WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As for Star Trek merchandise, we're a year away IRL from Franz Joseph's Starfleet technical manual, which was published in 1975, so I might write something about him soon...

Chapter 89: July 1974
1580342.jpg

Short update tonight, one update is at the end of June and two are in July.

NIXON HAS NO IMMUNITY FROM PROSECUTION

Washington Post, June 29, 1974

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously that former President Richard Nixon does not hold any executive privilege that can be used to withhold evidence, and also determined that a President has no privilege against prosecution. In Nixon v. United States, all nine justices determined that a President cannot shield himself from the law by using the concept of executive privilege in terms of not turning over evidence to the Department of Justice. The Court narrowly ruled, 5-4 against Nixon, that a president can be prosecuted for acts committed while in office, either while holding the office or afterward. In the first ruling, Chief Justice Warren Burger wrote for the unanimous court that "no person, not even the President of the United States, is completely above the law." In the second ruling, Justice Burger, writing for the majority that included Justices Brennan, Marshall, Stewart and Blackmun, determined that "actions determined to be illegal by a grand jury also apply for a President of the United States, regardless of whether that individual holds the office or not." Byron White, writing in dissent, argued that "a president while in office should not be prosecuted because it causes significant damage to the function of the government. In such cases, the Vice President must assume the office of the Presidency and invoke the 25th amendment, which the government did not argue as part of its brief." As a result of this ruling, President Nixon must stand trial for charges of obstruction of justice and conspiracy, with the trial to be held in September. Nixon was granted the right to remain out of prison, travel in Washington D.C. and the surrounding states of Maryland and Virginia, and is allowed to travel home to California in cases of emergency as terms of his pre-trial hearing.

RACE FOR CONGRESS DEADLOCKED AS NEITHER PARTY IS POPULAR

July 11, 1974

In the upcoming midterm elections, the American people are showing two thumbs down, one for each of the major parties. The Republicans, tainted by scandal and seemingly directionless, are not capitalizing as the party out of power, which normally occurs during a midterm election. A Gallup poll found that the Republicans and Democrats are tied at 45 percent each in congressional preference polling, with 10 percent undecided. The Washington Post commissioned its own poll, and found that the Democrats have a two point lead, 46 percent to 44 percent, based on the strength of the Medicare expansion passed last year by President Muskie and the Democratic Congress. However, with a stagnant economy shocked by OPEC, higher gas prices, inflation and an unemployment rate at 6.3 percent, the Democrats are not in the clear, and are seen by the public as too concerned about what they think of former President Nixon. "Neither party is addressing the needs of the American people right now," Louis Harris said in an interview with the Post. "Republicans are seriously damaged by the Nixon administration and need to move on. They have no standard bearer. The highest ranking Republicans in Congress are Gerald Ford and Hugh Scott, and nobody is seriously considering them as presidential timber in 1976." As for the Democrats, Harris noted, "Muskie did very well with the Medicare expansion, and that is the reason why they are not trailing right now. However, they have to figure out how to deal with this economy. People vote their pocketbooks, and the economy is not performing well right now. Democrats have to figure out how to boost that economy before the midterms, or they will lose seats in both houses of Congress, despite the deep unpopularity of the Republican Party at the present time."

LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL PASSES ANTI-DISCRIMINATION ORDINANCE

July 17, 1974

The Los Angeles City Council has declared that employers within its city limits are not allowed to discriminate in hiring practices based on race, creed, gender, or sexual orientation. The legislation is largely ceremonial towards federal employers, but affects local and state businesses. George Takei, who wrote the legislation, was able to enact it by a one vote margin, 8-7; the ordinance was signed by Mayor Tom Bradley yesterday. "This piece of legislation will dramatically improve Los Angeles in terms of the lives of the underprivileged and discriminated," Takei said. "I was most proud of adding the sexual orientation language in the bill. My fellow council members discouraged me from including that language, but I was determined to make sure that all disadvantaged groups were included to the greatest extent possible." Mayor Bradley commended Takei on his fortitude. "For a newcomer to politics, Mr. Takei is a strong representative for his council district who stands for what he believes in, even if it is unpopular," Bradley said. "I know his previous career was in acting, but he's got a long career in politics if he wants it. We need more people like George in our politics, not fewer."

Last edited:
A Review of the Timeline
OK, this timeline has gone on for an extremely long time without a summary, so I will provide the Reader's Digest version of all the major events in this timeline for those who don't want to read 23 pages of posts.

1. IRL, Star Trek was placed in a 10 PM Friday night time slot in its third season by NBC in order to kill the series. ITTL, Star Trek is given the Monday 8:00 PM time slot, where it is able to thrive because it attracts a different audience than Gunsmoke, CBS's famous Western in that timeslot.
2. In exchange for pleasing all the rest of the principals involved in this 8:00 PM time slot, NBC tells Gene Roddenberry to take a break from the series for a year to handle personal matters, and to get Roddenberry out of the way, because he's always been fighting with the network. Robert Justman, who was associate producer of Star Trek IRL, becomes the executive producer, and he hires D.C. Fontana to run the creative side of things. Justman has a much better working relationship with NBC ITTL than Gene.
3. Justman ITTL tasks Fontana to write the series as more of an action adventure space Western than it was in its first two seasons, and Fontana creates an arc of six episodes (a Federation-Romulan conflict) that captivates the television audience. The last of the six episodes is a story which involves Lieutenant Uhura taking command of the Enterprise in an emergency and fighting off the Romulans, ending the arc. The viewing public and television critics view this episode as historic because it places a temporary all-female cast in traditionally male roles, and expands the show's popularity.
4. Star Trek builds a massive audience on par with the top shows of the period in its third season, because it beats the competition on ABC and its audience does not cross over a whole lot with Gunsmoke. Star Trek starts to win ratings battles from time to time and becomes a top 10 show.
5. ITTL,the show develops so much of a following that even the legendary Cary Grant wants in for a couple of episodes to start the fourth season. Star Trek becomes arguably the top show on television in season four, winning four Emmys, including one for best series. Leonard Nimoy wins an Emmy for best supporting actor, David Gerrold wins an Emmy for an episode he writes called Tomorrow Was Yesterday, and Matt Jefferies and the technical crew win for special effects and set design.
6. However, the cost of producing the Federation-Romulan conflict in the third season causes the series to run one episode short, and the cost of the big guest stars (Grant, Milton Berle, and Ann-Margret) in the fourth season causes the show to go over its budget ITTL. Paramount executive Doug Cramer, in charge of the series, fires Justman in the middle of the fourth season, but the Star Trek actors, upon hearing this, go on strike and save Justman's job for most of the rest of the season.
7. At the end of the fourth season ITTL, Roddenberry wants back in and has a meeting with Cramer, who fires Justman, this time for good. William Shatner is fed up and goes public with his complaints. This causes Cramer to want to cancel the series on the spot, but NBC wants another season of Star Trek because it is winning ratings battles. Cramer acquiesces and green-lights the fifth season. Cramer eventually becomes a fan of the series and produces a Star Trek TV movie after the series is cancelled.
8. Shatner and Nimoy are actually OK with the series ending after 5 years. Shatner wants to be a big movie star and Nimoy doesn't want to play Spock anymore, and leaves in the middle of the fifth season. ITTL, Will Decker and Xon, who are characters in the aborted Phase II IRL, become part of the second half of season five ITTL. A young Tom Selleck is cast to play Decker.
9. Star Trek reunites the Beatles for a world tour in 1971. Paul McCartney and John Lennon decide to appear in the fifth season premiere, and resolve their differences.
10. ITTL, DeForest Kelley wins a best supporting actor Emmy for season 5, but the show fails to repeat as best series, although it is nominated.
11. ITTL, Shatner is shut out of major movie roles because he went public with his complaints, but eventually becomes Steve Austin on The Six Million Dollar Man.
12. IRL, Shatner is the most decorated TOS actor. ITTL, Nimoy becomes the most decorated TOS actor, because he lands a role in Fiddler on the Roof and wins a Best Supporting Actor Oscar to go with his supporting actor Emmy.
13. DeForest Kelley ITTL goes on to become Peter Falk's sidekick in Columbo.
14. James Doohan ITTL voices cartoons for a few years and finally lands a movie role as the villainous husband in The Stepford Wives (1975).
15. George Takei goes into politics and wins a seat on the LA City Council.
16. Walter Koenig writes a book about Russian inventions that is critically acclaimed by the New York Times.
17. Nichelle Nichols goes back to Broadway after a role in SHAFT, where she collaborates with Isaac Hayes on his album. She declines all future blaxploitation movie roles and lands roles in Grease (and will land a starring role in Chicago in 1975, where she will become a huge Broadway star).

In politics:

1. Instead of continuing Vietnamization IRL, President Nixon expands the war in Vietnam in an effort to win ITTL, causing the Republicans to get walloped in the 1970 midterms. Nixon is able to produce an armistice right after the 1970 midterms ITTL, but it doesn't hold as North Vietnam's Le Duan is assassinated and Nixon's CIA overthrows the South Vietnamese Thieu government for Nguyen Cao Ky in April 1971.
2. Nixon goes to China in 1971 in order to preserve the peace in Vietnam and open up China. IRL, Nixon went to China in 1972.
3. When the Vietnam War resumes in May 1971, the US Army and South Vietnamese are ready for the North, and fight off their offensive. Operation Linebacker I and II occur in 1971 and early 1972 ITTL. IRL they both occur in 1972.
4. Nixon's apparent success in Vietnam is still not rewarded by the American public, who have turned against the war irretrievably. The economy suffers two recessions, in 1971 and 1972. The 1971 recession actually occurred IRL, but there was no recession in 1972 IRL.
5. Watergate occurs as IRL, but the Democrats capitalize this time on the scandal, because they nominate Edmund Muskie ITTL instead of George McGovern. The 1972 presidential campaign is extremely close most of the way, with Nixon holding a narrow polling lead.
6. Spiro Agnew's kickbacks scandal breaks during the 1972 campaign. IRL, it did not break until 1973.
7. Nixon's dealings with Anna Chennault are revealed towards the end of the 1972 campaign ITTL. IRL, voters in 1972 did not know about this.
8. Edmund Muskie ITTL wins a cliffhanger election against Nixon. California is the decisive state and Muskie wins by a couple of thousand votes out of 8 million cast.
9. Nixon believes there are hijinks in California and files a lawsuit that goes to the Supreme Court ITTL, like Al Gore in 2000 in Florida IRL. Nixon loses the case and Muskie is elected.
10. Muskie passes a Medicare expansion that covers all American families, and environmental reforms that clean up big business.
11. Nixon is indicted for conspiracy and obstruction of justice ITTL due to his actions regarding Watergate, as the tapes are leaked in 1973. IRL, we didn't know about the tapes until the Supreme Court forced Nixon to turn them over in 1974.
12. Ronald Reagan thinks President Muskie is weak on communism ITTL and is considering a 1976 run. With no GOP standard bearer, it is likely that Reagan will be the frontrunner. IRL, President Ford narrowly won the 1976 Republican primary over Reagan.

Last edited:
So at this point in the TL, I also have to introduce the animated series, since it occurs one year later than OTL (TAS was 22 cartoons, 16 in 1973 and 6 in 1974). My hope for TTL is to have 48 episodes (16 stories for three seasons, in 1974, 1975 and 1976). I have to run through the episode list I made to see which TAS cartoons IRL I can still use for TTL's cartoon. I also have to run through the Bantam Books series in the late 70s, to see if I can turn those stories into cartoons for TTL. So I have to do a little reading on Memory Beta for the next couple of days to refine what I want to write, as there will be episode updates again for the cartoon...

Last edited:
So at this point in the TL, I also have to introduce the animated series, since it occurs one year later than OTL (TAS was 22 cartoons, 16 in 1973 and 6 in 1974). My hope for TTL is to have 48 episodes (16 stories for three seasons, in 1974, 1975 and 1976). I have to run through the episode list I made to see which TAS cartoons IRL I can still use for TTL's cartoon. I also have to run through the Bantam Books series in the late 70s, to see if I can turn those stories into cartoons for TTL. So I have to do a little reading on Memory Beta for the next couple of days to refine what I want to write, as there will be episode updates again for the cartoon...
Don't think that Spoke must Die , will be acceptable with 70's Saturday Morning TV censors .
Only one of the Bantam books that I remember,

Last edited:
Given the OPEC crisis now might be a good time for someone to introduce solar panels, wind tribunes etc- all tech invented in the 60-70’s and if a big country like the USA gets involved and ram down the prices of such. NASA might be able to make cash off it if their solar panels are commercially viable.

What is going on with US support for authoritarian regimes globally? Any change in game plan especially given oil production?
Any chance of butterflying the IranIan revolution?
Where has Star Trek reached globally now? Is it showing in more countries than otl?
What is Tom Selleck up to post Decker?

Given the OPEC crisis now might be a good time for someone to introduce solar panels, wind tribunes etc- all tech invented in the 60-70’s and if a big country like the USA gets involved and ram down the prices of such. NASA might be able to make cash off it if their solar panels are commercially viable.

What is going on with US support for authoritarian regimes globally? Any change in game plan especially given oil production?
Any chance of butterflying the IranIan revolution?
Where has Star Trek reached globally now? Is it showing in more countries than otl?
What is Tom Selleck up to post Decker?
Good point on the solar panels. They are potentially available in this time period and could be introduced earlier to more widespread use ITTL. However, IRL, Reagan took the solar panels off the White House that Carter placed there. I could write a story about Muskie promoting solar energy if you want, which would make sense since he was an environmentalist IRL. NASA I believe put solar panels on Skylab IRL (will have to check on that) so the tech is obviously there.

President Muskie is not as supportive of authoritarian regimes and commits less aid to them, especially authoritarian regimes in the Middle East. He however has to bend on Egypt because he wants an Israel-Egypt peace deal. I'll have to write a story on that as well.

Star Trek is huge in the UK and becoming huge in France, Germany and other parts of Western Europe ITTL. It is also a cult hit in Japan and South Korea. Other countries show it but it is not as popular, and obviously the Warsaw Pact/Iron Curtain nations think it is American propaganda.

Tom Selleck is on the Young and the Restless and doing various small TV and movie roles in 1974.

marathag

Banned
Photoelectric Solar panels were just too low efficiency in the '80s, and expensive.
Now doing Thermal Solar, to heat or at least preheat water, that was working in the '70s.
Heat Pumps were also starting to be an option at this time, more production would get efficiency of scale in there to drop the price.
But not PE Panels. Just too soon

Photoelectric Solar panels were just too low efficiency in the '80s, and expensive.
Now doing Thermal Solar, to heat or at least preheat water, that was working in the '70s.
Heat Pumps were also starting to be an option at this time, more production would get efficiency of scale in there to drop the price.
But not PE Panels. Just too soon
This is actually important information for me to reference, thanks for it

Chapter 90: August 1974
Tomorrow we'll have episode updates again, this time for the cartoon. I used up 9 of the 22 TAS episodes so I have 13 RL episodes available to me, so I have to make up the difference from somewhere. Today will be a short update. President Muskie will promote renewable energy and electric vehicles as a response to the oil shock, and D.C. Fontana talks to Variety about the beginning of the Star Trek cartoon.

MUSKIE PROMOTES ALTERNATIVE SOURCES OF ENERGY IN PRESS CONFERENCE

August 13, 1974

President Muskie responded to questions about OPEC's oil embargo and resulting recession by decrying the country's undeniable need for oil imports. He demanded American industry produce solutions that would reduce the nation's dependence on foreign oil, such as the development of electric automobiles, solar panels for houses, and wind turbines. "I believe there needs to be an energy revolution in this country," Muskie said when responding to Helen Thomas of the United Press International. "We need renewable power. We can create wind turbines and hydroelectric plants right now, like the Hoover Dam, to power portions of the country if we have the political will for such a change. In the next few years, I believe we can produce photoelectric solar panels for American homes." President Muskie's most notable statement involved electric cars. "I think automobiles powered by electricity should be a priority for Ford and General Motors," Muskie said. "Part of the reason why we are consuming so much oil is because we must use automobiles with gas tanks. Perhaps it is possible to create automobiles powered in a cleaner way so we will not be in hock to OPEC if they decide to raise oil prices again." Republicans in Congress assailed the President for his stances. "I think wind power is feasible, but solar panels for houses and electric cars? That's not possible in the next two years," said House minority leader Gerald Ford of Michigan. "Do the autoworkers in Michigan have the ability to build such a vehicle at this time? I think it will take decades for this technology to develop, and we are in an oil crisis now. We simply have to produce more oil until the technology catches up."

FONTANA: TREK ACTORS EXCITED TO REUNITE FOR CARTOON

August 20, 1974

Star Trek cartoon producer D.C. Fontana, a writer and associate producer on the live action series, was in a bubbly mood about the prospects of her animated series with the same name. "We have some great stories, both from professional writers and from our brilliant fandom," Fontana said, when discussing the cartoon, which will premier next month on NBC television. "I think the cartoon will appeal both to fans of the original live-action show and children who were too young to remember the series," Fontana noted. "We wanted to write stories appropriate for children, but with appeal for adults as well, and I believe we succeeded in that endeavor." Fontana was also thrilled to talk to and oversee the actors who made Star Trek famous. "They were all far more excited than I thought they would be for voice over work," Fontana continued. "I was extremely surprised. Leonard Nimoy has moved on to big films, William Shatner has moved to another major television series, as has DeForest Kelley. But once they read the scripts for the cartoon, they immediately reverted back to character, as if it was old times again." Fontana was a little discouraged by the fact that George Takei and Nichelle Nichols were extremely busy and could not appear in all the episodes. "We tried to get George and Nichelle in as many installments as possible, but their schedules did not permit it. So the fandom should not be disappointed if Sulu or Uhura are not present for some of the stories." Fontana promised one surprise. "There will be an alien on the series with a bald head," Fontana said. "I cannot reveal any more."

Last edited:
Also coming up soon: the 1974 midterms. IRL, the Democrats steamrolled the GOP because of Watergate, but ITTL, the Democrats are in power and are being blamed for a stagnant economy, so that cancels out the disadvantage for the Republicans. Therefore, I'm thinking that the midterm results will be inconclusive and the balance of power in Congress will be largely unchanged. I'll also have to list all 100 senators when I do that update because they will be different than OTL, now that I'll have covered three congressional elections (1970, 1972, 1974) and all the senators will have faced an election at least once...

I wonder if they will use Ilia or Xon in the Animated Series?
Is the Animated Series year 1 of a new 5 year mission or do the adventures fit in the Original Series?

Lets see those words turned into action Pres Muskie - you got Reagan gunning for your job next time out!

I wonder if they will use Ilia or Xon in the Animated Series?
Is the Animated Series year 1 of a new 5 year mission or do the adventures fit in the Original Series?

Lets see those words turned into action Pres Muskie - you got Reagan gunning for your job next time out!
Ilia will be in TAS. That's obviously the bald headed alien. The sexual stuff regarding Ilia in OTL's TMP won't be mentioned in the cartoon, but she will have empathic and some telepathic ability. TAS is going to be a two year extension of the 5 year mission, if I do three seasons of 16 episodes each.

Muskie trying to beat Reagan, even as an incumbent, is almost a Mission Impossible unless George Wallace runs, due to the breakdown of the Democratic coalition that occurs after the LBJ era. There's no reason for Wallace to run again though, so we're almost assured of the Reagan revolution in 1976. The question is who does he pick as VP, George HW Bush or someone else? Keep in mind, GHWB won't be CIA director in a Muskie presidency. Rufus Taylor, the deputy CIA director under LBJ, is the CIA director under Muskie ITTL.

The fact that Muskie even won ITTL is a minor miracle in itself! My initial plan was to give Nixon a second term.

A Reagan presidency starting in 1977 is going to be a very rough first term for him politically. He's going to have President Carter's problems IRL and he's going to be a vulnerable incumbent in 1980

Last edited:
It would be interesting if America avoids the swing so far to the 'right' this timeline. I'd imagine that would change the sci-fi of the alt late 70's and 80's quite a lot for example how much Utopia is in TNG.

Also a Reagan in 77 is not going to be able to swing as much deregulation etc as monetarism had not really taken over economics as much as it would later imho.

Reagan vs Hart in 80 would be a hard fight for Ronnie- Hart is young, charasmatic and not 'tainted' by a previous Admin (probably) so as long as he can keep it in his pants then he stands a good chance I'd have thought.

UK - US relations with a 77 Reagan would be interesting given the various social problems in the UK at the time, though some of that might be butterflied.

It would be interesting if America avoids the swing so far to the 'right' this timeline. I'd imagine that would change the sci-fi of the alt late 70's and 80's quite a lot for example how much Utopia is in TNG.

Also a Reagan in 77 is not going to be able to swing as much deregulation etc as monetarism had not really taken over economics as much as it would later imho.

Reagan vs Hart in 80 would be a hard fight for Ronnie- Hart is young, charasmatic and not 'tainted' by a previous Admin (probably) so as long as he can keep it in his pants then he stands a good chance I'd have thought.

UK - US relations with a 77 Reagan would be interesting given the various social problems in the UK at the time, though some of that might be butterflied.
The obvious WI for 1980 is Reagan vs. Ted Kennedy and I'll bet that's been tried by a few people on AH, just with Kennedy beating President Carter in the 1980 Democratic primary instead of Kennedy as challenger to an incumbent Reagan. Hart is an interesting choice but he's going to get hit with the Where's the Beef ad by Reagan just like he did by Fritz Mondale in the 1984 Democratic primary. Teddy, even with Chappaquiddick, still has a better chance than Hart in my opinion. Another possibility is to do the 1980 election in reverse with an untainted Jimmy Carter as the challenger to an incumbent Reagan, running as a Southern candidate who can unite the two wings of the Democratic party. I could also see someone like John Glenn running for president in this scenario. A President Glenn would never defund NASA, so if I really want to tie the Trek and the politics together, I could do a President Glenn treatment at some point

Last edited: