Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Abbott is from Warringhah Sydney though? (Actually he was born in London)

Indeed. But with a bit of artistic licence I have him settling in Queensland ITTL. He’s a member of the New Country Party of Queensland, which is affiliated with the federal Liberals and Country party. And therefore a member of the Imperial Conservatives.

Yeah, I kind of guessed Turquoise Blue would have something do to with the welsh politics.

Well she is from Wales. Would have been silly not to ask for her input :p

What's the status of Canadian politics right now? How is UDF holding up?

The UDF is pretty shaky, as infighting between the Liberal and Commonwealth parties continues. Especially with the consolidation of the Canadian right under the Alliance, and their perceived unity.

There might be another Canadian federal election soon... But at the moment I’m working on a few interesting historical conflicts...

Personally, I'm a sucker for province elections, I loved the NB, NS and Tasmania elections so much, because they were local and about a small part of the UE and all, so if something like that is in the pipeline, I would love it ^^

Bahamas; 2017 state election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Personally, I'm a sucker for province elections, I loved the NB, NS and Tasmania elections so much, because they were local and about a small part of the UE and all, so if something like that is in the pipeline, I would love it ^^
So would literally everyone else.

Ask and you shall receive :p

In all seriousness though, I've been working on this one for a while. Full credit to DrRandomFactor of Wikipedia for the Bahamas election base map, I just had to add the Turks and Caicos.

PS. If there are any typos or spelling mistakes it's cos I'm on my tablet which apparently doesn't have spell check...

rd293tC.png

The Bahamas, also known as the Bahama Islands or Lucaya, is one of the seven states of the Dominion of Carolina, the only one located outside of continental North America. An archipelagic state covering the entirety of the Lucayan Archipelago, the Bahamas consists of more than 700 islands, cays, and islets in the Atlantic Ocean, and is located north of the islands of Cuba and Hispaniola, and southeast of the Free State of Florida. With a total land area of 14,000 square kilometres, and a total population of 380,000 people, the Bahamas is the smallest Carolinian state by area and population.

In 1492, the islands were the site of Columbus' first landfall in the New World, and at the time were inhabited by the Lucayan people, a brand of the Taino people from other neighbouring Caribbean islands. The Spanish never colonised the archipelago, but the native population were shipped to slavery in Hisapniola, and the islands were mostly uninhabited between 1513 and 1648, when English colonists from Bermuda settled on the island of Eleuthera. The Eleutherian Adventurers would later also settle on New Providence, establishing Charles Town, later renamed Nassau. In 1670 the islands were granted to the Lords Proprietors of the Carolinas by King Charles II, and during the period of proprietary rule the islands became a haven for pirates.

After the eviction of the pirates and the end of their "Pirates' Republic" in 1718, the British established the Bahamas as a crown colony under the royal governorship of Woodes Rogers, who suceeded in supressing piracy. Following the Colonial Unrest of the 1760s and 1770s, the Bahamas saw an increase in settlement from both White Europeans and African slaves as the colony became increasingly tied to continental British America. Gradually the demographics shifted against Europeans, and today Afro-Bahamians make up nearly 85% of the population. In the decades following the 1807 British abolishment of the slave trade, the Royal Navy resttled thousands of liberated Africans in the Bahamas, and several hundred escaped slaves and Seminoles from Florida would escape to the islands in the 1820s. The emancipation of slaves in 1834 caused upheaval in the Bahamas, as the traditional plantation economy ended.

A shortlived attempt to form an independent republic during the Republican Rebellion by a small number of inhabitants of Nassau was quickly defeated by the colonial government and militia. A movement emerged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, mainly amongst the white population, to integrate the colony with one of the larger North American dominions. In 1911, the Bahamas became the seventh state of the Dominion of Carolina, and although the Afro-Bahamian population was not disenfranchised at the state level, they suffered similar discrimination to the Afro-Carolinian population on the mainland. The Bahamas underwent significant political changes in the post-war period, with full suffrage in the 1950s, a full decade before the rest of Carolina, and the political parties took on a more nationalist platform in opposition to the increasingly hardline white supremacist rhetoric coming from the federal government.

In the modern day, the Bahamas is one of the richest parts of the Caribbean, with an economy primarily based on tourism and finance. Although relations with mainland Carolina have historically been strained, the full enfranchisement of Afro-Carolinians and the rise of more moderate political parties has done much to heal the divide. However, the Bahamas has continued to maintain a national identity separate to that of the six continental states, and coupled with the islands' strong regionalist sentiment, has allowed the Bahamas to maintain a status in the Empire closer to that of an associated state than a fully federated state, with special exemptions from federal laws dating back to 1911.

t2y52ek.png

The 2017 Bahamas state election was held on 10 May 2017 to elect, under the first past the post voting system, the 49 members of the Bahamas House of Assembly. Each member of the legislature is elected from a single-member district of roughly equal population.

The incumbent minority government of the regionalist Bahamas Party, led by Premier Peter Turnquest, had served the full four-year term of the legislature before calling an election. The first term in office for the regionalists had been successful, as the government had continued to strengthen the economy and improve the state education sector, whilst also securing exemptions from the federal government on tax and welfare reforms. Turnquest had deftly handled an attempt by the more extreme nationalists in his party to oust him in 2016, and had ruled out any moves to secede from Carolina under his leadership.

The opposition centrist Progressive Liberals had elected a new leader, Branville McCartney, in 2014, but generally made a poor showing in the campaign. The loss at the 2013 election over an ongoing corruption scandal had shaken the party, and they seemed either unwilling or unable to cope with being out of government for the first time since the 1990s. The moderate centre-right Conservatives, who generally espouse progressive conservative policies but have drifted towards the centre under the leadership of Ryan Pinder, performed better at this election, picking up two extra seats at the expense of the PLP.

In the final result, the Bahamas Party secured their first majority government with 47% of the popular vote, whilst the PLP saw their vote share and seats drop again. Despite this McCartney pledged to stay on as party leader, as did both Turnquest and Pinder.

42fBlnB.png

Last edited:
Nice little look at Carolina's window to the Caribbean! Although it seems that racial tensions still show their ugly head, at least the Bahamas seem to be doing quite well overall :)

I would like to see a Carolinian election or list of Premiers. Im also kind of interested whether George Wallace became some large political figure too.

I would like to see a Carolinian election or list of Premiers. Im also kind of interested whether George Wallace became some large political figure too.
Very likely he did. If I'm allowed to speak for a moment, I think he wouldn't be part of the Tories and then the Southern Tories. He sounds more like he would be part of his own Liberal splitter party that would in the end merge with the Progressives in the 1980s, hence why there's a sharp racial divide between Progressives and Justice (the two left-wing parties in Carolina)

Very likely he did. If I'm allowed to speak for a moment, I think he wouldn't be part of the Tories and then the Southern Tories. He sounds more like he would be part of his own Liberal splitter party that would in the end merge with the Progressives in the 1980s, hence why there's a sharp racial divide between Progressives and Justice (the two left-wing parties in Carolina)

Is this info from an existing post or an upcoming one?

Gian

Banned
I would just like to ask if any of you guys would like to adapt the current world map to either the current Q-BAM (you're actually using an outdated version of it) or the 8K-BAM

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Nice little look at Carolina's window to the Caribbean! Although it seems that racial tensions still show their ugly head, at least the Bahamas seem to be doing quite well overall :)

Indeed Unfortunately I judged that racial tensions in Carolina were always going to emerge ITTL, but things were slightly better in places like Florida and Texas ITTL. Although maybe not in Louisiana what with the Troubles ITTL.

He most likely did.

Hmm... With Wallace I’d always assumed that he would naturally emerge as a leader of the centre-right in Carolina. In my notes he was a member of the Carolina government in the late 1950s and early 60s when the majority of the Carolina conservatives broke away to form the Southern Tories. He succeeded Lester Maddox as leader of the Southern Tory party, and First Minister of Carolina, and led the party through it's transformation into Southern Heritage before losing the 1975 election to Ned McWherter and the centre/centre-left Reform party. I suppose he could have easily been a former member of the historic Carolina Liberal Party, who broke away over the issue of segregation/civil rights and eventually joined the Southern Tories...

As to the racial divide between the Progressives and Justice in Carolina. In my head the former is a remnant from the United Farmers, hence it's appeal to a generally white, now-suburban, voter base. Whereas Justice is an explicitly Afro-Carolinian rights party that emerged from Martin Luther King's civil rights movement.

There's an american flag in the background of The Lord Warner's pic, and a small american flag on that counter or whatever it is behind him.

Yep. Unavoidable I’m afraid. But ITTL that is the "Grand Union Flag" - with a star representing each dominion. It’s quite popular in America.

Here's a bigger version:

bGLGfBb.png

The thirteen stripes in the background represent the thirteen founding dominions (including the historic kingdoms of Scotland and England as separate stripes). The twelve stars at the centre represent the twelve original members (Scotland, Wales and England linked as Great Britain), the outer circle of 18 stars represents the additional dominions created since 1876, with Wales, Scotland and Cornwall now represented by their own stars.

