I think that football (soccer) like baseball IOTL United States during the war was continued as a morale booster for the war workers.
But instead of the regular teams maybe the teams are sponsored by various units of the armed forces and the players are in the military Special Services like OTL athletes like Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg and others.

I think that football (soccer) like baseball IOTL United States during the war was continued as a morale booster for the war workers.
But instead of the regular teams maybe the teams are sponsored by various units of the armed forces and the players are in the military Special Services like OTL athletes like Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg and others.

I think the team sponsered by the Hellcats will win it all this year what do you guys think?

I don't think so. Most football clubs in germany, especially in the Rhein-Ruhr area, were founded by workers at the start of the century. So teams like Schalke or Borussia Dortmund etc. do exist in this TL.

My thinking on Germany ITTL is that it is as if OTL America that went on war footing almost immediately was also in actual danger of being overrun by Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany.

I did a quick look up on football in Germany and I was surprised that there was not a national league until 1962, but there was regional leagues instead.
I could see the top flight players either volunteering or being drafted into the armed services almost immediately and playing at first pick up games between other units on post or base on Sundays, then it will evolve to units trying to get the best players possible assigned to them.

As the German people are being asked to make enormous sacrifices, I can see that the government will look at how the various armed services teams are being a morale booster for the troops and it will have the matches at first be open to the public, then start playing in stadiums with the admission money going to war relief.

Now with television in the bars and other public spaces this will allow the people to watch the best players on an unprecedented scale, there will be a need for a more formal national structure to things like scheduling, where the teams play, and what teams can play in this new national football league.

As for the teams themselves, I could see the 1st Foot Guards sponsoring a team in Berlin, the KLM Supply Depot in Kiel, different Landwehr units across Germany having teams but I don't see the SKA having a team as while it will attract the best athletes but it will take pride that it is a real fighting unit and not some REMF glamour unit.

Having the logistics and other support troops be involved can help bring awareness to these vital but oft overlooked troops :)

Max Schmelling--where is he? And Joe Louis?

Having the logistics and other support troops be involved can help bring awareness to these vital but oft overlooked troops :)

Not just vital, absolutely essential. The Germans know that, witness the million-man(?) Pioneer Army building infrastructure just barely in the wake of the combat forces. I'm sure lots of EKs and Merit Crosses are being issued to them.

For a description of how vital, look here: a Guide to Logistics

Not just vital, absolutely essential. The Germans know that, witness the million-man(?) Pioneer Army building infrastructure just barely in the wake of the combat forces. I'm sure lots of EKs and Merit Crosses are being issued to them.

For a description of how vital, look here: a Guide to Logistics

I know that, without their skill and muscle, not a single wheel can turn, but it would be great if the public knew as well.

I don't think so. Most football clubs in germany, especially in the Rhein-Ruhr area, were founded by workers at the start of the century. So teams like Schalke or Borussia Dortmund etc. do exist in this TL.

This correct, a lot factorys and other organisations had their own football teams.

Part 32, Chapter 372
Chapter Three Hundred Seventy-Two

20th March 1944

In transit, rural Poland

Hans leave had ended just in time, after a few weeks at home he was getting bored out of his skull. His Aunt and Uncle along with Gianna were there to see him off at the train station. Aunt Marcella had apologized for Kat, no one knew where Kat had gone off to but they were sure she would be here if she could. Hans hadn’t told them that he had said his goodbyes to Kat two weeks earlier when she had left to go east herself. Her Regiment had been sent in its entirety to Russia and it was supposed to be in secret but Kat had told Hans what was going on. He suspected that she just didn’t want to feel so alone as that was happening and he was one of the few people who knew the real her, not what she called the character she played.

Aunt Marcella had packed him a meal for the first night of the ride as well as a package of things that would be useful in the field. By now Marcella was an old hand at this and Hans, Kat and even Gianna were her children as far as she was concerned, so she wanted to do everything she could for them. With that Hans had settled in for the long train ride back to the front.

The next morning, he had woken up to the train pulling in to Warsaw. The Polish city seemed to be festooned with red and white flags. Hans suspected that it had something to do the current direction of the war. The Poles would probably never have share a border with Russia again and were understandably happy about that. Poland was mostly independent, with its own elected government and army. The only real connection was that the King of Poland happened to be the German Emperor. It was an arrangement that suited everyone and in recent years the current Emperor was taking his role in Poland a lot more seriously than his father had.

