Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Looks like there is no interest in the contest at present so I am going to forfeit my week to the board mids to determine a way forward. Hopefully we can get this jump started again soon.

Looks like there is no interest in the contest at present so I am going to forfeit my week to the board mids to determine a way forward. Hopefully we can get this jump started again soon.
Hello, sandpro. I just noticed that the contest drifted out of awareness. You can try restarting a round with another idea and see if that works to spur some entries.

Let's see if we can get this back on track, shall we?

FLAG CHALLENGE #292: "California Dreamin”

1280px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

I have a certain fondness for the flag of the US state of California. So using this flag as inspiration the new contest is as follows:

Create a flag of any nation or state using the California Republic "Bear Flag" as a guide

Rules:
- If using a nation it must be an existing member of the UN.
- State/province/protectorate/territory etc. must currently exist as part of a UN member nation.
- Your flag must contain at least one of each of the following elements:
1. Animal
2. Star (any number of points)
3. Band, bar, or stripe (can be diagonal, vertical, or horizontal)
4. Text

Submissions open: Now
Submissions close: Saturday, 29 June, 23:00 +5 GMT

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for each image in a multiple-flag entry, the shortest side must be 400 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 600 pixels or less.

Last edited:
Good idea and thanks for re-starting it.

That date doesn't make sense - it's 3-months-plus away and 23rd Sept isn't a Saturday. I know this is meant to be a 'weekly' challenge, but can I suggest a deadline of about two weeks' time instead?
Sorry, copy/pasted without editing. FIXED

The flag of the "République du Canada" also known as the "Castor-Ésseulé" flag (the "lonely beaver"). It was used following the independence of the Province of Lower Canada in 1840.

canada-california.png

Polar Bear Republic.png

Flag of the "Polar Bear Republic", one of several successors to Kerensky's Russian Republic to come out of the frozen conflict of the Russian Civil War, this one from the area under control of the allied intervention around Arkhangelsk.

Weekly flag challenge #292 voting is open

Because of the lack of participation over the past months I did not conduct the contest exactly as Transparent Blue had outlined HERE, primarily the size of entries and the location of the entry posts. Based on the amount of interest in restarting the contest, I suggest we strictly adhere to the rules moving forward.

Two entries were omitted by mistake. If you have already voted please revisit the poll and change your vote if you would like. Apologies to the two members I missed.

POLL IS HERE

Last edited:
Flag Contest #293
newzealand1.png

Create the flag of a "New Zealand" which has been colonised by another country than the UK.

Submissions open: Now
Submissions close: Saturday, 20 July, 23:59 Sydney time

Please remember to review the contest rules, especially concerning flag size: for each image in a multiple-flag entry, the shortest side must be 400 pixels or less, and the longest side must be 600 pixels or less.

Nouvelle-Bretagne.png

Flag of Nouvelle-Bretagne, a province of the Kingdom of France (AKA French New Zealand). The flag features the colours and arms of the province of Bretagne from where the majority of early settlers originated, and the Fleur-de-lis of the royal arms (symbolising their status as a French province) arranged in the shape of the Southern Cross (a constellation prominent in southern hemisphere iconography).

Last edited: