Weber's Germany: The Veterinarian Totalitarian

I mean, this seems like a better all-around result for humanity than OTL. The soviets never reaching the heights of power they did OTL and having to clean up the anarchy which the 'Muscovite republic' became instead of trying to quickly catch up with the USA; the Baltic states are free much earlier as something of a consequence of that as well. France did not suffer from nazi occupation and looting and Britain didn't spend absolutely all of it's resources on defeating the nazi menace. Southern Europe is an alliance of independent states rather than largely soviet puppets (although other than irony in regards to OTL, why that alliance is called the Warsaw Pact I do not understand - Poland is a protectorate, not a prime member).

I'm just trying to figure out what that Warsaw Pact is supposed to be. A genuine non-aligned movement? A collection of non-Nazi right-wing states? The clusterfuck of ethnic tensions that Weber turned Eastern Europe into does not indicate much good.

Anyway, sad to see this TL go.

I mean, this seems like a better all-around result for humanity than OTL. The soviets never reaching the heights of power they did OTL and having to clean up the anarchy which the 'Muscovite republic' became instead of trying to quickly catch up with the USA; the Baltic states are free much earlier as something of a consequence of that as well. France did not suffer from nazi occupation and looting and Britain didn't spend absolutely all of it's resources on defeating the nazi menace. Southern Europe is an alliance of independent states rather than largely soviet puppets (although other than irony in regards to OTL, why that alliance is called the Warsaw Pact I do not understand - Poland is a protectorate, not a prime member).

I'm just trying to figure out what that Warsaw Pact is supposed to be. A genuine non-aligned movement? A collection of non-Nazi right-wing states? The clusterfuck of ethnic tensions that Weber turned Eastern Europe into does not indicate much good.

Indeed. While the Soviets don’t get to be masters of Eastern Europe, you’re left with fascism (or some form of it) as a viable ideology that controls half the continent.

And that’s on top of Weber dialing up the ethnic tensions to eleven.

Merry Christmas to one and all, thought I might as well offer up some explanations here.

What's with the random small independent mecklenburg?
Mecklenburg, despite being surrounded on three sides by Prussia has historically never been part of it, and I couldn't decide on whether NATO would've made it a pseudo-autonomous territory in the post-Reich Prussian Free State or an exclave of the German Federation just to give them more headaches.

I kind of had assumed that Prussia would have owned actual Prussia here instead of Poland owning it.
It was one of the conditions of peace between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, and also intended like OTL as a simultaneous punishment for Germany and compensation for Poland losing its eastern territories to Lithuania the Polish SSR.

The "Warsaw Pact" is the bolded answer, with Italy taking over as prime mover; basically once things started falling apart they did a 180 on Poland, recognising its sovereignty and appealing to NATO to back their claims up at practically whatever terms the WAllies demanded, just as long as they avoided treatment as defeated parties by either them or the Soviets. The reconstructed Polish state is a massive clusterfuck of ethnic tensions and clashes, but at least it's independent...right?

counterpoint: Millions more people are dead.

Indeed. While the Soviets don’t get to be masters of Eastern Europe, you’re left with fascism (or some form of it) as a viable ideology that controls half the continent.

And that’s on top of Weber dialing up the ethnic tensions to eleven.

One of the major themes of this was that the end result of a more drawn-out but less intense World War Two means that the old Western world order would've been less exhausted and would've allowed for things like smoother decolonisation and fewer (or more geographically limited) repressions at the hands of communism...it just so happens that the "price" is decades more of Nazism and fascism, and the corresponding blood of millions.

Have some bonus flags, too! It's a Christmas miracle, everyone!

Flag of the People's Republic of China (Manchuria).png
Chinese People's Republic - Manchuria

Flag of Japanese People's Republic of Hokkaido.png
Japanese People's Republic - Hokkaido

Flag of People's Republic of Korea.png
Korean People's Republic - entire peninsula

Last edited:
Tom Colton said:
Finland is the only Nordic country in the Eurozone. Not a single Scandinavian country is. If you meant the European Unoin, Norway is only not in it because the French vetoed them from getting in as de Gaulle claimed they were American spies/agents. Norway eventually no longer wanted in, but are already in it most ways, due to being member of preceding organizations, as well as paying more to the EU than it would if it was a member. They and Iceland are very reliant upon stable fishing and would rather not have people emptying the North Sea.

On a side note, do you wish to be told when you make mistakes in earlier posts? Meaning actual mistakes, as I found a part where you put Rome instead of Romania when talking about Italian goals and wanting to having them moved down to a client state instead of being an equal partner. And I am loving once more seeing how Croatia and Bosnia-Herzovigina is made a mere Grand Duchy, after centuries of being given the title of at least one Kingdom. Heck, half surprised they didn't make it the Kingdom of Illriya or something. Ahh, such fun. And please note the above quote (about Norway) doesn't link to a post as it kept breaking for some reason.

Last edited:
And I have no read to the end. I don't suppose people have made some world maps for this before or perhaps Munroified them? Some of the source material for maps here changes around a bit (due to it having hardly been Tom's priority to make exact changes to periphery areas on maps using multiple projections and color schemes) or in the case of China doesn't give many details, but... Ahhh, what a story. Reminds me of how I was reading The Anglo-American/Nazi War on a PDF recently and it had one of those maps you would see in the Map Thread seven threads back. They really drive home how despite the maps being a favorite for many on here, myself included, the timelines knocks things out of the park, and even stuff from a decade back blows our minds.

Ahh, and @Tom Colton, is the Polish SSR shown on the map on this page partially to punish the Belarusian state the Germans set up? And if you do update one of those maps someday (frankly, I think it wonderful you are posting the unupdated things as a time capsule and should perhaps at it to the sticker tmeline) you mustn't forget Narvik. And I still have no idea why you claimed Norway would be a pariah state, even if your later mention of Narvik being a pariah within a state made sense. And how long ago did you make those maps? If you had a date on them in your hard drive telling when they were made. Just curious, as I figured Italy might have unholsted from Germany in time to keep some of its drains in Dalmatia. I am also unsure why you gave mention in the story as to Italy having reached the Rhone.

Also, congratulations. With this timeline you effectively made a modern Napoleonic Wars, with multiple phases and coalitions. Well, maybe not coalitions, but phases at the least.