Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a direct link to the Enchanted Forest Goldwind2 mentioned.
The owners sold the park in 1988 to a development company for 4.5 million, the company didn't do anything with it until 1992 when some of it became a shopping center.
So they might be willing to flip it before then. The park sat closed but not disturbed from 1995 to 2005, so that's another window but Disney might want to snap it up before the shopping center is put in.

Currently watching this and I wondering if the ITTL version of The Black Cauldron still incorporated multiple books in it's story line or if there will sequels based on the other books of the The Chronicles of Prydain series?

Disney would have competition with Canada's Wonderland in Ontario and I don't think the Maritimes would have the population base for one, and Disney might had well build one in Boston given their closeness to New England. Montreal would be a good contender, though.
I agree that Montreal could be the most likely location for a Disneytown in Canada, due to its location on top of the unique mix of cultures Disney could represent in the theme park.

Agreed in theory. In practice, a change in management could easily value-engineer/min-max the Town & Land system so that we end up with a string of cheap DCAs and a WDW that effectively shuts out blue and white-collars.
That would be a possible conclusion, but I doubt that even this Disney could get away with that kind of scheme. Disney might end up being scalpers ITTL (sort of like OTL), but I don't think it will be that bad compared to what you're fearing. Blue and white collars still visit Disneyland/WDW fairly frequently IRL, even if the prices seem ridiculous (thanks Chapek!). Meanwhile people obviously recognize when Disney is doing stuff for the cheap (look at the poor reception of DCA when it opened). Kim Irvine said it best when she mentioned how you can't trick people when you give them a bad product. They know.

How about British Columbia.
Vancouver/British Columbia is a bad location if Disney plans to build a DT in Seattle, which is more likely.

Yes, all of that. Jack Linquist, Dick Nunis, and Bo Boyd are writing this up as we speak.
Glad to see you approve of the idea then. :evilsmile:

I have an inkling that John Stamos will have more than just a sign to flex on Disney fans and the general public.
Speaking of John Stamos...if Disneyland doesn't replace the iconic colored panel sign in the 90s...does this mean he owns this ITTL? Food for thought.
disneylandsign_three1974ww.jpg

(Image source: Yesterland)

Sure, but what's the unique theme here - grunge, coffee and totem poles?
I think Disney would do Adventureland with a Pacific Northwest flair. So yes, it'd be like fur trappers/traders, totem poles, plank houses, along with Native American-themed rides from the Chinook/Salish peoples.

So long as it's wilderness, whalers, polar explorers and colonial Victorian architecture, instead of... whatever this is.
All of that is more likely than the video linked. I'm not entirely sure what a Canadian/Quebecois Disneytown would be themed after. Maybe a hybrid English/French-themed Fantasyland? (Robin Hood/Beauty and the Beast anyone?)

Currently watching this and I wondering if the ITTL version of The Black Cauldron still incorporated multiple books in it's story line or if there will sequels based on the other books of the The Chronicles of Prydain series?
Depends on how adaptable the rest of the books are for future Disney films, but I reckon that since The Black Cauldron is more successful than OTL, Disney would be interested in making another film based on Prydain.

I agree that Montreal could be the most likely location for a Disneytown in Canada, due to its location on top of the unique mix of cultures Disney could represent in the theme park.
Also by putting it in Quebec could possible allow the inclusion of the works of Jules Verne a lot better than Disneyland Valencia.

I think Disney would do Adventureland with a Pacific Northwest flair. So yes, it'd be like fur trappers/traders, totem poles, plank houses, along with Native American-themed rides from the Chinook/Salish peoples.
Welp, RIP Nirvanaland. Solid concept (they could use Coast Salish folk spirits like Raven or Wolf or Thunderbird), but as mentioned above, TTL Disney'd need to be respectful with that approach.
All of that is more likely than the video linked. I'm not entirely sure what a Canadian/Quebecois Disneytown would be themed after. Maybe a hybrid English/French-themed Fantasyland? (Robin Hood/Beauty and the Beast anyone?)
Apologies, it just feels like 99% of media featuring Canada is Mounties, igloos, hockey, moose and lumberjacks. Gets irritating after a while.

