Can we see how africa and the colonies there have developed.
I would also find it interesting to have a look at Southeast Asia, Thailand and the colonies there.

Not quite sure what you are asking.

We left off Africa following the Great Famine, closing date in 1937 if I recall correctly. Things haven't changed too much in the period up till 1939 (as ever this is subject to change should I get a good idea when I pick the TL up again), so if you go back to Chapter 34.1 you should be able to get as up to date on Africa as I have.

Southeast Asia is the same - covered up till 1937-1938. There is a lot happening in that theatre, so everything is constantly changing there, but it should be detailed in chapter Chapter 39.3-5. Nothing more up to date than that. Covers Indochina, Malaya, Burma, India, Thailand and the DEI.

Do let me know if you meant something else.

I am sorry about how I completely fell off with writing on the timeline. I got a new job in june which has swallowed up a ton of my time and energy, preparing to move into a new apartment, and what little creative energy I do have I try to spend on my book. I have been thinking about what direction to take the timeline when things settle down a bit though.

Thanks for the answer.
I did not read about Siam, so my fault.
But in terms of Africa, we only have the British and French view and what's happening with Ethiopia.

My question is more related to how the colonies are doing, especially the Germans.
Do they become profitable, what happens to the infrastructure. Are more Germans or Europeans settling here altogether.

Also what happened to the Askari soldiers. Do they get German citizenship, how do the Germans in general view the African soldiers who fought for them. Is there the same ethnic tension in the German colonies as in South Africa.

Also what happens in Tsingtau. As I understand it, it is still part of Germany. Are we seeing here a reaction to a Red Japan and especially the disastrous battle between the Dominion fleet and the Japanese Navy.

This is the kind of thing I mean

Informational Eight: State of Germany's Colonies in Africa and Qingdao
Thanks for the answer.
I did not read about Siam, so my fault.
But in terms of Africa, we only have the British and French view and what's happening with Ethiopia.

My question is more related to how the colonies are doing, especially the Germans.
Do they become profitable, what happens to the infrastructure. Are more Germans or Europeans settling here altogether.

Also what happened to the Askari soldiers. Do they get German citizenship, how do the Germans in general view the African soldiers who fought for them. Is there the same ethnic tension in the German colonies as in South Africa.

Also what happens in Tsingtau. As I understand it, it is still part of Germany. Are we seeing here a reaction to a Red Japan and especially the disastrous battle between the Dominion fleet and the Japanese Navy.

This is the kind of thing I mean

Thank you for the clarification. I did get into the events in German Africa in Update 30.2 but you are right, it has been a while since I touched on them and the stuff you brought up hadn't been addressed. Firstly the quote, then I will get into your specific questions.

