The skies were red, there was a rumble in the Earth, and overnight it was there. No one outside the Despotate of Zothique
knows where it came from, just that it appeared, a virgin microcontinent, in the heart of the Pacific Ocean. Theories abound. Sunken land raised from the depths? A place transported from the past or future? One called down from space? A voracious living organism? No one knows for sure, and the Cadre, greatest band of sorcerors and science villains the world has ever seen, certainly aren't telling, though they've used the threat of vengeance weapons of terrible power to force the issue of international recognition. The Cadre rules the land with an iron fist, having populated it entirely with their followers and servitors, wielding supreme power from the capitol city of Rendang. As near as the members of the heroic Deep State can tell, the Despotate is divided into five primary factions:
- The Children of the Broken World, serving the whims of the Crooked Man. What if Ra's al Ghul was the Joker?
- The Bloody Tongue, servitors of the Queen of Sighs. Basically Doctor Strange foe Umar.
- The Vril Society, guided by the iron will of Sun Koh. Red Skull meets Namor.
- The Ancestors of Tsan Chan, devotees of the Maker of Moons. Mandarin meets Vandal Savage but Lovecraftian.
- The Abhuman Liberation Front, shepherded by the Typhonian. Magneto, but with powers revolving around causing natural disasters.
The flag of the despotate combines symbols of these five fractions, with a Vril sign inside a sigil of the Bloody Tongue, black and gold favored by the Typhonian, the particular shade of green for the Crooked Man and an overall structure based on the banner of Tsan Chan.
Basically, what if a Legion of Doom controlled a much larger version of Gamorra?