Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. I didn't think of that. To the limit of my knowledge (which isn't saying much but still) this seems like a very interesting and creative solution! Congrats! Bit of a risk with the timing but I like the direction.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
I mean, I would hate to be sitting next to the boiler when it gets holed by and AP shell but the power capacity is there.
There for all to see, without a huge condensing system to scrub the smoke stack and keep the "exhaust" water vapour free.

More on topic, the Perkins Lion sounds a great idea. The company are innovative and developed a cutting torch jig to make tank drive sprockets quickly, with less machining. Torch jigs could speed production of tanks more generally?

Last edited:
YES! This is a cooperation that could be very successful. Perkins was responsible postwar for the Condor series of military engines. I'm sure they could do something great.

Enjoyable update as always Allen, my only question would be that have you given Gardner diesel any thought for helping with development?

Gardners modular cylinder and head system (cylinders in pairs or threes which could be combined to give you any number of cylinders from 2 to 8 in inline form) in both automotive and marine form could be combined with a new crank case to make a V12 or 16 or a broad arrow 18, power is a little lower than the lion in one of those forms but so is swept volume if based on the in production 6LW ( 84 hp @1400 rpm on 10.3 lts) or 6L3 (114hp@900 rpm on 18.3 litres).

Gardners are renowned for the high torque available at low revs and the extreme reliability of the engines, there is still a thriving market for rebuilt engines 20 years after the factory closed down.

Last edited:

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
The tax was based on cylinder diameter and number of pistons, so swept depth of cylinder was artificially long. British engines were inefficient by statute!

Enjoyable update as always Allen, my only question would be that have you given Gardner diesel any thought for helping with development?

Gardners modular cylinder and head system (cylinders in pairs or threes which could be combined to give you any number of cylinders from 2 to 8 in inline form) in both automotive and marine form could be combined with a new crank case to make a V12 or 16 or a broad arrow 18, power is a little lower than the lion in one of those forms but so is swept volume if based on the in production 6LW ( 84 hp @1400 rpm on 10.3 lts) or 6L3 (114hp@900 rpm on 18.3 litres).

Gardners are renowned for the high torque available at low revs and the extreme reliability of the engines, there is still a thriving market for rebuilt engines 20 years after the factory closed down.
TBH didn't come across them in my research.
Allan.

So this makes Peterborough more of a target during WWII. There a few decent engineering firms around here, that's going to have butterflies post war though.
Could see an earlier growth of the city before Peterborough DC turn it into a London overflow.

Considering how bad German intelligence gathering operations in the UK were due to the XX system, setting up a new factory to build the Diesel Lion would probably go completely unnoticed by the Abwehr.

Security by obscurity.

IIRC, they were so bad the the German agents were captured by the British and either were forced/they were replaced by British agents who sent the Germans phony messages. And the Abwehr never caught on...

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
IIRC, they were so bad the the German agents were captured by the British and either were forced/they were replaced by British agents who sent the Germans phony messages. And the Abwehr never caught on...
At least one of them handed themselves into the police on arrival asking to help by passing false information.....

ill admit its about 5 years after but you are getting jump im design work so possible an improvement?
this is about all i know about Perkins

Last edited:
Considering how bad German intelligence gathering operations in the UK were due to the XX system, setting up a new factory to build the Diesel Lion would probably go completely unnoticed by the Abwehr.

Security by obscurity.
However less unnoticed by the Luftwaffe. Unfortunately RAF Peterborough, later Westwood farm, was around a mile and a half from Perkins Engines. The airfield, if I remember rightly was a training unit, (biplanes, obsolete types mostly), which was bombed a couple of times, probably out of boredom, however recon flights happened fairly regularly. If the factory is expanded before the war, the chances are it will go as unnoticed as it was OTL though.

Just for added confusion, Perkins Engines, of Queen Street, Peterborough, producers of diesel engines should not be confused with Baker Perkins of Westwood, Peterborough who produced Engines for the mk IV tank during WWI, and moved into making biscuit and confectionary machinery after the first war. This made them obvious candidates, (for some unknown reason), to build the 6lb anti tank gun in the second world war.
The two companies are completely unrelated.

However less unnoticed by the Luftwaffe. Unfortunately RAF Peterborough, later Westwood farm, was around a mile and a half from Perkins Engines. The airfield, if I remember rightly was a training unit, (biplanes, obsolete types mostly), which was bombed a couple of times, probably out of boredom, however recon flights happened fairly regularly. If the factory is expanded before the war, the chances are it will go as unnoticed as it was OTL though.

Just for added confusion, Perkins Engines, of Queen Street, Peterborough, producers of diesel engines should not be confused with Baker Perkins of Westwood, Peterborough who produced Engines for the mk IV tank during WWI, and moved into making biscuit and confectionary machinery after the first war. This made them obvious candidates, (for some unknown reason), to build the 6lb anti tank gun in the second world war.
The two companies are completely unrelated.
More security by confusion/obscurity!
Very interesting solution to the engine crisis, I’m annoyed that I didn’t think to suggest Perkins given that I’ve driven past their factory more times than I’d care to mention.

And as mentioned the engines could be adapted by the other upcoming tank manufacturer i guess instead the bus engines they are planning on using i guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.