Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior to this weekend's posts, I assumed that, after his disastrous experience on Retriever with Katzenberg and Eisner, Bluth would end up going back to the independent side of things (what with Disney and Hollywood Pictures, he's had two too many bad experiences with the studio system).
Leaving Hollywood Pictures is the best decision for him, considering it was Katzenberg and not Eisner that remains within the company. I'm kinda hoping that he goes independent, which could end up being better for him since he has more experience dealing with the studios ITTL.

European animation has been relatively quiet compared to America, Japan, and more recently China/South Korea so it would be interesting if he cultivates that as a competing cultural force ITTL.

"Columbia, going from Steel to Iron"
Eisner will NOT like that headline.

Well, at least Dinoland U.S.A. would be at some other media mogul's theme park chain instead of Walt Disney World.
I can see a Dinoland U.S.A. work pretty well in Peach Grove since it's a light and whimsical carnival land for kids (something that is kinda lacking in that theme park), though it will surely lack the backstory and details that Disney Imagineers added into the land in the first place.

I mean, if something like Animal Kingdom still pops up at Disney World TTL, it could have a dinosaur area themed to Land Before Time and/or Jurassic Park
It's most likely going to be a Jurassic Park/Dinotopia pair, though having something related the Land Before Time could totally happen for Disney. Maybe something like a stage show akin to The Lion King OTL? I'd love that.

I dunno, DAK generally shied away way from specifically IP-themed areas (prior to Pandora), so I doubt it.
The thing is, Jurassic Park and Dinotopia are so popular that Disney would be shooting themselves in the foot to NOT include it for DAK. The only way that I could see them avoiding this is if a JP-land existed in Hollywoodland first, but that still leaves something like Dinotopia (which will draw people in since it's from George Lucas), so it's very unlikely we will see this rule even be considered for ITTL DAK simply because economics and the exec's demands will override anything that the Imagineers had in mind originally.

Last edited:
Chapter 9: The Big Breakup (Cont'd)
Excerpt from Man of Iron: The Michael Eisner Story, an unauthorized biography by Anthony Edward Stark

Michael Eisner was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Hospital where cardiologists discovered that he had a 95% blockage in a coronary artery. Already on cholesterol medication and with a family history of heart disease, Eisner had been intending to get another stress test for years now, but hadn’t found the time[1].

He received a quadruple bypass and was released back into the care of his wife Jane after a short recovery stay at the hospital.

“One hell of a week,” he faintly told her, looking to her like a near corpse.

As he recovered in his Bel Aire home, Jane, in turn, ran interference, keeping visitors and reporters away. In one case, she angrily chased away Capital Cities CEO Tom Murphy, who’d come, he said in “good faith”, to check up on an “old friend”.

“You are the fourth-to-the-last person that he wants or needs to see right now, Tom,” she told him.

Recovery was slow and frustrating that summer. He tried to relax, exploring everything from yoga to meditation, but the quiet moments only brought his mind back to Katzenberg and Iger. His wife and doctors urged him to rest (he had plenty of money saved up and a generous severance package from ABC and didn’t need to work) but he knew in his heart that the tedium and anger would consume and kill him[2]. He needed to find purpose. He needed a second chance. And most of all, he wanted revenge against those whom he felt had betrayed him.

But first of all, he needed a job.

He called up Lew Wasserman at Universal, but Wasserman was still angling for a potential merger with ABC and regretfully turned him down. His friend Barry Diller offered him an ill-defined executive billet at Triad’s corporate office “at least until a leadership slot opens up in one of the studios”, but to Eisner that felt like a demotion and charity-job and knew that Hollywood would see it as such. Warner Brothers wasn’t looking for a creative executive at the moment and John Peters was clearly the rising star there. He considered Disney-MGM, but knew that he’d be back into a junior executive position.

But one obvious place remained. Columbia Entertainment had been struggling, particularly on the movie side. While CBS was doing well under Brandon Tartikoff, Columbia Pictures was fighting to stay relevant after some noteworthy underperformers like The Rocketeer. Only the successes of Dances with Wolves, Unforgiven, and the surprise hit Forrest Gump had kept the studio solvent amid a long series of losers and underperformers. Rumor had it that the studio was losing over $500 million a year. Eisner had little doubt that Turner was looking for a replacement for Columbia head Dawn Steel, whose fate was deemed “sealed” by Industry Insiders.

