Weber's Germany: The Veterinarian Totalitarian

iddt3

Donor
Well I presume any armistice with the UK will include repatriation of POWs and pulling out of France and the low countries, probably some repatriations from France and de militarization. Even without getting French industry having access to the world market will be huge for Germany. In OTL Germany had an insane hodgepodge of equipment from different countries, I wonder if they might sell a lot of that off here to allow them to standardize on late model German stuff (especially on logistics, Germany needs to standardize on a few different truck models). They'll certainly need to find something to sell on the international markets if they want that precious Chrome, oil, and animal fats. Having an economy that's less based on looting will probably help Germany in the middle run as well.

I'm quite curious as to how this will change the Pacific theater. Weber is almost certainly not going to declare war on the US and without lend-lease even with Weber's limited gains I see the Soviets doing worse.(Not enough to lose but still worse then OTL.)

Greece invasion was much dependent by the fact that Benny needed a victory to cover the meager result of the italian armed forces in the war till the moment.
It's also partly due to political penis envy, given that Germany had gobbled up Poland and France OTL. Abating it might be enough to stop that harebrained idea...but then again, Mussolini's "critical" role in German advances might just inflate his ego and embolden him even more...:eek:

If Balbo remains, Weber had better hope that the war goes well for Italy, otherwise he might find himself dealing with this guy...
Figure 22: Italo Balbo's visit to the US in an attempt to improve relations didn't work out quite as planned...:p

So is Mussolini the same kind of buffoon ITTL as IOTL, or a bit more competent?
Seem the same, is just that the Italy entering the war has been planned in advance so is not the horrible clusterfuck of OTL due to believing that the conflict was almost over.
We will see if Balbo and the Duke of Aosta had enough time to improve the military situation in the colonies
Yes, basically. Hence my statement, "A little preparation can be a very dangerous thing." ;) The Italians, instead of rushing into what they reckoned was a done deal like in OTL, instead decided to win by sheer overkill - and for the most part, they've done pretty well, capturing Nice and Menton, and forcing Monaco to capitulate. Still, that's the magnitude of three cities compared to the Wehrmacht's progress...

What happens next really depends on how long the Spring War lasts, and whether that gives enough time for Mussolini to get smart ideas about invading the colonies...

Well I presume any armistice with the UK will include repatriation of POWs and pulling out of France and the low countries, probably some repatriations from France and de militarization. Even without getting French industry having access to the world market will be huge for Germany. In OTL Germany had an insane hodgepodge of equipment from different countries, I wonder if they might sell a lot of that off here to allow them to standardize on late model German stuff (especially on logistics, Germany needs to standardize on a few different truck models). They'll certainly need to find something to sell on the international markets if they want that precious Chrome, oil, and animal fats. Having an economy that's less based on looting will probably help Germany in the middle run as well.
These are all very good points, and Weber has been looking internationally in an attempt to avoid getting choked out by the Allies. Freer shipping might just be enough to keep the Nazi war machine running the way he wants it. :)

I'm quite curious as to how this will change the Pacific theater. Weber is almost certainly not going to declare war on the US and without lend-lease even with Weber's limited gains I see the Soviets doing worse.(Not enough to lose but still worse then OTL.)
Of all the implications of Germany's alternate strategy in WW2, Weber's decisions regarding his Asian allies are going to be the biggest, let's just say that. And the second point? Really depends on your definition of "lose", doesn't it? :cool:

As for the next update, uh, well...

rorschach.jpg

...yeah, it'll be next week. The sign is entirely accurate with regards to current events in TTL, though. ;)

EDIT: 500 posts!! This thread is almost on its way to being a real boy! :D

Last edited:
Uh oh... :eek:

And yay 500 posts!:)

How is weber with science? IOTL the nazis were distrustful of pure science, preferring practical research. They were better at applying the tech to weapons, but were behind the allies even before war began. So does Weber's Germany engage in actual research?

They probably won't get the a-bomb, but electronics and antibiotics might be found by Germany before or during the war, especially with their improved espionage. Both would be a massive boon to the war effort.

Am I right in assuming Weber isn't as into mystical occultism as OTL hitler? So no archaeological expeditions to Tibet, or attempts to uncover the ark of the covenant or holy grail a la Indiana jones?

And how exactly has weber handled the religious situation in Germany. When I studied history, my final project was on religion in nazi Germany, so I wonder how he's handled it differently. It was one of the few areas where hitler did something intelligent. He unified most Protestant churches under his own reich church, and compromised with the pope, but otherwise left the churches alone or assured their loyalty. I'd assume Weber did something similar.

But what about after the war? Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with a nazi occult religion, but is weber going to do that? Or is he content to simply control and nazify the Christian religion as hitler did, but not go further?

With the Church, it was a bit more complicated than that. Pacelli signed the Concordat under the assumption that Hitler would keep his word as much as a Weimar style politician would, when instead Hitler pretty much wiped his ass with it, and supressing things like Catholic Action and the Teutonic Order. Mit Brennender Sorge was pretty much one long, "What the hell, dude, I thought we had a deal?"

Uh oh... :eek:

And yay 500 posts!:)

How is weber with science? IOTL the nazis were distrustful of pure science, preferring practical research. They were better at applying the tech to weapons, but were behind the allies even before war began. So does Weber's Germany engage in actual research?

They probably won't get the a-bomb, but electronics and antibiotics might be found by Germany before or during the war, especially with their improved espionage. Both would be a massive boon to the war effort.

Weber is rather the technocrat, so he'll have a more accepting view of research and development - although the entire process is still state-owned, so it's still not up to par with the Allied innovations.

No Jewish Physics in the Reich, though.

With the Church, it was a bit more complicated than that. Pacelli signed the Concordat under the assumption that Hitler would keep his word as much as a Weimar style politician would, when instead Hitler pretty much wiped his ass with it, and supressing things like Catholic Action and the Teutonic Order. Mit Brennender Sorge was pretty much one long, "What the hell, dude, I thought we had a deal?"

Hitler's views on religion were... complicated.

Note to self: Put in a section about the Reich and religion in Chapter 2 of Weber's Germany Redux. :p

Anyway, in this version of Nazi Germany, Weber has chosen to coopt instead of repress, but the pogroms and anti-Semitic laws (no matter how well-disguised) still mean that a version of that pamphlet got released, but the Stasi has sent agents around to the seminarians to make sure they remain "discreet" about it.

There is no information about Weber's religious views, but for the sake of argument he's a fairly devout Catholic...who freely ignores the sixth I MEAN FIFTH commandment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You mean (Weber being Catholic, though German Protestants, mostly Lutherans, have the same numbering) the Fifth Commandment, right? Or is Weber having an affair with Scholz-Klink?;)

Man, it's bizarre when a practical icon of this side of the board comes in to your thread and chooses those things to comment on. :p

If Fuehrer don't dance, he's no ally of mine.

I'm fairly sure Paul was just some guy who stumbled upon the Time Machine after the creator accidentally killed his own grandfather or something, there's no way anyone that incompetent could have passed high school physics let alone redefining relativity.
In the ASB-side of things, which I swore never to return to :mad: (but I feel like it right now :eek:) Driscoll is the first to abuse time-travel in such a fashion, forever setting historical precedent for the major felony of Irreparable Damage to the Space-Time Continuum (Clause 1B: Generation of Alternate Realities) and singlehandedly catalysing the formation of the Time Police to stop an infinite recursion of time-travellers "fixing" the Hitler assassination (yes, Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act [warning: TV Tropes link. Click at total risk to the rest of your day] is in full effect in the ASB-side).

In-universe, Paul Driscoll is just an eerily prescient American who vanished from his prison cell, never to be seen again. ;)

No_Time_Like_the_Past.jpg

Figure 0: Paul Driscoll dismissing his second thoughts about killing Hitler, dooming the freedom of time travel forever.

On a more serious note, next update will be by Friday 25 July 2014, if not earlier. See y'all then. :cool:

Last edited:
Well, you did muse on an in-universe Bavarian policeman taking out Hitler, I could see that as well, the official just sensing there was something wrong and acting swiftly. It would be similar to Carl Weiss taking down Huey Long, if much earlier in Long's career.
But I like the Driscoll version much better. :cool: The disappearing assassin is intriguing, but wouldn't be a major problem, more an odd mystery in TTL, but not on the level of a fugitive John Wilkes Booth.
The Time Police may well have been formed because of this, keeping other "time avengers" and ASBs firmly off stage. They'd let this TL unfold without any further interference, figuring what's done is done.
I haven't commented before, but this is a very well-written timeline, very plausible, esp the veterinary angle. That makes such a difference, if still just as grim.
Now I'm wondering how Weber's Reich will fall, and when.

Man, it's bizarre when a practical icon of this side of the board comes in to your thread and chooses those things to comment on. :

That's really brightened my day you know, thanks. :eek:

It's just that I wanted to let you know I was enjoying things but didn't really have any quibbles with what's been posted, I did have a question on Norway but that was subsequently answered and I try to refrain from just posting 'Great Stuff' when I can, hence the randomness of the subject matter. :p

Stalin commands Weber dance, or else that offensive plans controversy might not be just a conspiracy theory ITTL...

In the ASB-side of things, which I swore never to return to :mad: (but I feel like it right now :eek:) Driscoll is the first to abuse time-travel in such a fashion, forever setting historical precedent for the major felony of Irreparable Damage to the Space-Time Continuum (Clause 1B: Generation of Alternate Realities) and singlehandedly catalysing the formation of the Time Police

Ah but the only reasonable explanation for the inventor of time travel to be such a dunce is that time is deliberately turning his brain into cabbage, like in 11/22/3. Whilst I'm sure there were many brave men involved, Alan Moore categorically exposed the Time Police as a hopeless organisation who in attempting to prevent the would-be Hitler shooters accidentally saved Britain from the brutal tyranny of the SDP-Liberal Alliance by becoming each others step-fathers. Considering the way they act I wouldn't be surprised if Driscoll was running the whole operation!

Well, you did muse on an in-universe Bavarian policeman taking out Hitler, I could see that as well, the official just sensing there was something wrong and acting swiftly. It would be similar to Carl Weiss taking down Huey Long, if much earlier in Long's career.
But I like the Driscoll version much better. :cool: The disappearing assassin is intriguing, but wouldn't be a major problem, more an odd mystery in TTL, but not on the level of a fugitive John Wilkes Booth.
The Time Police may well have been formed because of this, keeping other "time avengers" and ASBs firmly off stage. They'd let this TL unfold without any further interference, figuring what's done is done.
I haven't commented before, but this is a very well-written timeline, very plausible, esp the veterinary angle. That makes such a difference, if still just as grim.
Now I'm wondering how Weber's Reich will fall, and when.

Thank you very much! :D

Yes, the choice of PoD has plagued me ever since page 2 or so, and still isn't letting up, judging by the comments here. I'm going to stick to my guns here; stranger things have happened in OTL, which just makes one wonder whether the "invisible hand" of fate has been guiding it along...:p

And thanks for the praise about the timeline itself! We're still caught up in the war, but once the dust settles and if Weber gets what he wants, prepare for the animal analogies to come into full force. As for the fall of the Greater German Reich? All I can say for now is that it will be spectacular. :eek: :cool:

That's really brightened my day you know, thanks. :eek:

It's just that I wanted to let you know I was enjoying things but didn't really have any quibbles with what's been posted, I did have a question on Norway but that was subsequently answered and I try to refrain from just posting 'Great Stuff' when I can, hence the randomness of the subject matter. :p

Stalin commands Weber dance, or else that offensive plans controversy might not be just a conspiracy theory ITTL...

Ah but the only reasonable explanation for the inventor of time travel to be such a dunce is that time is deliberately turning his brain into cabbage, like in 11/22/3. Whilst I'm sure there were many brave men involved, Alan Moore categorically exposed the Time Police as a hopeless organisation who in attempting to prevent the would-be Hitler shooters accidentally saved Britain from the brutal tyranny of the SDP-Liberal Alliance by becoming each others step-fathers. Considering the way they act I wouldn't be surprised if Driscoll was running the whole operation!

Well, the icon of grimdarkness, anyway. ;) And thanks for the tacit praise! Good to know I'm in the good books of the Master of Decisive Darkness...wait, is that a good thing in that case? :p

But seriously, thank you! :D Any grimdarkness in this timeline will be purely a product of the fact that it deals with a Reich surviving beyond 1945. The world that emerges from this will be battered, bruised and bear the scars of this war forevermore...but maybe will be a little stronger for it, and maybe less fractured than our world for it. (oo-er, foreshadowing!) :)

Stalin vs. Martians? I think his strategy will consist of the one tactic. :(

Finally, I said Driscoll in TTL's ASB side was the first to abuse time travel, not necessarily use it. For every wonderful innovation propelling the development of humankind, there's always some wanker who spoils it for everyone. ;)

There is a way to preserve causality principle with time travel and it is based on the many worlds interpretation.

In simple terms, you go back and kill your grandfather. Exactly at the moment of the killing, there is a branching in the timelines:

1. one is the timeline in which you did not go back in time, the guy lives and eventually you are born;
  2. the other is the one in which you go back and kill somebody who is not your grandfather (obvious, he dies without sons).
The two timelines are unified until the event, diverging afterwards.

In our case, we are following the timeline in which Driscoll went back and killed Hitler which is different and exists together with the timeline in which Hitler goes on with his rampage.

That's been the way I've looked at any different timeline on the Forum. The cause of the split is immaterial, the branching lines simply continue alongside.

If someone is foolish enough to be using a time machine to change things, the Time Police step in, confiscate the device in question, and the disruption is generally downplayed to fit in with existing circumstances. They'd also seal off the new timeline from any further interference.
Meanwhile the offending time-traveler is, at the very least, prevented from doing any further damage anywhen else.:eek:
I hope that minimizes any further worries about ASBs and the like. The Time Police are extraordinarily efficient.:cool:

So long as its on topic again- I think the ASB Paul Driscoll stuff distracts from an otherwise-plausible timeline. It gives the whole PoD an air of ridiculous campiness.

At least it isn't drowning in GoT references like half the timelines in Pre-1900.

Good bunch of updates (now that I've caught up).

So long as its on topic again- I think the ASB Paul Driscoll stuff distracts from an otherwise-plausible timeline. It gives the whole PoD an air of ridiculous campiness.

At least it isn't drowning in GoT references like half the timelines in Pre-1900.

Good bunch of updates (now that I've caught up).

Well, every time I try to get out, they drag me back in. :p It just somehow gravitates back to that in between updates of actual content. I figure while people are dwelling on it, I might as well humour it. :)

Anyway, thanks! :D I'll just be wrapping up the Spring War, and Weber can get back to his usual over-eye-wool-pulling again...

4.5.3 The Fall of France
Well, I can't pad this one out any further, so I'll have to update at the bottom of the page. Serves me right. :p

rorschach.jpg
[Rorschach]
=======

THE BATTLE OF FRANCE

The breakthrough at Sedan was bad news for the Allies, but utterly dire for the trapped BEF, as the Heer now had the opportunity to completely cut off the Allied reserve from the forces in northern Belgium. An intense debate erupted in Parliament over the next course of action. One camp, led by Horace Wilson, believed that the cause was lost and that the only way to save the BEF was to call for a ceasefire with Germany and thus pull out of France entirely, while the other, led by now War Minister Winston Churchill, claimed that it was still possible to extract the BEF from Dunkirk before the Wehrmacht caught up with them. The proposed Operation Dynamo was a singularly daring one, requiring mobilisation of even civilian merchant vessels while other Allied forces held the Germans back. Halifax considered both proposals; although he, like Wilson, was inclined to the opinion that the BEF was almost impossible to retrieve without a ceasefire, negotiating a separate peace with Germany would be tantamount to betraying the French, even though the BEF had lost all capability for land operations. Furthermore, with the Italian entry into the war, there were no neutral parties left to arbitrate a ceasefire. The second point meant that seeking a ceasefire from Germany now would be further interpreted as unilateral capitulation [1].

Based on these points, Halifax approved plans for evacuation proposed by Churchill. For Churchill to publicly advocate such a risky operation was a massive gamble, as the disaster at Gallipoli in the Great War had led to his downfall then. Nonetheless, he pressed on, and a veritable fleet of varied vessels was assembled to extract the trapped soldiers. Unfortunately, the delays caused by the confused strategic situation meant that the German supply wagon had caught up with their armoured divisions, and the Panzers could press straight on to the coast – which they did, commanded by General Georg von Küchler. Küchler was ordered to encircle the British before they could evacuate and thus knock the British out of the Battle of France for good. Göring informed Weber that it was a surety that the BEF would be captured or destroyed, as the Luftwaffe could render the harbours useless and dominate the beaches [2].

The battle that ensued on the shores of Dunkirk to evacuate the BEF, as well as accompanied Allied troops, has been described as “The Longest Day” – and it was certainly a titanic effort on the part of the British, who assembled a massive armada of varied naval ships, sloops, trawlers, tugboats and even river vessels – these irregular vessels being termed “The Little Ships of Dunkirk” – and scrambled them to the shores of France, even as the Royal Air Force struggled with the Luftwaffe in the skies above the main city, further from the beaches. The Wehrmacht assault was relentless, tearing through the defensive lines the Allies had set up at Lille between the German pocket and Dunkirk, although not before the British had time to evacuate between the night of the 20th and the full day of the 21st. However, by the 22nd of May, time had run out for the British, and Panzer divisions thundered through the city of Dunkirk, heading straight for the beaches. Through the tireless efforts of the Royal Navy (along with the “Little Ships”) and the RAF, a grand total of about 70,000 British soldiers were evacuated (40,000 on the last day, before the German breakthrough), along with about 20,000 Allied troops. The Royal Navy, beyond transporting evacuees, was tasked with defending the transport vessels from relentless assaults by the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine [3].

wao4J74.png

Figure 22: The Evacuation of Dunkirk by Charles Ernest Cundall, painted 1940 [4].

Of the entire BEF deployed in the defence of France, 340,000 troops, along with an incredible amount of materiel, had fallen into German hands. The reaction of the British press to the evacuation was ambivalent, with some terming it the “Miracle of Dunkirk” – a miracle that even this number had been rescued – while others equally interpreted it as the “Disaster at Dunkirk”, given that the vast majority of the BEF was stranded in France. Halifax thus gave a grave and factual speech on the evening of the 22nd to a rapt audience all over Britain – and indeed, the free world, as President Franklin Delano Roosevelt of the United States of America was also deeply concerned by the European situation.

Halifax announced from the BBC Broadcasting House that, “Upon the recommendation of War Minister Churchill, I approved ‘Operation Dynamo’ – the evacuation of our troops from France, such that we may rearm and regroup against the advancing German forces. As of two days ago the port of Dunkirk had not yet fallen into German hands, and it was there where we chose to execute this rescue. It was estimated that about forty thousand of our troops might be rescued."

"I can now announce that locked in titanic struggle with the enemy in the seas near Dunkirk and the skies over France, the Royal Air Force, so maligned by the army, along with the Royal Navy, aided by the valiant contribution of the numerous merchant vessels used for the operation, have permitted the rescue of seventy thousand of our servicemen, exceeding our estimates by nearly one-fold. However, this is no valiant victory, nor epic triumph. For, of the four hundred thousand we had deployed, only these seventy thousand have returned – to speak nothing of the situation in France itself,” Halifax continued, explaining the three major breakthroughs along the Escaut, through the Ardennes and at Nice.

“We have entered a desperate new phase of the war. If the German horde is dissatisfied with their gains in continental Europe, won through trickery and brute force, it will soon be my solemn duty to call for the defence of our own shores against the forces that threaten to overwhelm our island. However, in that task we must remember that this nation has repelled foreign invasion for nigh a thousand years – whether be it in the form of the Spanish Armada, so driven from our shores, or in the fleet Napoleon assembled, so defeated at Trafalgar, both equally foiled by the brilliance and distinction of the defenders of our great nation. We must hope that it shall be many thousands years more before we ever capitulate. Victory against these invaders can only be won through the sacrifice of our blood, our sweat, and if necessary, our own lives. And should we expend all these, and should it still prove insufficient, then let the defence of our island against these forces of tyranny and oppression be known as the finest moments in the history of this nation, and of the British Empire, forevermore.” [5]

The mention of Churchill in the explanation of Dynamo had been agreed upon following discussion between Halifax and Churchill, where Churchill would accept full responsibility for Dunkirk, and quietly be reassigned to another post in the War Office should Parliament turn against him as it had following Gallipoli, to preserve continuity in leadership at this turning point [6]. The Punch cartoon of the 23rd depicts a submerged Churchill, reaching for air, chained by his ankles to two massive anchors, labelled GALLIPOLI 1915 and DUNKIRK 1940 [7]. Nonetheless, Churchill was able to survive a vote of confidence, eventually rising to Prime Minister following Halifax’s premiership.

wqSUUUR.png

Figure 23: Winston Churchill, Minister of War (left) and the Viscount Halifax (right), Prime Minister of Great Britain, following the “Dunkirk Address”.

Halifax’s statements regarding the French strategic situation were essentially accurate – the stalemate at the Ardennes had ended, and the Wehrmacht was now steadily advancing on Paris, consolidating around Creil and Meaux. Gamelin’s replacement, General Maxime Weygand, failed to make effective counterattacks into the German pocket, eventually withdrawing to defensive lines around Paris. Every day the conflict ground on was an advantage to the Germans as their supply train caught up with them. By the 28th of May, the relentless bombardment of Paris and its greater metropolitan area by the Luftwaffe was supplemented by long-range artillery.

The Luftwaffe would occasionally fly sorties dropping propaganda leaflets, warning of future bombardments and stating that “This destructive conflict need not continue. The sooner this war ends the better for all.” It is said that the majority of these leaflets were converted to pulp, scrap and toilet paper by the Parisians remaining in the city [8]. Nonetheless, the majority of citizens in Northern France began a massive westwards and southwards flight away from German forces, causing congestions all over French traffic networks. Worse yet, the Italian pocket, now well-supplied by the Regia Marina, was steadily (albeit very slowly) expanding, and the Regia Aeronautica was commencing operations against Malta in preparation for a strike against French North Africa [9].

When it became clear that an offensive against Paris was soon to occur, which would result in a bloody and protracted struggle where any outcome would come at an incredibly high price consisting of French blood and land, Prime Minister Paul Reynaud ordered an evacuation of the French government, and preparations for an extensive siege and even guerrilla campaign, should the Wehrmacht overwhelm continental France. The German Foreign Minister, Konstantin von Neurath, began to send telegraph messages to the French government, indicating the German government “did not wish to achieve the destruction of France”, instead being agreeable to “the end of this conflict which the great powers of Europe have been drawn into through no wish of their own”, and above all, “avoidance of the trenches once again”.

Even as the missive was received, plans were being drawn up for Operation Ariel, the evacuation of Allied forces through the west coast, and when prompted for his opinion, Weygand stated that “asking for a strategy now is akin to attempting to fix a lock upon a broken door”. When the new War Minister, Marshal Philippe Pétain, concurred, Reynaud resigned in favour of Pétain, saying that “May God give you the grace to save our nation on paper; I have already tried to do so on the battlefield, to absolutely no avail.”

GpMIDSU.png

Figure 24: Marshal Philippe Pétain, Prime Minister of the Third French Republic following Paul Reynaud’s resignation and signatory of the Treaty of Gutenberg.

Weygand was quickly driven to Compiegne under armed guard, where he agreed to a ceasefire with German forces, preceding full negotiations elsewhere. Olry and the Army of the Alps were similarly ordered to cease operations. Pétain contacted Halifax, informing him of the decision to begin negotiations, and Halifax responded by asking Chamberlain, who had been reassigned as Foreign Secretary, to request a similar ceasefire. These were agreed to by Neurath and Count Galeazzo Ciano, the Italian Foreign Minister, and it was announced that negotiations were to begin immediately in Gutenberg Castle, situated in neutral Liechtenstein [10]. When Chamberlain informed Halifax of the impending negotiations, Halifax then said to him, “I have now become the modern Atlas, bearing the fate of Europe upon my shoulders. I share some of the feeling you too bore; let us hope that we may bring about a stronger peace than that which was made at Munich.”

[1] It's commonly held that if Halifax was PM, he would advocate a ceasefire, like he did in OTL as Foreign Minister. Here, the situation is slightly different, furthermore, as Foreign Minister, he could advocate such a stand, but representing the British in the struggle, it's somewhat plausible that Halifax is more concerned about possibly projecting an image of abandoning the French.
[2] Unlike OTL, there is no Halt Order controversy, as the supply lines have caught up and Weber wants as many hostages...I mean POWs...as he can get, so he can use them as a bargaining chip.
[3] About that many were rescued on the first three days of OTL Dunkirk, although to be frank I just switched the numbers around. ;)
[4] Apparently I'm supposed to attribute the source of this painting if I use it, so here you go. :)
[5] It's not quite "We shall fight on the beaches...", but then again, Halifax is not quite Churchill either. :p
[6] Churchill here is doing the Batman in The Dark Knight thing - as Minister of War, he can take it, but Britain going through 3 PMs in a week would be a major disruption to the leadership just when it really isn't needed. I'm aware Churchill and Halifax were hardly friends, but this is a pragmatically calculated political move by both, not an act of particular friendship or anything. (Oh god, now I'm imagining Halifax and Churchill as two halves of a tsundere thing. Don't judge me!!)

[7] I do like my political cartoons, don't I? :p
[8] I'm pretty sure I lifted this off some other similar anecdote somewhere else, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
[9] As in OTL, although earlier.
[10] Liechtenstein can into relevance?? :eek:

=======
Next update: [OPEN ALLEGIANCE MESH] (Warning: Problem Sleuth. I bear no responsibility for hours of your lives lost due to this.)

Index has been updated! :D

Last edited:
So Pétain does as OTL and Britain is asking for a ceasefire.

What about the governments-in-exile (Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands) and de Gaulle? And are the various far-right movements (Rexists e al.) ready to collaborate?