Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I like the idea of a W18 version of the Lion. It should have similar balance properties as an I6 or V12 and the issues with the crankshaft aren't too different as well.

Also, it wouldn't add too much length onto the engine if you stayed with the already established dimensions of the Lion, you'll probably end up with a powerplant in the 500-600 bhp range, which would be good for a late war Valiant follow on design with minimal development work.

ill admit its about 5 years after but you are getting jump im design work so possible an improvement?
this is about all i know about Perkins
I'm going to go diesel nerd on y'all right now, because I'm qualified to do it. The CAV rotary pump is a fascinating piece of engineering, but it isn't going to show up any earlier in this timeline - unless you can butterfly Vernon Roosa, a technician and inventor in New York City, into working on diesel generator sets a few years earlier. The CAV pump from the video is a license-built version of the "Roosa Master" pump introduced in 1947. The U.S. version found application on Hercules diesel engines, and were manufactured by the Harford Screw Machine Company - a company founded in 1871 by Christopher Spencer, who developed the Spencer repeating rifle prior to the US Civil War.

At this time, the "H" series of Cummins engines were coming onto the market in the US. 6 cylinder, 14L displacement, about 165hp @ 1800 rpm.

Did I understand correctly that Perkins is currently producing a small diesel engine? Could it be used in a stretched Lloyd carrier? The Lion is similar to the Liberty in that the cylinders are bolted onto the block? I thought that the Liberty had a tendency to shake itself apart if subjected to a lot of vibration.

Did I understand correctly that Perkins is currently producing a small diesel engine? Could it be used in a stretched Lloyd carrier? The Lion is similar to the Liberty in that the cylinders are bolted onto the block? I thought that the Liberty had a tendency to shake itself apart if subjected to a lot of vibration.
The Lion could stand up to the pounding endured by high speed rescue launches without falling apart,

More security by confusion/obscurity!
Very interesting solution to the engine crisis, I’m annoyed that I didn’t think to suggest Perkins given that I’ve driven past their factory more times than I’d care to mention.
My Dad worked there from the Mid 1970's until he retired in the mid 90's.
It's a small world.

I'm going to go diesel nerd on y'all right now, because I'm qualified to do it. The CAV rotary pump is a fascinating piece of engineering, but it isn't going to show up any earlier in this timeline - unless you can butterfly Vernon Roosa, a technician and inventor in New York City, into working on diesel generator sets a few years earlier. The CAV pump from the video is a license-built version of the "Roosa Master" pump introduced in 1947. The U.S. version found application on Hercules diesel engines, and were manufactured by the Harford Screw Machine Company - a company founded in 1871 by Christopher Spencer, who developed the Spencer repeating rifle prior to the US Civil War.

At this time, the "H" series of Cummins engines were coming onto the market in the US. 6 cylinder, 14L displacement, about 165hp @ 1800 rpm.
neeto didn't know that we had a tractor that used one of the Hercules engines from the 50s

I'm afraid that I've been guilty of what Catholics call the sin of presumption.
So, Carden's original back of the envelope mentions using "our M/C gun". Which I presumed to be Machine Cannon, therefore the 2-pdr pompom. The tank sold to the Latvians with Vickers own 2-pdr in the turret which I've adapted onto the Carden A11 was also presumed by me to be the pompom.
Now though, having looked at the Osprey book British Anti-tank Artillery 1939, Vickers own 2pdr was an alternative design to the Woolwich 2pdr which eventually was put into production. Vickers own gun had orders of only 44, then the improved Woolwich design replaced it for an order of 812. So the Latvian tanks will have been given the failed to be ordered Vickers 2pdr, which makes sense as it would otherwise be the latest British army gear sold to a foreign buyer.
I think I can still handwavium the pompom as I still can't find what M/C stands for. Medium Calibre?
Anyway, just though I'd confess my sin.
Allan.
2-pdrgun.gif

I'm afraid that I've been guilty of what Catholics call the sin of presumption.
So, Carden's original back of the envelope mentions using "our M/C gun". Which I presumed to be Machine Cannon, therefore the 2-pdr pompom. The tank sold to the Latvians with Vickers own 2-pdr in the turret which I've adapted onto the Carden A11 was also presumed by me to be the pompom.
Now though, having looked at the Osprey book British Anti-tank Artillery 1939, Vickers own 2pdr was an alternative design to the Woolwich 2pdr which eventually was put into production. Vickers own gun had orders of only 44, then the improved Woolwich design replaced it for an order of 812. So the Latvian tanks will have been given the failed to be ordered Vickers 2pdr, which makes sense as it would otherwise be the latest British army gear sold to a foreign buyer.
I think I can still handwavium the pompom as I still can't find what M/C stands for. Medium Calibre?
Anyway, just though I'd confess my sin.
Allan.
View attachment 602077
Are you sure - I had pulled that up previously and the way I read it it was the gun carriage that was the basis of the prototypes not the gun itself?

*shrugs* Its a minor error, the 2lb pom-pom mount exists and could be put into a tank with a view to infantry support. Its not just TTL's carden who can think outside the box :D

Stick with the Pom Pom as it's a gun in current production and the A11 is only meant as a stop gap so they wouldn't want to restart production of the rejected gun.

I wouldn't worry about that entirely reasonable assumption on the Vickers 2pd gun.

I think almost all of us were in agreement that it was a good idea to fit a Pom pom in the Matilda 1 and that level of consensus in a WW2 technical discussion is a rare thing on this forum :)

I wouldn't worry about that entirely reasonable assumption on the Vickers 2pd gun.

I think almost all of us were in agreement that it was a good idea to fit a Pom pom in the Matilda 1 and that level of consensus in a WW2 technical discussion is a rare thing on this forum :)

Clearly, the next logical step is fitting the Quad Pom-Pom to a tank.

Clearly, the next logical step is fitting the Quad Pom-Pom to a tank.

If Allan was worried about the pom pom Diestormle has clearly stated why he shouldn't be. Not only an honest mistake which not one of us caught at the time, but the pom pom on a Matilda is cool! Almost as cool as sticking four of them onto a tank!

For myself I thought the idea of using a pom pom was totally OTL. It makes sence. Pom Poms are in mass production but starting to look a bit dated when compared to the the Bofors. It does the job and the auto loader makes a two man turret workable.

Could M/C be for Machine Cannon?
That's my question. I really don't know.
David Fletcher in Mechanised Force quotes it thus:
"We can try our idea of M/C gun but this is not so urgent."
I've attached a photo of the handwritten note, which looks a bit more like M/c gun. Though still not clear.
cardennote1.jpg

Maybe its an add abreviation of machine gun? But machine cannon, and hence the rapid firing pom-pom works :) Honestly, don't worry about it! Let them have pom's!

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Machine cannon gun makes no sense. It is either cannon or gun, not both. W/e M/g could read as weekend(ing) meeting/message, but M/c should certainly be one long word. Typically motorcycle rather than machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.