Eisner called in a few favors and flew to Atlanta for an interview with Ted Turner, who immediately liked his “game”. Eisner showed him the returns that he’d earned, the growth of both Paramount and Hollywood Pictures under his leadership, and the many creative and fiscal accolades that he’d earned.

Turner was duly impressed, and seemed unbothered by his untimely release by ABC. “Mikey, this is a cruel and cutthroat business that we’re in. I’ll give you a chance. If you deal me a straight hand each and every time, we’ll get along swimmingly, I’m sure.” He didn’t have to say what would happen if Turner ever felt that Eisner was not dealing him a “straight hand.”

Turner ultimately offered Eisner the Chair and Presidency of Columbia Pictures (replacing the outgoing Dawn Steel, who’d had a “challenging” working relationship with Turner) and also made him the CCO of Columbia Entertainment[3]. It would require leaving LA and relocating to Atlanta.

“There you go, son, a whole new mountain to climb,” said Turner, extending his hand.

Eisner, without hesitation and uncharacteristically without consulting his family[4], accepted on the spot and shook Turner’s hand, doing his best to match the force and firmness and maintain eye contact. He now had yet another blank slate to remake in his own image, and plenty of marginalized former allies at Hollywood/ABC to bring over with him. Eisner smiled.

Turner smiled. “Great handshake, Mikey. Welcome to Y’allywood!”

[1] All per our timeline. He avoided the heart attack in our timeline (the one in this timeline was relatively mild with no major ischemic damage) but still had emergency quadruple bypass surgery after experiencing growing chest pains following the death of Frank Wells, leading ultimately to a stress test that revealed the 95% blockage. With Eisner in surgery shortly following the recent death of Frank Wells, the future of Disney was briefly left in doubt.

[2] Closely mirrors his experiences in our timeline following his 1994 emergency quadruple bypass, where he recovered surprisingly quickly after getting back in the action, in direct defiance of doctor’s recommendations. The thrill of the job was, for him, the best medicine, in our timeline and this one alike.

[3] @Shiny_Agumon called it!

[4] For all of his mercurial reputation as a studio head, Eisner is famously devoted to his family.
That's good

Should be interesting. If Eisner and Henson ever meet up, I can see their health scares being something they talk about

Last edited:
I'm just saying more than one theme park chain can have dinosaur-themed attractions
The problem is just to difference yourself from the others so it doesn't look like you copied them.
Well, if Disney's Animal Kingdom did have a dinosaur-themed land, basing it on Land Before Time and Jurassic Park would be a LOT better in the long run!
Yes, Dinoland USA is a fun idea on paper, but compared to the other areas of DAK it looks cheap and tacky, which is kinda the point but the guests don't care for your ironic meta Commentary.
I can see a Dinoland U.S.A. work pretty well in Peach Grove since it's a light and whimsical carnival land for kids (something that is kinda lacking in that theme park), though it will surely lack the backstory and details that Disney Imagineers added into the land in the first place.
Also Peach Grove doesn't have the insane reputation of the Disney Pars imageneers. Like I said above Dinoland is fine on it's own but looks laughably bad compared to other themed lands around it. However it would fit right in with Peach Groves lands (sorry Mr. Turner) especially if they play it straight and don't try to make it look even cheaper by deliberately aiming for a fairground aesthetic.

Maybe something akin to a classic boardwalk?
With a ferris wheel and classic carnival games? Maybe have their "Countdown to Extinction" be the obligatory haunted house?
Certainly fits with the classic Americana Ted Turner is so found about.

Eisner will NOT like that headline.
I could think about a better iron pun sorry

Yes, Dinoland USA is a fun idea on paper, but compared to the other areas of DAK it looks cheap and tacky, which is kinda the point but the guests don't care for your ironic meta Commentary.
It's a shame since the Imagineers had plans to be far more ambitious with the land but Eisner's cheapness on top of the lack of support hampered the potential of Dinoland U.S.A.

Ironic that the timeline that will allow the Imagineers to have the most creativity and funding is going to force them to do IPs like JP or Dinotopia for DAK but I think that's a worthy trade-off, especially Beastly Kingdom could potentially exist.

Also Peach Grove doesn't have the insane reputation of the Disney Parks Imagineers. Like I said above Dinoland is fine on it's own but looks laughably bad compared to other themed lands around it. However it would fit right in with Peach Groves lands (sorry Mr. Turner) especially if they play it straight and don't try to make it look even cheaper by deliberately aiming for a fairground aesthetic.
The aesthetic would definitely be at home with Peach Grove Studios, that's for sure. I can see it as the Toy Story Land of the theme park, especially if it's paired with a relatively successful movie like a better Dinosaur.

Maybe something akin to a classic boardwalk?
That could work, but the original carnival-like land would also be sufficient.

I could think about a better iron pun sorry
I actually liked it. It's just that Eisner would be pissed at that tagline since it's obvious that the media is taking a cheap jab at him for his fall from grace.

Hey guys, I just thought up a crazy but amazing approach to Dinoland USA. Suppose we could have BOTH the tacky tourist trap and the real dinosaurs at the same time?

Here's my take on the revised fictional history of Dinoland USA. Fossils are discovered in Diggs County, a bunch of researchers/students flock to the area, Chester and Hester make a profit setting up a tacky tourist trap, yabba yabba yabba. But things start to really change when the Dino Institute succeeds with its time travel tech a little too well. They ended up accidentally creating multiple portals to different prehistoric time periods, and a bunch of dinosaurs and other ancient creatures migrated through the portals into the future.

The whole town was evacuated and abandoned to the dinos. But fortunately, no especially dangerous species traveled through, and it turns out that the critters liked the tourist trap/dig site environment and decided to settle down there. Dinoland was made into a nature preserve for the living fossils, and it eventually reopened to tourists. And THIS is when park guests arrive. It's a strange amalgamation of past and present. Wandering through ruins of buildings, we see animatronic "real" dinosaurs coexisting side-by-side the fake tacky counterparts created for the tourist trap, with the latter showing visible signs of deterioration as nature reclaims the town. A couple rides utilize the rickety remains of the old amusement park, but for other attractions, you can venture through the portals into an age when dinosaurs ruled not just a town, but the whole world.

This would be really ambitious and difficult to pull off, but the more I think about it, the more I love this whole concept. The big issue with the tacky tourist trap theming for Dinoland is that without an immediate source of contrast within the area, people might take it at face value. Here, we're not just seeing a tacky tourist trap, we're seeing one that has been abandoned to nature, with the "real" dinosaurs providing a handy contrast to their fake counterparts. So guests would immediately see that the "cheesy carnival" theming is just a small layer intermixed with other themes in Dinoland. And it's sort of a nice contrast to Jurassic Park, as while both involve a park being overrun by dinosaurs, Dinoland would take a more positive angle, as the dinosaurs from different time periods find ways to coexist in the ghost town. Plus, it would be cool to have an area really showcasing human civilization being reclaimed by nature. Anyone interested in working with this idea?

The aesthetic would definitely be at home with Peach Grove Studios, that's for sure. I can see it as the Toy Story Land of the theme park, especially if it's paired with a relatively successful movie like a better Dinosaur.
Or, hear me out...

A recreation of Bedrock as our Dinoland equivalent for Peach Grove Studios.

If that doesn't already exist, it should.

Hey guys, I just thought up a crazy but amazing approach to Dinoland USA. Suppose we could have BOTH the tacky tourist trap and the real dinosaurs at the same time?
If only Ted Turner could actually think that far, but I doubt he will have his theme park designers create an entire backstory for the entire land unless someone pushed him to do it. Maybe Eisner?

And besides, Eisner might not wanna do Dinoland for fear of being seen as a Jurassic Park ripoff.
That didn't stop him from making Disney-MGM Studios, whether or not Universal Studios Orlando was announced first.
You think that's gonna stop Eisner?! Hahahaha, you fool! 😉

EDIT: To be honest, the existence of JP/Dinotopia makes Dinoland even more of an inevitability than not.

Last edited:
I don't think ITTL Eisner is going to be that cheap (what a relief) but don't expect ITTL Disney quality for Peach Grove.
Oh, that makes me happy that Ol' Mikey Eyes won't be Mr. Burns level cheap, but it should be blatantly obvious from start to finish that Peach Grove won't reach the levels of "Jim Henson's Imagineers" at the Disney Parks.

