WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Once again, there is absolutely no chance I'm butterflying B5. As a matter of fact I'm giving Walter Koenig's Alfred Bester a much wider role, because he really got to show his acting range
Fair enough. I'd suggest adding the Telepath War into the main story (or as part the sequel series) since that never really happened OTL and we can bring back Bester as the main antagonist.

I agree. Perhaps this is why Intelligence feels so refreshing since it rarely focuses on a single ship but rather an organization that does wider scale and unique stories, with some of the original cast, no less.
Agreed.

It's also got political angles that could be really intriguing, if they were played right: geopolitics can be Byzantine, & when you throw in Romulans...:eek::cool::cool:
I'm more of the "why can't we have both?" camp
I can see a benefit. Not everybody's a Trekker. I just wouldn't miss "B5", myself.
but a JMS-led DS9 is actually a bit interesting if we were to butterfly B5.
It could be, at that. I have a sense it'd make for a better "DS9", which I'd heartily support. (If you haven't guessed, I'm a diehard Niner.;))
Not gonna lie, combining something like the Vorlons/Shadows and the Dominion sounds like an excellent idea for an ITTL Dominion faction.
I'll have to take your word on it.;)
I haven't done a time travel story
For which I heartily thank you. Even when they're done well (& a few have been), it gets pretty old...& you know they don't dare change anything (much). (Sisko becoming Gabriel Bell was a nice touch.)
we'll still have Q
:eek::eek::mad:
Also, you do realize, Q was a direct product of Gene rewriting Dorothy's "Farpoint" screenplay (without asking her...).

Last edited:
I was never a fan, so I'd save "DS9" & butterfly "B5". Author's choice wins.

Well...

The thing is, the Trekverse is bigger than just the ships & exploration, which "DS9" (& DS9) could (should!) have shown in great detail.

There's room in the Trekverse, IMO, for shows like "ST:SI", as well as hospital ship shows, "Starfleet JAG", a UFP variant on "West Wing", and just about anything else on prime time TV IRL, if the writers are prepared to take the challenge.

It's about perspective.

The "DS9" writers took a very narrow one. They blew a chance to do something really different and do it really well, with an exceptional cast perfectly suited for doing it.

Yeah, "DS9" was contrary to Gene's vision: it wasn't utopian (though there was the mandatory "everybody ends up friends" trope, which was a bit wearying). It did allow the writers to explore a lot of issues, & IMO that is what "Trek", as a franchise, has always been about.

It could just as easily have dealt with a lot more. Like, are holograms people? (Does that make Vic Fontaine a slave? :eek: ) How does the UFP economy actually operate? ("No cash", I expect, rather than the "no money" nonsense...) What are the actual requirements to qualify for UFP membership? (Did Bajor meet them? If not, why not, & which ones did it miss?) What are the ethics of experimental medical treatments? (Is Bashir violating patient rights by doing a surgery under Sisko's orders? {I'm thinking, here, of the EMH being ordered to operate on Torres, in "Nothing Human".)

Worf's defense, when accused of murder for firing on a defenseless ship, should have been handled by a station JAG officer, from an established JAG branch (to name just one case).

The writers sacrificed broad scope and real authenticity for simplicity and comfort...
The only real problem I had with DS9 was turning the Klingons into "Space Vikings" and going all-in on the warrior aspect. If there's one thing I feel like I do especially well ITTL is I make the Klingons rational actors in all my stories. In TMP ITTL the Klingons declare war on the Federation for almost the exact same reason Japan attacked the USA in WWII (Japan thought the USA was encroaching on their sphere of influence). Karlax in Starfleet Intelligence has that warrior credo about him but looks out for his interests and to some extent the interests of his friends on his team. Kruge actually has a reason why he is a villain; he lived on a Klingon colony world ceded to the Federation in a peace treaty and is bitter about it. The Klingon Empire is totalitarian because they believe it conveys an advantage, not simply for the sake of being mustachio-twirling villains; until they lose the war ITTL's TMP that was indeed the case.

The other thing I would have changed about DS9 (although this could have been a budget thing IRL) is I would have shown more of the Gamma Quadrant once the Dominion was being built up as the big bad. I think 98% of the action was in the Alpha Quadrant or with the Bajoran spirits in the wormhole. DS9 (and maybe even Voyager ITTL?) could explore the Alpha Quadrant.

