When this war is over the Germans will have millions of POWs to repatriate back to Russia, large numbers of whom have been in the Pioneer Corps. There will be some who have no one or nowhere to which to return, or just don't want to go back. I think there's an opportunity for a public-private partnership company that can do large construction projects using ex-POWs and ex-Pioneeren, and all the German equipment that'll be surplus - kinda like Bechtel.

"Yeah, it'll cost money but we can bring the people, equipment and experience to the job and get it done quickly in almost any conditions."

Is there anything like the Panzerlied for the Pioneers?

Edit: this is described as "German WW1 and WW2 Military Song. It originated during The Great War (1914-1918) and remained popular during World War Two as well. It is mainly a pioneer's song."
There's also this titled "Argonnerwald um Mitternacht (Pionierlied) Alt&Neu - Deutsches Kaiserreich"

Last edited:
Mr. Peabody-Martini, you are an excellent writer. To me, you are the best writer on this board.

I was very recently laid off from my job and reading your timeline has brought me so much joy and has really been a great uplift to my spirits. Thank you so very much for that.

I also want to thank all the other posters that have followed this great story and posted great thought provoking comments and discussion. Thank you all so so very much.
This is a masterpiece.

Mr. Peabody-Martini, you are an excellent writer. To me, you are the best writer on this board.

I was very recently laid off from my job and reading your timeline has brought me so much joy and has really been a great uplift to my spirits. Thank you so very much for that.

I also want to thank all the other posters that have followed this great story and posted great thought provoking comments and discussion. Thank you all so so very much.
This is a masterpiece.
Good luck in finding a new job! I know from personal experience how much that sucks.

Good luck in finding a new job! I know from personal experience how much that sucks.

Thank you! I'm a respiratory therapist and hospitals are ALWAYS hiring new ones, so I'll get another eventually.

Or.... Hey Peabody, are there any openings for the next training class at Judenbach? I hear they could use a new sniper and I can hit a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 350 meters with my Mauser 98k with open sights. But I don't think I'd like being tracked by Siberian hunters and artillery though. Put in a good word for me with Kat? ;)

Part 32, Chapter 369
Chapter Three Hundred Sixty-Nine

17th February 1944

Judenbach

It had been discovered that the best view in the helicopter aside from the cockpit was at the back bulkhead which offered the best view out either of the two doors. It was also seen as most vulnerable to ground fire. That was laughable considering that the doped fabric of the fuselage didn’t exactly offer more protection. It was generally excepted that it had more to do with not wanting to admit to being scared of heights.

Somewhere along the line plugs had been installed that allowed the passengers to talk to the pilot, co-pilot and listen to the radio net. Kat had unplugged the headphones and unclipped the safety harness to move to the front of the cabin as the camera crew took her place in the door. They were filming as the Hellcats were practicing a live fire exercise and small unit tactics. After a while the show ended and the helicopter landed in the parade ground. Leaving the film crew in the helicopter Kat walked towards the mess hall. She was thinking about how Aunt Marcella had called and asked when her next weekend was because Hans was back in town and Marcella really wanted to get everyone together because she didn’t know when such an opportunity would come again. Kat was still under the dictate of Doctor Holz, if she was going to engage in strenuous training then she couldn’t skip meals, ever.

That was why Kat was eating her lunch when Leni caught up with her. She watched as Matthias walked in turned on his heel and walked back out. Some friend Kat thought to herself. Leni had a thing for young muscular men, which Matthias definitely was. On the first day of filming Leni had seen the Jäger Oberfeld with his shirt off while the Regiment was doing morning calisthenics, cold be damned. Since then he’d been a bit of a favorite of hers.

“You’ve been extremely busy, Major” Leni said, “This is the first chance I’ve had to interview you. I understand that your friends call you Katze? Do you mind if I call you that?”

“I can’t stop you” Kat said off handedly as she glanced over and saw that the camera was rolling. Kat had to remind herself that she had told Oberst Koch that she wouldn’t create a scene.

“Good” Leni said with a smile, “I’ve a few questions for you.”

It looked like Kat had no choice here. The faster she answered the questions the sooner she’d no longer have to deal with Leni.

“Alright” Kat said.

“How is it to be a woman in a not only a male dominated profession but an elite unit as an officer?” Leni asked.

Kat thought about the answer. What was she supposed to say?