Think they might double down on the colonial architecture - Le Château Frontenac and the forts, for example.
Come to think of it though, Quebec has that cultural protectionism going on. For example, Bill 101 makes it illegal to advertise English names; there was an (in)famous big row over having Wendy's and McDonald's ditch the apostrophe in order to set up shop. Disney may just call it quits if the Parti Quebecois send them a ''Ville de Disnie' or nothing" ultimatum.

PNWKing

Banned
What if another company like Virgin, Hasbro, ConAgra, Johnson & Johnson, Times-Mirror, Tribune, Ford, Mattel, McIlhenney (makers of Tabasco), 3M, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Nike, or Nestle started a new film studio under the names Hollywood Pictures, Great America Pictures, Eye of the Storm Pictures, or Fantasy Pictures?

Welp, RIP Nirvanaland. Solid concept (they could use Coast Salish folk spirits like Raven or Wolf or Thunderbird), but as mentioned above, TTL Disney'd need to be respectful with that approach.

Apologies, it just feels like 99% of media featuring Canada is Mounties, igloos, hockey, moose and lumberjacks. Gets irritating after a while.

Think they might double down on the colonial architecture - Le Château Frontenac and the forts, for example.
Come to think of it though, Quebec has that cultural protectionism going on. For example, Bill 101 makes it illegal to advertise English names; there was an (in)famous big row over having Wendy's and McDonald's ditch the apostrophe in order to set up shop. Disney may just call it quits if the Parti Quebecois send them a ''Ville de Disnie' or nothing" ultimatum.
I honestly doubt any grunge artists let alone Kurt Cobain would want to sell out that bad. The salish mythology idea is still cool, if done well.

Yeah, those stereotypes do bother me. We're practically the same as most americans, I tell you!

Also, I think too much regional theming may result in reactions and accusations of redundancy similar to DCA, even without Eisner.

Also, I think too much regional theming may result in reactions and accusations of redundancy similar to DCA, even without Eisner.
Also considering how much the Canadian government wants to protect their Canadian-ness, to the point of making laws dictating how Canadian their shows need to be, I can imagine them doing the same involving theme parks so as to protect theme parks like Canada's Wonderland.

Nirvanaland? Seattle has more stuff than just a grunge band. Just saying.

But yes, it's fairly likely Disney would integrate Chinook/Coast Salish culture pretty well into Disneytown Seattle if they decide to build it. Pacific Northwest culture is fairly iconic, but also underrepresented in American media, especially when it comes to Seattle. I reckon that it's possible that they could consult with Native chieftains and tribes for assistance if they want to be even more accurate in bringing Pacific Northwest mythology to life.

Well I did suggest something other than a Victorian-inspired Main Street for a Montreal Disneytown. Fantasyland might be able to capture the Canadian imagination more readily then just something they see along the street.

But regional theming could be a positive for Disney as well, but it really depends on how ITTL Disney approaches it. DCA's death knell was theming itself after modern California. Their original concepts had a more historical basis and a romanticized vision of what California was, which was a lot better than the hip and edgy DCA 1.0 we got, even if it was flawed. What Disney's doing for regional Disneytowns is tapping into the former than the latter.

Nirvanaland? Seattle has more stuff than just a grunge band. Just saying.

But yes, it's fairly likely Disney would integrate Chinook/Coast Salish culture pretty well into Disneytown Seattle if they decide to build it. Pacific Northwest culture is fairly iconic, but also underrepresented in American media, especially when it comes to Seattle. I reckon that it's possible that they could consult with Native chieftains and tribes for assistance if they want to be even more accurate in bringing Pacific Northwest mythology to life.
Hendrixland if you'd prefer - it's a hypothetical district like Tomorrowland or Frontierland.

They kinda-sorta brushed on it with Brother Bear (though it was more Inuit, if anything). Wouldn't mind if TTL goes for a deeper dive.
Well I did suggest something other than a Victorian-inspired Main Street for a Montreal Disneytown. Fantasyland might be able to capture the Canadian imagination more readily then just something they see along the street.
Chateauesque is technically Georgian/Victorian, but should be iconic enough:
622_97.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.