The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Sorairo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. sarahz Well-Known Member

The coalition already passed Butler's education Act. If the government needs Liberal support (and on this maths it does) then reform will also have to feature remember Beveridge was actually a Liberal and briefly MP for Berwick on Tweed OTL, it would help to have him stay in the house as one of the 10 remaining Liberals.

Ogrebear likes this.
  2. sarahz Well-Known Member

in Argentina it was called (and still is )Peronism

3. sarahz Well-Known Member

D
    Dominion status IS independence for all practical purposes, frankly getting upset about this when India has the same status as the White Dominions seems odd to me, long term I would think the Indians would be rather more worried about North China, Russia and the Indian communities in South Africa, all of which being on good terms with the UK could help with.

Alpha-King98760, Ogrebear and Zagan like this.
  4. sarahz Well-Known Member

Giving India Dominion status IS NOT trying to hang on to India, it is Independence in every practical respect.

Alpha-King98760, Dolan, Nephi and 2 others like this.
  5. sarahz Well-Known Member

For the rich yes not so much for anyone else

6. sarahz Well-Known Member

hmm that is one definition of ethnic cleansing you know

7. Nephi Well-Known Member

Most likely themselves to become a republic soon enough though.

8. Dolan Lookin fer Gooby

with all the clusterfuck involving Communists and Islam, with the need to unite the nation instead of being split up?

If this India ITTL wanted to really kick Britain out, they will offer the crown to one of the Native Rajahs to avoid the potentially violent split of Muslim population.

9. thanix01 Well-Known Member

I did not know. My English is not that great, I always assume ethnic cleansing mean genocide.

10. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

11. sarahz Well-Known Member

I am not understanding any of your comments on India, After the statute of Westminster in 1931 Dominions were effectively independent, Dominion status has been granted, what is all this cock about hanging onto India?

12. sarahz Well-Known Member

This simply consists of the Indians having the Monarch as ceremonial Head of State, that's it nothing more, and in any case the decision on this could be made by the Indian Government at any time without reference to London There is no "letting India go" or "hanging on to it" involved.

Alpha-King98760 and Zagan like this.
  13. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

All political systems require three things to survive: success on the battlefield, putting bread on the table, and the leaders not being depraved shits. If you can't do at least two out of three, your political system will come trashing down.

Mussolini TTL has lucked out by being both on the right of history and by being a Cold War ally, and that fact that his brand of oppression isn't so lunatic as to alienate EVERYBODY.

Like you said, fascism is a system with severe cracks underneath its armor. But right now, those cracks have been papered over.

If circumstances change, then the flaws of the fascist system may gradually be exposed.

14. Falecius Well-Known Member

They check the depraved shits box actually.
    But there's plenty of worse shits around.

15. Bookmark1995 Bookmark95 Reborn!

That's the frustrating thing about the Nazis: they set the bar so far low, that the Stalinists, despite also being guilty of ethnic cleansing and genocide, could come across as "OK".

TTL, Mussolini comes across as a saint because his obsession with identity isn't so deranged, he'll murder an entire ethnic group like insects, nor invade an entire country just to do it. He has also become a saint compared to the awfulness of the TTL Soviet Union and the unhinged madness of the UAR.

16. naraht Well-Known Member

Heck at this point, I wonder if any place in the Italian empire even rates as bad as turn of the Century Belgian Congo...

17. Thomas_Wellesley Member

Have just read through this very interesting timeline.
    It is very well written, seems sadly realistic, and has had me saying HOLY SHIT every other chapter or so. Can't wait to see where things go next :)

18. PatrickMtz Well-Known Member

Uhhh no, the Belgian Congo was a monstrosity that even other colonial powers knew it had to stop. Ethiopia is the harshest place in Italy's Empire, but not close to the Belgian Congo.

19. Kaiser Frank Well-Known Member

• Warning
    Здравствуйте. Не забудьте перевести то, что вы хотите сказать, на английский, потому что это англоязычный веб-сайт. Существует подфорум под названием «Help», где вы можете задать эти вопросы. Не забудьте добавить скриншоты, чтобы люди могли вам помочь.
    Edit: English Translation: Hello. Do not forget to translate what you want to say into English, because it is an English-language website. There is a sub-forum called Help, where you can ask these questions. Remember to add screenshots so people can help you.

The reason I posted this was because the person I quoted was asking for help with a website error. He turned out to be a troll/spammer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  20. Kaiser Frank Well-Known Member

Nevermind. That guy has vanished off of the face of the Earth for some reason.

The Undead Martyr and Zagan like this.