The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Finally had time to read the latest chapter.
I love it, and it confirmed to me that this is one of the best TLs on the site.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one that is still rooting for Italy to remake the Imperium a new...... oh well.

So after reading that De Gaulle's main contribuition to the war was nuking the Algerian desert i have made this meme:

ZomboMeme 04122019105433.jpg

Also it was really a clever idea. No way it will orribly backfire, making the algerian indipence movement more widespread and violent than OTL.

it was really a clever idea. No way it will orribly backfire, making the algerian indipence movement more widespread and violent than OTL.

They just used 2 nukes on them which means that unlike OTL, there is nothing stopping them ITTL to go to these lengths.
If anything the African territories will be much easily integrate... People ain't gonna fight for something like "independence" if the most likely result is atomic annihilation.

anything the African territories will be much easily integrate... People ain't gonna fight for something like "independence" if the most likely result is atomic annihilation.
Really? Because the French can't use too many nukes without completely destroying the algerian environment and the rebels will start hiding in small cities and the desert.
Unless De Gaulle goes full "For All Time" i doubt France will start a nuclear genocide just to keep Algeria.

Also no, the nukes more or less killed any chance of collaboration between the natives and Paris

Really? Because the French can't use too many nukes without completely destroying the algerian environment and the rebels will start hiding in small cities and the desert.
Unless De Gaulle goes full "For All Time" i doubt France will start a nuclear genocide just to keep Algeria.

Also no, the nukes more or less killed any chance of collaboration between the natives and Paris

But at the same time, unless the FLN can steal a nuclear weapon, the chance of Paris actually letting the natives win is probably close to nil.

But at the same time, unless the FLN can steal a nuclear weapon, the chance of Paris actually letting the natives win is probably close to nil.
And again if France has no targets to hit, the use of nukes becomes obsolete.
Even an heavy use of nuclear bombs could easily backfire, destroying Algeria's natural resources

They don't need to. Same as in Vietnam, they don't got to win on the battlefield, but in the public mind and sending back conscripts in body bags and stretchers accomplishes that goal nicely.

And again if France has no targets to hit, the use of nukes becomes obsolete.
Even an heavy use of nuclear bombs could easily backfire, destroying Algeria's natural resources
As it is, they already have become obsolete. If you think any FLN groups are gonna gather in a big enough size to warrant atomics being dropped, you got another thing coming. That means it's use now has to be limited to "rebel supporting villages", which totally won't seem like overkill.

So the Franco-Brits will keep the colonies for now but expect them to push the colonies to take more responsibility for defense by providing local troops, base agreements, raw materials and taxes.

As for the next Middle East war, the Alliance/ETO will probably be willing to provide aid to the Israelis. There is also sponsoring revolts using Turkey as a base for training and support. What is the situation in Iran?
Otl there was some integrationist sentiment in UK territories ie Malta and French territories like Senegal, could we see more of that, after all a volunteer is worth ten pressed men. I could certainly see it in places like Sierra Leone.

I don't know. Again Mussolini is a bad man, but I don't think he would bring to power beings who jockeyed for power as badly as Stalin's henchmen.

But I am really crossing my fingers for a Ciano-Balbo arrangement.

Maybe Graziani. He seemed pretty ruthless for a fascist, both ITTL and OTL. But I'm not sure if he was a treacherous power-seeker, or if he was genuinely loyal to Mussolini.

Perhaps there was a secret policeman who went beyond the usual ruthlessness, but I can't think of one to be a position of power.
Graziani probably was not raping the young daughters of officials unlike Beria

Graziani probably was not raping the young daughters of officials unlike Beria
No, he just murdered more or less 20% (aka 19,200 people killed, not counting the ones who were imprisoned or deported to Italy) of the population of Addis Ababa after a group of ethiopian rebels tried to kill him.

For some reason i don't think he was any better than Beria

No, he just murdered more or less 20% (aka 19,200 people killed, not counting the ones who were imprisoned or deported to Italy) of the population of Addis Ababa after a group of ethiopian rebels tried to kill him.
It was two Eritreans in the Italian colonial administration who attempted to kill him, ironically enough.

For some reason i don't think he was any better than Beria

Both were bad in their own way. But, as stated, Graziani had SOME loyalty to Mussolini's cause, as terrible as it was.

But Beria wasn't merely a loyal minion of a cruel dictator: the man was rotten to the very CORE!

He raped people, he may have been an outright serial killer, and he had zero loyalty to anything but himself.

When Stalin was on his deathbed, Beria apparently cackled like a madman. When Stalin seemed to recover, Beria dropped to his knees. When Stalin lost consciousness, Beria spat. He spent Stalin's mourning period looking like the happiest dude in the world.

But, as stated, Graziani had SOME loyalty to Mussolini's cause, as terrible as it was.

But Beria wasn't merely a loyal minion of a cruel dictator: the man was rotten to the very CORE!

Graziani literally set up concentration camps and labor camps during the Pacification of Lybia,letting thousands of civilians, including women and children, starve to death.
This earned him the nickname of "The Butcher Of Fezzan".

Grazziani was the one who suggested the use of chemical weapons in Ethiopia and ordered numerous massacres even before they tried to kill him.

Here is one of his quotes from OTL: "The Duce will have Ethiopia, with or without the Ethiopians."

His loyalty to Mussolini also meant he was responsable for all the various war crimes the SRI commited against italian civilians.

He was a mass murderer who openly considered rape another weapon to use against the enemy.
The fact the two of them have different motivations doesn't matter if the results are the same anyway

His loyalty to Mussolini also meant he was responsable for all the various war crimes the SRI commited against italian civilians.

He was a mass murderer who openly considered rape another weapon to use against the enemy.
The fact the two of them have different motivations doesn't matter if the results are the same anyway
Heres my final verdict: Both are equally evil in there actions and as people but If i were going to be trapped in a room with one of them, Id choose Garzani every time.

Graziani literally set up concentration camps and labor camps during the Pacification of Lybia,letting thousands of civilians, including women and children, starve to death.
This earned him the nickname of "The Butcher Of Fezzan".

Grazziani was the one who suggested the use of chemical weapons in Ethiopia and ordered numerous massacres even before they tried to kill him.

Here is one of his quotes from OTL: "The Duce will have Ethiopia, with or without the Ethiopians."

I'm well aware of Graziani's crimes against humanity. I'm simply saying Graziani's actions are explained as some kind of twisted loyalty to the state. In many respects, he was as bad as Beria, and it is frustrating how OTL, he served less time in prison then a shoplifter.

I'm not saying his actions are OK, but they are the modus operandi of any empire.

But Beria's own private life proves the man was so amoral, he was practically an empty shell driven only by power and lust.

If you are genuinely loyal to the fascist cause, I can picture Graziani giving you a pat on the back.

Beria would probably rape your wife and murder you if his whims ordered it.

Heres my final verdict: Both are equally evil in there actions and as people but If i were going to be trapped in a room with one of them, Id choose Garzani every time.

Plus, Graziani probably makes some really good pasta.

Last edited: