Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice you don't say what form the curse takes. I'm pretty sure the talking crockery idea was made up by Disney, but according to Wikipedia, the earliest written version has parrots and monkeys acting as servants in the Beast's castle.
I mainly wasn’t sure when I wrote this guest post what the servants were going to be cursed into. On one hand I could see them still getting cursed into furniture since the cursed servants turning into furniture seems to come from the 1946 film, but on the other hand Bluth really loves his talking animals and I could see him making them animals. In the end I couldn’t decide, so since they ultimately weren’t a major part of the plot here, I just left it vague.

Oh, and absolutely yes to the idea that the real villain of the piece is the person who cast the curse, even if does sound a lot more convoluted than "enchantress who over-reacted to being spoken to rudely" or the original "evil fairy who hated the prince for turning her down".
Admittedly I blame Bluth here for some of the convoluted nature, since Queen Livia is basically one of those original things that comes from what little info I could find on Bluth’s planned OTL BatB film.

See when I wrote this, I basically tried to simplify the plot (by combining characters and elements) of the 1946 film (which Bluth wanted his BatB film to be heavily based/inspired by) with the few bits and pieces of Bluth’s planned film we have info on (Queen Livia, the pegasus, wolves, etc). Since what little info we have on Livia from Bluth’s planned version is that she would have had a more convoluted plan that ultimately relates to her wanting Belle to leave the castle, I had to then try to combine that with the details of Beast’s curse in the 1946 film (him truly becoming a Beast if he were to reject humanity, Avenant becoming a beast after the Prince’s curse is lifted, etc).

Unless I missed something - basically, they actually turned Eros into a monster rather than make Psyche think he did (would certainly make the film less confusing...) - I don't think audiences would necessarily call Heart and Soul a Beauty and the Beast story.

What would be terribly interesting is if "Beauty and the Beast"-type stories (or any future adaptation of BATB itself) start taking details from Medusa and/or Heart and Soul (e.g. the 'Beast' doesn't change back or the 'Beauty' is a bit more proactive in breaking her love's curse), principally because the actual adaptation of Beauty and the Beast found itself playing catch-up.
No, Psyche was just made to think he was a monster in Heart and Soul just like in the original myth. Compared to Medusa the Beauty and the Beast story is only more loosely connected to Heart and Soul, but the original myth did inspire the original story of Beauty and the Beast, therefore it counts as a loose telling of the story.

Lovely.

Though NGL, I kind of prefer the OTL version.
Yeah to be fair it’s almost impossible to make a better telling of Beauty and the Beast than the OTL Disney. I basically realized from the beginning when writing this guest post that there was no way whatever I came up with was going to be better than the Disney version.

It doesn’t help that both this and the Disney version draw heavy inspiration from the 1946 film, so I also had to be careful not to completely retread on what the Disney film did, which isn’t easy since OTL Disney film made a number of small natural and logical changes to the story in order to simplify and streamline its plot, and many of those changes are the one I probably also would have also made in their shoes but can’t really do here.

A Frozen Heart worth Mining
To Thaw the Frozen Heart
From Animation Magazine, December 1998

Wife and Husband Brenda Chapman and Kevin Lima are the new Powerhouse Couple in Disney Animation, having worked together on such animated features as The Bamboo Princess, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, The Lion King, and The Swan Princess. More recently the couple produced the popular television animated series Princess Squad and Hero Squad. And Chapman and Lima most recently co-directed the reason why we are here today, Disney’s Holiday animated feature Heart of Ice, based on Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen, which released in movie theaters last month. And for any readers who haven’t yet seen it, be warned, as we will be discussing some critical plot points. Ahead thar be Spoilers. Ye have been warned.

220px-Frozen_%282013_film%29_poster.jpg

Yea, not quite this…

AM: Brenda, Kevin, welcome to Animation Magazine. We absolutely loved Heart of Ice (see our review in the November edition). From what we understand, it had one of the longest production runs in the history of Disney!

BC: Well, that’s the understatement of the year! (laughs) There was talk about adapting Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen since before the release of Snow White. They considered a deal for a hybrid animated feature with Sam Goldwin, who would do live action sequences on an Andersen biopic while Disney animated his stories. But then World War II happened and Goldwin went on to do the Andersen biopic with Danny Kaye, no animation, while Disney did wartime propaganda cartoons. They tried to reboot it again in the ‘70s as a theme park attraction, but ultimately it lasted until the 1990s when Harvey Firestein, who’d been doing voice work as a Telly the TV in The Brave Little Toaster, pitched the idea again, not knowing that it had been attempted before.

snowqueen.jpg

Early Snow Queen concept art from the 1970s (Image source “disneyparks.disney.go.com”)

AM: And that got the snowball rolling again.

KL: More or less. Glen Keane had begun pre-production and had done some initial storyboarding when two things happened: first, Glen was promoted to Creative Vice President of Disney Animation and delegated the project to Brenda, and second, we got word that Martin Gates was in production on an animated version of The Snow Queen for Penguin.

BC: Yea, that one caught us flat-footed. At first, we wondered if our eternal frenemies at Pearson had stabbed us in the back, but it turns out that they’d beaten us to the punch fair and square, Gates having pitched the idea in ’91 to Pathé before Pearson gobbled them up.

AM: And we hear that you needed to rewrite everything.

BC: Frankly, it needed a rewrite anyway.

KL: A bit of a fixer-upper, you might say.

BC: The original Andersen story is practically unadaptable for modern audiences, loaded to the gills with medieval-like elements and lots of 19th century quasi-Christian folklore like a troll named The Devil building a magic mirror hoping to prank heaven, which starts all the fun. Gates just made the Snow Queen herself into a, well, a Disney Villain and ran with that, basically following the Classic Disney formula.

KL: We nearly dropped the project, but then Brenda fell in love.

BC: I had this flash of inspiration to make it a mother-daughter story and a bit of a feminist retelling of the original Andersen story. You see, the earlier treatments with Glen were a sort of Taming of the Shrew idea as each suitor tried to woo the Snow Queen, sort of taking the “snow queen” metaphor for an asexual woman literally. I had the insight to make it about the queen herself and about Gerda and her family, taking the events of the original story and tweaking them.

AM: And this led you to start with Gerda and Kai’s childhood with their single mother.

BC: Yes, we start with Gerda and Kai as children, and they live with their mother Liva and grandmother Amelia in a modest cottage near the village of Kleinholm. The father was recently lost in a blizzard returning from a hunt and Liva is going into town to find a job. But rather than accept a job as a washer woman, she has ambitions to be more. She’s fully literate and intelligent, but keeps running into a brick wall of sexist rejection and told to find a job as a washer woman.

AM: Yes, the divine Bernadette Peters as Liva, singing “Will No One Hire?”

BC: Yes. Finally, she meets Baron Bendt von Teuffel, the lord of the village, who “recognizes great power” in her. He appears to take her in as a secretary, but instead he shows her the mirror.

AM: The mirror that only reflects the worst in people. The distortion effects that showed Liva herself as a monster were CG, we assume?

BC: Yes, done with some of the filter and skew effects. Naturally, thanks to the magic of the mirror she now sees herself as a monster. Bendt is hoping to turn her to darkness and become his servant and help him use the mirror to turn the hearts of men in a scheme to take over the Kingdom. But she sees the ugliness in him too and shatters the mirror, causing the dark powers to enter her, but also causing a shard of it to penetrate her heart, turning her dark and cold. Panicking, she runs off, never to be seen again.

KL: And that leads Gerda and Kai, who were told that their mother ran off, presumably to the Big City, to make their pact over the roses, swearing to always be there for one another. With that set up, we time-skip to Gerda and Kai as teens.

AM: That was a heart-wrenching scene, particularly with the song “Where Roses Bloom” sung over it. Which brings us to the soundtrack. The great Stephen Sondheim[1].

BC: Stephen was amazing, of course. I still can’t believe that Bernie managed to convince him to do it! When I made the request for Sondheim, pretty much as a shoot-for-the-moon unlikely best case, I assumed he’d say “no” but maybe have a suggestion, but apparently, he was at the time working with Jim [Henson] and Penny Marshall on the Into the Woods adaption[2] and was willing to give it a try after hearing from Freddie Mercury about his experiences working with Disney, and after seeing what we did with The Hunchback of Notre Dame. “I wish you’d approached me about that film,” he told us. Stephen, of course, had his list of demands. He’d write the music and lyrics and while he left the plot details and overall story to Kevin and me, he did insist on full control of the themes and a big input into the characterization, as in his music the themes and lyrics and characters are fully integrated and define one another. He also went beyond the usual handful of song breaks and was an active part of the storyboarding, with the musical aspect never really ending, just going into intermittent dénouement, and mixed seamlessly into the dialog and choreography and scene transitions. He was practically a third director at times!

AM: We hear that Sondheim is very…particular.

BC: (laughs) Good word there. Yes, he has a very set vision, but he’s amazingly wonderful to work with and very open to making sure that our vision was a part of it, and really worked with each actor and singer to in some cases customize the song to the strengths of the star. Of course, even then our poor actors had a bit of a time with the weird meter and cadence and tongue-twisting lyrics, particularly Lea [Salonga] who’d never done Sondheim before, but they all were glad for the opportunity.

AM: We assume a Broadway version is imminent?

KL: (laughs) Can’t say much, but there have been talks.

a956dbd4b472e6cfdbfd6162e17413fd.jpg

Scratch in his True Form (Image source Disney on Pinterest)

BC: Stephen of course brought Bernadette with him, also Tom Aldredge as Bendt and Brent Spiner and Danielle Ferland to play his shape-changing troll sidekicks Scratch and Bite. They had a lot of fun with “Come and See”, where Tom went full carnival barker trying to convince everyone to look into the new, bigger mirror that he has constructed, and Scratch and Bite take various human forms as shills. There was a lot of pressure to cut the song since it served little narrative purpose, but thankfully they let it slide when kids in the test group were glued to the live-action performance.

AM: It was a fun way to start the second act, so we’re glad they kept it.

BC: Us too! Well, that song set us up for a return to Gerda and Kai, now teens voiced by Lea Salonga and Richard Dempsey, and Gerda singing her “I Want” by way of her part of “Last of the Autumn Roses”, which of course also has Kai and Grandma Amelia, the incomparable Angela Lansbury[3], joining in the song with their lyrics. It’s there that we learn that while all the world sees Gerda as this perfect, flawless, pure-as-new-fallen-snow girl, she’s in fact full of doubt and anger and has a jaded view of the world, but puts on the façade that she believes that they all want to see.

AM: The “they see in me/the girl that they all want to see/but inside me/a once-raging fire now smolders/colder/the coldness it seeps/inside of me/the ice starts to stab ever deeper” lines.

KL: Yes, that one was total Sondheim, the “pure and perfect” Gerda from the Andersen tale deconstructed as a normal girl forced to assume the role chosen for her, but in fact far more complex than that. And you can absolutely thank Stephen for the way that the three roles are playing into and off of and over each other: Gerda is depressed and cynical, still reeling from her mother’s abandonment and wanting to “find her/and show her/this freezing heart/that she gave me” even as she lives the lie of innocence and purity. Kai is the naïve and star-eyed dreamer who sees “nothing but beauty” in the world, much to the cynical Gerda’s annoyance. Grandma Amelia is warning them to be careful of “dangers that lurk/and dangers that strut/the demons and trolls/and the Snow Queen”. Grandma is extra worried, particularly since they’re going to town to trade the harvest excess and the last of the roses for provisions for the coming winter.

AM: Which is where the Snow Queen is first mentioned and described by grandma as a threat.

BC: Naturally. “A heart of ice and snow/coldness in her veins”, and so on. Kai doesn’t believe in the Snow Queen, of course, and thinks it’s something his “worried” grandma came up with to keep them from venturing out “like mom did”, which he finds endearing but makes Gerda sigh. And grandma has reason to be suspicious in that regard, because Gerda’s “I Want” revealed that she plans to run off to the big city to find and confront her mother, ironically about to abandon her family to confront the mother who abandoned her.

KL: And the animation was a serious challenge since we basically follow the song trio as it becomes a duo in a sort of “animated oner” as Gerda and Kai leave on the wagon pulled by their far-too-smart reindeer Bae – Frank Welker, of course – and their duet blends into the reprise of “Come and See” as they get to town.

7ddcdfaed60592d9980bd1afb97263d6--frozen-disney-movies-frozen-characters.jpg

“What up, Bae?” (Image source Pinterest)

AM: And the trusting Kai wants to see the amazing mirror, of course!

KL: Of course, but then, of course these blending songs are joined by another chorus as the Snow Queen arrives, leading to “The Snow Queen” song. And not only was the timing of all of those merging and interplaying songs a beast, but we had to match up all of those complex lip movements and body language and flow and virtual camera movements, and coordinate with the ice and snow that followed in the Queen’s wake…whew!

AM: I guess calling it a challenge is an understatement.

BC: We ended up having the cast just perform on a stage and recorded and digitally rotoscoped it! It felt a bit like cheating, all said.

AM: Well, all said, the animation is spectacular, and rotoscoping isn’t cheating in our book. But then with the Snow Queen appearing, also tellingly voiced by Bernadette Peters, the action starts as she easily bests the guards sent to engage her, freezing them in a block of ice or sending ice shards after them. So much beauty and menace in the way the light catches or transits through the crystalline ice. And then more such stuff when she shatters the second mirror. The mix of the hand-drawn and CG sequences were superb.

KL: Well, thank you, of course!

BC: By this point we’ve already seen something was amiss in town, as the second mirror was turning people dark and argumentative. But with the mirror exploding, suddenly people are hit by its shards, all but Gerda, of course, who shelters with Bae behind the overturned cart. The shards go into the citizen’s eyes and hearts, making them coldhearted and pessimistic. Kai, of course, peaking up over the cart, gets shards in his eyes and can now only see the bad in the world. We had to mix the CG and drawn animation very carefully to make it look right. Gerda rushes to him, but he wants nothing to do with her and insults her badly, calling her out on her pessimism and cynicism and how “she left him too” in spirit despite her promise, even as he “now can see/the world that you see”. Instead, he is called by the Snow Queen, who takes him away with her on her sled of ice as Gerda pursues pointlessly on foot.

640px-The_Snow_Queen_by_Elena_Ringo.jpg

Vintage art by Elena Ringo (Image source Wikipedia)

AM: The way the language of the merging songs was cut up and seemed to fly apart reminded us of the ice shards, like the song was breaking too. Deliberate, we assume?

BC: Absolutely. Only Sondheim could have pulled it off!

AM: And then, after a spate of dialog, it’s on to “Go Forth”, sung to Gerda by Bendt and his two trolls, who have taken the form of crows at this point. He calls the Queen his “enemy oldest/a heart that is coldest” and that they have “goals in alignment for now” and even offers to take her “under his wing” should she succeed.

BRAVE-Concept-Art-Merida-Wide-Shot.jpg

Quite a bit like this, actually! (Image source “characterdesignreferences.com”)

BC: Yep, we thought that it would be fun to have the villain recruit the hero as a script-flip on the typical Disney formula. She’s crying and looks to a ship in the harbor bound for the City, as if planning even now to run away. But Bendt convinces her to travel to the Snow Queen’s palace and gives her a sword to slay the “Evil Queen” and rescue her brother.

AM: And this starts the adventure, riding Bae into the woods

KL: (laughs) Yea, I see what you did there! And yes, we made that joke in production, and tried to get Stephen to make some musical quotes for the scene, but he refused. Instead, “Rescue the Prince” is quite the adventurous song as she goes out into the frozen wilds.

