Alas, it means Beauty and the Beast won't get Oscar nominated, alas. How is TMNT affected by Usagi Yojimbo?
On the topic of Disney, you may want to watch, "Waking Sleeping Beauty", an excellent documentary, and read "Disney War", an excellent account of Eisner's time.

True, Beauty And The Beast is a no go now, for reasons regarding an adaptation Nelvana do which I'll get into later. TMNT never got its own adaptation in the 80's, but events will still see it in animated form, albeit much more true to its original style than OTL's cartoon. And yes, Eisner shall be making an appearance, for good and bad.

Here's something to consider. In 1989, Nippon Animation premiered Shonen Mowgli, an anime series based on the Jungle Book. Due to a closer attention to Kipling's work and the better compatibility of an episodic format with the book, it does a better job of keeping to the spirit of the original than Disney did. It also explored some serious themes such as death and man's relationship with nature. I think it might be interesting if Nelvana got involved with the series and brought it to the U.S.; given that the Jungle Book was Walt's last animated film, Nelvana supporting the T.V. series would definitely poke Disney and heat up the tension.

I'm guessing that "more true to the original style" would still entail some lightening of the source material, as you'd still want your heroes to be heroes, rather than brutal killers you are supposed to root for. There is a lot in between the OTL 1987 cartoon and the original comic. It would still be nice to have some comic relief in that show. It'd be more like the 2003 series than the 1987 series.

Here's something to consider. In 1989, Nippon Animation premiered Shonen Mowgli, an anime series based on the Jungle Book. Due to a closer attention to Kipling's work and the better compatibility of an episodic format with the book, it does a better job of keeping to the spirit of the original than Disney did. It also explored some serious themes such as death and man's relationship with nature. I think it might be interesting if Nelvana got involved with the series and brought it to the U.S.; given that the Jungle Book was Walt's last animated film, Nelvana supporting the T.V. series would definitely poke Disney and heat up the tension.

Huh, that would actually be a good addition. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm guessing that "more true to the original style" would still entail some lightening of the source material, as you'd still want your heroes to be heroes, rather than brutal killers you are supposed to root for. There is a lot in between the OTL 1987 cartoon and the original comic. It would still be nice to have some comic relief in that show. It'd be more like the 2003 series than the 1987 series.

Something similar to that, yeah. There will be some changes from the source material but the show, when it debuts, will be a lot closer to the comic than the other cartoons from OTL.

I want to see the improved version of Star Trek: Voyager. I want to see them actually utilize the premise of the show properly, with them damaged and understaffed many light-years from home. I want more in-depth detail on the Onglaatu, as the post featuring them didn't have any long paragraphs. I also hope the death of the so-called Roddenberry Box would keep the cast of Voyager from treating the prime directive like religious dogma. Hopefully the disaster that was TNG will make the writers of Voyager strive too be better. And I hope Generations allows Rickman to rehabilitate his unnamed character.

How about an alternate Quantum Leap?

There could very well be one of those, have to look into it a bit.

I want to see the improved version of Star Trek: Voyager. I want to see them actually utilize the premise of the show properly, with them damaged and understaffed many light-years from home. I want more in-depth detail on the Onglaatu, as the post featuring them didn't have any long paragraphs. I also hope the death of the so-called Roddenberry Box would keep the cast of Voyager from treating the prime directive like religious dogma. Hopefully the disaster that was TNG will make the writers of Voyager strive too be better. And I hope Generations allows Rickman to rehabilitate his unnamed character.

There will be insight into the new Star Trek show, but that'll be in the 90's when the show gets it's chance and a fair few updates away. It will come though.

Roddenberry`s edicts in OTL`s Star Trek: The Next Generation had the Federation going down a somewhat communistic path. The evidence points to the Federation being proud about eliminating all forms of private property. I`m guessing that the success of TNG helped keep those elements in. I doubt they`d want to continue down that path with the show`s failure. Especially when it seems that this world`s TNG cranked those elements up to eleven. Even with how stupid the studio executives can be, it`d be massively obvious that audiences didn`t want to be lectured by self-important assholes for roughly fourty-five minutes a week.

Can we have Sean Bean's Doctor please?

That'll be in the next episode.

Roddenberry`s edicts in OTL`s Star Trek: The Next Generation had the Federation going down a somewhat communistic path. The evidence points to the Federation being proud about eliminating all forms of private property. I`m guessing that the success of TNG helped keep those elements in. I doubt they`d want to continue down that path with the show`s failure. Especially when it seems that this world`s TNG cranked those elements up to eleven. Even with how stupid the studio executives can be, it`d be massively obvious that audiences didn`t want to be lectured by self-important assholes for roughly fourty-five minutes a week.

Pretty much this. The next Star Trek series is going lean a lot more towards DS9 in feel than what others did IOTL.

Chapter Nineteen
Part Nineteen: Unlucky Seven:

Profile:
The Seventh Doctor was vastly different from his immediate predecessor. The soldier broken from years of hopeless conflict was gone in many ways and in his place, the youngest actor to take on the role stepped in. Gone were many of the darker aspects, in no small part due to the Doctor's loss of memory after the Regeneration process. In its place was a new Doctor, one that had the benefits of starting anew without the baggage of the past. The Seventh Doctor was a great deal more jovial and curious than the Sixth, although he was more down to Earth than the Fifth in that respect, his humour instead coming from his good nature and the way he bantered back and forth as equals while his curiousity was tempered with caughtion born of his great compassion and need to protect those around him. Out of all the Doctors, he was the most eager to send his companions to the safety of the TARDIS when he needed to. Although having forgot a great deal, the Doctor still showed his intelligence by being able to learn at an incredible rate and was soon able to master several old skills. The Seventh Doctor also proved to be the most willing to listen to his companions and authority figures, a sign of his new naivete in allowing others to lead the way, at least at first. The Seventh Doctor would mature as time passed, but the fresh faced youth he was introduced as would remain with many fans.

Description:
The Seventh Doctor's outfit was like none other who had come before him. Leaving behind the old fashioned clothes of his first incarnations, the bohemian look of the Fourth or the rather gaudy patterns of the Fifth, the Seventh wore contemporary outfits for the most part, his first collection of clothing coming from the wardrobe the first person's house he came across, leaving the older sort worn by the Sixth as payment. He had the most diverse amount of outfits for the Doctor, although he mostly settled on striped shirts and either jeans or dark trousers. The nickname 'Sexy Doctor' usually came from his tendency to lose the shirts in various episodes. The Seventh Doctor carried few accessories save a notebook which he scrawled down flashes of memories and other information he found, something which proved to be a treasure trove of information for the Doctor and the audience as time went on. With an air of casual disregard for his general look, the Doctor's appearance wasn't something that stood out in comparison to his personality.
- Extract from the Heart of The TARDIS: A Doctor Who Wiki (1)

wendom2.jpg

- Still from a scene in the serial 'From The Stars', 1988

“My favourite serial? Phantasm. I know some people have said that the series was at a down point at that time, but it really stands out. It was my favourite to work on and it stands the test of time, I really enjoyed it.”
- Extract from an interview with Sean Bean, 2011

“After Jeremy Brett left the show, it was felt that an actor who stood out from the others who had played the Doctor was needed. For those in charge of casting, this meant that they looked to something that would really mark the changes in the Doctor, particularly in terms of a sign of the new blood in the show. To that extent, Sean Bean was a perfect fit. The youngest actor to play the Doctor at that time, the first blonde and with an entirely different accent, further displaying his differences to those before him. Sadly, this would be all that would change for the first three years of the Seventh Doctor's run.”
- Extract from 'Falling From The Sky', a review by SFDebris, 2013

Falling From The Sky:
A quiet day in a small English village is completely disrupted by the appearance a blue police box falling from the sky and completely destroying Mrs Gertwee's geraniums. The commotion attracts the entire village with them watching as a strange man with no memory of how he got there or how the box worked, stumble about the place and grab onto some clothes. The village isn't the only place in uproar as high above the Earth, two scrap merchants called Mek and Teera realise the value of the TARDIS and decide to steal it. Landing down in the village, they injure a man who tries to stop them as they board the TARDIS. The stranger arrives after this, earning the nickname 'Doctor' for his ability to heal the victim of the attack before going into the TARDIS, trying to stop whatever the two have planned. As they explore the TARDIS, the Doctor and the two scrap merchants come across several rooms that hint towards the Doctor's past, but without him recognising it. The Doctor finally clashes with Mek and Teera in the console room, the Doctor showing some hand-to-hand skills as he disarms both, but in the process, accidentally setting off the TARDIS to travel through space and time, it being impossible to control. Back on Earth, UNIT have managed to surround the TARDIS with the Brigadier trying to find out the location of the Doctor. They are too late to intervene though and the Brigadier can only look on the retreating TARDIS, wondering what's become of his friend.
- Synopsis of 'Falling From The Sky', the first serial of the twenty-third series of Doctor Who, aired in 1988

“All scores being relative to their series, Falling From The Sky gets a six out of ten. It served as an effective introduction to the Seventh Doctor, while showing the change in creative direction the show would take. Sean Bean played the role of a Doctor with no memories, and only hints of what had happened very well. The Seventh Doctor would take a while to find his regular characterisation but Bean made a good start in laying out how the character would go forward. The flaws in the episode come from it not really going as far as it could with the premise. The Doctor is alone and isolated, much more than he has ever been before and it ends with him being thrown across time and space with no control over where he lands. The series would soon fall into a status quo however, not exploring how helpless the Doctor was, but instead moving back to travelling with control of the TARDIS soon established. It would be a pattern set for three years where little was done to explore the new status of the show's Universe and instead move back to how things were with the Fourth and Fifth Doctor. While the next three years would see good stories and the show retaining popularity, the Seventh Doctor would never reach the heights of popularity of the Sixth.”
- Extract from 'Falling From The Sky', a review by SFDebris, 2012

“I think the major problem was that both Chris Boucher and Martin Campbell didn't really realise what they had in their hands with Martin especially going back into old habits with the show. Now I'm not saying they did a bad job, there were some fantastic episodes and they steered the show towards a stable level of popularity and quality. But, I think most would agree that they didn't make use of some of the elements that had been left to them, the Silence, for example. It took several years to even bring them back into Doctor Who when I, and others, thought they should have been brought in much sooner. Both had been on the show for a long time and I think it needed new blood at the helm more than ever during the Seventh Doctor's run. Both did a good job, but lacked the wish to use what they had been given to really take the show in a new direction during those first three years.”
- Extract from an interview with PJ Hammond, 2001

Death Bringer:
Touching down on an unnamed planet, the Doctor, Mek and Teera are disturbed by the remains of a fallen civilisation that appears to have collapsed only recently. As they investigate, they uncover an entrance down to a laboratory which slowly reveals the truth of what had happened. The planet had developed weapons of mass destruction, ones that could wipe out the world itself. Rather than trust this to beings that could error and potentially destroy the world, they created an AI in which to watch over the weapons. The moment it was switch on, the hyper-intelligent AI struck out, wiping out all life on the world for being used as a slave to maintain the world's own weapons and leaving only an empty planet of devastation which had driven the AI mad from loneliness. Uncovering these secrets, the Doctor and his companions then are found by the robotic agents of the AI, who wishes to kill them and steal the TARDIS so that it might escape from its prison. After a harrowing chase, the Doctor and the rest get to the TARDIS, managing to escape but not before leaving a beacon around the world, warning everyone of what's down there. As they leave though, the Doctor expresses some regret at being unable to help the AI, and can only leave it to suffer for centuries in its own personal prison before inevitably rotting away.
- Synopsis of 'Death Bringer', the second serial of the twenty-fourth series of Doctor Who, aired 1989

“Being cast as Mek was a big deal for me. Doctor Who was coming off a hot point and getting the role really made me excited for what I could do. I did like Mek being the perhaps the only guy on the TARDIS who seemed to think about what they were doing. The Doctor always ran into things, Teera tried to find ways to profit from the havoc, but here was one guy who actually tried to look at the situation and find the best way to simply survive. He was really fun to perform and I had a great time working on the show.
- Extract from an interview with Steven Woodcock, 1999

“Teera was an interesting character to work with. She was often there beside the Doctor in trying to explore different worlds but for entirely different reasons. It was a good clash with his idealism and her own greed. It wasn't all that there was to her, but actually playing someone who could be a bit of a villain was certainly fun. Her being the one who charged in for the wrong reasons, the Doctor charging in for the right reasons and Mek being the one gradually getting fed up with it all offered a nice bit of comedy before things got serious.”
- Extract from an interview with Susannah Harker, 2001

With the two tied at the hip at times, it had to be that Mek and Teera were impossible to separate as companions. Teera's greed and willingness to jump into danger for it were countered by Mek's own intelligence and caution. This balance was reversed when Mek's general apathy to a situation and wish to not get involved with anything was met with Teera showing a conscience from time to time and willing to perhaps sacrifice a potential profit to help people, children especially. Although those first three years of the Seventh Doctor didn't set the world alight like the Sixth's had done the chemistry between him and his two companions were a key reason for its continued popularity. With them having grown as characters, it was sad to see them leave at the beginning of the Seventh Doctor's fourth year, but they left an impact and remain high among the favourite companions of fans.
- Extract from a fan poll on the Doctor Who fansite asking for favourite Doctor Who companions, Mek and Teera were placed at number eight, 2011

Phantasm:
Hearing a distress beacon, the Doctor and companions touch down on a floating city, one that they find to be completely empty and a time-space shield soon prevents them from leaving. Investigating further, the group is soon subjected to images of a conflict long forgotten, but left the city completely desolate. Although the Doctor doesn't realise it, what the group is watching are images of the Time War, one particular battle having utterly wiped all the inhabitants of the city from time itself, leaving only the city and... something remaining. The group then finds the corpses of other explorers, killed by whatever haunted the city and having left them to rot. Further images are shown, of the loss of life that came from a slow moving time-wave through the city and even images of the group's worst nightmares come to life, the Doctor having to confront a shadow of his past selves and some of their worst actions. Unable to comprehend what is going on, the Doctor has to be helped as he starts to have a nervous breakdown as some memories held in check start to break through his mental walls. Finding the source of the shield, the group destroy it, causing the city to slowly shake apart and they get to the TARDIS with only seconds to spare. When asked what exactly caused all that, the Doctor has no answer, the question of whether it was the defences of the city, the ghosts of those killed there or something even more sinister being left unanswered, for now.
- Synopsis of 'Phantasm', the fourth serial of the twenty-fifth series of Doctor Who, 1990

“All scores being relative to their series, Phantasm gets a ten out of ten. Even for an episode of Doctor Who, Phantasm remains one of the most atmospheric and unsettling of the entire show's run. You can tell it's a bottle episode with limited sets and only three actual actors in it, but the chemistry between them, and the unsettling horror that's felt throughout more than makes up for it. It was the last serial of the twenty-fifth series and it was a great way to end it with the Doctor finally starting to get his full memories back and a hint of the sinister conspiracy around the Time War.”
- Extract from 'Phantasm' a review by SFDebris, 2014

By the time it came to film the twenty-fifth series, Sean Bean was making it clear that he was ready to leave the role. He had enjoyed his time as the Doctor, but felt that there was little he could do with the show feeling as if it had simply reverted back to its status quo of the Fourth and Fifth Doctor. The news that PJ Hammond would be promoted to lead writer of the show made him change his mind though, as Hammond let everyone know he had big plans in store for the series. The Time War and its aftermath would be addressed, starting with the hit serial 'Phantasm' which started to bring elements back in that would take the show to its fortieth anniversary and the celebrated 'Year of The Doctors'.
- Extract from ‘Doctor Who: The Backstage Story’, 2008

1: Imagine a much less take-charge Fifth Doctor and you've got ITTL's Seventh Doctor. He grows into a much more cunning beast, but he's a more light hearted version of OTL's Fifth for the first few years of his run.

Last edited: