The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Uhhh no, the Belgian Congo was a monstrosity that even other colonial powers knew it had to stop. Ethiopia is the harshest place in Italy's Empire, but not close to the Belgian Congo.

As terrible as life is under the jackboot of fascism, it sure as hell beats red rubber, where even if you don't get your hands severed, you risk your skin being destroyed because of all the rubber you have to wear and tear off of your body.

After everything, i still can’t See the arabs as anything else but victims, they got colonised, messily decolonized , displaced from their own land by millions of settlers, and because they followed some Mad, genocidal, wannabe-Hitler and his bunch of cronies they are themselves paying the hard price in millions of death.

hmm
Don't forget there was a movement in Bengal for an independent and secular Bengal separate from India AND Pakistan.
Hydrabad did not try to become independent, as such, technically it already was as a Princely state its just that its ruler did not willingly join either Pakistan or India, and thus got invaded. There was no mass independence movement as such. To be honest the Indian sequences here make no sense. Once India achieved Dominion status it was independent in reality under the statute of Westminster. Churchill's view on what should happen after that are on a par with his control over say South Africa ie none in terms of. their relevance yet he keeps being .brought into it and accused of delaying Indian Independence. How may one ask?. Once Dominion status was declared the Indians controlled their own destiny.

Got to agree with sarahz here. Churchill may have agonised about losing India but as soon as the Dominion status was given then it has "gone" from the control of the UK. Even the Indian Civil War demonstrates that - if UK had been in control they would have done more than ferry non-combatants around. The only thing that may be an issue is whether or not the Indian state remains within a Commonwealth or any military equivalent that may have developed in TTL.

[B]@thanix01[/B]

If their next leader is Balbo then I expect Italian airforce will get a boost in funding.

Recently read Tim Kennedy's excellent Rise and Fall of Great Powers. He mentions how for a brief period in the late '20s and early '30s, Italy's Air Force was considered the finest and most technological advanced in the world.

Fascists built-up the military during the Great Depression (from which they were largely insulated) at a time when most of the world's militaries were rusting away, so it is less surprising than it might seem. Still, it goes to show that if Italy just has the politcal will, they absolutely do have the talent and resources to be at the cutting edge of almost any particular technology they choose.

Given that Fascist Italy is not going to be closed to world markets like Franco's Spain was after WW2, they should be going through massive industrialization. Add discovery of Libyan and Red Sea oil, and part if not whole ownership of the Suez Canal, Italy is looking at a massive boom in the '60s and '70s.

Last edited:
I like how De Gaulle decided to use the war to legitimate a nuclear attack against algerian rebels.
Considering what the OTL french did during the war in Algeria, i wouldn't be surprised if other nukes were used in the future.

I like how De Gaulle decided to use the war to legitimate a nuclear attack against algerian rebels.
Considering what the OTL french did during the war in Algeria, i wouldn't be surprised if other nukes were used in the future.
I doubt it. Even with a nuke, Algerians are gonna wanna be free, and this just kills off any moderates, because it proves France will not let them go, ever.

I doubt it. Even with a nuke, Algerians are gonna wanna be free, and this just kills off any moderates, because it proves France will not let them go, ever.
I mean even in OTL the french refused to accept the reality of the situation and didn't accept any kind of compromise until it was too late (the Pieds-Noirs didn't help of course).
ITTL De Gaulle has ordered the use of two nukes against Algeria for something that happened in Syria.
At this point i doubt there are any moderates left in France or Algeria

[B]@thanix01[/B]

Recently read Tim Kennedy's excellent Rise and Fall of Great Powers. He mentions how for a brief period in the late '20s and early '30s, Italy's Air Force was considered the finest and most technological advanced in the world.

Fascists built-up the military during the Great Depression (from which they were largely insulated) at a time when most of the world's militaries were rusting away, so it is less surprising than it might seem. Still, it goes to show that if Italy just has the politcal will, they absolutely do have the talent and resources to be at the cutting edge of almost any particular technology they choose.

Given that Fascist Italy is not going to be closed to world markets like Franco's Spain was after WW2, they should be going through massive industrialization. Add discovery of Libyan and Red Sea oil, and part if not whole ownership of the Suez Canal, Italy is looking at a massive boom in the '60s and '70s.

The supporting infrastructure required to be at the bleeding edge in the 1920s is of a different order to that required in the 1950s, of course, but it does make sense that if Mussolini decides on One Big Thing that Italy is going to beat the world at, he has a decent chance of pulling it off despite the dysfunctionality of a lot of the state. The problem he had in OTL was he had the capacity to do anything he wanted but not everything he wanted, and couldn't tell the difference.

True. But keep in mind that the Italy of the '50s is also orders of magnitude more powerful than the Italy of the '20s. In 1920, Italy was an agrarian nation closer to the likes of Spain or Poland than Britain or France. Italy in 1960 was a leading industrial nation, going ahead to briefly have a greater GDP than the UK in the '80s.

I think Italy's potential gets massively underestimated. While OTL it is easy to see why, TTL Italy has gone from strength to strength. They came out of WWII practically unhurt compared to almost every other major European power and thus will be far stronger (than OTL) and with an intact empire. What they lack in somewhat inept economic policy is made up for by political stability and certainty.

In effect, they are a better version of South Korea to the Western powers; more stable, much bigger and far more powerful. South Korea, rather the PRC (as suggested by some here) is the best analogue for Italy TTL as it had all the downsides of Fascist Italy but actually much worse somehow. And look how they turned out.

After everything, i still can’t See the arabs as anything else but victims, they got colonised, messily decolonized , displaced from their own land by millions of settlers, and because they followed some Mad, genocidal, wannabe-Hitler and his bunch of cronies they are themselves paying the hard price in millions of death.

Well, much like the slovenians. A people who sealed their fate by allying the wrong people and pissing off the wrong people. The Slovenians had Lubiana and the Arabs Muscat and Tel Aviv. That and the soon discover of former Nazis amongst them. I see little sympathy for them in the future.

Well, much like the slovenians. A people who sealed their fate by allying the wrong people and pissing off the wrong people. The Slovenians had Lubiana and the Arabs Muscat and Tel Aviv. That and the soon discover of former Nazis amongst them. I see little sympathy for them in the future.

Only difference is, the Slovene culture and language will be completely wiped out. At least the Arabs will keep some semblance of theirs, even though it will change dramatically as a result of the Second Arab War. Assuming of course nothing will cause a Third.

Only difference is, the Slovene culture and language will be completely wiped out. At least the Arabs will keep some semblance of theirs, even though it will change dramatically as a result of the Second Arab War. Assuming of course nothing will cause a Third.

Indeed, the Slovenians are doomed to disappear. I don't think there will be a Third Arabian War, I think they learned their lesson.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Здравствуйте. Не забудьте перевести то, что вы хотите сказать, на английский, потому что это англоязычный веб-сайт. Существует подфорум под названием «Help», где вы можете задать эти вопросы. Не забудьте добавить скриншоты, чтобы люди могли вам помочь.
Since this was posted without any English translation, and since it has been reported, I'm forced to assume that it is actionable , especially seeing how it seems to be a response to a Spammer.

Probably should be a kick, but we'll go down a notch, since its the Holiday Season.

DO NOT REPEAT

Since this was posted without any English translation, and since it has been reported, I'm forced to assume that it is actionable , especially seeing how it seems to be a response to a Spammer.

Probably should be a kick, but we'll go down a notch, since its the Holiday Season.

DO NOT REPEAT
According to Google Trasletor this is its meaning:

"
Hello. Do not forget to translate what you want to say into English, because it is an English-language website. There is a sub-forum called Help, where you can ask these questions. Remember to add screenshots so people can help you."