Great. I like to think that Denver's Doctor would be like Colin Baker's incarnation. Underappreciated at the time, but more respected in hindsight.

Due to him being more popular in America than the UK, there's also that division as well. Those that watched his time on the show as kids will most likely have a fonder impression of him than those who were older. His episodes skewed towards a more family-friendly audience as well, so that would play into the pros and cons of things.

Chapter Thirty-Seven
Part Thirty-Seven: The Magnificent Seven:

“Would I change anything? No, not a thing.”
- Extract from an interview with Jeremy Brett, 1995

The Seven Stand:
As it seems that the Master is on the verge of victory, the Third, Fifth and Seventh Doctors are able to make their escape, using the Sonic Screwdriver of the Third to short out the electrical equipment in the facility and cause a fire, giving them enough time to escape. The First and Fourth Doctors, along with Alphys, are pushed back from their target, fleeing in time to escape destruction. Both groups return to Earth to rethink a plan just as the Brigadier and UNIT arrive to drive off the attackers against the Second and Sixth Doctors and Joxon. The Doctors all reunite and have to decide on a course of action.
- Synopsis of The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993

[Scene: A corridor where the Brigadier and UNIT are making their way through, stepping over the bodies of the alien beings who were previously attacking the Doctors. The group pause outside a door.]

BRIGADIER:
So, this is what they were after. Let's see what they were looking for.

SOLDIER:
I'm sorry, sir, but I can't let you through.

BRIGADIER:
What on Earth are you talking about?

SOLDIER:
This is a UNIT matter, sir. You're a civilian now. We're grateful to you for your expertise, but whatever's behind that door, we have to see to it.

BRIGADIER:
Now look here, I have seen greater horrors than anything you've come close to seeing today. I might not be as young as I was, but I am fully prepared for anything that might follow. I've spent my life defending this planet and with the uniform, or without it, nothing will stop me from doing my duty. I'm going to go through that door and face whatever threat is inside and I do not need your permission to do so. Nothing in that room will be able to shock me.

SOLDIER:
Very well, sir. On my command!​

[The soldiers get into position beside the door before the signal is given and one of them kicks it in, the group heading into the room, weapons drawn. The Brigadier head in after them, only to see that all seven Doctors now face him, ignoring the soldiers pointing weapons at them.]

DOCTORS:
Ah, Brigadier!

BRIGADIER:
… I was wrong.​

- Extract from The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993

The thirtieth anniversary of Doctor Who continued to have strong ratings that grew towards the climax of the series. Backstage, things proceeded smoothly as well. Both health concerns and fears over egos clashing were overstated in the end, not including some minor problems. The cast would work together well, with John Denver being noted for warming up after realising how much things had changed since he had last been on the show. The good feelings would last throughout the filming of the series, culminating in an after production wrap-up party that saw the cast being given commemorative models of the TARDIS to mark the occasion.
- Extract from Doctor Who: The Backstage Story, 2008

“It felt like something of a redemption for John Denver's role as the Doctor. There were a few light-hearted jabs at him from the other Doctors, but you did get a general sense that they all respected him as one of their own and the barbs were pretty much the same towards all the other Doctors from their other incarnations. The scene at the end of the series when the Doctors all say farewell to each other showed how the perception on the Fifth Doctor had eventually changed.”
- Quote from DoctorsTwelve, member of AlternateHistory.com, 2013

[Scene: The Doctors, Joxon, Alphys, the Brigadier and various UNIT soldiers are standing in the room, trying to come up with a solution.]

THIRD:
We must come up with something! Every second here is a second where that madman comes closer to rewriting the Universe!

FOURTH:
We are aware of that, it's actually doing something about it that's proving to be tricky.

FIRST:
He's thought of everything. Before long, the effects of the time compression will be almost irreversible.

BRIGADIER:
Is there nothing we can do? There must be a way we can attack him!

SEVENTH:
He's squirrelled away right at the time compression itself, he's impossible to reach.

JOXON:
So is that it, is everything over?​

[ A hush descends upon the room as no one says anything, only to be broken by the Fifth Doctor.]

FIFTH:
Unless... we can't get at the source, right?

