Status
Not open for further replies.
Interlude: New America
Separated at Birth I Pic CCLXXVIII.jpg

Interlude: New America

“Ladies, gentlemen, and all others in the Allied Lunar Mandate and in Lunar orbit.

You have done the impossible.

Systems and stockpiles intended to last for two years have been made to last for more than four. The tireless efforts of our scientists, engineers, technicians, operators, and support staff- both civilian and military- have enabled us to increase our production of food and essential materials by more than half, and the efficiency of our recycling by more than a quarter. I have just spoken to the AIS-1184 team, and they confirm that the relocation of both their ship’s systems, and those systems originally intended for the Mars base, is proceeding ahead of schedule. It will be a while before they are operating at full capacity, and we still face a long journey of hardship, hunger, and sacrifice ahead of us.

Nevertheless, we have achieved a victory. The Allied Lunar Mandate is on track for full self-sufficiency by the middle of 1986.

We are here. We are not going away.

I know that this is not the victory that any of us hoped for. The victory we hoped for was of the Alliance over the Pact, of Democracy over Tyranny, of Freedom over Slavery, of the Final Triumph of Humanity over a Vision that reduces human beings to nothing more than insect-like castes valued solely for their labor.

Know that this victory is no less inevitable today than it was four years ago.

The Snakes have proclaimed that the Alliance for Democracy is beaten and the Final Society has come to rule the world for all eternity. The truth is that the Alliance for Democracy can never be beaten, not as long as you and I stand firm. The truth is that what the Snakes call the Final War is still being waged. The truth is that as long as any person can look into the night sky and see the Moon, still free and still fighting, still proclaiming our defiance to the universe, the Snakes can never rest easy in their beds.

The truth is that the Battle of the Tannhäuser Gate was not the end, or even the beginning of the end.

It is only the end of the beginning.

Our primary duty was to co-ordinate the fight against the enemy and authorize continued counterstrikes in the event that the Allied leadership on Earth was incapable of doing so- we have discharged that duty to the best of our ability. Now it falls to us to discharge our secondary duty; maintaining continuity of government for the Alliance and keeping the cause of Democracy alive even if the worst should come to pass.

In consultation with the civilian and military authorities of the Allied Lunar Mandate, I have decided that we cannot properly discharge our secondary duty as an autocracy or a military government. If we are to be beacon of hope for the oppressed peoples of the Earth, a constant reminder of what liberty and democracy look like, then we have no alternative but to do everything in our power to live up to those ideals.

To that end, acting in my authority as the highest-ranking Allied official still alive, active, and free, and wielding the full power of the General Assembly, I have determined that the Allied Lunar Mandate will be reorganized into the Republic of Selene- a country with the full rights and responsibilities of any other member of the Alliance for Democracy- and that elections will be held six months from today for a president and council to govern our new nation. As the responsibility of supervising these elections falls to my office I will not stand in any race, nor will I endorse any candidate or party. Once the new leadership has taken office, I will remain available to serve at their pleasure.

Our candidates, their arguments, the process of our election, and the results will all be broadcast to the Earth below us, so that anyone with a ham radio can get a reminder of what democracy look like in action. The Snakes will not be able to pretend that we do not exist, or that they defeated us.

I know that there are many who would argue that an election at this time represents a luxury we cannot afford, that an emergency government under myself or some other is necessary during this period of crisis. That “strong” and “decisive” leadership is essential to our survival and that this is somehow incompatible with democratic governance.

These are the same arguments that authoritarians have made throughout human history and I would argue that now more than ever, with liberty in peril on Earth, we cannot afford to do anything other than to nurture freedom to the ultimate limits of our ability.

I have here a Provisional Constitution for the Republic of Selene put together Dr. Emiliano Stein, Dr. Henry Rojas, Commander Timm Schlesinger, and Director Urvasi Ganapuli. As voters you will have a chance to reject or approve it when you cast your ballots- if you reject it then the new government will be required to draft a different constitution to replace it. Everyone will have access to an electronic version on the net, but just in case a few of us don’t get around to looking it over on their own- I don’t need to remind you how busy we all are- I want to at least read the preamble now.

We, the people of Selene, having resolved to constitute the Allied Lunar Mandate into a sovereign democratic Republic of Selene and to secure to all of its citizens:

Liberty- of thought, expression, belief, faith, and worship

Equality- of status and opportunity

Fraternity- assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity of the nation

Justice- social, economic and political…”- Chief of Lunar Operations Annette Dufour, February 8, 1985

Looks like this timeline's equivalents of the Samothracians have showed up!

Though I am curious, what happened to the Drakian prisoners they captured on the moon after they took over all of the bases?

What's the population of the moon right now?

really love the update!!! but a president? their only 2 country that have surived more than 50 years with a president usa and chile, and chile had that thing in 70-90 and not going talk about america to avoid current poltics, so maybe instead have it be a parlimentary system or the council chooses the president cause otherwise you get into case where council and presdient say I am the will of the people and that rabbit hole here a article that goes more indepth into it

really love the update!!! but a president? their only 2 country that have surived more than 50 years with a president usa and chile, and chile had that thing in 70-90 and not going talk about america to avoid current poltics, so maybe instead have it be a parlimentary system or the council chooses the president cause otherwise you get into case where council and presdient say I am the will of the people and that rabbit hole here a article that goes more indepth into it
By far the two largest powers in the AfD, India and the USA both have Presidents and will by extension be the largest contributors of personnel to it's Space Efforts, ergo it makes sense that they'll use a Presidentional system

By far the two largest powers in the AfD, India and the USA both have Presidents and will by extension be the largest contributors of personnel to it's Space Efforts, ergo it makes sense that they'll use a Presidentional system
yah but it a collorbaion between many nations still and their a reason why we never tell other country to use presidental system and a final war of this size with the millitarty in charge for a while good enough time for their to be a change

at end of day it a nitpicky thing so it not live or die it was just odd to me that all

Deleted member 94708

I, for one, look forward to the arrival of our new lunar overlords.

