Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

"Come not between the liberator and his slavocrat prey, Southerner, or he shall not spare thee in thy turn. His blades and arms shall bear thee to the fields of Armageddon, below the Mason–Dixon line, where thy body shall be annihilated and thy immoral cruelties shall be left naked before the rights of man."
Is that Tolkien you've adapted, or Thomas Paine? :p

Considering the talk of Confederates fleeing the country, maybe we could have Confederado-style communities be a thing in South Africa or even Australia ITTL in addition to being somewhat more prominent in Brazil?

Last edited:
Considering the talk of Confederates fleeing the country, maybe we could have Confederado-style communities be a thing in South Africa or even Australia ITTL in addition to being somewhat more prominent in Brazil?
I can imagine a bunch of Ex-Confederates trying to move to some small Central American countries and... Attempting to influence local politics. To put it lightly.

I can imagine a bunch of Ex-Confederates trying to move to some small Central American countries and... Attempting to influence local politics. To put it lightly.
Sounds like a perfect excuse opportunity for the United States to do an imperialism liberate the nation from ex-confederate control.

This might be way too early to bring up. But does a US that cares more for Black people consider annexing Liberia?
I think not. Liberia had declared independence in 1847, which was unrecognized by the United States until 1862. Given that the Liberians wanted independence, I doubt that Radical Republicans like Charles Sumner would vote for annexation. It would also undermine the status of independent black republics to the world. I'll quote Charles Sumner's stance on Santo Domingo as it fits the situation, "their independence is as precious to them as is ours to us, and it is placed under the safeguard of natural laws which we cannot violate with impunity."

Besides, I really don't hope to see the United States get tangled with the nasty relations between the American-Liberians and the other ethnic groups in Liberia.

This might be way too early to bring up. But does a US that cares more for Black people consider annexing Liberia?
I would agree with @Arnold d.c that it's unlikely due to the politics both OTL and ITTL. Liberia's been independent for over a decade de facto, even though its ties to the US and its moneyed forces in particular either still tie it or will tie it to the US as a pseudo-puppet/protectorate (IOTL at least).

Now that said, there was a lot of cultural cross-pollination between the Amero-Liberian elite and the US even into the post-WW2 era, with many of its leaders going to the US for education and then coming back to Liberia later in life. A hopefully less authoritarian and racist USA could have knock-on effects to the relationship between the Amero-Liberians and other African ethnic groups within its territory and make that whole "one of two non-colonized African nations" thing a little bit more truthful than the OTL historical myth where in reality it was still a colonial project with a settler elite domineering over local natives, it just so happened the domineering elite were black former American slaves and their descendants with support from white American business interests like Firestone Rubber.

You could maybe argue that a more inclusive USA could see a larger movement for Liberia to be (re-)annexed by the US, but I still don't see it becoming a majority due to a mix of the tyranny of distance, other ethnic groups, and TTL's general desire to avoid US imperialism, not provide it with justifications.

Somewhat tangentially related to this topic, maybe we could see bigger Confederate emigration from the US into countries like Brazil or South Africa?
Fun fact: One of Brazil's most famous singers of the 20th century, Rita Lee (who unfortunately died this week) is a direct descendant of Confederate emigrants and her surname Lee is an homage to Robert E. Lee (https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/articles/c8877j8ylx9o (You can use Google Translate))

So its now 1945 for the Conferency and the end is coming. Considering all the hints I seen about the post war aftermath, the South might see close to Paraguay levels of destruction from the war of the triple alliance and a post war famine. I do wonder how grand Lincoln eventually funeral would be, I can see him having a much bigger legacy in this TL and casting a huge shadow over future presidents. Especially as I see the president a sort of like the Doctor from Doctor who.

Hate to be the guy who comes after him, because those are some big shoes to fill and high standards.

Okay, you're gonna have to explain this metaphor because it's really weird
Well you see, I look at the office of the President as this guy who every four or eight years just regenerate into a new face with whole new personality. And the different versions of him have either be great, bad or just in the middle.

see close to Paraguay levels of destruction from the war of the triple alliance

I don't see the US army throwing cholera victims into water sources or doing ''who can slit the most prisoners' necks'' competitions.

Widespread atrocities would be necessary to approach triple alliance war levels of depopulation.

I don't see the US army throwing cholera victims into water sources or doing ''who can slit the most prisoners' necks'' competitions.

Widespread atrocities would be necessary to approach triple alliance war levels of depopulation.
Not to mention that the Confederacy isn't sending armies made up of children to be decimated by glory hunger commanders

So its now 1945 for the Conferency and the end is coming. Considering all the hints I seen about the post war aftermath, the South might see close to Paraguay levels of destruction from the war of the triple alliance and a post war famine. I do wonder how grand Lincoln eventually funeral would be, I can see him having a much bigger legacy in this TL and casting a huge shadow over future presidents. Especially as I see the president a sort of like the Doctor from Doctor who.

Hate to be the guy who comes after him, because those are some big shoes to fill and high standards.
Isn't The TL currently at 1861?