Oh, that makes me happy that Ol' Mikey Eyes won't be Mr. Burns level cheap, but it should be blatantly obvious from start to finish that Peach Grove won't reach the levels of "Jim Henson's Imagineers" at the Disney Parks.
Yeah....if Universal isn't able to reach it, then Columbia is even likely to do so.

I just can't imagine Eisner to be the same as late Disney Eisner OTL since he's not in complete control and Columbia isn't hemorrhaging huge amounts of money to justify cost-cutting measures. I'd even argue that he should be taking more risks than Turner since that's what he did during his early Disney career.

JESUS!

Talk about being careful what you wish for, eh, Katzy?

Katzenberg and Bluth, for years to come, will probably be arguing over which one of them was "the man who killed Michael Eisner".
No, it wasn't Katzenberg and Bluth. It was beauty killed the beast. That, and his blood pressure.
OH JEEZ!

MICHAEL EISNER'S DEAD!?
Holy fucking shit.

I know you don't believe in the 'one good thing must equal a bad thing' and I agree with you. But Eisner dying in the same year that Wells did in OTL? Fucking wow. If it's true, of course! Thus far you've been careful to be very neutral in that chapter, it could be a unsuccessful attempt to kill him. I mean if Eisner does die, then Katzenberg and Iger are going to have a really nasty reputation following them!

Can't wait to see where this is going.
I was gonna ask what's next for Eisner (and comment on Medusa's fist mention within here), but I read the ending and JESUS FOOKIN' CHRIST.

Wonder if a conspiracy theory is Ketzenberg hired someone to poison Mike?
I’m not sure Eisner’s dead, personally. It’s possible he survives the heart attack. Either way, he’s definitely out as a force to be reckoned with for a while, if not permantly.
Don't be too sure about Eisner's 'death'. It's been rare to have a to be continued on a post, so I fully expect a hospital wakeup after the commercial break. Classic cliffhanger writing.
Geekhis, you are taking our criticism of "saving to many people" too seriously don't you think?😅

And we have another Wham Moment! I'm a bit surprised to see how many people actually thought he was dead! I assumed the "to be continued" would give it away. Either way, a successful Cliffhanger, it looks like.

So, yea, Michael Eisner came very close to a heart attack in 1994 iOTL and as the footnote, well, notes required a quadruple bypass. I briefly debated having him die when I came across that fact, but no, I had a much more ironic fate in store for him.

I'd decided very early in the TL development that Katz would "win" this time, and have Eisner's maneuverings backfire. But it was a long time before I decided where to take him. An Alt Eisner Dreamworks didn't seem likely since he didn't have people like Geffen and Spielberg in his corner. I thought about Universal or WB and came real close to sending him to Triad as overall CCO, and set him up as a foil for Lisa Henson at Fox, but then I considered Columbia. Just the thought of the Mercurial Eisner working for the Jovian Turner made me start to laugh. The fun has just begun.

I think it was Movies with Mikey that had the great line of 'every movie is a minor miracle that it gets made at all'. He also has the very good line of 'Nobody Knows What They're Doing' about how movie making can be shockingly ad-libbed during production.

"Like hitting a bullseye...from space."

Yea, I love Mikey Newman. He has a lot of insight and some really great ways to look at films and film making. His video on Shrek was part of the inspiration for the Retriever Saga.

no-one-knows-what-theyre-doing-filmjoy.gif

As for 1996's Medusa, I'm hoping it'll have a BANGER of a soundtrack. It's not often a Disney Animated Musical gets the chance to have an 'I Want' song and a Villain song, usually the two tent poles of the music, from the same character.
This assumes the titular Medusa is both 'Disney "Princess"' and Villain Protagonist, although it's still possible if you have Perseus and Medusa as competing Deuteragonists fated to fight each other. That would give Disney some real artistic cred to have a proper 'Classical/Shakesperian Tragedy' as their marquee film for '96.
Imagine that, seeing the posters for Medusa go up and it has the tagline of 'Nobody Wins' under the title.
Child me is going to be delighted at two 90's Greek Mythology movies.

Also I don't think he's dead, but this is probably going to be a real shot across the bows.
Oh nice, can't wait for the Medusa post,
If you like Greek Things, then 1996 is definitely your year.

however I do have to question the validity of the Duelling movies approach.

Like how is Hollywood Animation going to become number one if they only react to what Disney is putting out?
You can't win a race if you don't leave your opponents wind shadow.
It's a good way to establish a studio, but it's not going to keep you on top. Eventually innovation will be required.

It's funny to see just how far removed from the actual production Eisner is.

We know that it was an absolute shitshow down there, but for him everything is going smoothly.
Yea, shitshow of a production, but the dailies looked great!

I have a question about the whole Spielberg + Disney partnership.

In OTL, after ET, didn't Spielberg sign a contract with Universal essentially barring him from making any films for other studios? Or am I misremembering wrong?
This is the first I've heard about any Amblin-Universal Exclusivity deal, and seems out of character. There may have been a first right of refusal clause giving Universal the first opportunity on new productions, which is quite common (IIRC Castle Rock had one with Columbia iOTL). Either way, he certainly didn't do that iTTL and I sure as shit am not about to Retcon 600 pages of posts, LOL.

I couldn't find anything about exclusivity on Google, BTW.
Me neither.

@TheKennedyMachine. do you have a good link describing the deal? That would help a lot.

Oh - it seems I was wrong. Eisner and Katzenberg are getting ready for war.

And this is going to be interesting... especially for Don Bluth.

Prior to this weekend's posts, I assumed that, after his disastrous experience on Retriever with Katzenberg and Eisner, Bluth would end up going back to the independent side of things (what with Disney and Hollywood Pictures, he's had two too many bad experiences with the studio system).

What's going to be in store for him?
The fun has just begun.

I can already see the headlines:
"Columbia, going from Steel to Iron"
Oh, I like that. I'm totally stealing it. And I'm annoyed with myself for missing that one.

Should be interesting. If Eisner and Henson ever meet up, I can see their health scares being something they talk about
Possibly so!

Here's my take on the revised fictional history of Dinoland USA. Fossils are discovered in Diggs County, a bunch of researchers/students flock to the area, Chester and Hester make a profit setting up a tacky tourist trap, yabba yabba yabba. But things start to really change when the Dino Institute succeeds with its time travel tech a little too well. They ended up accidentally creating multiple portals to different prehistoric time periods, and a bunch of dinosaurs and other ancient creatures migrated through the portals into the future.

The whole town was evacuated and abandoned to the dinos. But fortunately, no especially dangerous species traveled through, and it turns out that the critters liked the tourist trap/dig site environment and decided to settle down there. Dinoland was made into a nature preserve for the living fossils, and it eventually reopened to tourists. And THIS is when park guests arrive. It's a strange amalgamation of past and present. Wandering through ruins of buildings, we see animatronic "real" dinosaurs coexisting side-by-side the fake tacky counterparts created for the tourist trap, with the latter showing visible signs of deterioration as nature reclaims the town. A couple rides utilize the rickety remains of the old amusement park, but for other attractions, you can venture through the portals into an age when dinosaurs ruled not just a town, but the whole world.

This would be really ambitious and difficult to pull off, but the more I think about it, the more I love this whole concept. The big issue with the tacky tourist trap theming for Dinoland is that without an immediate source of contrast within the area, people might take it at face value. Here, we're not just seeing a tacky tourist trap, we're seeing one that has been abandoned to nature, with the "real" dinosaurs providing a handy contrast to their fake counterparts. So guests would immediately see that the "cheesy carnival" theming is just a small layer intermixed with other themes in Dinoland. And it's sort of a nice contrast to Jurassic Park, as while both involve a park being overrun by dinosaurs, Dinoland would take a more positive angle, as the dinosaurs from different time periods find ways to coexist in the ghost town. Plus, it would be cool to have an area really showcasing human civilization being reclaimed by nature. Anyone interested in working with this idea?
That's a very cool idea, but let's recall that PG is in the Atlanta metro area. The biggest limitation for such a major attraction is less cost than space. DAK has the advantages of thousands of acres of empty land to build upon. PG is more like Disneyland, rather hemmed in by sprawl.

Or, hear me out...

A recreation of Bedrock as our Dinoland equivalent for Peach Grove Studios.

If that doesn't already exist, it should.
This, on the other hand...

IIRC I had a Bedrock Land already (need to look back at it), but certainly an expansion is possible, modernization definately.

Status
Not open for further replies.