Star Trek JAG and Star Trek West Wing are interesting concepts; I get a little bit into the politics within the Federation and Klingon Empire (and a little of the Romulans too) in Starfleet Intelligence...

Last edited:
Agreed.

It's also got political angles that could be really intriguing, if they were played right: geopolitics can be Byzantine, & when you throw in Romulans...:eek::cool::cool:

I can see a benefit. Not everybody's a Trekker. I just wouldn't miss "B5", myself.

It could be, at that. I have a sense it'd make for a better "DS9", which I'd heartily support. (If you haven't guessed, I'm a diehard Niner.;))

I'll have to take your word on it.;)

For which I heartily thank you. Even when they're done well (& a few have been), it gets pretty old...& you know they don't dare change anything (much). (Sisko becoming Gabriel Bell was a nice touch.)

:eek::eek::mad:
Also, you do realize, Q was a direct product of Gene rewriting Dorothy's "Farpoint" screenplay (without asking her...).
I would also change one big thing about the Dominion War in DS9, and that is have the Federation and Cardassians negotiating a peace treaty and the Cardassians pull the double cross

Sounds bad for Russia and Poland while silence about Japan makes me think they're getting big. Likely means Nakasone and that group in the LDP are in charge.

Sounds bad for Russia and Poland while silence about Japan makes me think they're getting big. Likely means Nakasone and that group in the LDP are in charge.
It's terrible for Poland because the Soviets have rolled the tanks in like Hungary 1956 and Czechoslovakia 1968 (and Czechoslovakia 1977-1982 ITTL), but Poland isn't backing down an inch. They got a taste of freedom and they want that freedom badly. The Soviet machinations will backfire on them badly though. The Iron Curtain ITTL will fall with more blood spilled, but it will most certainly fall.

I haven't really written much of anything about Japanese politics or foreign policy ITTL. I might get into the anime/manga (or get someone to help me with that)

Last edited:
It would arguably make for a better DS9. I do fear that the show will just take more from B5 since JMS would be actively involved but if the show wasn't all about the station anyways then fans will probably make less comparisons between the two than OTL.

The only real problem I had with DS9 was turning the Klingons into "Space Vikings" and going all-in on the warrior aspect. If there's one thing I feel like I do especially well ITTL is I make the Klingons rational actors in all my stories. In TMP ITTL the Klingons declare war on the Federation for almost the exact same reason Japan attacked the USA in WWII (Japan thought the USA was encroaching on their sphere of influence). Karlax in Starfleet Intelligence has that warrior credo about him but looks out for his interests and to some extent the interests of his friends on his team. Kruge actually has a reason why he is a villain; he lived on a Klingon colony world ceded to the Federation in a peace treaty and is bitter about it. The Klingon Empire is totalitarian because they believe it conveys an advantage, not simply for the sake of being mustachio-twirling villains; until they lose the war ITTL's TMP that was indeed the case.
TOS/TMP Klingons were simply the best. Hopefully, this extends into the TNG era, tribbles not included. ;)

The other thing I would have changed about DS9 (although this could have been a budget thing) is I would have shown more of the Gamma Quadrant once the Dominion was being built up as the big bad. I think 98% of the action was in the Alpha Quadrant or with the Bajoran spirits in the wormhole. DS9 (and maybe even Voyager ITTL?) could explore the Gamma Quadrant.
Didn't DS9 have a lot of outdoor set scenes even during the Dominion War? Seems like they forgot about the client races once the Dominion rushed through the wormhole during their initial invasion.

The only solution is to change the narrative of the war. Have the wormhole not fall early and become a major point of contention throughout the entire conflict (maybe even an extended Cold War before the Hot War actually starts). The Federation spreads its influence among the client races and even sparks rebellion through their actions. That is when the Dominion has had enough of their presence, leading to a battle at the wormhole and DS9 itself.

It would arguably make for a better DS9. I do fear that the show will just take more from B5 since JMS would be actively involved but if the show wasn't all about the station anyways then fans will probably make less comparisons between the two than OTL.

TOS/TMP Klingons were simply the best. Hopefully, this extends into the TNG era, tribbles not included. ;)

Didn't DS9 have a lot of outdoor set scenes even during the Dominion War? Seems like they forgot about the client races once the Dominion rushed through the wormhole during their initial invasion.

The only solution is to change the narrative of the war. Have the wormhole not fall early and become a major point of contention throughout the entire conflict (maybe even an extended Cold War before the Hot War actually starts). The Federation spreads its influence among the client races and even sparks rebellion through their actions. That is when the Dominion has had enough of their presence, leading to a battle at the wormhole and DS9 itself.
I almost want to treat the wormhole like a galactic Suez Canal with the Federation, Cardassians and Dominion all interested in the "galactic chokepoint". DS9 and the wormhole are agreed to as neutral space after the Cardassians are thrown off Bajor, but the Federation, Cardassians and Dominion are all angling for full control. The Federation in order to gain greater control tries to foment unrest in the Gamma Quadrant. The Cardassians are strong-armed into an alliance by the Dominion when Gul Dukat, prior to this point a character with complex morals who regrets his actions in the occupation of Bajor, betrays Cardassia and double-crosses the Federation by "claiming" the wormhole." The Dominion cross through the wormhole and the war begins.

Last edited:
I almost want to treat the wormhole like a galactic Suez Canal with the Federation, Cardassians and Dominion all interested in the "galactic chokepoint".
Then DS9 should not be so close to the wormhole. Maybe it's further away from the station, bringing a wholly different dynamic to not just the station but the entire war itself.

DS9 and the wormhole are agreed to as neutral space after the Cardassians are thrown off Bajor, but the Federation, Cardassians and Dominion are all angling for full control. The Federation in order to gain greater control tries to foment unrest in the Gamma Quadrant.
If you're angling for the more aggressive and imperialistic Bajor (since it reflects Israel ITTL), maybe the Bajorans have already occupied DS9 after their liberation and are simply loaning them to the Federation in order to bolster their military defense against the Cardassians and not just a peace offering to let them join the Federation.

The Federation in order to gain greater control tries to foment unrest in the Gamma Quadrant.
Maybe the Federation is doing this not just for political gain but also out of disgust for the Dominion's authoritarian tyranny across the Gamma Quadrant, seeing it as a justifiable act by the main characters only to bite them in the back once the Dominion is tired of their interference.

The Cardassians are strong-armed into an alliance by the Dominion when Gul Dukat, prior to this point a character with complex morals who regrets his actions in the occupation of Bajor, betrays Cardassia and double-crosses the Federation by "claiming" the wormhole." The Dominion cross through the wormhole and the war begins.
I want Dukat to have more personal reasons aside from the "strong-arming". Maybe he thinks that the Bajorans are a threat with the Federation at their back, especially after their latest war crimes against some other race (which the Federation conveniently ignores). Seeing the Federation as hypocrites and fearing for his own people's suffering at the hands of their former slaves causes them to ally with the Dominion.

It's terrible for Poland because the Soviets have rolled the tanks in like Hungary 1956 and Czechoslovakia 1968 (and Czechoslovakia 1977-1982 ITTL), but Poland isn't backing down an inch. They got a taste of freedom and they want that freedom badly. The Soviet machinations will backfire on them badly though. The Iron Curtain ITTL will fall with more blood spilled, but it will most certainly fall.

I haven't really written much of anything about Japanese politics or foreign policy ITTL. I might get into the anime/manga (or get someone to help me with that)
Well I can help on Japanese politics (and somewhat on anime and manga of the time).

But I will say this the Soviets will likely have a show of strength in the Pacific via their navy and air forces (Both naval aviation and regular air force),

The main person that either side has to worry about is the Pope.

The other issue is the chance of a hardliner coup in Moscow.

Well I can help on Japanese politics (and somewhat on anime and manga of the time).

But I will say this the Soviets will likely have a show of strength in the Pacific via their navy and air forces (Both naval aviation and regular air force),

The main person that either side has to worry about is the Pope.

The other issue is the chance of a hardliner coup in Moscow.
Some interesting ideas for the next update, and if that show of force in the Pacific occurs, the US, South Korea and Japan will be ready.

The hardliner coup already happened with an aging Gromyko the face of the Politburo, and Gorbachev imprisoned. This Soviet government will not last long. Gromyko’s health will decline rapidly like Andropov IRL and once he leaves this mortal coil in a few updates the Soviet Union will likely be leaderless…heralding the possible return of Gorby

Last thing for tonight...there might be an extra verse or two to "We Didn't Start the Fire" ITTL with all the stuff happening in the 70s and 80s that didn't happen IRL

Some interesting ideas for the next update, and if that show of force in the Pacific occurs, the US, South Korea and Japan will be ready.

The hardliner coup already happened with an aging Gromyko the face of the Politburo, and Gorbachev imprisoned. This Soviet government will not last long. Gromyko’s health will decline rapidly like Andropov IRL and once he leaves this mortal coil in a few updates the Soviet Union will likely be leaderless…heralding the possible return of Gorby
I can help on Japan if you need it.

But if the Pope goes to Poland, the Soviets will lose.

I like the idea of DS9 still happening, but would caution that the space station idea was not as well liked by the studio execs, part of the reason it was ‘ignored’ and left to tell its story was due to it being in syndication rather than suffer the fate of Voyager which was constant exec meddling due to it being on the company TV channel.

ITTL all the Trek shows from S:I on are on the TV channel, they are going to suffer exec interference way more than OTL. AltTNG will not nessassarily be able to tell the same stories, set the same tone as OTL. This may lead to DS9 not even happening.

An alternative to DS9 might be a ship based series that leads with the aftermath of a late TNG war with the Cardassians or other power- perhaps the Borg? There might be a station they visit a lot as a hub aka DS5 but said show is more about explore, salvage, diplomacy than anything we got OTL.

The Dominion could still be a thing, but it would be another Alpha/Beta power and not on the end of a wormhole, perhaps they are the far side of Klingon or Cardassian space and are expanding ‘our’ way.

For Changelings, Wormhole, Weyon, Sisko etc to all develop like OTL would be highly unlikely at this point so far past the POD esp after what has to be a very different TNG.

Starfleet Medical is definitely a possibility ITTL
and it could take a lot of inspiration from the Sector General books
Fair enough. I'd suggest adding the Telepath War into the main story (or as part the sequel series) since that never really happened OTL and we can bring back Bester as the main antagonist.
i think ITTL JMS will get his 5 seasons from the start, so he will be able to integrate the telepath war as he planned (might even be a chance the network wants to add more seasons later on)

I like the idea of DS9 still happening, but would caution that the space station idea was not as well liked by the studio execs, part of the reason it was ‘ignored’ and left to tell its story was due to it being in syndication rather than suffer the fate of Voyager which was constant exec meddling due to it being on the company TV channel.
If DS9 is treated more as a "TNG Sequel" instead of a spinoff, then I'd think it could get away with it being set on a space station (especially if the main characters had a ship from the beginning and DS9 is treated as a base of operations by the cast).

I think the most important thing about DS9 is the relations between Cardassia and Bajor (which could get even more heated in this timeline) and the Dominion itself (through the Cold War and eventual conflict with the Federation).

The Dominion could still be a thing, but it would be another Alpha/Beta power and not on the end of a wormhole, perhaps they are the far side of Klingon or Cardassian space and are expanding ‘our’ way.
I actually liked the Gamma Quadrant idea w/ the wormhole. It might even be more relevant in an expanded TOS/TMP canon where Alpha/Beta Quadrant space might be further explored thanks to things like an anti-Federation alliance and so forth.

i think ITTL JMS will get his 5 seasons from the start, so he will be able to integrate the telepath war as he planned (might even be a chance the network wants to add more seasons later on)
5 Seasons were planned so diverging from that is just as counterintuitive for JMS as when the network tried to cancel the show early.

It wouldn't be too hard for JMS to make it about the Telepath War (with the B-Plot being the Drakh infiltration of the Centauri Republic or for it to be omitted altogether) by having Bester become more prominent as the leader of the Psi Corps (thus becoming Talia/Lyta's mortal enemy). I just honestly think it needed better execution to set it up (I saw a lot of posts on the B5 subreddit that loathed Byron and his pretentiousness, which I 100% agree with).

One of the reasons I will let others do Trek, is while I know plenty I am not familiar with all Trek. I focus on things I will be good at Foreign policing, Japan, Godzilla movies, various animes (not too much on Gundam but I know plenty of others), and so forth.

Chapter 222: January 1987
Starting off 1987 with a bang: Some more roles are filled on Star Trek: The Next Generation; the Polish Revolution goes into 1987, and East Germany begins to revolt; NATO calls snap naval exercises in the Atlantic, and more Starfleet Intelligence episodes.