FOURTH:
Not now, it's spread too far.

FIFTH:
Then we'll have to go around it itself, use all our TARDIS' at different points to reverse it.

SECOND:
What? The sheer amount of power needed would break our engines to smithereens!

ALPHYS:
You're saying it can't be done?

SECOND:
I'm afraid not. I'd be happy to give it a knock, but even if we had the power, it would take centuries alone to make the calculations in order to carry out such a scheme. And I'm said to say that centuries are something we're rather short on right now.

SIXTH:
That's not quite true though, is it? In fact, we have several centuries to work with, if we start at the beginning
.​
[There's a pause before everyone realises what he means.]

FIRST:
If I enter the calculations into my TARDIS now...

THIRD:
We can get the results back from him to feed it into our TARDIS' as well! If it goes right, we just might have the data needed to pull it off!

FOURTH:
Several hundred years of calculations done in an afternoon, not something they ever taught at Gallifrey.

SEVENTH:
We're still going to have to do this around the time compression itself, but if we're lucky, we can do it. All of us.

BRIGADIER:
Are you sure about this Doctor... Doctors? If you're going right into this time compression thing, isn't it more like a suicide mission?

FIRST:
Absolutely not!

SECOND:
Nothing like that!

THIRD:
There's a slight chance.

FOURTH:
Could happen.

FIFTH:
Kinda likely.

SIXTH:
A strong possibility.

SEVENTH:
Almost certainly.

BRIGADIER:
… I didn't know when I was well off.​

- Extract from The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993

With the plan decided upon, the Doctors head off with the Brigadier joining the Third Doctor and Joxon and Alphys going with the Seventh. Making their way towards the time compression, the Master watched, utterly confident that he can still emerge victorious and unaware of the true scale of what he faces.
- Synopsis of The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993

[Scene: The Doctors' plan is coming into action as the TARDIS' fly around the time compression, spreading out. The scene cuts from them to the Master as he watches. The focus turns to the communication screen in the Seventh Doctor's TARDIS as it lights up to show the Master.]

MASTER:
Is this the plan for you now then, Doctor? All seven of you going out in a hopeless blaze of glory?

SEVENTH:
Not hopeless, it's never hopeless. Now!​

[Joxon and Alphys twist dials on the console, sending a signal to the other TARDIS' as they sail through space, spreading out against the zone of the time compressions. Yellow lines start to appear between them, covering a wide area between the TARDIS'.]
FIRST:
Calculations are being input, ready to go.

SECOND:
Put them through, let's hurry it up!

THIRD:
I'll see to my end, you just see to yours!

FOURTH:
Of course, I'm doing my part.

FIFTH:
We've got you now.

SIXTH:
Focus on the weak spots!

SEVENTH:
Let's do this.​

[The area between the TARDIS' begins to grow and the lines thicken, spreading over the area and covering it. As it cuts back to the Master, he begins to show signs of nervousness.]

MASTER:
Clever, Doctor, clever. But you can't hope to contain the time compression now! Not with just the seven of you!

???:
How about twelve?​

[A shot is shown of space where a further five TARDIS' are shooting towards the time compression, linking up with the others as they spread the influence over the time compression zone. The Master's base shudders and starts to send sparks flying as the effects are felt.]

MASTER:
No! This can't happen! You can't do this!

SEVENTH:
Did you forget something? I'm the Doctor. I can do anything.​

[The twelve TARDIS' spread across the time compression zone, the yellow light encompassing more and more of it. The camera shifts between the Seven Doctors and the Master's chamber as the music builds up, the time compression being reversed and all the power directed against the nexus point of it. With a final explosion, the Master's chamber blows up with a scream heard over it and the time compression warps before fading away, leaving empty space in its absence]

“The time I had on Doctor Who was something that was a little hard to believe at times. I'd basically started out my career when I got the role for the Doctor. I enjoyed my time on it, but it came to the point when I wanted to move on to other things. After the thirtieth anniversary, I started looking into other roles to take on once I moved on from my time as the Doctor. It was a great point in my life and something I'll carry with me throughout my career.”
- Extract from an interview with Sean Bean, 2012

[Scene: The Doctors have said their farewells with only the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh remaining. They are on a country road with Joxon and Alphys having gone inside the Seventh's TARDIS.]

FIFTH:
Guess I better be hitting the road now myself.

SEVENTH:
Aye, I know you've got places to go. With the time stream getting back into things, best not wait.
SIXTH:
It was good to see you again.

FIFTH:
You too, fellas. Although this did remind me of how much the odd duck I am.

SIXTH:
Aren't we all? No Doctor is the same, something which I'm thankful for. We all have our particular strengths, things which make us stand out. You're the same as the rest of us in that. Some changes are needed to keep things fresh after all.

FIFTH:
I guess you're right. See you guys around, sooner or later.​

[The Fifth Doctor waves goodbye to them before heading into his TARDIS which then vanished.]

SIXTH:
I should be off as well, vital appointments, I'm sure you understand.

SEVENTH:
I do. And just... take care, alright?

SIXTH:
I will. Dark days are ahead, no doubt, but I know that we have hope. I'll go on in my own way and you in yours, hm?

SEVENTH:
Best way about it. You know, it was good to see myself in all the different ways. Reminded me of a lot of things, the ones I knew and the ones I've lost. Just how far I've come.

SIXTH:
There's more to come, no doubt. No matter what happens, whatever form we take in the future, there'll always be a Doctor to do what needs to be done. I'm happy to know that my succession is in such good hands.

SEVENTH:
And that my predecessors provided a path for me to follow.

SIXTH:
Don't be afraid to stray from it from time to time though. Until next time, Doctor.​

[The Sixth Doctor nods farewell and then heads into his TARDIS, Which vanishes. The Sixth Doctor watches him go and then looks up to the sky with a smile.]

DOCTOR:
Time to be on our way then.​

[The Seventh Doctor then goes into his TARDIS and the last of them vanish, leaving an empty roadside. The whirring sound is heard however and another TARDIS appears with the doors opening and someone looking around.]

EIGHTH:
[Tuts in annoyance] Late again.​

- Final scene from The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993

That was fantastic @DAv - really liked how you brought the next Doctors in there. Was the final battle all cgi?

I take apart from the 8th at the end none of the future Doctors say anything?

Wondering whom 8th is now...

That was fantastic @DAv - really liked how you brought the next Doctors in there. Was the final battle all cgi?

I take apart from the 8th at the end none of the future Doctors say anything?

Wondering whom 8th is now...

The final battle was a mixture of things that aged quite badly by the modern day. Still all good stuff. The Eighth Doctor is the only one who appears on screen as well as speaks since he was already cast at that point. I've a few candidates for the Eighth Doctor, not entirely sure which one to go with. Just wondering what to focus the next update on now more than anything, whether to go back to gaming or not.

The final battle was a mixture of things that aged quite badly by the modern day. Still all good stuff. The Eighth Doctor is the only one who appears on screen as well as speaks since he was already cast at that point. I've a few candidates for the Eighth Doctor, not entirely sure which one to go with. Just wondering what to focus the next update on now more than anything, whether to go back to gaming or not.
Who are your candidates?

Also:
Part Thirty-Seven: The Magnificent Seven:

“Would I change anything? No, not a thing.”
- Extract from an interview with Jeremy Brett, 1995

The Seven Stand:
As it seems that the Master is on the verge of victory, the Third, Fifth and Seventh Doctors are able to make their escape, using the Sonic Screwdriver of the Third to short out the electrical equipment in the facility and cause a fire, giving them enough time to escape. The First and Fourth Doctors, along with Alphys, are pushed back from their target, fleeing in time to escape destruction. Both groups return to Earth to rethink a plan just as the Brigadier and UNIT arrive to drive off the attackers against the Second and Sixth Doctors and Joxon. The Doctors all reunite and have to decide on a course of action.

[Scene: A corridor where the Brigadier and UNIT are making their way through, stepping over the bodies of the alien beings who were previously attacking the Doctors. The group pause outside a door.]

BRIGADIER:
So, this is what they were after. Let's see what they were looking for.

SOLDIER:
I'm sorry, sir, but I can't let you through.

BRIGADIER:
What on Earth are you talking about?

SOLDIER:
This is a UNIT matter, sir. You're a civilian now. We're grateful to you for your expertise, but whatever's behind that door, we have to see to it.

BRIGADIER:
Now look here, I have seen greater horrors than anything you've come close to seeing today. I might not be as young as I was, but I am fully prepared for anything that might follow. I've spent my life defending this planet and with the uniform, or without it, nothing will stop me from doing my duty. I'm going to go through that door and face whatever threat is inside and I do not need your permission to do so. Nothing in that room will be able to shock me.

SOLDIER:
Very well, sir. On my command!​

[The soldiers get into position beside the door before the signal is given and one of them kicks it in, the group heading into the room, weapons drawn. The Brigadier head in after them, only to see that all seven Doctors now face him, ignoring the soldiers pointing weapons at them.]

DOCTORS:
Ah, Brigadier!

BRIGADIER:
… I was wrong.​

The thirtieth anniversary of Doctor Who continued to have strong ratings that grew towards the climax of the series. Backstage, things proceeded smoothly as well. Both health concerns and fears over egos clashing were overstated in the end, not including some minor problems. The cast would work together well, with John Denver being noted for warming up after realising how much things had changed since he had last been on the show. The good feelings would last throughout the filming of the series, culminating in an after production wrap-up party that saw the cast being given commemorative models of the TARDIS to mark the occasion.
- Extract from Doctor Who: The Backstage Story, 2008

“It felt like something of a redemption for John Denver's role as the Doctor. There were a few light-hearted jabs at him from the other Doctors, but you did get a general sense that they all respected him as one of their own and the barbs were pretty much the same towards all the other Doctors from their other incarnations. The scene at the end of the series when the Doctors all say farewell to each other showed how the perception on the Fifth Doctor had eventually changed.”
- Quote from DoctorsTwelve, member of AlternateHistory.com, 2013

[Scene: The Doctors, Joxon, Alphys, the Brigadier and various UNIT soldiers are standing in the room, trying to come up with a solution.]

THIRD:
We must come up with something! Every second here is a second where that madman comes closer to rewriting the Universe!

FOURTH:
We are aware of that, it's actually doing something about it that's proving to be tricky.

FIRST:
He's thought of everything. Before long, the effects of the time compression will be almost irreversible.

BRIGADIER:
Is there nothing we can do? There must be a way we can attack him!

SEVENTH:
He's squirrelled away right at the time compression itself, he's impossible to reach.

JOXON:
So is that it, is everything over?​

[ A hush descends upon the room as no one says anything, only to be broken by the Fifth Doctor.]

FIFTH:
Unless... we can't get at the source, right?

FOURTH:
Not now, it's spread too far.

FIFTH:
Then we'll have to go around it itself, use all our TARDIS' at different points to reverse it.

SECOND:
What? The sheer amount of power needed would break our engines to smithereens!

ALPHYS:
You're saying it can't be done?

SECOND:
I'm afraid not. I'd be happy to give it a knock, but even if we had the power, it would take centuries alone to make the calculations in order to carry out such a scheme. And I'm said to say that centuries are something we're rather short on right now.

SIXTH:
That's not quite true though, is it? In fact, we have several centuries to work with, if we start at the beginning
.​
[There's a pause before everyone realises what he means.]

FIRST:
If I enter the calculations into my TARDIS now...

THIRD:
We can get the results back from him to feed it into our TARDIS' as well! If it goes right, we just might have the data needed to pull it off!

FOURTH:
Several hundred years of calculations done in an afternoon, not something they ever taught at Gallifrey.

SEVENTH:
We're still going to have to do this around the time compression itself, but if we're lucky, we can do it. All of us.

BRIGADIER:
Are you sure about this Doctor... Doctors? If you're going right into this time compression thing, isn't it more like a suicide mission?

FIRST:
Absolutely not!

SECOND:
Nothing like that!

THIRD:
There's a slight chance.

FOURTH:
Could happen.

FIFTH:
Kinda likely.

SIXTH:
A strong possibility.

SEVENTH:
Almost certainly.

BRIGADIER:
… I didn't know when I was well off.​

With the plan decided upon, the Doctors head off with the Brigadier joining the Third Doctor and Joxon and Alphys going with the Seventh. Making their way towards the time compression, the Master watched, utterly confident that he can still emerge victorious and unaware of the true scale of what he faces.

[Scene: The Doctors' plan is coming into action as the TARDIS' fly around the time compression, spreading out. The scene cuts from them to the Master as he watches. The focus turns to the communication screen in the Seventh Doctor's TARDIS as it lights up to show the Master.]

MASTER:
Is this the plan for you now then, Doctor? All seven of you going out in a hopeless blaze of glory?

SEVENTH:
Not hopeless, it's never hopeless. Now!​

[Joxon and Alphys twist dials on the console, sending a signal to the other TARDIS' as they sail through space, spreading out against the zone of the time compressions. Yellow lines start to appear between them, covering a wide area between the TARDIS'.]
FIRST:
Calculations are being input, ready to go.

SECOND:
Put them through, let's hurry it up!

THIRD:
I'll see to my end, you just see to yours!

FOURTH:
Of course, I'm doing my part.

FIFTH:
We've got you now.

SIXTH:
Focus on the weak spots!

SEVENTH:
Let's do this.​

[The area between the TARDIS' begins to grow and the lines thicken, spreading over the area and covering it. As it cuts back to the Master, he begins to show signs of nervousness.]

MASTER:
Clever, Doctor, clever. But you can't hope to contain the time compression now! Not with just the seven of you!

???:
How about twelve?​

[A shot is shown of space where a further five TARDIS' are shooting towards the time compression, linking up with the others as they spread the influence over the time compression zone. The Master's base shudders and starts to send sparks flying as the effects are felt.]

MASTER:
No! This can't happen! You can't do this!

SEVENTH:
Did you forget something? I'm the Doctor. I can do anything.​

[The twelve TARDIS' spread across the time compression zone, the yellow light encompassing more and more of it. The camera shifts between the Seven Doctors and the Master's chamber as the music builds up, the time compression being reversed and all the power directed against the nexus point of it. With a final explosion, the Master's chamber blows up with a scream heard over it and the time compression warps before fading away, leaving empty space in its absence]

“The time I had on Doctor Who was something that was a little hard to believe at times. I'd basically started out my career when I got the role for the Doctor. I enjoyed my time on it, but it came to the point when I wanted to move on to other things. After the thirtieth anniversary, I started looking into other roles to take on once I moved on from my time as the Doctor. It was a great point in my life and something I'll carry with me throughout my career.”
- Extract from an interview with Sean Bean, 2012

[Scene: The Doctors have said their farewells with only the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh remaining. They are on a country road with Joxon and Alphys having gone inside the Seventh's TARDIS.]

FIFTH:
Guess I better be hitting the road now myself.

SEVENTH:
Aye, I know you've got places to go. With the time stream getting back into things, best not wait.
SIXTH:
It was good to see you again.

FIFTH:
You too, fellas. Although this did remind me of how much the odd duck I am.

SIXTH:
Aren't we all? No Doctor is the same, something which I'm thankful for. We all have our particular strengths, things which make us stand out. You're the same as the rest of us in that. Some changes are needed to keep things fresh after all.

FIFTH:
I guess you're right. See you guys around, sooner or later.​

[The Fifth Doctor waves goodbye to them before heading into his TARDIS which then vanished.]

SIXTH:
I should be off as well, vital appointments, I'm sure you understand.

SEVENTH:
I do. And just... take care, alright?

SIXTH:
I will. Dark days are ahead, no doubt, but I know that we have hope. I'll go on in my own way and you in yours, hm?

SEVENTH:
Best way about it. You know, it was good to see myself in all the different ways. Reminded me of a lot of things, the ones I knew and the ones I've lost. Just how far I've come.

SIXTH:
There's more to come, no doubt. No matter what happens, whatever form we take in the future, there'll always be a Doctor to do what needs to be done. I'm happy to know that my succession is in such good hands.

SEVENTH:
And that my predecessors provided a path for me to follow.

SIXTH:
Don't be afraid to stray from it from time to time though. Until next time, Doctor.​

[The Sixth Doctor nods farewell and then heads into his TARDIS, Which vanishes. The Sixth Doctor watches him go and then looks up to the sky with a smile.]

DOCTOR:
Time to be on our way then.​

[The Seventh Doctor then goes into his TARDIS and the last of them vanish, leaving an empty roadside. The whirring sound is heard however and another TARDIS appears with the doors opening and someone looking around.]

EIGHTH:
[Tuts in annoyance] Late again.​

- Final scene from The Seven Stand, the third serial of the twenty-ninth series of Doctor Who, aired in 1993
tx9ek.jpg

Split between two at the moment:

Richard Griffiths or Alan Rickman. The former was always meant to get the role at some point, I believe, while the latter's career has changed enough to give him an opening into things.

Glad you enjoyed. Any particular moments that stood out?
The whole thing was exquisite!
Also here are some images I found for your potential doctors:

tumblr_o1b9xasPFu1r8fgv7o1_500.jpg
e171ff4d24171c9834bdba6f41c326a0.jpg

Last edited:
I'll mull it over as to their general looks, should be able to find something that'd make them stand out anyhow, depending on which one I use.

Personally Alan over Richard as the Doctor. Both are good, just something more intense about Alan for me, which I think the role needs.

Last edited:
Alan Rickman would make a good doctor. However although Richard Griffiths (scripts permitting!) would make an equally good, if very different, Doctor I can't see him being the Master if @DAv gives the Doctor to Alan Rickman whereas I can see it the other way. Perhaps I am too influenced by Henry Crabbe rather than Uncle Vernon or Pot Belly.
EDIT: Mind you I was truly impressed by the change from Professor Yana to the Master as acted by Derek Jacobi by just the expression and slightly diffrent carriage so perhaps I am doing Richard Griffiths a disservice, as he was a very accomplished actor.

Last edited:
Alan Rickman would make a good doctor. However although Richard Griffiths (scripts permitting!) would make an equally good, if very different, Doctor I can't see him being the Master if @DAv gives the Doctor to Alan Rickman whereas I can see it the other way. Perhaps I am too influenced by Henry Crabbe rather than Uncle Vernon or Pot Belly.

I'll echo that sentiment, I can't really see Griffiths being the Master and I think the character would be put on the shelf for a while anyhow. He's had a time compression reversed directly into his fizzog, so he's in no position to really do much of anything for a few years. Was also thinking the next few updates to be with the video game scene up until the mid-90's, if people are up for that diversion.

I'll echo that sentiment, I can't really see Griffiths being the Master and I think the character would be put on the shelf for a while anyhow. He's had a time compression reversed directly into his fizzog, so he's in no position to really do much of anything for a few years. Was also thinking the next few updates to be with the video game scene up until the mid-90's, if people are up for that diversion.

It doesn't mean that they can't think up another evil Time Lord character to substitute for the Master while he's out of commission. Personally I think the Valeyard was a good concept that wasn't really executed well. Or they can create an evil Time Lady character like a more well-written version of the Rani. Someone to at least temporarily fill the slot as the Doctor's evil opposite while the Master is out of the picture.

It doesn't mean that they can't think up another evil Time Lord character to substitute for the Master while he's out of commission. Personally I think the Valeyard was a good concept that wasn't really executed well. Or they can create an evil Time Lady character like a more well-written version of the Rani. Someone to at least temporarily fill the slot as the Doctor's evil opposite while the Master is out of the picture.

I was actually going to go into the next batch of writers who'd look to make a new opponent for the Doctor. Not sure if it'd be both of them, but they could bring along one character who'd be great as a Who villain.

You're into the mid-90s now... Gosh, there are so many wonderful actors to choose from for that era. But I can think of two or three that would be 'absolutely fabulous' to bring in.

You're into the mid-90s now... Gosh, there are so many wonderful actors to choose from for that era. But I can think of two or three that would be 'absolutely fabulous' to bring in.

Another possibility, true. Hard to decide as I'm sure there'll be a switch over before the millennium.