When contrasted to the various other parts of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire, Hungary had emerged greatly weakened. Not only had the state lost its largest population center in the form of Vienna, it had lost its most fertile lands in Bohemia and Galicia, its largest naval base and dockyards in Trieste and the most dense and well developed parts of the old Empire. What was left, once you set aside the autonomous Croatia, was a poorly run, underdeveloped, landlocked half-of-a-country beholden to powerful aristocratic factions, possessing a powerful and violently revolutionary communist movement, struggling to form some sort of functioning state out of the devastating anarchy of the decade between the start of the Great War and the ignominious signing of the Treaty of Salzburg. When the two halves of the Austro-Hungarian Empire parted ways it fundamentally overturned the core economic patterns which had dominated the Hungarian economy for centuries. The ever-hungry maw of Vienna, which had sucked up immense amounts of agricultural resources in the Austro-Hungarian struggle to feed their capital's massive population, had disappeared alongside its immense bureaucratic apparatus, leaving behind a gaping hole in the demand for Hungarian agricultural goods which Budapest and the few other larger cities of Hungary were simply unable to match. Despite this overproduction, Hungarian agriculture also proved to be amongst the least developed in all of Europe - not even using modern fertilizing products, and possessed a formidable landed aristocracy which was willing to defend its own narrow rights at any cost. With the industrial heartlands of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire now lost to Germany and the independent Kingdom of Bohemia, the large-scale resource extraction efforts in Hungary also struggled to find an outlet - domestic Hungarian industry being far from sufficient to match the current levels of supply. When coupled with the large-scale dislocation and destruction of infrastructure which had resulted from the bitter civil war, it was little surprise to observers that Hungary's internal trade and transportation networks struggled to get the economy going.
Okay, so I'm still not to the end, so I haven't been able to read everything, but this... man, this has me feeling so much schadenfreude. The Hungarians insisted so much on their liberties, their special snowflake status, pushed so hard for independence and autonomy because they're "Magyars" and deserve it, etc, and this is what they're left with.

I fucking love it. Be careful what you wish for indeed.

Okay, so I'm still not to the end, so I haven't been able to read everything, but this... man, this has me feeling so much schadenfreude. The Hungarians insisted so much on their liberties, their special snowflake status, pushed so hard for independence and autonomy because they're "Magyars" and deserve it, etc, and this is what they're left with.

I fucking love it. Be careful what you wish for indeed.

Happy you enjoyed that spin on things. I am really looking forward to seeing what you think of everything when you get to the end of this.

How would the common people of ITTL Germany react to what became of their country IOTL? What would especially be their thoughts towards the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party and their military aggression in Europe eventually leading to global war?

How would the common people of ITTL Germany react to what became of their country IOTL? What would especially be their thoughts towards the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party and their military aggression in Europe eventually leading to global war?

Horror. Confusion. Uncertainty. They would find the whole situation hard to believe. The anti-semitism probably wouldn't be that big of an issue to them, but the complete abandonment of the monarchy, twisted joke of a republic in the form of Weimar and the successive horrific revolutions, coups and crises of the early 1920s in particular would probably leave many of them in utter shock. The Versailles Treaty would be viewed with exceptional loathing, particularly when held up in contrast to the "good" and "equitable" Copenhagen Treaty. In that particular regard, I don't actually think they would be all that surprised by a second global war given the outlines of the Versailles Treaty.

However, I think they would have very little sympathy, interest or trust in a system like that promoted by the Nazis. It would seem like something of a sick joke that the "magnificent" German Reich would have "degenerated" to the point of passing over power to "foreigners, druggies and madmen". So to summarize, I don't think they would be particularly surprised by the breakout of a second Great War as long as they knew the contents of the Versailles Treaty, or by a return to militarism, but they would be horrified at the incredible fall from grace Germany undertook during the 1920s, and view the Nazis as a sick joke of a replacement for Imperial Germany.

One thing to make clear is that while pacifism has held significant importance in a lot of countries ITTL, there is very much an awareness that the Soviets, French, Americans and British are all very much capable of fighting a war with Germany. I have a feeling that IOTL part of the reason pacifism and anti-war sentiment was able to become so widespread was the belief that the "evil" German Empire and its "lackeys" had been defeated - there was no evil left, and all was safe - so with the conviction that everything was safe, they were far more comfortable in turning towards pacifism on a wide scale. ITTL the was ended without a decisive defeat on either side and were never "snuffed out" as a threat, if that makes sense. There is no sense that either side really swept all enemies before them and are supreme in the world, rather peace was brought about out of exhaustion and an understanding that neither side was willing to back down entirely. Not sure if I am making myself clear, it is pretty late at night, so do let me know if there is something that doesn't make sense.