Germany's efforts in Africa would undergo a transformative development in the years following the end of the Great War. By concentrating their colonial ambitions on the Kamerun, German East Africa and German Somalia, and extending the term of the talented colonial administrator Wilhelm Heinrich Solf as Colonial Secretary, the Germans would prove themselves one of the most successful colonial power in Africa during the 20s and 30s. A liberal, detailed, culturally sensitive and capable administrator, Solf had originally distinguished himself as the first Governor of German Samoa - which he had turned into a model colony by including native traditions in his government programs and encouraging the development of a self-sufficient colony through education, economic development and the construction and expansion of a healthcare system staffed by trained natives. Appointed as Secretary of the German Colonial Office in 1911, Solf had gradually proven that he could take his small-scale Samoan experiment and expand it to a continent-wide endeavor. While Solf had been forced to focus his attentions elsewhere for the duration of the Great War, its end had allowed him to resume his duties and even expand them significantly. The Treaty of Copenhagen, and the colonial readjustments which resulted thereof, had allowed Solf to secure a greater share of the state finances and thereby expand the Colonial Office and its administrative apparatus in the colonies considerably. Having personally selected the governors in all three African colonies, Solf had turned an already strong grip on African affairs into an iron hand. Under his direction, the development of plantations and mines took on a fervent pace while rail tracks were laid down like never before and the recently conquered province of Katanga in western East Africa saw its immense mineral wealth rapidly exploited - swiftly growing into one of the greatest copper mining regions in the world. Throughout these efforts, the Germans would eschew the use of forced labor and instead sought to draw in native tribes as shareholders in the nearby economic developments - a particularly sharp departure from former practices in Kamerun, which had relied heavily on forced labor on their plantations and would require nearly a decade to fully wean itself off it. Schools were established on a wide basis and, in East Africa, the language of Swahili - which was spoken across numerous ethnic groups as a lingua franca - was included as a language of government alongside German. This was mirrored in German Somalia, where Somali was adopted as a second language of government, even as the administrative language shifted from Italian to German, while effective government control was steadily extended inland from the coast as the Somali Dervish movement collapsed in on itself in the post-Great War period. This resulted from the death of Mullah Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, the political, military and ideological leader of the movement, and a resultant struggle between his lieutenants - of which the one to emerge victorious in German Somalia, Haji Sudi, negotiated a settlement with the Germans using Ottoman intermediaries which saw the Dervishes allowed to follow their radical Sufi Islamism under German auspices. In contrast to the French, the Germans would closely monitor and control the use of League of Nations funding and administration within their colonies - ensuring that they buttressed Germany's own goals without usurping control of the administrative apparatus - although this resulted in a significantly lower level of investment by the League. The German investment in Africa would come to be known for its inclusive, collaborative and ultimately productive nature, following the Solf Doctrine of colonial administration. Ultimately, Solf's good work would see him pushed on to other things, with his appointment to Minister of Foreign Affairs under Karl Jarres, but the framework laid down by Solf and his handpicked successors would stand Germany in good stead in the decades to follow (14).
(14) Wilhelm Solf never really got a chance to implement his colonial policies IOTL, despite sitting as colonial secretary from 1911 till 1918. Here he gets to push forward following his own approach, which comes to characterize German colonial policy in general. While the British largely neglect their African possessions, and the French and Portuguese try to turn them into an extension of their metropoles, the German approach becomes more about a cooptation of their native populations. They work to make them self-sufficient and profitable by making them a shareholder in their own colonial ambitions and by creating systems based on pre-existing local norms, laws and traditions. Now, this process is by no means perfect and there are plenty of examples of exploitation in German Africa, but on the whole and as colonial policy they seek to make their colonial populations invest themselves in the colonies. It is worth noting that the Dervish revolt in British Somaliland continues until the late 1920s under new leadership (not Haji Sudi) when the British finally find the time to dispatch forces to crush the rebels - most ultimately fleeing over the border to Haji Sudi - settling down in German Somalia.

So to summarize, the German colonial policies make a sharp shift towards implementing many of Solf's policies, with a particular focus on building compromise and cooperation with the native population. While colonial endeavours continue to be an expensive activity, particularly the mining efforts in Katanga prove profitable and the economy in western and central Africa is growing. However, the Germans are also investing quite significantly in developing the region, particularly leaning into using the League of Nations as a spear-head organization to implement schooling, healthcare and educational efforts. The German colonies are probably among the better places to stay as an African, though not like there is much competition on that end. There are quite a number of German profit-seekers making the move to Katanga and Kamerun, but these really aren't settler colonies like South Africa. The Katanga and Great Lakes region in general is experiencing massive population growth and economic development, with rail lines running eastward towards the coast criss-crossing the region.

The Askari veterans have been settled down in GEA for the most part, with pensions, land grants and a number of special privileges, though not German citizenship. The Askaris are lionized and celebrated, with von Lettow-Vorbeck making a special effort to ensure their achievements are remembered and recognized. Askari regiments continue to be raised in GEA and the Germans have quite high hopes for them should they ever find themselves in need of them. The Askaris also form the backbone of pro-German sentiment in the colony, and both they and their descendants are seen as the most reliable subjects in the colony.

As for Qingdao, it is still part of Germany. The Germans have been making efforts to get in good with the Fengtian regime and have provided advisors and engineers particularly in the Fengtian northern industrial development. The concession sees heavy traffic from Germany and its governor regularly meets with representatives of the Fengtian administration. The rise of a Communist Japan does send quite a shock through the concession, and there is a week of panic after news of the naval battle arrives, but by and large the concession finds itself relying on the large defensive fortifications built to protect the port, and the Fengtian regime to their back. There isn't anything like a naval force there capable of truly troubling the Japanese, so not much more they can do.

