Status
Not open for further replies.
[2] A similar thing happened in 1991 in our timeline in Crown Heights after a car that was a part of a Rabbi’s funeral hit two young black children. The proximate cause of that is butterflied, but random butterflies alone will not end years of mutual distrust exacerbated by economic challenges and a lack of opportunity.

[3] Notably not among the big-name stars involved in this timeline is Bill Cosby, who’s money is going to high priced lawyers as he attempts to fight off numerous sexual assault accusations.
1. Guess Gavin Cato is alive and well ITTL for all we know, same for Yankel Rosenbaum.
2. The Cosby trial, mentioned before, would be interesting see and the consequences on american society and culture, especially Blacks.
Wonder what it means for both Cosby Show and Different World, since both were ending around the time of the trial if I'm not mistaken

Last edited:
Have a lot of catching up to do. Other things you plan to cover besides alternate pop culture? Hope more visually impaired characters can be part of different programs, if possible.

Even not accounting for butterflies, maybe Eddie Murphy can have a role and get an Oscar there.
The original play debuted in 1981 and Eddie Murphy did have a role in the 2006 film version as James (Jimmy) "Thunder" Early (who was inspired by the likes of James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Marvin Gaye):
c44eed9b4606a30d722d91684caf9bdc.jpg

Glad you and family are safe @Geekhis Khan

It is good to read MGM and Bernie came out to bat for Malcolm X, and espically the black acting community. Presuably Nichelle Nichols will be among them?

Good that controversial movies can make it onto the Big Screen and into the award nominations esp if it helps the conversation about racisim.

Yep, I live near Fredericksburg, VA, and we got hit by about 8-10" of heavy, wet snow. Trees down everywhere and power out for about 33 hours. Some of my coworkers are still without power. I-95 is still closed. So yes, missed yesterday's post. But all good here. Long, cold day and a half cooking over Sterno like a train hobo, but we all got through. Thanks, all, for the best wishes. So here's yesterday's post, which feels somehow strangely apropos to the situation in a way I can't quite explain.
Glad to see you are safe.

It's surprising to see this movie get made in an even more harrowing 90s in terms of race relations, but I think this was the best time for this film to get made, as others have said. I'm glad that Bernie was convinced of the merits of the movie and taking the risks to actually produce it themselves from MGM instead of letting it wither and die.

While it's a shame that the film wasn't as widely recognized as it should've been (not to mention it was snubbed by Steven Spielberg's movies, either Schindler's List or Jurassic Park IIRC), I do think that American Pop Culture will be able to see it as a major cornerstone in African American filmmaking and cultural history in the future.

There were some modest protests and a few political cartoons and some outraged speeches, but the controversy passed as newer outrages appeared to grab America’s goldfish-like attention span, like the Cosby Trial.
Oh crap, now that's a bombshell. I wonder if it will be just as captivating on 90s America as the OJ Simpson Trial.

When the press got word that Disney was taking over a Malcolm X biopic, they had a field day. People on both sides of the Malcolm X legacy were outraged, either because we were somehow “polluting” Disney (even though it was an MGM picture!) by dealing with a controversial figure or because we were making a mockery of Malcolm X. You can’t win some days.
All said, the most lasting legacy of the controversy was a spate of graffiti that started in New York and soon began appearing in LA and cities the world over. It featured Mickey Mouse as Malcolm X. Mickey X, I guess?! To this day I’m not entirely certain whether they were painted appreciatingly, ironically, insultingly, or some weird combination of these.
I mean...you can't win them all I guess, especially when the topic is so controversial. At least Disney got out of this with a weird graffiti at some building in New York.

Last edited:
Nice post, glad to see Malcom X got the support it needed. I've not actually seen the film so I'm afraid I can't say anything about the production other than Bernie continues to be a highlight of the timeline.

Maybe it would have done better without Steve’s picture as competition, but who knows?
That sounds like foreshadowing, unless I've badly forgotten what's already been posted.

alive-dead.gif

Yep, I live near Fredericksburg, VA, and we got hit by about 8-10" of heavy, wet snow. Trees down everywhere and power out for about 33 hours. Some of my coworkers are still without power. I-95 is still closed. So yes, missed yesterday's post. But all good here. Long, cold day and a half cooking over Sterno like a train hobo, but we all got through. Thanks, all, for the best wishes. So here's yesterday's post, which feels somehow strangely apropos to the situation in a way I can't quite explain.

Chapter 13, The Lion Gets its Teeth Back (Cont’d)
Excerpt from Where Did I Go Right? (or: You’re No One in Hollywood Unless Someone Wants You Dead), by Bernie Brillstein (with Cheryl Henson)

So, bringing Spike Lee on board helped the MGM Lion get its bite back, but by 1991 I was increasingly starting to think that it had bitten off more than I could chew. His Jungle Fever had gone well for us, $44 million against a modest $14 million budget, despite the controversy of the interracial relationship plot. Looking back, it’s crazy to believe how that was such a big deal back then…things have come so far in some ways, even if not in others, but I digress.

But in the fall of ’91 Spike showed up in my office with a proposal/request: “Bernie, I’d like you to take over Malcolm X from Warner.”

Malcolmxdvdset.jpg

Oh boy, where to start?

Malcolm X was a controversial figure back in his heyday in the ‘60s and ‘70s. A lot of white people saw him at the time as the anti-Martin Luther King, the angry, violent counterpoint to MLK’s peaceful ministry of acceptance and forgiveness. Back in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, in the face of increasing inner-city anger as the recession hit there hardest of all, Malcolm X had increasingly become a folk hero, and “X” hats were suddenly a thing. Warner had picked up the biopic and tossed it around Development Hell for decades. I remembered the uproar when they announced that Norman Jewison was slated to direct. And now Spike wanted MGM to pick it up.

“Isn’t he the guy who hated white people?” I asked.

If looks could kill, my head would have exploded on the spot. “It’s much more nuanced than that,” Spike said, flatly. He tossed a well-dogeared paperback of the Autobiography of Malcolm X on my desk. “Read it for yourself, Bernie, then tell me this isn’t a life’s story worth telling.”

Ok, challenge accepted. I read the book. I met with him again.

“I get it,” I told him, looking him in the eye. “It’s about rebirth.”

He smiled. “Yea.”

Yes, it turns out that Malcolm X had many lives. He started as a country boy, became a hep cat in the big city, became a small-time crook, became a prisoner, became a Muslim believer in prison, became a controversial spiritual and political leader, and then went on his Hadj and embraced a more peaceful, inclusive humanitarian outlook and started preaching love and tolerance. So, naturally, that’s when he got shot.

We got down to business. Spike had essentially seized the production from Jewison. He’d challenged Warner to hire a Black director, so they hired him. Jewison was frankly relieved, as he knew he’d be walking on eggshells. Even so, Spike got a ration of shit from Amiri Baraka and others for being a “Buppie”, whatever the hell that meant. So Spike took over the Warner production, but they refused to give him the budget he requested, so Francis Ford Coppola advised him to get the film “pregnant” by producing things until the studio had invested so much in sunk cost that they felt compelled to follow through with the larger budget needed. Even then, he’d sunk $2 million of his own $3 million paycheck on the picture. It still wasn’t enough.

“They’re going to take the film from me,” he said. He meant the bond company, which was on the verge of taking possession of everything and ending production. They wanted him to cut it down to two hours, fifteen minutes, where his envisioned cut was over three hours[1]. “I’ve got half the Black folks in Hollywood eager to pay the rest of the cost,” he said. “But I need to do the film I think needs to be made, not Warner, not the bond company, and not you, Bernie.”

It was a serious risk. Even beyond the standard controversy surrounding the man himself, race was on the verge of an explosion in the early 1990s. Just earlier that summer a young black man had been shot and killed by a Jewish man in a store in Brooklyn. To hear the one side say it, it was self-defense during a robbery. To hear the other side say it, it was a racially-motivated murder. Suddenly the borough of Brooklyn was in flames and the unrest threatened to spill over into Queens, the Bronx, and even Manhattan[2]. Spike had spoken out about it. Sam Fuller snapped back, and soon the two of them were back to lighting up the studios with their arguments.

Well, they apparently fought their way to a mutual understanding, because soon the two of them were off to New York, together, to appeal for calm and justice all around.

An old Jew and a young Black man walk into a riot. Stop me if you heard this one.

Anyway, the two were on the border of friendship at this point. Maybe past it. Whatever the case, Sam was lobbying me to take up the picture too. They convinced Jim to support it.

But the truth is that they didn’t need to convince me. I was on board. I called up my contacts at Warner Bros. and we worked out a deal. MGM would take over production and financing for the remainder of the production, we’d split the costs of distribution, which eased the minds of the bond company, and worst-case scenario we’d all have a neat tax write-off for the next couple of years and maybe some statuettes. Maybe they could help us out in a future production.

When the press got word that Disney was taking over a Malcolm X biopic, they had a field day. People on both sides of the Malcolm X legacy were outraged, either because we were somehow “polluting” Disney (even though it was an MGM picture!) by dealing with a controversial figure or because we were making a mockery of Malcolm X. You can’t win some days.

There were some modest protests and a few political cartoons and some outraged speeches, but the controversy passed as newer outrages appeared to grab America’s goldfish-like attention span, like the Cosby Trial.

All said, the most lasting legacy of the controversy was a spate of graffiti that started in New York and soon began appearing in LA and cities the world over. It featured Mickey Mouse as Malcolm X. Mickey X, I guess?! To this day I’m not entirely certain whether they were painted appreciatingly, ironically, insultingly, or some weird combination of these.

But anyway, Spike came through with pretty much every major African American star[3] from Eddie Murphy to Oprah to the Artist at the Time Formerly Known as Prince signed on to help fund the film through to the end. They didn’t even ask for a share of anything. They just wanted to see it screen. We gave them all cameos anyway.

By the time we took over production, the film was already half in the can, but some of the more expensive and challenging shots had yet to be made. We had to hire an all-Muslim crew, for example, in order to film the scenes in Mecca, not to mention we had to get special permission just to film there, period. I have to say, being a Jew in Saudi Arabia in the early 1990s was a strange experience, and I was sure that I’d be marked for trouble, but it turns out Spike (Christian) and I were for the most part welcomed as “People of the Book” by the people we met. I took the opportunity to visit Jerusalem and the Western Wall while I was there in the region. I’m hardly the most devout member of the tribe, but damn it, it was a moving experience.

The final cut of Malcom X was over three hours. An epic length drama with a mostly Black cast. Made by a director-writer-producer as a passion project. With a long and troubled production. Passed from on studio to another. To hear the usual Hollywood know-it-alls, it should have failed miserably.

And yet when Malcolm X screened in December of ’92 to great critical acclaim, to the happy surprise of us all it became a moderate success, making back double its ultimately $35 million budget. Maybe it would have done better without Steve’s picture as competition, but who knows? After heavy lobbying, we got Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Director, and Denzel naturally got nominated for Best Actor, but, well, you already know what happened with Steve’s big movie.

In the long run, Malcolm X is seen by many as Spike’s Magnum Opus. In a better world, maybe it would have swept the Oscars. It should have gotten at least one, in my opinion. But Oscars or not, Malcom X is remembered as a great moment in cinema history. And even with all the insanity that started two weeks later when Steve’s movie debuted, I’m glad that MGM got to play a part in it.

[1] All in accordance with our timeline so far.

[2] A similar thing happened in 1991 in our timeline in Crown Heights after a car that was a part of a Rabbi’s funeral hit two young black children. The proximate cause of that is butterflied, but random butterflies alone will not end years of mutual distrust exacerbated by economic challenges and a lack of opportunity.

[3] Notably not among the big-name stars involved in this timeline is Bill Cosby, who’s money is going to high priced lawyers as he attempts to fight off numerous sexual assault accusations.
Great to see you're alright, mate. Lovely post as always. :)

So speaking of freezing temperatures, What's the status of Disney on Ice?
I don't see why they would stop, since it happened shortly after the POD and there's no reason why Jim would even object to it ITTL. Although, we can definitely see different productions happen for it like a Kaguya or even an alt-Aladdin show, IMO.

Movies Fall-Winter 1992
New York Times Short Movie Reviews, Fall & Winter 1992

Catch the Hell Train

It’s a future world, perhaps our own. The sun is now swollen into an expanding red giant, or perhaps it is another star. Humans live crammed into filthy cities. The elites live atop towering skyscrapers. And everywhere death, darkness, and sadism reign. And those who fall too far get literally swept up by The Train, an evil looking bio-mechanical underground locomotive designed by H.G. Giger of Alien fame. And you thought the C Train was bad. Ridley Scott and Giger team up with director John Carpenter to create this sexy, surreal, and visceral science fiction horror story for 20th Century informed by Giger’s art and sensibilities. Alas, the film is kind of bloated and nonsensical, lacking the cohesive storytelling of Alien or The Thing, even as it takes cues from both. Stylistically brilliant, the story fails to come together in the end. But for fans of the dark visions of Giger and who want to see a twisted morality play through his dark lens, it is an occasionally moving if inconsistent vision. Still, what visuals they are![1]

gigers-species-train.jpg

Isobar, Rated R for horror, disturbing scenes, nudity, sex, violence, action, adult language, and adult situations, ⭐ ⭐ ½

“Mr. Right” is Wrong in So Many Ways

Sandra Bullock is a hot up-and-coming actress, but this Hyperion Rom-Com is hardly her best. While her performance is perfectly adequate, the film itself is a formulaic mess with little to distinguish it from any other romantic comedy. With the premise of Bullock’s Carry Harrigan seeking a short-term relationship with the obnoxious but sexy Jake Fleming (Tate Donovan), who in turn seeks something more lasting, this mild sex comedy manages to be neither particularly sexy nor particularly comedic. Bullock and Donovan maintain a good chemistry, likely a result of their real-life romance, but not even good chemistry can make up for a vapid plot and sappy dialog. While probably a workable date movie if you can’t agree on anything else, the spotty direction and terrible, cliched dialog make this a hard slog.

Mr. Right Now, Rated T for sexuality, adult language, and adult situations, ⭐½

Love and War

This film was a long time coming, a labor of love for writer and director Neil Jordan, who sought for years to get his screenplay, originally named “The Soldier’s Wife,” greenlit. And once you are shown the controversial “reveal”, as it were, you will know that The Crying Game was a risky production and that only a company willing to court controversy like ABC’s Miramax, a label struggling to recover its image after the scandals of its cofounder Harvey Weinstein, would be willing to touch. Thanks largely to lobbying by musician Freddie Mercury, the film was nearly picked up by MGM with Creative Chief Jim Henson reportedly a supporter, but that went nowhere thanks to pushback from the board, reportedly from the Disney family itself. But what MGM dropped, ABC has picked up and run with, producing an Oscar-worthy film. The Crying Game is already getting a reputation for its “shocking twist”, which is a shame, because it is an important story of our fears, our love, out hate, and our expectations. It addresses ethic strife, war, crime, sex, gender, and relationships, and the pressures of society, political and cultural, that divide us and tear us apart. It deserves to be milestone in cinema, for the “twist” is not “all you need to know about The Crying Game.”

250px-Crying_game_poster.jpg

The Crying Game, Rated R for nudity, sex, violence, adult language, and adult situations, ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Bloody Brilliant

When this film screened at Cannes earlier this year, it caused a riot. And yet the real drama was yet to come. Reservoir Dogs, the first production of debut writer-director Quentin Tarantino, who prior to this was working in a video store, began as a low-budget 9mm film project before being discovered by Harvey Keitel. It is almost ludicrously violent and profane (take that R-rating seriously!) nearly to the point of deconstruction (the “Stuck in the Middle with You” scene will haunt your nightmares). And yet between the quirky dialog, the memorable characters, and the dark ironic bathos that plays extreme acts of violence against some jaunty pop songs, there’s a subtle genius to the film that made it the most talked about film at Cannes, even as many walked out during the screening.

But as mentioned, the real drama came later, when Miramax Films agreed to distribute. At first, Tarantino seemed to have found a good partner in Harvey Weinstein. But then, following in the wake of the post-Thomas/Hill reckoning on workplace sexual misconduct, Weinstein was suddenly being called out in the press amid numerous accusations of often egregious treatment of his female employees. And just as Reservoir Dogs was seeing wide release, Tarantino, in an interview with E! News, bit the hand that fed him…as hard and viciously as any of his psychopathic characters. “Thank God that we had an all-male principal cast,” he said[2]. “I’d hate to think that I’d lured some young woman into Harvey’s office!”

While the interview reportedly infuriated the Weinstein brothers and likely sabotaged any future deals with Miramax, the sheer controversy of it all has been making the rounds, and spurring a huge spike in attendance. And reportedly Hyperion, Orion, and New Line have all approached Tarantino about future productions!

The real-life drama has mirrored the story beats of the film itself: egregious and uncomfortable violence and the reactions to it driving a true act of bravery and brilliance.

Reservoir_Dogs.png

Reservoir Dogs, Rated R for extreme violence, frequent profanity, crime, drugs, and adult situations, ⭐⭐⭐

Sometimes you Need a Crook

Mr. Murphy goes to Washington in this satirical political comedy directed by Jerry Zucker of ZAZ fame. When small time con artist Thomas Jefferson Johnson (Eddie Murphy) takes advantage of name recognition to claim the Congressional seat from the recently deceased Jefferson Davis "Jeff" Johnson (Warren Beatty doing his best Huey Long), hilarity ensues as he soon finds Capitol Hill to be the biggest con of all. But when the real-world consequences of his actions begin to become apparent to him, Johnson must choose between maintaining the long con and doing what’s right. Zucker’s direction here is beautiful, and just slightly over the top, while still maintaining a sense of humanity. It’s a “serious” directorial turn for Zucker when compared to his zany slapstick stuff with ZAZ, but it still packs in gags and funny situations aplenty. This Hollywood Pictures film is sure to score points with the crowds[3].

225px-Distinguished_gentleman.jpg

The Distinguished Gentleman, Rated T for adult language and adult situations, ⭐⭐⭐

In Brief:
  • Last of the Mohicans: Michael Mann’s perfectionist tendencies pay off in this beautifully shot historical epic adventure; ⭐⭐⭐½
  • Sexual Advances: Donna Deitch directs this timely erotic drama about sexual harassment and office power dynamics[4], starring Jodie Foster; ⭐⭐⭐½
  • Chaplin: Robert Downey Jr. excels with an Oscar-worthy performance in this otherwise spotty biopic of the great Charlie Chaplin; ⭐⭐½
  • The Mighty Ducks: Another fun Disney children’s sports film, this time about hockey, starring Judge Reinhold; ⭐⭐⭐

[1] Evolved from Dead Reckoning/The Train by Giger and Scott. In our timeline production never came together at Carolco, so Scott went on to direct Thelma and Louise and Carolco let it lapse into Production Hell and fade away. Giger eventually resurrected the Train visual for Species as a toss-away dream sequence. Here Scott convinced 20th Century to pick up The Train in turnaround from Orion in exchange for helming Alien 3. Hat tip to @Plateosaurus.

[2] Tarantino in our timeline expressed outrage when he found out about what Weinstein had done to the actresses that he hired.

[3] Unlike our timeline’s overpriced, underperforming meh-fest, Zucker will take the talents that he applied to Ghost in our timeline to make this a fun winter’s distraction with some humorous but biting political satire, making $130 million against its $35 million budget.

[4] Was made for TV in our timeline. Here her success with Life Stinks and the stronger reckoning on sexual harassment make it a star-studded theatrical release.

Y'know, it'd be really cool to see Angry Video Game Nerd make a cameo in a future post about video games (Considering Larry is meant to be an expy of Doug Walker)

Catch the Hell Train

It’s a future world, perhaps our own. The sun is now swollen into an expanding red giant, or perhaps it is another star. Humans live crammed into filthy cities. The elites live atop towering skyscrapers. And everywhere death, darkness, and sadism reign. And those who fall too far get literally swept up by The Train, an evil looking bio-mechanical underground locomotive designed by H.G. Giger of Alien fame. And you thought the C Train was bad. Ridley Scott and Giger team up with director John Carpenter to create this sexy, surreal, and visceral science fiction horror story for 20th Century informed by Giger’s art and sensibilities. Alas, the film is kind of bloated and nonsensical, lacking the cohesive storytelling of Alien or The Thing, even as it takes cues from both. Stylistically brilliant, the story fails to come together in the end. But for fans of the dark visions of Giger and who want to see a twisted morality play through his dark lens, it is an occasionally moving if inconsistent vision. Still, what visuals they are![1]

gigers-species-train.jpg

Isobar, Rated R for horror, disturbing scenes, nudity, sex, violence, action, adult language, and adult situations, ⭐ ⭐ ½
Glad this got in here, even without critical praise.

I wonder if this replaces Memoirs of an Invisible Man on Carpenter's schedule, and it frees up either the crew or cast or is made differently.

Also, is the title Isobar a reference to something? So far I only get a company, weather pressure, and atoms having the same amount of protons and neutrons on my Google search.

Last edited:
Isobar- probably like the visuals, but never watch it. I do hope Alien 3 turns out like OTL as its subdued nature compared to the horror of Alien or the action of Aleins really worked for me, and of course it was the last Alien movie.

Mr. Right Now- avoid pile!

The Crying Game- shame that MGM missed it, but they cannot get all the hits. Not sure if ITTL me would see this. Maybe.

Reservoir Dogs - I like Tarantino biting back at Harvey Weinstein. Might have seen this in cinema cos of this rather than on disc like OTL.

The Distinguished Gentleman- wonder if this movie might spark anyone on the Hill to consider if the shady practices in the film might be mirroring something in real life that needs investigation similar to the Weinstein/Cosby digging?

Last of the Mohicans- saw at cinema, likely to ITTL too.

Nice round up there. Some butterflies, but that's what we like heh? Nice work @Geekhis Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.