Berlin

Hans had discovered that life had gone on in his absence. Aunt Marcella and Uncle Klaus were both busy at work. Gianna seemed to spend most of her spare time focusing on her studies which were spread out on the kitchen table. Her school had no doubt that she was headed for University and were piling advanced studies on her to prepare her for that. Hans had been at loose ends since he’d gotten back to Heinersdorf. He found that he had trouble sleeping in the too comfortable bed in the guest room, it was also formerly Kat’s bedroom which added to the level of discomfort. All through adolescence he had been forbidden from touching the doorknob of that room if the door was closed. Kat had always been extremely protective of her privacy.

This afternoon Klaus had called and asked him if he wanted to get out of the house for a few hours. Hans couldn’t think of anything better to do so he agreed and went to meet Klaus at the machine shop wearing his dress uniform. He hadn’t anticipated the reaction that he would get when he got there.

The swing shift was just getting ready to start and Hans found a bevy of young women gossiping around the timeclock. They took one look at Hans and there was a great deal of giggling.

“You had to wear that damn uniform Hans?” Klaus demanded as he clocked off and walked towards the loading bay, “That lot won’t get anything done this evening because you did that.”

“Sorry” Hans said as he followed Klaus down the street, “Had I known I might have…”

“Nonsense” Klaus said, “At the Local you’ll get a free beer or two, they always love a returning hero.”

Hans smiled at the thought that he was a hero.

“So, what are you working on these days?” Hans asked.

“Jewel bearings and other parts for aircraft instruments” Klaus said.

“That’s what those women are doing back there?”

“Yeah” Klaus said, “Trained all of them myself, turned out they were a good bunch of apprentices.”

Something else that had changed while he was away.

They walked around the corner and they saw a plain brick building. The stained oak door and windows that no one had been able to see out of in years were exactly as Hans remembered it.

Klaus was greeted as soon as he came in by the regulars. It took them a few minutes to recognize Hans. The interior also looked and smelled exactly the same, dark wood and green paint.

The bartender looked across the bar suspiciously at Hans, this place wasn’t exactly friendly to people from outside the neighborhood.

“My God, Hans” The Bartender said, “It’s been a dog’s age since you’ve been around. How the Hell did you get made a Lieutenant?”

“Happy to see you too, Gert” Hans said, “Long story, got a beer?”

“Lot of long stories around of late” Gert said as he poured Hans a beer, “Starting to remind me of the old days.”

Everyone knew that Gert had been in the Marne during the last big war. As Gert handed Hans the glass a flickering light in the corner caught his eye and he saw a man kicking a ball on a screen then it panned back. Hans realized he was looking at a football game.

“What is that?” Hans asked.

“You really have been away haven’t you” Gert said, “The latest thing, like radio with pictures.”

“That’s happening, right now?” Hans asked.

“Yep” Gert said.

“Who’s playing tonight?” Klaus asked.

Last edited:
Oh.. This is going to be an gold mine for Bars. Football is a Major Thing in Germany. You don't stay dry in a bar when a important game is played, you come early to get a good seat, and stay late for after game analyse, drinking all the time.

Maybe Tilo will bring rock-paper-scissors (rochambo) back from China, or is it already known?
{googles}
Oh, well. From the wiki "The Paper Scissors Stone Club was founded in London, England in 1842."

Last edited:
“How is it to be a woman in a not only a male dominated profession but an elite unit as an officer?” Leni asked.

Kat thought about the answer. What was she supposed to say?
Leni Riefenstahl just pulled a power move on Kat which may be a psychological trick to goad Kat to be the main subject of the film.

Thing is, "The Triumph of The Will" is a description of Kat's career.

"Everybody here knows who I am and what I do. I guess I don't understand the question,"

I got a sense of dread reading about Gianna and Nika, somehow the long reach of Stalin or Cousin Vladimir may be up to no good.

Me, too, although he's delusional if he thinks he can get away afterward. Maybe he tries something and Gianna thwarts him (does she carry her kerambit around)?

Thing is, "The Triumph of The Will" is a description of Kat's career.

"Everybody here knows who I am and what I do. I guess I don't understand the question,"
I wonder if in this timeline that Leni won't do her African piece with the Nuba of the South Sudan, but in a German African colony.

Me, too, although he's delusional if he thinks he can get away afterward. Maybe he tries something and Gianna thwarts him (does she carry her kerambit around)?
As things go, its highly likely that Vladimir's closest entourage it has at least one or more Abwehr operatives, and they are reporting directly to Louis Ferdinand AND Kira 24/7.

