WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 209: October 1985
Back for another update. I have some time to write and finally a little energy, so we'll get in at least a short chapter today. In this installment, Israel calls off Operation Wooden Leg at Secretary of State Carter's request, allowing Jordan's King Hussein the space to join the five-party talks. A Star Wars cartoon is announced for the 1986-1987 television season, and Paramount begins planning a new Star Trek series, after Harve Bennett announced his move to Fox. Plus, more Starfleet Intelligence episodes.

janet_jimmy_carter_original.jpg
41apZlU1plL.jpg

IN AMMAN, CARTER CONVINCES KING HUSSEIN TO JOIN TALKS
ISRAEL CALLS OFF ATTACK ON PLO BASE IN TUNISIA, IN DIPLOMATIC BID TO ISOLATE PLO

October 3, 1985

Secretary of State Jimmy Carter met with Jordan's King Hussein in Amman and hammered out an agreement regarding Jordanian participation in the five-party Middle East peace talks. Jordan would agree to join the negotiations if Israel refrained from attacking Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) targets outside its borders. Israeli prime minister Shimon Peres conditionally agreed, but countered that he would hold Jordan responsible for any PLO attacks in Israel. A tenuous rapprochement was reached, and Secretary of State Carter promised to bring all five parties (the United States, the Soviet Union, Great Britain, Israel and Jordan) to Oslo in January 1986 to begin peace negotiations between the Jordan River neighbors. "We've potentially got a historic settlement if all parties can agree," Carter said. "President Glenn is banking on this, and we feel that we're closer." PLO leader Yasser Arafat condemned the Jordanian monarch, proclaiming that "there is no peace without a Palestinian voice in the negotiation. Jordan is an enemy of the Palestinian people just like Israel. "They will split the West Bank and there will be nothing for us." Immediately after the announcement, backchannel communications began between Mossad, the Israeli secret service, and their Jordanian counterparts. Although the arrangement was unpopular in some Israeli circles, Prime Minister Peres framed the agreement as a step forward for Israel's security. "Peace is secured, albeit loosely, with Egypt. If we can arrange a similar peace with Jordan, we can orient our military posture towards our northern frontier," Peres said. "I believe a joint administration of the West Bank with the Jordanians is possible."

download.jpg
1280px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

NEW STAR WARS CARTOON IN PRODUCTION

October 14, 1985

George Lucas green lighted a new Star Wars cartoon, which will begin airing in 1986. The cartoon will focus on the period after Return of the Jedi, with Luke Skywalker as the main character in search of potential students to rebuild the nearly extinct Jedi Order. The cartoon, "Star Wars: The New Jedi Order," will introduce brand new Jedi Knights to be, with Skywalker as their teacher. Mark Hamill, who played Skywalker in the trilogy, will voice his character for the cartoon. "I'm glad Star Wars is returning, even if it's only in cartoon form," Hamill said. "When I've been looking for work, the agents are telling me I'm Luke Skywalker and I can't do anything else. I'd like the franchise to give me more opportunities in the movies. Hopefully George Lucas is ready in the next couple of years to make some movies again." Other characters confirmed to be returning include Princess Leia, who will be voiced by Carrie Fisher, C3PO and R2D2, the kid-friendly droids, and Han Solo. However, Harrison Ford, who played Solo in the movies, will not play him in the cartoon. "Harrison Ford didn't want to do the cartoon, so we'll have to find someone who sounds like him," The New Jedi Order producers Peter Sauder and Ben Burtt said. Similar to Hamill, Sauder and Burtt were also worried that Star Wars would fade out of the national consciousness. "We can't be a dormant franchise," Sauder said. "Star Trek never stops, and we've got to keep up with the joneses."

DAVID GERROLD TABBED TO DEVELOP NEW STAR TREK SERIES, WITH RODDENBERRY IN OVERSIGHT ROLE

October 28, 1985

Award-winning veteran Star Trek writer David Gerrold was pulled from his duties with Starfleet Intelligence and Andromeda by Paramount president Michael Eisner to develop a new Star Trek series set almost a century after Kirk and Spock. Gerrold was initially reluctant to leave his duties with Intelligence and Andromeda, but the chance to become an executive producer was too appealing to pass up. "We're going to create a new Star Trek series, hopefully in 1986, but no later than 1987," Eisner said. "The popularity of Starfleet Intelligence compels us to expand the property on television, so we remain competitive in the ratings with CBS." Gene Roddenberry, the creator of the original Star Trek in the 1960s, will be in an oversight role, as an "executive consultant," while Gerrold is responsible for the day-to-day operations. Gerrold immediately sought out D.C. Fontana to become a producer, and she agreed. "This is the best opportunity of my career," Gerrold said. "Creating a new Star Trek series without Kirk and Spock is extremely challenging, but Dorothy and I are up to the challenge and we'll create some very compelling Star Trek." When fans heard the news, they were skeptical. "How could Star Trek exist without Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura and the rest?" a fan who wanted to remain anonymous said. "They can't do the same thing as the old series and Intelligence. I'd imagine there will be a new Enterprise in the future but it has to be completely different to succeed."

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE EPISODES

Hat tip to @Ogrebear for Episode 78.

EPISODE 75: A MATTER OF DECEPTION. (Airdate: October 1, 1985). Uhura dispatches Karlax and Nerva, the Romulan member of the team, to Gamma Hydra III to investigate Tal Shiar activity. Karlax is captured by the Tal Shiar, and Nerva initially does not try to rescue him. Karlax believes that Nerva placed him in a trap, because he is wanted by the Tal Shiar, having served in both the Klingon security services and Starfleet Intelligence. However, Karlax doesn't know that Nerva is using him as the bait to unravel the entire Tal Shiar operation. Nerva calls in Marx and Uhura in Romulan disguise, and they discover that the Romulans are working on another chemical weapon that can incapacitate both humans and Vulcans, placing the Federation at a disadvantage in a war. The Tal Shiar attempts to test the weapon on Karlax, but they miscalculated; Karlax's eight-chambered heart was able to withstand its effects. Uhura and team confiscate the chemical weapon and remove the Tal Shiar presence on Gamma Hydra III. Afterwards, Karlax asks Nerva why he used him as bait, and Nerva tells him, "I knew the weapon wouldn't work on you." Karlax and Nerva share some Romulan ale at the end and toast their success.

EPISODE 76: THE PSIONIC CHIP (Airdate: October 8, 1985). Starfleet Medical wants to study Michael Decker, Ilia's son, and they discover that Michael has psionic capabilities. Starfleet Intelligence is brought in to investigate, because they believe the young Decker is a risk to others if he acts out violently. When the boy is taken away, he lashes out, placing one Starfleet security officer in a coma. The young Decker is confined and Ilia protests, pleading that they don't understand her child. Uhura and company are tasked to develop a chip that allows the young Decker to control his emotions, which would ensure the safety of others around him. When they attempt to implant the chip, Decker lashes out again, paralyzing Nerva. Marx is the only member of the team who can handle Decker's powers, so she is tasked for the job. Almost driven to the point of madness, Marx corrals the boy's emotions and implants the chip. Decker initially rejects the implant, but Ilia convinces her son that this is the best solution for him, so he can live a normal life.

EPISODE 77: THE WEATHER MACHINE (Airdate: October 15, 1985). Starfleet is designing a weather control machine that will ensure the weather remains stable on Earth and other plants. The machine malfunctions, causing significant disruptions to Earth's weather. The only member of the team who has any expertise with that equipment is Nerva, due to his work on terraforming colonies with the Tal Shiar. Nerva determines that the machine's algorithms did not account for the salt content in the Earth's oceans, which is causing changes to the ocean current system. Nerva recommends that the machine be shut down until this factor is resolved, and this occurs. Later, it is discovered that the Vulcan Science Academy wanted to develop the device to cool down the Vulcan climate, which will become unlivable in 50 years without a technological intervention. Uhura questions why the system was tested on Earth and not Vulcan, and gets stonewalled. She asks Sarek why the Vulcans were so secretive about the device, and Sarek replies that it was a matter of the security of the Federation. The Vulcan delegation in the Federation Council is forced to apologize for the disruptions on Earth, and they promise to repair the damage done to several of Earth's cities.

EPISODE 78: THE PROMOTION (Airdate: October 22, 1985). Uhura is offered a promotion higher into SI, and the rank of captain. Commander Chekov would take over her Unit. She is conflicted and distracted during a mission vs Orion slavers who have been seizing Tellarite ships and gets hurt. As she is in sickbay recovering, Tellerite Captain Tarv (John Wheeler) talks to her and they speak about what makes them happy, and Uhura realizes she wants to stay with her unit.

The life of politics looks to be as hectic as ever, but at least what we now know as Star Trek: The Next Generation could continue the legacy of the franchise. Or at least, that's the title I think they'd go with.

However, as far as the Star Wars cartoon goes, I have three questions:
1: Do the cartoons that make up this series still exist in this timeline on ABC?
2: Who do you have casted as Han Solo in this animated series?
3: Considering the month-by-month play of television history in the making, how about we have The New Jedi Order, plus the previous shows if they still exist, bolster the Saturday Morning lineup on Fox? It would probably give the block some bite against the old guard of kidvid, at the very least.

The life of politics looks to be as hectic as ever, but at least what we now know as Star Trek: The Next Generation could continue the legacy of the franchise. Or at least, that's the title I think they'd go with.

However, as far as the Star Wars cartoon goes, I have three questions:
1: Do the cartoons that make up this series still exist in this timeline on ABC?
2: Who do you have casted as Han Solo in this animated series?
3: Considering the month-by-month play of television history in the making, how about we have The New Jedi Order, plus the previous shows if they still exist, bolster the Saturday Morning lineup on Fox? It would probably give the block some bite against the old guard of kidvid, at the very least.
1. The Droids series exist but ITTL the Ewoks were replaced by Wookiees in Return of the Jedi

2. Someone like Jim Cummings could voice Han Solo. He was a tremendous voice actor in cartoons.

3. The New Jedi Order could be a long-term hit for Fox, with potential for new characters to grow

1. The Droids series exist but ITTL the Ewoks were replaced by Wookiees in Return of the Jedi

2. Someone like Jim Cummings could voice Han Solo. He was a tremendous voice actor in cartoons.

3. The New Jedi Order could be a long-term hit for Fox, with potential for new characters to grow
A second season for Droids, a Wookees cartoon, and New Jedi Order would be a perfect 90-minute block on Fox's schedule. All we have to do now is fill in some spots to go around it.

With that said, assuming Jim Cummings doesn't sign an exclusivity contract with Gulf+Western in this timeline, he'd be really good as Han Solo. And even if he does get some of his best-known roles ITTL, being Harrison Ford's animated counterpart would still be a good example of his range.

A second season for Droids, a Wookees cartoon, and New Jedi Order would be a perfect 90-minute block on Fox's schedule. All we have to do now is fill in some spots to go around it.

With that said, assuming Jim Cummings doesn't sign an exclusivity contract with Gulf+Western in this timeline, he'd be really good as Han Solo. And even if he does get some of his best-known roles ITTL, being Harrison Ford's animated counterpart would still be a good example of his range.
Sounds good. My goal for SW is to get the Thrawn novels made into a movie trilogy ITTL before The Phantom Menace

If the Thrawn Movies are well done enough, they might even butterfly the Prequels, or at least change them enough to be better than they were OTL...
I actually wrote the idea for it: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ovies-never-made.11413/page-111#post-21970052

I gave ds19 my blessing to run with it as he wished. If it does come in the early 90s, I fear Jurassic Park's going to have some steep competition. I would be fine with it coming out a bit later and certainly without Lucas' CGI fest.

I actually wrote the idea for it: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ovies-never-made.11413/page-111#post-21970052

I gave ds19 my blessing to run with it as he wished. If it does come in the early 90s, I fear Jurassic Park's going to have some steep competition. I would be fine with it coming out a bit later and certainly without Lucas' CGI fest.
I could change the TL by having Zahn write the trilogy a year or two earlier and having the movies come out in say 1992, 1995 and 1997

I might write the next update late in the evening for my British readers (which is in the early evening where I live in the States)

Peres said. "I believe a joint administration of the West Bank with the Jordanians is possible." - I really hope so, partly for peace in this world, and partly cos a more peaceful ME is real butterflies from OTL. If it can hold a lot of the energy gets taken out of Hamas, PLO, and other groups who hate Israel.

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - sounds like fun, esp with the returning voice cast (sans Ford). I am hoping one of those new Jedi is a Wookiee!

Hamill should compare notes with Nimoy about being typecast.

So David Gerrold is tapped as Exec Producer for TNG and Gene is 'consulting' - hope Gerrold can reign in Gene's lawyer and keep him out of scripts, off set, and away from antagonising people; S1 and S2 will be better for it if he can. Hopefully ITTL the movie designers like Fletcher are still invovled rather than shoved aside so Gene can bring back old mates like Theiss - while decent a lot of the TNG designs where the 60's reinvented ignoring the movie look entirely. Which while that gave the movies its own 'era design' ITTL there is a lot more TOS era Trek, just throwing it all away and reinventing it all might not help with branding- though on the flipside it will make TNG stand out against Intelligence and the stuff before.

And fan backlash against the new show begins! Guess we will see if there is Discovery levels disquiet once TNG comes along.

As a thought- with all the Phase II scripts used up ITTL, if there is a writers strike in S1/2 where do they get scripts from OR is it likely that TNG opens up to 'spec scripts' from fans earlier than OTL and weathers the Strike that way?

Karlax as bait? ITTL me would be at the edge of his seat to know his fav Klingon was ok.

Why is Michael Decker not being taken to a Vulcan to help with his psionic powers instead of having a chip put in?

"Uhura questions why the system was tested on Earth and not Vulcan," - or indeed another planet? Nimbus III is a desert world closer to Vulcan conditions, why not use it there?

I see The Promotion as a 'bottle show' to explore Uhura and her motivations, some might consider it 'talky'.

"My goal for SW is to get the Thrawn novels made into a movie trilogy ITTL before The Phantom Menace" - If the cartoon does really well, perhaps Lucas decides to keep going forward in the timeline rather than make Prequels. The Thrawn books become scripts and then movies which are massively successful. Post Thrawn Lucas makes a TV show dealing with the Imperial Remitment and them using cloning, cue lots of flashbacks to the 'Clone Wars' pre Empire which is likely to come out completely differently to OTL. The story of the conflict is told in snippets while the show still moves the timeline along.

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - sounds like fun, esp with the returning voice cast (sans Ford). I am hoping one of those new Jedi is a Wookiee!
Considering how there's a tribe of smaller Wookees that replaced the Ewoks, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for this new show. In fact, I'd bet serious money that we get a new Wookee character specifically to drum up more support and fans from the kids.

I love the TNG cast as OTL though
As do I, but given the massive amount of butterflies ITTL the odds on the same cast must be huge. Plus didn't Crosby audition for Troi and Stris for Yar? Perhaps Burton for First officer? Lots of options for Alt casts - no reason not to shake it up even if you keep the same actors.

Also alt bio's for the main characters is possible- if Steward is Picard, why not make Picard British? Or La Forge as the Chief Engineer from the start, making Worf Helm? If Roddenberry is not showrunner then his favourite Wesley might be Lesley or cut or there are more kids their age on-board to stop the character being as 'Mary Stu' and hanging out with the Bridge crew all the time. Why are all the main crew from Earth (except Data, Yar, and Troi) instead of Nu Mars or similar?

Given the longer TOS and SI then nailing down the world building between then and TNG is going to be important; what happened to the UFP Klingon worlds, the Orions, etc. Roddenberry's edict that TNG not lean on TOS as much is possibly less needed here- its Star Trek, its got legs on TV, having cameos or call backs in script will not stop TNG establishing itself as its own thing ITTL IMHO.

One idea I had for a spin off is Starfleet Medical.

We've seen the seedier underside of the UFP in Intelligence, why not show off something a bit more..... light hearted, I wanna say?

Imagine a show entirely around the perspective of Lower Deck's Dr. T'anna. Take the usual Star Trek Episode of the Week stuff, and now make it about how you have to somehow fix it, and for everyone on a ship.

Like, OK, easy cure for humans, but that doesn't work on Vulcans. Or Orions. And the Horta.

We've seen the seedier underside of the UFP in Intelligence, why not show off something a bit more..... light hearted, I wanna say?

Imagine a show entirely around the perspective of Lower Deck's Dr. T'anna. Take the usual Star Trek Episode of the Week stuff, and now make it about how you have to somehow fix it, and for everyone on a ship.

Like, OK, easy cure for humans, but that doesn't work on Vulcans. Or Orions. And the Horta.
Sounds good if I ever get around to it. Time has not been kind to me for a few weeks

something Like Sector General but now set in the star trek universe