I would just like to ask if any of you guys would like to adapt the current world map to either the current Q-BAM (you're actually using an outdated version of it) or the 8K-BAM

No thanks. I’m in the process of doing it myself.

Hmm... With Wallace I’d always assumed that he would naturally emerge as a leader of the centre-right in Carolina. In my notes he was a member of the Carolina government in the late 1950s and early 60s when the majority of the Carolina conservatives broke away to form the Southern Tories. He succeeded Lester Maddox as leader of the Southern Tory party, and First Minister of Carolina, and led the party through it's transformation into Southern Heritage before losing the 1975 election to Ned McWherter and the centre/centre-left Reform party.
Hmm, it's hard to say because George Wallace was a fairly complicated man

He did identify as a conservative during his heyday, but he was before that a pro-civil rights judge and after that was a relatively liberal governor in the 1980s and met with Jesse Jackson

So yeah, he'll have to be dealt with in a complicated way

Provinces of New England

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Just a bit of housekeeping, but I wanted to show off some maps and flags :)

rd293tC.png

The provinces of New England are the ten sub-national federated states that make up the Commonwealth of New England, which was formed in 1866 when the provinces were united to form a federal dominion. New England has undergone little territorial change over its history, with its territory being home to some of the oldest colonial settlements in North America, and all ten provinces having existed prior to 1866 as British colonies. Eight of the provinces are located in continental North America, with Nova Scotia covering a peninsula on the Atlantic coast. The provinces of Cape Breton and Prince Edward are located on islands in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence off the country's northern coast. New England's federal system is more centralised than in other dominions like Australia and Canada, with significant powers over law enforcement and welfare retained by the federal parliament, whilst the powers of the provinces to tax residents is limited. New England is the Empire's eleventh-largest dominion by total area, and the tenth by population.

Each province is principally subdivided into small incorporated municipalities known as towns, many of which are governed by town meetings, and these are fully functioning municipal corporations, possessing powers similar to cities in other subdivisions. The only unincorporated areas exist in the sparsely populated regions of Maine, New Hampshire, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Vermont. New England is one of the most linguistically diverse dominions, with significant non-anglophone populations in the northeast of the country and along the northern border with the Canadian province of Quebec. The provinces of Cape Breton and Nova Scotia are dominated by speakers of the New England Gaelic dialect, where they make up a majority of the population, whilst significant populations of Gaelic-speakers reside in Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. The latter province is the only tri-lingual part of the country where English, French and Gaelic are official languages. Francophones dominate in the northern, unincorporated regions of the provinces of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, and all three provinces recognise French as an official language.

q2Cn7OA.png

JXIycVm.png

lYihDUa.png

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hmm, it's hard to say because George Wallace was a fairly complicated man

He did identify as a conservative during his heyday, but he was before that a pro-civil rights judge and after that was a relatively liberal governor in the 1980s and met with Jesse Jackson

So yeah, he'll have to be dealt with in a complicated way

He's certainly a complex character... Makes it quite interesting to think about how he would fit into this timeline...

I suppose in theory, he could be a Liberal breakaway who joins the Conservatives. He rises to the leadership of the Southern Tories and then begrudgingly(?) accepts civil rights and the end of segregation. He oversees the transition to the Southern Heritage party, but eventually becomes an independent in the 80s over their severe right-ward white nationalist swing...

Mind if I see a preview?

Not ready to share yet.

He's certainly a complex character... Makes it quite interesting to think about how he would fit into this timeline...

I suppose in theory, he could be a Liberal breakaway who joins the Conservatives. He rises to the leadership of the Southern Tories and then begrudgingly(?) accepts civil rights and the end of segregation. He oversees the transition to the Southern Heritage party, but eventually becomes an independent in the 80s over their severe right-ward white nationalist swing...
You could have the Alabama Progressives persuade him to lead their party to kick out the Southern Heritage guy in charge, and he oversees a Progressive-Justice-Liberal coalition that surprisingly enough expands civil rights and whatnot, before Wallace retires for good

You could have the Southern Tories split between the die hard conservatives and the populists like Wallace, have the Southern Heritage party be one of two splitters, the other ending up merging into the Progressives and all

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
You could have the Alabama Progressives persuade him to lead their party to kick out the Southern Heritage guy in charge, and he oversees a Progressive-Justice-Liberal coalition that surprisingly enough expands civil rights and whatnot, before Wallace retires for good

You could have the Southern Tories split between the die hard conservatives and the populists like Wallace, have the Southern Heritage party be one of two splitters, the other ending up merging into the Progressives and all

I like the second option... Would link into what you suggested about the reason behind the racial divide on the left. Consider it canon :)

Could even call his populist party the Democrats :p