Hail, Britannia

I'm surprised Texas drives on the left. You'd think that with them being TTL's "'MURICA!" equivalent, they would drive on the right.

Well, they're like 80% "Yee-Haw", not full-blown compared to OTL. Besides, it makes more sense to set your roads up along the same setup as your neighbors, and Britain-in-America, California and Mexico all use left-side roads so why not Texas? They still have gridiron, barbecue and the 2nd Amendment :cool:.

@Pokemon Master, on the first page are the first entries for the "Hail, Britannia" universe. Check the Republic of Texas wikibox, it mentions driving left-hand side there.

Where's that mentioned?
Here.
Well, they're like 80% "Yee-Haw", not full-blown compared to OTL. Besides, it makes more sense to set your roads up along the same setup as your neighbors, and Britain-in-America, California and Mexico all use left-side roads so why not Texas? They still have gridiron, barbecue and the 2nd Amendment :cool:.
Ah, I see your point.
Speaking of cars, I'd be real interested in learning about Britannia's auto industry.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I'm surprised Texas drives on the left. You'd think that with them being TTL's "'MURICA!" equivalent, they would drive on the right.

Indeed, as ITTL most of the Americas drive on the correct side of the road :p. Historically though Texas and British America had non-uniform driving laws, which were standardised in the late 19th century. The push from Britain and Texas led to California switching to the left in the early 20th century and the rest of Latin America (excluding Brazil, Argentina and Patagonia which have always drive on the left) switched throughout the mid to late 20th century thanks to the Pan-American Highway.

Speaking of cars, I'd be real interested in learning about Britannia's auto industry.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the OTL industry to comment on how it would look ITTL. But I'd be more than happy for someone else to look at it if they wanted to :)

Texas; 2014 legislative election; 2017 legislative election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So apologies for the delay, work has been really hectic this week, but I finally managed to finish the write-up. Major credit goes to @wolfram for the work on developing Texas' political scene.

Here's the latest election in the Lone Star Republic, plus a redone version of the 2014 election. The previous post and information about Texas can be found here.

90oPyaR.png

xeVEnn6.png

Davis leads Reform back into government

AUSTIN, F.D. – Wendy Davis is set to become the next Prime Minister of Texas, and the second woman to hold the job, after securing a formal coalition agreement between Reform and the Constitutional Union in the wake of Tuesday's election. In a bitter and hard fought campaign the incumbent Christian Democrats narrowly retained their place as the largest party in the house, but the vote splitting with CU and the poor showing by their coalition partners, the right-wing National Renewal, have allowed Reform to form a coalition government supported by the Liga Chicano. Although combined the CDP and NRP hold more seats in the house (160) they have been unable to secure the support of another party and any administration would likely lose a vote of confidence.

The announcement of results in Austin, Matagorda, Sabine, Sonora and Nueces were delayed due to issues with electronic vote counting, forcing a manual count to take place. As the constitution requires the president to appoint a prime minister who can command the confidence of the house, President Martinez has confirmed that she will appoint Wendy Davis to the position, and she is expected to be sworn in on December 5 as the 26th Prime Minister. Incumbent CDP leader, and outgoing PM, Scott Turner accepted the results at a press conference late last night but confirmed that he would remain on as party leader. This has led to outcry from the liberal wing of the party, already angered at the right-wing direction of the Turner Administration, and Byron Cook has announced that he will challenge Turner for the party leadership when the legislature convenes in December. Long time National Renewal leader Trent Franks has confirmed that he will step down as his party's leader after a replacement is selected.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2014 Texan legislative election was held on October 28, 2014 to elect, under the first past the post system, the 335 members of the House of Representatives. The election was held concurrently with the presidential election.

The governing centre-right Christian Democrats, which advocates Christian democratic and social conservative policies, led by incumbent Prime Minister David Dewhurst were able to secure their fourth consecutive majority, despite losing 13 seats and only receiving 40% of the popular vote. The CDP did receive a boost amongst Hispanic voters, attributed to Susana Martínez's candidature for President. The broadly centrist and centre-left socially liberal Reform under new leader Wendy Davis made minor gains in this election, largely in suburban areas amongst moderate voters, although they saw a slight weakening in their support amongst Texas' Hispanic community over controversial comments by senior party figures about immigration from Latin America.

The right-wing conservative nationalist party, National Renewal, managed to gain a seat despite a decline in their vote share when they took Reform Party presidential candidate Chris Bell's district. Liga Chicano, the broadly left-wing Hispanic party led by Sonora Governor Manuel Acosta Gutiérrez, secured two extra seats at the expense of Reform, whilst the left-wing green politics Ecology Party managed to gain the Hermosillo-Tiburón district, narrowly beating out the CDP incumbent. The Native Alliance, a broad tent movement for the Texan First Nations which only runs in the state of Navajo, secured all four of the state districts for the eleventh consecutive election.

With the CDP securing another majority, David Dewhurst was formally voted in by the newly assembled House of Representatives on December 2, 2014 and sworn in (for the fourth time) as the 24th Prime Minister of the Republic of Texas by President Rick Perry at the Presidential Palace that afternoon.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2017 Texan legislative election was held on October 31, 2017 to elect, under the first past the post system, the 335 members of the House of Representatives.

Going into the election, the Christian Democrats had been beset by infighting and a breakdown of party unity. Seventeen right-wing members of the caucus had defected to National Renewal in August, after a leadership challenge by Dan Patrick failed to unseat incumbent Prime Minister David Dewhurst. President Martínez would become involved, and courted controversy by proroguing Congress for two weeks, later extended to three as a result of the effects of Hurricane Maria. Upon the reconvening of Congress on 1 September, Dewhurst faced a second challenge from Scott Turner and, seeing the writing on the wall, resigned after fourteen years leading the party. Turner was subsequently elected unopposed, and sworn in as the 25th Prime Minister, and the first Afro-Texan to hold the office. Without a working majority, the CDP were forced to form a coalition government with the NRP, taking the party on a hard-right direction on social and business issues.

Across the aisle, the Reform Party under experienced leader Wendy Davis portrayed themselves as the party of stability, comparing themselves favourably to the disarray in the CDP ranks. This divide was exacerbated when Will Hurd and Meghan McCain, both centre-leaning members of the CDP defected to the form the Constitutional Union, a moderate, pro-business, progressive conservative party, and Sam Johnson resigned the party whip to join the Libertarian Party, becoming their sole congressman. The backpedalling by the CDP on issues such as legal protection of LGBT employees, a hike in the business tax, and a controversial effort to privatise the Texas Health Agency. After opposition parties united with rogue CDP members to defeat the latter measure, the CDP-NRP coalition went into the election battered and bruised.

The final result saw the CDP remaining as the largest party in the House, cut to 120 seats from 162 before the election, but only narrowly ahead of Reform. National Renewal saw a complete reversal in the gains they had made over the previous three months, although many CDP defectors retained their seats, over a dozen marginal districts flipped to Reform or Constitution, and leader Trent Franks announced on Friday November 3 that he would call a leadership election in the new year. The Constitutional Union outperformed most pundits' expectations, winning in an additional 33 districts, and in a shock result candidate Sarah Davis unseated David Dewhurst in his home district of Houston-Allen's Landing. The Libertarians held their sole seat, whilst Ecology Party leader Brandon Parmer finally entered the house by defeating the CDP candidate in Galveston Coast. The Native Alliance retained their four districts for a twelfth consecutive election. Liga Chicano surprisingly lost four seats, including one district in Sonora previously though to be a solid LC seat, mostly to Reform and Constitution, a fact attributed to a perceived lack of direction in Congress.

With no party able to secure a majority, two coalitions emerged in the days following the election; the CDP-NRP and Reform-Constitution. Although the former had more seats, the later could call on the support of the Liga and Ecology in the House, whereas no other party was willing to support the CDP after the toxic Turner Administration. The Reform-Constitution coalition, led by Prime Minister Wendy Davis and Deputy Prime Minister Will Hurd, have identified further action on LGBT rights, including a vote on same-sex marriage, tax cuts for businesses and an improved approach to immigration from Latin America as the key issues for their administration.

idwOtHl.png

Last edited:
Presidents and Prime Ministers of Texas

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
And here's the followup with the Presidents and Prime Ministers of Texas. Again credit to @wolfram for all the work on these:

rd293tC.png

Presidents of the Republic of Texas (1836–)
11. 1836–1838 Sam Houston (Independent) (1st)
12. 1838–1841 Mirabeau B. Lamar (Independent)
13. 1841–1844 Sam Houston (Independent, then Reform) (2nd)
14. 1844–1852 Thomas J. Rusk (Republican)
15. 1852–1863 Sam Houston† (Reform) (3rd)
16. 1863–1864 Elisha M. Pease (Reform) (1st)
17. 1864–1868 Peter Hansborough Bell (Republican)
18. 1868–1876 Richard Coke (Christian Democratic)
19. 1876–1882 Elisha M. Pease (Reform) (2nd)
10. 1882–1888 Richard B. Hubbard (Christian Democratic)
11. 1888–1894 John H. Reagan (Christian Democratic)
12. 1894–1900 Jim Hogg (Reform)
13. 1900–1906 Charles Allen Culberson (Reform)
14. 1906–1912 Albert S. Burleson (Christian Democratic)
15. 1912–1918 Joseph W. Bailey (Christian Democratic)
16. 1918–1924 William P. Hobby (Reform)
17. 1924–1930 Morris Sheppard (Reform)
18. 1930–1936 Jesse H. Jones (Christian Democratic)
19. 1936–1942 James V. Alfred (Reform)
20. 1942–1948 Coke Stevenson (Christian Democratic)
21. 1948–1954 Ralph Yarborough (Reform)
22. 1954–1960 Allan Shivers (Christian Democratic)
23. 1960–1966 John Burroughs (Reform)
24. 1966–1972 Lyndon B. Johnson (Reform)
25. 1972–1978 John Connally (Christian Democratic)
26. 1978–1984 Bill Clements (Christian Democratic)
27. 1984–1990 Lloyd Bentsen (Reform)
28. 1990–1996 John Fife Symington (Christian Democratic)
29. 1996–2002 Ann Richards (Reform)
30. 2002–2008 Kay Bailey Hutchison (Christian Democratic)
31. 2008–2014 Rick Perry (Christian Democratic)
32. 2014–2020 Susana Martínez (Christian Democratic)
33. 2020–2026 Wendy Davis (Reform)

Prime Ministers of the Republic of Texas (1876–)
11. 1876–1882 Richard B. Hubbard (Christian Democratic majority)
12. 1882–1897 Lawrence Sullivan Ross (Christian Democratic minority, then Christian DemocraticRepublican majority coalition)
13. 1897–1903 George C. Pendleton (ReformLiberal majority coalition)
14. 1903–1912 Joseph W. Bailey (Christian DemocraticRepublicanProgressive majority coalition)
15. 1912–1918 William P. Hobby (ReformLiberal majority coalition, then Wartime Coalition)
16. 1918–1921 Sam Ealy Johnson Jr. (Reform majority)
17. 1921–1924 Albert B. Hall (Christian DemocraticProgressive minority coalition)
18. 1924–1930 Robert E. Thomason (Reform majority)
19. 1930–1936 John Nance Garner (Christian Democratic majority)
10. 1936–1942 Coke Stevenson (Christian Democratic minority)
11. 1942–1945 Clinton P. Anderson (Reform minority)
12. 1945–1951 Price Daniel Sr. (Christian Democratic majority)
13. 1951–1957 Lyndon B. Johnson (Reform majority) (1st)
14. 1957–1960 Paul Fannin (Christian Democratic minority)
15. 1960–1966 Lyndon B. Johnson (Reform majority) (2nd)
16. 1966–1969 Stewart Udall (Reform majority)
17. 1969–1973 Burton Barr (Christian Democratic majority, then Christian Democratic minority)
18. 1973–1975 Ben Barnes (Christian Democratic minority)
19. 1975–1981 Raúl Héctor Castro (Reform majority)
20. 1981–1987 James M. Collins (Christian Democratic majority)
21. 1987–1993 Rose Mifford (Reform majority)
22. 1993–1996 John Kyl (Christian Democratic minority)
23. 1996–2005 Guillermo Richardson (Reform majority, then Reform minority)
24. 2005–2017 David Dewhurst (Christian Democratic majority, then Christian Democratic minority)
25. 2017–2017 Scott Turner (Christian DemocraticNational Renewal majority coalition)
26. 2017–2020 Wendy Davis (ReformConstitutional Union minority coalition)

wyyQhJ1.png

Last edited:
So a random thought I was looking at the map on page 2 and it showed the Bahamas as a part of Florida but I looked at the Florida election map and Bahamas was not on there so is the Bahamas a part of Florida or an overseas territory or not at all.

Well it's not on the list of overseas territories. It would be logical to have it as part of the West Indies (I mean it is in our world, but then so is Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands...)

btw, what happened when the lease ran out in Hong Kong? did it get re-newed unlike TTL? or bought outright?

Completely separate random question, it's not really political, but what's the armed forces look like ITTL? Is there a single Royal Navy, Army, etc controlled by the Imperial Parliament, drawn from all constituent countries like the UK? What size would it be, I guess the RN at least would be pretty big to have forces in all the countries/territories in the UKE

So a random thought I was looking at the map on page 2 and it showed the Bahamas as a part of Florida but I looked at the Florida election map and Bahamas was not on there so is the Bahamas a part of Florida or an overseas territory or not at all.

The Bahamas are part of Carolina, not Florida or the West Indies. Historical ties between Charleston/Savannah and the Lucayan Peninsula during the 17th Century has to do with it.

@gunnerkite , the Armed Forces are broadly set up like THIS. As far as a specific OOB, I'm doing some research on it myself, but I'm certain any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated.

The Bahamas are part of Carolina, not Florida or the West Indies. Historical ties between Charleston/Savannah and the Lucayan Peninsula during the 17th Century has to do with it.

@gunnerkite , the Armed Forces are broadly set up like THIS. As far as a specific OOB, I'm doing some research on it myself, but I'm certain any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks I honestly never would have guessed that but thinking of it the Bahamas is more culturally connected with the Carolina's than Florida.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Or would Bahamas belong in the West Indies.
Well it's not on the list of overseas territories. It would be logical to have it as part of the West Indies (I mean it is in our world, but then so is Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands...)
Thanks I honestly never would have guessed that but thinking of it the Bahamas is more culturally connected with the Carolina's than Florida.

As @FleetMac has mentioned the Bahamas are part of Carolina ITTL. Historic links between the mainland colony of Carolina and the Lucayan Archipelago meant that the islands joined the Dominion of Carolina in the 1910s. I'm considering having the state named "Lucaya" as it includes the OTL Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands.

Hopefully Carolina will be getting a post/update very soon :)

btw, what happened when the lease ran out in Hong Kong? did it get re-newed unlike TTL? or bought outright?

With China as part of the Axis during WW2, Hong Kong was occupied and returned to Britain after the war. The treaty that ended the East Asian Theatre of the Second World War, and the Chinese Civil War ceded Hong Kong, Macau, Ryojin (OTL Lüshunkou) and Kouang-Tchéou-Wan to their respective nations (Britain, Portugal, Japan and France) in perpetuity.

Completely separate random question, it's not really political, but what's the armed forces look like ITTL? Is there a single Royal Navy, Army, etc controlled by the Imperial Parliament, drawn from all constituent countries like the UK? What size would it be, I guess the RN at least would be pretty big to have forces in all the countries/territories in the UKE

The British Armed Forces are under the control of the Imperial Parliament, but each dominion maintains a militia analogue to the OTL American National Guard. In terms of size, the Royal Navy is comparable, if not larger than the OTL US Navy, and is definitely the pride of the forces, but there is a also a separate Royal Coast Guard which fulfils a similar role to the OTL US Coast Guard.

What would the HDI's of each state in the empire be?

I've only just realised that I don't have a definitive list of each dominion's HDI!! How embarrassing :p My assumption would be broadly between 0.7 and 0.9.

I was looking at the map and I didn't see the Panama Canal. Is there still a canal there ITTL?

Yes there are in fact two canals in TTL's Central America; the Nicaragua and Panama Canals.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has ever been officially posted, but how many seats are there in the Imperial Parliament overall? Is it possible that we might see an overall U.K.E. election infobox, or would its sheer size threaten to devour Wikipedia ITTL? :p

2015 British imperial election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I'm not sure if this has ever been officially posted, but how many seats are there in the Imperial Parliament overall? Is it possible that we might see an overall U.K.E. election infobox, or would its sheer size threaten to devour Wikipedia ITTL? :p

Ask and thou shalt receive ;)

I’ve had this sitting around for ages, but finally got round to finishing the write up. Hope you all enjoy it.

rd293tC.png

vVXNsAm.png
The 2015 British imperial election was held on 12 November 2015 to elect, under the mixed member proportional representation system, the 868 members of the Imperial House of Commons. 434 members are elected from single-seat constituencies, with each Home Nation guaranteed at least one seat, with the other 434 seats being allocated to closed party lists as "top up" seats based on each party's share of the popular vote. It was the first election at the end of a five-year Imperial Parliament since 1973.

The Party of Imperial Social Democrats and Progressives, led by incumbent Prime Minister Sylvia Lim of Singapore, and their coalition partners the Alliance of Imperial Liberals and Reformists and the Imperial Greens, led by Hillary Clinton of the Ohio Country and Elizabeth May of New England respectively, successful won a mandate for a second term in office. However they made a net loss of 16 seats, reducing their size in the House from 497 to 481 seats, with the Social Democrats losing 8, the Liberals losing 12 and the Greens gaining 4 seats. The governing coalition was re-elected handily due to the growth in the British economy, increased investment in the NHS and British Imperial Rail, as well as a moderate approach to international diplomacy and relations with post-coup Iran and Venezuela. However many pundits attributed the loss of seats for the Social Democrats and the Liberals to over-confidence among voters about their re-election chances, and the surge in the Greens vote was due to their environmental credentials.

The opposition Imperial Conservatives, Democrats and Unionists, under leader Mitt Romney of New England, made a gain of 2 seats and replaced the Liberals as the second largest party in the House. However despite strong showings in opinion polls prior to the election, the Conservatives performed poorly in the popular vote, a fact attributed to Romney's lacklustre performance in the debates against the more eloquent and charismatic Lim and Clinton. Romney was also heavily criticised for undertaking an international trip to the Levant, Texas and the European Union which many considered to fall outside of his remit as opposition leader, as well as repeatedly making "off the cuff" remarks that seemed insensitive and crass. The Conservatives also suffered over their campaign pledge to reduce government spending and the budget deficit by cutting non-essential expensive programs, however they scored positively in their promise to reduce British military involvement in Nigeria and gradually replace it with a West African-led force.

British Heritage, the right-wing, socially conservative nationalist party, had recently elected Sarah Palin of Oregon as leader, replacing Tom Tancredo of Missouri. Despite Palin's popularity amongst the party membership, she failed to capitalise on the differences between herself and her predecessors, namely being a young woman, and her debate performance was heavily criticised for failing to convey a clear and consistent message. The broad-tent Alliance of Regions, which is made up of the various centre, centre-left and left-wing regionalist and nationalist parties across the Empire, saw significant gains at this election, mainly across Florida, Louisiana and the Ohio Country, with many calling it the "generational up-swing in support for devolution". Spokesperson Nikolai Szilagyi of Alaska was credited with the result and his successful treading of the fine line between those member parties seeking independence, and those seeking stronger regional powers.

The moderate conservative and socially liberal Imperial Progressive Conservative Association, led by John Tory of Canada, saw a surge in support across the Empire, largely trading off the growth in their affiliate parties in England and New England. Their campaign centred around balanced budgets, increased protections for minorities and a pledge to gradually cut non-essential government programs and reform of the state welfare system. The Libertarian Party of Great Britannia went into the election battered and bruised after a leadership spill replaced Bob Barr of Carolina with Marie Ruwart of the Ohio Country, a surprise given the party's tendency for long serving leaders. Ruwart's campaign never really got off the ground, and a pledge for tax reductions was seen as a blatant vote grabbing strategy, which completely collapsed when Elizabeth May demanded she explain how that would affect social security and the welfare state. Ultimately the party saw a disappointing election night result, although Ruwart has remained as leader, a fact many have attributed to there being no obvious successor, although rumours have suggested that Rand Paul of Virginia may mount a leadership bid in the future. The left-wing Imperial Socialist Labour Party, under new leader Donald Ramotar of the West Indies, made modest gains at this election although nowhere near the heights of the party's founding in 1973. The SLP campaigned on a platform of increased taxes for the top 1%, whilst reducing those affecting the poorest in the country, a plan to reduce homelessness and get people back into work and a pledge to introduce a "living wage". They also continued their support for trade unions and worker's rights, as well as pursuing eco-friendly policies and a pledge to reduce the government's carbon footprint.

The right-wing populist People's Alliance for Democracy, under long time leader Nigel Farage of England, gained two seats at this election as they played to their conservative base. Farage's rhetoric on immigration, Islam, and relations with the European Union, among other things was heavily criticised by the leaders of the other parties, although Sarah Palin refused to outright condemn his comments on Muslims. Team Trump, the right-wing political vehicle established by businessman and Imperial Councillor Donald Trump, failed to enter the Imperial Parliament, being excluded from the leader debates, although Farage and Trump both appeared to support the other's position on numerous issues. The British Republican Movement, which advocates for the abolition of the monarchy and its replacement with a republic, had both MIPs re-elected and saw a minor upswing in their share of the popular vote, however this was attributed more to the personal popularity of individual candidates rather than a minute shift in support for a British republic. Co-leaders Dennis Murray (Sandusky) and Sebastian Teo (Northwest Singapore) both returned to the Imperial Parliament.

6VZFusQ.png

Last edited: