Just finished the update. Thought the stories highlighted sounded like good ones to watch. Can't wait for the next update.

Thanks for that. I was a bit worried that two of them might be a bit of the same, but the feeling behind the two were different enough. That's the good thing about Doctor Who, there's so many stories that can be told in it.

I especially like the idea of an episode set in an eerie abandoned city. It just goes to show that you don't need monster costumes to make a good Doctor Who episode. Is the city floating in the air or on water?

I especially like the idea of an episode set in an eerie abandoned city. It just goes to show that you don't need monster costumes to make a good Doctor Who episode. Is the city floating in the air or on water?

Well the idea behind that serial was that it was a bottle one. The budget had gone elsewhere for that series and so that was done largely on the cheap. The city was one in the air, plenty of wind sound effects to help with the atmosphere in it.

Chapter Twenty
Part Twenty: Movies, Games and Videos:

“The intention in looking to Ultima wasn't to actually adapt it into a movie at first. I had first gotten into the medium when Stephen first showed me the Doctor Who game on the Apple II and had kept up a passing interest in video games. Some of my favourites were the Ultima series, something I really got into with the release of Return of The Jedi. I eventually got into contact with Richard Garriot in 1984, setting up a meeting with him as we talked about the series and he told me his plans with Ultima IV. The idea of a greater sense of morality in video games and bringing about virtue really interested me and put me in mind of similar things the Jedi would do. At that point, the idea of a movie based off the game began to take seed and sprout.”
- Extract from an interview with George Lucas, 2008

Ultima IV (1985), the fourth game in the Ultima series and the first to incorporate the system of Virtues that would become a staple of the series. By the time the game was released, rumours had been circling gaming magazines for months regarding a Star Wars connection and the hype had reached a critical point at its release. This hype caused sales to exceed all expectations and any disappointment that fans may have felt for the game having no Stars Wars connection soon faded, not only due to the well received gameplay, but also due to the announcement a week after the game was released that there would be a film adaptation with George Lucas at the helm. Ultima IV would go to become the best selling of the series with its gameplay helping revolutionise the Western RPG genre and popularising it and would later lead to the merger of Origin Systems and Lucas Arts.
- Extract from An Encyclopedia of Video Games, 2001

“A film of Ultima was rather daunting at first, but the way George laid it out for me caught my interest. He loved the Virtue system and seeing it come to life in Ultima IV sparked his imagination further. When we got down to the idea of a movie and fleshing it out, deciding to keep elements such as Mondain in with the Virtues still being incorporated. It was going to be a very different film from some typical fantasy creations that had come before it. Looking back, the first and second Ultima films are something I'm honestly pleased to have seen. They were both well executed with George managing to create a vision that stayed true to the Ultima series.”
- Extract from an interview with Richard Garriot, 2006

The Avatar – Christopher Reeve
Lord British – Sir Alec Guinness
Dupre The Paladin – Bruce Willis
Mariah The Mage – Jamie Lee Curtis
Mondain – Clancy Brown
- List of the main characters for Ultima, released 1987

Casting for the Ultima movie had already begun before the announcement was even made of the movie. The name of George Lucas brought in many eager actors wanting to attach themselves to the project, some few were doing so because of the nature of it. Despite his later exasperation with Star Wars, the nature of morality that the Ultima series portrayed intrigued Alec Guiness enough to take on the role of Lord British. The lead role for the Avatar eventually went to Christopher Reeve, who left a chance at a fourth Superman movie to take on the part, something which he later expressed thanks over with giving his career a new lease of life. Other parts in the film were filled out with Bruce Willis getting his first major role in a film as the part of the Paladin, Dupre. Filming began in late 1985 with George Lucas serving as executive producer and Irvin Kershner was chosen to direct.
- Extract from 'Video Games to Movies: Computer Game Cinema', 2013

“I asked George why he'd want me to take on Ultima. His reasoning was the same behind Empire, that he wanted a director with Hollywood skills who wasn't Hollywood. This film also wasn't going to be Hollywood as we knew it, instead, it was going to be quite different from anything seen in Hollywood, or from Lucas himself. It was a promise he kept too.”
- Extract from an interview with Irvin Kershner, 2000

“The idea that art has found a new medium in video games has perhaps found its greatest argument in its favour with the release of the Ultima film. Based off the same named games, Ultima is a tale of High Fantasy executed right. Although the plot isn't anything we haven't seen before, its aims and display of morality offer an interesting new slant on an old idea. Christopher Reeve leads a strong cast in a movie with a fascinating and wide world that draws in the audience throughout the movie. A well executed family film that's sure to entrance children and keep the adults entertained as well.”
- Extract from Roger Ebert's review of Ultima, August 1987

“Oh no, not again.”
- Alleged quote from Alec Guinness after realising the popularity of the Ultima movie, 1987

Ultima:
Released: August 12th, 1987
Budget: 30 Million US Dollars
Box Office: 93.3 Million US Dollars
- Run down of Ultima's information and performance

“So that was the first Ultima film. An epic fantasy with a great cast of characters, one that stayed true to its source material and had potential for a great franchise. We even got to see some of that potential realised two years later with Ultima: The Shadow Lords. So, what happened? Why didn't it reach its full potential? Well, I'm guessing most of you remember a little fuss over a game called Splatterhouse...”
- Extract from ‘The Ultima Movie’, part of the Ultima Retrospective series of videos posted on the Schwoony Experiment, 2012

Among the many rumours circling around the movie industry, the reasoning behind Sean Connery getting cast as Big Boss in the 1989 Metal Gear movie. With the success of the Metal Gear game on the MSX, a console released to take advantage of the rising popularity of computer games in the mid to late 80's, it was alleged that Connery spotted the artwork in the manual which bore an uncanny resemblance to himself. Taking umbrage with what he felt was unlicensed use of his likeness, Connery called the offices of Atari personally for a confrontation with the executives who had to think very fast on their feet.
- Extract from 'You Can See The Munchkin in The Trees: A History of Movie Urban Legends', 2000

“Now you tell me why I shouldn't sue you for everything you're worth! I didn't agree to you using my face on some children's game for some God-awful computer.”
“W-Well th-the truth is...”
“What is it? Spit it out man!”
“The o-original design came from our ideas of a movie adaptation, like they've done to the Ultima game. It must have been a mix up on their part in include the artwork which included the character to look like you.”
“A movie you say?”
“Y-Yes. It's still in pre-production but we'd love to have you on. If you're interested and forgo any legal issues...”
“... I'm interested. But it better be a fucking good script.”
*Click*
- Alleged phone conversation between Sean Connery and an unnamed Atari executive, 1987

The rumours concerning the start of the Metal Gear movie being the result of an attempt by Atari and Microsoft to avoid being sued by Sean Connery is, of course, a complete fabrication. A fanciful tale born out of Connery's dislike of the fans the film inspired, as well as the hasty production of the film itself. In truth, the production came from Warner Brothers executives wanting to hastily take advantage of the video game boom of the late 80's, Metal Gear's popularity after its incredibly successful advertising campaign making it a prime franchise for adaptation. With the inspiration behind Metal Gear noted, it wasn't surprising when the eventual director was chosen.

“After the lack of success of Big Trouble in Little China, I was starting to turn away from Hollywood. I felt that the reasons behind that movie's reception came from problems in the system. If it wasn't for that phone call from Warner Brothers, and looking into the project they wanted me to try out, I'd have looked much more into working on independent films. Metal Gear gave me new lease of life in Hollywood, although it's not always been the smoothest of relationships.”
- Extract from an interview with John Carpenter, 1999

Solid Snake – Kurt Russell
Big Boss – Sean Connery
Dr Petrovich – Chaim Topol
Ellen Petrovich – Valeria Golino
Dirty Duck – Trevor Goddard
- Brief cast list of Metal Gear, 1989

In the year 1995, a weapon of mass destruction, unlike any that has ever been seen, is discovered to have been built in the mercenary outpost known as 'Outer Heaven'. After conventional attempts to infiltrate the outpost fail, the government send in their two best operatives, the men known only as Big Boss and Solid Snake. With only two days left to stop the launch of the weapon, it's up to these two men to save the world from the threat known only as 'Metal Gear'.
- Official release synopsis of Metal Gear, 1989

Metal Gear:
Released: September 9th, 1989
Budget: 40 Million US Dollars
Box Office: 92.8 Million US Dollars
- Run down of Metal Gear information and performance

Despite having to deal with the aftermath of both Green Lantern and Ultima: The Shadow Lords dominating the summer theatres, Metal Gear managed to blast onto the scene, grabbing the attention of everyone with an advertising campaign that brought attention and word of mouth soon brought more people into the theatres to watch the movie. With it being called John Carpenter's return to form, and with the twist of Sean Connery turning out to be the villain of the piece catching many off guard, those who hadn't played the game anyway. Widely regarded as a great action movie with science fiction elements, Metal Gear would be the last adaptation of a video game to film format for over half a decade due to the Splatterhouse scandal.

“So, was that, like, a sequel to Escape From New York, or what?”
- A question many people asked regarding the Metal Gear movie

CHILD KILLS SIBLING, PUTS BLAME ON ARCADE GAME
- Headline from Boston Globe, 17th November, 1989

Last edited:
... ... ...so, ending on that note... ...okay...

Leaves a hook hanging for people to bite at I thought. Thoughts on the rest of it?

Bit a bleak ending to the update. Looking forward to the next one. I also got the reference in the title

Yeah, just thought I'd leave the reason why the video game adaptations stop short and leave me room to expand on it later on.

It's the same situation as OTL, and yet "none of those lost have been destroyed"? I think there'd be a noticable difference if 108 episodes were still around.

It's the same situation as OTL, and yet "none of those lost have been destroyed"? I think there'd be a noticable difference if 108 episodes were still around.

A misphrasing. I meant the situation is the same as OTL. Only the episodes missing in our timeline are missing in this one.

Then I reiterate my statement about Terence Stamp being a perfect Master. Same with Christopher Lee. Around the "present day" of the timeline they weren't quite the wizened gentlemen they are today. And are you going to talk about Voyager soon?

Then I reiterate my statement about Terence Stamp being a perfect Master. Same with Christopher Lee. Around the "present day" of the timeline they weren't quite the wizened gentlemen they are today. And are you going to talk about Voyager soon?

I'm going to finish of the 80's before approaching Voyager, as that was a production in the 90's.

Was Ultima released in '83 or 87? Was Metal Gear released in '87 or '89? Both movies have two distinct years associated with them. Which one is the real one?