Even if the Empress loves her sibling, the cold fact is that he killed any remaining trust or chances of support from the German Royal House when he had the sheer gall of daring to make a deal with the bastard that was the direct architect of the massacre of the Romanov AND the Assassination attempt in his own Sister and her children.

Vladimir it hit Strike One AND Two already with his dealings with Beria. Add that he supposedly DOESN'T knows about Gianna's real identity, but if he knows and he DARES to pull something else, the sad truth will be that Kira would cry bitter tears for the child that her brother once was, then give the go ahead to the Abwehr to end the menace that he had become as a man.

I wonder if in this timeline that Leni won't do her African piece with the Nuba of the South Sudan, but in a German African colony.

I've forgotten what the status of the German African colonies ITTL. They did get their Pacific holdings back from the Japanese, right?

The 3rd Marine Division had entered Nanning and found the city largely abandoned. The small Japanese garrison had stood and fought, a brave but stupid action. What had happened next was right out of the Napoleonic Wars with the Marines playing role of the British. Either accident or design an extremely large store of Japanese rice wine had been left in Nanning. By the time the Brass had caught up with the Division the vast majority were too drunk to pursue any remaining Japanese units in the area.

Giggle. What do you expect - they're Marines!

Until the Brass sorted things out the 3rd Division’s Recon Regiment got to wait in frustration while the Japanese Army regrouped in the North. Tilo had already thoroughly explored Nanning. To him it wasn’t as interesting as Saigon or even Hanoi had been. The small city seemed to define the word provincial. He ended up trying to find a book to read and had to settle for a dogeared omnibus edition of Erich Remarque’s Great War Trilogy. Reier was in the complicated negotiations the hold a card game. When, where and with who’s deck of cards? That meant that Tilo got the tent to himself this afternoon.

He’d read the book, or books, before but had realized that he didn’t really understand it before. The first book, Nothing New in the West, detailed the black comedy of life in the trenches. The second, Love, Death and Revolution, was about how Remarque’s antihero from the previous book, Paul Bäumer, getting caught up in the Spring Revolution while his personal life spins out of control. The Third and final book, simply titled Echoes, starts as the Heer mobilized for Spain. Paul, having settled into a peaceful life watches uncomfortably as the nation was caught up in the patriotism of the moment. He then spends the rest of the novel dealing with the questions and consequences of his involvement in the Great War.

Tilo had to question whether or not he was looking at an odd version of his present and future here?
Hans hauled himself to his feet as the battle shifted elsewhere. The car that belonged to the new Oberst pulled up and the Oberst got out, the old Oberst was said to have be sent back to a staff position. In Hans opinion, the man was sniper bait not that the Oberst seemed to care. Brave to a fault would be the term used. With a handle like Claus Graf von Stauffenberg, Hans could practically smell the weight of suicidal family expectations and cobwebs.

Hah! Tilo is going to write the definitive novel of the Pacific War isn't he?

Tilo may be wondering which is an alternate timeline - the one he's living in or the one Erich Remarque described. He could write a definitive novel of the Pacific War, then at least one Alternate History - the easiest POD would be that the KLM didn't sink the cruiser carrying the American Ambassador and the US didn't enter the war, with the possible wrinkle that the Heer bagged almost all of the BEF.

I've forgotten what the status of the German African colonies ITTL. They did get their Pacific holdings back from the Japanese, right?
They still had Kameroon, Tanginika and South West Africa. Leni's photo's and film of the Nuba people certainly included a lot of very well endowed, very well muscled young men. Quite surprising for someone so closely associated with the Nazi's in OTL.

They still had Kameroon, Tanginika and South West Africa. Leni's photo's and film of the Nuba people certainly included a lot of very well endowed, very well muscled young men. Quite surprising for someone so closely associated with the Nazi's in OTL.

So "a hunk is a hunk regardless of color?":cool:

The German Colonies in Africa were lost as part of the negotiations to end the Great War ITTL, by this point the British and French are discovering that they didn't get the better part of that deal. The Germans got West Samoa back from New Zealand and Tsingtao back from the Japanese but couldn't get the Marshal Islands back.

The German Colonies in Africa were lost as part of the negotiations to end the Great War ITTL, by this point the British and French are discovering that they didn't get the better part of that deal. The Germans got West Samoa back from New Zealand and Tsingtao back from the Japanese but couldn't get the Marshal Islands back.

