Ok, I have to ask, but how the hell did ALL of Ireland become a single nation?

I don't see how any butterfly outside of 1798 could cause that.

Ok, I have to ask, but how the hell did ALL of Ireland become a single nation?

I don't see how any butterfly outside of 1798 could cause that.

ITTL The weapons and munitions that had been stockpiled ahead of the Somme Offensive were captured mostly intact when the BEF was forced to retreat. Most of those weapons "mysteriously" turned up in Ireland in 1917-18. By the time the treaty negotiations started in Paris the BEF had been bled white and the issue of Irish and Vietnamese sovereignty came up Ireland was bleeding, festering sore that the British couldn't get out of fast enough.

ITTL The weapons and munitions that had been stockpiled ahead of the Somme Offensive were captured mostly intact when the BEF was forced to retreat. Most of those weapons "mysteriously" turned up in Ireland in 1917-18. By the time the treaty negotiations started in Paris the BEF had been bled white and the issue of Irish and Vietnamese sovereignty came up Ireland was bleeding, festering sore that the British couldn't get out of fast enough.

So how did Britain handle the imminent political and military mutinies then?

Best case scenario, only the Ulster regiments mutiny. More realistic, the Conservative party implodes during a critical time and many members of the British officer class (senior officers that wouldn't have been easily killed off) also mutinying.

Ireland wasn't a colony to the British, it was as much a part of the UK as Danzig was Germany. France could let Indochina go, but Britain couldn't Ireland. I can maybe see a partitioned Ireland out of this, but not the whole island.

Hey that might mean my family is still in Ireland ITTL. OTL, they fled after the Easter Rising, because they convinced that the British were going to do the usual over-the-top crackdown on Ireland.

Ireland wasn't a colony to the British, it was as much a part of the UK as Danzig was Germany. France could let Indochina go, but Britain couldn't Ireland. I can maybe see a partitioned Ireland out of this, but not the whole island.

I reluctantly have to agree. If Ulster went with the rest of Ireland, there would be an almost immediate, and very bloody, vicious and nasty civil war.

Something else I was wondering, what is the state of British industry? OTL right after WW2, much of it was old, and generally uncompetitive. Couple that with labor problem, and the loss of the captive markets of the colonies, and....

Part 68, Chapter 989
Chapter Nine Hundred Eighty-Nine

5th December 1952

London, England

On a cold winter morning in London it truly felt like the world was coming to an end. At first everyone thought that it was the sort of peasoupers that the City was known for but as the city was cloaked in a yellow-black haze and visibility was reduced to only a few meters. At first there was no reaction but as data started rolling into new central computer of the National Health Service the technicians started looking with alarm at the numbers they were seeing. People were dying by the hundreds every hour over the next four days. When word of this leaked to the BBC the Prime Minister was able to calm the public until a piece of news came over the airwaves that shattered the calm. George the VI, had died of respiratory failure during the night on the of 8th of December.

On the 9th of December the fog finally lifted but the NHS was reporting that nine thousand, possibly more had died as a result of the fog. There was also word that it wasn’t just fog, it had contained sulfur compounds and particulates. It had been coal smoke that people had been breathing and were asphyxiated by. There were strong denials of this, but the British public wasn’t in a mood to listen. The Government, which had been teetering failed a no confidence vote on the 12th of December.

17th December 1952

There were a thousand things that had needed to be taken care of. Kira remembered that she had been advised to start making plans months earlier. Traveling with her children, particularly the three youngest who were not accustomed to this sort of thing had made it a greater ordeal then it needed to be. Arriving in London by airplane had been simple enough, Katherine had just stared out the window the entire flight. Kira had seen that she had seemed distracted, when pressed Katherine had said that she was concerned for her younger sister. The Smog in London had validated many of the things the Elisabeth had been finding in her research. It seemed that the more Elisabeth learned, the worse the agoraphobia became.

That afternoon, the funeral for George the VI was that largest gathering of Royalty in a generation. Not just Europe but from around the world. Somethings were no surprise, Elizabeth, who was about to become the Queen of England had turned to Katherine in grief as soon as they arrived. The two of them having been friends for several years. Other things were to Kira’s total astonishment. Friedrich was spotted by the press speaking with Suga-no-miya, the youngest daughter of the Japanese Emperor in a mixture of Japanese, English and German. Kira knew that they had been playmates during the brief time that a State visit by the Emperor of Japan in Potsdam years earlier. Now she learned that the two of them had been in correspondence with each other ever since.

Friedrich and Suga had also been in contact with the late King along with Kristina. When his personal effects had been gone through, dozens of letters had been found from Suga, Friedrich and Kristina. It seemed that as George’s health had declined, first losing a leg and then his cardiac issues he had found himself increasingly confined and immobile. Reading letters about hiking in the mountains, swimming in a lake or making new friends had brought him joy. It was an incredibly kind thing that the children had done for him.

Kira felt something tug at her dress and she saw that it was Alberta. At four years of age she had been thrust into the limelight as the presumed heir, Kira felt for the little girl. Shy and reclusive, Alberta was hardly cut out for this sort of life. Her younger sister Anne almost completely overshadowing her already, despite being two years younger. It had been Kira’s secret hope that Anne would have been a boy, which would have spared Alberta a great deal of difficulty.

18th December 1952

Belfast, Ireland

“Serves the traitorous bastards right” Grier said to Jack referring to the newspaper article about the Royal funeral and what was being dubbed the Great Smog of London.

While Jack had been unable to get Grier to talk about the specifics of the case. He had been able to get Grier to talk about current events. It was hardly a surprise that Grier had no love for the Government in Dublin, he also didn’t like the one in London either. Jack knew some of the history. Those like Gordon Grier saw what had happened in 1918 as a great betrayal. They had been prepared to fight to keep Ulster as a part of the British Empire, but the Government in London had been unwilling to restart the First World War on their behalf. The white peace that had held for more than a year at that point had been a defeat in all but name for Britain. It had not just been the Ulster that was on the brink. The whole of the British Empire had been in danger of flying apart and because the Treaty of Paris had called for a permanent solution to the Irish problem and Ulster was seen at the time as one tiny corner of the Empire. The Ulster Scots had taken it square in the teeth as a result.

The problem for Jack was that none of that helped with a defense.

Last edited:
The Great Smog is going to kick off an international environmental movement as it is shown that air pollution affects "peasants and kings" equally and the main leader is going to Manfred von Richthofen.

George the VI, had died of respiratory failure during the night on the of 8th of December...

10th December 1952
....That afternoon, the funeral for George the VI
To fast! OTL it took 9 days.

Elizabeth, who was about to become the Queen of England...

...Alberta. At four years of age she had been thrust into the limelight as the Princess of Wales
Elisabeth is queen from the moment her father died and Alberta will never be Princess of Wales unless they abandon male preference primogeniture.

BTW who did Elisabeth married? Phillip like OTL?

I am going to assume the funeral was planned out far in advance and they did not want to have it too close to Christmas.
Princess Alberta should be called the Heiress Presumptive not the Princess of Wales.

If the Colonel was real, then he was the one who ran Johann Schultz.
Denial syndrome at its very finest... don't know if cackle or laugh my ass off that Nancy got the clue several years ago where the entirety of the American Intelligence apparatus hasn't even linked the sheer chain of events from years ago.

In the other foot... In a sense, Tilo has no clue what he pretty much has made Nancy choose to take a choice about her loyalties that will change her life, no?

It looks like Nancy and Tilo have a problem that cannot be reconciled. I wonder how P-M can work his magic on this?

By having the mean supervisor make Nanyc cry, which leads to Tilo mounting his noble Sea-stallion and ride to her rescue while blaring the Badenweiler march from psy-ops speakers.

Part 68, Chapter 990
Chapter Nine Hundred Ninety

23rd December 1952

Washington D.C.

“There is nothing keeping you here” Tilo had said, “You will see that are totally free if you just take the first step.”

Tilo hadn’t said so but he had been begging her to come with him when he had left at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. In the end she had said goodbye to him as he had boarded the plane that would take him back to Germany and forever out of her life. November had ended, and December had begun with Nancy going through the motions of her life right up until she had landed in the George Washington University Hospital suffering from malnourishment and suspected alcohol poisoning. Nancy had managed to talk the Doctor out of referring her to St. Elizabeth’s Psychiatric Hospital by telling him that she had been working too hard and had overindulged at a Christmas party, but she hadn’t been able to stop him from calling her mother. Her mother had decided when she had gotten that call that she was going to spent Christmas with Nancy this year and wasn’t going to accept any excuses as to why she shouldn’t come.

A few days before Christmas Nancy’s mother had arrived in Washington D.C. and unlike the Doctor she had not been fooled for a heartbeat. “You are killing yourself Nancy bit by bit” Her mother said, “It’s obvious to everyone who knows you. Now, what is going on?”

Nancy had told her mother everything after that and she had listened. Everything that had happened in Mexico and the months since. The difficulty she’d been having at work and Tilo’s visit over Thanksgiving.

“You’ve been in love with that boy since you met him in that museum in Berlin” Nancy’s mother said, “I saw it when you got that letter from him when you came back. You are trying convince yourself otherwise and it’s killing you.”

That was not the answer that Nancy was expecting to hear.

“I can’t just run off with him” Nancy said, “Do you have any idea what would happen?”

“I don’t, and I don’t think you do either” Nancy’s mother said, “No one is going to save you Nancy Josephine Jensen, so stop waiting and do something.”

Nancy had not been expecting that.

“I work for the State Department” Nancy said, “I might not be able to come home, I could get arrested.”

Her mother looked at her with a great deal of compassion when she had said that. “When I was a few years younger than you are now it was the Great Depression” She said, “I had married your father and he had the promise of a paying job over the mountains. I had no idea if I would ever get a chance to return home.”

That was how her mother saw it. The choices that Nancy had were the same as the ones she had presented her when she had married Nancy’s father decades earlier. There were huge differences between going from the Spokane Valley to Seattle and the choice that was in front of Nancy. Wasn’t it?

24th December 1952

Kleinburg

Hans, Stefan and Albrecht had made it home for Christmas, that had made it particularly festive this year. Manni was excited about the gift exchange this year, if only because he had his Poppa back. Helene’s daughter Katherine was following her brother around the house reminding Manfred of how Helene had done the same thing with Lothar when they were both little. Doug and Kat’s twins were still to small for that. A young woman who worked for them was making sure that the twins stayed out of trouble. Manfred had not realized how he had missed having children in the house over the holidays until they were here.

The Graf had been a touch apprehensive about the youngest of the Mischner brothers being present at Christmas Dinner but when Manfred had met Stefan, he had seen the Lieutenant’s uniform, new EK-2, Federal merit cross in silver and Mexican victory medal and he figured that the boy would be welcome in his house. It was a bit of a relief that of the Mischner brothers that Manfred had met, Stefan was probably the smarter of the two. He also had learned that Stefan was courting Walter von Horst’s daughter, while he wasn’t stupid he apparently had more balls then sense. Typical of the Mischner family.

On the other hand, Manfred was unsure how to react to Albrecht. His son had flown combat missions and had apparently acquitted himself well and had been repeatedly decorated for bravery, but he had done it flying off an aircraft carrier in the Navy. He was proud of his son’s accomplishments but the other factors, like family history kept him from saying so. Over the prior week Käte had tried to fix Albrecht up with girl from one of the leading families in Silesia. He’d been polite but by the end of the day both Albrecht and the girl had gone their separate ways. Manfred could have warned Käte that would happen. Albrecht had no interest in anyone he couldn’t talk to and having earned a Doctorate in Computer Science Albrecht had a bad habit of talking over people’s heads.

Then, over dinner Albrecht had started talking with Ilse. That wouldn’t do at all from Manfred’s perspective. And if Manfred was judging Käte’s expression correctly she felt the same way. While Ilse was arguably the smartest of the Mischners, she was also the most personally damaged. According to Katherine, Ilse had suffered greatly in her childhood and that was manifesting in all sorts of difficulties for her as an adult. As a Doctoral student herself, Ilse would have all sorts of things to talk about with Albrecht. That was clearly the problem.

Couple of things.
1. Harry S. Truman is more than likely going to go completely mad if Nancy leaves for Germany. Especially if her boss comes in to brief him on it and what his opinion of it. I imagine somewhere he is trying to get "The Grafin" on the phone to come over and finish what she started earlier.

2. Albrecht and Ilse might be a pretty good match no matter what Manfred thinks, seems like he has always underestimated him.

3. With Elizabeth II having a personal connection with Kat, might Mr. Fleming find his life getting a bit more miserable?

I ship it. Manfred should get out of the way. If he starts meddling he should remind himself that this son tends to do what annoys him. Become an Academic, join the Navy, court Ilse.

As for Nancy, pretty sure she stays in the US. There was a flash forward bit about the letters she exchanged with Kat being revealed by her granddaughter. Or did the Berlin museum win that fight against the Smithsonian because the letters were in Germany. But why would the Smithsonian care about letters some girl that emigrated?

As for Nancy, pretty sure she stays in the US. There was a flash forward bit about the letters she exchanged with Kat being revealed by her granddaughter. Or did the Berlin museum win that fight against the Smithsonian because the letters were in Germany. But why would the Smithsonian care about letters some girl that emigrated?

That was a reader comment, totally non canon.