The next generation draft,
Draft of the next generation of Burgundy: (Please help with marriages here XD)
Margaret of Burgundy 1487 - 1526 m. Christian II of Denmark 1481 - 1559 [1513 - 1523] {1502 - 1526}

Dorothea of Denmark 1518 - 1580 m. Otto Henry, Elector Palatine 1502 - 1559 [1556 - 1559] {1536 - 1559}​

Christina of Denmark 1520 - 1588 m. Sigismund II Augustus of Poland and Lithuania 1520 - 1572 [1548 - 1572] {1538 - 1572}​

Henri I the Fortunate of Burgundy 1489 - 1540 [1517 - 1540] m. Maria of Julich-Berg 1491 - 1543 {1509 - 1540}

Philip V the Wise of Burgundy 1506 - 1556 [1540 - 1556] m. Isabella the Kind of Portugal 1503 - 1571 {1518 - 1556}​

Maria of Burgundy 1521 - 1600 needs marriage​

Beatriz of Burgundy 1535 - 1605 needs marriage​

Sibylle of Burgundy 1512 - 1554 m. John Frederick of Saxony 1503 - 1554 {1527 - 1554} (questionable)​

William I the Old of Burgundy, Duke of Milan 1516 - 1592 [1535] [1556 - 15572] m. Margaret of Valois 1523 - 1574 {1555 - 1572} (questionable)​

Saint Charles the Reformer II of Burgundy 1556 - 1631 needs marriage​
Amelia of Burgundy 1560 - 1645 needs marriage​
Emma of Burgundy 1563 - 1649 needs marriage​

Anne of Burgundy 1515 - 1557 m. Emmanuel Philibert the Ironhead of Savoy 1528 - 1580 [1553 - 1580] {1539 - 1557} (questionable)​
Emma the Fair of Burgundy 1517 - 1586 [1556]​
Arthur, Prince of Wales 1488 - 1502 betrothed to: Katherine of Aragon 1486 - 1540 {1501 - 1502}​
Margaret of England 1489 - 1541 m. Francis de Bourbon, stadholder of Boulogne, Artois and Picardy 1491 - 1545 {1506 - 1541}​
Richard IV of England 1491 - 1555 [1522 - 1555] m. Katherine of Aragon 1486 - 1540 {1503 - 1540}​
Anne of England 1516 - 1557 needs marriage​
Elizabeth I of England 1533 - 1603 needs marriage or not who knows​
Edward VI of England 1537 - 1600 needs marriage​
Albert III of Austria, Duke of Milan, King of Bohemia and Hungary, Holy Roman Emperor (disp. w John Zapolya for Hungary from 1526 - 1540) 1491 - 1541 [1519 - 1541] m. Eleanor of Spain 1498 - 1553 {1508 - 1541}
Maximilian II of Austria, Duke of Milan, King of Bohemia and Hungary, Holy Roman Emperor (Hungary was majority occupied by the ottomans) 1520 - 1591 [1541 - 1596] m. Barbara of Brandenburg 1527 - 1595 {1537 - 1595}​
Isabella of Austria 1521 - 1595 needs marriage​
Anne of Austria 1535 - 1573 needs marriage​
Anne of Austria 1492 - 1535 {1508 - 1535} m. Charles I of Spain 1498 - 1555 [1498 - 1555]
John I of Spain 1519 - 1598 [1555 - 1598] m. Maria Manuela of Portugal 1525 - 1603 {1535 - 1598}​
Can convince to add more sons and daughters maybe​
Eleanor of Austria 1495 - 1553 {1520 - 1550} m. William IV of Bavaria 1493 - 1550 [1508 - 1550]
Albert V of Bavaria 1528 - 1579 needs marriage​

Mechthild of Bavaria 1532 - 1565 {1557 - 1565} m. Philibert of Baden 1536 - 1569​
Frederick of Austria, count of Chur, 1496 - 1549 [1521 - 1549] m. Elizabeth Corvinus 1496 - 1537 {1511 - 1537}
Charles of Chur 1515 - 1565 [1549 - 1565] need marriage​
Maybe extra daughters or sons I can be convinced​
Elizabeth of Austria, 1500 - 1546 {1520 - 1535} m. Francesco II Sforza of Milan 1495 - 1535 [1521 - 1535]

Last edited:
SAINT CHARLES?! WHOA! What did that LEGEND do?!

And btw charles son John would be John III of spain. And suggestion he has a second son Ferdinand to get Naples as Ferdinand IV. Another son Alfonso aa Duke of cádiz and maybe 2 daughters Isabel and Catherine

I may or may not have lost my draft for this chapter LOL and there's a new source I get for the Italian wars...... I might spend the next couple of months reading and rewriting who knows (I am so sorry for the long ass delay school sucks so much)

I may or may not have lost my draft for this chapter LOL and there's a new source I get for the Italian wars...... I might spend the next couple of months reading and rewriting who knows (I am so sorry for the long ass delay school sucks so much)
Take your time, this story is amazing! Go burgundy and spain in the italian wars

Chapter 29: The imperial double edged sword 1538 - 1540
To say the war of Milanese Succession shifted the balance of power would be an understatement. The unstable triumvirate between Burgundy, Austria and the Protestants collapsed suddenly with the war of Milanese Succession. Burgundy was relegated to a regional power with an imperial title made of paper once again with the indecisive battles against both the Austrians and the protestants and the complete loss of Milan, and Savoy and by extension Italian influence. It would be Philip, the future Philip V the Wise of Burgundy who would bring back and it would be through diplomacy and another war of succession this time, in Hungary. The papacy, Spain were very eager to restore Burgundy's status within the Holy Roman Empire as the Habsburg domain of Austria, Bohemia and royal Hungary was now incredibly powerful and should the Habsburgs continue to align with the protestants Catholicism as they know it would be doomed. France at this point under the leadership of Francis I would develop the treaty signed at Nice would begin to engage in dialogue and a potential Franco-Burgundian Alliance. The Spanish led by Charles I of Spain would also begin seeing the Habsburgs as rivals to importantly their papal dominance as the inclusion of Milan now gave Austria far greater resources for the papacy. Charles I saw Albert III as obstructing if not outright sabotaging against the counter reformation and began to back Burgundy's attempt at the imperial throne and attempts on the imperial diet. Finally Henri's first cousin: Richard IV who already wrote his own rebuttals to much greater success against the protestants would back Philip's attempt in the throne.

This alignment of a vague anti-Habsburg coalition would be immediately noticed by Albert III, who already was wary of the power of the protestant league or the Schmalkaldic League who already gained the allegiance of the elector of Saxony and began to push for a protestant imperial candidate and the further weakening of the imperial throne. The reformist and decentralizing elements of the empire would rally behind the protestants. Albert needed a way to increase his own strength, weaken the imperial elements rallying around the Duke Palatine of Burgundy, and importantly remove any reliance on the protestants for his power as now he was further isolated from the rest of Catholic Europe. This opportunity would present itself with the death of John Zapolya. The Magnate's king of Hungary or as pro-Habsburg nobles called him: The Turkish king of Hungary. John Zapolya was the ruler of the majority of Hungary backed by both the Polish and Ottoman Turks to counter the imperial or Habsburg influence. However, the secret treaty of Nagyarad would present Albert III, a strong opportunity to reclaim the entirety of the Kingdom of Hungary, as it was agreed that Albert would inherit the kingdom after John unconditionally, in exchange for him being acknowledged as the ruler of the rest of Hungary.

John Zapolya's death and his infant son, John Sigismund Zapolya along with his mother, Isabella of Poland were in grave danger. Albert III was now quite eager to reclaim Hungary and pressed both his claim through Royal Hungary and the treaty of Nagvarad. The nobility mostly rallied around Albert III, who began to launch a campaign of reconquest for his kingdom, however Isabella of Poland called upon her protector, the ottoman turks. This would give Albert the time to call for a crusade, with the pope under his thumb a crusade was called against the Turks. The Spanish who were eager to expand their interests in North Africa and saw this as an opportunity to strengthen their grip over Naples eagerly joined in the crusade. The French, English and Burgundians were less eager to join in. Burgundy who has always flirted with the opportunity to go crusading ever since the time of John the Fearless was against the crusade entirely seeing it as expanding Habsburg power and not focusing on their true enemy: the Protestants. France themselves were more open to a weakening of the empire and would refuse to participate as well. England on the other hand would only send a token force and some money.

The remaining Italian states would begin to finance this crusade but especially the Venetians who were constantly on the backfoot of Ottoman expansion would send military force to reinforce their Dalmatian and Mediterranean holdings. The Habsburgs however, began to place pressure on the two remaining Catholic powers that were unwilling to send forces to aid their crusade: Burgundy and France. Albert III would pull off his most brilliant form of imperial and papal maneuvering yet to ensure a complete unification of Catholic Europe against the Ottoman Turks. He ensured that his domains were under attack allowing the turks to siege Vienna thereby triggering the Emperor to join the war against the turks. Albert also used his influence on the papacy to threat Henry with excommunication should he not participate. The papacy which also backed this plan would be the last straw that would trigger Burgundy to fully join the crusade against the Ottoman Turks. The Burgundians now folded, France who was under immense pressure agreed to join in as well but much like England would send a token force.

The accord of Ravenna, signed between Habsburg Austria, Spain, the Papacy, Burgundy, France, England and importantly Poland. Isabella of Poland who was the daughter of Sigismund the Old tried their very best to convince her Jagellion family to help her and her son keep her now dead husband's kingdom but the marriage between Sigismund II of Poland and Christina of Denmark, Henri's niece would prove too powerful of an incentive to join in especially with the rest of Catholic Europe joining in against the Ottoman Turks. Even worse for the situation for Zapolya was the betrayal of the Hungarian Magnates who saw Albert III as the rightful ruler of Hungary whether it was due to naivety, fear of the Turks, or just a belief they would be better off under the Habsburgs. Isabella of Poland was isolated with only the heathen Turks as her ally. This complete diplomatic isolation along with the civil strife now exploding in Eastern Hungarian Kingdom would force Isabella to call upon her saving grace the Turks led by the brilliant Suleiman the Lawgiver.

The partition of the Eastern Hungarian Kingdom into Ottoman Hungary and the Principality of Transylvania would be the death knell for any legitimacy given the John II of Hungary or John Sigismund Zápolya. Burgundy's armies would arrive in Vienna within the following months. Albert III would embrace Henri as the most pious of emperors. The Burgundian armies numbered 20000 were joined up the other crusaders who numbered a total of 52000 men. They would march to Buda to siege it. The Austrian field Marshall and overall commander was Wihelm von Roggendorf but Henri himself was in the field as commander of the Burgundian contingent. This would lead to overall anger between the two men as they would verbally quarrel over what tactics and route they would do to get there. However, they would arrive outside the city of Buda within the spring of 1541. The quarrelling would result in a poorly run siege and the attacks on the city would cause staggering casualties to the combined crusader army.

It would be this chaos and messy crusade that would melt immediately from the disciplined and fearsome Ottoman relief army led by the legendary Suleiman the Lawgiver. Sulieman's forces would reach the crusaders on August 21st 1541, immediately attacking and shattering the now tired and exhausted crusader army. Henri the fortunate would fight fiercely in the melee along with the Austrian commander, Wilhelm von Roggendorf. Henri would rally his Burgundian contingent but at this point it was at half strength in numbers and has lost most of its firepower but the last stand of the Burgundians would be remembered as they fought fiercely to keep the Turks at bay while the rest of the crusaders fled across the river. The Janissaries would fight tooth and nail against the hardened Burgundian phalange. A new formation created by Henri's son Philip the Wise who replicated and merged the success of the Tercio formation and the famed Burgundian pikes. It would not be enough however, with Ottoman cannon firing at the river and the sudden killing of Henri from a lucky musket shot from a Janissary. The Burgundian phalange would finally shatter and flee across the river only to be slaughtered with gun and cannon fire.

The Austrian field commander would fare no better as Wilhelm would die of his wounds two days later and the crusader army retreated back into Royal Hungary within the winter. This however would not be the end of the crusade as it would soon regroup this time led by the emperor himself Albert III who marched and laid siege to Pest the following year which would again lead to another failure. The crusading momentum died down shortly afterwards, with Philip V assuming the throne as Duke Palatine Philip of Burgundy. Albert III would finally be elected as Holy Roman Emperor due to his own backdoor agreements with the protestant elector of Saxony. This would infuriate Philip V who has watched from the sidelines with his wife Isabella of Portugal watching the realm prosper in every way seeing the emperorship doom Burgundy immediately and so would a new era of Burgundy begin shifting away from the Holy Roman Centric policy that the previous four dukes pushed and instead began to look back inwards and outwards. Burgundy's golden age was over with the death of Henri the Fortunate however the imperial drive and grace that it had during this time would be concentrated inwards focused not on military success but on what were the early Burgundian keys to power: Diplomacy.

Last edited:
I'M BACKKKKKKK (No I'm not that's a goddamn lie)
As previously hinted at I will be rewriting the Italian wars portion of this TL whenever school doesn't kill me anymore. So for now that is where I will leave this TL with the death of Henri the Fortunate and the ascension of Philip the Wise of Burgundy.

I'M BACKKKKKKK (No I'm not that's a goddamn lie)
As previously hinted at I will be rewriting the Italian wars portion of this TL whenever school doesn't kill me anymore. So for now that is where I will leave this TL with the death of Henri the Fortunate and the ascension of Philip the Wise of Burgundy.
Amazing work! The wait was worth it!

DAMN THE TURKS! Hope that Albert can recover from this

To say the war of Milanese Succession shifted the balance of power would be an understatement. The unstable triumvirate between Burgundy, Austria and the Protestants collapsed suddenly with the war of Milanese Succession. Burgundy was relegated to a regional power once again with the indecisive battles against both the emperor and the protestants and the complete loss of Milan, and Savoy and by extension Italian influence. It would be Philip, the future Philip V the Wise of Burgundy who would bring back and it would be through diplomacy and another war of succession this time, in Hungary. The papacy, Spain and France were all eager to restore the triumvirate within the Holy Roman Empire as the Habsburg domain of Austria, Bohemia and royal Hungary was now incredibly powerful with the augmentation and addition of Milan. France at this point under the leadership of Francis I would develop the treaty signed at Nice would begin to engage in dialogue and a potential Franco-Burgundian Alliance. The Spanish led by Charles I of Spain would also begin seeing the Habsburgs as rivals to importantly their papal dominance. Charles I saw Albert III as ineffective and too soft on the protestant reformation and began to back Burgundy's attempt at the imperial throne. Finally Henri's first cousin: Richard IV would back Henri's attempt in the throne.

This alignment of a vague anti-Habsburg coalition would be immediately noticed by Albert III, who already was wary of the power of the protestant league or the Schmalkaldic League who already gained the allegiance of the elector of Saxony and began to push for a protestant imperial candidate and the further weakening of the imperial throne. The reformist and decentralizing elements of the empire would rally behind the protestants. Albert needed a way to increase his own strength, weaken the imperial elements rallying around the Duke Palatine of Burgundy, and importantly remove any reliance on the protestants for his power as now he was further isolated from the rest of Catholic Europe. This opportunity would present itself with the death of John Zapolya. The Magnate's king of Hungary or as pro-Habsburg nobles called him: The Turkish king of Hungary. John Zapolya was the ruler of the majority of Hungary backed by both the Polish and Ottoman Turks to counter the imperial or Habsburg influence. However, the secret treaty of Nagyarad would present Albert III, a strong opportunity to reclaim the entirety of the Kingdom of Hungary, as it was agreed that Albert would inherit the kingdom after John unconditionally, in exchange for him being acknowledged as the ruler of the rest of Hungary.

John Zapolya's death and his infant son, John Sigismund Zapolya along with his mother, Isabella of Poland were in grave danger. Albert III was now quite eager to reclaim Hungary and pressed both his claim through Royal Hungary and the treaty of Nagvarad. The nobility mostly rallied around Albert III, who began to launch a campaign of reconquest for his kingdom, however Isabella of Poland called upon her protector, the ottoman turks. This would give Albert the time to call for a crusade, with the pope under his thumb a crusade was called against the Turks. The Spanish who were eager to expand their interests in North Africa and saw this as an opportunity to strengthen their grip over Naples eagerly joined in the crusade. The French, English and Burgundians were less eager to join in. Burgundy who has always flirted with the opportunity to go crusading ever since the time of John the Fearless was against the crusade entirely seeing it as expanding Habsburg power and not focusing on their true enemy: the Protestants. France themselves were more open to a weakening of the empire and would refuse to participate as well. England on the other hand would only send a token force and some money.

The remaining Italian states would begin to finance this crusade but especially the Venetians who were constantly on the backfoot of Ottoman expansion would send military force to reinforce their Dalmatian and Mediterranean holdings. The Habsburgs however, began to place pressure on the two remaining Catholic powers that were unwilling to send forces to aid their crusade: Burgundy and France. Albert III would pull off his most brilliant form of imperial maneuvering yet to ensure a complete unification of Catholic Europe against the Ottoman Turks. He would offer Henri the one thing that would solidify his domains, a crown. Albert offered to elevate the duchy of Lotharingia now Lothier into the Kingdom of Lotharingia in exchange for participating in this crusade. This new kingdom would contain all of Henri's holdings baring the Duchy Palatine of Burgundy, County Palatine of Burgundy and the county of Transjurania. This prospect was quite appealing to both Henri and the Burgundian court as the last thing needed to fully solidify their state was a crown something that was pursued by Henri's grandfather: Charles the Absolute. The papacy which also backed this plan would be the last straw that would trigger Burgundy to fully join the crusade against the Ottoman Turks. The Burgundians now folded, France who was under immense pressure agreed to join in as well but much like England would send a token force.

The accord of Ravenna, signed between Habsburg Austria, Spain, the Papacy, Burgundy, France, England and importantly Poland. Isabella of Poland who was the daughter of Sigismund the Old tried their very best to convince her Jagellion family to help her and her son keep her now dead husband's kingdom but the marriage between Sigismund II of Poland and Christina of Denmark, Henri's niece would prove too powerful of an incentive to join in especially with the rest of Catholic Europe joining in against the Ottoman Turks. Even worse for the situation for Zapolya was the betrayal of the Hungarian Magnates who saw Albert III as the rightful ruler of Hungary whether it was due to naivety, fear of the Turks, or just a belief they would be better off under the Habsburgs. Isabella of Poland was isolated with only the heathen Turks as her ally. This complete diplomatic isolation along with the civil strife now exploding in Eastern Hungarian Kingdom would force Isabella to call upon her saving grace the Turks led by the brilliant Suleiman the Lawgiver.

The partition of the Eastern Hungarian Kingdom into Ottoman Hungary and the Principality of Transylvania would be the death knell for any legitimacy given the John II of Hungary or John Sigismund Zápolya. Burgundy's armies would arrive in Vienna within the following months. Albert III would embrace Henri as the most faithful of princes. A jab at the fact Burgundy was not yet a kingdom. The Burgundian armies numbered 20000 were joined up the other crusaders who numbered a total of 52000 men. They would march to Buda to siege it. The Austrian field Marshall and overall commander was Wihelm von Roggendorf but Henri himself was in the field as commander of the Burgundian contingent. This would lead to overall anger between the two men as they would verbally quarrel over what tactics and route they would do to get there. However, they would arrive outside the city of Buda within the spring of 1541. The quarrelling would result in a poorly run siege and the attacks on the city would cause staggering casualties to the combined crusader army.

It would be this chaos and messy crusade that would melt immediately from the disciplined and fearsome Ottoman relief army led by the legendary Suleiman the Lawgiver. Sulieman's forces would reach the crusaders on August 21st 1541, immediately attacking and shattering the now tired and exhausted crusader army. Henri the fortunate would fight fiercely in the melee along with the Austrian commander, Wilhelm von Roggendorf. Henri would rally his Burgundian contingent but at this point it was at half strength in numbers and has lost most of its firepower but the last stand of the Burgundians would be remembered as they fought fiercely to keep the Turks at bay while the rest of the crusaders fled across the river. The Janissaries would fight tooth and nail against the hardened Burgundian phalange. A new formation created by Henri's son Philip the Wise who replicated and merged the success of the Tercio formation and the famed Burgundian pikes. It would not be enough however, with Ottoman cannon firing at the river and the sudden killing of Henri from a lucky musket shot from a Janissary. The Burgundian phalange would finally shatter and flee across the river only to be slaughtered with gun and cannon fire.

The Austrian field commander would fare no better as Wilhelm would die of his wounds two days later and the crusader army retreated back into Royal Hungary within the winter. This however would not be the end of the crusade as it would soon regroup this time led by the emperor himself Albert III who marched and laid siege to Pest the following year which would again lead to another failure. The crusading momentum died down shortly afterwards, with Philip V assuming the throne as Duke Palatine Philip of Burgundy. Albert would argue since he has not fully recovered the kingdom of Hungary that Burgundy would not be elevated into the Kingdom of Lotharingia as Henri desired instead he would still be left as a duke. This would infuriate Philip V who has watched from the sidelines with his wife Isabella of Portugal watching the realm prosper in every way other than foreign military policy and so would a new era of Burgundy begin shifting away from the Holy Roman Centric policy that the previous four dukes pushed and instead began to look back inwards and outwards. Burgundy's golden age was over with the death of Henri the Fortunate however the imperial drive and grace that it had during this time would be concentrated inwards focused not on military success but on what were the early Burgundian keys to power: Diplomacy.

Well what can I say, a return with a bang ( of cannons ) in every sense, a wonderful chapter, very interesting that Alberto used the same tactic as Frederick III in Otl, that is, promising the royal elevation and then retracting it (even if in immensely different circumstances ) I imagine that with Henry's death on the crusade and the failure of the Habsburgs to respect their promises, Burgundian diplomacy will now try to take revenge by making an enormously under-the-table negotiation with the third political actor of the HRE : the League of Schmalkand, with the aim of weaken the Imperials ( perhaps by financing an ATL peasant war ?, which is exploited by the league to further consolidate itself and at the same time destabilize Vienna ) finally technically Rome has given its consent to the royal title, so Philip could exploit this, to already be called KING of Lotharingia, without imperial approval, as a diplomatic disgrace towards Albert, because according to medieval law and ideology, there are two powers that can legitimize this passage, and in theory the recognition of only one is sufficient ( precisely Rome in this case ), I imagine that even the Lutherans would be willing to recognize it as such ( with the aim of fomenting new divisions between the two heavyweights in the Empire, so as not to make them gang up on each other )

Well what can I say, a return with a bang ( of cannons ) in every sense, a wonderful chapter, very interesting that Alberto used the same tactic as Frederick III in Otl, that is, promising the royal elevation and then retracting it (even if in immensely different circumstances ) I imagine that with Henry's death on the crusade and the failure of the Habsburgs to respect their promises, Burgundian diplomacy will now try to take revenge by making an enormously under-the-table negotiation with the third political actor of the HRE : the League of Schmalkand, with the aim of weaken the Imperials ( perhaps by financing an ATL peasant war ?, which is exploited by the league to further consolidate itself and at the same time destabilize Vienna ) finally technically Rome has given its consent to the royal title, so Philip could exploit this, to already be called KING of Lotharingia, without imperial approval, as a diplomatic disgrace towards Albert, because according to medieval law and ideology, there are two powers that can legitimize this passage, and in theory the recognition of only one is sufficient ( precisely Rome in this case ), I imagine that even the Lutherans would be willing to recognize it as such ( with the aim of fomenting new divisions between the two heavyweights in the Empire, so as not to make them gang up on each other )
HEHEHEHEHEHEH, we shall see what the next chapters will turn out but right now I'm focused on rewriting the Italian wars to be more accurate. Mark my words Philip the Wise will debut soon.

I have updated the first two chapters of the Italian wars. Chapters 18 and 19, we have a new war: War of Milanese Succession. How Orleans nearly screwed Charles and how Milan turned into Burgundy's new playground. The humiliation of Livorno, the Pisan dispute and a new Burgundian ally: Florence.

I have updated the first two chapters of the Italian wars. Chapters 18 and 19, we have a new war: War of Milanese Succession. How Orleans nearly screwed Charles and how Milan turned into Burgundy's new playground. The humiliation of Livorno, the Pisan dispute and a new Burgundian ally: Florence.
Cool!

Hello I'm back, So I have been doing further research and just been working on my historical knowledge especially of the Italian wars and the workings of the Holy Roman Empire. (I'm so sorry for not working on this for so long) It's come to my attention that honestly I should rewrite this further changing the lore a lot to be more realistic ngl. (Burgundian Emperor anyone?) How open would all of you be if I started to do a full rewrite from Chapter 20 up until now?
Go ahead. It Will be fun

I am very pleased to announce that I have now broken canon for this TL, rewrote Chapter 20 - 22 in which a lot of stuff is changed. Please give it a read and now chapters 23 - 29 make no sense at least until I finally rewrite the rest. (Burgundy stole Milan for like 3 years LOL)
Can you quote here each of the chapter you have already rewritten? So we can follow the change more easily?