a mass shooting. And if after that incident Jim Henson talks about his gay friends on TV. For that matter, would it be possible for Jim and Fred Rogers (just calling him by his first name feels almost blasphemous) to discuss their experiences with gay coworkers after this shooting. Heck, Mr. Rogers actually said in an interview that he didn't consider himself straight or gay (in the sort of publications where you can get away with asking beloved icons questions like that), so he could show the bisexual community that the backlash is going to end soon.

Heck, Mr. Rogers actually said in an interview that he didn't consider himself straight or gay (in the sort of publications where you can get away with asking beloved icons questions like that), so he could show the bisexual community that the backlash is going to end soon.
Apparently he implied that he himself was bisexual?

Or maybe it'll be worse than Matthew Shepard--I'm thinking of a Pulse-like incident (remember, Eric Rudolph, the Centennial Olympic Park bomber (1), bombed a lesbian bar, as well)...
I'm worried that the backlash against gay people as a result of these sex scandals is going to end in a mass shooting.
Seems unlikely in my opinion. In a time before 9/11 and even Columbine, mass shootings and terrorism were significantly rarer for the 90s, so it'd be really out of place when an attack like Pulse just happens right out of the blue.

But if it does happen....my god.

Disney openly championing gay rights under Henson and the rest of the Disney execs seems likely during the anti-LGBT hate crime wave of the early 90s, which is a welcome sight for this dark time, but it'll be interesting to see if we'll see other creatives rise up and give support to their LGBT co-workers besides Henson and Rogers.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely in my opinion. In a time before 9/11 and even Columbine, mass shootings and terrorism were significantly rarer for the 90s, so it'd be really out of place when an attack like Pulse just happens right out of the blue since the attack was motivated by homophobia and it was directly targeted at members of that community, not just individuals.

But if it does happen....my god.

Disney openly championing gay rights under Henson and the rest of the Disney execs seems likely during the anti-LGBT hate crime wave of the early 90s, which is a welcome sight for this dark time, but it'll be interesting to see if we'll see other creatives rise up and give support to their LGBT co-workers besides Henson and Rogers.
Doesn't have to be a mass shooting--I'm thinking of Rudolph bombing that lesbian bar, or something like the UpStairs Lounge arson attack in New Orleans in 1973 (here's a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UpStairs_Lounge_arson_attack)...

I wonder if the Luby's shooting still happens ITTL (here's another link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting)...

Last edited:
Yep, that was a rough one. There's no getting around the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Tomorrow's post will be much lighter, I promise.

There was an episode of Different Strokes called "The Bicycle Man"
I remember that one, and another "Very Special Episode" of Webster. Ironically, it was somewhat on par for 1983. The late '70s and early '80s were ironically moving towards greater LGBTQ awareness with the androgyny of style and many openly (or nearly openly) gay or bisexual musicians. Then AIDS came around and gave people a physical manifestation of their hate to lay on the feet of the victims. Some culture war pushback was inevitable, but AIDS probably set LGBTQ rights back a decade.

I wouldn't put it so simply since Richard Hunt was playing the main supporting character and had a sympathetic light to him throughout the entire movie, showing that the AIDS crisis was affecting everyone and gay people shouldn't be vilified for the HIV epidemic. For those reasons alone, I'd say that the film has garnered sympathy for the LGBT community, even if it wasn't explicitly about a gay man.
This is the case. While the main character is a straight woman, it does prominently show gay men (like Hunt) as innocent victims. It was rather progressive for its time.

I do wonder what the long term implications of JAL 123 will be on the move to privatize Japan Airlines? I do have some interesting ideas but I need to gather them in regards for Japan.
I have no idea. Feel free to PM me.

Also, what will happen of The Rescuers Down Under? Just asking here. Will we have to stay tuned?
I hear Cosy was nearly australian aboriginal. Maybe that could happen?
Well, the proximal events that led to the film, e.g. an independent Pixar looking to explore digital animation and angling for a partnership with Disney, aren't here. The Rescuers exist ass a TV show, though, so there's always the possibility for a lower-budget film-based-on-the-TV show.

Well, there will be some notable incidents, and this will all play into ongoing Culture War stuff, but don't expect anything really super massive. Largely there will be vandalism, assault, perhaps a couple of newsworthy murders and arsons, and, yea, probably a Mathew Shepherd like incident, but no Kristallnacht type scenarios. Largely this is playing into the larger ongoing Culture War.

@Geekhis Khan -- Have some ideas for DC Comics' TV shows. If you don't mind, how could we discuss them?
Feel free to PM me.

Well, the proximal events that led to the film, e.g. an independent Pixar looking to explore digital animation and angling for a partnership with Disney, aren't here. The Rescuers exist ass a TV show, though, so there's always the possibility for a lower-budget film-based-on-the-TV show.
Well, if a film should be made based on the show, I hope it's relatively the same as Down Under.

Well, if a film should be made based on the show, I hope it's relatively the same as Down Under.
It could be a made-for-TV special perhaps with a limited theatrical release. Don't expect the animation to be anywhere near as good as OTL's Pixar production, but more like Duck Tales: Treasure of the Magic Lamp.

Me too.
[Starts wondering what roles the actors of RDO will take in its absence]

Status
Not open for further replies.