Sir John Valentine Carden survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly in OTL where scattered German paratroopers landed in Crete they tended to get killed or picked off by the locals.

In OTL the Germans had no idea about the existing tanks in the island and vastly underestimated the Allied numbers. They thought that the whole force was the equivalent of 2 infantry regiments and 1 artillery regiment, 5,000 overall including both Greeks and Commonwealth.

To quote from Antony Beevor's book:

General Student's intelligence staff, led by Major Reinhardt, then produced one of the most inaccurate briefings of the whole war. Their photo-reconnaissance 'line-overlaps' along the coast, which recreated an aerial picture of each objective and dropping zone, had failed to pick out the vast majority of the well-camouflaged positions. General Student after the war claimed that the Dornier pilots had reported that 'the island appeared lifeless.'
The Germans, during their period of seemingly unstoppable conquest, paid relatively little attention to the art of intelligence. Such over-confidence was revealed in the language of their summaries which phrased mere suppositions with the cast-iron confidence of undeniable truths. That of 19 May, on the eve of battle, categorically stated that the British garrison on Crete was no more than 5,000 strong, with only 400 men at Heraklion, and none at Rethymno. All the New Zealanders and Australians from Greece had been evacuated directly to Egypt and there were no Greek troops on the island.
Most astonishing of all, Reinhardt's summary predicted an enthusiastic welcome from the civilian population, even that a pro-German fifth column would emerge uttering the password 'Major Bock'. He and his staff had either dismissed out of hand or failed to read the general briefing document completed on 31 March for the invasion of Greece.

Well, what actually happened was the following (copy pasted from Beevor):

Crete's greatest difference, to the horror of the Germans, was the part played by 'unrecruited civilians'. The Cretan resistance, unlike those underground movements in the rest of Europe which did not start to develop until a year or so after the German occupation, began literally in the first hour of the invasion.
Boys, old men and also women displayed a breath-taking bravery in defence of their island. German soldiers were doubly scandalized at the idea of women fighting them. They would rip the dress from the shoulder of a suspect. If she had a bruise from the recoil of a rifle, or was caught knife in hand, she would be shot along with the men.
Scattered paratroopers landing near Perivolia were, in the words of the New Zealand official history, 'despatched by civilians with axes and spades'. One of the first examples of spontaneous mobilization was an attack on the rear of the Parachute Engineer Battalion which had landed round Lake Ayia by Cretan irregulars advancing from the large village of Alikianou. Within a short space of time, according to a German report, the 16th Company of the Storm Regiment 'which had been ordered to protect the south of the aerodrome of Malemes [sic] continually had to
fight against francs-tireurs'.
Although the Cretans had their own proud traditions of resistance to the Turk, their ferocity and reckless bravery in 1941 were more reminiscent of the Second of May Rising against Napoleon's
forces in Madrid, of a guerra al cuchillo: war to the knife.

Some priests led their parishioners into battle. Father Stylianos Frantzeskakis, hearing of the airborne invasion, rushed to the church to sound the bell. Taking a rifle, he marched his volunteers north from Paleokhora and later fought German motor-cycle detachments when they reached Kandanos. An intelligence officer from the 14th Infantry Brigade's headquarters remembered several priests, keen duck-shooters and therefore 'pretty good shots', who almost certainly took part in the fighting.
At the time of the battle, one went around with a rifle down his trousers waiting for the chance of a pot-shot at German paratroopers. And at Rethymno, Ray Sandover, one of the Australian battalion commanders, saw a monk on the second day of the battle armed with a rifle and an axe in his belt. On the third day the monk appeared accompanied by a little boy acting as gun-bearer with a Schmeisser sub-machine gun and other trophies he had won in the battle against the paratroopers.

Now the civilian Cretans will have 20,000 of their young men, all of them veterans, back in the island.

Der Furor Teutonicus you say ? Cretans are not impressed.

Last edited:
Damn this will go worse then given the build upon the island if the germans do decide to attack the island lots of angry Irregulars throw on top the the Cretan division and what the UK and Commonwealth will have there it will go very poorly.

The cretan divison was evacuted early with most of their gear and all of their officers . It alone would make german invasion almost impossible . I imagine the divison eventually gets split into two or three even . First as the cretan garrison , then maybe as garrison for other islands and the last part for the most keen people a greek divison in the invasion of italy. They can take over alot of the beach defenses and the british can concetrate on the airfields alot more than otl thanks to that is my thought as the most logical butterfly.

My thought and hope is that the greek provide like a corps for the italian invasion and maybe one of the divisons could be armored by then from old british tanks when they upgrade to the proto comet thats coming very soon ? They are also troops + the island garrisons with wich to do a balkans adventure in 1944 with local resources is another butterfly to be honest.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Cretan Divisions has an advantage no other division has in that they have local knowledge of the terrain of Crete, and local knowledge of the terrain can be critical.

Yeah, the Cretan Divisions has an advantage no other division has in that they have local knowledge of the terrain of Crete, and local knowledge of the terrain can be critical.
The disadvantage was they had non -British-proprietary ammunition for their rifles and machine guns as well as any heavier weapons (artillery etc) they might have

All of this makes me think that there's no On The Bounce invasion as surely the Germans both 1) appreciated Allied forces more and 2) will have figured out that Crete has got a reasonable amount of evacuated troops - more so than OTL's apparently farcical intelligence report

Wasn't a lot of the German Intelligence aparatus at the time either not up to standard, riddled with inflitration by british agents, or dogmatically political? I know the Germans had problems with their agents being flipped by british intelligence, hell they gave a British double agent a iron cross at some point for all the 'good work' that he was doing. So I'm not sure how good their actual intelligence would be at the time, or whether their photo interpreters were up to snuff, or if theres large SS formations involved they could be rejecting reality as not conforming to their expectations.

I could be wrong, but it seems like once battles like this got going the Germans seemed to discount or not use intelligence assets as they probably should.

Wasn't a lot of the German Intelligence aparatus at the time either not up to standard, riddled with inflitration by british agents, or dogmatically political? I know the Germans had problems with their agents being flipped by british intelligence, hell they gave a British double agent a iron cross at some point for all the 'good work' that he was doing. So I'm not sure how good their actual intelligence would be at the time, or whether their photo interpreters were up to snuff, or if theres large SS formations involved they could be rejecting reality as not conforming to their expectations.
That was Juan Pujol García, and he was never a German agent, he simply made them think he was a spy friendly to their cause.

That was Juan Pujol García, and he was never a German agent, he simply made them think he was a spy friendly to their cause.
Ah fair enough.

Not sure which one it would be the remit of, but how good where the German intelligence services actually at with photo interpretation? This is pretty early on in the war so both the Allies, and the Germans wouldn't have had as much practice, so would they even be able to pick out the camoflagued posistions on the island when the Soldiers have had time to dig in a disguise them?

Also in regards to the German intelligence apparatus wasn't one of their own working against them as well? I think it was Wilhelm Canaris head of of the Abwehr?

The German armed forces seem to have ignored anything that was not tatical teeth arms. Logistics what's that intelligence well we got these tourist guides. R&D fund everything but only for the infavour

Also in regards to the German intelligence apparatus wasn't one of their own working against them as well? I think it was Wilhelm Canaris head of of the Abwehr?
Canaris was indeed a member of the Schwarze Kapelle, along with his deputy, Hans Oster, and several other senior members of the organisation.

Last edited:
I mean, at this point in time he is running a German spy ring that doesn't exist, supposedly in Britain (where he has never actually visited) while he is actually in Portugal (I think), while supplying them with fake information. And the Germans didn't notice. They spent the entire war believing he was a loyal agent. Despite the fact that he kept making mistakes until the Americans told the British about this guy. I mean, he doesn't even understand the British currency system at this time!

And the British completely subverted German intelligence during the war. Their entire Britain based intelligence apparatus were actually working for British counter-intelligence (or they got caught immediately). Now, not sure how good they were outside of Britain.

I mean, at this point in time he is running a German spy ring that doesn't exist, supposedly in Britain (where he has never actually visited) while he is actually in Portugal (I think), while supplying them with fake information. And the Germans didn't notice. They spent the entire war believing he was a loyal agent. Despite the fact that he kept making mistakes until the Americans told the British about this guy. I mean, he doesn't even understand the British currency system at this time!

And the British completely subverted German intelligence during the war. Their entire Britain based intelligence apparatus were actually working for British counter-intelligence (or they got caught immediately). Now, not sure how good they were outside of Britain.
The Germans (or maybe it was the Germans piggybacking on the Italians) did have some outstanding intelligence successes during the war, such as the much discussed Bonner Fellers, whose mail to Roosevelt they were basically reading until the Americans back in the USA finally figured out that their codes were broken.
There's also been some references over in a 'D-Day 1943' thread to claims that the Germans may have been listening to Churchill's telephone conversations with Roosevelt - although I'm personally not clear at this point (pending further research) if those claims are anywhere near as well-grounded as it seems to me that the Bonner Fellers one is.

The Germans (or maybe it was the Germans piggybacking on the Italians) did have some outstanding intelligence successes during the war, such as the much discussed Bonner Fellers, whose mail to Roosevelt they were basically reading until the Americans back in the USA finally figured out that their codes were broken.
There's also been some references over in a 'D-Day 1943' thread to claims that the Germans may have been listening to Churchill's telephone conversations with Roosevelt - although I'm personally not clear at this point (pending further research) if those claims are anywhere near as well-grounded as it seems to me that the Bonner Fellers one is.
ITTL, that won't give them anything, as the British will be on the homes stretch by the time the Italians manage to steal the Black Code.

CSM Coward wasn't an intelligence agent at the time he was awarded it.
I would highly recommend that anyone read CSM Coward's book. He was a remarkable man and that film doesn't do him justice. He actually broke into Auschwitz to see what was going on and smuggled people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.