"Lang thought about the offer from Vietnam, that would require Louis to go to the far east for a State visit. He would need to visit China as well which couldn’t happen while the war was on."

I would be very worried about the Emperor of my country visiting a war zone on the other side of the world just to receive a medal.... Unless he had a Kat with him.

"Lang thought about the offer from Vietnam, that would require Louis to go to the far east for a State visit. He would need to visit China as well which couldn’t happen while the war was on."

I would be very worried about the Emperor of my country visiting a war zone on the other side of the world just to receive a medal.... Unless he had a Kat with him.

Kat, a battalion of the SKA and another from the 1st Foot Guards, a squadron of jets, a couple of new aircraft carriers, a couple of battleships and a dozen new submarines.

Kat, generate some goodwill and test those logistic capabilities: airlift in a regiments worth of sausages and beer. OK, beer may yet be too heavy for these copters.

I wonder how the occupation of Belarus and the Ukraine is going?

Poland, the Baltic States, Finland, and Romania are probably drawing up maps and dividing amongst themselves on what parts they want.
But it is in the "Big Four" interest to keep the territorial integrity of Belarus and the Ukraine intact so the population of the two SSRs don't become sucked in by an appeal by nationalist leadership that will turn against the Allies.

I wonder how the occupation of Belarus and the Ukraine is going?

Poland, the Baltic States, Finland, and Romania are probably drawing up maps and dividing amongst themselves on what parts they want.
But it is in the "Big Four" interest to keep the territorial integrity of Belarus and the Ukraine intact so the population of the two SSRs don't become sucked in by an appeal by nationalist leadership that will turn against the Allies.

From a discussion we've had earlier:

it may seem to be to soon, but the allies should start thinking about post war plan for Russia.

Not too soon at all. The Soviets still have armies in the field and the Allies need to think about how best to deal with them, plus the historical limits that logistics puts on any forces invading Russia.

And then there's the nine-way discussion about postwar borders (Germay,
Romania, Italy, Slovakia, Bohemia, Hungary, Poland, Britain and France; ten-way if Turkey joins in) which could turn into a real squabble.

Now's the time that the Big Four (Germany, Britain, France and Poland) should come up with what postwar Russia looks like and force the rest to acquiesce, otherwise everybody with a border with Russia will want part of it and squabbles will likely break out as to who gets what.

I just thought of (yet another) bone of contention between Germany and the US: guns.Germany is acquiring large numbers of Soviet weapons and, if the US' culture isn't too much different than OTL then there's a large market for them. Rifles, pistols, ammunition, submachne guns ("burp guns"), crew-served machine guns; if the equivalent of the Federal Firearms Act of 1934 was passed then sales of fully-automatic weapons will be lower but they'll still take place.

I can see Germany doing this to earn foreign exchange. The domestic manufacturers will be up in arms[0] about "cheap imports." Note that weapons were available via mail-order, shipped directly to your home.

[0] Sorry, couldn't resist.

I just thought of (yet another) bone of contention between Germany and the US: guns.Germany is acquiring large numbers of Soviet weapons and, if the US' culture isn't too much different than OTL then there's a large market for them. Rifles, pistols, ammunition, submachne guns ("burp guns"), crew-served machine guns; if the equivalent of the Federal Firearms Act of 1934 was passed then sales of fully-automatic weapons will be lower but they'll still take place.

I can see Germany doing this to earn foreign exchange. The domestic manufacturers will be up in arms[0] about "cheap imports." Note that weapons were available via mail-order, shipped directly to your home.

[0] Sorry, couldn't resist.
It's possible there will be some gun owners who would be interested in buying an old Moisin-Nagant rifle or whatever, but they would be in the minority. I also don't see any significant number of people buying crew-served machine guns. People back then didn't have money like they do now.

Also, Russian weapons would be seen as "foreign junk" that is not worth buying at any price. There was, and to an extent still is, a strong "made in the USA" streak in the US gun-owning population.

It's possible there will be some gun owners who would be interested in buying an old Moisin-Nagant rifle or whatever, but they would be in the minority. I also don't see any significant number of people buying crew-served machine guns. People back then didn't have money like they do now.

Also, Russian weapons would be seen as "foreign junk" that is not worth buying at any price. There was, and to an extent still is, a strong "made in the USA" streak in the US gun-owning population.

The big problem at the time with many in the US buying Russian weapons would ammo. Mosins are fine weapons, but I suspect that Springfields will be more popular, since the ammo is easy to come by. Additionally, quite frankly the Springfield, being a modified Mauser IS better than the Mosin.

The big problem at the time with many in the US buying Russian weapons would ammo. Mosins are fine weapons, but I suspect that Springfields will be more popular, since the ammo is easy to come by. Additionally, quite frankly the Springfield, being a modified Mauser IS better than the Mosin.

I'd think that the Germans would be exporting ammunition, too. If the US Army is converting to Garands or something else there'd be a bunch of Springfields on the market, but what the heck - enough people might want one to make the project worth investigating.The US economy is doing well selling stuff to everyone.

I'd think that the Germans would be exporting ammunition, too. If the US Army is converting to Garands or something else there'd be a bunch of Springfields on the market, but what the heck - enough people might want one to make the project worth investigating.The US economy is doing well selling stuff to everyone.
Plus, if they're selling Mosins, why not the ammo as well? It's a solid weapon, allows you to brag to your hunting buddies that it's a Commie weapon that is a trophy, and ensures they're put to some use.

Plus, if they're selling Mosins, why not the ammo as well? It's a solid weapon, allows you to brag to your hunting buddies that it's a Commie weapon that is a trophy, and ensures they're put to some use.

Not that they wouldn't export ammo, but it's not a matter of going to the local store to pick up, it's going to be rarer, not like 30.06 which is going to be where ever ammo is sold

Hmmm...... the only novelty that I could guess that could come from the Russians would be if in this verse the AK-47 its developed earlier as they need both precision, fire rate and are confronting an slowly increasing scarcity of materials for ammunition, and they can't afford anymore to use weapons like the PPsH, that while it had a fast firing rate it was BS on precision in anything that wasn't close range.

This weapons discussion is very interesting. There will be plenty of countries and people who will be to buy those Russian captured guns. And THANK YOU holyknight for bringing up the AK-47!!

Mr.Peabody, one request. Please do something about that's include something about Michael Kalashnikov in your story. He's the designer of the AK and was a crew member of a T-34 before being wounded.

If he were to be taken prisoner by the Germans and they discovered his genius for weapons design, well that's a wonderful idea in my opinion.

This is your excellent story sir, tell it the way you want it to be told. Please don't think that I'm trying to tell you what to write, just a simple fan request.

This weapons discussion is very interesting. There will be plenty of countries and people who will be to buy those Russian captured guns. And THANK YOU holyknight for bringing up the AK-47!!

Mr.Peabody, one request. Please do something about that's include something about Michael Kalashnikov in your story. He's the designer of the AK and was a crew member of a T-34 before being wounded.

If he were to be taken prisoner by the Germans and they discovered his genius for weapons design, well that's a wonderful idea in my opinion.

This is your excellent story sir, tell it the way you want it to be told. Please don't think that I'm trying to tell you what to write, just a simple fan request.

Well that's fine and all unless you believe the stories that most of the design work came from Hugo Schmeisser.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/14/designed-ak-47/

Even if that article is BS the Germans ITTL should have Schmeisser working on a version of the Sturmgewehr, probably greatly accelerated without Hitler's interference in the small arms programs. Plus there is that lovely FN rifle that Emil loves so much...

Well that's fine and all unless you believe the stories that most of the design work came from Hugo Schmeisser.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/14/designed-ak-47/

Even if that article is BS the Germans ITTL should have Schmeisser working on a version of the Sturmgewehr, probably greatly accelerated without Hitler's interference in the small arms programs. Plus there is that lovely FN rifle that Emil loves so much...

The lovely Mauser rifle, developed from an experimental prototype FN sent Emil:

5th August, 1932

Wunsdorf-Zossen, Germany

That was when a teenaged Soldat ran up “The General wanted you to have this” he said handing Horst a rifle case before running off. What was the latest skullduggery that Wolvogle had cooked up? When Horst opened the case, he wondered how the General had pulled this off. It was a factory new Mauser K31, the automatic carbine that the Luftwaffe had been refusing to share over the last few months. This one had the factory inspection stamps on the brass disk on the stock but the Luftwaffe stamp was absent. That showed where the General’s friends were. He saw that there was a stack of 30 round magazines, just like with a sub machine guns except curved.

“Hey, everyone!” Horst yelled “The General just sent us a new toy that we get to check out.”

That got everyone’s attention.

Fires a 7.92 x 33K ("Kurz") intermediate cartridge.

Last edited:
Part 32, Chapter 371
Chapter Three Hundred Seventy-One

26th February 1944

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Vladimir realized that should have considered human nature before he started this latest fool’s quest. But what else should he have done? He had the impression from the Orthodox Church and from the soldiers of the Provisional Army that he’d met that they considered him lacking in some way. There were whispers that he would be the second coming of Nicholas the Second. Finally, there were the persistent rumors that there was a potential heir to the Russian Throne with a stronger claim than his out there somewhere. And Vladimir knew that if there was a better option many would take it in a heartbeat. These people didn’t realize that their great European Allies led by Germany were planning on dismembering Russia. They were enjoying a peaceful occupation of Ukraine and Belorussia because the independence movements in those places were getting everything they wanted out of this. When that reality sunk in there would be Hell to pay and if Vladimir’s position wasn’t secure then then he would become the obvious scapegoat.

It had been an attempt to get to the bottom of those rumors that had caused Vladimir’s latest headache. He knew roughly what had happened in British Colombia and it had been confirmed with that movie that had come out a few years earlier. Gunmen coming in shooting, the little girl wounded and fleeing on foot in freezing temperatures as weather closed in. It made for a bleak ending of the movie, the girl dying in the snow. Fading out with warmth and safety just beyond reach. So, by his own estimation it would have been someone in the buildings who survived. That meant Olga or Tatiana. Knowing his sister, if Kira really had smuggled one of them into Germany then she would do something clever to hide the surviving Nikolaevna sister where no one would think to look.

Vladimir had learned of several Russian women who had been prisoners of war and had been wounded in combat. Kira had secretly sponsored their medical care and rehabilitation. To him that seemed like a good place to start. He had dispatched a few trusted officers of the Provisional Army to investigate and that was where he encountered the first of several snags.

One of the officers had gotten himself killed when the subject he was investigating had turned out to be violently unstable. Another had given up and told Vladimir that he should too. That man had then gone back to the Pioneer Corps, something else he had suggested that Vladimir do as well. It was the understanding that the Germans were allowing the Provisional Army to do railroad and construction work with the Pioneer Corps so that they wouldn’t have to fight their fellow countrymen and they were building for a postwar Russia. Vladimir knew the real reason was that they weren’t trusted and certainly weren’t considered equals. He had no desire to be a part of that.

It was the third officer though who was causing the most trouble. Senior Captain Petrov had fallen in love with one of the women he was investigating. She was way too young to be one of the Nikolaevna sisters but worse of all this Nika Utkin was close friends with Gianna Strobel, a close relative of Kira’s pet lunatic. The last thing on Earth Vladimir needed was that redheaded harpy backed by a Company of Paras here demanding to know what he was up to. Even if the Freiin had once saved his life he had no doubt that she would pull the trigger on him if ordered to.

Berlin

It was the first time that everyone had been sitting around the table for a proper family meal in years. Hans had been on the front and Kat had been off doing whatever she was doing. Most nights in had been Marcella and Klaus with Gianna around depending on the circumstances. Marcella was happy that everyone was finally under the same roof again in what had been entirely too long.

Kat was quiet all meal. It was the sort of quiet that had Hans worried. While she never had been the most verbose and outgoing person he’d known, somewhere along the line she had picked up the air of someone who had seen too much and was growing less attached to the concerns of the world. After dinner, he found her sitting on the back porch staring at Aunt Marcella’s garden. There was some snow but most of it was bare ground that was visible in the yellow porch light.

“It doesn’t look any better the longer you stare at it” Hans said.

“I was just thinking about how Marcella had me work on the garden after the Reichstag blew up” Kat said, “Things were simpler then.”

Hans just shrugged. “You can’t go back to how it was then” He said, “And if I recall you weren’t exactly doing too well at that point.” He could have put the word “either” at the end of that.

“I’m just tired of being Freiherrin Katherine” Kat said, “It’s just as much of an act as anything that Gerta does. I’ve never been that person and I’m really starting to hate her.”

“Then don’t” Hans said.

“But it’s what people expect” Kat said.

That really surprised Hans, Kat had always been willing to throw herself into the middle of things and take insane chances. She had basically just said that she had done it because of other people’s expectations.

“As I said before” Hans said, “This person you think you need to be, stop being her, be selfish and look only to your own self-interest for once.”

“If only it were that simple” Kat said. The 28th Regiment was going into the field and she was expected to go along with them.

Last edited:
Fires a 7.92 x 33K ("Kurz") intermediate cartridge.

The Mauser G/K31, Gewehr 31 and Karabiner 31 respectively are essentially the same rifle except the carbine version has a shorter barrel and folding stock. The FN33 is the substitute standard for the German Army as well as the standard rifle for most of Europe ITTL. Both use the same magazines and the DFW 7.92 x 38K cartridge.

26th February 1944

Saint Petersburg, Russia

It was the third officer though who was causing the most trouble. Senior Captain Petrov had fallen in love with one of the women he was investigating. She was way too young to be one of the Romanova sisters but worse of all this Nika Utkin was close friends with Gianna Strobel, a close relative of Kira’s pet lunatic. The last thing of Earth Vladimir needed was that redheaded harpy backed by a Company of Paras here demanding to know what he was up to. Even if the Freiin had once saved his life he had no doubt that she would pull the trigger on him if ordered to.

"If ordered to?" She'd do it because he made Gianna unhappy.
Petrov's gonna have some fancy explaining to do when his ties to Vladimir come to light.

This is not going to end well.