Hans had woken up just long enough to see several more passengers board the train before falling asleep again. A couple hours later he woke up for good this time and was just staring out the window.

“You’re Kat Mischner’s bother Hans, aren’t you” A voice asked.

Hans looked over and saw it was a young woman with dark hair wearing a Luftwaffe uniform. He remembered she was a friend of his sister’s but struggled to remember her name drawing a blank.

“Yes” Hans said cautiously.

“Oh, that’s good” She said in response, “I was just telling Hilde that was who I thought you were.”

Hans looked past the woman and saw her friend who he presumed was Hilde. Hinde had a fleshy chin, sandy blond hair and Hans couldn’t help but notice that her midsection was putting a bit of strain on the buttons of her tunic. Someone needs to cut down on the sweets and put in some exercise, he thought to himself.

“Have you seen Kat recently?” The dark-haired woman asked, bringing Hans attention back to her, “What happened in October was such an awful mess and I’ve not had a chance to see her since then. Does that make me a horrible friend?”

Hans had been neck deep in the leadup to the battle that was fought around Stalingrad in October so he hadn’t heard about what may have happened.

“For starters, what is your name?” Hans asked, “Second of all, what about October?”

“It’s Helene and that whole business with the attempted coup, we sort of got caught up in the middle of that.”

“Like how caught up?” Hans asked.

“Gerta and I were there talking to Kat about the television show that Gerta is in. That was when this Oberstlieutenant named Staller who brought some goons in with him to Kat’s office to illegally arrest her” Helene said, “When he grabbed her, she broke his arm and leg. Then she grabbed this machine gun she kept under her desk…”

That explained a thing or two about what had been eating Kat when he’d seen her last. She had gotten into a gunfight in a space the size of an elevator with two of her closest friends safety to be concerned with. If it was the same Staller that Hans had encountered last year then he had doubtless gotten what he’d deserved. But still, Kat had been left very much alone after that which had been compounded by getting shuffled off to England to process those events surrounded by strangers and then her CO who was an old friend of hers had gotten killed…

“Are you even listening to me?” Helene asked snapping Hans back into the present.

“I’m sorry” Hans said, “I’ve just got a full plate is all.”

“I understand” Helene said, “My father does the same thing.”

“Really?” Hans asked.

“Yeah” Helene said, “He’s planning this air offensive like the one he did in Spain and it’s like he’s on a different planet most of the time.”

Planning an air offensive? Spain? That set off alarm bells in Hans’ head. “Just who is your father anyway?” He asked.

“Manfred von Richthofen” Helene said like if that was no big deal.

“The Generalfeldmarschall?” Hans asked with the same tone he might have used if a grenade had just flown into the railcar.

“Yes” Helene said, “I don’t get why men always get so excited when they hear that.”

“Because he could have me shot just for talking to you” Hans replied.

“Don’t be silly” Helene said dismissively, “They are having us work air traffic control from an airfield in a place called Kursk. Do you know where that is?”

Hans paused, surprised by the abrupt change in the conversation. “I’ve passed through there a couple times” He said cautiously.

Last edited:
“Gerta and I were there talking to Kat about the television show that Gerta is in. That was when this Oberstlieutenant named Staller who brought some goons in with him to Kat’s office to illegally arrest her” Helene said, “When he grabbed her, she broke his arm and leg. Then she grabbed this machine gun she kept under her desk…”

“Don’t be silly” Helene said dismissively, “They are having us work air traffic control from an airfield in a place called Kursk. Do you know where that is?”

Hans paused, surprised by the abrupt change in the conversation. “I’ve passed through there a couple times” He said cautiously.

I believe the operative word for Hans's mental state right now is somewhere between being nonplussed, having obscene amounts of pride, and wanting to personally disembowel Staller.

Also re: Kursk, definitely not Hans's favorite place in the world.

I believe the operative word for Hans's mental state right now is somewhere between being nonplussed, having obscene amounts of pride, and wanting to personally disembowel Staller.

Also re: Kursk, definitely not Hans's favorite place in the world.

No need for Hans to disembowel Staller. Kat already gave him a crippling beatdown. He's probably since been executed for his crimes, and is likely mounted in her country home. Maybe a nice, full body mount in the entryway, arms out to act as a coatrack

I know that, without their skill and muscle, not a single wheel can turn, but it would be great if the public knew as well.

Leni Riefenstahl: The War Documentaries
The Cutting Edge - The SKA and Katherine von Mischner
An Army Marches on its Stomach - From the Farm to the Front Line
Hammer and Tongs - Blacksmiths, Veterinarians and Those Big Beautiful Horses
Fletchings - Making an Airplane
Fledglings - Making a Pilot
Iron Horses - The Railroaders
Schleppers - Combat Supply
Yeah, We Can Build That - Pioneers
Bandages and Courage - Frontline Medics
Row Your Boat - Supply on Riverboats

Infantry - Queen of Battle
Artillery - King of Battle
Armored Troops - Modern Cavalry

(Protecting Us All - Air Defense with Helene von Richtofen - witheld for five years by the Luftwaffe)

Last edited:
Part 32, Chapter 373
Chapter Three Hundred Seventy-Three

3rd April 1944

Near Voronezh, Russia

There were two Divisions in the muddy field, this was what passed for entertainment while they were waiting to get back into the war. The two men were each representing their respective Division in a boxing match that was taking place in the ring that the Pioneer Division had set up. Unteroffizer Max Schmeling was there as the corner man, he was regarded as a ringer in 71st Pioneer Division, so he couldn’t go into the ring himself. Not that Ivan was much better. The Russian, at the age of 20 was already a monster in the ring. Then again so was the Panzer Loader who he was fighting today. To be a loader involved feeding the big guns on those beasts, they tended to be built as a result but there were limitations on how tall they could be.

Getting Ivan’s attention, Max yelled at the Russian over the crowd. “Remember the plan, you got him reach on him, use that!” Ivan nodded but Max would have to see what happened when the fight resumed. All thoughts of strategy seemed to leave Ivan’s head the instant the first punch was thrown.

The bell rang. “Go get ‘em!” Max yelled. Ivan smiled at that. The damned Russian was having fun doing this. Max looked over and saw the Loader looked weary and his eyebrow was already split. He knew that instant that his side was going to win this.

The crowd roared as the two boxers met in the center of the ring.

4th April 1944

Near Lebyodki, Oryol Oblast, Russia

It was in the early morning hours and Unterfeldwebel Eberhard Hasenkamp realized that he was completely fucked. The radio message that they had received had directed them into an isolated area where away from the roads. His hope was that they had something clever planned but it didn’t look like that was about to happen. His team had trackers close on their heels, no more than an hour behind. It was only a matter of time before the Russians hit them with artillery to slow them down long enough for the infantry to catch up and cut them to pieces.

They had been warned of these tactics before they had even left Judenbach but actually countering them in the field had proven difficult. Now it was looking like they would be briefly mentioned during the Sunday toast of the missing and fallen comrades. It was the curse of the SKA, they complete their mission only to find themselves far from friendly territory surrounded by an alerted enemy. Hasenkamp was wallowing in his misfortune when one of his team pointed across the field. “What is that” he asked.

Hasenkamp saw a flash of light, followed a second later by another. “Wait here” He said as he stepped forward, no point in all of them getting killed. He walked forward and saw that it was unbelievably a Company of the 28th Regiment in the predawn light.

“Where is the rest of your team?” Staber Schafer asked.

“Back across the field” Hasenkamp said.

“Then get them over here” Schafer said, “We’ve already been waiting for you for the last couple hours.”

“What is all this?” Hasenkamp asked.

“Don’t worry about that” Schafer said, “How close are the trackers?”

“I don’t know, an hour by my guess.”

“Perfect” Schafer said, “We got a little surprise planned for them.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Iosif Niloleav was still looking for the traces of the German saboteurs that had passed through. Bent blades of grass, foot prints or a host of other disturbances. Some of them were good evading a team such as Iosif’s. Others were obviously city types who tried to use the endurance that they trained for to outpace those tracking them both those tactics had worked in the past, sometimes they got away, other times they got killed. There was an ethos among these German teams that made them extremely difficult to take alive. Not that the Siberians tracking them really cared.

The team he was currently tracking was somewhere in between those two extremes. They had derailed a train near an important rail junction then fled. That was when they had made a curious turn, instead of heading towards friendly territory they had gone north and east. Probably lost, Iosif thought to himself.

That was when Iosif and his men blundered into a field of S-Mines that wasn’t supposed to be there.

Voronezh, Russia

Kat smiled when she read the after-action report. Shafer’s team had retrieved the field team and returned to base but not before leaving several dozen anti-personnel mines for the Siberians to trip over. The field team had deployed before the helicopters had become ready, so it had come as a surprise for them to be picked up and brought back without as much fuss as attempting to extract them with an airplane would have been. Still it had seemed wise to run the helicopters at night. The Vampire system that had originally been developed as a rifle scope of all things had proven to be a godsend. Kat had a hard time picturing that system used as intended. The weight of the batteries would be a deal breaker as far as most snipers that Kat knew were concerned. With the ability to see in even the darkest of nights they could spring more of these delightful surprises on the Soviets.

Last edited:
The words hope unlocked for come to mind for the team and "SUCKERS!" for the dead Siberians.

Night vision and helicopter commando extraction in WWII. It just gets worse for the Reds.

The Vampire system that had originally been developed as a rifle scope of all things had proven to be a godsend. Kat had a hard time picturing that system used as intended. The weight of the batteries would be a deal breaker as far as most snipers that Kat knew were concerned. With the ability to see in even the darkest of nights they could spring more of these delightful surprises on the Soviets.

Night vision + helicopters = commando insertion and extraction, night artillery spotting, stealth sowing of S-mines or caltrops on roads.
Night vision + helicopters + rockets = blacked-out supply dump elimination, actually blacked-out anything elimination like headquarters, artillery parks, truck parks.

Actually, after a while just flying the helicopters around at night will stir things admirably.
"Where are they?"
"They're over there!"
bang, bang, bang
"Oops, just shot Grigory!"

Night vision + helicopters = commando insertion and extraction, night artillery spotting, stealth sowing of S-mines or caltrops on roads.
Night vision + helicopters + rockets = blacked-out supply dump elimination, actually blacked-out anything elimination like headquarters, artillery parks, truck parks.

Actually, after a while just flying the helicopters around at night will stir things admirably.
"Where are they?"
"They're over there!"
bang, bang, bang
"Oops, just shot Grigory!"
. . .If you think in how superstitious are some Russians, no matter Communism, you can imagine the endless amount of tales and other stuff that will rise as the SKA starts raising hell during the nights everywhere. That will give an entirely new and chillingly unpleasant spin to the "Hellcats" nickname for the common Russian grunt , for not talk of the Siberians.

. . .I suspect that Kat would coordinate with the Luftwaffe in order to make concide as many of their Heli flights with the passing of Nocturnal Bombarding or Fighter Squadrons. While the night conditions are in this period a decent cover, nobody died for additional precautions, and having the sound of passing Air Squadrons would further mask their Helis's flight.

. . .If you think in how superstitious are some Russians, no matter Communism, you can imagine the endless amount of tales and other stuff that will rise as the SKA starts raising hell during the nights everywhere. That will give an entirely new and chillingly unpleasant spin to the "Hellcats" nickname for the common Russian grunt , for not talk of the Siberians.

. . .I suspect that Kat would coordinate with the Luftwaffe in order to make concide as many of their Heli flights with the passing of Nocturnal Bombarding or Fighter Squadrons. While the night conditions are in this period a decent cover, nobody died for additional precautions, and having the sound of passing Air Squadrons would further mask their Helis's flight.

I just thought of something else: helicopter + night vision + rockets = target marking for night bombers. Too much of this night stuff and they'd better paint the helos black. The 'Black Kats.'

Last edited:
I just thought of something else: helicopter + night vision + rockets = target marking for night bombers. Too much of this night stuff and they'd better paint the helos black. The 'Black Kats.'

Dark grey would probably be better but that is a good point. What a happy coincidence that German Aircraft from this era are painted dark green and dark grey. :)