Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord, the death toll from this plague is going to be staggering. Drakia and its allies truly have declared war on the entire world. Are the other leaders in the Pact aware of the insanity that Dart is about to unleash upon humanity? I imagine the more saner and pragmatic leaders must be freaking out, knowing how outmatched the Pact is and how fucked they are if they lose. I wonder if the Alliance for Democracy has any bioweapons that could match or even exceed the deadliness of the Stone Dogs Project.

Good lord, the death toll from this plague is going to be staggering. Drakia and its allies truly have declared war on the entire world. Are the other leaders in the Pact aware of the insanity that Dart is about to unleash upon humanity? I imagine the more saner and pragmatic leaders must be freaking out, knowing how outmatched the Pact is and how fucked they are if they lose. I wonder if the Alliance for Democracy has any bioweapons that could match or even exceed the deadliness of the Stone Dogs Project.
Didn't the Alliance use a powerful computer virus on the Domination in the books?

Didn't the Alliance use a powerful computer virus on the Domination in the books?
They did.

The development of such a virus would be worthy of it's own novel. An espionage arc to acquire samples of Drakia equipment and protocols, segueing into a high stakes infiltration to plant the virus in a strategic location; a science arc to identify vulnerabilities, game out the virus's plan of attack, segueing into a race against time to implement and ship it with last minute modifications; all running concurrent and playing off eachother, driven by a race against the benthic stirrings of the enemy's own war preparations, with all mankind at stake. 1980s cyberpunk with the driving force of a dark Cold War thriller and the carry-the-torch tragedy tone of Halo Reach.

I almost want to write this now, except I actually want to do it justice and I don't think I'm able.

Deleted member 96212

When the movement struck against Swadling it did so in the form of a junior officers’ coup aided by a trio of senior commanders who hoped to use the coup as a vehicle to take power themselves. Instead the Militarists turned on them once the Dictator-for-life was out of the way
Interlude: Stone Dogs

I see Drakia is going the way of WWII era Imperial Japan, complete with their own Unit 731. In light of the latter I have to ask, how many people have died as a result of Drakian human experimentation and bio-weapon tests in particular? Because I imagine the final tally is going to be depressingly huge.

I wonder if Drakia has managed to weaponize the HIV virus.

It'd be a very Rumsfeldia esque move if they did. I'm willing to bet HIV was butterflied away though.

Don't Fear the Reaper...

Standcomicspromo.jpg

EDIT: I'm reminded of the Wallies in The Anglo-American/Nazi War, actually. Light-leaning doctrine, heavy on air support, maybe airborne operations too. And Africa has a long coastline to protect.

I said it before but this last update really strengthens the parallel: Drakia is almost a TNO Burgundy on a continent wide scale.

Does TTL Drakia even have enough computerization to be severely damaged by such a computer virus?
Computers are useful in just about anything. They're not not going to be used.

The real question is, is there a high enough degree of networking that mass contagion can be achieved? Which the answer appears to be no, not really, the Pact seems to build for security first and connectivity second.

Edit: Probably a lot of disconnected intranetworks scattered here and there, not a monolithic Internet.

That doesn't make cyberwarfare useless, but it does subordinate it to 'conventional' espionage, because intranetwork access needs to be achieved on-location.

Last edited:
Also, why didn't The Alliance at least consider Striking during the period of transition? Just because you think a rattlesnake won't cross your fence doesn't mean you don't cut its head off.
I’m sure there were definitely people calling for a preemptive strike, but even in a best case scenario, where literally everything went in the Alliance’s favor, there would still likely be over 500 million deaths from a war breaking out between the Alliance for Democracy and the Pact. Faced with that kind of potential body count, it’s not that surprising that the Alliance tried to delay such a war for as long as possible.

They exterminate each other to the last man in accidentally synchronized preemptive strikes and the Situation inherits the cursed earth
Nah, it would be every single projectile fired is instantly intercepted by its counterpart, every virus fails to cause more then a cold, every computer virus just resetting the mainframe to factory settings etc ;)

Last edited:
So my thought was that if you need that kind of firepower you'll just call in an airstrike, and if you don't have air superiority then your armor is probably toast anyway.

Except you won't always get air superiority, and neither will your enemy, in cases where SAM and Triple-A systems render air support sporadic at best, coupled with the need to combat the Drakian and Allied Airforces you would want and need the mobility and firepower offered by mechanized and armored forces, especially in the sort of broad front engagements which will dominate the fighting along the Eastern front and Central Asia, as well as the Siberian wilderness.

Except you won't always get air superiority, and neither will your enemy, in cases where SAM and Triple-A systems render air support sporadic at best, coupled with the need to combat the Drakian and Allied Airforces you would want and need the mobility and firepower offered by mechanized and armored forces, especially in the sort of broad front engagements which will dominate the fighting along the Eastern front and Central Asia, as well as the Siberian wilderness.
Hmmm.

There was the Gulf War, which demonstrated the extreme effectiveness of then-current Western air forces in suppressing moderately advanced and networked air defense. This is probably where the notion that air superiority can be achieved solely from the air came from.

But that was with a large overmatch in both quality and quantity. We've never had opportunity to test those forces against a peer opponent, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.