Status
Not open for further replies.
Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

I'm glad that Reservoir Dogs is here and Tarantino is still going to be a cult director despite the Weinsteins.

However I hope that he takes these lessons to heart and stops the weird stuff he did to Ulma Thurman.

Well it's interesting seeing a film post that doesn't laud Disney or its branch companies/labels in some way. Heck, Hollywood Pictures/Miramax is actually getting some kudos for their films despite getting massive flack from Harvey Weinstein's scandal and eventual fall.

As always, great post Geekhis!

I'm glad that Reservoir Dogs is here and Tarantino is still going to be a cult director despite the Weinsteins.

However I hope that he takes these lessons to heart and stops the weird stuff he did to Ulma Thurman.
Hopefully so. #MeToo was just as devastating was it was OTL, so people might have wisened up to the consequences of doing such acts.

That would be interesting, though the next one should be a "prequel" get WW1 stories before all the veterans die.

The Hello Girls are worth a story, telephone switchboard operators that worked on the Western Front.
I can already imagine a controversial episode showcasing a British soldier who decides to spare a German soldier, only to reveal that the person he spared was Adolf Hitler.

As for a follow-up, I think it would best be handled for significant anniversaries. This probably means you're unlikely to get living veterans of the First World War for the Centennial production set for 2014, but you can do worse than setting animation to the letters people wrote during the conflict, something like the remarkable "Letters Live" videos I've found on YouTube. You can sidestep translation problems then if you're using readers.

[Like this, but letters from a generation earlier.]

Personally, I'd like to see one for the Korean War, which is so often overlooked in most popular histories, despite having so many participants.
Seems possible, perhaps as lower budget made-for-TV events on PBS or Wonderful World Veterans Day specials. Others for Vietnam could eventually be made, if funding allows.

A Korean War War Stories would be interesting, though maybe it would implicitly discuss how M*A*S*H is the only last pop cultural thing that preserves the memory of it, and how it got the depiction of Koreans quite wrong (from what I hear).
In the case of M*A*S*H they very consciously and deliberately made the "Koreans" Vietnamese (at least in the movie) since it was made during (and in open protest of) the Vietnam War. Old school "All Asians are the same" tropes and assumptions likely played a factor, and the Asian characters were not generally given much characterization, but FWIW it was a deliberate choice from what I hear.

Pride and Prejudice (1993)
Seems good. Want to guest-write a paragraph-long review for the 1993 movie season?

With that said, I am amazed by how tactful Disney's adaptation of Malcolm X wound up being, as bizarre as that sounds.
It's very similar to the OTL flick, maybe a bit more willing to acknowledge the anti-Semitic tropes he used (see below).

Actually the best and worst time to release a biopic of the man.
As OTL in that regard.

Neoteros said:
That said, quite a few people on the far fringes of the civil rights movement adopted some anti-Semitic beliefs, up to and including the Nation of Islam itself. I don't know if back when Malcolm X was a member they had already gone down that rabbit hole in particular though, but considering the people involved in the movie, that's some irony. :p

To be clear, I am decidedly NOT an expert on Malcolm X, so take what I say with a grain of salt. With that in mind, my research indicates that Malcom X was...complicated in that regard. To be clear, the modern NoI under Farrakhan is openly anti-Semitic and listed as such by the Southern Poverty Law Center among others. And anti-Semitism in the fringes of the civil rights and BLM movements have certainly complicated the movements' goals (and given ammunition to their opponents), even as the overall main body of both movements openly oppose anti-Semitism.

X used anti-Semitic tropes in his earlier sermons and speeches, in particular the "Jews own everything" schtick. He wasn't (to my knowledge) engaging in gross and overt anti-Semitism like others in the NoI, but definitely leaning that way. He also left the NoI after his Hadj when he began to embrace more nuanced and inclusive views on race and religion and was moving away from those tropes when he was assassinated. Many (including his daughter) blame Farrakhan for the assassination and even Farrakhan eventually (2000) admitted that his rhetoric (where he called X a traitor deserving death) played a role, though he vehemently denies ordering the hit or being involved in any way.

It's that later nuanced and evolving view that always interested me, and had X lived I wonder if he could have been a bridging force between the Christian and Islamic factions of the Civil Rights movement, or offered a moderate alternative to the NoI or safe outlet for black anger. Who knows?

Am right to presume that Steve's big movie has lots of prehistoric lizards in it?
Depends on how you define "prehistoric lizards". Posts tomorrow.

Have a lot of catching up to do. Other things you plan to cover besides alternate pop culture? Hope more visually impaired characters can be part of different programs, if possible.
Take your time, @historybuff and yes, visually impaired characters (e.g. Daredevil) will appear. Or did you mean "real life" people? If the latter, anyone in particular you have in mind?

Oh just you wait until '96, then you'll love what's been worked on!
What he said. Love is blind, after all.

Hope we see Spike Lee's Dreamgirls in TTL...
Did he pursue it OTL? Could definitely happen.

So speaking of freezing temperatures, What's the status of Disney on Ice?
Same as OTL.

Also, is the title Isobar a reference to something? So far I only get a company, weather pressure, and atoms having the same amount of protons and neutrons on my Google search.
It was considered as a title OTL. Not sure why. Part of the vagueness of the review is that I have no idea what the film would have been about beyond the basics of the setting.

In general an isobar is a line or plane of equal value in something, e.g. temperature, pressure, charge, intensity, etc. Perhaps it was meant symbolically, given the themes of sin and levels of sin leading down to The Train, but my gut feeling is that some producer saw the word and thought that it sounded cool.

1200px-Isobar_Map_%28PSF%29.png

Barometric pressure isobar map for reference; each line is an isobar

In general, people are on notice that some things aren't OK, much as they are iOTL post #MeToo. We came close to such a reckoning iOTL in the 1990s and there was a lot of talk about sexual harassment and some high-profile cases, but politicians and corporate heads avoided any major fallout, so things got swept under the rug again.

A lot of incidences from our timeline will be avoided in this one just due to greater scrutiny and awareness, though you'll still see plenty of those Andrew Cuomo style "feminist in public, predator in private" stuff as powerful men run "catch and kill" ops. Still, there will be more scrutiny and more willingness by victims to step forward since actual powerful people have suffered meaningful consequences for their actions.

On Uma, I assume you mean the male-gazey foot stuff he had her do? Or perhaps you mean the car accident on set. I'm not to aware of anything else between them.

In the case of M*A*S*H they very consciously and deliberately made the "Koreans" Vietnamese (at least in the movie) since it was made during (and in open protest of) the Vietnam War. Old school "All Asians are the same" tropes and assumptions likely played a factor, and the Asian characters were not generally given much characterization, but FWIW it was a deliberate choice from what I hear.
That's what I meant, as does TV Tropes (Where I got it from).
It was considered as a title OTL. Not sure why. Part of the vagueness of the review is that I have no idea what the film would have been about beyond the basics of the setting.

In general an isobar is a line or plane of equal value in something, e.g. temperature, pressure, charge, intensity, etc. Perhaps it was meant symbolically, given the themes of sin and levels of sin leading down to The Train, but my gut feeling is that some producer saw the word and thought that it sounded cool.
Makes sense.

I presume the train is privately ran by a corporation? Would make sense for cyberpunk.

Quick question, how does Fantasia Films and Hyperion Films operate? Like, does Fantasia operate similarily to Touchstone for producing Disney's more mature films and does Hyperion release Disney's more arthouse-esque films? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks. I meant fictional characters. Muppet wise, it'd be interesting if a blind muppet character is created, as Sesame Street has a human character who's death, among others, human or muppet. Being blind myself, surprised that neither Sesame Street or the Muppets have had a visually impaired character used to teach kids about blindness.

Thanks. I meant fictional characters. Muppet wise, it'd be interesting if a blind muppet character is created, as Sesame Street has a human character who's death, among others, human or muppet. Being blind myself, surprised that neither Sesame Street or the Muppets have had a visually impaired character used to teach kids about blindness.

He's pretty obscure, but there was a blind monster in Sesame Street in the early eighties, although it looks like he only appeared in 13 episodes.

A Korean War War Stories would be interesting, though maybe it would implicitly discuss how M*A*S*H is
The funny/sad thing about this is when I think of M.A.S.H. it's as the TV series and IIRC they did make an attempt at depicting the Koreans as Koreans even if the actors ran the spectrum from Chinese to Japanese.
Quick question, how does Fantasia Films and Hyperion Films operate? Like, does Fantasia operate similarily to Touchstone for producing Disney's more mature films and does Hyperion release Disney's more arthouse-esque films? Or is it something else entirely?
I think it's the inverse, i.e. Fantasia does the art house films.

Hyperion is roughly analogous to Touchstone (Miller's plans for Hyperion evolved into Touchstone iOTL) and does lower budget "adult contemporary" stuff usually set in the present day (e.g. RomComs, comedies, buddy cop, heist films, etc.) while Fantasia does things like Fantasy, SciFi, horror/thriller (e.g. Stephen King films), and "weird" (including Arthouse) stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. Fantasia has also been used as a place for animation or puppetry stuff deemed "off brand" for Disney, e.g. The Dark Crystal, which was its original release, or more recently Shrek!, which was "too rude and adult" for the Disney label.

Hyperion was also at the point where they were starting to look at prestige dramas (e.g. The Ballad of Edward Ford) before MGM stole that thunder and became the "prestige" and "blockbuster" label.

Been meaning to ask, Geekhis, but given Disney's partnership with the Good Sports people, is there a reason why some of these family-friendly sports movies (Mighty Ducks, Luck of the Irish, Air Bud, Herbie, Remember the Titans, Cool Runnings) aren't under some kind of Good Sports Films label? ;)

Fantasia does things like Fantasy, SciFi, horror/thriller (e.g. Stephen King films), and "weird" (including Arthouse) stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. Fantasia has also been used as a place for animation or puppetry stuff deemed "off brand" for Disney, e.g. The Dark Crystal, which was its original release, or more recently Shrek!, which was "too rude and adult" for the Disney label.
I presume Indiana Jones was mostly like made under the Fantasia label correct?

No Good Deed goes Unpunished
Chapter 12, Making a Difference (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Where Did I Go Right? (or: You’re No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead), by Bernie Brillstein (with Cheryl Henson)

But that’s the thing about Doing Right. It can be just as addictive as any drug. Suddenly you’re getting handshakes and pats on the back and called a Mensch and you’re the talk of the town because you Did Right. You didn’t do it for the praise, or at least you tell yourself that, but there’s a rush to it all the same.

It hit Steve [Spielberg] too. Suddenly a Spielberg Production [Maus] won an Oscar for something other than technical categories, and it did so while raising millions for a worthy cause. Suddenly Hooked! wasn’t going to live up to it in his mind. He was “Hooked” on something else now.

“Bernie,” he told me at the Oscar after party, “I think it’s time for Schindler.”

Schindler%27s_List_movie.jpg

Schindler’s List was a script that he’d been toying with for years. He’d alternately thought about making it himself, or talked with big names like Scorsese and Pollack and Polanski. He’d never felt “ready” for such a big leap into drama, particularly with everyone seeing him as the “blockbuster guy”. But now, with Maus getting near universal praise, he felt ready. “I need to do this for my children and family,” he told me.

Maybe I was high on it all myself. “Let’s do it,” I said. “MGM. Christmas release. Proceeds to the [Holocaust] museum. It’ll probably crash and burn, but let us do Jurassic Park too and that should help cover the costs.”

“I want to direct Schindler,” Steve told me.

“Absolutely. Before or after Jurassic?”

“Instead. Give JP to Burton. If he can do with that what he did with Maus and Scissorhands, he’ll knock it out of the park.”

Steve set into Schindler with a passion I haven’t seen from a director in years. Beatty, Costner, and Gibson all wanted to play the titular role, but Steve gave it to Liam Neeson based on his success in Dead Poet’s Society for Hollywood Pictures. Steve even liked the pathos he gave to the Lizard. Filming began in the spring of 1991, just weeks after we’d signed the deal.

Steve ultimately didn’t even take a share for himself, considering it “blood money”. Just enough to cover his company’s expenses. We brought in our other partners on Maus, ultimately seeing the film co-produced by Brooksfilms under the neutral B&B Productions label, and funded in partnership with Jack Tramiel of Commodore.

Production went well. Steve outdid himself. It was gut wrenching in all the right ways. Neeson was sublime and deservedly took home the Oscar. You knew all that. It would debut for Christmas of 1992.

Strangely, this put it up against MGM’s other Big Important Picture, Malcolm X, which we’d scooped up from Warner. I’ll talk about that one at another time.

The important thing is that Schindler, which we released two weeks after X, became a surprise hit! Even the Germans loved it, making it a breakout hit there. Guilt? Hoping to identify with Schindler? Who knows? It would go on to break $300 million at the international box office, with about $25 million of it going to the museum. I’d have given more away but after the kerfuffle with the board over Song of Susan I wasn’t about to make that same mistake again. They can have their 30 pieces of silver.

Yea, I just said that. Sue me.

But if Steve and I were ecstatic, then Spike was furious. “You fucked me, Bernie!”

“I did no such fucking thing, Spike. Nobody expected this to happen with a Holocaust movie!”

“Even from Spielberg?”

Especially from Spielberg! He does killer shark movies!”

I eventually talked Spike down. I even showed him our projections for Schindler, which we gave an even chance of breaking even and were prepared to write off entirely. Of course, we didn’t expect much better than breaking even with his film either, to be honest. And Malcolm X still made bank, breaking $70 million internationally after a surprisingly good international showing. And pretty soon he had a new target for his ire: The Academy, which gave all the statuettes to Steve and Clint Eastwood.

Would Malcolm X have done better if we’d delayed Schindler? Who can say?

But he wasn’t the only one who saw red. When X failed to take home a single statue in March of ‘93, not even one for Denzel, the streets of Brooklyn erupted into angry protests and soon counter-protests as the simmering tensions between the Black and Jewish communities exploded once again. The Nation of Islam, even, hypocritically enough, Farrakhan himself (which is kind of ironic given his recent admissions), used the opportunity to spread antisemitic conspiracy theories. Some of my own tribe said some stupid shit that Steve and I had to call them out on. There were even some isolated incidents of rioting and a case of arson that the press blew up into “as bad as LA” (it wasn’t!).

But what a story, right? “The Oscar Riots!” People rioting over the fucking Oscars!

No, Peter Jennings, you putz, they were rioting over decades of poverty, bigotry, antisemitism, and ethnic tension. If it hadn’t been over a couple of movies, it would have been over something like George Steinbrenner benching Charlie Hayes.

Steve and Spike agreed to appear together to ask for calm. Steve pushed for more people to see Malcolm X and got it a slight bump at the Box Office. Others reportedly went to see X and Schindler both, wondering what all the fuss was about.

That fucking riot probably made us another $10 million, if you can fucking believe it.

We took some of the Schindler and X money to help rebuild Brooklyn and support community healing initiatives, once again trying to do the right thing—the same right thing that got us into the mess to begin with.

The whole contrast between the event and the shit I got over The Song of Susan really put a lot into perspective for me. You do the right thing and raise millions for charity and suddenly have to defend your job. You inadvertently cause a fucking riot, and you make millions.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished after all…and no bad deed unrewarded.

Is it possible for Burton to do Stay Tuned (1992 in OTL) like he was supposed to but dropped it to do Batman Returns?

His style would make so much sense for this movie and while it’s not a bad movie it just doesn’t flesh out the story like it should. Burton could help fix that.

I could also see Kevin Nealon or Phil Hartman doing great stuff in the lead male role with maybe a new villain actor since Jeffrey Jones had ……issues. Maybe the late great Ray Walston, who already played the devil in Damn Yankees! Or maybe Eugene Levy, who did great work in the film as the villainous henchman.

6469C3AF-9E50-47EE-97BB-C211CF8074AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Oof the USA really is a powder barrel right now ITTL.

Hopefully Al Gore can deal with it probably after he is in office.

I'm surprised that Spielberg has made Schindler's List so early given that we know that Roger Rabbit Sequels are still on the way, dud he still do the Prequel idea or is it something else? Or is Spielberg not involved?

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.