Status
Not open for further replies.
#12: 1848 in Europe, Part 1
  • From "1848, A year of Revolutions" by William S. Chase (1)

Preface

The year 1848 was remarkably eventful.
    To this country, it brought the termination of our work of conquest in Mexico, a change of administration which elevated General Taylor to the Presidency and the Whig party to power, and, finally, the discovery of the Gold Regions in California, a discovery realizing dreams of the fabled Dorado of the past, and pregnant with mighty consequences for the future.
    In Europe, 1848 was emphatically a year of Revolutions. "The social and political convulsions which marked its course, the tottering of thrones and dynasties, the irruption of armed democracy into the council-chambers of Kings, the uprising of oppressed and dormant nationalities, and the consequent ruin of the cumbrous fabrics raised over them by diplomacy are incidents of that eventful year, which have been watched by contemporary spectators with the lively emotions due to such dramatic spectacles, and to which inquiry will turn, for many a generation to come, as to the starting points of current history"(2)
    [..]
    The French and the Italian Revolutions(3) properly claim the largest space in this work. Although many of those events were so sudden and unexpected as to seem premature, like the deposition of King Louis Philippe in February(4) or the sudden and completely unexpectedrebirth of the Republic of Venice, the explosive forces resulting in them had long been accumulating. Future historians will certainly debate at length how it happened that long-serving politicians like Prince Metternich in Vienna or Francois Guizot in Paris were so blind to miss the mounting signs of danger which had been straining the fabric of European society for almost a decade, and even at the very last moment remained arrogant and complacent, firmly convinced that nothing could challenge their position.
    [..]
    The already daunting task of describing the events of that fateful year is made even more difficult by the close connection and consequences that events in one corner of the continent had in the others, even in the not obvious ones. If, for instance, it was somehow natural and expected that the revolution in France might touch off an insurrection in Vienna on March 15th and the subsequent resignation of Europe's most feared oppressor Metternich would resonate in Pest, Prague, Milan and Venice, who could imagine that the events in the former Duchies of Parma and Modena would have had such severe consequences in Paris (5) or that Berlin, of all the cities in Europe, would have been the theatre of the most unexpected and at the same time most bloody insurrection, which frightened the king of Prussia into the promise of a Constitution before prudently leaving the city for the safety of his palace of Sans Souci at Potsdam (6)?
    [..]
    If it is true that London and Paris were sympathetic to the Italian cause, it is perhaps truer the sudden and shining awakening of the Italian power in the middle of the Mediterranean was certainly a concern, for it brought with itself fear for the new and unknown. This, coupled with the unexpected rise of the new generation of rulers of the House of Savoy, explains the ambiguous moves regarding the Sicilian throne. For while the British ambassador unofficially endorsed the accession of the fabled Maria Cristina of Savoy in Palermo, in London was printed -and hurriedly shipped to Sicily- a manifesto suggesting to offer the crown to Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, magnifying his qualities and riches (7); while France, per Lamartine's own words, would "not attack her unoffending neighbors, nor exercise an underhand nor incendiary propaganda among them"(8), the rise of a member of the House d'Orleans, covered in military glory, even as a mere Prince Consort was enough to try and covertly break this policy, by prompting to said throne either a nine-year-old Tuscan prince or the very man who had chosen a Queen in the first place (9).
    [..]

The events of Germany cannot but raise mixed feelings in any man that loves liberty. (10)

[..]
    Whatever may be the convulsions of 1848, and of the subsequent events of 1849, their tendency and their ultimate results cannot fail to be good.

Footnotes
    1. An actual OTL book published in 1850; we are presenting here excerpts from its TTL version
    2. This is the OTL beginning of the preface
    3. "the French Revolution" IOTL
    4. Events in France, as well as the rest of Europe until Goito, follow the same path as OTL
    5. A shameless teaser
    6. Berliners, upon receiving the news of the insurrection of Vienna and the dismissal of Metternich, submitted a petition to the king asking for the suppression of censorship and the convening of the United Estates of Prussia. The petition was rejected, and what had started as a peaceful demonstration quickly turned into a riot and then in outright insurrection. Close to 1,000 Berliners died in the fight, then the king called back the soldiers, and promised a Constitution before leaving for Sans Souci. Once he was there, though, he started to change again his mind. It is said that the council was hotly debating what to do, when suddenly a young Junker from East Prussia sat at a piano, and started playing the Attack March of the Prussian infantry: his name was Otto von Bismarck.
    7. This is OTL, as strange as it may seem. The unofficial position of the British Government was that there were no formal objection to a Savoy on the throne, but official recognition would come only after the stability of the new kingdom would be proven.
    8. Words taken from Lamartine's circular of March 4th IOTL
    9. IOTL the French, thinking that a Savoy on the throne of Sicily would have made Sardinia too strong, made some unofficial moves to prop either Carlo Salvatore von Hapsburg-Lorraine or even Ruggero Settimo on the throne; IOTL, given Henri's marriage to Maria Cristina, they try harder, but Ruggero Settimo's bold move to bring the crisis to a conclusion with a vote in parliament does not allow the French interests time to act.
    10. Yet another shameless teaser: for the time being, there is unrest in the Rhinelands, the Grand Duchies of Baden, Oldenburg and Hesse and the kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Hanover. The Grand Duke of Baden and the king of Bavaria abdicate as IOTL, and constitutional regimes are slowly being put in place. The events reported from the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg may be seen as typical: when the Grand Duke received a petition with thousands of signatures asking for the abolition of censorship and a constitution, he tried to procrastinate making a decision, arguing that such a major decision could not be taken without giving due consideration to all sides of the debate, and could not be rushed. His Prime Minister replied remembering to the Grand Duke that that had been his own advice, in 1830!
    Made in Tarabas & @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #28: Camillo, call me Ferdinando
  • Villa Pindemonte, 5 April 1848, Early Morning (continued)

Ferdinando appeared to be lost in thought, therefore Camillo di Cavour opened the dance:
    "As good as you have proven to be on the battlefield, I feel compelled to say that you're even more skilled in the realms of politics and diplomacy. You have landed at least two good blows, while sparring with Monsignor Corboli Bussi, and this is no little praise, since the Monsignore is recognized by all as a very canny and experienced diplomat. The days when the court of Turin danced at the tune of the Nuncio and the Societa' di Amicizia Cattolica are finally over, and not a day too early in my opinion. I thank Your Highness for starting my day on such a high note.
    "Careful, Camillo. This is just one of the first skirmishes, and sparring with the Catholic Church any mistake is going to cost a very high price. This said, I must admit that I feel reasonably proud of myself too, and this does not happen every day. It looks like today is going to be a day for celebration and revels, taking into account the midday event in which my sister will play the lead role. From now on, you will address me as Ferdinando, whenever we are in private. I am getting tired with all these "Your Royal Highness" and "Your Lieutenancy", and I want to be able to relax at least when I am a trusted friend. It's a small gift, but as I said to the Monsignore, war is a costly business."
    For once, the Count was left without words.
    "Ferdinando, today you have given me two gifts, and the second was even greater than the first: being called by you a "trusted friend" is worth more to me than any title or recompense." There was a suspicious glint in Cavour's eyes, but it went away quickly, and the Count continued: " Let me give you a brief report about yesterday night at Villa Borghi: it was an interesting pageant from any point you look at it, and if I have to deal with these characters for years to come, I will not fear boredom. For a starter, your sister threw the divine right of kings on the ground, and stomped on it with her dainty feet."
    "She did what?" Ferdinando was aghast.
    "When she met the Sicilian delegates, Prof. Stabile, recognizing her, started to kneel. Your sister stopped him immediately, saying that the crown would be offered to her by the elected parliament of a free people, and she would never ask any of her subjects to kneel in front of her. It was her first master coup, by which she immediately won the hearts of the Sicilian delegation, but she has a second one in her sleeve for today. I will not disclose it to avoid ruining her surprise, but you will like it. Let me tell you that I have had nothing to do with any of her moves yesterday, but I have no more any doubt that she is going to be a splendid Queen. I'm also pleased to tell you that Henri d'Orleans is already playing his role of Prince Consort like a professional.
    With your agreement, I will ask Pier Carlo Boggio, one of my best journalists, to write a piece about the offer of the crown, and to report also the words your sister spoke. They cannot be kept a secret anyway: I can bet the Sicilians are already writing home, telling the story, therefore let us use it for out purposes too. The reactionaries are not going to love us whatever we do, but we may score a few good points among liberal and democrats."
    "It looks like my sister has grown a lot, since she married Henri, and went to live in Algiers. I agree with you, the cat will be out of the bag anyway, and it can help us to show that the Savoy Queen is a woman of the modern times, not mired in the past. Is everything ready for the offer of the crown?
    "Everything is ready, of course. There will be the offer of the crown, a review of Sicilian volunteers, and then a collation will be served here at Villa Pindemonte. Everything is also ready for the opera performance that our friends from Venice has so kindly organized, as well as for the dinner and the ball which will follow. After the collation, everyone will move to Villa Borghi."
    "A day for celebration and revels indeed. Tell me more about yesterday night. How was the mood at Villa Borghi?"
    "Pretty good, I would say. There was a sense of easy camaraderie, even if these people were coming from very different parts of Italy, and also from different social backgrounds. Giuseppe Mazzini was very busy pontificating all the night: the man should have taken Holy Orders. No need to bore you to death by recounting his homily, but there is a single sentence that has been haunting me all the night. He said that in Paris maybe one man in fifteen is allowed the electoral franchise, but that the number of men who subscribe to a newspaper is at least 5 or 6 times larger, and if we consider the coffee houses, the wine shops and so on, probably two third of the men are interested in politics, and eager to discuss them. I am a newspaper editor, and I know his numbers stand up, even in normal times. Given the current events, I am sure that they should be revised sharply upwards. However, and to my shame, I never consciously noted the huge disparity between the many who are interested in politics and the few who are entitled to cast a vote. Something must be done, unless we plan to build a house on a foundation of sand."
    Cavour took a breath and a sip of coffee before continuing:
    "Princess Belgioioso has confirmed to me that the Milanese delegation will be on its best behavior, which is a nice thing to know. I am not really surprised: things are going really well, and besides the victory at Goito, there are a couple of other very good things which have happened: the Most Serene Republic, for one, which is to your credit, and the kingdom of Sicily, where the credit goes to Prince Settimo. I do not know him personally, but Scialoia speaks very well of him. The Grand Duke of Tuscany has come down clearly on our side, notwithstanding the displeasure of the Church: I spoke at length with Marquis Capponi and Baron Ricasoli, and we left on best terms. Tuscany will support our strategy. Finally Ferdinando Carlo of Parma decided to grace our evening at Villa Borghi, possibly to impress the delegations from the Cispadanian duchies, but he failed on all fronts: the most kind remark made about him was "popinjay". It might be worth giving you a warning, though: your sister has met Cristina Belgioioso, and the two of them are fast friends now, on first name terms. Be warned, Ferdinando: whatever one of those ladies will not think of, the other will."
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #28: A Jacobin in disguise
  • Villa Pindemonte, 5 April 1848, Mid Morning

The Venetians had proved quite cooperative: they had agreed that the Sardinian naval task force would be more useful in Palermo, since the Northern Adriatic was effectively a Venetian lake, and had also promised to send a few units to Sicily to show the flag and the Venetian commitment to support the independence of the island. Venetian units would also support the occupation of Monfalcone. Details would be discussed later on by Menabrea, Graziani and La Masa.
    Ferdinando thought that this was as good a time as any to raise the stakes:
    "We're all agreed that the war is proceeding according to plan. In about 10 days our units will be deployed along the Isonzo, and we are confident that De Sonnaz will manage to secure one or two bridgeheads on the left bank of the river. By taking Monfalcone, which should be an easy task since the town is not fortified on the landward side, we will have a secure logistic base to support further operations against Gorizia in the north-east and Trieste and Istria in the south east: our intention is to push eastwards as far as the watershed of the Julian Alps, and southwards to take Trieste, Istria and Fiume. Sooner rather than later gen. Nugent has to make a choice, and he has only three options available, none of them attractive. He can stay in Gorizia, and end up being besieged there with little hope that an Austrian army will come to break the siege, or he can vacate Gorizia retreating into Slovenia. I'm anyway convinced that in the end he will be ordered to defend Trieste, and in such a case he has to meet our army in the field. I've full confidence in gen. D'Orleans, whichever option the Austrian may choose.
    As far as Verona is concerned, our troops have completed the investment of the city. I plan to ask for a meeting with the Austrian commanders, where I will call for the immediate surrender of the city. The Viceroy of Lombardy-Venetia, well I should say the former Viceroy of Lombardy-Venetia given the situation in the field," a brief smile "is in Verona, and I know Archduke Ranieri pretty well (1): he is not a military man, much less a firebreather, and I am reasonably confident he will not force us to start cannonading Verona.
    I would therefore suggest that it is time for us to start discussing the best way to ensure that post-war Italy will enjoy a peaceful and stable political situation, where both freedom and safety from foreign aggression are guaranteed. "

Ferdinando stopped for a moment, to see if any question was forthcoming.

"A peaceful and stable political situation, Your Highness? May I ask what do you mean by these words?" Daniele Manin was very cautious: the delegates from the Republic had not anticipated that such a topic would be on the table today, and they appeared to be stunned. "In Venice you hinted to the possibility that the Italian states would be offered the opportunity of forming a Confederation, after the end of the war and the expulsion of the Austrians, but you never went into any detail. "

"You are quite right, Signor Manin. I never offered any detail at the time, because I had not yet a plan, just a dream: the dream that an Italy might be born where all the different states of the peninsula would be bound together by a common heritage and common interests, and above all by the love for freedom and the desire not to be crushed again under the heel of a foreign invader. I was in Venice barely a week ago, but many good things have happened during this week, and I believe I can offer you today something better than a dream. I will let the Count of Cavour unveil what I hope will be the roadmap for a common future."