Seriously, though, one expects that the immediate priority following on self-sufficiency will be to build the surgical strike capabilities to ensure Drakia never again leaves the Earth’s surface.

Between impending civil war, Chinese nuclear strikes, Selenite kinetic bombardment, and Russian troops, Drakia isn’t long for this world.

"Archon, your little bioweapon may have rained on our glorious parade, but we won't let you have the satisfaction of victory. We're carrying on the fight from the one place that no longer feels the touch of Societism...

SPACE!"

Don't forget Costa Rica!

Except for Elvira Naldorssen, there have been no characters from the canon Draka books appearing ITTL.
True, but that doesn't mean we can hope :).
"Archon, your little bioweapon may have rained on our glorious parade, but we won't let you have the satisfaction of victory. We're carrying on the fight from the one place that no longer feels the touch of Societism...

SPACE!"
Thanks, now my headcanon is that Commander Timm Schlesinger is TTL's Tim Curry.

wonder how the Lunarians are reacting to this kekeke

I wonder if we are going to eventually have Earth Ruled from the Moon.

Although considering how hardscrabble it is to survive there it would be a problem. If only they'd made it to mars.

To that end, acting in my authority as the highest-ranking Allied official still alive, active, and free, and wielding the full power of the General Assembly, I have determined that the Allied Lunar Mandate will be reorganized into the Republic of Selene- a country with the full rights and responsibilities of any other member of the Alliance for Democracy- and that elections will be held six months from today for a president and council to govern our new nation.

Selene Waxing

"...that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
—Abraham Lincoln

[Hope is Rekindled]

EDIT:Is Overline supported? [o] doesn't work.

EDIT:Title added.

EDIT:...Can't decide between Selene Rising or Selene Waxing...former more neutral, latter risks looking stupid...need help.

Although considering how hardscrabble it is to survive there it would be a problem. If only they'd made it to mars.
If AIS-1184 had made it to Mars when the Final War broke out they probably wouldn't have the resources to establish a fully self-sufficient colony there, or make it back with enough to enable boot-strapping here.

Last edited:
So elections in 6 months, while Drakia is just over 5 months from seeing the final society end...

The broadcast of Selene's election process will be an undeniably POWERFUL signal, and it will be timed excellently. As the "Final Society" implodes and collapses, the wretched people shall hear from the very heavens the sounds of democracy at its proudest, unbowed and unbroken by the wrath of the snake. Across the ruins of Europe, the unstable cities of China, and the shattered states of North America, the survivors of Drakia's apocalypse will hear democracy's call, and be reminded of the values they treasured so dear. False temptations to empower strongmen with "emergency authority" will be discarded, as a restored optimism drives the people to faithfully re-forge the systems of government and liberty they fought so hard to preserve. Across the length of Africa, the first words former bondsmen hear from the world without the cruel filters of the snake will be the song of freedom itself. The men around Arthur Klein's cooling body will see no reason to continue the charade of a Societist dictatorship, and in time the Union shall reunite peacefully. In the end, though Drakia may have eternally scarred the free world's body, the free world's spirit is rekindled into a flame brighter than ever.

I mean... you'd have to be pretty desperate to even consider it.
That would describe a lot of people's situations after the Final War's first phase. So, can it be done if things get that desperate?

I would like to express a story consideration, if you don't mind. Please bear with me, as this will start negative and grow more positive by the end.

For this whole story, I've been aware of the Dice and their impact on the TL. At times, I've really appreciated them and the unique aspect they brought to the events that followed. It was a clear indication that this, unlike many TLs, was not just an exercise where history and chance bent towards a specific goal (which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but it gets old), but rather a timeline that banked heavily on an old source material plus the random chance of history. I really liked it.

And as hypocritical as it is, the Stone Dogs and the randomness of infection and survival really killed a lot of enthusiasm for the story for me. Like a lot of people, there's no universe for me where a Drakia victory is acceptable personally. The brief thrill of an evil force's victory is quickly eclipsed by how wretched it makes you feel for reading it or how despairing it makes a reader of human nature. An Axis (or in this case, Drakia) victory is always really testing to your moral center and, as a consequence, your willingness to continue the story.

The line about the forthcoming end of Societism's Final Society and this update even more so have brought me back in to this TL. There's more of a hope to the storyline now. The world beyond Drakia was no less scarred than Africa was when the evil was allowed to spread, but there's a beacon of defiance in the sky every night and on the radio waves every hour, and the surviving terrestrial nations of both factions are raring to go to rip the snake apart even as it eats its own tail in a suicidal civil war.

What I'm saying is that this update really brought me back into this, and I can't wait to see how this whole thing ends.

The problem with claiming to be the legit government of East Asia is that this means claiming territory that both China and Russia are occupying and intend to annex. And they're not ready for a confrontation with both of those countries simultaneously.
And there are too many Manchus and Mongols in leadership positions for the remnant to declare themselves to be some sort of Korean state of some sort, even if that is probably what said remnant is heading towards sooner or later, if it survives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.