R.jpg
R.jpg
1127-20613.jpg
MV5BZjZkMWMxN2ItYTYzYS00NjBmLWIzNjItZTFjOWJkMWI1MjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MTIzMDM1._V1_.jpg

PATRICK STEWART GETS THE CAPTAIN'S CHAIR; DENISE CROSBY PLAYS A PSYCHOLOGIST
PATRICK BAUCHAU RUMORED TO PLAY ROMULAN ADVERSARY

Patrick Stewart, formerly Andromeda's second lead, will sit in the captain's chair in the new Star Trek: The Next Generation series, scheduled to premiere this autumn on the Paramount Television Network. Stewart was thrilled to win the role over a series of strong actors, including Rutger Hauer and Patrick Bauchau. "Following Captain Kirk as the captain of the new Enterprise is a tremendous opportunity," Stewart said. "However, the situation is a little frightening because I fear we might not be considered 'real Star Trek' due to the different setting, further in the future. The writers have to provide us excellent stories or the audience will not accept us, and we could be cancelled after one season." Despite Stewart's British background, the Enterprise captain is expected to be French, and Stewart promised to brush up on a few French phrases to sell his character as at least a little French. "I actually look forward to playing a French character," Stewart said. "I'm more concerned about my male-pattern baldness. I thought Rutger was in the lead for the captain's chair because American audiences would view him as a more classic series lead, especially with his resemblance to a young William Shatner. I guess the audience will have to accept that I've lost most of my hair."

Patrick Bauchau, the Belgian actor who ironically speaks fluent French, will play a Romulan adversary to Stewart's captain for several episodes during the first season. "Initially I objected to wearing the makeup and the ears, but when they gave me the information about the part, it was quintessential Bauchau," the Belgian said. "I think the audiences will love how my character interacts with Stewart, based on what I know about his role and what I role about mine." Denise Crosby, the granddaughter of the famous Bing Crosby, is expected to play a psychologist and be a full-time cast member. The original Star Trek experimented with a psychologist, Dr. Helen Noel, in the first season episode "Dagger of the Mind," but this Enterprise will always have a counselor. "I think my role is very important, considering the increased importance of mental health care in the past ten years or so," Crosby said. "I'm going to be the most empathetic character in the cast, and I believe that fits my acting range very well."

1696262_605.jpg

POLISH REVOLUTION RAGES ON; POPE JOHN PAUL II MAKES SURPRISE VISIT
RED ARMY INVADES POLAND FROM TWO DIRECTIONS; EAST GERMANY PROTESTS REACH FEVER PITCH

Despite the fact that Soviet tanks rolled into Poland from East Germany and the USSR, the Polish people kept on resisting, and a majority of the Polish Army, previously propping up the Communist regime, began fighting the Soviets. In the largest tank battle since World War II, the Soviets came out victorious east of Krakow. Soviet tanks and armored personnel carriers quickly sped towards Warsaw. Guerrilla warfare proved much more difficult for the Soviets. Just like in Afghanistan and Czechoslovakia, the Soviets were degraded significantly by Polish forces hiding in buildings and on street corners. The Red Army took over 5,000 casualties in the first month alone. In a boost to Polish morale, Pope John Paul II secretly traveled to Warsaw under cover of darkness and held mass for hundreds of thousands of protesting Poles. He encouraged his people to remain strong against the face of oppression and the jackboot. "The Polish people are a beacon for the world," the Pope announced at Castle Square, long a place of pride for the Polish nation.

The Soviets were forced to send tanks across the Oder from East Germany to Poland, but without the Red Army in the DDR, protests once again ramped up. Erich Honecker, the defiant leader of the DDR, was forced to flee to Leipzig amid cries of "Honecker aus" from the protesters. Hundreds of protesters were able to break through Checkpoint Charlie at the Berlin Wall and meet a crowd of West Berliners who were waiting for them. However, most of the protests near the Berliner Mauer were violently suppressed. Eighty-five East Berliners were killed and over 700 were wounded in the chaos. The DDR was hanging on by a thread, and a civil war was about to break out west of Poland.

In the White House, President Glenn and his Secretary of State, Lawrence Eagleburger, watched the situation closely, but remained out of the conflict. Instead, they ordered snap military drills in both the Atlantic and Pacific to send a message to the Soviet Union that the fighting in Eastern Europe could not escalate past the East German and Polish borders. In coordination with Thatcher, Mitterrand and Kohl, Glenn also raised the alert levels for American troops in Europe. In the Pacific, the South Korean navy and Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force, along with the United States, traveled to the edge of Soviet waters to send a direct message to Moscow. Soviet premier Andrei Gromyko almost collapsed from the stress of the situation unfolding in Eastern Europe and was admitted to a Moscow hospital. Unbeknownst to Gromyko, a sympathetic prison guard released the last Soviet general secretary, Mikhail Gorbachev, who quietly went for tea with his wife Raisa at a local Moscow cafe. When a random Muscovite recognized Mr. and Mrs. Gorbachev, he shouted out "Gorbi svoboden!" (Gorby is free). The streets of Moscow, previously cowed into submission by Soviet secret police and military police, came to life...

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE EPISODES

EPISODE 101: THE PSYCHOTIC BREAK (Airdate: January 6, 1987). Marx proposes that the Starfleet Intelligence team visits Betazed, and Uhura agrees. They enjoy the paradise that is Betazed, but Karlax is tormented by nightmares. He believes that the Betazoid telepathic abilities are infiltrating his brain, and requests to leave the planet. Marx determines that the Betazoids view him as a threat and contacts the Holder of the Sacred Chalice to explain the situation. However, the Holder will not simply tell the Betazoids to simply shut off their brains, and Karlax goes mad. He threatens to kill a Betazoid couple but is remanded into custody. Uhura asks the Holder why they are not accommodating Karlax, and is told that Karlax, as a Klingon, is an enemy of the Betazoid people. Uhura attempts to fight for Karlax's rights, but instead it is Marx who places a mental block into the Betazoid telepathic network, protecting Karlax and bringing him back to sanity. However, this occurs at great cost to Marx; she is knocked unconscious and fights for her life. The Betazoid leaders realize the error of their ways when Karlax uses a device to repair Marx's brain. Karlax is no longer considered an enemy and is invited back to Betazed for shore leave.

EPISODE 102: A SACRED SHRINE (Airdate: January 13, 1987). In a more light-hearted entry in the series, Uhura's team encounters the Ferengi, who are making a pilgrimage to New York City. Wall Street is a sacred shrine to the Ferengi, who worship there despite the fact that New York (and the Federation) no longer use money. The Ferengi wistfully wish for the return of capitalism to New York, which provided a model for their Rules of Acquisition. To their delight, the Ferengi find a black market in the New York underworld that still follows the old capitalistic ways. Uhura and team are tasked to remove the Ferengi from the planet peacefully. Instead of fighting, the Ferengi agree to take some of the proprietors in the New York capitalist underworld to Ferenginar, where they can continue in the old ways of making profit.

EPISODE 103: BATTLES' BATTLES (Airdate: January 20, 1987). In this episode, we find out more about Lt. Commander Maria Battles' background. She grew up on Tarsus IV and was a descendant of the half of the population that survived the genocide precipitated by Kodos the Executioner. Battles suffered emotional trauma for most of her childhood, not being fully accepted as a Federation citizen. She joined Starfleet in order to never face the same disrespect again. Uhura decides that Battles must return to Tarsus IV to face her past. Karlax counsels Battles on how to deal with trauma, based on his experiences. When an emergency arises regarding food supplies on Tarsus IV, Battles confronts Tolos, one of Kodos' lieutenants. The Intelligence team are able to prevent another genocide on Tarsus IV by defeating Kodos' sympathizers and call for immediate food shipments to Tarsus. Uhura also asks Starfleet Intelligence whether the citizens on Tarsus IV could be relocated to another planet so they do not face another famine, but Starfleet declines.

EPISODE 104: THE DILITHIUM SNARE (Airdate, January 27, 1987). Marx and Neras are sent to Deneb V to determine why Orion pirates are disrupting trade routes there. They find that the Denebians have found a new source of dilithium and believe that this will lead to great wealth. Marx and Neras are held captive by the Denebians who are acting in concert with the Orion pirates. Uhura, Battles and Karlax must lead a task force to break up the illicit dilithium trading ring, since Deneb V is in Federation space.