Camillo was prepared: he had already gone through a similar exercise meeting with Capponi and Ricasoli, and he was confident he could gain at least a conditional approval from the Venetian delegation.
    "Signori, the continent of Europe has witnessed unexpected and stunning events during the past month of March: a second Republic in France, the dismissal of Prince Metternich, Vienna, Prague, Pest and Berlin in the hands of insurgents. Equally momentous developments have occurred in Italy: Lombardy and Venetia have regained their freedom, and the Republic of St. Mark has been born again to the joy of all liberty-loving Italians. " a courteous bow to Manin and the other delegates " A Provisional Government has been installed in Parma, Reggio and Modena, Sicily has declared its independence, and will offer today the crown to Princess Maria Cristina of Savoy. His Holiness has granted a constitution, and sent troops to fight against the Austrians, and the Grand Duke of Tuscany has done the same. Italians from almost all the Italian states are here in Isola della Scala, and for this reason we are going to call for a Convention to discuss the future of Italy, to start tomorrow: there is a window of opportunity, and we would be craven not to make the most of it. De l'audace, Signori, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace."
    Ferdinando had to make an effort not to show his pleasure: Camillo quoting a Jacobin (2) to spur the cautious Venetians to action was certainly one of the most unexpected events this spring of 1848 had brought, but it was also a proof of flexibility and political acumen which was most promising for the future.
    "Prince Ferdinando has however decided to share in advance our plan with you, our trusted ally, so that you may start to give it consideration before it is unveiled before the Convention. The Kingdom of Sardinia will propose that...."

Cavour spoke at length before concluding:
    "Many details will need to be discussed and agreed, and there will be time for that, but tomorrow the Italians attending to the Convention will be asked if they are bold enough to march together towards the future: it will be a revolution to be achieved by consent and through the laws. No change is going to be imposed by force on the unwilling, but I believe that history will pass a harsh judgment on those who are too timid or too frightened to raise to this challenge."

The Venetian delegates had kept their counsel, but at least no serious objection had been made.
    After their departure, Ferdinando said: "A very impressive performance, Camillo, I've never seen anything at this level, and I count it as a win even if no explicit approval has been forthcoming yet from "our trusted ally", as you so nicely described them." A thin smile, in preparation for the last barb "I have to apologize to my father, though: he was the first to see who truly you are, a Jacobin in disguise" (3)

Footnotes​
    1. Archduke Ranieri is the father-in-law of Ferdinando​
    2. A famous quote from the speech made by Georges Danton to the French National Assembly on 2 September 1792​
    3. Carlo Alberto labelled young Camillo di Cavour as a Jacobin during his stint as a page at the Court in Turin​
    Made in @LordKalvan e Tarabas

Narrative Interlude #29: An Offer Which Cannot Be Refused
  • An Offer Which Cannot Be Refused
    Villa Pindemonte, 5 April 1848, Noon

The ballroom of Villa Pindemonte had been selected to host the ceremonial offer of the Sicilian crown : a single ornate chair was set at the farthest end of the room, and a red carpet led to it from the entrance, with big vases of spring flowers lining the walls.
    Princess Maria Cristina was sitting in the chair, dressed in a cornflower blue dress which complemented well her complexion. Her eyes were sparkling, but her face showed no emotion.
    On her left side, her husband was standing, in the full dress uniform of a lieutenant general of Carabinieri: a single decoration shone on his breast, the medal awarded him at Goito, and his right hand was resting on the handle of his sword.
    On her right, slightly removed, Ferdinando and Cavour were also standing: the prince in the full dress uniform of a lieutenant general of Bersaglieri, the count in a smart black frock coat.
    Slowly the guests filled the room: foreign diplomats, delegates from the various Italian states, military officers. A young man set up an easel in a corner from where he had a good vantage point of the proceedings: Giovanni Fattori (1), who had already produced many sketches of the events since he had arrived at Goito the day of the battle.

Precisely at noon, the majordomo announced in a stentorian voice: "The honorable delegates of the Parliament of the Kingdom of Sicily: Professor Mariano Stabile, Minister for Foreign Affairs; Count Emelrico Amari, Minister for Justice; Colonel Giuseppe La Masa, Minister for War."

The three delegates slowly marched along the carpet, until they got close to the Princess, where they stopped and bowed deeply .
    "Your Royal Highness, we are here on behalf of the Parliament and the Provisional Government of the Kingdom of Sicily. Do we have leave to speak?" Prof. Stabile, as the acting Foreign Minister was the leader of the delegation.
    "Welcome to Villa Pindemonte, Signori Delegati. You have my leave to speak."
    "Your Royal Highness, the Sicilian Parliament has unanimously voted in favor of offering the crown of Sicily to Your Royal Highness.
    Will you accept the offer of the crown of Sicily? Will you promise to uphold the Constitution of the Kingdom, to defend the liberties of the Sicilian people and to dispense fair justice? "
    Maria Cristina stood: "I do accept the crown of Sicily, freely offered to me by a free people. I do solemnly promise to uphold the Constitution, defend Sicilian liberties and dispense fair justice, so help me God. Let it be known that upon my coronation in Palermo, I will reign as Costanza (2) , second of that name, in token of my commitment to Sicily and its people, and of my respect for their long and proud history."

It was a great success, and Boggio was madly scribbling notes for the article Cavour had commissioned him to write, while Fattori was producing sketch after sketch of the ceremony.
    Cavour asked Ferdinando in a whisper: " Did you like the second surprise your sister just sprung on the Delegation?"
    "It was well thought, and flawlessly delivered. Did you plan this?"
    "I would be proud to claim this idea as my own, but no: your sister came up with this herself."

The designated Queen reviewed the 1st Sicilian Volunteers, standing at attention on the lawn of Villa Pindemonte, hoisting the Sicilian flag: a tricolore, with a golden triskele in the white field. She warmly complimented their commander: "You are to be commended, Major Pilo. They appear to be very good men, and very smartly attired. Where are they going to be deployed?".
    "At the bridge of Zevio, Madam. They will take turns with other formations of Volunteers during the investment of Verona."
    "I am sure they will be a credit to Sicily, Major. You can let them at ease now, no need to keep them standing like this forever."
    "No need, but this is their will: to stand up as free men, for their free country, and to honor their chosen Queen."
    "A true Queen's Guard", Henri remarked, with satisfaction.

Maria Cristina moved slowly toward the other guests, and the cold collation arranged on the lawn, while the troops shouted three times"Long live the Queen". Remarkably, some of the loudest cries came from the Neapolitan volunteers who had come to Isola della Scala under their Honorary Coronel , Cristina Trivulzio di Belgioioso. "It looks like there are other unanticipated volunteers for your Queen's Guard, my love".
    "It's a bit premature, isn't it, Henri? I'm not yet the queen of Sicily."
    "You've not yet been formally crowned, but I'm sure you're already the queen of their hearts. Should I be jealous? "
    "Never, my knight. It was an exciting day, though, and it's far from over. I'm looking forward to the opera event which is coming next. Most of the singers are pretty famous."
    "I just hope the shouts of outrage from Naples will not drown their singing. I can tell you from personal experience that Ferdinand of Bourbon, or "the other Ferdinand" as many call him, can be pretty loud when displeased."

"May I intrude , Your Royal Highness? I would like to congratulate you on this most auspicious day."
    "An official congratulation from the British Ambassador on behalf of the British Government, Sir Ralph?"
    Ralph Abernathy laughed: " Alas, today it's just my own heartfelt personal congratulations. You know that the rules of diplomacy oblige us to play some silly games most of the times."
    "I know very well, sir Ralph: Monsignor Corboli Bussi behaved exactly like you did just a few moments ago, and for similar reasons.
    I hope you will pay a visit in Palermo, though, in the future. We can reminisce about our cruise on the Po."
    "On the other hand, I can offer official congratulations, Your Royal Highness. The Republic of St. Mark has recognized the Kingdom of Sicily, even if there has not yet been the time to exchange diplomats, and obviously recognizes the right of the Sicilian Parliament to choose a Queen. I have to praise them: their choice was done with impeccable taste." Count Mocenigo bowed smoothly "We would be honored if Your Highness would choose to visit Venice in the next future. You may have also heard that the Republic has pledged to dispatch some naval units to Palermo, to show her commitment to the freedom of other fellow Italians. As Sir Ralph certainly knows, the fleets of the Republic are in full control of the Northern Adriatic. " Count Mocenigo addressed a bright and somehow sharkish smile to the British Ambassador "Incidentally, it would be helpful if the British Government were to expedite the diplomatic recognition of the Republic. We are already finalizing diplomatic matters with France, the Swiss Confederation and the United States of America, and, besides Sicily, also Sardinia and Tuscany have officially recognized the Republic. The government of the Republic of St. Mark would be quite disappointed not to have an official British representative in Venice for the feast of the Ascension, when the traditional ceremony will again be performed, after the sad lapse of the past 50 years (3)."
    "I was not aware that Tuscany had already recognized the Republic, thank you for confirming this, Count. I will certainly inform London, and also let them know about the ceremony planned for the feast of the Ascension: the British people have always had a weak spot for time-hallowed pageants"
    "My pleasure, Sir Ralph. Again my warmest congratulations, Your Royal Highness."

Count Mocenigo drifted toward the edge of the lawn, where two gentlemen were quietly talking together:
    "A good day to you, Signor Cattaneo. May I enquire if your friend is Professor Ferrari? Signor Tommaseo has always spoken highly of him, both as a philosopher and as a patriot."
    "He is indeed Giovanni Ferrari (4), Count Mocenigo, just arrived from Paris. I have to say that you look in very high spirits today."
    "The ceremonial offer of the Sicilian crown was very moving, and on top of that I just managed to give a couple of nudges, diplomatic ones of course, to the British Ambassador. I find both things eminently pleasurable."
    "In such a case, you might be so kind to explain why Signor Manin appears to be so glum, and signor Avesani doesn't look much happier. Has something happened during the meeting with prince Ferdinando and Cavour?"
    "Not at all. Both the Prince and the Count were the very soul of courtesy, and the discussion was quite friendly and positive. I might say it helped to clear the few lingering doubts I was still nurturing. However, both Manin and Avesani are lawyers, and they don't like to make decisions in the absence of clear precedents or worse in what they would call a vacuum juris (5). I might even go as far as to say that if there is no real problem, a good lawyer may become truly unhappy. No offense, signor Ferrari."
    "No offense taken. I never practiced the legal profession, even if I got a law degree at Pavia: philosophy was always my true interest, and unsurprisingly it led me to politics. But please do go on."
    "It's very simple: Count Cavour made an offer to the Republic that Manin and Avesani could not refuse. Now they are torturing themselves to find a legal way to accept, which is not really there to be found, but it is also not needed. When someone makes you an offer which cannot be refused, there is only one way to go: accept it. It has been an unwritten law for the thousand years the Serenissima stood. ."

Footnotes
    1. Giovanni Fattori is a young painter from Livorno, who ITTL joined the Tuscan Volunteers, and reached Goito in time to witness the battle. He became pretty famous IOTL too, but his career ITTL will be much faster and rewarding. His first popularity came from the sketches he drew in Goito and Isola della Scala (the most famous ones being the charge of the Carabinieri at the bridge of Goito and the kiss between Maria Cristina and Henri in front of Villa Pindemonte).​
    2. An obvious reference to Costanza di Altavilla, queen of Sicily and mother of Frederik II of Houenstaufen​
    3. The Ascension was one the the great feast days in Venice: on that day, the Doge performed the traditional Wedding of the Sea​
    4. Giovanni Ferrari, Milanese. A degree in law at the university of Pavia, and a doctorate in Philosophy at the Sorbonne, after he moved to Paris. He never practiced law, and preferred to devote his effort to the study of philosophers like Vico and Campanella. During his stay in Paris, he was often a guest at the salons of Princess Belgioioso. After a brush-up with the bishop of Strasbourg, which costed him the chair of philosophy at the university, became more and more interested in politics, and was a collaborator of the famous Revue des deux mondes. He wrote a denunciation of Gioberti's neo-guelph ideas (in 1844 an article about La philosophie catholique en Italie praised Rosmini's ideas, and condemned Gioberti as a defender of the reactionary Papal Government), and made very clear his own political ideas in another article, La révolution et les révolutionnaires en Italie, written at the beginning of 1845. He left Paris when he heard the news about the insurrection of Milan. While clearly in the Democratic camp, he does not subscribe to any established faction.​
    5. The problem of conscience which is troubling Manin and Avesani is that the powers of the Provisional Government are not clearly established, and obviously there is no precedent to call up. Mocenigo is more cynical, and also more Venetian: decisions in Venice's history have always been taken by consensus and to address practical necessities rather than by precedent or lawyering.​
    Made in @LordKalvan e Tarabas

Narrative Interlude #30: An Opera Matinée, a Grand Ball and Some Politicking
  • An Opera Matinée, a Grand Ball and Some Politicking
    Villa Pindemonte, 5 April 1848, Afternoon

An opera matinée had been arranged for the early afternoon by the Republic of Saint Mark: opera singers and choir from La Fenice theatre and a somehow reduced orchestra including musicians from Venice and Vicenza had traveled to Villa Pindemonte for the occasion and the anticipation of this event was high. The star singers were Ignazio Marini (basso), Ettore Profili (tenore), Giuseppina Speranza (soprano) and Natale Costantini (baritono), while the orchestra would be conducted by Gaetano Mares (1).
    The program featured arias from some of the most famous operas by Giuseppe Verdi : Ernani, I Lombardi alla Prima Crociata, Nabucco, Attila (2).
    It was a great success (luckily the ballroom of Villa Pindemonte had decent acoustics) and was enjoyed not just from the upper crust seated in comfort in the ballroom, but also by the hoi polloi outside, since the windows had been sensibly left open.
    Everything was well received, and well applauded too, but unsurprisingly the two famous choirs, "O Signore, dal tetto natio" (3) and "Va, pensiero, sull'ali dorate"(4) were those receiving the most thunderous applause. At least until the soprano, Giuseppina Speranza, came forward to sing the last, unanticipated, piece of the matinée: "Il Canto degli Italiani", written by Goffredo Mameli (5) just the year before, but already very popular. Everyone listened in reverent silence, the purity of the soprano's voice counterpointed by the choir singing the refrain after each stanza, and when the music ended everyone was on their feet asking for a bis, which Signora Speranza had to concede.

While the guests were leaving the ballroom after congratulating the performers, Cavour came close to Prince Ferdinando and whispered: "It was not an idea of mine, the last song was a complete surprise for me too: no Jacobine jokes, please. Although, thinking back on it, it was a good surprise: hearts and minds, you know. I looked at the Milanese delegation while Signora Speranza was singing, and they were pleasantly surprised too. I guess that the La Fenice theatre must be a Jacobin club in disguise, after all."
    "I had no problem with the last song, Camillo. It is anti-Austrian and advocates for an Italian brotherhood: what could be more fitting for our present circumstances?"
    "There are occasions on which I find Your Royal Highness too much level headed and understanding. On my side, I just hope that no hot-head will start hailing you as king of Italy tonight, after the wine and the champagne start to flow. It would be very awkward."
    "I have always the utmost confidence in you, but if a couple of big sergeants may help to keep things smooth, just let me know."

Villa Borghi, 5 April 1848, Evening

The first dance of the evening was reserved to the Queen-elected and her husband. Why they were waltzing on the floor, Maria Cristina thought that this was the perfect ending of a perfect day: the offer of the crown, a great opera matinée, and now a dance with her husband. What could anyone, even a Queen, ask for more? Well, maybe there was one thing, and since she had not wasted her time since arriving to Villa Pindemonte, the genius loci of this magic place might be willing to give her, in due time, the last and most important gift.

There were never too many couples dancing at the same time, given the unfortunate scarcity of ladies attending the ball, but everyone was having a good time, and Cavour noticed with approval that the various delegations were mingling together.
    A good omen, thought the Count, even if it was ironic that most of the music was coming from Austria. No, it was not the right way to look at things, he rebuked himself: say rather, to the victor go the spoils, and that includes the last song too.
    With a satisfied smile, he walked toward princess Belgioioso : always a good planner, he had made certain to book a dance with her even before the dinner ended, since the princess would certainly be very busy tonight. And not just dancing, mused Cavour: it looked like a formal ball would work well as a prosecution of politics through other means, if he was correctly reading the people who were around her. All to the good, all to the good.

"Thank you for reserving this dance for me, Cristina. Are you enjoying yourself?"
    "Very much so, Camillo. I have never felt so much alive. Coming straight here has been the best decision of my life, even if I had to hire a steamship to do it. I have also been much impressed by Princess Maria Cristina, and by her husband too: if you want my opinion, the Sicilian Parliament has been truly inspired when they voted to offer her the crown."
    "You may be quite right, you know? But you should thank Prince Ruggero Settimo, since he was the master puppeteer in Palermo"
    "Is that so? Well, since you've become a master puppeteer in your own right, it is a huge compliment you're making him. You've changed, Camillo, since the days we met in Paris, and for the good too. You've become more focused, more mature, and luckily you have not lost either your wit or your sharpness."
    "Prince Ferdinando seems to have this effect on people, and I've been close to him for almost ten years now. But you forgot to praise my curiosity, which is stronger than ever. How are things going with the Milanese delegation, if I may ask?"
    "Better than I expected, although Casati and Cattaneo will never see things eye-to-eye. This said, I noticed that Carlo Cattaneo is a bit more relaxed these days, and less abrasive. He mentioned meeting your Prince Ferdinando in Venice, and it looks like my friend Carlo is now unable to make up his mind about him. Which is out of character, since he never had any good thing to say about royalty. Maybe your Prince can truly change people. I want to meet him myself, Camillo. Can you arrange a few minutes for me tonight?"
    "I'll do my best, Cristina. Truth to say, he also said something about wanting to meet the new friend of his sister. What about Mazzini, though? I've heard with my ears that he still loves delivering homilies to all and sundry, but what about his private speeches? Fire and brimstone and republics?"
    "He's still a very committed republican, but he was also out of character last night. He was quoting a friend of his, a German democrat, who wrote him that he loved both freedom and the unity of his country, but, having to choose between them, he'd choose freedom every day. And Mazzini added that he couldn't fault his friend's priorities, which surprised me."

Count Mocenigo was also drifting through the crowd in an only apparently random way: he was chatting up the persons he had targeted in advance, and succeeding very well. Tuscans, Lombards, Sicilians, Cispadanians, Piedmontese officers: all grist to his mill, and to the mills of the Republic too. These people were going to have a role to play in the future of Italy, even if some of them didn't know it yet , and for a welcome change there were far less idiots among them than in a comparable event hosted in Venice by the Patriciate. The events of the last couple of months had opened unexpected vistas and opportunities, and it was both pleasurable and potentially very useful to make the most out of them. Now he was talking to Gabrio Casati, the podesta' of Milan as well as the head of the Provisional Government of Lombardy, and a sister soul who had to bear with Austrian arrogance for all his life, and become adept to making bricks without straw. Count Mocenigo was sure that Casati would prosper in the new world which was being built right now: turning him into a friend and an ally would be a good move, considering the economic ties between Veneto and Lombardy.

Cavour had introduced Princess Belgioioso to Prince Ferdinando, and tactfully left them alone to chat.
    "Princess Belgioioso, I am honored to meet you. My sister has spoken at length about your many accomplishments. I believe she has decided you are the older sister she always desired and never had"
    "Your Royal Highness is too kind. I thought I had forgotten how to blush, but your words are proving me a liar" a brief argentine laugh "I was also quite impressed by Princess Maria Cristina. She is so poised, so sure of herself for a 23 year old woman, even if she is a wife and mother, and a princess to booth. Or should I say a queen?"
    "More than halfway to that, Princess. My little sister has grown a lot, and for sure she has made a huge impression on her future subjects, at least on those who have met her. Did you enjoy the matinée?"
    "It was beautifully done, just what everyone needed to forget for an afternoon that we are still at war. I do hope Your Royal Highness was not disturbed by the final song, though. It was actually written by one of your own subjects, you know, Captain Goffredo Mameli, who recently arrived here together with his friend lieutenant Bixio (6), in a battalion of 500 volunteers from Genoa under Major Corsi (7). I took the liberty to suggest the conductor to include it at the end of the matinée, since I believe it would encapsulate the reasons for which we are here: to expel the Austrians and to nurture a brotherhood among Italians."
    "The very same words I said earlier to Count Cavour. Now I understand why my sister is so stricken with you. I know Major Corsi, a good man from a good family. He sent a report to Headquarters on an incident which occurred a couple weeks ago: the battalion was marching towards the front, when they chanced on a group of Austrian stragglers who were looting a farm and committing atrocities: I will not go into details, but it was very ugly (8). If I remember right, lieutenant Bixio was in command of the advance guard who confronted the stragglers. The Austrians surrendered after a brief fight, and Bixio brought back the survivors to Major Corsi, who immediately convened a field court-martial. The accused were found guilty on multiple charges of murder, rape and torture, sentenced to death and shot by firing squad, including their commanding officer. It was all properly done, and I personally commended Major Corsi. Committing atrocities on civilians is the ugliest face of war, which is a bad business even in the best circumstances. Do you know where Captain Mameli is currently deployed?"
    "I am not sure. I was told that most recently he was at the investment of Mantua (9). There has been many reports of Austrian atrocities during the insurrection of Milan, Your Royal Highness, and also from other parts of Lombardy. I regret having to say that in some cases our fighters retaliated in kind. (10)"
    "As I said, war is an ugly business, the more so when troops are used to quash an insurrection in a city. Anyway, Mantua is going to surrender soon, so it is likely he will be coming here in a week or so. If you see him, let me know. I'd like to congratulate him in person as a poet with the gift to put fire in the hearts of men, and also as a fighter in his own right (11)."

Footnotes
    1. All the singers were quite famous IOTL too​
    2. These operas have been chosen for their patriotic undertones: the subjects were from a distant past, but no one was fooled except the censors.​
    3. From "I Lombardi alla Prima Crociata"​
    4. From "Nabucco"​
    5. Goffredo Mameli is a Genoese patriot and poet (maybe not the best of poets, since his verses were often dismissed as romantic claptrap; however "Il Canto degli Italiani" and other patriotic verses written in late 1847 had quickly become very popular) . A follower of Mazzini and a republican, but not an extremist and certainly in favor of war against Austria. IOTL, he'd die in 1849, during the gallant but doomed defense of the Roman Republic. ITTL, his future is an open book.​
    6. This is the same Nino Bixio who IOTL would fight under Garibaldi in 1859, and be his second in command for the expedition to Sicily in 1860. ITTL, Bixio is going to have a different life.​
    7. Luigi Corsi is the scion of a wealthy noble family from Savona.​
    8. The incident described here is patterned on similar events which were described by Luigi Corsi in his war diary.​
    9. Mantua is where the Genoese volunteers were deployed IOTL too.​
    10. Based on historical events, including reciprocal accusations of atrocities​
    11. Ferdinando knows that Mameli is a Mazzinian and a republican, the mention of Genoa and Nino Bixio are two giant giveaways, but he also believes that one can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Up to now, he's always been right on the money: wooing a popular poet is worth a little effort​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Last edited:
    Narrative Interlude #31: Departures, Newspapers and Worries
  • Departures, Newspapers and Worries

Villa Pindemonte - 6 April 1848, Early Morning

Prince Ferdinando and Cavour were up early, standing on the lawn to witness the departure of Henri and Ferdinando Carlo towards Udine; Maria Cristina had said her goodbyes earlier, since she felt too painful to look at her husband leaving for the war.

"I don't like sending people to the war without being able to go with them" said Ferdinand.
    "General d'Orleans is a seasoned fighter and a very reliable man, and the odds against Nugent should be in his favor" Cavour answered.
    "All true, but war is always an uncertain business and Ferdinando Carlo is neither seasoned nor very reliable."
    "You are quite right, on both counts, but it doesn't pay to worry too much. Just consider the possible outcomes. Carlo might discover that was is not a glamorous business, after all, and stop wasting money on parade soldiers as he's been doing for years. He might be killed there, doing something stupid or heroic, and solve the issue of the duchy of Parma at a stroke. Or the proverbial horse might learn to sing, stranger things have happened: Carlo might come back a hero, and this would also solve the issue of Parma. It looks to me that we are standing to gain whatever might happen.
    "That's because you are a cynic, don't deny it. Since we are talking of fools, any news of Gioberti?
    "Count Balbo confirmed that he left Turin two days ago, pursuant your orders. If nothing untoward happens, he will be in Rome in three or four days."
    "Very good. I will ask Menabrea to send an officer to Verona under a flag of truce to propose a parley for the day after tomorrow. It's high time to call the fortress to surrender, since the investment is now completed. Let's hope my father-in-law will not choose defiance at all costs. Now let's go to Villa Borghi: another dance is about to start."

Turin, Prime Minister Office - 6 April 1848, Early Morning

"Have you seen today's issue of "Il Risorgimento"? " asked Count Balbo.
    "Yes, of course, just like all of Turin. I was informed that they had to run a second print, the first issue sold out almost immediately" Vincenzo Ricci (1), Minister for Interior Affairs sounded a bit amused "Princess Maria Cristina has lionized all of the first page: if the news have been reported correctly, she has promised, on acceptance of the crown, to uphold the Constitution, to defend the freedom of the Sicilians and to deliver fair justice to all and sundry. Then she went on to review a contingent of Sicilian volunteers, and now all of them are ready and willing to eat out of her hand. I suppose we can be thankful that she was wearing a dress, cornflower blue in color, if you are interested. At least she was not in full armor, and holding up a tricolore."
    "I know personally Pier Carlo Boggio: he is usually a very reliable journalist. Of course in this particular case there might have been an editorial input from the count of Cavour on how to shape the narrative" Lorenzo Pareto (2), Minister for Foreign Affairs " I also read page two, with a detailed description of the opera matinée which followed. Another great success, I believe, Verdi's arias are always popular. It might be of interest to you both that the last piece was a republican patriotic song, "Il Canto degli Italiani", and at the end the Lieutenant was the first one on his feet to applaud."
    "He did what?" Count Balbo thought that Pareto's levity was annoying, more than usual.
    "He has been quoted as follows "It is a patriotic song, advocating was against Austria and calling for a brotherhood of all the Italians, therefore it is perfectly fitting to the time and place". There was no mention of a crusade, this time around. The "brotherhood of all Italians" was later cemented at a Grand Ball in honor of "the Queen-elect of Sicily", which is also reported in loving detail. Page three. I swear that if the Czar of All Russias had suddenly died yesterday, he would not get any better than page four. Of course, all these articles have already been sent by telegraph to their foreign correspondent papers, and by now have been printed all over Europe." Pareto was looking suspiciously amused, in the opinion of one Cesare Balbo. "If you would like another little tidbit, your good friend Marquis Capponi didn't miss a single one of these events, and he is not reported lodging any complaint."
    The Prime Minister sighed heavily, but then he squared his shoulders, and looked sharply at the two ministers facing him: "When the king asked me to form this ministry, the first one after the Statute, I accepted with great reluctance, and only because of my duty to the dynasty and to Sardinia. Just three weeks have passed since that fateful day, and now the king is gravely ill, Prince Ferdinando is Lieutenant and I've not only to dance at the click-clack of a telegraph, not only I have to face novel challenges every day, but now I have also to consider the public opinion and the newspapers. So be it, we will do whatever is needed and whatever is requested of us.
    We don't have yet to deal with a Parliament and the public opinion is not going to be a problem: the war is going well, and even the news arriving from Isola della Scala are helping to keep the populace entertained and supportive. Tuscany and the Republic of St. Mark are proving to be proper allies: the presence of Marquis Capponi at Isola della Scala is proof that the Grand Duke has had no change of mind. The fleet originally intended for service in the North Adriatic will go instead to Palermo, departing in three days. There they will be joined by Venetian ships too: no better proof can be asked to confirm that Venice is full in control at sea. Signor Gioberti has left Turin two days ago on a mission to Rome, ordered by Prince Ferdinando personally. Please keep in mind that all these information are strictly confidential, and for your personal knowledge only. Marquis Ricci, please make sure that the order of the Jesuits and all their known supporters are kept under discreet surveillance: just as a precaution, of course, but be ready to intervene if needed. The surveillance on republicans can be relaxed, though: as you gentlemen, and this newspaper, have proved to me they are not a concern at this stage. Marquis Pareto, we need detailed information on the reactions in London and Paris, if any. Talking of London, a major Chartist march is planned there in a few days: we will need timely information about that too. Thank you for your time, gentlemen."

Footnotes​
    1. Vincenzo Ricci, born in Genoa in a noble family, was Minister for Interior Affairs IOTL too. Very moderate liberal.​
    2. Lorenzo Pareto, also born in Genoa in a noble family, was Minister for Foreign Affairs IOTL too. Also a moderate liberal, but much closer to democrat positions. IOTL, he supported the Genoa insurrection of 1849, and was arrested after it was repressed by Gen. La Marmora. Freed after the amnesty ordered by VEII, he returned to Parliament, and later on became Speaker of the Chamber of Deputies​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Last edited:
    Narrative Interlude #32: Stand and Be Counted - Part 1
  • Stand and Be Counted - Part 1
    Villa Borghi, 6 April 1848 - Mid-Morning

The ballroom of Villa Borghi had been re-arranged to host the first session of the Convention of Italian States. There would be just two internationally recognized states represented, the Kingdom of Sardinia and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, but the three Provisional Governments who had sent official delegations to Isola della Scala (Sicily, Lombardy and Cispadania) were in full control of the respective territories. Two other Italian states had not sent any official delegation: the Papal States and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (the latter had not changed its name, even if in Sicily just the citadel of Messina was still in the hands of soldiers loyal to Ferdinand of Bourbon). Then there was a certain number of "observers" (1), including monsignor Corboli Bussi, who had courteously declined an offer to sit as a delegate from the Papal States, colonel Carlo Bignami (2) of Bologna, prof. Antonio Scialoja (3) from Naples, Colonel Giuseppe Montanelli (4) and of course Giuseppe Mazzini and Giuseppe Ferrari, most recently arrived from Paris, sitting near Carlo Cattaneo.
    Prince Ferdinando reviewed slowly the people filing into the ballroom, and sitting down in their allotted places: there was an air of anticipation on their faces, an expectation that something important and good was going to happen. To be fair, there were some exceptions, like Camillo and Count Mocenigo, who managed to keep a non-committal expression. Then his gaze drifted to the area reserved to the observers. Two of them stood out: his own sister and Princess Belgioioso, sitting on the first row, side-by-side. In any court of Europe it would have been considered outright scandalous, as would have been even in the most liberal parliaments. Isola della Scala was apparently a place out of time, with its own special rules, and he was not getting a sense of surprise or condemnation from the delegates, or from the observers. The prince hid a smile remembering how his sister had answered when he had recommended her to keep her counsel during the proceeds: "Count Cavour has already given me that advice, and more than one time. This is why Princess Belgioioso will be with me: she will speak on mine and her behalf, if needed. She will also provide proper chaperoning for me, since my husband will not be there." The last was delivered with a prim expression, belied by the sparkle in her eyes.

"Principesse, Signori Delegati, Signori Osservatori: benvenuti. Welcome all to the first session of this Convention of the Italian States. The Convention was not planned in advance, as it is usual for this kind of meetings: it was convened by my decision in order to take advantage of the presence here of so many highly-placed representatives from a vast majority of the Italian States. To which end, you may ask, if we are still fighting against the Austrian empire? We cannot still claim victory yet, but the war is proceeding well, thanks to the efforts of the regular troops of Sardinia, Tuscany and the Papal States , and also thanks to the dedication and the courage of those patriots who first fought to free themselves from the chains of tyranny, and then flocked to our banners to continue the fight until the last Austrian will be expelled from Italy. But what then? It now the time to devise and plan what we need to do in order to ensure that after the victory we will be able to live free, secure and prosperous in our beautiful Italy. Is this a dream? The last month has proven that dreams may come true: the Republic of St. Mark has been resurrected, the Kingdom of Sicily has regained its freedom and an elected Parliament sits in Palermo; Constitutions have been granted in the Papal States, in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and in my own Kingdom of Sardinia, even in the Kingdom of Two Sicilies; the peoples of Lombardy and Cispadania have their destiny and future in their own hands, and will freely decide about it.
    I say to you, however, that now it is the moment to be bold, and to look at the next necessary step: a Confederation of the Italian States, to make sure that foreign invaders cannot march anymore across our land with impunity, the basic freedoms of all citizens are guaranteed and commerce and industry may flourish. We will no longer be "calpesti, derisi, perché non siam popolo, perché siam divisi"(5)
    Count Cavour, in whom I have complete confidence, will go into the details of our preliminary proposal. It will take a few months at least to consider and discuss satisfactorily every aspect of it, but it is a necessary first step which I am convinced must be taken now: it will give confidence to all Italians, and will put foreign powers on notice that Italy can and will defend herself against any hostile action with unity, strength and courage.

First of all, I believe it is necessary to appoint a President of this convention: I nominate Count Mocenigo of Venice for this position."

Gabrio Casati was the quickest to jump in: "I second the nomination of Count Mocenigo"
    Camillo Cavour was no laggard either: "I propose that nominations are closed."

"Is there any additional nomination to be considered? Any discussion or objection?" The prince was punctiliously making sure that any potential dissent could be immediately aired. There were some stirrings among the democrats, but no one rose to speak. "Will you then accept Count Mocenigo as President of this Convention?"

A roar of assent answered him: Count Mocenigo would be President of the Convention.

Count Mocenigo courteously bowed to the room: "Signori Delegati, I am heartened by your confidence, and I do promise to put my best efforts in fulfilling the role of President of this Convention. It is a momentous day for all Italians: what we are going to debate and decide will have a major impact not just on the future of each one of our individual states, but also on the future of Italy as a whole. May the Omnipotent God bless us with clear minds and stout hearts, may He cleanse us of egotism and fear, may He lead us on the path of wisdom and righteousness.
    His Royal Highness has already told us what is in essence the proposal of the Kingdom of Sardinia: to create a Confederation of Italian States, which will protect us from external threats, safeguard the freedoms we have gained and increase the prosperity of all. A worthy challenge, a task that no honest and wise man would refuse. It is however necessary that this proposal is better explained to us, so that we may be in a position to make the right decisions. Therefore I recognize the Count of Cavour, and ask him to give us additional details about the proposed Confederation."

Footnotes
    1. A catch-all definition of those persons who were not entitled to the title of "Delegates", which required a formal appointment by a Government​
    2. Milanese-born, a banker from Bologna who had participates in the insurrection of 1831. Commandant of the Guardia Nazionale, since Cardinal D'Amat, Legate for Bologna, Imola and Ferrara had authorized in 1847. He had led a battalion of Guardia Nazionale who had gone to Modena to help with the insurrection. IOTL, he led the same battalion into Veneto, participating in the defense of Vicenza and Venice, and later on he had fought in Rome against the French. ITTL, due to changed events in Veneto, his battalion is in Ferrara, and he had travelled to Isola della Scala to ask for a chance to fight. He is going to get the command he is looking for, but he will be surprised by where he is going to be sent.​
    3. Antonio Scialoja, an economist and university professor from Naples, where he had recently returned after some years of exile in Turin (where he had taught political economy at the university, and had also became a close friend of Cavour). IOTL, he would still be in Naples, trying to support the liberals. ITTL, he has been sent to Isola della Scala to make again contact with Cavour and Prince Ferdinando, and to let them know that a secret society was working in Naples against Ferdinando di Borbone.​
    4. Giuseppe Montanelli, from Pisa, where he was a university professor, teaching civil and commercial law. Active in politics as a moderate democract, advocating reforms and campaigning against the encroachment of the Jesuits in Tuscany. He did welcome the election of Pio IX, believing he would support the reform of the church Montanelli also advocated, but was soon disillusioned by the lack of concrete steps in that direction. When the war started in 1848, he led a battalion of his university students to fight in the war. IOTL, he was wounded at Curtatone, near Mantua, where his students, against all odds, stopped an Austrian attack. ITTL, he has fought in Trentino, where he was wounded fighting a successful action against Austrian Jaegers, who had ambushed a column of Sardinian regulars. He's in Isola della Scala recovering from his wound.​
    5. A quote from "Il Canto degli Italiani" by Mameli. Roughly, the verses translates as "we have been trampled and derided, because we are not a nation, because we are divided"​
    Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas

Narrative Interlude #32: Stand and Be Counted - Part 2
  • Stand and Be Counted - Part 2
    Villa Borghi, 6 April 1848 - Late Morning

"Grazie, Signor Presidente." Camillo Benso faced the audience, ready with his speech. "Honorable Delegates, I will do my best to explain the plan the Kingdom of Sardinia is proposing for the creation of an Italian Confederation, an idea that would have been unthinkable just a few months ago. I do well remember the difficulties that it was necessary to overcome when Monsignor Corboli Bussi arrived in Turin last September to discuss the proposal of a Custom Union of the Italian States which had the blessing of the Holy Father in Rome. It would serve no purpose to go into details (1), but in the end the Customs Union which was signed in early November 1847 was limited to just three of the Italian States: the Papal States, Tuscany and Sardinia. It is not a coincidence that these three states are also at the forefront of the war against Austria, a war that has destroyed the political system which was created to keep Italy weak and disunited. The great puppet master in Vienna, prince Metternich, was afraid that any form of union, even a mild one as the Customs Union was, would have weakened the chains that had been imposed on Italy at the Congress of Vienna.
    The last five months, however, have seen great and momentous changes, not just in Italy but over all of Europe: the puppet master himself is now but an exile beggar, the Austrian army of Italy has been completely defeated, Lombardy, Venetia and the Cispadanian duchies are free. After centuries of foreign oppressions, the Italians, with the blessing of the Holy Father and the help of God, have taken their destiny in their hands, in our hands-and our hands alone. As my own King said at the crossing of the Ticino: faremo da soli (2). What was an impossible dream last autumn, has now become a real opportunity this beautiful spring, but we have to take it, to forge a solid reality, which will blossom into an endless and bountiful summer in the form of a free Italian Confederacy!
    Let us build on the foundation of the Italian Customs Union, to be extended to all the Italian States. But Signori, this is far from enough for our beloved Italy.
    Just two words: freedom and safety. Freedom must be secure, but at the same time, safety must never cost us our freedom: 'They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' said a wise man (3) in a far away land three generations ago, when he was faced by problems and opportunities not dissimilar from those we are facing now.
    We believe that both freedom and safety can be best achieved under a Confederal Union.
    At present, Constitutions have been granted in a number of Italian States, and they are similar but at the same times different. We are not proposing to replace them with a single one, for we are united in our diversity. At the same time it is necessary that basic rights and principles should be the same all over the Confederation, in particular the equality of every citizen in front of the law. Let a Constitutional Convention, with democratically elected delegates from each member state, be summoned. The delegates will discuss and prepare a draft of a Confederal Constitution and a Confederal Bill of Rights. The proposed Constitution will then be confirmed by plebiscites in each member State. The Constitutional Convention will also propose the powers to be devolved by the member states to the Confederation, the way Confederal matters will be discussed in an ad-hoc Parliament as well as the form of the Confederal government. The Constitutional Convention will also act as ad-interim Parliament until the Constitution is ratified and members of Parliament have been elected.
    As far as safety, it will be guaranteed by a Defense Pact, and enforced by a Confederal Army and Navy. Each member state will contribute to them in proportion to their population and capacity.
    Membership in the Confederation will be by free and voluntary decision: no state will be forcibly included. At the same time, it is quite obvious that the benefits resulting from membership in the Confederation will not be extended to non-members.
    The states will be in a Customs Union, and no levies or duties will be charged on interstate commerce. I believe that the Confederation will also be in a position to facilitate the construction and financing of infrastructures like road and railways, which by their own nature will often serve more than a single state, but this and other issues can be discussed later: the final configuration of the Italian Confederation, and the powers vested in it, will be decided at the Constitutional Convention, on the basis of the principals I have just enounced. What is requested from you today, Signori Delegati, is an acceptance of these principals.

I beg your indulgence for repeating what should be already obvious: we are not proposing a unitary state, not even a Federation, where the powers of the Federal Government are significantly larger than under the Confederal scheme I have outlined. The strength of Italy is built not just on a common ancestry, a common faith and a common language: it is also built on the differences between Italians from Piedmont and Italians from Tuscany, or Italian from Veneto and Italians from Sicily, and we do not see any benefit in renouncing our diversities. Prince Ferdinando more than once said: "Italy is a lush, beautiful tree, which produces many different kinds of tasty fruits."

One last point: the Italian Confederation will need a President, and I believe that no one will be surprised by the name I am proposing for the Presidency."

Cavour stopped for a moment. Prince Ferdinando had been keeping an inscrutable expression on his face during the speech, but he had constantly scrutinized the delegates: anticipation, some surprise, no evident rejection until now. When Cavour stopped speaking, he suddenly felt at the center of everyone's attention, and had to suppress a smile. Where they really believing Cavour would propose him for the Presidency? The only exception was Monsignor Corboli Bussi, who was showing some concern: the canny diplomat could certainly anticipate the name that was going to be proposed, and wasn't happy with it.

"There is only one name I can put on the table for the Presidency: our Holy Father Pius, Ninth of his name, who with his compassion and love for Italy and all Italians has opened the path which has brought us all here.
    My presentation is now complete, signor Presidente. I remain available for any clarification that might be required by the Honorable Delegates."

"Thank you, Count Cavour. Our thanks for your compelling and exhaustive speech. I am sure that many questions will be asked, but I suggest we can conclude our proceeds for now. We will reconvene in two hour time, which will afford the delegations time enough to discuss what has been presented to them, and prepare their questions."

Footnotes​
    1. Austria (following her traditional protectionist policy) refused to consider the Customs Union proposed by Pius IX, and pressured the Duchies of Parma and Modena to stay out too. Ferdinando di Borbone did not see any advantage either.​
    2. Carlo Alberto said "We'll manage on our own", refusing to ask for French support in the war​
    3. Benjamin Franklin, although not in the context of the American Revolution, as Cavour seems to imply​

Narrative Interlude #33: Case Rubicon
  • Case Rubicon
    Villa Borghi, 6 April 1848 - Noon

Prince Ferdinando was quietly congratulating Camillo Benso on a speech very well done, when his aide approached him:
    "An urgent message from our embassy in Rome, Your Highness. It has just been decoded and is marked Priority/Secret."
    "Thank you, Augusto." Ferdinando opened the message, and read it intently. He stood thinking for a few seconds, then he handed it to Cavour: "Case Rubicon, Camillo."
    While the count was reading, he turned to his aide: "I will need Admiral Graziani and General Menabrea quickly, Augusto. Fetch them for me, please. I'll be in the usual meeting room."
    Camillo had finished reading the message: "It's happening, and faster than we thought."
    "A good sign: it smells of desperation. Desperate people are known to make mistakes, mistakes we avoid by planning for different contingencies in advance. Camillo, please bring colonel Bignami to the meeting room: do it personally, but try to be inconspicuous. We do not want anybody suspect that a crisis is brewing in Rome, not today, at least." Awed, Camillo did not respond: he just did as his... friend? Lieutenant? No.. as his Commander-in-Chief ordered.

Ferdinando started walking toward the main staircase, returning the greetings of the delegates, but stopping only to collect Count Mocenigo on the way, murmuring: "A word in private, my dear Count ".
    By the time Ferdinando and Mocenigo reached the meeting room, Cavour and Bignami were already there.
    "Your Highness, Count Mocenigo: may I introduce Colonel Bignami, Commander of the National Guard in Bologna and just recently arrived from Ferrara?"
    "Welcome to Isola della Scala, colonel. I heard many good things of yourself and of your men (1). I understand you have travelled here in order to ask for a chance to play a more active role in the war."
    "I do thank Your Highness for your kind words, on behalf of my men, too. It is true: we would like to play some role in the war, if there is an opportunity." The colonel was standing at a rigid parade rest.
    "An opportunity has indeed come up, Colonel, and for an independent command too." The prince smiled thinly, before continuing: "Let us be seated. Two other participants in this little meeting are expected, and they should be here shortly. "
    As on cue, there was a knock on the door, and Menabrea and Graziani entered. "Welcome gentlemen, please be seated too. Augusto, please remain in the corridor and make sure we are not disturbed."

"Gentlemen, before starting: the information I am going to present is strictly confidential, and cannot be revealed to anyone without our explicit consent. Is this understood?"
    The prince waited for a round of confirmations before continuing:
    "I have just received an important message from Marquis Pareto (2), our ambassador in Rome. Trouble has been brewing in that city for the last couple of weeks, and I am sure that everyone remembers the disorders of 29 March, when a peaceful demonstration ended up in a riot and was brutally repressed. Two thirds of the Roman National Guard have volunteered to fight in the war, and the battalions left home are too undermanned to guarantee the order in the city, as they have done since the Holy Father granted them leave to be mustered. The presence of volunteers in Friuli and in Dalmatia is certainly welcome, but we would be undutiful sons of Mother Church if we were not concerned with the possibility of increasing unrest and civil disturbances in Rome. This eventuality was discussed with Gen. Durando and Admiral Graziani during my recent visit in Venice. The government of the Republic of St. Mark and General Ferrari, commanding the volunteers, were also made privy to the plans, denominated Case Rubicon, that have been prepared as a contingency. As a consequence, 7,000 volunteers from the Papal States were kept in Ferrara, as a strategic reserve for any possible need.

When Case Rubicon was discussed, it was assumed that the possibility of unrest in Rome would have been detected early enough to make sure that the Papal Volunteers would have the time to reach Rome before it was too late. Unfortunately, it appears that events are moving at a very fast pace. The telegram sent by Marquis Pareto is very revealing in this regard. The Holy Father has rescinded the obligation for all Jews to be confined in the Ghetto, and the wall surrounding it was demolished on 31 March. The following day, the Ghetto was assaulted by bands of marauders (3), allegedly protesting Jewish competition on the labor market. There has been an attempt to blame Jacobins and liberals for this outrage, but the ambassador is positive that the assault was fueled by sermons preached in the parish churches close to the Ghetto, and criminals and ruffians were part of it. Similarly, ferocious brawling has erupted between carters and draymen based in Rome and their competitors from the countryside (4). It may seem a little thing, but Roman populace is dependent on a steady flow of foodstuff from the country to the city, and these disturbances are increasing their discontent. It is believed that agents provocateurs have been instrumental in firing up the brawling. Finally, the Austrian embassy in Rome has increased their pressure on the Secretary of State, openly threatening a schism if Papal troops cross the border to fight against the troops of another Catholic monarch. Obviously this was not an issue when Austrian troops occupied Bologna for 5 years in the 1830s, or when the same troops garrisoned the citadel of Ferrara for a mere 30 years."

Ferdinando's irony was as dry as the Sahara desert, but then he continued in a very formal tone:
    "I have decided, under my authority as Commander-in-Chief, to activate Case Rubicon and I do hereby inform the Government of the Republic of St. Mark, pursuant to our alliance treaty. Do you concur, Count Mocenigo?"
    The count paled a bit, this development was completely unexpected, but there was a core of steel under his suave and courteous appearance and he did not hesitate: "I do concur, Your Highness."
    "Very well.. The commander of the fortress of Ferrara is in possession of sealed orders for this contingency: he will be notified of the activation of Case Rubicon, and six fully manned battalions of the Roman Volunteers will be released immediately, to be transported by sea to Ancona. Admiral Graziani, you will provide the required ships: time is of essence here, and I expect the troops to board ships and depart for Ancona on the morning tide of 10 April. You will also send a message to General Ferrari in Dalmatia, informing him of the activation of Case Rubicon. He knows what to do. Both Gen. Ferrari and the Volunteers should be in Ancona by the evening of April 11. Can this schedule be met?"
    "I am confident we can do it, assuming that sea and wind conditions are not too bad. I will send immediately the necessary orders."
    "Colonel Bignami, now is your turn. Six battalions of Volunteers, chosen among those mustered in the Legations, will ensure that civilian order is not disrupted in Bologna and in Romagna: I'd suggest three battalions in Bologna and three in Imola. These battalions will leave Ferrara on 10 April, and should be in place not later than 12 April: it is just a couple of days of easy march. You will be in charge of them, with the brevet rank of Brigadier, and are authorized to deploy according to your needs: within the boundaries of the strategic goal, it is an independent command. Congratulations on your promotion, Brigadier Bignami."
    A murmur of approval around the table.
    "Thank you, Your Highness. I would have never thought my command would be in Bologna... So be it. With your permission, I will leave immediately for Ferrara to collect my battalions."
    "You will do nothing like that, Brigadier. Today you will continue to attend the Convention, and the celebration which is likely to follow. Tomorrow you will leave for Bologna... for family reasons. I want you to start assessing the situation on the ground: the battalions can march under the command of their senior colonel, and you can meet them close to the city. Your task is not to repress an insurrection, but to guarantee that law and order are not disturbed: a fit task for the National Guard. The Legate, Cardinal D'Amat, is leaning towards the liberals, and should not oppose your efforts. Be on guard anyway against agents provocateurs, who might try to fuel discontent, and also against bands of Centurioni (5). I suggest you may say you are patrolling against bands of Austrian stragglers roaming the countryside. If the objection is that no one has seen such stragglers...it's because you are just doing a stunning job."
    The prince stopped for a moment, then went on:
    "Before releasing you to your tasks, gentlemen, I want to make one point crystal clear: Case Rubicon is not aimed against the Holy Father and the Constitutional Government of the Papal States, but rather intends to defend them against the plots of the reactionaries in the Curia, aided and abetted by the Austrian Embassy in Rome. I have always had the utmost respect for the Holy Father, whom I wish to hail soon as President of the Italian Confederation." He sounded very sincere. A princely pause, before ordering: "Dismissed."

When Ferdinando left the meeting room, his aide handed him another message.
    The prince read it quickly, and smiled: "Archduke Ranieri has accepted the parley, Camillo. It has been arranged for the day after tomorrow, as proposed. It will be at one hour past noon, at Cavidavid (6). An easy ride. I will take Menabrea and Graziani with me, and also a Tuscan officer. Ask Ricasoli if there is any objection to colonel Montanelli: the man has proved his mettle, and the Volunteers will be pleased. Let us show my dear father-in-law that the Italian Confederacy is already a reality."

Somewhere in the Tyrrhenian Sea, noon

Vincenzo Gioberti was standing right on the ship's bow, staring intently at the horizon, lost in thought. He knew he was still far away from Rome, but deep inside, he had the certainty that the Almighty was giving wings to this very ship, to hasten the pace of history, to finally... He had to pause for a second, to puke in the sea for the hundredth time. His eyes were sparkling though, in stark contrast with his greenish complexion. He put a hand to his chest, as if he could feel Italy's destiny in the form of the sealed parchment he was to deliver to the Pope, but it was not yet there: it would be waiting for him in Rome. Pius IX, the Pope he had dreamed about, almost summoned to history by his pen and prayers, when he had written "Del Primato morale e civile degli Italiani"(7) would finally be offered his rightful place. He could picture the moment he would deliver the message, the smile on the Pope's face, bells ringing and people singing, no, they were angels... He felt compelled to sing as well, a mighty hymn in his thin voice...
    "Rex tremendae maiestatis, qui salvandos salvas gratis, salva me, fons pietatis"(8)
    How fit, the Angels were singing the Dies Irae... Wait, really?

Footnotes
    1. ITTL Bignami had led a column of National Guards in support of the Modenese insurgents, after the duke fled to Austria​
    2. Historical. A cousin of the Sardinian Foreign Minister​
    3. Historical. IOTL it happened a week later than TTL, but again on the day after the demolition of the Ghetto wall.​
    4. Historical.​
    5. Historical. The "Centurioni" were a paramilitary militia recruited by the Conservative Faction of the Curia among vagrants and petty criminals, and used to repress civil disturbances. Their crimes against civilians during the insurrection of Rimini in 1845 had attracted universal condemnation​
    6. A small hamlet, 5 miles south of Verona​
    7. "On the moral and civil primacy of the Italians", written in 1843. With millions of copies sold, it was massively influential in the debate over the liberation and unification of Italy.​
    8. "King of fearsome majesty, Who gladly saves those fit to be saved,save me, O fount of mercy." The eighth stanza of the medieval hymn "Dies Irae" ("Day of Wrath").​
    Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas​

Narrative Interlude 34: Stand and Be Counted - Part 3
  • Stand and Be Counted - Part 3
    Villa Borghi, 6 April 1848 - Afternoon

The Delegates and the Observers filed in the ballroom, and took again their seats.
    Count Mocenigo spoke: "Honorable Delegates and Observers, we are reconvened. Count Cavour is available to provide any clarification you might further need in relation to the proposal to form an Italian Confederation, the Presidency of which would be offered to the Pope. In consideration of the importance of the topic we are discussing, the Observers will also be entitled to ask questions."

"Signor Presidente, I ask to be recognized."
    "I recognize Marquis Capponi, from Tuscany."
    "Count Cavour, you spoke about the protection that the Confederation will provide for all its Member States in case of external aggression. What would the Confederation do in case of internal aggression?"
    "Thank you for your question, Marquis Capponi. I assume you are referring to unlawful insurrection in a member state, or an internal coup d'etat toppling a democratically elected government. It is obviously a very sensitive topic, which needs to be addressed in the future Confederal Constitution, since it impinges not only on the principal of the independence of each Member State in its internal affairs but also on the bill of rights to be guaranteed by said Constitution. I assume that the Confederation will have its own Judicial Branch, which will rule on the merits of the cases that it will be referred to it: let's call it a Supreme Court. In my opinion, this Supreme Court will also deal with all the cases where individuals might claim that their constitutional rights have been trampled by the Judiciary or by the Legislative branch of a Member State. I apologize if my answer is not fully exhaustive, but, as I said, this issue must be settled by the future Constitutional Convention."

Capponi was followed by Carlo Cattaneo:
    "Count Cavour, you mentioned that the Constitutions granted in some of the Italian States were similar, but not identical. It looks to me that the most significant difference among them regarded the powers retained by the monarch, under constitutional rule. In most of the cases, these powers remained quite significant and could easily set aside Parliament, or at least veto legislation. Wouldn't be better to include among the Principals that the sovereignty of Parliament should be supreme?"

It was a hard question, but not an unexpected one. Cavour had prepared an answer: after all, he had the same question asked of him in Turin when Carlo Alberto granted the Statute:
    "You cut to the heart of the problem, signor Cattaneo. My answer is no, and I will explain why. First of all, the balance of power among the three branches of government, executive, legislative and judicial, must be defined and put in place by the Constitutional Convention. I would recommend giving them some freedom in their deliberations, since there is not way to achieve a perfect balance but, on the other hand, different systems have been set in place and proved worthwhile. In any case, the draft of the Constitution needs to be approved by a plebiscite, which means that the people of Italy will make the final decision. In second place, I will be so bold to quote one of my own editorials, written barely one month ago: "Parliaments have a way to claim back for their own even those powers that have not been granted from the beginning." (1) If I wanted to be flippant, I might have said that the ultimate power is the power of the purse."

The next question was even harder to answer, and came from Monsignor Corboli Bussi:
    "Count Cavour, first of all I want to thank you for your kindness in accepting questions even from a mere observer as I am. I am not attending this convention as a delegate, since the issue of an Italian Confederation was not on the table when I was given my remit and ordered to come to Isola della Scala. My words are mine alone, as an individual, and should not be construed as representing in any way the position of the government of the Papal States, much less the position of His Holiness the Pope, who said: "Quando il Papa vuole dire qualcosa, parla da solo."(2) With all due respect, there is a reason why in the Constitution granted by the Holy Father requires that every decision of the parliament be reviewed and approved by the Curia presided by the Pope: every law must be be in full compliance with the Catholic doctrine (3). What are you going to do should His Holiness refuse the offer of the Presidency? I have to remind you that the book of Signor Gioberti did not even include your "Principals", and even so never received an official imprimatur."

There was a sudden silence in the room.

"Monsignore, I have the utmost confidence in the Holy Father. After his election, he has given multiple proofs of his commitment to liberal ideals: he has pardoned political prisoners and exiles, he has allowed the mustering of a National Guard, in Rome and in other cities, he has sent Papal troops to join us in the war and blessed the Volunteers who marched with them, he has ordered the demolition of the walls of the Ghetto. He has blessed Italy. I do believe that an Italian Confederation can truly blossom under his wise guidance. His Holiness will have to decide himself whether to accept our offer, or refuse it. We can only pray for his continued health, and also that God may lend him His wisdom and His mercy.
    There is no alternate plan: "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"(4)".

Butter would not have melt in Cavour's mouth, but the most savvy political operators were not deceived. Count Mocenigo's thoughts were pretty typical: "The first commandment in politics is "You shall always have an alternate plan". Having got to know Prince Ferdinand and Cavour well enough, I am sure that they have more than one alternate plan, and can only thank God for that."

Other questions followed, but nothing really consequential. Then Giuseppe Ferrari rose to speak:
    "I don't have an additional question, but I have however to deliver a warning to this assembly. As you certainly know, I have just recently arrived from Paris where I could witness the insurrection of 14 February, which led to the abdication of Louis Philippe and the proclamation of a republic in France. As far as revolutions go, it was almost bloodless: the walls of the July Monarchy crumbled down almost immediately under the onslaught of the alliance of liberals and democrats. So far so good, but then the differences between the two wings of the insurgents soon started to become visible. The liberals fought for their rights, to get into the seats of power and to break the grip of the 500 Notables who, under the leadership of Guizot, had governed France for 18 years: they got their prizes, the bourgeois revolution won. Their allies in the fight, the democrats, got nothing. There is just a single democrat in the Executive Committee which is governing France. Be warned, though: the democrats did not fight to become part of the establishment. They fought on behalf of the dispossessed, the day labourers, the unemployed, the destitute, who cannot put food on the table for their families, who cannot find work, who have to live in cramped, filthy, unhealthy tenements in Paris, Lyon, Marseille, and many other French cities. The 18 years during which Guizot ruled France were a time of momentous societal change: in a nutshell, the industrial revolution. Unfortunately, all these changes were governed by laissez faire: thousands of people moved from the countryside to Paris and the other cities looking for work, accepting low pay and long hours to feed themselves and their families; at the same time, artisans, who had always managed a decent way of life, were ruined by the competition of the newfangled factories. Then the economical crisis came, and not just once: the bourgeoisie could weather the storm, but the poor couldn't. Thousands of workers lost their jobs, and had no alternatives. No one was hiring, the government was not helping: they were let to fend for themselves. Even worse, the harvests has been bad for the past two years, and the price of food has outrageously increased. No surprise that they listen to the call for change, that they are ready to man the barricades, to march shoulder to shoulder in the streets of Paris: what have they to loose? They have been used to achieve victory, but now that the bourgeoisie has won, they are easily forgotten. A few paltry measures are passed: National Workshops are set up, public works are started to provide employment, but these measures cost money, and the bourgeoisie resents spending it on behalf of the poor. Taxes are raised, and everyone is howling like a branded calf: there is already significant unrest in the countryside, protests against the hated "45 centimes", the extra money they have to pay. Tax records are burned, tax gatherers manhandled, riots break out. Still, the poor classes in the cities don't have enough to feed their families, and their anger grows with their hunger.
    I make this prediction (5): if things do not change, if these wounds are not healed, the liberals will look back to an alliance with the reactionaries, to keep at bay the poor and the hungry; then the masses will raise, and a bloody revolution will start. Think well, delegates, because the clock is ticking: the situation in Italy is not the same as in France, but it is not so different either. Either you will look after the needs of the poorest classes, or you will have to face a revolution here too, and I know on which side I will be. (6)"

There was no answer to give at this time, but the impassionate speech of Giuseppe Ferrari cast a gloom over the audience.
    Cavour was uneasy: in the 1830s he had taken a keen interest in the development of the Poor Laws in England, which had barely put a plaster on a gaping wound, and knew Ferrari was only telling the truth, even if it was an uncomfortable one for a person of his class. Some solution needed to be found before it was too late. He made a note to talk to Ferrari in the next few days: at least he would discover if the philosopher had some practical suggestion to make, or if he was just a prophet of doom. Similar thoughts were crossing the mind of Ricasoli: he had pointed out to the Grand Duke and the Consiglio di Buon Governo the need to address the complaints of the stevedores and porters in Livorno before they became a threat to the economy and the social peace of Tuscany (7). Maybe he should talk to Ferrari, to understand what could be done: any port in a storm.

The silence was broken by Count Mocenigo: "Signori Delegati, you have been presented the scheme for an Italian Confederation proposed by the Kingdom of Sardinia, with its presidency offered to Pope Pius IX. You have heard the questions asked and the replies of Count Cavour. It is now the time for a decision: all in favor, stand and be counted."

All the delegates were on their feet, shouting: "Viva Pio IX!"

Footnotes​
    1. Cavour wrote this line in an editorial published by "Il Risorgimento" on 10 March 1848 IOTL​
    2. "When the Pope wants to say something, he speaks himself". IOTL Pius IX said these words after receiving the news of Durando's speech to the troops​
    3. Historical: the Curia retained the ultimate approval on every law voted by the Assembly, and this was usually interpreted to cover even laws which had nothing to do with matters regulated by Catholic doctrine​
    4. Matthew 6:34 (the Sermon on the Mount)​
    5. IOTL Ferrari's dire prediction proved true: the elections of late April returned an Assembly skewed toward the center- right, with a strong presence of monarchists. The Commission set up in March to find ways to ameliorate the conditions of the poorest classes proved ineffective, and a majority in the Assembly started to demand an end to the National Workshops. The leftist deputies at the Assembly found themselves sidelined, and turned to the masses of unemployed to exert pressure on the government. By mid May, a major march was called in Paris, ostensibly to support the independence of Poland: it ended up in an assault on the Assembly, which polarized the political atmosphere even more. A "party of Order" coalesced in the Assembly, with monarchist support. The National Workshops were closed on 21 June, the same day the Left called the people to the insurrection. In order to repress it, general Cavaignac became prime minister, with full powers. The insurrection was broken between 23 and 26 June (The Bloody Days of June), leaving more than 10,000 dead: 1,500 soldiers, 3,000 insurgents and 6,000 civilians. 4,000 arrests followed: the French liberal revolution was already walking on a path that would have ended with the election of Louis Napoleon as president and the subsequent coup which created the Second Empire.​
    6. The whole speech of Ferrari is based on historical events which happened in France before his departure for Milan, when news of the Milanese insurrection reached Paris.​
    7. See Interlude 11 "La Bella Tuscanina​

Narrative Interlude #35: Stand and Be Counted - Part 4
  • Stand and Be Counted - Part 4
    Villa Borghi, 6 April 1848 - Evening

There was no formal dinner planned: delegates and observers partake of a cold collation, then dispersed in small groups, quietly discussing the events of the day. Everyone was waiting for the final draft of the offer to the Pope, which was being formalized by a few secretaries under the supervision of Cavour and Mocenigo. The dominant emotion was satisfaction, even elation: a momentous decision had been taken, the future history of Italy would be mightily influenced by today's deliberation, there was a promise in the air that the future would bring freedom, security, prosperity. At the same time there were undercurrents of worry crossing the room: would the Pope accept the offer? would it be well received when each delegation brought it home? and what about the warning of Ferrari? A common prayer was mentally recited by many: "May God forbid that the results which had been achieved are wasted by the collapse of social order and revolution. Libera nos a malo".

The entrance of Prince Ferdinand, followed by Cavour and Mocenigo, provided a welcome distraction.
    "Good evening, gentlemen. I have good news for you all. First of all, the proposal to be sent to the Pope is ready for the signatures. It is truly a formality, since it will be sent by telegraph to the embassy of Sardinia in Rome, where it will be copied on parchment and delivered to His Holiness by Marquis Pareto and Signor Gioberti. The signed copy will follow, but it will take 4 days to reach Rome, even by fast courier. The second good news is that Archduke Ranieri has agreed to the parley we proposed. It is scheduled for the day after tomorrow, at a hamlet near Verona. The third good news is that I received a letter from Signor Manzoni. Besides his warm congratulations for what has been achieved, he sent me a copy, on his own hand, of one of his lyrics, which has not yet been published.
    It is dedicated to all the fallen during the past month of March, soldiers, volunteers and civilians, and is aptly titled March 1848 (1).
    I read a few stanzas, and found them very moving. It is only proper that you all may share this treat, the perfect ending of a very important day. The reading will be in about an hour. Now let's proceed with the signatures, please."

====================================

The signatures were completed, while the ballroom was prepared for the reading,
    Ferdinando led Maria Cristina and Cristina di Belgioioso into the room, and sat in the first row. The other guests followed, filling in all the places. The last stragglers were forced to stand along the wall.

Captain Augusto di Cavour had been selected as reader, much to his chagrin: Augusto did not feel comfortable being at the center of the attention of the whole room. He started reading, in a strong male voice:

Soffermati sull’arida sponda
    vòlti i guardi al varcato Ticino,
    tutti assorti nel novo destino,
    certi in cor dell’antica virtù,
    han giurato: non fia che quest’onda
    scorra più tra due rive straniere;
    non fia loco ove sorgan barriere
    tra l’Italia e l’Italia, mai più! (2)

There were 13 stanzas in the poem, and Augusto read them all in a religious silence.
    Then a thunderous applause came: Manzoni's words had put fire in every heart.

Footnotes
    1. IOTL, Alessandro Manzoni wrote this lyric in 1821, when the hopes of the insurrection in Piedmont (and in other parts of Italy, namely Naples and Sicily) fired the imagination of Lombard patriots. A number of Piedmontese officers (all of them members of the Carbonari) mutinied in Alessandria, asking for a constitution based on the Spanish constitution of 1812. King Vittorio Emanuele I (who was in Sardinia) refused to grant the constitution, and abdicated in favor of his brother Carlo Felice. Since Carlo Felice was in Modena at the time, Carlo Alberto was made Regent, and granted the Constitution. Carlo Felice countermanded the concession, and ordered him to leave Turin to join the loyal regiments in Novara. Carlo Alberto caved, and left in the night, abandoning the conspirators. The original title of the lyric was Marzo 1821, but it was not published at the time, since all insurrections were quickly quashed. Manzoni partly rewrote the poem in 1848, but IOTL he kept the original title. The different events of TTL have convinced him to change it.
    2. I have been unable to find a professional translation of March 1821. I have been however able to find this translation posted by Fabio Paolo Barbieri https://fpb.livejournal.com/387822.html . Following the link, the complete text of March 1821 and its translation can be found. We propose the following alternative translation of the first stanza :
    Lingering on the arid shore
    their gazes turned at at the Ticino just crossed,
    all absorbed in their new destiny,
    certain in their hearts of their ancient virtue,
    they swore: no more shall this wave
    flow between two foreign shores;
    let there be no place where barriers arise
    between Italy and Italy, never again!
    Made in @LordKalvan

Last edited:
    Narrative Interlude #36: A quiet morning
  • Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - Late Morning

Prince Ferdinando sat back in his chair, stretching:
    "I think we should have no worry about Turin, Camillo. My congratulations, by the way: according to Count Balbo, your newspaper has a lot to do with that. What is your reading of the situation in Vienna? We finally got some more detailed news from Frankfurt, and Sir Ralph has added a few tidbits, but it looks to me that there is a lot of confusion, and the political set-up is very unstable. Incidentally, the good British ambassador has offered to be present at the parley tomorrow, as a neutral observer , and has once again made clear that the British Government would be delighted to act as a peace broker. I did accept his offer to be at the parley: everything considered, the fact that the British ambassador is our guest here is a kind of message, isn't it? I made it pretty clear, however, that at this stage the objectives of the war have not yet been achieved in full: let him parse my answer as much as he like. I did ask him if the Austrian ambassador had already approached the British Government on the subject of a negotiated peace, and he denied it. I believe he was sincere on this point."
    "You are right, Ferdinando. The situation in Vienna is very confused: the Staatskonferenz has made significant concessions to the insurgents, but all concessions may be revoked later, if the situation improves somehow. Which for the time being it does not look like: Prague is in insurrection too, although the incidents are quite limited for now, and Hungary....I think that the better way to understand what is happening in Hungary is to look at Sicily. They want their own separate kingdom, with the Habsburg emperor as king of Hungary in personal union, but no more dictates from Vienna. A Hungarian delegation has arrived in Vienna a few days ago with their demands. My best guess is that the Staatskonferenz will say yes to that too: as of now, it looks like they are conceding on all fronts. The expulsion of Metternich from the Regency Council has left a vacuum, and they are just trying to gain time praying that some miracle may save them. I assume that this is also the reason for which they have not yet proposed an armistice in Italy. I am quite tempted to send an emissary to Pest. There is a reason I have not yet proposed this, though. The Hungarians are trying to apply the basic French principle of citizenship: every citizen is equal in front of the law, and has no special rights. A good principle, but at the same time the Hungarians are claiming all the lands under the Crown of St. Stephen, and here is the fly in the ointment. Ethnic Magyars are barely half of the people in those lands: the rest is made up of Croats, Serbs, Slovaks, Rumanians, with a sprinkle of Germans and Jews. All these people speak different languages, often belong to different religions, their customs are quite different: compared to that, a Piedmontese and a Sicilian look like neighbors from the same village. Still the Hungarians in Pest dream to turn them all into Magyars. I have a bad feeling about that: imperial policy has always been to play on these differences, and they will see an opportunity here. The massacre of Tarnow (1) was just a couple of years ago, and it is a good showcase of the way they think in Vienna."
    "I do remember reading about Tarnow. It was quite horrifying. However, Sir Ralph told me that Galicia is the quietest part of the Habsburg empire: the governor abolished serfdom one week ago, and that has defused tensions."
    "Smart move for him. Ethnic differences again are used in a political play: the landowners are Polish noblemen, the serfs are Ruthenians. By abolishing serfdom, the governor has secured the allegiance of the peasants to the emperor, and has avoided the risk of a Polish insurrection. It may interest you that Hungary has not yet abolished serfdom. That is because the supporters of the Hungarian insurrection are mostly Hungarian noblemen, who are also landowners. The serfs are Slavs: Slovaks, Croats, Serbs, Rumenians. More ominously, at least two thirds of the common soldiers in the Hungarian regiments of the imperial army are Slavs, mostly Croats and Serbs. Do you see the picture?"
    "I think I can see the picture you're painting, and it is not a nice one. Your suggestion?"
    "Do nothing. Just push your troops up to where you intend to stop, and secure your positions there. It is not your task to find a solution to sort out the unholy mess the Habsburg empire is becoming. Long term, it might become useful to approach the Hungarians, but not yet. Prussia is in a kind of limbo too, although at least the king of Prussia does not need to be under a Regency Council. The king has left Berlin for Potsdam, after the bloody insurrection of 19 March. He has promised a constitution, and has appointed a liberal prime minister, but I don't it is going to last long: he is at heart a reactionary dinosaur. The army is still faithful to the king, and the army is what really matters in Prussia. They are not handicapped by multiple ethnic minorities either, although there is quite a number of Poles in the Grand Duchy of Poznan: that is a military problem, though, and when the king will find his nerves he'll send a general to sort it out (2). Prussia's problem is rather in the west, in the Rheinlands which they were awarded at the Congress of Vienna. It is the wealthiest part of the kingdom, but unfortunately Rheinlanders don't like Prussians at all. I'm told that when the news came out they had become a province of Prussia, a wit commented: "Who decided to marry us down to the country cousins?" (3). Now, if I wanted to make mischief in the Germanies, I would start looking there, and also in Baden, Württemberg and Bavaria. The new king of Bavaria (4) might be a possible prospect to cultivate: he was described to me as a reasonable fellow, who might develop a liberal leaning if gently pushed. Much better than the old coot who fathered him, and was forced to abdicate by the Estates."
    "Today you are a veritable cornucopia of news and advice, Camillo. May I ask how you gather all these news from a small town in rural Veneto?"
    "Old friends, correspondents, my uncles in Geneva, newspaper contacts. The new king of Bavaria was described to me by a friend (5) in Rome, where he visited last year, before being forced to rush back to Munich to be crowned king."
    "It is a pity that we do not share a border with Bavaria, although... never mind that, just an idle thought. What are you up to today, Camillo?"
    "I have a meeting planned with Signor Ferrari, Baron Ricasoli, Signor Scialoja, Signori Manin and Avesani, Count Casati. Maybe someone else: I would be surprised not to see Mazzini there. Yesterday, the speech of Signor Ferrari intrigued me. I want to gain a better understanding of the problem: what they tried to do in France to ameliorate the conditions of the populace and why it did not work. It is a complex matter, as I know from my involvement with the British Poor Laws, more than a decade ago. Even if I don't manage to gain a better understanding, it will not be a wasted afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to sit down with the Milanese, and see if the arrangement we want to propose can be acceptable as a reasonable compromise. Gabrio Casati and the Provisional Government will find it palatable for sure, better than anything they might hope to gain. The Democrats will be less enthused, but there is not much they can do. They cannot hope to win a plebiscite for a republic. Anyway, by showing a genuine interest in the plight of the poor, I will demonstrate that I am something better than a laissez-faire liberal willing to drain the blood of the disadvantaged classes to increase profits, and this can be helpful in future relations."
    "Despite your cynical words, I know this meeting is not just a ploy, Camillo, and I would be really happy if you could work out a practical solution for it. However, being a prince, I am going to devote the afternoon to princely leisure: lunch with my sister, her ladies-in-waiting and princess Belgioioso. To provide a lively conversation, I've drafted Sir Ralph, Count Mocenigo and Professor Montanelli. And Augusto will be with us, of course. Captain Benso is a good man to bring when there are ladies around. To follow, Signor Fattori will show us the sketches he has drafted over the last couple of weeks. It should be very interesting and entertaining, and a welcome distraction from war and politics."

Footnotes​
    1. The Tarnow Massacre (also known as the Great Galician Slaughter). A conspiracy was made in Krakow (at the time in the Austrian empire) to start a rebellion in all of partitioned Poland: the Krakow Upraising started on 20 February 1846 . The Austrian authorities reacted by inciting the Ruthenian serfs, who were already agitating due to bad harvests and general famine, to rebel against their landlords, who were all Polish noblemen. 250 manors were burned in just a few weeks, and between 1,000 and 2,000 members of the gentry were killed. Then the Austrian government sent in troops to put the peasantry back in their place: the repression was pretty harsh, and flogging was used with liberality. The early Austrian promises to put an end to serfdom and to feudal dues were never implemented. Eye witnesses reported that the peasants were surprised and stunned by the repression: they were convinced that the "Good Emperor" had temporarily suspended the Ten Commandments, and their actions against the gentry were authorized by him and by God.​
    2. Which is what happened OTL: the Polish insurgents in the Grand Duchy of Poznan had made initial gains, but the king sent an army of 10,000 men to the province on 1 May 1848, and in a week the insurrection was quashed. The final capitulation of Polish forces was signed on 9 May 1848. The reaction of the liberal parliament in Frankfurt showed that ethnic nationalism played a role in Germany too. The Poles had a right to their own nation, but not to encroach on German lands: there was a clear Polish majority in Poznan, with most of the Germans living in towns, but the parliament voted to give the Poles just the easternmost third of the Grand Duchy of Poznan. Future reactions to ethnic strife in Bohemia, between Czechs and Germans, and to the Holstein troubles would be not dissimilar.​
    3. Historical, although there is no specific attribution of this quote​
    4. Historical. The estates forced the old king, Ludwig I, to abdicate for being an unpopular spendthrift but also for the scandal of his open relation with the dancer Lola Montez. He was replaced on the throne by his son, Maximilian II.​
    5. Count Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere. He will play a role in Rome pretty soon.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #37: Pindemonte, Paintings and Politics
  • Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - Afternoon

The lunch had been delightful, thought Ferdinando, enlivened by many witty repartees. The two Cristinas had been the center of it, but not because they had monopolized the conversation: apparently they shared the gift of being able to involve all the guests, each one in her own peculiar way. Maria Cristina was all fire and ebullience, as usual, while Cristina di Belgioioso, while not lacking a strong tinge of fire herself, was more experienced and skilled in this craft: no surprise there, since she had graduated magna cum laude at the demanding school of the salons of Paris. It was like looking at a gifted young artist and her mentor, mused Ferdinando. Possibly Cristina di Belgioioso was the third advisor his sister needed (1), and in such a case the presence of the Lombard Princess and the friendship that had suddenly blossomed between the two Cristinas were another gift of the genius loci of this magical place. I will buy Villa Pindemonte, decided Ferdinando, and will have a small shrine built in the park: gratitude must be shown for such bountiful gifts. Compared to the Princesses, the two ladies-in-waiting faded a bit in the background, but still their youth and grace were complementing well the fire of the two Cristinas.
    It is a pity that Camillo cannot be here, but at least one of us has to work - Ferdinando continued his line of thought, listening with one ear to the table conversation - and it must be said that the men he had invited were a worthy trio. Sir Ralph's experience as a diplomat was not in doubt, but he was proving to be most adept to social events too; young Augusto was also showing his mettle, he had blushed just two or three times today (Ferdinando had to hid a smile) and even when Maria Cristina had pointedly asked him what he had liked most in Venice, he had been able to extricate himself from the trap (2). Then there was Mocenigo, the epitome of patrician suavity and style. Who are you truly, my dear Count, which ambitions lurk beneath your mask? I have met you a few times now, in very different settings, and you have always said the right things, you have taken everything in stride: even when I dropped the bombshell of the unexpected activation of Case Rubicon, you barely hesitated before giving your assent. It says to me that you are not afraid of making decisions, that there is steel under your patrician mask. I also know that your grandfather was the last but one doge, your father prospered under Napoleon, and you prospered as well under Austria: it looks to me that flexibility runs in the family (3), not a bad thing in these times of rapid changes. So, back to the question: are you looking to become the eighth Mocenigo doge, and, most importantly, will you be the doge that Italy and the Republic need?

-------------------------------------

The sketches drawn by Signor Fattori since his arrival to Goito on the day of the battle were arranged in a presence room on the ground floor of the Villa, where the young painter was waiting together with colonel Montanelli. Giovanni Fattori had been busy: there were more than 20 of these sketches, all of them a vivid representation of the events. The painter was warmly praised by all for his work. Six sketches were outstanding: Ferdinando at the battle of Goito, waiting for the noise signalling the arrival of the Bersaglieri, Henri's charge at the head of the Carabinieri, a defeated Radetzki offering his sword to Ferdinand, Princess Maria Cristina kissing Henri on her arriva to Villa Pindemonte and the same Princess accepting the crown of Sicily.
    Maria Cristina was the first to speak: "My congratulations on a job well done, Signor Fattori. I would like to buy a few of these sketches: Henri's charge, my arrival here and the offer of the crown. If you will accept a commission, I would also like to have them as oil paintings (4). "
    "Your Royal Highness is too kind. It would be my honor if you will allow me to present these three humble sketches to you. I would be equally honored by your royal commission, but it will have to be after the end of the war. For the time being, I will have to be a soldier, and draw sketches on my own free time."
    Then, bowing to Prince Ferdinando: "Your Royal Highness, I would also beg your indulgence, and ask you to accept the gift of some of my sketches. It would not be a problem for me to make a copy, should your choice overlap with the Princess' one."
    "I do gladly accept your gift, Signor Fattori. I think that I would like a couple of oil paintings myself, but only a causa vinta. However, be informed that you will be in my escort for tomorrow's parley. I want a sketch of the parley, and make sure to remember well the expression of my father-in-law when I'll tell him it's time to surrender Verona"
    Mocenigo was not a man to stay behind the others: "I will add my congratulations , Signor Fattori, and propose a commission too. Come to Venice for the feast of the Ascension, la festa della Sensa, as we call it in Venice. Venice is going to renew lo Sposalizio del Mare, the Wedding of the Sea, for the first time in 50 years: it is only proper, since the fleets of the Republic once again dominate the Adriatic. I will certainly want some sketches of the festivity, but I will also want a large oil painting (5)."
    "Once again, I will be honored, Count Mocenigo. If I am not wrong, the feast of the Ascension will be celebrated on the last Sunday in May. Let us pray that the war will be over by that date, and that we will celebrate together the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Wedding and the Victory ."

Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - After Dark

Ferdinando was busy writing a letter when Count Cavour knocked on the door of his study and entered.
    "Welcome back, Camillo. I wasn't sure you would be back tonight. "
    "Thank you, Ferdinando. I trust you had a more enjoyable day that I had."
    "It was a truly good day: I needed a little holiday, after all. Would you believe I decided to buy Villa Pindemonte? Don't stand there, though: pour us a brandy, and tell me all about the Royal Commission for Social Justice. "The prince smiled, before continuing: "Was it so bad? I trust that you have not signed away all of your property to the benefit of the disadvantaged classes."

"Small chance of that." The count snorted "It was actually very interesting and quite engrossing, as well as very civilized. I am fully convinced that the problem of the poorest classes is real, and must be confronted, but unfortunately at this stage I have many unanswered questions and very little in terms of practical solutions for it. I do agree with Signor Ferrari on one thing, though: the remedial measures set up by the Provisional Government in France are just a temporary stopgap, which is doing little to alleviate the suffering of the poor, and cannot even be kept up for long. The National Workshops are loosing money like a sieve: how long do you think the bourgeoisie will suffer this fiscal drain? In the countryside it will be even worse, since they were already hurting from the bad harvests, and now they have to pay a hefty surcharge on their taxes to finance this experiment, which doesn't bring them any benefit. The demo-socs (6) are unhappy too, because it is not enough, and also because they fear a repeat of the revolution of 1830: the bottom layers of the bourgeoisie and the artisans and laborers marched in the streets and manned the barricades, but got little or no benefit when the "citizen king" sat on the throne and Guizot became the true master of France. This time around they are not going to accept a repeat of that, so the alliance between the moderate liberals and the left is already badly frayed. The elections for the French Assembly are scheduled for the end of the month, and the demo-socs are very confident in a good electoral result, but I think they will be quite disappointed. If I am right, they will be marginalized in the Assembly, and will turn to the streets, which will frighten the moderates and push them toward a devil's bargain with the Legitimists and the Orleanists. The result will be violence in the streets and quite possibly a second revolution, a social one. (7)"

"It is a dire picture you are painting, the more so because I know you are not a pessimist by nature, nor easily frightened. Should we expect civil disturbances in Italy too?"

"I don't think so, for a number of reasons.
    The first is that in many ways Italy and France are similar, but there are also very important social and economical differences. Italy is more backward in economy: there is not yet an equivalent in Italy of the class of freeholder farmers who were created in France after the first revolution, and there has not been a migration from the rural areas to the cities as happened in France after the industrialization started to bloom. Our backwardness means that our social problems will not dominate the agenda as much as they do in France, and they can have possibly have easier solutions: talk about a blessing in disguise.
    The second is that the revolution in Italy has been quite different from the one in France, and for this you have to thank the Austrians, who have constantly managed to be a magnet for Italian hate over the past 30 years. You always speak about Italian cities freeing themselves through local insurrection: Palermo, Milan, Venice, Parma and Modena, not to mention all the cities in Veneto. This is true on the face of it, and also a very intelligent way to make friends among the insurgents. But what if the insurrections had not been bolstered by a victorious Sardinian army, led by the king and by yourself incidentally, which broke the back of Austrian dominance in Italy? Would Radetzki leave Milan, if you had not crossed the Ticino? He had just pulled his troops out of the city, put the artillery on the Bastioni and was cannonading the city into obedience.
    There are republicans in Italy, but certainly they are not a majority, and everyone knows that there is a Republic in Venice only because you have pushed them in that direction. Which is why I am confident that Lombardy will not be a problem: the victor of Goito cannot be refused, because he has been so smart not to make demands, and has imposed no conditions.
    And then there is the third reason: we can observe what the French do, judge the effectiveness of their measures in the field of social justice, and plan accordingly. We are going to have a grace period of a few months at least before the social chickens come to roost: we must make the most of it, and find a solution to the conundrum which is baffling France, and Germany too judging from what my uncle wrote me, while our republicans and socialists are mollified by the sweet wine of victory against Austria.
    I do not have a plan, yet, but I have some ideas churning in my mind. All these ideas have one word in common: reform.
    There is a lot to be reformed in the legal system of Sardinia (8), and even more in the legal systems of the other states you have convinced to sign up for an Italian Confederation. The same applies to economical matters: agriculture must be improved, industrialization must be a priority, commerce must be expanded. All these require changes, momentous ones: it's better not to rush into reforms, but we have some time to plan: I will suggest the delegates here to start thinking about reforms, and it would be a good thing if you do the same with Count Balbo in Turin. Of course, the implementation of these reforms will have to wait for the elections, which are planned for the end of April: an elected parliament is the best tool to implement reforms. In the meantime, I have been told by Count Casati that there are plenty of projects which have been discussed in Lombardy over the years but have been constantly vetoed by Austria. I understand it is the same in Veneto, in particular with regards to the Arsenale in Venice. Public works can employ a large number of unskilled or half-skilled laborers, and this will help. Another suggestion to make to Count Balbo is to have a look at the situation on the docks of Genoa, and see if he can find some way to make things better: Baron Ricasoli tells me that Marquis Ridolfi has been instructed to do the same in Livorno.
    There is a saying: "A rising tide lifts all boats", and a prosperous economy will provide such a tide . It will be our task to make sure that all the boats, or at the very least a vast majority of them, get lifted, not just a selected few. I am confident enough that we may defuse the danger of a revolution without the need of repression."