Thanks for posting that. I still wasn't sure exactly what the Germans held in the Pacific.

Part 32, Chapter 370
Chapter Three Hundred Seventy

21st February 1944

Berlin

Augustus Lang was sitting in his office reading the latest reports. The content of some of them made the old revolutionary in him howl in protest, they seemed to confirm the most cynical thoughts on war. In the wake of the successful campaign in Vietnam the Imperial Court in Hue wanted to induct Emperor Louis Ferdinand and Admiral Jacob von Schmidt into the Imperial Order of the Dragon of Annam in appreciation for their aid in defending Vietnam from Japanese aggression. Along with that was the offer of Vietnamese resources and what would eventually become a lucrative consumer market for German goods in the model of South America and Australia.

It was exactly the sort of thing that Lang railed against as a younger man. Now two decades later he knew that no government could do anything out of the goodness of its heart. Not if it wanted to stay in power. Everything and everyone had an angle right on down to the common man on the street asking for relief from the wartime taxes and shortages at this very moment.

Lang thought about the offer from Vietnam, that would require Louis to go to the far east for a State visit. He would need to visit China as well which couldn’t happen while the war was on. That delayed things a bit but there were some excellent possibilities for long term diplomacy there and the Emperor was quite good at that sort of thing.

Lang flipped to the next report. Field Marshal Manfred von Wolvogle was convening a special planning session with the Commanders of the Army Groups. They were planning the final offensive against Moscow to be launched in late spring or early summer. For obvious reasons, the location of that meeting was being kept confidential. In a letter addressed to Lang himself Wolvogle had stated his position in the blunt way he was famous for. He could take the damned city but the politicians had better have a plan for what came afterwards. Because Wolvogle would be angry if he won the war only to have that victory get pissed away. The truth was that Lang found that to be a perfectly reasonable position.

Judenbach

A few hours after the Lorries carrying the film crew left. The Regiment could go back to doing what they had been planning on doing before the film crew had imposed a two-week delay on operations. Kat had been tasked by Thorwald to come up with tactics around the new helicopters. She had immediately seem the possibilities for medical evacuation and resupply but there was something else that she wanted to try that she didn’t want the film crew to see much less get on film.

As soon as the spring thaw began the entire Front in the east would grind to a halt as the roads became impassible to wheeled transport and tracked vehicles were insufficient in number to keep things moving. The helicopters were not affected by that. This gave the SCA the ability to carry out their mission of reconnaissance and sabotage while sidestepping what had been their greatest weakness, extraction. There was also the possibility that they could get entire Companies into places where they were not expected to be. Kat heard the engines of the helicopters starting as she ran towards them. When she boarded she saw that the squad was already strapped in. It was going to be a fun afternoon.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The exercise involved a Bavarian Landwehr Regiment that had not been clued in on what was coming their way. They had only been told that they could expect an attack from unnamed opposition. They would be in simulated combat firing blanks against an “enemy” that would be doing likewise. Afterwards there would be arguments between the various Commanders about who actually “won” and they would go back to barracks forgetting about this farce by dinnertime.

It was when they found jet aircraft shrieking over their heads and flour bombs exploding around them that things were out of the ordinary. Before they could respond the air was filled with a chopping noise, the tearing cloth sound of light machine guns and the clatter of rifles. That was when they found smoke from grenades blowing in their faces. The result was an absolute mess.

The Oberst had blown his stack when he found out that his Regiment had one put over on them by a single Company. Then he had seen who had led the attack…

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Kat saw the Oberst red faced with rage, the vein in his forehead looked like it was about to explode. Yeah, your outfit just got beat by a girl, Kat thought to herself. She saw Matthias flipping shit to the Bavarian soldiers. When this lot got back to barracks they would never hear the end of this. Kat almost felt sorry for them, almost.

This had gone better than she could have imagined. This was a controlled test and she had no doubt that things could not go so well in the field. Still though, this was an unqualified success and the helicopters themselves where like airplanes decades ago. Albatros had told her that the next batch would be even better. The way that the wash from the rotors blew smoke around was something that needed to be added to their bag of tricks. That was the happy discovery of the day. After a few minutes, they boarded the helicopters and flew back to Judenbach. There was a party planned to celebrate this and the departure of the film crew.

Last edited: