Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather fond of the mentally unstable unrequited love version of the Mad Hatter from BTAS. I think it'd be a perfect characterization for him. Contrasting his more sympathetic moments with bursts of jealous rage.

With Let's Be Real premiering today I wonder about Jim Henson doing an American version of Spitting Image. With both his work with Sunset Puppetry and his connections with PBS I could see Jim Henson, maybe under a pseudonym, producing a late night Spitting Image style show on PBS.

I suspect Blockbusters would have mucked up streaming had they taken the plunge. Most companies are very bad at big changes from what they started with, the list of transformations and re-inventions that failed is very long, the list of successes very short.

Companies have a culture, there is institutional knowledge and systems developed to make them successful at what they do. Start trying to do something else and it goes horribly wrong, all that stop being helpful and become barriers. Sure you can bring in new management, hire a lot of new staff, develop new ways of working, but at a certain point you are just starting a new company within the company and inviting a political infighting horror story.

What Blockbusters (and Kodak and countless others) should have done, by cold hard economic logic, was accept their market was dying, they couldn't transition to something else, and so just make as much cash as they could on the way down. But companies are run by people and who wants to work for a dying firm? Of course they are going to rage against it and try to save it, hence the many big changes that go wrong.
Yeah, they definitely mucked up when they tried Blockbuster Online. As for the Netflix partnership, I wonder if there's a possibility where we can say that Blockbuster acquired Netflix's mail service to complement their business model rather than use them as competition. Although, perhaps that's a bit unrealistic.
The secret to Netlix's success was logistical, really. They began as a DVD-by-mail service. Nothing amazing there, really. But they took advantage of new technologies in web-based tech and automated logistics and routing to make an old idea work significantly better than ever. The website, which was well designed and reliable, allowed users to easily set up accounts, payments, and browse and rank movies in the queue for what they wanted when and with how many disks. Then they combined QR reader tech on their mailers to allow the quick and automated sorting of the disks for shipping and receiving taking human error out of it, with a web-based database such that the system knew where every disk was and where it was going at any given time. Even their mailer was brilliant: cheap and light but still able to protect the disks in the mail rather well, and with a sweetheart deal with the Post Office so they shipped cheaply. The mailer was easily reversible so the customer could ship the disk back in the same mailer, postage paid, super-easy, with the QR readers on the outside now for automated routing back to the distro center. It was so damned easy and cheap (~$6 a month vs. around $3-4 per 2 nights at Blockbuster and all from your home) that Blockbuster would have been challenged even without widely available broadband and new storage tech permitting mass streaming.

The streaming actually came as a near afterthought to the Netflix DVD business, but they were small and agile enough to adapt well. Blockbuster maybe could have made it if, say, they allowed a small team of innovative employees to work a "side project" that ended up taking over and were able to shift their primary business model, but even then there would be a long and ugly process of closing all the stores and firing thousands of employees, not just at store locations but at corporate.

This is why companies diversify into new areas. Disneyland and WDW probably saved the Disney corporation after Walt died and the studio side never willingly left a corny "family friendly" 50s/60s formula behind. If it had only been Disney Studios they'd have likely never made it to 1984 to be potentially bought out! The parks gave them the buffer to painfully reshape the studios for a new era of viewer tastes and drive out inflexible middle management.

lol i see what you did there
Couldn't resist.

Willem Dafoe as Batman? A lot more people peg him as the Joker. Still interesting choice- should be able to pulls off Bruce and Bats.

Robin Williams will make an awesome Joker. Go for that Oscar Robin!

williams-joker-batman.jpg

Danny Elfman music? Interesting. Would add a certain quality to it.

Kevin Kline as Mayor Harvey Dent - at least that will be more consistent later on. Though Billy Dee as Two-Face would have been fantastic.

Glad it was still filmed at Pinewood Studios in England.

Raimi seems to made the Batman movie I would really want to watch! At least ITTL me got to see it- probably several times!

Great work @Geekhis Khan
May steal that image. What's the source?

Danny Elfman did the music IOTL too. It's easy to forget that since the soaring horns and strings, while so perfect for the film, are so unlike his usual staccato bounce.

Well played, sir. Dafoe can be fantastically charming and understated when playing Bruce, then quietly menacing when playing Batman (cue the Patrick "He's just standing there...." meme). I know the line is 'all we need is a chin', but Batman's really all about the eyes, and Dafoe can stare you to death if the role calls for it!
I wonder what his Batman voice would be. Unlike Bale's gravelly 'I'm doing a Batman voice', I think Dafoe can just drop his voice an octave and make it chilling.
I now understand why Dafoe works as Batman. Batman's whole schtick is that he strikes fear into the hearts of criminals. Dafoe could do that in his sleep. I hope Raimi will be able to use Scarecrow since he'd be great at the psychedelic nightmare imagery associated with the character. I just had an idea for who to cast as Doctor Crane. Vincent Price. I know he's rather old but the Scarecrow isn't really a physical villain, to begin with. Plus it's more creative than suggesting Englund or Dourif. Or you could go with Jeffery Combs since he was the best Scarecrow voice actor in BTAS. Or Tim Curry.
3d96426642d8ad8087e416112cd358af.jpg

I would like to hear Bernie's thoughts Batman considering he declare superhero films dead after Superman III. Speaking of whom, the Man of Steel might see new life on the silver screen now that WB bought back the rights from the Salkinds.
He'll adapt and overcome. Besides, he'd tell you, Superhero movies were dead after SIII...at least until WB resurected them!

It won't matter if computers have beefed up GPUs, RAM, or CPUs ITTL, streaming will still be unviable when everyone is running 38k and 56k modems by the late 90s that offer a fraction of the minimum speeds needed to even run Netflix or Disney+ OTL.

As a further expansion to my previous posts about the MICKEY computer, I'd love to see if Jim Henson can plus CommuniCore to include internet cafes with MICKEY 2.0 computers and other gadgets that can help introduce the wonders of the Net to a wider audience by the mid 90s aside from Net tutorials.
Perhaps it'll provide a noticeable impact to computer literacy and support for the Internet at large.

Regardless, presenting new technological innovations of the era is the purpose of CommuniCore, right?

EDIT: I forgot that this was the age of dial-up internet.....imagine trying to stream in the late 90s/00s and then you get disconnected because of a phone. Yeah.....
Oh there will definitely be MICKEYSs at CommuniCore. And yes, there will be internet based things. The old Commodore display had an exhibit on modems and ARPANET/USENET.

I hate how they thought Bruce Campbell had a too Midwestern accent, and then cast Williem Dafoe who was born in Wisconsin.
I wondered if anyone would catch that! ;) Hypocrisy and special pleading, thy name is Hollywood.

With Let's Be Real premiering today I wonder about Jim Henson doing an American version of Spitting Image. With both his work with Sunset Puppetry and his connections with PBS I could see Jim Henson, maybe under a pseudonym, producing a late night Spitting Image style show on PBS.
Honestly, yea. Hell, there are former Muppet Show performers behind Spitting Image (e.g. Louise Gold) and Sunset Puppetry is just the avatar to conceal the Muppets involvement in something overtly political. I don't know why I didn't think of that, really.

hmmm idea for the future batman movies ittl - Robin could be female (maybe an orphaned daughter of crime victims, in the same fashion how batty-bruce became an orphan)?

I've enjoyed this timeline, but I do wish to offer some- hopefully constructive criticism. This is going directly against the grain of many of the responses here, and it's not meant to rain on anyone else's parade, just express my own tastes.

I do hope the focus shifts back to the corporate politics of Disney soon. It's not that these pop culture entries are badly written, but as you say they tend- as all pop culture timelines do- to be come a wishlist, post after post of descriptions of great movies that won't be seen.

Those can work when they're direct glimpses into the changed world, when they reflect upon how the world has changed- entries which suggest a changing culture with child actors, or how the computer revolution is coming to Hollywood slightly earlier, or what have you.

But all too often it's a film that didn't get made with a dream cast, and that's just not that interesting- it's a recitation of 'wouldn't it be awesome if they'd made x.'

Whereas the timeline was at its very best when it was about Jim and Bernie trying to change Hollywood- when we were seeing the complicated mess of human tension that was the ossified Disney corporation, the tension over the buyouts. And, if I may be so blunt, it was better when we were getting more shades to Jim Henson- an extraordinarily talented creator who was apparently a good and charismatic human being, but not a saint. It feels like of late Henson appears to save a life, to lift the spirits, to make things magically better.

That removes the tension from the narrative- why keep reading if the timeline is a list of films successfully made, parks successfully opened, every life changed for the better?

I don't mean to be too harsh- you've written a hell of a lot in a very short time, and in the main I think this is one of the strongest pieces of alternate history to deal with pop culture. But I feel that of late the dramatic air has gone out of it- it wasn't always so clear that things were going well, and the writing was stronger for it.

Feel free to disregard this, but frankly I respect the work too much not to try to engage with it.

I've enjoyed this timeline, but I do wish to offer some- hopefully constructive criticism. This is going directly against the grain of many of the responses here, and it's not meant to rain on anyone else's parade, just express my own tastes.

I do hope the focus shifts back to the corporate politics of Disney soon. It's not that these pop culture entries are badly written, but as you say they tend- as all pop culture timelines do- to be come a wishlist, post after post of descriptions of great movies that won't be seen.

Those can work when they're direct glimpses into the changed world, when they reflect upon how the world has changed- entries which suggest a changing culture with child actors, or how the computer revolution is coming to Hollywood slightly earlier, or what have you.

But all too often it's a film that didn't get made with a dream cast, and that's just not that interesting- it's a recitation of 'wouldn't it be awesome if they'd made x.'

Whereas the timeline was at its very best when it was about Jim and Bernie trying to change Hollywood- when we were seeing the complicated mess of human tension that was the ossified Disney corporation, the tension over the buyouts. And, if I may be so blunt, it was better when we were getting more shades to Jim Henson- an extraordinarily talented creator who was apparently a good and charismatic human being, but not a saint. It feels like of late Henson appears to save a life, to lift the spirits, to make things magically better.

That removes the tension from the narrative- why keep reading if the timeline is a list of films successfully made, parks successfully opened, every life changed for the better?

I don't mean to be too harsh- you've written a hell of a lot in a very short time, and in the main I think this is one of the strongest pieces of alternate history to deal with pop culture. But I feel that of late the dramatic air has gone out of it- it wasn't always so clear that things were going well, and the writing was stronger for it.

Feel free to disregard this, but frankly I respect the work too much not to try to engage with it.
No need to apologize, this is excellent and helpful input. If nobody says anything then how do I know what they want? And more of the intrigue and storyline is certainly coming. In fact, I've moved a bit of behind-the-scenes stuff involving the parks up to break up the mass of summer movies. Yes, you're spot on; the little requests are adding up and I need to stay more focused here. Just looking at the years 1988-89 in number of posts vs. the prior years tells the story all by itself!

marathag

Banned
Actually people had been playing with it since the early 90s, but the tech wasn't there yet.
Severe Tire Damage played live on the internet in 1993, from wikipedia.
RealPlayer wasn't around until 1995. nothing really before that to get video across the web, beyond FTP, and then play that thru Win 3.11, and that was AVI at the time, IIRC, and only 320 by 240 resolution withMedia Player, if you had the add in for Video for Windows

Hm...Seems to fix some of the problems of OTL's Batman, like the whole "Batman straight-up murdering people" thing. I'm hoping that this version of the Batman costume is something the actor can actually, ya know, move in? Seriously, not to go into a rant, but I never got why every cinematic version of Batman goes for the armored look. I feel like Batman should be a lightweight, acrobatic sort, whose fighting style leans more towards dodging blows using nimble athletics rather then tanking them, and, thus, doesn't use a lot of armor. Think, well, Spider-Man, appropriately enough.

The secret to Netlix's success was logistical, really. [snip]
This read was quite excellent, and no doubt that their effectiveness as a company, regardless of their failures, will allow them to survive whatever stuff the timeline throws at them. Now it's the question at whether Blockbuster are willing to adapt in the same manner as Netflix does, especially if they actually do a partnership deal with them in 2000.
Time will tell, I guess.

Oh there will definitely be MICKEYSs at CommuniCore. And yes, there will be internet based things. The old Commodore display had an exhibit on modems and ARPANET/USENET.
It's weird why CommuniCore didn't even offer an internet cafe (no mention of it anywhere), but the MICKEY computers should provide an easy segue into providing one, due to their accessibility and family-friendly focus (I doubt you can even download or search up raunchy content on there, so Disney can feel confident at providing one to guests).

Speaking of buses, I guess we can expect an early iteration of this for Disneyland/Port Disney, allowing a WDW version of it to happen later on, albeit for different reasons (Disneyland to link up with Port Disney while WDW picks up guests from the airport to their hotels since the monorail can transport guests across multiple theme parks)
Judging from the previous Marty Sklar post, they'd be a lot more fun and creative on the outside compared to their OTL counterparts though.

Don't underestimate hackers (or what ever name they acquire ITTL), if there is a will they will find a way.
Absolutely this. There will be people who will hack it just for the challenge of doing so, though I expect they will not find it much of a challenge to start with. Writing properly secure software is slow and difficult, so almost no-one bothers. I doubt things will be different ITTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.