No problem! If you want, we can kindly discuss the details about Mexico at that time, and since I believe both of us speak Spanish, it should be very easy to do so.

My only consideration is that, as I said in the discussion of above, my perception is that, unfortunately, the rise of an autocracy in Mexico is basically inevitable, because positivism being a thing has made the intellectuals advocating for a hybrid regime that must enforce order in the country. Maybe if the Americans help a little with the Mexican economy, that can be avoided partially.

The main issue I can see if the Americans help Juárez actively is that there will be two contradictory opinions: that the US must enforce Mexico being in its sphere of influence (US), and that Mexico is a free and sovereign country (Mexico).
Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

I myself believe that Latin America is in a very dire position due to the way the independence wars developed. With how destructive they were, and given their inability to create good states instead only giving birth to caudillismo and dictatorships, it's very difficult to find a way to create prosperous democracies. That's why my other TL (sadly long neglected) has its POD in the Independence era. Here I'll just try to minimize the damage. Averting the Mexican Revolution would already be huge, I believe.

On sugar, given the greater scarcity of post-war labor, it might bring about 'Yellow Peril' earlier ITTL. IOTL Louisiana brought over Chinese coolies to work in the sugar plantations. The planters had hoped that the Chinese laborers' lower pay would force the freedmen to compete with them by asking lower pay to the planters... except the Chinese coolies instead chose to demand equal wages and refused to accept any violation of their contracts. The presence of Chinese coolies were arguably the seeds for the Chinese exclusion acts in the 1880s, pro-slavery men didn't like the coolies because of racial hierarchy and abolitionists did not want them because they feared that the coolie system would force the competing freedmen to accept conditions akin to slavery. The latter was not true, but I could see the debates accelerated ITTL.
It could be a sad illustration of the fact that less prejudice against Black people does not necessarily mean less prejudice against all minorities. Heck, I could see some African Americans being hostile to Chinese immigrants as unfair competition.

I read this, realized Jackson's men were about to go up against 54th USCT, and thought "do you not know death when you see it, old man?"

Really, it's amazing how you can alter LOTR quotes to fit this series.

"Come not between the liberator and his slavocrat prey, Southerner, or he shall not spare thee in thy turn. His blades and arms shall bear thee to the fields of Armageddon, below the Mason–Dixon line, where thy body shall be annihilated and thy immoral cruelties shall be left naked before the rights of man."
I'm glad to see you reading that update :D It's one I'm rather proud of, and given the number of likes it's also one of the most well-received by my dear readers. A moment that will echo down in history, for sure.

I'm not sure about Australia, I doubt the British would like that. South Africa... maybe.

Sounds like a perfect excuse opportunity for the United States to do an imperialism liberate the nation from ex-confederate control.
I, for one, welcome our new American overlords liberators. Though, anything that smacks of filibustering is bound to meet a hostile reaction.

I agree with @Arnold d.c and @Jord839 here. Besides being rather unrealistic, it's also something I personally wish to avoid.

Somewhat tangentially related to this topic, maybe we could see bigger Confederate emigration from the US into countries like Brazil or South Africa?
Fun fact: One of Brazil's most famous singers of the 20th century, Rita Lee (who unfortunately died this week) is a direct descendant of Confederate emigrants and her surname Lee is an homage to Robert E. Lee (https://www.bbc.com/portuguese/articles/c8877j8ylx9o (You can use Google Translate))
Brazilian Confederates is also something wild. Ironically, they might be the only ones that can actually claim to be all about heritage, not hate.

When Lincoln dies it's bound to be the grandest event. I mean, this is the Savior of the Union right here. His legacy may be somewhat more complicated, since IOTL Lincoln being martyred somewhat helped his image. At the same time, the Lost Cause has tarnished it, and I sadly see a lot of modern people saying that Lincoln was a White Supremacist no better than Davis or Lee because he didn't free all the enslaved, execute all rebels, and transformed the US into a utopia on day one. They will pull 1856 quotes to say why Lincoln 1865 sucked.

Not to mention that the Confederacy isn't sending armies made up of children to be decimated by glory hunger commanders
Indeed. Sometimes I believe people lose sight of the fact that my main intention is to try and build a better US at the end of the war. Some users have talked of "Paraguay is the objective," but it isn't because I don't want the South to be so devastated. It's unrealistic, since the Union was trying to conquer, not to destroy the South; it's counterproductive, since that is bound to make re-union impossible and would probably affect Black people just as much; and, frankly, it's somewhat mean spirited. My guiding light when writing has always been to have principles and idealism as the cornerstones of the TL. If I'm ever writing about the US Army mudering children just because, then I've lost myself.

Isn't The TL currently at 1861?
You've missed a few updated my friend lol. Curiously, the last update dealing with 1861 was posted three years ago, and we're now at 1864, so we're actually matching the pace of the real world.

You know even if the US doesn't go for Liberia I could see it getting involved in Africa. Trying to establish colonies to "protect the black man from the Imperialistic Europeans who aim to exploit and enslave them anew". At the bare minimum having this US end up with the Congo instead of Belgium would be a major improvement.