BC: But that adventurous tone soon deliberately dragged through the montage of physical challenges, dropping from major to minor key, and finally fading out as Gerda collapses, exhausted at the half-frozen river. She’s then confronted by a giant of ice that chases her away and warns her to go no further. This becomes the dark point and her reprise of “Where Roses Bloom” becomes a forlorn song as she contemplates giving up and running away to the city, since “he left me with her/like she left me and him”, even as the trolls-as-crows try to goad her on, chanting in the background for her to “go and kill the Queen!”.

Frozen_concept_4.jpg

(Image source “filminspector.com”)

AM: And then she sees the frozen rose.

BC: An obvious visual metaphor, but it works! She sees it and is reminded of her promise to Kai as a kid, so she picks it, places it in her lapel, and crosses the frozen river and confronts the ice giant, but rather than kill it, she throws down the sword and surrenders, demanding that it take her to the Queen.

AM: Much to the annoyance of Scratch and Bite, of course.

f911a945df6da72187f38ee1180df7af.jpg

(Image source Kelsey Hood on Pinterest)

BC: Needless to say. So the ice giant takes her to the Snow Queen’s frozen castle, past an army of ice creatures, singing a slower, darker reprise of “Rescue to Prince” as she goes, the ice giant, voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft, singing counterpoint, with Scratch and Bite singing from a distance, afraid that the plan is about to fall apart and that their master will be angry at them.

AM: And then to the Queen herself.

KL: Yes, the big confrontation. She is taken before the Queen and sees Kai, who sits by the Queen’s side, a dark smile on his face. Animation wise, framing the 2-D characters within the 3-D of the palace structure proved to be fun as we worked it out, as you didn’t want the 2D figures to look flat, as it were. Shading and light did wonders there.

BC: So, this scene was the key to the film. We have your standard “Bond and Blowfeld” situation with the hero chained in ice and the antagonist looking down on her figuratively and literally. But the subtext of the dialog, which is feeding into the song “Heart of Ice”, because with Sondheim lyrics are dialog, is laden with multiple meanings. The queen is confronted for her evil, while she in turn confronts Gerda for taking sides with “that troll” Bendt von Teuffel. This exchange, with Kai’s dark judgements thrown in to question the hearts of everyone, leads to what Kevin called the “Darth Vader moment” when Gerda figures out that the Snow Queen is her mother, Liva!

Disney-Frozen-Concept-Art-e1567261161599.jpg

(Image source Screen Rant)

KL: Quite the surprise for those young ones who didn’t see it coming, or anyone not paying attention to the fact that Bernadette was playing both parts, though to be honest Stephen does like to ironically cast the same actors in two ironically contrasting roles, like having the same actor playing both the Big Bad Wolf and Prince Charming[4] in Into the Woods.

BC: And with the realization that the Queen is their mother, the Queen has Gerda taken away and put in the ice prison. But Scratch and Bite resume their troll forms and break her out, handing her the sword, again urging her, in a second, even darker reprise of “Save the Prince”, to slay her mother. But she instead tosses aside the sword and goes to find Kai. The “Save the Prince” reprise morphs into a hopeful but melancholy reprise of “When Roses Bloom” as she confronts him, and he is about to call the guards on her when she hands him the once-frozen rose, which has thawed out from her warmth. As they duet, he sheds tears, which wash away the shards, returning him to normal, more hybrid CG magic by Kevin and his team.

AM: And of course, the Queen walks in, and the sight of her two children embracing melts the heart of the Snow Queen, and her cold blue pallor warms back to her normal tone and she joins the embrace and kisses both on the forehead.

BC: Of course! It was our all-new really-old take on true love’s kiss from the platonic, familial perspective. Not a romantic kiss or romantic relationship in the film!

KL: In the end, Liva has a frozen heart worth mining.

AM: And that’s when Bendt arrives for the final battle.

BC: Of course! You have to end with an exciting climax! So Bendt appears, now in his true demonic form and wielding the sword that he’d given Gerda to kill the Queen, which erupts in flame and which he uses to easily slay the ice giant, who melts as he is stabbed. The Queen in turn gives her children armor and weapons if ice. An army of trolls appears and battles her ice creatures, Gerda and Kai battle Scratch and Bite, and the Queen has a magic duel with Bendt. We had a lot of fun with the fight choreography much as we had with the song choreography, all set to the fully instrumental “Fire and Ice”, which took musical cues from Finlandia in a reference to Musicana. Eventually, needless to say, they vanquish the trolls and Bendt is left frozen into a statue.

AM: And all return to the village to live happily ever after, of course.

KL: Yes, after Gerda, Kai, and Liva use the power of love to free the hearts of the citizens, they, needless to say, elect Liva as their new Baroness.

AM: And the big celebratory ice show, where you got to demonstrate the full range of kaleidoscopic effects in the new DIS mark IV and AVE virtual environment, of course!

BC: Oh, definitely! We wanted to push the limits of the technology, which we did using a lot of the emerging virtual camera technology developed with the next generation AVE. We were still not quite ready to do a full 3D CG film with people. Hair remains a serious challenge. I’d have loved to have Gerda’s hair blowing and bouncing in the winds in fully rendered CG, but that’s probably a few years out. My good friend Joe Ranft, who runs the animation group formerly known as 3D, did some test animations, but the hair just looked awful, though the skin effects and movements are looking significantly better than they did with Jack on Secret Life of Toys. And damn…I so wanted to do the first all-CG Disney Princess!

KL: Brenda…let it go.

AM: And all of that innovation and the numerous takes and live performances and Sondheim didn’t come cheap. Heart of Ice became the first animated film to cost over $100 million.

BC: Yea, Finance wasn’t happy with us on that score and I hear the cost was causing issues on the board during the whole Shepherds thing…oops, sorry, Jim!

AM: That said, things look positive. We’re still just a couple of weeks into the theatrical run as of this printing, but already the box office has been huge. We predict another big hit for Disney Animation, possibly the biggest numbers for a Disney film in a while[5]. Critics are enthralled, there’s awards buzz already[6], and children and parents alike are reacting strongly to the familial love as opposed to romantic love aspect.

BC: Well, little girls really reacted to it in a way that they typically don’t with romantic love, which they can’t really understand yet. But every girl has a relationship with their brother and mother and the like, so that connected better than kissing the prince and getting married ever could.

KL
: And little boys too. The common adage that girls will see a film led by a boy, but not vice versa, is finally being exposed for the BS that it is.

AM: And that brings us to the end. Thank you both for speaking with Animation Magazine.

BC: It was my pleasure!

KL: Mine as well!

AM: Heart of Ice is playing in theaters now.

The Snow Queen (1995)
From “Eight Mockbusters of the last 25 years Actually Worth Seeing,” CulturePolice.co.uk Netsite, June 26th, 2012

220px-The_Snow_Queen_%281995_film%29.jpg

What it cashes in on: Heart of Ice…sort of accidentally, after the fact

Notable actors: Dame Helen Mirren, Hugh Laurie, Rik Mayall

Whom to blame: Marvin Gates

Why it’s worth your bloody time:

It’s the “mockbuster” that’s not really a mockbuster! So, you there in the comments already typing away, yes, The Snow Queen predates the film it’s accused of copying, making it the exception that proves the rule! But ironically after only scraping together a few million in theaters when released in 1995, it found new life in video stores and shady retail stores when Disney’s mega-hit Heart of Ice was released three years later.

And it’s a pretty bloody good animated feature, really, even if it’s perpetually overshadowed by the Disney film it’s still being mistaken for by clueless grandmothers everywhere, with Disney Brats bawling when they unwrap the Christmas parcel the world over.

With the divine Dame Helen Mirren in the titular role, it’s got star power on top of quite good animation and a good if largely formulaic story. And in a shift from both the original Hans Christian Andersen story and the later Disney film, the Queen is a stone-cold diabolical bitch and a half, a true villain of the Maleficent and Cruella mold who eats up the frozen scenery like it was her own personal ice cream bowl. And the heroic little girl, named Ellie in this version, is out to rescue her brother, named Tom, from the Queen. But the bitch has taken a few tips from Lex Luthor and has arranged the whole kidnapping as a ruse to lure Ellie into a trap, where she’ll use Ellie’s pure heart to make an elixir of life!

Dame Helen, you willey, evil bitch! Please marry me.

The Snow Queen was a flop at the Box Office, but became an accidental hit on home video three years later, shoring up the struggling Marvin Gates Animation Studio. It also spawned a series of low-budget sequels starting with 1996’s The Snow Queen's Revenge and two more quickies shat out in the aftermath of Heart of Ice that hardly bother mention. Of course, for Cheese Aficionados, do see the sequels for the horror of it all, but no, Dame Helen is not there, though Hugh Laurie is there on the first one.

But even non-cheese heads will find lots to like in The Snow Queen as a good, if not exactly spectacular, animated feature, which marks one of the few feature film animation releases by a wholly British team. And for this parochial bastard, that’s worth a lot right there!

[1] Requiem in Pace, Mr. Sondheim!

[2] Medieval peasant’s hat tip to @nick_crenshaw82.

[3] RIP Angela! Never a teapot in this timeline, but in our hearts none the less.

[4] One of my biggest issues with our timeline’s 2014 film version of Into the Woods was having different actors for the two roles (Johnny Depp and Chris Pine). Having both parts be played the same actor is the bloody point in the casting, the two faces of predatory toxic masculinity as it were.

[5] Will ultimately be re-released in the Spring of 1999 and ultimately break $635 million at the international box office, Disney’s biggest animated hit in a while. It most directly faced Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun and West of the Moon on the animation front and likely would have broken $800 million or more had it not faced the competition.

[6] Will win the Best Animated Feature Academy Award and Best Comedy or Musical Golden Globe, along with a nomination Best original Song for “Where Roses Bloom” (losing to “Butterfly of the Soul” from My Tennessee Mountain Home), and numerous Annies. In a strange internal honor, it will be retroactively added to the WED Signature line in honor of the film’s artistic merit, in large part due to the Sondheim score, making it by far the most profitable WED-sig title.

Last edited:
This looks EPIC!

And that's another "old project since Walt's day" ticked off - just Beauty and the Beast (unless it's retroactively confirmed they scratched that itch with Medusa) and Rapunzel left to go!

(No pressure!)

Now I was personally suspecting that it'd go with the Alan Menken/Glenn Slater thing (romance between Snow Queen and Kai, with Gerda as villainous "gold digger"), but... yeah, I'm glad I was wrong, in hindsight... partly because Medusa did that.

A couple of things - whilst, obviously, with Brenda Chapman, there's elements of Brave (mum ends up with some sort of magical "curse", daughter ends up having to free mum from curse and ends up repairing strained relationship). I also note a bit of Ibsen's A Doll's House in the setup...

Also... is Gerda the "icy princess" mentioned in the Disney Princess post (and "icy" referred to her personality) or is something else planned, @Geekhis Khan?

Deleted member 165942

I think Andersen would be a lot happier with this adaptation of his work over Frozen, whenever I think of how he would react to Frozen I always get this image of FGO's Andersen using every insult in his vocabulary while being genuinely upset about it.

So that's how The Snow Queen gets adapted ttl. I think I like it more than otl actually!
BC: Yes, done with some of the filter and skew effects. Naturally, thanks to the magic of the mirror she now sees herself as a monster. Bendt is hoping to turn her to darkness and become his servant and help him use the mirror to turn the hearts of men in a scheme to take over the Kingdom of Norway. But she sees the ugliness in him too and shatters the mirror, causing the dark powers to enter her, but also causing a shard of it to penetrate her heart, turning her dark and cold. Panicking, she runs off, never to be seen again.
This irks me a bit though. Is it based on Frozen, where Arrendelle is set in Norway? Because, it is originally a Danish adventure after all... I guess the patriotic part of me is just bothered that our big poet hero's work is being considered Norwegian in the Disney canon ttl too hahah

relley liked this(probably one of my faveioute of the TTL only Disney cannon so far). why the odd shout outs to frozen in the interview irked me a bit, for we all know inetrviews for film in our timeline are filled with shout outs to parallel universe versions of themselves

I'd definitely watch this. I'd sayt its even better then OTL's film.
BC: I had this flash of inspiration to make it a mother-daughter story and a bit of a feminist retelling of the original Andersen story. You see, the earlier treatments with Glen were a sort of Taming of the Shrew idea as each suitor tried to woo the Snow Queen, sort of taking the “snow queen” metaphor for an asexual woman literally.
Honestly, this too.

I definitely like this version over Frozen. It might not be as popular as its OTL counterpart but it still retains the spirit of the original story and the plot tries to stray away from common Disney tropes (including modern ones like the twist villain), so it's no wonder that I prefer this over the OTL film.

Goddamnit...

I already feel chills over this. 🥶

And that's another "old project since Walt's day" ticked off - just Beauty and the Beast (unless it's retroactively confirmed they scratched that itch with Medusa) and Rapunzel left to go!
There's no way Disney is going to do BaTB. They'll invoke the wrath of Don Bluth/Michael Eisner (something that Henson and the Disney family are probably keen on avoiding) and I'm pretty sure that Medusa is going to scratch that itch anyways. Rapunzel is probably going to happen at some point, which is something I'm pretty excited to see from Disney Animation.

If they do I'm wondering if something like tangled adventure comes out (Zhan Tiri is one of the more underrated Disney baddies).

To Thaw the Frozen Heart
From Animation Magazine, December 1998

Gerda rushes to him, but he wants nothing to do with her and insults her badly, calling her out on her pessimism and cynicism and how “she left him too” in spirit despite her promise, even as he “now can see/the world that you see”.

This is a nice result of making Gerda more cynical than the book -- the mirror is aligning Kai with her, even as it tears them apart.
BC: But that adventurous tone soon deliberately dragged through the montage of physical challenges, dropping from major to minor key, and finally fading out as Gerda collapses, exhausted at the half-frozen river

So I take it most of the Random Events Plot from the book is gone? Probably wise. And if you know there's a more faithful adaptation in the works, why do the same thing they're doing?
KL: Quite the surprise for those young ones who didn’t see it coming, or anyone not paying attention to the fact that Bernadette was playing both parts, though to be honest Stephen does like to ironically cast the same actors in two ironically contrasting roles, like having the same actor playing both the Big Bad Wolf and Prince Charming[4] in Into the Woods.

This is where TTL me would probably get too genre savvy, and start thinking "Am I just supposed to think they're the same person, and the big reveal is going to be that they're not? Like in Batman: Fear of the Reaper, when the Reaper had the same voice actor as Judson Caspian, even though it was actually Rachel? I'm not falling for that again!"

BC: Of course! It was our all-new really-old take on true love’s kiss from the platonic, familial perspective. Not a romantic kiss or romantic relationship in the film!

I do like that this aspect of Frozen still exists in this version of the story. (Indeed, more so, because it looks like there isn't even a bad romantic relationship -- it's just not a thing any of the characters are thinking about right now.)

I so wanted to do the first all-CG Disney Princess!

Had to be done, I suppose. :)

The Snow Queen (1995)
From “Eight Mockbusters of the last 25 years Actually Worth Seeing,” CulturePolice.co.uk Netsite, June 26th, 2012
Just wanted to make sure everyone knows this exists OTL and is indeed worth your bloody time.

Thanks, all for the kind words. It was a bit of a challenge adapting Snow Queen in a way that worked, so I'm glad that it did.

A couple of things - whilst, obviously, with Brenda Chapman, there's elements of Brave (mum ends up with some sort of magical "curse", daughter ends up having to free mum from curse and ends up repairing strained relationship). I also note a bit of Ibsen's A Doll's House in the setup...
Definitely added some Brave to it, and as to A Doll's House (quickly Googles, amazed at parallels), um...YEA, totally my intent. Planned all among. Not just a random coincidence. I'm incredibly well researched in 19th Century Danish literature, you know. :rolleyes:

Also... is Gerda the "icy princess" mentioned in the Disney Princess post (and "icy" referred to her personality) or is something else planned, @Geekhis Khan?
Yes, though technically not a true "princess". Becomes a Baronet (if that's the word) at the end, though.

I think Andersen would be a lot happier with this adaptation of his work over Frozen, whenever I think of how he would react to Frozen I always get this image of FGO's Andersen using every insult in his vocabulary while being genuinely upset about it.
Probably, since there's at least some resemblance to his work. Not having a "Hans" be the psychopathic manipulative gold digger helps.

This irks me a bit though. Is it based on Frozen, where Arrendelle is set in Norway? Because, it is originally a Danish adventure after all... I guess the patriotic part of me is just bothered that our big poet hero's work is being considered Norwegian in the Disney canon ttl too hahah

You're totally right. My bad and rather irked I let OTL suck me in.:firstimekiss:I'll just remove any mention to any Kingdom, frankly, since Disney rarely sets things in a specific place. Much of the scenery will be inspired by Norway and Sweden, though, simply because while I absolutely LOVE Denmark, it's kind of flat.

relley liked this(probably one of my faveioute of the TTL only Disney cannon so far). why the odd shout outs to frozen in the interview irked me a bit, for we all know inetrviews for film in our timeline are filled with shout outs to parallel universe versions of themselves
They absolutely are, didn't you notice?

Take this interview from OTL with Brenda Chapman:

Full of references to her 2008 animated film Flight of Freedom from this timeline and its hit songs "Break the Mold", "Get Over Yourself", and of course the Oscar-winning "The Way it Is".

Glad you liked the adaption, though, thanks!

There's no way Disney is going to do BaTB. They'll invoke the wrath of Don Bluth/Michael Eisner (something that Henson and the Disney family are probably keen on avoiding) and I'm pretty sure that Medusa is going to scratch that itch anyways. Rapunzel is probably going to happen at some point, which is something I'm pretty excited to see from Disney Animation.
Yes, Disney BatB is alas butterflied. Bluth beat them to the punch in this timeline. Can't have everything.

So I take it most of the Random Events Plot from the book is gone? Probably wise. And if you know there's a more faithful adaptation in the works, why do the same thing they're doing?
Very much yes. Honestly, I see why Disney struggled with The Snow Queen. It's great for "read a chapter to your kid at bedtime" but practically unadaptable as a feature film without some major changes and deletions.

EDIT and ANNOUNCEMENT:

New Reader Contest: be a part of the Disney Animated Canon.

Details (and place to post ideas, don't SPAM this thread) here:

Last edited:
You're totally right. My bad and rather irked I let OTL suck me in.:firstimekiss:I'll just remove any mention to any Kingdom, frankly, since Disney rarely sets things in a specific place. Much of the scenery will be inspired by Norway and Sweden, though, simply because while I absolutely LOVE Denmark, it's kind of flat.
To quote one of my English cousins: “Denmark is nothing but flatlands full of farm animals”. You’re both right though hahah. Having him loosely reference a frozen north also works, since it could be an allusion to the Kalmar Union days

To quote one of my English cousins: “Denmark is nothing but flatlands full of farm animals”. You’re both right though hahah. Having him loosely reference a frozen north also works, since it could be an allusion to the Kalmar Union days
Having it be set in a Scandinavian-like location does mean The Snow Queen gets to be used in a ride for the Norway Pavilion like OTL Frozen, which I think is going to be a positive, as long as it doesn't replace Maelstrom.

The New Normal
Chapter 18: Chairman of the Board (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Jim Henson: Storyteller, an authorized biography by Jay O’Brian

The board celebrated “Chairman Jim” in the aftermath of the proxy fight, though as usual he deflected credit to the Legal Weasels and others on the team. Still, all had been impressed that he had managed to keep his calm and focus in the midst of all of the relentless attacks to his reputation, and even to his credibility and humanity, and how he had managed to in turn calm all the directors and major stakeholders. He’d even managed to defuse the lingering tensions and distrust between the Disneys. Even Nelson Peltz expressed his admiration at the strong defense, admitting that he’d underestimated Henson and had expected to overwhelm him rather quickly.

And as a proverbial cherry on top, the LA Rams had a winning season led by Jerome Bettis’ rushing game, making it to the playoffs for the first time since Disney made a deal with the team, though losing to the Atlanta Falcons in the quarter finals. The breakout success of NBC’s surprise hit Rent only added to the sense that Happy Days were Here Again.

The compensation committee awarded Henson with a very large bonus based on a percentage of company revenues. It was enough to pay down a critical mass of the massive personal debt that he had accumulated when buying shares during the Shepherds’ run, which he had bought directly at great personal expense rather than take a risk on margin buys. Even then, he’d spent a lot of his personal wealth on the effort.

“It’s a good thing that I’ve been such a cheapskate all of these years,” he joked to Stanley Gold, referring to the large amount of liquid or easily liquidated capital that he’d retained after over a decade of not really spending much of his large personal fortune. At the advice of Al Gottesman, much of it had been tied up in simple, easily-liquidated stock funds, bonds, and other broad and diversified investments, and done largely to take advantage of the lower tax rates for Capital Gains compared to direct income taxes and with low interest rates making savings less valuable. Other than fancy cars and vacations and other “toys and games”, Jim had few extravagances. Where Ron had a Napa Valley chateau and several vacation homes and Roy lived in Beverly Hills and owned an Irish Castle, Jim’s largest expenses most years had been charitable in nature.

The admiration did honestly make him feel appreciated, even though he’d frankly been glad to just keep Disney safe from “greedy short-term profiteering” in whatever form that it took. Still, as he worked with Nelson Peltz, he gained a level of respect for him and his goals. Nelson was a died-in-the-wool capitalist and had some very specific ideas on government power and the evils of taxation, but his sense of duty to the rights of the shareholders struck Jim as honorable in its way. While Jim generally supported an egalitarian view and honestly had no issues paying his taxes or seeing his taxes go to welfare programs, his innate dislike of partisan politics allowed him to shrug off the strong political opinions expressed by others that might have led to an argument with a more overtly partisan and confrontational person.

Jim did with Nelson what he always did: find and focus on his positive traits, like his friendly nature, powerful mind, and sense of duty. Nelson also greatly complimented Jim on what he had done to support the Holocaust Museum[1] and Holocaust awareness via Maus and Schindler’s List. “I feel a debt of gratitude there,” he told Jim, “And it frankly makes my expressed desire to kill WED-sig a bit conflicted, to be honest.”

“WED-sig is a force for beauty and charity,” Jim told him. “We never expected it to make money, though sometimes it has and Mike [Bagnall] and Rich [Nanula] got a lot of good tax write-offs from it over the years. It’s also an expression of our skills as animators and has won us many awards and attracted amazing talent to us. And it serves a secondary purpose: it increases our animator’s skills and keeps them engaged and productively employed. We have developed some amazing cost-saving techniques through WED-sig projects and would have spent about five dollars in overhead with idle animators over the same period for every seven dollars that we’ve spent employing them on WED-sig projects[2].”

“Could you put them towards more popular animated features or TV?” Nelson asked.

“Perhaps,” Jim replied, “But then we’d run the risk of stepping on our own toes. With so many competing studios now, including my two daughters’ two studios, there’s enough external competition that there’s little point in creating internal competition.”

“Why have the extra employees?”

“We need the surge capacity for finalizing a big feature,” he replied. “The final months of a production are an all-hands-on-deck affair in many cases, just to ‘fill the reels’ as it were. Back in the old days they’d lay off the excess animators between projects, but then they’d spend almost as much retraining them or training their replacements when they brought them back later for the next surge. And that was before every other studio spun up an animation division once we proved there was a market. We’d end up spending just about as much as we end up spending on WED-sig, and without the revenues from the releases and home media, and without the statues and other accolades that bring brand recognition and attract the best talent, keeping us positioned to be the continued industry leaders.”

“From the outside it just looks like a money sink. Thirty million spent, five million earned. On the surface, it looks like madness,” Norman said.

“‘Yes ‘tis madness, but there is method in it,’” said Jim, misquoting Hamlet.

“And here I thought you just did it all for the art,” Peltz laughed.

“I do,” Jim replied, “But that doesn’t mean that I can’t serve shareholder interests at the same time!”

“I think I’m catching on to your game, Jim.”

“My only ‘game’ is the fun that I have riding this whole crazy teacup ride!”

Jim got on well with Bill Ackman from the start, the two of them sharing environmental and social concerns. Even so, Bill’s energy could be intense. And at first Bill and Nelson had clashed, arguing over unions and employee compensation and charitable deductions. And yet despite their partisan and political differences, Bill and Nelson shared a deep understanding of business and finance and of the capabilities and limitations of market capitalism.

“I’d assumed that Nelson was some sort of reactionary plant at first,” said Bill, who’d been caught up in the drama of the Shepherds’ run and proxy fight. “I’d associated him with neo-Pharoses like Falwell and Robertson – guilt by association – but his goals were more nuanced.”

“When Bill pressed me on the Shepherds,” Nelson recalled, “I could do nothing but admit the truth: that I’d made a deal with the devil, thinking that the ends would justify the means. They didn’t. I’ve had to reevaluate my choice of allies a lot of late since several of them failed me, badly.”

With Peltz’s reputation with Ackman salvaged, the two set out to find common ground despite their disparate politics. And the truth was, there was plenty of common ground on the Activist Investor front. With the unbiased eyes of outsiders, both could clearly see the structural weaknesses in the Disney organization, particularly once they, as directors, had access to confidential financial and organizational records. Wells and Kinsey had produced an efficient operations machine over all, but the little nods to internal politics, personal blind spots, and broaching the inherent gap between the creative and fiscal sides had led to some redundancies in management and inefficiencies in process, leading to unnecessary overhead.

Assembling a team of management consultants and looking at the latest theories in ISO 9000 and Lean/Six Sigma, they convinced CEO Stan Kinsey and CFO Rich Nanula that there was a real opportunity to implement a system of changes and process improvements that could hypothetically net big returns. The two, along with Jim, agreed to this in principle. For the most part, there was wide agreement with the findings. Once the redundancies of the bureaucracy or the little extraneous steps in administrative or operational processes were pointed out, they became obvious in hindsight. Process flow improvements and reduction in redundancies and overhead were initiated. Unfortunately, and unavoidably, this resulted in layoffs and lost jobs, primarily within the administrative and middle management areas. This led to conflict, naturally, as various middle managers and junior executives struggled to justify their positions or find a new one within the larger Disney organization. Despite his busy schedule, Jim made it a personal mission to meet with every lost employee, weather their anger at times, and give them a good letter of recommendation for “their next adventure”.

“I let him have it,” said one manager, “but he was very sympathetic and understanding about it and I found it hard to stay angry. He put in a good word for me at Fox and I found a job there.”

On the area of employee compensation, however, there was plenty of disagreement. Nelson wanted severe cuts to perks and benefits and bonuses. Jim opposed this, sticking to his mantra of “you get what you pay for.” And debates on salaries got heated at times. But the simple fact remained that they were in an increasingly competitive field on all fronts: studios, animation, and even parks; and the “industry norms” that Peltz was citing were growing every year. The fact was that there were no “easy wins” from cutting pay and benefits without risking losing the skill sets that made Disney not just competitive, but the industry leader. Even Peltz had to ultimately acknowledge that it was increasingly a “seller’s market” when it came to talent, and seeing the diminishing returns ahead of him on this strategy, relented.

But the hard fact remained that personnel costs were growing every year, and the potential profits from film, particularly animated film with competition growing on all fronts, were dropping. Ultimately, they tried to find ways to restructure retirement and other benefits programs to reduce long term operating costs and stabilize long term solvency using market-based strategies and reinvestment. This saved an amazing amount of money over time, even earning a profit through capital gains in some quarters as pension funds were invested, not just left in a bank, and did so without making too much of an impact on individual employees. They reduced the perceived risk of “what if the market crashes two days before I retire?” by setting up a system where the investments move over time into lower risk, lower return funds and bonds, subject to employee preferences, such that large gains could be made early on by following the stock indexes while low-risk, lower gain “keep what you earned” strategies could take over later in their career. Even so, there was pushback for even touching the third rail of pension plans, especially from the unions, and ultimately many existing employees were able to negotiate being “grandfathered” into the older structures.

On the area of unions, things got heated. Bill created a firestorm by suggesting that the unions should be given a representative of their choice on the board itself, something that he’d seen successfully implemented in Europe. “It will give them a direct stake in business outcomes,” he said, “and thereby alleviate the old tension between management and workers by aligning the end goals.” Jim was receptive, but he was pretty much the only one, with both sides of the Disney family considering it practical blasphemy.

They were able to reduce discretionary spending by renegotiating third-party contracts, in particular finding cheaper suppliers (as long as they lived up to Jim’s strict quality standards). Corporate Sponsorships were renegotiated or replaced entirely in some cases, and surprisingly good reductions in operating costs were achieved through refinancing and consolidating debt. Automated financial systems were upgraded and made more efficient with newer technologies and improved processes. But Nelson’s plans for scaling back child actor supports and “healthy eating” options at the Resorts were non-starters, deemed to be in conflict with Disney’s Corporate Values.

Technology offered new efficiencies. Simply upgrading the IT equipment managed to give ongoing gains with a relatively minimal upfront cost, and did so while appealing to the Imagine, Inc., unit’s technophilia. Jobs and Imagine, Inc., President Leonard Tramiel acquired and installed new and more efficient computer servers, which simultaneously cut operating costs, reduced lag, improved data backup, reduced power use, and improved computer security. They expanded Disney’s digital presence on the World Wide Web and created new revenue streams through online content options, all with a negligible increase in operating costs. While a far cry from the later Disney Direct, for the time it was a highly rated website.

Working with President Dick Nunis and Resorts & Recreation Chairman Judson Green, efficiencies were found for the parks. This included modest increases in ticket, parking, and hotel prices as “low hanging fruit” and a quick win that saw a quick return in revenue growth. They implemented new technologies and processes and training with an eye towards reducing “ride-to-wait” ratios, which could improve user experience while also boosting visitor through-put, and thus spur daily attendance by reducing “overcapacity” situations. Dick and Judson at first resisted this strategy, maintaining that they’d already maximized these efficiencies, but Steve Jobs cited new technologies and computer simulations for developing new strategies and further process improvements. This led eventually to the Magic Pass system.

Facilities improvements were implemented, with upgrades to electrical and mechanical systems that reduced maintenance and improved energy efficiency. Even small, simple things like automatic lights and energy efficient systems made a surprising impact in reducing overhead, which across the global enterprise added up fast and shocked the board with just how much savings this simple change accomplished. The excess power generation from Disney’s internal power plants and renewable sources with this reduced load demand could then be sold to third parties for additional revenue streams, or shunted into energy storage like the “don’t call it a Walt’s Head” Cryogenic plant that had so amused comedians for peak shaving or to ride through idle periods in renewable systems.

Another revolutionary revenue source was identified by Nelson: unused space! Unused floorspace in various Disney-owned buildings and even land at Walt Disney World in particular, where hundreds of thousands of acres sat idle, could be rented out. Disney was already making side revenue renting their studio and set space to outside studios and houses and cabins to outside guests, but now empty office space could be leased for third-party use (particularly Disney subcontractors) or idle land leased for third-party development. This latter aspect was implemented for high tech startups and regional offices for larger groups, leading to the Disney Imagination Complex, a series of high-tech facilities on WDW. Commodore Computers became one of the first clients.

For the studios themselves, consultants were brought in and brainstorming sessions were initiated with the express purpose of eliminating waste and redundancy. Needless to say, this created conflict with many directors and producers. Tom Wilhite was at first insulted, but soon jumped on board when the potential profit increases were demonstrated. Bernie Brillstein, on the other hand, in the midst of battling entrenched management at NBC, jumped on the opportunity from the start, using the process as an opportunity to identify and eliminate the entrenched roadblocks within NBC management. They increased the leasing of empty studio and sound stage space, particularly in Disney-MGM Studios East, and found cheaper filming locations in Canada, Eastern Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America. Any opportunity to reduce production costs without sacrificing quality was made. There was some pushback, but Jim was able to largely smooth things over by falling back on his reputation as a supporter of the creative artists.

Finally, while underperforming “prestige” labels like the WED Signature line would be maintained, they would be used less often and reserved for “event” productions or simply used as a prestige label on wider releases. New Feature Animation President Glen Keane even found an option that others hadn’t considered: using the label for those riskier T-rated dramas, like they had done with The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but with a wider release from the start, and thus a higher likelihood of turning a notable profit. “If we put the WED-sig label on it,” he maintained, “we know that the audience will expect something dramatic and tear-jerking. We could do a Greek tragedy like Oedipus Rex or even a risqué comedy like Lysistrata, or, I don’t know, actual Shakespeare. Thirty to forty mil for production if we keep things constrained, returns anywhere from twenty to seventy or possibly higher.”

Finally, and most contentiously, there were the Muppets. They were still making a profit, but were a marginal IP. Even Jim had to admit that the profit margins for the Muppets were a fraction of where they’d been in the 1970s and early 1980s in their heyday. The Shepherds had hammered on them again and again during the Proxy Fight. And truth be told, the board even prior to the appearance of the Shepherds had been critical of the returns, particularly after the expense of the Muppetland in Florida, which was failing to meet projected visitation numbers by a considerable margin (though the Valencia Muppetland, with European audiences still enamored with the Muppets, was still crowded).

Nelson made a point of telling Jim that he didn’t intend the attacks on the Muppets as a personal attack, though he did admit that they were a convenient bit of evidence in his assertation at the time that Jim was creatively out of touch.

Jim surprised him that while he did feel like it was “made a bit personal” that he wasn’t really offended, as he never intended to just be “the Muppet guy”. Jim conceded that the IP was not performing as well as Marvel or the Princesses (though the success of Muppets in: The Nick of Time had been a huge help), but he noted that simply tossing the Muppets in the vault wouldn’t be the easy win that Nelson had assumed. The Muppet performers were still under contract, and very premium contracts going all the way back to the Henson Associates acquisition in 1984. Much like with the WED-sig, there’d be sunk cost in just dumping the IP, and on top of that so many of them were involved in other areas, like animatronic effects and physical effects, and the Muppet Workshop folks did a lot of work in costuming and consumer products development as well.

“We can realign some of them here and there, but there’s honestly no better training ground for those other areas than the Muppets,” Jim added. He also pushed back hard against the old idea that puppetry was “easy” and showed Nelson and Bill a taping of Too Late with Miss Piggy and the sheer level of raw skill and attention to detail that was required to reach “Muppet level” talent. He and Bernie Brillstein showed some video footage of competing puppet performances made by less-skilled performers, where the static, clumsy performance when compared to the lifelike, dynamic performances of the Muppet Performers became immediately apparent even to Nelson, who’d always dismissed the Muppets as “kid’s stuff.”

“It’s like the difference between hiring Sir Laurence Olivier and hiring Larry from the Junior High production of Oklahoma,” Jim said.

And as the final “proof” of the skill behind the Muppets, Jim had Steve Whitmire hand him the Kermit Muppet and formally “introduced” Nelson to Kermit.

“Holy hell,” Nelson told Bernie later, “the damned felt frog was alive.”

“Why the hell do you think I took Jim on as a client in the first place?” Bernie replied.

Still, the inherently marginal nature of the Muppets hung there. But Bernie Brillstein had one thing to say: “We’re almost at the twenty-five-year mark,” he said of the Muppet Show’s fast-approaching anniversary. “Things always come back around after twenty to thirty years. Kids who grew up with Kermit and Piggy will be parents and will want to show them to their kids, who, let’s face it, have already been watching Sesame Street. Look at all the fifties and sixties stuff in the eighties. Look at all the stuff about the sixties and seventies on TV and in the movies right now. They recently had a new Woodstock! I saw a teen girl wearing bell bottoms the other day. Bell bottoms! They’ll be moving into the late-seventies and eighties nostalgia soon enough and the Muppets will be primed for a big renaissance.”

“Are you telling me that people will soon be listening to disco again?” Nelson asked incredulously.

“Yea,” Bernie replied without irony. “Count on it.”

“I guess it’s Stayin’ Alive after all,” Jim added, to a chorus of groans.

In the end, The Muppets remained out of the vault for the time being, surviving the potential purge in the name of corporate efficiency, much as Jim had survived the Proxy Fight. Bernie’s premonitions would, of course, soon prove to be on the nose when, in the early-to-mid-2000s, the Muppets saw a huge upswing of nostalgia-driven popularity again.

Jim and Disney would also be given a reprieve of a different sort when the FBI launched a series of coordinated raids across the country, taking down several militia groups that they accused of being tied to The Sword of Liberty, some after long and contentious standoffs involving hostages. Several men and two women were specifically charged with crimes related to the 1995 Washington DC bombing. Hundreds of weapons and several pounds of explosives were confiscated, along with fake identities, tactical gear, and lots of cash. While the FBI told Jim and Disney that they weren’t completely “free to return to normal life”, and that other members of the terrorist cell or sympathetic loners could still pose a serious threat, that this was a major step in reducing the domestic terror threat. The international threat, however, was reportedly growing.

And Jim resumed his duties as Chairman of the Board, working closely with both Nelson and Bill to implement the changes to improve long-term fiscal sustainability without sacrificing those core values and priorities that made the Walt Disney Entertainment Company the company that it was.

And Ron, Roy, Bernie, and Jim would meet to share a toast with Ron’s latest vintage Pinot Noir, labelled “California Dreams”, in salute of the ongoing “Dream” of Walt Disney.

* * *​

Stocks at a Glance: Walt Disney Entertainment (DIS)

January 14th, 1999

Stock price: $34.44 [Split 3:1 1 January 1999]

Major Shareholders: Henson family (21.4%), Disney-Miller family (14.5%), Roy E. Disney family (14.4%), General Electric (11.2%), Bass Brothers (6.5%), Bill Marriott (6.1%), Good Shepherd Alliance (3.7%), Liberty Holdings (3%), Apple Comp. (2.3%), Lucasfilm Ltd. (1.8%), Amblin Entertainment (1.5%), Suspected “Knights Errant” (4.8%), Other (8.8%)

Outstanding shares: 1,495.8 million

* * *​

Pictures Released by Walt Disney Studios, 1997-1998

Release dateTitleStudio labelCo-production with
January 10, 1997PuppetsFantasia FilmsPropaganda Films, Pacific Partners
February 14, 1997101 Dalmatians [Re-Release]
February 21, 1997Principal InterestHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
March 7, 1997Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer SpaceFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions
March 22, 1997The Buddha of Sunset StripHyperion PicturesMike Zoss Productions, Pacific partners
April 4, 1997MuckrakerWildside ProductionsLand of Oz Productions, Pacific Partners
April 18, 1997Toots and the Upside Down HouseFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
May 9, 1997Ghostbusters: West Coast GhostsFantasia FilmsPacific Partners
May 23, 1997The Diary of Anne FrankMGMAmblin Entertainment
June 6, 1997Justice: The Bass Reeves StoryHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
June 13, 1997The Zoo in my HouseFantasia FilmsAmerican Zoetrope, Pacific Partners
June 20, 1997The Lost World: Jurassic Park IIMGMAmblin Entertainment, Pacific Partners
July 2, 1997The Secret Life of Toys [w/ Short Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway]Walt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
July 25, 1997The Fantastic FourMGMMarvel Productions, Pacific Partners
August 8, 1997Man on the MoonMGMSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
August 29, 1997MoneymakerMGMPhoenix Pictures, Pacific Partners
September 2, 1997Maus [Re-Release]WED Signature
September 16, 1997Broadway BrawlerWalt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
October 17, 1997The Celery Stalks at MidnightFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
October 31, 1997Mort [Re-Release]Walt Disney Pictures
November 12, 1997The Musical Monsters of Turkey HollowWalt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
November 26, 1997Kindred Spirits [w/ Short “The Big Party, with Boudreaux and ‘Laina”]Walt Disney PicturesSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
December 12, 1997Sleepy HollowFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions
January 9, 1998The Hand that Made the MouseWalt Disney PicturesKickin’ Studios, Pacific Partners
January 16, 1998FlamerWildside PicturesPacific Partners
January 30, 1998Coyote BlueHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
February 13, 1998Aladdin [Re-Release]Walt Disney Pictures
February 20, 1998Crossed by the BorderHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
March 6, 1998What Dreams May ComeWED SignatureStudio Ghibli, Interscope Communications, PolyGram Entertainment, Pacific Partners
March 13, 1998Edwards and HuntHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
March 20, 1998Roger Rabbit: Bunny in the ‘BurbsWalt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
April 3, 1998The X-Files: I Want to BelieveFantasia FilmsParamount Pictures, Pacific Partners
April 17, 1998Casper 2Walt Disney PicturesAmblin Entertainment, Pacific Partners
May 8, 1998Double WhammyHyperion PicturesMike Zoss Productions, Pacific Partners
May 15, 1998Burning BridgesHyperion PicturesPacific Partners
June 5, 1998X-Men 2: Rise of the SentinelsMGMMarvel Productions, Pacific Partners
June 19, 1998Ender’s GameFantasia FilmsFresco Pictures, Pacific Partners
July 1, 1998The Poet and the Dragon [w/ Short The Legend of Fa Mulan]Walt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
July 15, 1998Dinotopia: A Land Apart from TimeWalt Disney PicturesLucasfilm, Pacific Partners
August 7, 1998Black PantherMGMMarvel Productions, Pacific Partners
August 21, 1998An American Werewolf in ParisFantasia FilmsPacific Partners
September 4, 1998Muppets in: The Nick of TimeWalt Disney ProductionsPacific Partners
September 11, 1998Smoke SignalsWildside PicturesShadowCatcher Entertainment, Pacific Partners
September 22, 1998Beetlejuice Goes HawaiianFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
October 2, 1998Robin Hood [Re-Release]Walt Disney Pictures
October 16, 1998TranshumanFantasia FilmsSkeleton Crew Productions, Pacific Partners
November 11, 1998Charlie FoxtrotWildside PicturesPacific Partners
November 25, 1998Heart of Ice [w/ Short The Trouble with Trolls]Walt Disney PicturesPacific Partners
December 10, 1998CrossedMGM40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks, Pacific Partners

- ∞ -

[1] Peltz has widely supported Jewish charities over the years.

[2] To illustrate what Jim is talking about here, in our timeline Fantasia 2000 ended up costing about $85 million (time and materials to make the film) plus the added costs of marketing and distribution, and made a mere $90.9 million after a wide release, with special IMAX releases as well, meaning a net loss of somewhere in the $30-50 million range after marketing, distribution, and revenue sharing are factored in. According to DisneyWar, when Eisner complained to Roy about the costs and losses, Roy told him that the employee salary, benefits, and other overhead costs for the animators who worked on the film, who would otherwise have been idle and non-productive, would have been $60 million over the same time period (at the time the average salary alone, not counting benefits, was $80,000-100,000 for a skilled animator). As such, not making Fantasia 2000 (assuming Roy’s numbers can be trusted here) would have ultimately cost Disney $20-30 million more than making it did! They could have laid off those animators, but in the highly competitive animation world of the late 1990s they would simply have gone over to Dreamworks (who was paying premium salary) or Hanna-Barbera, who was in the midst of a TV animation renaissance, and likely never came back (lost talent). The next time Disney wanted to launch an animated feature they would need to spin up new teams, which as the short-lived Warner Feature Animation found out in our timeline when making Quest for Camelot isn’t as easy as throwing talented artists in a room and watching magic happen. While it can be hard to quantify how much it would cost to recruit, interview, hire, assemble, train, and mature a high-functioning animation team, it would take many months, possibly years (paying salary and overhead the entire time and getting little to nothing for it), and the final costs would be staggering, possibly as high as the overhead of just not laying them off to begin with if not higher, and with lost talent that would carry over to other projects as well. Long story short: operating costs are more complicated than they can appear on a spreadsheet or a PowerPoint slide.

Really fantastic work out of Jim Henson, Nelson Peltz, and the rest of the Disney company. They might not be on board with everything, but they've essentially boosted Disney's revenue while also preserving a lot of the benefits of working with Disney (WED-Sig, the pay benefits, unions, etc.).

“I’d assumed that Nelson was some sort of reactionary plant at first,” said Bill, who’d been caught up in the drama of the Shepherds’ run and proxy fight. “I’d associated him with neo-Pharoses like Falwell and Robertson – guilt by association – but his goals were more nuanced.”
I do have to commend Geekhis on rehabilitating Nelson's image like this. It wasn't that long ago that us readers wanted to pelt him with eggs for ruining the Disney Dream.

Finally, while underperforming “prestige” labels like the WED Signature line would be maintained, they would be used less often and reserved for “event” productions or simply used as a prestige label on wider releases. New Feature Animation President Glen Keane even found an option that others hadn’t considered: using the label for those riskier T-rated dramas, like they had done with The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but with a wider release from the start, and thus a higher likelihood of turning a notable profit. “If we put the WED-sig label on it,” he maintained, “we know that the audience will expect something dramatic and tear-jerking. We could do a Greek tragedy like Oedipus Rex or even a risqué comedy like Lysistrata, or, I don’t know, actual Shakespeare. Thirty to forty mil for production if we keep things constrained, returns anywhere from twenty to seventy or possibly higher.”
This is a seriously positive change and I hope Disney starts to become more adventurous with the WED-Sig line as animation costs decrease.

Technology offered new efficiencies. Simply upgrading the IT equipment managed to give ongoing gains with a relatively minimal upfront cost, and did so while appealing to the Imagine, Inc., unit’s technophilia. Jobs and Imagine, Inc., President Leonard Tramiel acquired and installed new and more efficient computer servers, which simultaneously cut operating costs, reduced lag, improved data backup, reduced power use, and improved computer security. They expanded Disney’s digital presence on the World Wide Web and created new revenue streams through online content options, all with a negligible increase in operating costs. While a far cry from the later Disney Direct, for the time it was a highly rated website.
Having an early Disney Experience website would do wonders.

Working with President Dick Nunis and Resorts & Recreation Chairman Judson Green, efficiencies were found for the parks. This included modest increases in ticket, parking, and hotel prices as “low hanging fruit” and a quick win that saw a quick return in revenue growth. They implemented new technologies and processes and training with an eye towards reducing “ride-to-wait” ratios, which could improve user experience while also boosting visitor through-put, and thus spur daily attendance by reducing “overcapacity” situations. Dick and Judson at first resisted this strategy, maintaining that they’d already maximized these efficiencies, but Steve Jobs cited new technologies and computer simulations for developing new strategies and further process improvements. This led eventually to the Magic Pass system.
Ah yes, the alternate counterpart to the FastPass. Hopefully, Disney doesn't turn it into the mess that it is today (*cough* Lightning Lane *cough*).

In the end, The Muppets remained out of the vault for the time being, surviving the potential purge in the name of corporate efficiency, much as Jim had survived the Proxy Fight. Bernie’s premonitions would, of course, soon prove to be on the nose when, in the early-to-mid-2000s, the Muppets saw a huge upswing of nostalgia-driven popularity again.
Jim Henson better give us The Muppet Show reboot. It's simply the perfect time to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.