Hope that answered your question better. :)

Very interesting.

Are the Germans trying to make the colonies more defensible so they can hold their own in the event of another world-wide war (or at least one in Europe and in Africa)?

Very interesting.

Are the Germans trying to make the colonies more defensible so they can hold their own in the event of another world-wide war (or at least one in Europe and in Africa)?
Hadn't thought about it too much, but considering just how successful that was in the first one I don't see why they wouldn't. Also plays into Solf's efforts to improve native relations and build up a base of support amongst the colonists. Of course we all know how swimmingly well colonies do once their inhabitants become educated, are given access to military training etc., but hey, who can say for sure it won't all be rainbows and sunshine? :p

Will Japan try to create their version of Buddhist association? Also what is Chinese role incase of Indian buddhism and ambedkar?
The Shogunate is a lot more willing to dabble in the mystical and spiritual than anything OTL (that is true of most of this world's political movements), so they will be looking for some way to harness those forces. How exactly they will do so, I don't know just yet though.

Honestly a lot of things are up in the air. The period I am covering (going to cover) is an incredibly diverse and multifaceted one with constant shifts and changes, so figuring out the exact butterflies and the like is only really doable when I am properly in a flow with the writing. So, short answer to your second question is I don't quite know just yet.

Hi, everyone! As @Zulfurium has already mentioned in his way-too-kind message, I will be helping out with the timeline. It was ADiJ that first pushed me out of lurker limbo on these forums, and before I set out to write original projects, I thought it would be wise to learn the trade with one of the best authors I've encountered over the years. You'll learn more about what exactly I will be writing about in the near future, although you can expect my supporting material to be mostly an in-depth look at some of the themes, political entities and actors at the very heart of the timeline. Now, you've all seen the teaser video, but under Zulfurium's guidance, I've created another small visual teaser - you can think of it as a taste of things to come :p without further ado, let me introduce you to the official flag of the Soviet Republic of Russia!

flagofsovietrussiaadibljug.png
You could have replaced the sickle with the a scythe you know, It would have balanced out the image.

Is there any reform movement incase of Hinduism? Maybe through ramkrishna mission?

What is Bose's relationship with RCCi? Is there any attempt by bose to influence RSS?

Any plans for RSS towards dalits?

Is there any reform movement incase of Hinduism? Maybe through ramkrishna mission?

What is Bose's relationship with RCCi? Is there any attempt by bose to influence RSS?

Any plans for RSS towards dalits?
For the first one, Hinduism isn't quite my strong suit, but I would expect some sort of religious impact considering the major changes occuring in South Asia during this period. What those will look like and the specific impact, I don't quite know at this point.

No real connection between Bose and the RCCI at this point - there are rather significant ideological differences between them after all, but they are all largely working in the same direction, if with different ideas of what their preferred end product would be.

The RSS are a powerful and influential faction at this point in the timeline, so Bose and others in the leadership will undoubtedly try to exert some kind of influence, just not quite settled on what or how at this point.

Not quite sure about the RSS attitude or plans for the Dalits here, so can't quite answer the last one.

What is impact of RCC in india? Any changes?
Honestly not sure, though I would expect the Catholics of India to be divided similarly to so many other places over how to react to all the shocks of the past decades. Largely, I think the Catholic community, like in so many other places ITTL, partially disengage from the international Catholic order and largely muddle their way through internally when possible. The RCC doesn't see much of a following, but there is also a general wariness towards the reactionary direction of the Papal Catholic Church.

I am (finally!) all caught up and I have to say this is, quite simply, my favorite TL I’ve read on this site. Wow. What a story! I’m incredibly impressed by the work, time, and labor of love you’ve put into this. Eagerly await whatever else is to come, this has served to inspire me to take my own work in a more longform direction and I think the denouement into the 1940s will be quite exciting

dcharles

Banned
I am (finally!) all caught up and I have to say this is, quite simply, my favorite TL I’ve read on this site. Wow. What a story! I’m incredibly impressed by the work, time, and labor of love you’ve put into this. Eagerly await whatever else is to come, this has served to inspire me to take my own work in a more longform direction and I think the denouement into the 1940s will be quite exciting

I wanted to second that. I'm not sure that I've commented on this thread in a while, but it is a truly impressive body of work that you've crafted here, @Zulfurium. You should be proud. Your parents, your kids, whoever's in your life--I hope they appreciate what you've made, and if they don't yet, I hope they do one day.

Also: paragraphs are your friend.

I wanted to second that. I'm not sure that I've commented on this thread in a while, but it is a truly impressive body of work that you've crafted here, @Zulfurium. You should be proud. Your parents, your kids, whoever's in your life--I hope they appreciate what you've made, and if they don't yet, I hope they do one day.

If this TL were published as a book I'd totally buy it.

Thank you for the kind words. I have actually started on a read through and edit of the timeline as prep for my planning of the timeline’s continuation. I am working full time now and I am moving into a new apartment on the first of march, so my time is significantly more constrained than earlier, but work has now restarted on the timeline.

Thank you! The timeline is a bit too daunting of a challenge for my parents and my brother hates reading with a passion, but I did get my mother to read the book I have been working on since the start of the current ADiJ hiatus. 33 chapters and 7 interludes are written out of a planned 45+10, but ran into a bit of writers block with the story so returning to ADiJ to give those particular creative juices time to percolate.

Re: Paragraphs, I know. I know. It has been pointed out a dozen times over, and I am finally doing something about it. If you go back and take a look through the updates up till midway through Update 14, you will see that my fucking bricks of text have been split up so as to hopefully be a lot more readable. Going to take some time to get through everything (I am a wordy fucker) but it is already under way.

If this TL were published as a book I'd totally buy it.
Well if that isn’t the loveliest thing g I have heard in a while, I don’t know what would be. Not sure how I would go about doing that, and there are probably a few places (particularly in the earliest parts of the TL) where it leans a bit too heavily up against my sources for me to do it. The whole art of showing how events gradually diverge from OTL usually involves getting into OTL to start with, and while it is all my writing, I lean a bit too heavily on the specific narratives of some sources to be completely comfortable publishing it for money.

Patreon maybe? Not really something I have thought about and not sure I would be able to maintain a schedule where I would be comfortable with people lying in to it.

Anyway, all this to say I really appreciate the sentiment, but will need to give some thought to what J would feel comfortable doing as regards monetization.

Thank you for the kind words. I have actually started on a read through and edit of the timeline as prep for my planning of the timeline’s continuation. I am working full time now and I am moving into a new apartment on the first of march, so my time is significantly more constrained than earlier, but work has now restarted on the timeline.

Thank you! The timeline is a bit too daunting of a challenge for my parents and my brother hates reading with a passion, but I did get my mother to read the book I have been working on since the start of the current ADiJ hiatus. 33 chapters and 7 interludes are written out of a planned 45+10, but ran into a bit of writers block with the story so returning to ADiJ to give those particular creative juices time to percolate.

Re: Paragraphs, I know. I know. It has been pointed out a dozen times over, and I am finally doing something about it. If you go back and take a look through the updates up till midway through Update 14, you will see that my fucking bricks of text have been split up so as to hopefully be a lot more readable. Going to take some time to get through everything (I am a wordy fucker) but it is already under way.

Well if that isn’t the loveliest thing g I have heard in a while, I don’t know what would be. Not sure how I would go about doing that, and there are probably a few places (particularly in the earliest parts of the TL) where it leans a bit too heavily up against my sources for me to do it. The whole art of showing how events gradually diverge from OTL usually involves getting into OTL to start with, and while it is all my writing, I lean a bit too heavily on the specific narratives of some sources to be completely comfortable publishing it for money.

Patreon maybe? Not really something I have thought about and not sure I would be able to maintain a schedule where I would be comfortable with people lying in to it.

Anyway, all this to say I really appreciate the sentiment, but will need to give some thought to what J would feel comfortable doing as regards monetization.
Patreon is always an option since it avoids some of the copyright issues you yourself describe

And I’m excited to hear there’s more to come! Looks like I timed my read-through perfectly, haha