Hello,could you do Black dragon on golden field surrounded by a circle of 40 silver sheep.
sheep whith no horns,,maybe 40 a little to much,it could be 20, diveded in 2 circles,and yes i would like on centred on a rectangular flag,
How about this? With just 20 sheep, I put them in one circle.
Gold_Blk_dragon_Silver_sheep_x20__FG.png (click thumbnail for full-size image, 1000x600px)
Image(s) created by FriendlyGhost using inkscape and paint.net.
In accordance with the attribution terms of the licences noted below, you are free to use this image, including adaptation, as long as you give attribution. On this site (alternatehistory.com), just @ my username. On other sites, link to my profile page here.
Some of the constituent parts of this image were amended from images in the public domain, as follows:
(1) Dragon amended (recoloured and resized) from Christie L. Ward's 'Dragon_rampant' free for use and adaptation under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) licence[/URL].
(2) Sheep drawn from instructions on'How to draw a sheep'.

How about this? With just 20 sheep, I put them in one circle.
View attachment 524642 (click thumbnail for full-size image, 1000x600px)
Image(s) created by FriendlyGhost using inkscape and paint.net.
In accordance with the attribution terms of the licences noted below, you are free to use this image, including adaptation, as long as you give attribution. On this site (alternatehistory.com), just @ my username. On other sites, link to my profile page here.
Some of the constituent parts of this image were amended from images in the public domain, as follows:
(1) Dragon amended (recoloured and resized) from Christie L. Ward's 'Dragon_rampant' free for use and adaptation under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) licence[/URL].
(2) Sheep drawn from instructions on'How to draw a sheep'.

this is amazing!!!,everything i wanted and so much more,the flag is perfect, thank you,i can´t wait to use it my future stories.

Yeah, I'm looking more for a symbol for the ideological movement itself at the moment

how's this: the black and white section represent the separation between guardians, auxiliaries and producers with the former being at the center. Within the central part are four circles representing the four virtues expected of Guardians: wisdom, courage, justice and temperance .

The colours are fairly irrelevant and could be adapted to various countries' own colours. the basic shape is simple enough that it could also be adapted to various culture. For example, the whole could be an oval or a square with the 4 circles being replaced by stars, crosslets, etc...

neoplatonicians2.png

Last edited:
how's this: the black and white section represent the separation between guardians, auxiliaries and producers with the former being at the center. Within the central part are four circles representing the four virtues expected of Guardians: wisdom, courage, justice and temperance .

The colours are fairly irrelevant and could be adapted to various countries' own colours. the basic shape is simple enough that it could also be adapted to various culture. For example, the whole could be an oval or a square with the 4 circles being replaced by stars, crosslets, etc...

View attachment 524784
That's great, thanks!

I've been trying to work out a cap-badge for a Science Fiction police force I call the ROYAL INTERIOR POLICE* who are, in fact, coppers operating on a planet more than happy to indulge in a little gallows humour based on those initials (the rather hard-baked locals tend to refer to them as 'Rippers' when persuaded to be respectful and more often default to 'deadheads') and who have therefore decided that a little psychological warfare will make things easier, decided to affect a certain amount of Grim Reaper symbolism while also employing utter relentlessness and skilled use of silence (both in terms of stealth and the calculated exploitation of Humanities terror of the unheard).

As part of this little exercise in brand management, a famous 'Tombstone' badge is designed; a stylised skull with the Scales of Justice used to define eye sockets and the nasal cavity, surrounded by a band with lettering of some sort picked out on it (Think a more simple, rather more Gothic take on the badge of the Royal Canadian Mountain Police if seeking a basic model).

Now I'm still toying with the design of this badge and would like to ask the experts - is the basic concept sound? Should the lettering read 'RIP' or 'Royal Interior Police' ? Should there be a crown to symbolise the Royal patronage of this particular service? I'm aiming for something simple and a little eerie, but would like to avoid a design too close to the totenkopf design (for obvious reasons).

May I please ask you fellows what the best way to do this might be?

*The planet in question is an extraterrestrial world much more arid than present-day Earth (much more like a cross between Terra during the Last Glacial Maximum and a Mars allowed life & breath); the Interior in question is an area at the heart of the largest local continent (arguably a super-continent, for though there are substantial land masses elsewhere none come very close in size) and it's best summed up as Planet Mars meets the Sahara.

Thank You in advance for your consideration in any case! :)

The locals are unfriendly, the climate is lethal and the Law only runs for cover ... and that's on a good day.

gryphon_base_release_by_starfleet-dcg7u9w copy 2020.png

^^ ALSO - ever since the creator, an artist known on deviantArt.com as 'starfleet' was kind enough to put this up on his gallery, I've been toying with the map above (a depiction of Planet Gryphon from the HONOR HARRINGTON galaxy) and would like to ask if someone more au fait with the ways of mapping could help me by drawing in some lines of latitude. ^^

I've been trying to work out where the various climate zones on this particular planet might be, but my command of drawing software is about as extensive as the authority of an Alcoholics Anonymous representative with a killing hangover; may I please request that some kind soul help me by drawing in lines to represent the Arctic & Antarctic circles, as well as the local Tropics?

Now I've been able to work out that, given Planet Gryphon has an axial tilt of almost 27 degrees, the Tropics should be drawn at the 27th parallel North and the 27th parallel South - I believe this also means that the Arctic & Antarctic circles should rest on the 63rd parallel North and the 63rd parallel South; may I please ask if I am correct in drawing these conclusions?

Thank You in advance for your consideration!

View attachment 524855
^^ ALSO - ever since the creator, an artist known on deviantArt.com as 'starfleet' was kind enough to put this up on his gallery, I've been toying with the map above (a depiction of Planet Gryphon from the HONOR HARRINGTON galaxy) and would like to ask if someone more au fait with the ways of mapping could help me by drawing in some lines of latitude. ^^

I've been trying to work out where the various climate zones on this particular planet might be, but my command of drawing software is about as extensive as the authority of an Alcoholics Anonymous representative with a killing hangover; may I please request that some kind soul help me by drawing in lines to represent the Arctic & Antarctic circles, as well as the local Tropics?

Now I've been able to work out that, given Planet Gryphon has an axial tilt of almost 27 degrees, the Tropics should be drawn at the 27th parallel North and the 27th parallel South - I believe this also means that the Arctic & Antarctic circles should rest on the 63rd parallel North and the 63rd parallel South; may I please ask if I am correct in drawing these conclusions?

Thank You in advance for your consideration!
I am not a map-maker, but I do work with different map projections on a regular basis in my work, so I can perhaps help with this particular request.
Where the lines of latitude are depends on which map projection this theoretically uses. In practice, most maps fictional worlds don't worry too much about that detail, so it's unlikely that there is a specific projection deliberately used. Since it's rectangular, that narrows down the choices a bit. If we just look at the list of projections on wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections) and compare the ratio of your map to the ratios of the examples there, a simple equirectangular projection fits reasonably well. This means that the spacings of the lines of latitude are the same from top to bottom.
You're quite correct that with an axial tilt of 27° the tropics will be at 27°N/S and the polar circles will be at 90-27=63°N/S. (This diagram shows how it works: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Axial_tilt_vs_tropical_and_polar_circles.svg.)
Using all of this, I've overlaid your map with lines of latitude as requested. The first image has just the equator, tropical and polar circles, whilst the second has all the 10° lines as well.
I can't help with climate zones, sorry.
Gryphon_with_eq_tropics_polars_only_FG.png Gryphon_with_latitudes_FG.png (click the thumbnails for the full-size images)
Copyright note: copyright of the amended image remains with the copyright owner of the original, as per the watermark.

Now I'm still toying with the design of this badge and would like to ask the experts - is the basic concept sound? Should the lettering read 'RIP' or 'Royal Interior Police' ?

Having just "RIP" sounds a bit too much on the nose whereas having Royal Interior Police in full but with the initials emphasise in some way gives it a bit of plausible deniability.

Should there be a crown to symbolise the Royal patronage of this particular service?

Maybe its because I live in Australia but I'm used to having a crown on top of the badges of any government service and any civilian that received royal recognition so, yes.

I'm aiming for something simple and a little eerie, but would like to avoid a design too close to the totenkopf design (for obvious reasons).

I think the best think is to *suggest* a skull rather than have an actual skull again so that if the higher do an inspection, the rippers can say "Well to me its just a badge with a scale of justice on it but *I guess* it might be possible for one with an overactive imagination to see a skull there......"

An idea for the design:

rippers.png

Having just "RIP" sounds a bit too much on the nose whereas having Royal Interior Police in full but with the initials emphasise in some way gives it a bit of plausible deniability.

Maybe its because I live in Australia but I'm used to having a crown on top of the badges of any government service and any civilian that received royal recognition so, yes.

I think the best think is to *suggest* a skull rather than have an actual skull again so that if the higher do an inspection, the rippers can say "Well to me its just a badge with a scale of justice on it but *I guess* it might be possible for one with an overactive imagination to see a skull there......"

An idea for the design:

View attachment 524957

As a third party I would like to say that I really like this design.

As a third party I would like to say that I really like this design.

Gokbay, as a principal party in this case I most definitely agree!;)

I agree; I am also extremely grateful to you for taking the time to offer your advice and thrice grateful for your most excellent design - for which Thank You so very much, it's PERFECT! (I also really like the idea that the primary opponents of the 'Deadheads' aren't even slightly misled by all this plausible deniability; I'm still working out the details of this particular Law Enforcement agency, but tend towards the idea that they're either the RCMP pretending to be the Texas Rangers or the old-school Texas Rangers pretending to be Mounties).

My mental image of this design is that it should be in gunmetal on a red beret - or possibly maroon, on the understanding that most Gryphon police services circa the Gryphon Uprising* use a peaked cap but the 'Rippers' stand out as a different animal (possibly even more like a Special Forces/counter-terror unit than a straightforward constabulary) and that the RIP remains a storied but somewhat controversial element of the era to this day (my idea is that they were either disbanded or rolled over into a new planet-wide agency, the Royal Gryphon Constabulary, not long after the Uprising ... though the Interior Division, RGC still maintains a number of traditions from the era), rather like the Parachute Regiment or the SAS in Northern Ireland.

May I please ask what colour combination you think works best, M. Pasquin?

*About 200 years before the heyday of Admiral Harrington; from what I can see this period is somewhere between The Troubles and an Old West Range War.

Howdy. Looking for a colonial flag for a Confederate-held Central America (minus Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama). Any help?

I'm requesting a flag for the Canadian Republic in Sampleswift's timeline Jefferson's Anti-Slavery Crisis. It's a nation that resulted from a version of the 1837 Canadian Rebellion that succeeded. I need a flag that's distinctly Canadian since the OTL "Republic of Canada" flag is too inspired by America's for my taste. One request is that it doesn't take too much from OTL flag proposals since it doesn't make sense for a flag created about 130 years earlier to look exactly like the OTL Pearson Pennant, for example.

Howdy. Looking for a colonial flag for a Confederate-held Central America (minus Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama). Any help?
What's its status? State or Territory?
I'm requesting a flag for the Canadian Republic in Sampleswift's timeline Jefferson's Anti-Slavery Crisis. It's a nation that resulted from a version of the 1837 Canadian Rebellion that succeeded. I need a flag that's distinctly Canadian since the OTL "Republic of Canada" flag is too inspired by America's for my taste. One request is that it doesn't take too much from OTL flag proposals since it doesn't make sense for a flag created about 130 years earlier to look exactly like the OTL Pearson Pennant, for example.
Is this both Upper and Lower Canada?
If so then a variant on the Patriotes should work:
canrep1.png

Or
canrep2.png

The one I assume you're talking about is the flag used by Reformists in Upper-Canada (2 white star on a blue band over white). The flag used by members of the Parti Patriote in Lower Canada was an horizontal green-white-red flag. If you find it too plain, you could take that one as basis then add a green maple sprig centered on the white band as Lower Canadians were already using maple leaves as a national symbol at the time with the 3 leaves representing French-Canadians, English-Canadians & Natives.

cdn-republic2.png