Status
Not open for further replies.
So, yeah, what is the Imperial Japanese Navy like and how does it compare right now to the navies of its most realistic enemies (the East Asian Navy, the Chinese Navy, the Indian Navy (combined with that of minor Jakarta Pact members and Indonesia), and the US Pacific Fleet)?

Just to get a feeling for the level of difference. As a back of the napkin calculation... It feels like at this point that in terms of people getting a High School education (still attending formal school at age 16) that the AFD has the Pact outnumbered 15:1 and not counting the Japanese in the Pact, the ratio is closer to 20:1. I'm not sure the Allies in WWII ever reached that ratio relative to the Germans.

I do wonder once word of the Stone Dogs get out if some the Pact nations might actually leave out of disgust and desire not to get destroyed.
If a country does decide to leave the Pact now, they might gain considerable leniency from the Alliance of Democracy if they warn the Alliance about the upcoming conventional strike and the Stone Dogs Project, and hand over copies of the vaccine immediately.

If a country does decide to leave the Pact now, they might gain considerable leniency from the Alliance of Democracy if they warn the Alliance about the upcoming conventional strike and the Stone Dogs Project, and hand over copies of the vaccine immediately.
I don't think that Drakia shared details with its allies, or intends to.

Deleted member 96212

You know, I always wondered how in vanilla Draka Stirling managed to make you root for the fucking Nazis. Hitler's insanity is most likely even crazier than the Draka brand of violence, especially with Generalplan Ost.

Part of it is because Stirling is a bit of a hack, but the other part is that most people - who only get information through pop culture, if that - don't even realize how bad the Nazis were aside from "gassed six million Jews". Shit, there was a study that showed that most people don't even know who Stalin was.

Part of it is because Stirling is a bit of a hack, but the other part is that most people - who only get information through pop culture, if that - don't even realize how bad the Nazis were aside from "gassed six million Jews". Shit, there was a study that showed that most people don't even know who Stalin was.
Which is rather unfortunate since a lot more people should know about Holdomor, the purges and five year plans...

Again: if Drakia takes it lying down.

The Archon seems nutters enough to allocate precious superweapons to punishing defecters.

Shit, there was a study that showed that most people don't even know who Stalin was.
[citation needed]

Gosh the horror of Drakia in this tl is so interesting it really shows how generations upon generations of hatred being fostered and encouraged by a society can create this freakish Frankensteins monster out of all of the worst parts of western civilization. It's been fascinating how each successive generation becomes more and more removed from reality and their own propaganda has become the entire world for them. So happy to have discovered this tl

Incoherent screaming.
Well, they are definitely true believers.

....Well SHIT!

Don't Fear the Reaper...

Cue dramatic music.

Wait... they assume the French and Germans are degenerate racially

No, he's just not giving a complete list. He does assume that they are mostly degenerate though.

Absolutely. Chilling.

Thank you!

EDIT: though, why the "stone dogs" code name?

In universe? It's a random code name chosen so as to not imply anything about the true nature of the project.

EDIT: I wonder, will you be doing separate rolls for before and after the pandemic hits them, and perhaps how bad the pandemic is?

I will not. All is explained in the next update

I mean it's definitely not what it reminds me of, but I can't help but be reminded of a certain virus.

It wasn't deliberate, although I do feel like I have a much better understanding of what a pandemic looks like now that I'm living through one. The idea was just to come up with a more realistic "ultimate bioweapon" than vanilla Stone Dogs, since a virus that can be "activated" by a radio signal is bullshit.

Yikes. Are there any real-world pathogens with an incubation period that long?

TB, Rabies, and HIV can have 3 month incubation periods, although it's not the most common presentation. For influenza viruses the incubation period is usually measured in days, so one in months is crazy high.

Great comments overall, (preempted my own reaction post), but especially this. The whole TL is just EBR: Jerusalem Furniture Hijinks.

:p

Also @Ephraim Ben Raphael, there's something else I'm curious about.
I probably missed something, but, if the plan is to breed a new master race from those 45,000 Drakensis, what's ensuring the loyalty of the Citizens working on the project (or the broader population as it gradually finds out)? Sheer ideological commitment? Promises about their seed being introduced to it too, eventually if they prove themselves worthy? Just fear (though that has limits)? Something else?

Good question. The H. Drakensis are presented as the collective children of the nation, even if they are so biologically, and as forerunners of the master race that everyone's descendants will eventually achieve. They'll get there early, but eventually your bloodline will also.

Thing is a tank can fires its 120mm gun NOW rather than in ten minutes and it can keep firing for a while without needing to fly back to base between attacks.

I suppose even if main battle tanks decline, armored personnel carriers and mobile armored artillery will continue to be prevalent. In far better numbers and quality than Drakia can manage.

You can have all the air superiority in the world, doesn't mean you have attack aircraft orbiting over every trouble spot ready to pounce.

Aircraft are expensive to procure, and expensive to fly. Even an MQ-9A costs upwards of three thousand dollars per flight hour, and that's for an expendable drone.

A sort of 'light tank' would carry on, too--a gun carrier for what used to be a tank gun, possibly built on the new model of APC ala Stryker with treads. Or an assault gun with a turret.

And even without then tanks would make good cover in open terrains, at least against small arms fire, and countermeasures against its superheavy counterparts in the Separateverse must have been already made. Modern Tank armor's one tough of a material I doubt anything other than large-caliber guns and raw airpower could thoroughly destroy, ideally along with its crew.

If anything, arriving at mid-2020's technology must mean that they've perfected air support doctrines, so drones, helicopter gunships, and AC-130's are still a must. Then, tank doctrine must put emphasis on survivability than anything else - to serve to be just as effective AA platform as its AT capabilities. This means that such vehicles would be way more diversified unlike OTL where only propelled Howitzers where differentiated - if humans can prove to be a reliable and precise enough platforms for sufficiently heavier and powerful weapons, then those tanks must serve as the parts of its "mobile fortress". AA, armored counterparts of mobile howitzers than can double as AT guns, etc.

I don't see that self-correcting shells would be precise enough to defend itself against attacking air power, rocketry deemed absent must have done a better job, but come on, it's 1980! Computing technology and materials engineering must have made them already conceptualize those things!

If anything, soldiers are still just as likely to sit on the top of its APC's and Armors as much as inside those when they sense that AP rounds would surely kill them when they do the latter.

EDIT: Also, the Drakian flu would mess up the psyche of the non-Drakian nations and make them develop a hate-boner.

You know, what? You have changed my mind, This is what happens when you're trying to come up with a way for the military paradigm to change dramatically between the last war and this one. I'll edit it once I finish posting the dice interlude.

So since the Drakia have their Stone Dogs, does the Alliance have their Complague as well?

No, just a general superiority in almost every category that isn't biological warfare including numbers.

OK, what the fuck.

The one requirement for an effective deterrent is that the threat must be credible. Elaborate murder-suicides only become credible if the initiator is genuinely nutters enough to go through with it, because there's no way to 'win' a superweapon exchange with such a weapon, and if you're nutters enough to go through with it anywho deterrence is no longer a policy goal.

(That's not a complaint to you, by the way, it's towards Kobold, Drakia as a nation state and a failure to fully embrace MAD as a policy goal where it might have done some good. So props to you?)

He wasn't planning to use it as a deterent. Kobold just decided to put a halt on preparations for a pre-emptive strike until relation had deteriorated further.

Good lord, the death toll from this plague is going to be staggering. Drakia and its allies truly have declared war on the entire world. Are the other leaders in the Pact aware of the insanity that Dart is about to unleash upon humanity? I imagine the more saner and pragmatic leaders must be freaking out, knowing how outmatched the Pact is and how fucked they are if they lose. I wonder if the Alliance for Democracy has any bioweapons that could match or even exceed the deadliness of the Stone Dogs Project.

They are not! The other leaders of the Pact only know that they're being sent a vaccine and told to administer it. Other than Japan they're clients, they couldn't do anything anyway.

AfD has a bioweapons arsenal, but nothing this powerful.

Oh no, he's a Posadist!

The similarities did not occur to me, bu holy cow you have a point.

I see what you did there

:biggrin:

I see Drakia is going the way of WWII era Imperial Japan, complete with their own Unit 731. In light of the latter I have to ask, how many people have died as a result of Drakian human experimentation and bio-weapon tests in particular? Because I imagine the final tally is going to be depressingly huge.

It's high. They've been using Bonded criminals and persons slated for euthanasia.

Also, why didn't The Alliance at least consider Striking during the period of transition? Just because you think a rattlesnake won't cross your fence doesn't mean you don't cut its head off.

(a) Because they didn't know for sure that there was a transition. Swadling didn't announce he had taken power until he felt secure, and Dart didn't announce he had taken power until Swadling was dead he really was secure

(b)...

I’m sure there were definitely people calling for a preemptive strike, but even in a best case scenario, where literally everything went in the Alliance’s favor, there would still likely be over 500 million deaths from a war breaking out between the Alliance for Democracy and the Pact. Faced with that kind of potential body count, it’s not that surprising that the Alliance tried to delay such a war for as long as possible.

While the Alliance would certainly have won, they would have taken hundreds of millions of casualties. Why start a war when they're clearly winning the waiting game, and can rely on getting more more and more powerful in relation to their enemies simply by letting the clock run out?

Computers are useful in just about anything. They're not not going to be used.

The real question is, is there a high enough degree of networking that mass contagion can be achieved? Which the answer appears to be no, not really, the Pact seems to build for security first and connectivity second.

Edit: Probably a lot of disconnected intranetworks scattered here and there, not a monolithic Internet.

That doesn't make cyberwarfare useless, but it does subordinate it to 'conventional' espionage, because intranetwork access needs to be achieved on-location.

Yeah, the Societists use a series of disconnected intranetworks instead of the Internet, so no comp-plague. It's a more secure approach, but it weakens them in a lot of other areas.

I realize the odds of this happening is near impossible, but what happens if America and Drakia both roll a 20?

All will be covered in the dice interlude!

Is their stockpile even that large?

It is, and they'll be making more continuously now that the Archon has given the "go" order.

Could there be something analogous to Diversitarianism in the former Empire?

Probably not, given that Diversitarianism seems to have been a reaction to LTTW's Societism and Societism here is so different.

Ideologically, how do Societists view Rexism? Misguided? Antithetical?

A misguided attempt to modernize good pre-Societist traditional values that went off the rails and became just as bad as the ideologies it claimed to oppose. The fact that it allied itself to democracies is proof that it's no better than they are.

Societism is the "moderate" ideology between the equally terrible poles of fascism/western liberalism and Rexism/Geoism which are considered two forms of the same thing

It would be "funny" if Drakia bombed the Yellowstone volcano with its cannons and provoked a hyper eruption destroying the whole planet.

Are space guns even powerful enough to do that?

They are not. I don't think volcanoes work that way.

A thought I just had. It is unlikely that scientists in the AfD are not yet realising the underlying physics of a nuclear chain reaction. By now, they must be knowing that a nuclear weapon is a real possibility even if the Chinese have successfully managed to keep their own program entirely secret.
While it stands to reason that Drakia is very much behind in this area, the AfD should have both the theoretical understanding required by now, and the resources to spare to launch a program on it, right?

The Chinese scientist who first worked out "E=MC2" and all that published his findings, so they have access to the basic theory.

So, yeah, what is the Imperial Japanese Navy like and how does it compare right now to the navies of its most realistic enemies (the East Asian Navy, the Chinese Navy, the Indian Navy (combined with that of minor Jakarta Pact members and Indonesia), and the US Pacific Fleet)?

It's the strongest of the Pact navies and still stronger than either China or East Asia, but a lot weaker than it used to be and behind the US Pacific Fleet and the Indian Navy.

Why do I feel like Stone Dogs is going to backfire?

Well, we'll find out soon!

Gosh the horror of Drakia in this tl is so interesting it really shows how generations upon generations of hatred being fostered and encouraged by a society can create this freakish Frankensteins monster out of all of the worst parts of western civilization. It's been fascinating how each successive generation becomes more and more removed from reality and their own propaganda has become the entire world for them. So happy to have discovered this tl

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

You need to massively buff the alliance and debuff the pact. Like minus five to the result based on their massive technological and manpower problems . It would kill all the world building if they steamed rolled against a numerically and technological superior foe. So basically implement something like the river crossing penalty in paradox plaza games.

Interlude: Stone Dogs Dice
Separated at Birth I Pic CCLVIII.jpg

Interlude: Stone Dogs Dice

Those first few months of the last war are pretty much predetermined- the Pact will do a fair amount of damage, then fall back on the defensive as considerably more damage is done to them. As devastating as the conventional and “conventional” warfare between the Alliance for Democracy and the Pact of Blood is going to be, the war will really be decided by how badly the Stone Dogs manage to devastate the Alliance demographically. If enough key Alliance countries at least do okay, then they should be able to overcome what’s left of the Societists- even if the Societists roll as well or even a little better than they do. If the AfD falls into chaos due to its population losses, then Drakia is capable of emerging- shattered but alive- to crush the Allied survivors and establish a global hegemony. You can guess how stable and successful that hegemony is likely to be.

So;

-All non-members of the Pact of Blood get a -5 malus because the Stone Dogs really are that bad
-All members of the Pact of Blood get a +5 bonus because they have access to protective vaccines and a “floor” of 10
-All members of the Alliance for Democracy get a +2 bonus from their world-wide cross-border public health co-operation and extensive biowarfare planning
-Former members of the Pan-European Pact get a +1 bonus from their experience facing biowarfare during the Great Patriotic War, so do Drakia, Russia, and Rhomania, the USA, India, Japan, East Asia, and China get a similar bonus from their Great Pacific War biowarfare experience
-Countries with more than 100 million inhabitants get a “big country” malus of -1 to -4 because they’re trying to halt epidemics across such a large population
-Countries with world class public health systems get a +2 bonus
-Drakia gets a +2 biowarfare expertise, and an extra +2 because they created Stone Dogs and are therefore the most familiar with it
-Under-developed countries like Afghanistan, Tibet, Borneo, Peru etc. get a -2 malus because they can’t respond as effectively to the diseases, but they also get a “floor” of 6, because their underdeveloped nature will make it harder for the Stone Dogs to spread through their population
-Nations directly bordering the Pact of Blood get a -2, so do countries bordering Centroamerica and Colombia, as do Centroamerica and Colombia because Drakian agents used them as bases from which to introduce the Stone Dogs
-Island nations get a +2
-Neutrals too weak or too far away for Drakia to bother targeting get a +5 bonus because they aren’t dealing with orbital bombardment or strategic bombing at the same time as a triple plague
-I reserve the right to fuck with the numbers slightly in the name of authorial fiat, narrative reasons, and stuff like “they’re right next door to a country that totally collapsed, so they’re going to have a rougher time of it”.

I will not be making any changes to this system as a result of reader requests or arguments and I am standing firm on this.

The results of the rolls themselves translate to;

20: Crit negates all maluses. This nation responded to the most disastrous public health event since the Columbian Exchange perfectly. Conventional war damage either failed to interfere with public health efforts, or inadvertently aided them by making it harder for people to travel and spread the Stone Dogs. Immediate and effective quarantine efforts until vaccines were worked out may have initially interfered with this country’s ability to wage war, but they resulted in very few people dying to disease and in the long run it will be capable of mobilizing a relatively unimpaired war machine.

19-18: This nation successfully quarantined the locations of initial outbreaks within their borders. Inside those areas casualties were high, but the rest of the country was spared. Their military is weakened, but only mildly. 2-5% casualties.

16-17: This nation’s public health response to the virus was disrupted, either by a less-than-ideal response from the authorities, damage from the war, or some other factor. Ultimately hard work still managed to make a difference and it protected most of its population long enough to create vaccines or to acquire vaccines from someone who did. 6-10% casualties, post-outbreak military effectiveness degraded but still there.

14-15: Either someone seriously screwed up, or the enemy did a really good job of disrupting epidemic response. The Stone Dogs had essentially uncontrolled spread in a significant section of the country, and there were outbreaks elsewhere. Government operations are seriously impaired, military effectiveness significantly degraded. 10-17%.

12-13: Leading government and military figures died after the government lost (or failed to) control the spread of the Stone Dogs and was forced to regain control subsequently. While the state still exists it is much weaker and is likely under a military dictatorship or an emergency government whose authority is nonexistent in the hinterlands. Military effectiveness severely degraded, 18-25% casualties.

10: This nation failed to effectively halt the spread of the Stone Dogs and only partially rallied later into the outbreak. An emergency government under the leadership of a previously minor or middle-ranking figure exists, whether military or civilian they suffer from a shortage of legitimacy. Central government authority is badly weakened and significant parts of the country are outside of its control. These regions may be in anarchy, or they may be in the hands of rebels or state elements who refuse to recognize the national leadership. Military restricted to purely defensive operations with badly disrupted logistic functions. 33% casualties.

8-9: Only the most theoretical national government exists in the form of questionable authorities who control an emergency capital and command the notional allegiance of some regional officials and fragments of the military. The knock-on effects of the plagues have resulted in a number of more minor disasters- fires burning out of control without firefighters to oppose them, food shortages due to the absence of farm laborers, civil unrest, etc. Most of the country is outside of the nominal government’s control. Military capable of offering symbolic resistance only. 33-40% casualties.

6-7: As the Stone Dogs ripped though the population society crumbled and the national government collapsed entirely. Some regional authorities fared better, and there are places where casualties were much lower under state officials, military leftovers, warlords, rebels, or criminal gangs. Conventional resistance to an invader could be expected to collapse in the face of even a semi-functioning foreign military (unconventional resistance in the form of terrorism or guerilla warfare still a thing however). 40-50%

4-5: There are a few local islands of stability under military remnants or warlords, but everything else is anarchy with no government beyond the level of an armed gang. Knock-on disasters from the collapse have taken a substantial toll on top of the Stone Dogs. In the short-term most people would welcome or at least accept the rule of a foreign occupier promising to make sure they are fed and to get the lights back on. 60-70% casualties.

2-3: There is at least one noteworthy faction existing in an isolated area under a competent strongman. Beyond that the country is anarchy for now- it’ll be a couple years before any more organized factions coalesce. Many of those who survived the Stone Dogs can expect to die from other causes, quite a few are simply fleeing as refugees to relatively well-off neighboring countries. Heavily depopulated. 70% casualties.

1: Fumble negates all bonuses. If the country that rolled this is a member of the Pact of Blood, then it means either that the Stone Dogs vaccines failed to work, or that one or more of the viruses mutated beyond the ability of its vaccine to provide protection. All members of the Pact lose their vaccine bonus and acquire the same malus as everyone else. If the country that rolled this is not a member of the Pact of Blood, then it means that they failed entirely to contain the Stone Dogs viruses. This may have been because of bad decisions and incompetence on the part of their leadership, a refusal to let quarantine measures interfere with military mobilization, war damage, or just bad luck, but as a result 85% of the population is dead and most of the survivors can be expected to perish from the war, knock-on disasters, or flee abroad. The government and military have completely disintegrated, this country is almost entirely depopulated and has effectively ceased to exist.

There will be modifications depending on what side the country was on, its specific local circumstances, etc. Keep in mind that we’re just rolling for the effect of the Stone Dogs virus without taking into account the devastation of the first few months of the Final War as everyone throws orbital kinetic projectiles and space bombers full of chemical weapons and lesser biologicals at each other. Meaning that the situation may actually be much worse once than what’s described above once the plagues have run their course- a country that would have been a major conventional target for the other side (say France) then rolling low to respond to the Stone Dogs, might be in far worse shape than their roll would suggest.

I will not be making any changes to this system as a result of reader requests or arguments and I am standing firm on this. Not that I don't love you guys, but this is happening.

To give a few examples, working out the bonuses and maluses the USA has:

+2 Alliance for Democracy
+2 World Class Public Health System
+1 Biowarfare Veteran
-5 Stone Dogs
-2 Pact Neighbor
-3 Big Country

And Drakia has:

+5 Protective Vaccines
+2 World Class Public Health System (healthy Bondsmen are more productive)
+2 Biowarfare expert
+2 Country of Origin
+1 Biowarfare Veteran
-3 Big Country

While China has:

+1 Biowarfare Veteran
+5 Plot Armor
-5 Stone Dogs
-2 Pact Neighbor
-4 Big Country

Finally, Afghanistan has:

+5 Not Worth It
-5 Stone Dogs
-2 Pact Neighbor
-2 Underdeveloped

There is a small but significant chance of Drakia wiping itself out but leaving America unscathed and an even smaller chance of a mutual kill.

I have a list of all 45 countries in this TL in an arbitrary order (I’m not telling you what that order is). So, what I want you guys to do is to roll your own D20- using a simulator or a real D20- and then post the number you got. I will then apply those numbers to the list in the order they come in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.