Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Flag Challenge #289
CONTINENTAL SYSTEM ALLIANCE flag2.png

After the defeat of the Allies in Iberia and installation of Joseph as King, the Continental System went from strength to strength.
Industry in Belgium and the Rhineland benefitted from the ending of British competition but, the System failed to bring Britain to its knees by ruining its finances and provoking social unrest.
Smuggling was common; some countries ignored it, the Continental System and its economic consequences heightened the unpopularity of Napoleon in Europe. Napoleon was forced first to strengthen then eventually to grant exceptions to the ban. Britain replied with its own Orders in Council against French trade.

The Continental System, originally an attempt at economic warfare, evolved with the abolition of tariffs from country-to-country within Europe. This enabled European Trade to recover from the effects of the System. Even so, the British blockade of Europe slowed the internal European economy. Since land transport was so slow, Eastern Europe had major problems getting goods from Western Europe. Britain compensated for the loss of European trade by stepping up its volume of trade with its colonies.

Britain's final throw of the dice was the Fifth Coalition and, with its defeat, the system grew to include both the Ottoman Empire and the United States. Over time the system grew to become nominal, more observed in name rather than in practice, however, the connexions also evolved, gradually, into the Continental System Alliance we know today.

The map shows the situation in 1832, showing Alliance partners in shades of Blue, denoting their commitment to the Alliance.
Their opponents; Britain and the EIC are in shades of Red, Portuguese Kingdom of Brazil in Green, the remnants of the Spanish Empire in Yellow, Exiled Kingdom of Denmark in Dark Turquoise and Texas in Buff.
Also shown, Native Tribes of the Americas and Neutral States.

CONTINENTAL SYSTEM ALLIANCE.PNG

Flag Challenge #289
View attachment 845615
After the defeat of the Allies in Iberia and installation of Joseph as King, the Continental System went from strength to strength.
Industry in Belgium and the Rhineland benefitted from the ending of British competition but, the System failed to bring Britain to its knees by ruining its finances and provoking social unrest.
Smuggling was common; some countries ignored it, the Continental System and its economic consequences heightened the unpopularity of Napoleon in Europe. Napoleon was forced first to strengthen then eventually to grant exceptions to the ban. Britain replied with its own Orders in Council against French trade.

The Continental System, originally an attempt at economic warfare, evolved with the abolition of tariffs from country-to-country within Europe. This enabled European Trade to recover from the effects of the System. Even so, the British blockade of Europe slowed the internal European economy. Since land transport was so slow, Eastern Europe had major problems getting goods from Western Europe. Britain compensated for the loss of European trade by stepping up its volume of trade with its colonies.

Britain's final throw of the dice was the Fifth Coalition and, with its defeat, the system grew to include both the Ottoman Empire and the United States. Over time the system grew to become nominal, more observed in name rather than in practice, however, the connexions also evolved, gradually, into the Continental System Alliance we know today.

The map shows the situation in 1832, showing Alliance partners in shades of Blue, denoting their commitment to the Alliance.
Their opponents; Britain and the EIC are in shades of Red, Portuguese Kingdom of Brazil in Green, the remnants of the Spanish Empire in Yellow, Exiled Kingdom of Denmark in Dark Turquoise and Texas in Buff.
Also shown, Native Tribes of the Americas and Neutral States.

View attachment 845619

It is ultimately your decision of course but I am not sure about the decision to have the center be light blue. Wouldn't white have been a better choice?

Sorry, I should have posted this earlier this week, but real life interfered:
As there is only one entry so far, the challenge is extended for an extra week (as allowed for in the rules). The new closing date is Monday 31st July, about 17:00 GMT (perhaps a bit later, depending on when I get back from work that evening). If there are no other entries by then, Anagnod will win by default.

OOC: Might as well give the Continental System a challenge, since the idea just came up to me.

Righteous Alliance

Righteous Alliance.png

"Across the four seas and distant lands, sin has taken over the world. The impious and the heathen surround us, all envious of those chosen by the grace of our Lord and Saviour. Imperial powers who had strayed from the light of God hunger for our riches, and seethe at the fierce resistance of those they sought to enslave. The heathen Japanese, outraged at our ascendance and strength of faith, continues to hamper the spread of His word, spurring the unenlightened within our ranks into revolt. For that, we have taken it upon ourselves to form a grand alliance, banding the oppressed peoples of the periphery together against our common enemies. May the Lord guide us through these trying times. God bless us all." - Hong Zhengping (洪正平), 3rd Heavenly King of Taiping, 1908 inaugural conference of the Righteous Alliance.

