Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Delaware shouldn't need to worry too too much, but wilmington needs to become a troop hub ASAP so the Delmarva penninsula is protected from invasion.

I wonder what the Confederate flag should look like ITTL, it could easily still be the stars and bars but they only kept it at first because people wanted some semblance of the nation they seceded from but ITTL they might not want to have a flag so closely related to the flag made by that yank Betsy Ross.

Sorry for the delay!

Never underestimate your enemy. Especially if he has 3x of your manpower and 9-12x of economics...

Confederates are going to learn that lesson the hard way.

Ouch. So basically all the Border States (sans Delaware, which barely counts) are split between two governments and in their own miniature civil wars.

I wonder, will the CSA try attacking delaware?

Yes. While in OTL the Kentucky and Missouri Confederate governments had no real power and were in-exile for most of the war, here they are true contenders for every state. And that's a possibility.

Lincoln the Vampire Hunter is coming for you, senator

Chestnut is the master vampire behind the war, of course.

The Confederacy presumably still lacks a navy and Maryland's Eastern Shore is cut off from the secessionist core, so long as the Union holds the Susquehanna. If there is an invasion, it'd have to be with those militia units that can be raised on the Eastern Shore: not many, TBH.

Also, the Confederacy needs all the troops it can get to establish control over Baltimore and create a line of defense.

Delaware shouldn't need to worry too too much, but wilmington needs to become a troop hub ASAP so the Delmarva penninsula is protected from invasion.

Defending Wilmington is of the utmost importance. It will probably be one of the Union's supply bases.

I wonder what the Confederate flag should look like ITTL, it could easily still be the stars and bars but they only kept it at first because people wanted some semblance of the nation they seceded from but ITTL they might not want to have a flag so closely related to the flag made by that yank Betsy Ross.

Perhaps the Battle flag or something similar is adopted here.

Perhaps the Battle flag or something similar is adopted here

Tbh i always thought the stars and bars looked better than the battle flag, though admittedly it was similar enough to be mistaken for old glory on the battlefield. Maybe some variation on the bonnie blue flag?

Speaking of flags, can i make a request? Idk how it went for other states that chose the seal/coat of arms+blue field design, but i know that Wisconsin's was based on the regimental flags used in the war(and it only got worse from there). Maybe that crime against vexillology can be prevented

An ancestor from the Swiss French Border area apparently registered for the draft but wasn't drafted 1863. He lives in Ohio. While I don't know if he would volunteer yet, since he didn't serve in OTL, perhaps after he is married in '62 night consider it in this one.

This will be a mess. But, the slaveocracy will be totally destroyed now.

Great last chapter! I've always disliked Beriah Magoffin (and liked him even less the more I researched him for my TL) and his actions here are even worse than OTL!

I think though, you might want to make it sound like Polk invaded at the invitation of Magoffin, reads a little close to OTL.

But the changes in Kansas and Missouri are fantastic! Looking forward to what goes down in Delaware!

BP Booker

Banned
Im getting second hand embarrassment from all these quotes, which all seem to be real in some form. “The people of this Commonwealth are freemen, not slaves, and will defend to the last extremity their honor, lives, and property, against Northern mendacity and usurpation.” Seriously? Not even Orwell could come up with this sh*t. Reading contemporary statements from the Civil War is crazy, one minute its all about abstract "We are fighting for our God Given Rights against a tyranical goverment, liberty shall not perish on these states" and the other is literally "This is a White Supremacist Revolution, Blacks are not Human Beigns"

I'd like to see a map of the initial control so far.
How is West Virginia? Is it still the hotbed of anti-secessionist sentiment? Plus I can definitely see East Tennessee being formed ITTL.
RIP the Democratic Party. It will be interesting to see how the party coalitions fare with the GOP vs. National Union. I'm thinking that we could see a whole new political map develop.

Im getting second hand embarrassment from all these quotes, which all seem to be real in some form. “The people of this Commonwealth are freemen, not slaves, and will defend to the last extremity their honor, lives, and property, against Northern mendacity and usurpation.” Seriously? Not even Orwell could come up with this sh*t. Reading contemporary statements from the Civil War is crazy, one minute its all about abstract "We are fighting for our God Given Rights against a tyranical goverment, liberty shall not perish on these states" and the other is literally "This is a White Supremacist Revolution, Blacks are not Human Beigns"

It all makes sense because when they talk about their "god-given rights", all they mean is "our god-given rights to own slaves". It really was all about slavery for the South, and all the "rights" mentioned were just attempts to sound more noble. The South was fighting for slavery, nothing more, but OTL they tried to hide that- after losing the war - with their filthy lies about "states right".

Again! I didn't get an alert for your story again! Regardless of the errors of this site, I love how much detail you put into each single chapter this is awesome

Great update

Damn things are getting exciting !

Thanks!

Tbh i always thought the stars and bars looked better than the battle flag, though admittedly it was similar enough to be mistaken for old glory on the battlefield. Maybe some variation on the bonnie blue flag?

Speaking of flags, can i make a request? Idk how it went for other states that chose the seal/coat of arms+blue field design, but i know that Wisconsin's was based on the regimental flags used in the war(and it only got worse from there). Maybe that crime against vexillology can be prevented

I also like the stars and bars better. The Bonnie Blue is too simple. Also, I'd like to use OTL ilustrations, and most of them show the stars and bars or the battle flag prominently, and unfortunately, I don't have the photoshop skills to change them.

Yeah! Request are always welcome, and the US state flags really frustrate me. I may be able to come up with a design, but if anyone wants to give it a shot they're welcome!

An ancestor from the Swiss French Border area apparently registered for the draft but wasn't drafted 1863. He lives in Ohio. While I don't know if he would volunteer yet, since he didn't serve in OTL, perhaps after he is married in '62 night consider it in this one.

This will be a mess. But, the slaveocracy will be totally destroyed now.

The draft OTL served more as the government's big stick, like "volunteer or else..." A worse war may force the government to install a more through draft. While in OTL of 776,000 men drafted only about 76,000 actually went into the army, this time the rate may be higher. Your ancestor may be drafted then if he doesn't volunteer.

Great last chapter! I've always disliked Beriah Magoffin (and liked him even less the more I researched him for my TL) and his actions here are even worse than OTL!

I think though, you might want to make it sound like Polk invaded at the invitation of Magoffin, reads a little close to OTL.

But the changes in Kansas and Missouri are fantastic! Looking forward to what goes down in Delaware!

You are right, I should make it clear that Breckinridge told Polk to never ever invade Kentucky but Polk went in anyway after Magoffin invited him in.

East Tennessee! East Tennessee! East Tennessee!

Liberating East Tennessee was historically one of Lincoln's most cherished war goals. We will see a concentrated effort here.

McPherson's insight is again very useful. He confesses that he remained skeptical about such statements, but men wrote things like that in private letters to loved ones, not meant to be seen by anyone else. They actually and firmly believed in what they said. And that includes Southerners for whom freedom actually was slavery. Some actually said things like "democratic liberty exists solely because we have black slaves," that slavery "promotes equality among the free" and "freedom is not possible without slavery." These are all real quotes. For them, Black people were not human beings. When they talked of liberty and rights it was understood by everyone that you meant liberty and rights for white people. In their eyes, there was no other people, just the property those Yankees were trying to steal.

I'd like to see a map of the initial control so far.
How is West Virginia? Is it still the hotbed of anti-secessionist sentiment? Plus I can definitely see East Tennessee being formed ITTL.
RIP the Democratic Party. It will be interesting to see how the party coalitions fare with the GOP vs. National Union. I'm thinking that we could see a whole new political map develop.

I've refrained from making another map because I haven't explained events around Maryland yet. And yes, West Virginia is strongly pro-Union. They are even angrier ITTL because post-John Brown, Richmond gerrymandered them practically out of existence, and because Virginia seceded before any coercion had been made and then went on to start the war.

Again! I didn't get an alert for your story again! Regardless of the errors of this site, I love how much detail you put into each single chapter this is awesome

Thank you very much!