Hail, Britannia

How about a piece on Hurricane Harvey?
Oh, gosh, here we go.
First, some background. Houston gets hit by a hurricane every couple years, because that's what happens when you build a city right at the end of the Atlantic hurricane shootin' range. Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike, and now Harvey.
In 2001 Tropical Storm Allison hit Houston and 23 people died. Four years later, Hurricane Rita was on its way. This was right after Katrina hit New Orleans, remember, and two and a half million people hit the freeways and headed out. The traffic jam lasted for 48 hours. 107 people died, from heat exhaustion and bus fires and all kinds of other stuff, in the evacuation from a storm which missed Houston entirely.
Yesterday, President Martinez and Governor Poe advised that Houstonians evacuate, while Mayor Garcia advised that people shelter in place. I agree with Mayor Garcia, though I'm biased - the residents of Brazoria County, which is under evacuation orders, needs to use these roads, and if Houston's cars clot them up that's a recipe for disaster. Don't just take my word for it - Francisco Sanchez, the Harris County spokesman of emergency operations, tweeted "LOCAL LEADERS KNOW BEST" yesterday.
Anyway, I'm sitting here in Houston listening to the rain and the thunder. Just, you know, wanted to share.

BBC News Brief
5SR65oB.png
-Hurricane Harvey, a powerful Category 4 storm, is currently battering the Gulf coast of Texas. The storm, the most powerful on record since Hurricane Katrina ravaged Louisiana and flooded New Orleans, brought storm surges as high as eight feet and threatens cities like Corpus Christi and Port Aransas with severe flooding. The worst of the flooding has been constricted to Houston, where over 2000 rooftop evacuations were performed in the last 48 hours as floodwaters continue to rise. Texan President Susana Martinez has declared a state of emergency and described the event as “the worst natural disaster to ever effect Texas.”

-Floyd Mayweather has beaten Conor McGregor in a widely watched fight that became the source of heated controversy online due to the racial undertones leading up to the event; Mayweather knocked out McGregor in the tenth round, winning the match and claiming his 51st straight victory to claim the record.

-The Queen-Empress toured the Palace of Westminster for the first time since completion, making only brief remarks during the visit as the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks approached. It was Her Majesty’s first public appearance since the Duke of Edinburgh stood down from public life. Afterwards, a large number of the construction workers who participated in the rebuilding effort were hosted as the guests of honor at a Buckingham Palace garden party.

Last edited:
Just a little nitpick but Harvey was a Cat-4 storm, not a Cat-3 when it made landfall.
I can't seem to get the blue BBC logo to display for whatever it's worth. I know its prefered to be used so I'll keep working at it.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Right I'm back :) And I've finished the QBAM version of the world map. Hopefully there will be the redone New England election up tonight and maybe a News Brief.

7ayLMKB.png

Credit to the amazing people at The QBAM Thread for the Base Map.

Last edited:
If you notice on the new map there's a new country in South America. That's the Realm of Patagonia. The idea for this comes from the OTL Welsh colonisation of Patagonia (Y Wladfa) which, in keeping with the theme of a less linguistic-uniform New World, is more of a success here. Lei and I were discussing it and the idea of it joining the Empire as the 31st Home Nation was brought up but after consideration, we came to the conclusion that Patagonia would work better as an independent country.

Now, Patagonia isn't all-Welsh. It has a good chunk of Spanish-speaking immigrants from Argentina and Chile that creates tension as the country is more or less half-Welsh, half-Spanish and whatnot. There's tensions between people like Néstor Kirchner [who has a major role] who sees it as a South American nation and others who see it as a part of the Commonwealth. And of course, there's immigrants as well who have a different perspective.

Modern Patagonia is a country of contrasts. It has a quite considerable rural hinterland, but also thriving cities on the coast such as Gaiman and Rio Gallegos. The primary sector [whaling, livestock, agriculture] were dominant for the country's early years, but coal mining and oil extraction has brought wealth to the country, leading to industrialisation and later on the growth of a comfortable middle-class. Also important to note is that Patagonia is a bilingual country, with Welsh and Spanish being primary languages of circa 45% of the populace each [that 10% left over is immigrant communities] and there's tensions here as Hispanophones turn their eyes to Argentina, Chile and South America while Cambrophones look at the "Old Country" and the massive empire it's a part of. Patagonia's politics has been drastically affected by all of this.

I hope that we can tell the story of Patagonia here well. There'll be some familiar faces if you know Argentine politics, but there'll also be quite a bit of fictional characters mainly representing the Welsh-Patagonian community.

The current Prime Minister, she's very much real, though.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
How is India doing?

Well it's a federal parliamentary government with a ceremonial monarch, titled the Badishah, who reigns for life or until resignation and is elected from amongst the heads of the princely states. The darker purple in India are the princely states, all constitutional monarchies with ceremonial heads, whilst the lighter purples are territories governed as parliamentary republics. Some princely states have been incorporated as "autonomous regions" into the larger non-royal states. In OTL Gujarat and Rajasthan the smaller princely states have united into three larger states, and they are run as basically smaller versions of the Federation of India.

The governance of India can get quite messy, in some areas with overlapping federal, state and princely responsibilities, and much of it is a holdover from the British Raj.

If you notice on the new map there's a new country in South America. That's the Realm of Patagonia. The idea for this comes from the OTL Welsh colonisation of Patagonia (Y Wladfa) which, in keeping with the theme of a less linguistic-uniform New World, is more of a success here. Lei and I were discussing it and the idea of it joining the Empire as the 31st Home Nation was brought up but after consideration, we came to the conclusion that Patagonia would work better as an independent country.

AWESOME SNIP

Awesome concept! What would the population be, and the capital would be...?

Keep up the good work, @Turquoise Blue!

Last edited:
Well it's a federal parliamentary government with a ceremonial monarch, titled the Badishah, who reigns for life or until resignation and is elected from amongst the heads of the princely states. The darker purple in India are the princely states, all constitutional monarchies with ceremonial heads, whilst the lighter purples are territories governed as parliamentary republics. Some princely states have been incorporated as "autonomous regions" into the larger non-royal states. In OTL Gujarat and Rajasthan the smaller princely states have united into three larger states, and they are run as basically smaller versions of the Federation of India.

The governance of India can get quite messy, in some areas with overlapping federal, state and princely responsibilities, and much of it is a holdover from the British Raj.

Is there a Pakistan movement, or any other separatist movement like the Khalistan movement?