Dubbed the 'Holy League of the East', the Righteous Alliance holds the unique distinction of a Christian military alliance centered in the Far East. While the overthrow of the Qing dynasty by the Taiping rebellion was met with much celebration from the Western powers, relations with the new Taiping dynasty rapidly soured, as successive rulers sought to reverse the unequal treaties imposed on the previous government. Worse, the rise of modern Japan soon made it a champion for the now-persecuted non-Christian Chinese, especially the Buddhists victimized by attacks by Taiping Christian mobs and authorities. Beset on all sides by rivals and enemies, the Taiping kingdom quickly entered into alliances with rebel groups throughout Southeast and East Asia. Even the very faith that the Western powers used to undermine indigenous authority is now being used to spread heterodox doctrine, one that denounces their hypocrisy and hedonism, and questioned their own commitments to God.

Exemplified by a simple Chinese character of 'righteous' in a yellow background, the Righteous Alliance is composed of a hodgepodge of statelets and rebel groups across China's borders. From Christian tribes in the periphery of the British Raj, to the new Heavenly Kingdom of Goryeo, the Taiping-led alliance had taken great strides in a new 'crusade' against the imperial powers. With indigenous, Taiping-supported missions replacing Western ones at an unprecedented rate, many in Europe had begun to dread and envy the new Christian power of the east. Such is the threat of the Righteous Alliance that the rumours had spread of Taiping missionaries appealing to heretical Russian sects and the Oriental Orthodox churches.

Thanks. Here's the new challenge. Was reminded of another I did 5 years ago.

Flag challenge #290: No Place For Another Sun

The Middle Kingdom has fallen, beset by foreign invaders or unworthy usurpers. Scattered to the four winds, those that cling on to the old ways seek refuge in distant lands, to rebuild what was lost or found a new Middle Kingdom. The Mandate may be lost, who is to say it cannot be reclaimed. The squatters who taint the Forbidden Palace with their very presence will likely desire our end, and we must be ready for them.

Create a flag of a country founded by Chinese adventurers, diaspora, or simply a people claiming descent from them. For the sake of challenge:
  • Only countries affected by PODs before 1911 (at the fall of the Qing dynasty) may be considered. Republics and People's Republics are but corruptions by insidious Western devils.
  • The country must adopt aspects of Chinese culture, such as language, script or culture. It's ok if several generations of intermarriage had made the rulers virtually indistinguisable from the natives, but at least some aspect of their Chinese origins should still be visible and influential among the natives.
  • Do not just remake a flag of a historical or current country with a Chinese majority without a POD. His Divine Majesty demands entertainment!
  • Taiwan Chinese Taipei is strictly forbidden. It's been done to death. Other countries in the Sinosphere will be considered, but try to be more creative.
Now, go forth, and may fortune smile on you and your ancestors!

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 8th August 2023 - 19th August 2023 (4.00pm GMT+8)
Voting Period: 19th August 2023 - 26th August 2023

Last edited:
WFC #290

First time attempting something like this, I used GIMP, let me know if you've got any feedback.

ATL in which the Tang were victorious at the Battle of Talas in 751 and in general continued their expansion in Central Asia with further ease, with a negative impact on several other geopolitical entities in the area, that could never reach the power or size they achieved in OTL.

However, the An Lushan rebellion still happened. ITTL, a group of adventurers made headway within territories of northern Central Asia outside of Tang domains, where they founded the self-professed Changgui Kingdom. Their claim was that the Tang had lost the Mandate of Heaven due to their corruption allowing the rebellion to arise, and that the Yan were to be blamed for the atrocities of the tumults themselves, and thus never held it in the first place. The Changgui particularly attempted to expand in the general direction of Sogdia, due to its perceived links to An Lushan.

Though parts of the An Lushan rebellion played out differently - with the Tang borrowing less troops from other countries but also having more at their disposal in the first place due to their earlier expansion in Central Asia - the Tang eventually defeated the Yan, like in OTL. After the end of the tumults, in a similar way to the Youzhou Jiedushi area, the Changgui Kingdom held on as a semi-autonomous military district under the Tang for about a century. This flag was used during its period of complete autonomy, between the 750s and the mid-760s.

The flag, here presented devoid of any streamers that may have customarily been displayed alongside it, resembles one used by the Tang dynasty (this is a clickable link for comparison). However, the Changgui flag lacks the sun-and-moon symbol the Tang flag has in its centre, and has a different colour scheme. Specifically, the yellow in the centre of the Tang flag has been replaced with black, the outer black spiked line has been replaced with red, and the white line in between them has been replaced with qing (which indicates green or blue). Lastly, a plain, proportionally smaller yellow circle has replaced the sun-and-moon circle in the centre of the Tang flag. These decisions all largely correlate to wuxing - in particular, the prominence of black in the flag indicates the fact that the adventurers who founded the Changgui Kingdom did so by journeying northwards, and that, in their opinion, they mantained something which others had lost.

cnflag4.png

Sorry if it's a bit late. Been too busy yesterday. Does anyone need more time? If not, I'll just declare the winner by default.

Thank you both! And I'm glad my flag was appreciated, though it could've been nice to have more competition.

Here's the new challenge!
FLAG CHALLENGE #291: “O Franza o Spagna, purché se magna”

"Either France or Spain, as long as there's something to eat." A saying from our own timeline, rather dubiously attributed to Francesco Guicciardini in the context of the then-current sixteenth century Habsburg-Valois Wars, during and after which the two dynasties partitioned between themselves Italy and other states affected by the fighting.

Your task is to design a flag for any ATL state which:
  • Holds lands outside of modern-day Italy
  • Has obtained lands in Italy after one or more war treaties
  • Isn't considered primarily Italian by its current leaders
  • Isn't a theocracy, but may have any other form of government
  • Isn't a splinter of, or a vassal of, the Eastern Roman Empire
Point of divergence may be anywhere between the start of the sixth century and the end of the eighteenth century.

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for an image in a single-flag entry, the shortest side must be 600 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 1200 pixels or less.

Submissions Close: Saturday, 1st of September, 19:00 GMT+2 (barring extensions) Friday, 8th of September, 19:00 GMT+2

Last edited:
A reminder that the initial deadline's on the 1st.
Hypothetically, what'd happen if nobody entered even after an extension? Would I just issue a new, simpler challenge as #292?

A reminder that the initial deadline's on the 1st.
Hypothetically, what'd happen if nobody entered even after an extension? Would I just issue a new, simpler challenge as #292?
Thanks for the reminder - depending on this last week of my children's school holidays goes I might manage to get something done, but it's a bit chaotic at the moment, so I can't promise, sorry.

If no-one enters even after an extension, you can re-issue a new challenge but it keeps the original number - just call it № 291 Redux or something.
You may also want to post a link to the challenge in the current Flag Thread, to attempt to drum up some more interest.

Thanks for the reminder - depending on this last week of my children's school holidays goes I might manage to get something done, but it's a bit chaotic at the moment, so I can't promise, sorry.

If no-one enters even after an extension, you can re-issue a new challenge but it keeps the original number - just call it № 291 Redux or something.
You may also want to post a link to the challenge in the current Flag Thread, to attempt to drum up some more interest.
Many thanks for the advice!

It looks like the initial deadline is over with no entries, so I'll be allowing an extension until Friday, 8th of September, 19:00 GMT+2!

Without further ado, here's the new challenge! Hopefully it'll draw in some fun entries.
FLAG CHALLENGE #291 REDUX: “Red Team, Blue Team”

Design two flags belonging to alternate timeline nations or organisations that are in some way rivals during a certain time period. One of the flags must contain red and must not contain blue. The other must contain blue and must not contain red. No other restrictions of any sort apply outside of the usual contest rules. Go wild!

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for each image in a multiple-flag entry, the shortest side must be 400 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 600 pixels or less.

Submissions Close: Saturday, 15th of September, 11:00 GMT+2 (barring extensions) Saturday, 23rd of September, 9:00 AM GMT+2

Last edited:
Another extension: new deadline is Saturday, 23rd of September, 9:00 AM GMT+2!

If we don't get any entries by then I'll hand this back over to our volunteers

The people of Oz had experienced great prosperity in the decades following Dorothy's triumphant trek to the Emerald City. The League of Yellow Brick Road Maintenance Workers (LYBRMW) and the Lollipop Guild both felt that they were at the root of this great success.
The LYBRMW believed that their many hours of toil building and maintaining the fabled Yellow Brick Road were the primary reason that Dorothy was able to complete her journey.
The Lollipop Guild felt that Dorothy would never have even begun her journey if they had not offered their sage and infamous advice on the fateful day that Dorothy's house landed in their midst.
Both sides have lived in relative harmony however, several minor disagreements have broken out forcing Glinda the Good Witch of the North to mediate settlements between the two sides. Because of the rivalry members of the Lollipop Guild rarely travel the yellow brick road, opting instead to travel the more circuitous route of the red brick road, when traveling to the Emerald City. Likewise, members of the LYBRMW rarely venture to Munchkin-land out of spite and, consequently, the yellow brick road has fallen into great disrepair in this region.

The League of Yellow Brick Road Maintenance Workers Flag:
Emerald Field represents the Emerald City where the yellow brick road terminates and where the League headquarters are located.
Yellow wavy line represents the yellow brick road.
Red wavy line represents the ruby slippers that Dorothy wore on her journey to the Emerald City.

The Lollipop Guild Flag:
Lollipops, enough said.

FOoYBRWA.JPG

LPG.JPG

New contest:
FLAG CHALLENGE #292: "Fairy Tales”

For the life of me I cannot think of a contest subject so I figure I will just expand on my "winning" entry. LOL

Create a flag that represents a nation, organization, city, kingdom, etc. from a fairy tale of your choosing.

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for each image in a multiple-flag entry, the shortest side must be 400 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 600 pixels or less.