Horror. Confusion. Uncertainty. They would find the whole situation hard to believe. The anti-semitism probably wouldn't be that big of an issue to them, but the complete abandonment of the monarchy, twisted joke of a republic in the form of Weimar and the successive horrific revolutions, coups and crises of the early 1920s in particular would probably leave many of them in utter shock. The Versailles Treaty would be viewed with exceptional loathing, particularly when held up in contrast to the "good" and "equitable" Copenhagen Treaty. In that particular regard, I don't actually think they would be all that surprised by a second global war given the outlines of the Versailles Treaty.

However, I think they would have very little sympathy, interest or trust in a system like that promoted by the Nazis. It would seem like something of a sick joke that the "magnificent" German Reich would have "degenerated" to the point of passing over power to "foreigners, druggies and madmen". So to summarize, I don't think they would be particularly surprised by the breakout of a second Great War as long as they knew the contents of the Versailles Treaty, or by a return to militarism, but they would be horrified at the incredible fall from grace Germany undertook during the 1920s, and view the Nazis as a sick joke of a replacement for Imperial Germany.

One thing to make clear is that while pacifism has held significant importance in a lot of countries ITTL, there is very much an awareness that the Soviets, French, Americans and British are all very much capable of fighting a war with Germany. I have a feeling that IOTL part of the reason pacifism and anti-war sentiment was able to become so widespread was the belief that the "evil" German Empire and its "lackeys" had been defeated - there was no evil left, and all was safe - so with the conviction that everything was safe, they were far more comfortable in turning towards pacifism on a wide scale. ITTL the was ended without a decisive defeat on either side and were never "snuffed out" as a threat, if that makes sense. There is no sense that either side really swept all enemies before them and are supreme in the world, rather peace was brought about out of exhaustion and an understanding that neither side was willing to back down entirely. Not sure if I am making myself clear, it is pretty late at night, so do let me know if there is something that doesn't make sense.
Interesting , we now know how the ITTL Germans and Soviets would react to OTL. But I wonder how OTL 1930s Germans and Soviets would react to ITTL as well as how OTL 1930s France, USA, Britain and Japan react to OTL and vice versa given that the first three would see that the Entente were actually defeated even with the USA entering the war even though it was technically called a draw , the Central Powers still managed to keep their gains in the east, Alsace Lorraine is still German and the USA suffered immense losses compared to OTL and got the short end of the stick in the Copenhagen treaty. Not to mention Britain losing to a Red Japan in a decisive Naval battle as well as the downward spiral for both anglophone nations and the iron fisted yet effective presidency of Long in ITTL USA. Meanwhile France has undergone a miraculous economic recovery post great war even without Alsace Lorraine and is in an even stronger state militarily and economically compared to OTL.

Meanwhile ITTL Japan had a civil war with the Imperial family and loyalist being overthrown and exiled to Korea and forced to play as a second fiddle to China. That said, the reaction between OTL and ITTL China with one being a bunch of broken warlord states while the other has been unified, made a miraculous recovery and is now currrently one of the Great Powers in Asia would be interesting .

Last edited:
Interesting , we now know how the ITTL Germans and Soviets would react to OTL. But I wonder how OTL 1930s Germans and Soviets would react to ITTL as well as how OTL 1930s France, USA, Britain and Japan react to OTL and vice versa given that the first three would see that the Entente were actually defeated even with the USA entering the war even though it was technically called a draw , the Central Powers still managed to keep their gains in the east, Alsace Lorraine is still German and the USA suffered immense losses compared to OTL and got the short end of the stick in the Copenhagen treaty. Not to mention Britain losing to a Red Japan in a decisive Naval battle as well as the downward spiral for both anglophone nations and the iron fisted yet effective presidency of Long in ITTL USA. Meanwhile France has undergone a miraculous economic recovery post great war even without Alsace Lorraine and is in an even stronger state militarily and economically compared to OTL.

Meanwhile ITTL Japan had a civil war with the Imperial family and loyalist being overthrown and exiled to Korea and forced to play as a second fiddle to China. That said, the reaction between OTL and ITTL China with one being a bunch of broken warlord states while the other has been unified, made a miraculous recovery and is now currrently one of the Great Powers in Asia.

Well, I actually think the Soviets would be rather put out at what has come of the Soviet Republic ITTL - the sheer scale of unorthodoxy and abandonment of traditional marxist-leninist principles would be very hard for them to swallow. They would also be rather horrified at the failure to properly secure all of Russia and the over-reliance upon the Germans and Zollverein. Not quite sure how they would greet the shift towards Communism in Japan - think we again would see them have major issues with the unorthodox practices there. The general population would, however, probably yearn for the world of ADiJ, it is so much better for the average person than OTL was.

As for the Germans, I actually think the vast majority would view the TTL developments very positively, and it would likely only strengthen their loathing for the OTL post-Great War settlement. Hell, I think even most Nazis would view TTL as preferable to OTL, and for just about every other group in Germany it would definitely look like a better outcome. Just goes to show quite how bad things got for the Germans IOTL.

The French response would definitely be negative - the whole situation is a lot less positive on the surface than IOTL, and the collapse of the Third Republic, ongoing ulcer in Indochina and gradual shift towards Integralism would seem like a rather shocking and negative turn. While the underlying structures might be more stable, and I think French developments are likely to be on a more positive trajectory than IOTL, I think most OTL French would struggle to perceive those benefits for the far more obvious negatives.

For the British the TL has been an unmitigated disaster, and I think that perception would only be strengthened by the post-Great War developments. The Battle of the East China Sea would be viewed with shock and horror, and the constant cycle of crises and growing fissures within the Empire would provoke immense worry. There just is no way of avoiding the fact that TTL has not been particularly kind to the British Empire.

The Americans... I think would actually view it as a rather mixed bag. The delayed and greatly mitigated Depression would seem like some sort of miracle while the stunning rise of the KKK would be viewed with horror. If it is up to the point I left off ITTL, then I think they view President Long exceedingly positively - an alternate, more effective, version of FDR without a lot of the latter's unpopular policies. Now if this were five years later, I think they would be a lot more critical of President Long, but with what we have seen so far, there shouldn't be enough to really provoke worry. I think they would view the situation as the 1920s being more troubled, but that significantly better times were coming down the line. Very hopeful of the future, but kind of depressed about how things had gotten to the point they had.

I honestly think that everyone, on both sides of the political spectrum, would have been utterly shocked and more than a little distressed by how things have played out in Japan. In a lot of ways, I think the sort of destructive civil war fought ITTL would be the worst-case scenario in a lot of people's minds when seeing the situation in the 1930s Japan (not knowing what would come for the Empire of Japan with the Second World War IOTL). I think people would see Red Japan as a scary state both externally and internally - it is kind of the worst nightmare of most OTL Japanese elites during this period.

How did the synopsis of All Quiet on the Western Front differ from IOTL? Does Paul Baumer(the main protagonist) or any of the other main characters who died historically survive at the end of the novel into its sequel or not?

How did the synopsis of All Quiet on the Western Front differ from IOTL? Does Paul Baumer(the main protagonist) or any of the other main characters who died historically survive at the end of the novel into its sequel or not?

Honestly, I haven't actually sat down and read the novel, and last watched the movie in 9th grade, so don't really feel like I have a good enough grip on the story to answer this question. You are more than welcome to write up a synopsis of an alternate version of AQotWF and its sequel as an interlude or feature if this is something you are particularly interested in, would love to see it if you do. That said, I wouldn't want to change the main messages of the story too much, and I am unsure whether keeping Baumer alive or not would be too great of a shift in the message - tbh, think his death plays a very important role in getting across the pacifist and anti-militarist message of the novel. Just PM me with an outline if you want to write something up.

How do you think canon India and Pakistan view your timeline? And other states of world regarding asia?

Honestly not quite sure. Do you mean 1930s past India/Pakistan, or current India/Pakistan/Bangladesh?

If it is past, then I think it would be pretty mixed attitudes. On one hand, it looks like the struggle for independence is well under way, and freedom isn't far away. While the failure and marginalization of Gandhi would seem like a major blow, there are a lot of prominent and popular leaders who seem to be doing as good, if not a better, job of their task. While the violence is disappointing, as long as it doesn't spin out of control and ends up with a cohesive and united India I think they would see it as generally worth it. The Muslim League falling under the sway of the British is probably seen as a great disappointment, and the lack of a cohesive Pakistan "ideal" given the splintered nature of the muslim half of India would be viewed as a sad state of affairs. Nevertheless, the more open embrace of religious differences and reduced emphasis on secularism should be viewed positively by the Muslim side of OTL.

Now if we move to current states, I think the reaction is significantly more negative given that they know that Gandhi's methods could have worked. While there are developments which seem to be setting up for a more democratically responsive system, the violence, chaos and dangers of fragmentation given the greater number of factions involved should be a worrying tendency to many in India. For Pakistan the very fact that the concept of Pakistan has been splintered should be a very negative development, and I think the idea that the Afghans are licking their lips at the prospect of swallowing a good part of OTL Pakistan would be met with great opposition. As for Bangladesh, I think the response would be more mixed. On one hand the Bengal and Bengalis are playing a far greater and more central role in the struggle for Indian independence, but in the process Bengali nationalism has ended up being subsumed by the wider independence movement. While this has made the Bengal into the heartland of the independence movement, it also means that they seem unlikely to emerge as an independent force either within or outside of India when/if independence is secured.

Your last question is a bit too broad to really answer, I don't think the changes in South Asia are significant enough to draw major comment, but Japan/China/SEA are definitely able to draw comment. A lot depends on how people view OTL, but I do think that there are few who would begrudge the Chinese skipping their decades of bloody horror and getting off to a good start on the century instead. While the prospect of a powerful and influential China might seem daunting currently IOTL, I think OTL's 1930s states would have seen it as a very positive and "natural" development, if that makes sense. Japan's developments would be complete catnip for the Red Baiters, and fodder for a dozen different White Terrors/Red Scares.

It's always a mixed feeling to finally get to the latest update of an amazing TL. Because now I have to wait like everyone else :(

But this is truly one a magnificent TL in scope and scale. I love it.

It's always a mixed feeling to finally get to the latest update of an amazing TL. Because now I have to wait like everyone else :(

But this is truly one a magnificent TL in scope and scale. I love it.

Happy you enjoyed it. It has been a fun challenge to work on, particularly given how many different weird corners of history I have been able to learn about and dig into as part of this whole thing.

The notion of the majesty of dynastic rule would only be reinforced in the eyes of the Germans after seeing the clusterfuck of the Weimar Republic and how it gave rise to the Nazis.

Most German aristocrats had little love for Nazism: they only saw Hitler as a tool for glory and for getting rid of the pesky socialists, but many aristocrats, including the Kaiser, thought of Hitler as a deranged gangster. When Hitler was winning, they praised him, but when he lost, they tried to blow him up.

So how do you think ADiJ Zulfurium would view the OTL, in comparison to the one that he lives in? Let's put aside for now the horror he would feel that his reality was created by you for others entertainment :p

So how do you think ADiJ Zulfurium would view the OTL, in comparison to the one that he lives in? Let's put aside for now the horror he would feel that his reality was created by you for others entertainment :p
We would first need to determine whether ITTL Zulfurium has been butterflied away or not, and what he's doing with his life; and if he's still writing alternate history, what is he writing? I don't think he would write an OTL timeline, it is really not his style. There aren't nearly enough civil wars in OTL, ideology is boringly top-down and uniformed as much as possible, and people behave in such ridiculously implausible ways that he would never even consider - fiction has much higher standards of fact than reality, lmao. If he's still into AH writing, he might focus more on pre-1900 history, or perhaps write a timeline where the Great War never happens and is instead substituted by smaller regional wars? That would certainly feed into his interest for state systems breaking down and reforming in isolation from one another :D

Hell, I think even most Nazis would view TTL as preferable to OTL
Could you specify more on how you think OTL's Nazis would view TTL's Germany? Would they appreciate Germany's dominance of Europe, or would they view TTL's Imperial Germany as "too Jewish" and "decadent"?

We would first need to determine whether ITTL Zulfurium has been butterflied away or not, and what he's doing with his life; and if he's still writing alternate history, what is he writing? I don't think he would write an OTL timeline, it is really not his style. There aren't nearly enough civil wars in OTL, ideology is boringly top-down and uniformed as much as possible, and people behave in such ridiculously implausible ways that he would never even consider - fiction has much higher standards of fact than reality, lmao. If he's still into AH writing, he might focus more on pre-1900 history, or perhaps write a timeline where the Great War never happens and is instead substituted by smaller regional wars? That would certainly feed into his interest for state systems breaking down and reforming in isolation from one another :D
Very true, though Denmark itself has not gone through too many butterflies so far, from what he's revealed the Danes are doing slightly better economically and naturally have the prestige of hosting the peace talks that ended the Great War. But let's assume a ITTL Zulfurium that has for the most part the same life as our OTL Zulfurium, where he also writes ATL's on a ITTL equivalent of AH.com. I agree the odds that he would write a TL that is our OTL are quite microscopic, however remember all the civil wars and diverse ideologies of his TL are actually the norm as far as ITTL Zulfurium is concerned, and would likely be mundane to him. Who's the say our OTL ideologies wouldn't fascinate him? Perhaps ITTL Zulfurium would be interested in an America-wank TL where the US gets multiple lucky breaks and ends up dominating the post-war world a la OTL?

Look, when the readers of a TL start going into metaphysical theory, it's usually an indication that the author is about due to end his vacation and get cracking on the TL again :p