"A cogent presentation: I didn't expect otherwise from you. I may be able to add a fourth buttress to your optimism: the Confederation set-up means that each state will have to take care of suitable measures to reduce the risk of a social revolution. I do agree with you on the necessity to plan the much delayed reforms in the judiciary and in the economy, and I will write to Count Balbo to start the process. If there is an opportunity, you should do the same with the Milanese tomorrow, as well as with the other delegations later on. It must be made clear that they are what we plan to carry on in the Kingdom of Sardinia, and it is not an imposition on others. As a matter of fact, I am somehow relieved I have not to decide right now what are good and proper reforms in states which may have social problems which are quite different from Piedmont or Lombardy.
    Carry on, Camillo. I know I can rely on you."

Footnotes
    1. The other two being Count Cavour and general Menabrea​
    2. Maria Cristina clearly refers to the famous ball at Palazzo Mocenigo, where Augusto fell in love with the young Giustiniani​
    3. As a matter of fact, Alvise Francesco Mocenigo did not share the Mocenigo blood: he was born when his mother (who was the wife of Alvise Mocenigo) had a brief relation with an Austrian colonel. Alvise Mocenigo adopted the boy, and raised him as his son and heir. A classic case where nurture trumps nature: the end result was a true Mocenigo.​
    4. Giovanni Fattori painted all three subjects between 1852 and 1854. The "Offer of the Crown" can be seen in the Sicilian Parliament, while the other two paintings are in the Royal Museum of Palermo.​
    5. The "Wedding of the Sea" can be admired in the Ducal Palace of Venice​
    6. The democrats started to be widely known as "democrats-socialists" (or demo-socs for short) only after the elections at the end of April, but apparently the name started to circulate earlier, since Signor Ferrari knows it​
    7. Cavour's prediction came true IOTL: the election of April 1848 returned a majority for the moderates, and the demo-socs, feeling marginalized, took the political struggle to the streets. The Luxembourg Commission, which had been established to find a solution for the massive unemployment, never produced anything worthwhile and was dissolved late in May. On 15 June the National Workshops were closed down, leading to massive unrest and barricades in Paris, until the Assembly voted almost-dictatorial powers to Gen. Cavaignac, who declared martial law in Paris and repressed the insurrection between 26 and 28 June (the Bloody Days of June).​
    8. IOTL, a reform of the inheritance laws (abolition of fidecommissi, primogeniture, commendams and other relics of the past) was voted by the Parliament in Turin in 1849. The other reforms were voted only after Cavour became Prime Minister. An insurrection started in Genoa, after news of the defeat of the Sardinian army at Novara and the (false) news that Genoa would be ceded to Austria, and was bloodily repressed by Gen. Alfonso Lamarmora.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #38: A quiet walk in the park
  • Villa Pindemonte, 8 April 1848 - Late Afternoon

Ferdinando and Camillo were strolling slowly in the park, talking quietly:
    "Tell me about your meeting with the Milanese, Camillo. Was it possible to reach an acceptable compromise between Casati's liberals and Cattaneo's democrats?"

"I would certainly say so, Ferdinando. Given current circumstances, we made a very generous offer: self-government under the Crown of Lombardy in personal union with the Crown of Sardinia, with their own parliament for internal matters, an independent judiciary and their own representatives in the future Confederal Parliament. For the time being, they will adopt the Statute granted by your father to Sardinia and the same electoral laws, but they will be entitled to convene a Constitutional Convention for Lombardy once the war is over. The elections will be called for the first and the second Sundays in May (1), and on the first Sunday there will be also a plebiscite: "Do you want an autonomous kingdom of Lombardy, with the crown being held by the king of Sardinia in personal union?". The republicans didn't even make a big fuss or asked for a republican form as an alternative in the plebiscite. I believe they are smart enough to realize that there is no chance the republic might win a plebiscite: actually, they are correctly fearing that it would poll very badly, in particular in the countryside, and therefore they prefer not to have an actual count. The only serious objection was that the electoral franchise should be widened for the parliamentary elections, but it was mostly a pro-forma. I see Ferrari 's influence here, based on his personal experience in France: the democrats are not yet ready to contest the election in the countryside, therefore widening the franchise would end up loosing seats. I do agree with his analysis, and it is also my preference that the democrats gain a reasonable number of members of Parliament."

"Am I correctly understanding your words? Are you saying that you want a strong left in Parliament? This time you managed to surprise me, Camillo."

"There is a method to my apparent madness. First of all, we do not want the left marginalized in Parliament: if such were the case, they would go back to the streets, led by the worst fire-breathers (2). In second place, the "liberals" are not, or at least not yet, a party with enough experience in governing. Worse than that, given free reins they might almost certainly turn into a myopic bunch, with a vested interest to promote only those reforms which immediately benefit themselves. They already got a constitution, they will soon get autonomy, they get representation in Parliament. At this point, they will start to become an oligarchy and will refuse to consider the needs of the poorest classes (3). There are many other reforms which need to be implemented: we discussed some of them yesterday night, but if I remember correctly we never spoke about what needs to be done to change our relations with the Church, to bring them in tune with modern times. Ferdinando, the French revolution of 1830 was in many ways similar to what we are doing now, leaving only aside the presence of the Austrian interlopers in Italy, which works in our favor, and the presence of a Pope in Rome who is also a temporal ruler, which is not a minor problem. Unfortunately, Guizot did not understand what needed to be done, and created an oligarchy during the eighteen years of his premiership, slowly moving from liberal into conservative and in the end verging on reactionary (4). I was a Guizot partisan in the early 1830s, I was in favor of his juste milieu, and it took me some time to open my eyes to his many faults. I say this to my chagrin, but at least now I know better than to repeat the same mistakes. By comparison, the British Parliament has done better, in particular since Lord Grey became prime minister, and didn't even need a revolution to kickstart a reforming process. The electoral reform has been done, and the Corn Laws have been repealed, but it was not done at a stroke of a pen: it was carried out gradually, grinding down the opposition of many of the members of his party, finding new allies, overcoming the opposition of the House of Lords. The electoral reform re-arranged the electoral map of England, reducing the influence of the great land owners and giving representation to the industrial interests of the manufacturing cities, which in turn supported the abolition of the Corn Laws (5). It was to their own benefit, obviously, but it was also to the benefit of the general public and the poorest classes. I am not saying that Great Britain is paradise on earth, and for sure there are other reforms which are needed, but it is easy to see that the revolution which has spread very quickly over most of Europe has not affected much the British. I'm not advocating a repetition of the same path which worked in Great Britain, the social and political landscapes are very different: I believe it would be prudent to consider how other countries dealt with their own problems: otherwise we will be stuck between the rock of the reaction and the hard place of revolution. My apologies for this long and dreary speech (6), but I felt it was needed. We will need to carry out many reforms, but we also want to control the pace: this means that we need to expand the base which supports our political strategy, and the democrats, at least the moderates among them, are necessary. It will not be an alliance, much less a marriage: I like calling it a "connubio" ( 7), it's such a nice and useful word." Camillo looked Ferdinando in the eyes, with an impish smile on his lips: "If you want to call me a socialist, you are welcome: I don't really care.(8)"

"I will never do that, Camillo. What you say makes certainly sense, even if the reasoning behind it makes our political strategy vis-a-vis the Confederation a very straightforward proposition.
    I will need to think about all the implications, but I admit that I cannot match your slippery ways in the murky waters of politics.
    Now let me give you a recount of the parley I had earlier with Archduke Ranieri. I am surprised you didn't ask me at once."

"The parley was affecting the military sphere, where I am less than conversant. I am also sure that it went well, am I right?"

"I think so, although we will have to wait to know for sure. Ranieri was accompanied by Prince Schwarzenberg (9) and by General von Haynau (10). Their nose was certainly put a bit out of joint by seeing whom I brought to the parley and by the flags we were showing, but overall the encounter was civil enough. Ranieri was a bit morose, and left Schwarzenberg to speak on his behalf. He proposed a cease fire, which was denied. My request were quite straightforward, and not negotiable: the Austrian garrison had 48 hours to stack their muskets, and leave the city; no gun would be spiked and no damage would be done to the fortifications or to the civilians. All Austrians troops would be taken to a prisoner camp, to be released upon the signature of a peace treaty. All officers above the rank of captain would be released on parole, together with their dependents and any Austrian civilian, and escorted to Salorno to cross into Austrian territory. I made pretty clear that the investment was complete, and there was no possibility of a relieving army reaching Verona. I gave them a quick brief of the military situation, which did not improve their mood. Upon the expiration of the ultimatum our siege guns would open fire against the walls of Verona. In such a case, the offer of paroling the top officers was off. Any and all atrocities or mistreatment of the civilian population would be investigated, and the commanders of the garrison would be held responsible for them. My bluntness enraged von Haynau, a very unpleasant man, but von Schwarzenberg managed to keep him under check. It was a short meeting, since there was nothing to negotiate. I think that Schwarzenberg will cast the deciding vote. Ranieri has never been a man for big decisions, and von Haynau does not have the seniority or the political skills. It looks like we have to wait until day after tomorrow, but I am confident enough."

Footnotes
    1. The electoral law in Sardinia was over two turns​
    2. This happened in France IOTL: the Left vacated the assembly, and organized a major demonstration in the streets for mid-May.​
    3. This happened in France IOTL: by the end of May the "Party of Order" was dominating the Assembly​
    4. From 1846, Guizot became very closely aligned to Metternich, and was against constitutions being granted by the Italian states.​
    5. Historical. The new industrialists wanted cheap bread for their workers, and after the electoral reform had the clout to support the repeal of the Corn Laws​
    6. The apology is pro-forma only. Cavour wrote down verbatim all he said in his diary entry for the day​
    7. There is no perfect correspondence in English: it's basically an informal union or better a parliamentary alliance. OTL Cavour framed this alliance with the moderate left of Rattazzi to push through parliament the abolition of the privileges of the clergy and the dissolution of many religious orders opposed by the conservatives​
    8. IOTL, Bismarck spoke these words in the Reichstag in 1883, during the discussion on insurance for the workers​
    9. Prince Schwarzenberg was a protégé of Metternich and a career diplomat. IOTL he arrived in Verona from Naples, where he was ambassador, and later on fought at Goito. After the end of the Italian campaign, he went to Vienna as Radetzki's liaison with the Austrian government, and in October 1848 was made prime minister. TTL, he barely manages to reach Verona, but cannot leave: he is going to argue in favor of surrendering Verona, feeling the need to reach Vienna as soon as possible.​
    10. General von Haynau had quite a bad record IOTL: in 1849 he became known as the "butcher of Brescia" for the atrocities committed in repressing the insurrection of the city, and later on he doubled down in Hungary, where he ordered the hanging of 13 Hungarian generals who had surrendered to his troops in the last days of Hungarian insurrection. IOTL, he was posted in Hungary in 1848, but it would have been a pity to deny him a very minor part in the cast for the Italian campaign.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #39: Sul Castello di Verona batte il sole a mezzogiorno
  • Sul Castello di Verona batte il sole a mezzogiorno (1)
    Verona, 10 April 1848 - Noon

The surrender of Verona had been signed at noon sharp, and immediately afterward the Austrian garrison began to leave the city, through Porta Nuova and Porta Palio, after stacking their guns: they would be marched to prison camps in Lombardy, to join the Austrian troops already detained there since the battle of Goito. A regiment of Bersaglieri was ready to enter the city, in order to confirm that all the provisions of the surrender document had been properly met. Prince Schwarzenberg had been clearly annoyed upon learning that the top officers who were going to be paroled after the surrender would be escorted to Salorno only after a confirmation that no atrocities or crimes had been committed in Verona (2), as well as by the information that neither Marshal Radetzky nor any of the officers captured at Goito or after the surrender of the other fortresses of the Quadrilateral would be paroled (3) but there was nothing he could do about it. Archduke Ranieri had not even bothered to protest: it was obvious that he was not really eager to reach Vienna and explain how he had lost his viceroyalty in less than a month, and even less interested in the fate of the Field Marshall.

Verona, 10 April 1848 - Mid-afternoon

Porta Nuova was also used for the triumphal entry of the Italian troops in Verona. The processional started with the Tricolore and a squadron of Carabinieri, then the top officers, with Ferdinando in the center and Maria Cristina on his side (4), followed by two companies for each one of the regular contingents and the volunteers present in the theater, each one with its own version of the Tricolore. The processional went along via di Porta Nuova up to Piazza Bra, then left on via di Castelvecchio, up to Verona castle, among the cheers of the Veronese crowd which lined the streets.
    Orazio Taddei described this fateful day in his novel: "We entered fair Verona from Porta Nuova, our flags streaming in the breeze of April, our hearts beating at the rhythm of the drums. The streets were lined with people cheering: young and old, rich and poor, all equally celebrating: on that day we truly saw the shining face of war, crowned with the laurels of victory and beckoning us all to greater triumphs. Everything else was forgotten: the long marches, the scarce food, the madness of battles, the screams of the wounded and the brightness of the blood spilled. Truly was is for the young men only, who can have no doubt in their immortality, who can have no fear because they are unable to anticipate failure. We marched along Corso di Porta Nuova up to Piazza Bra, and then we turned left and saw our destination, our Jerusalem: the Castle of Verona (5). An even mightier roar saluted the Tricolore streaming from the highest turret of the castle. Our blood was boiling, nothing would be impossible for us: if Prince Ferdinando, our Goffredo di Buglione, had asked us to march on Vienna, no one would have hesitated, and if Princess Maria Cristina, beautiful as a naked sword, had called for us to storm the gates of Hell, we would have stepped forward as a single man.
    That evening we were given a few hours of liberty, and we set to explore the secrets of Verona. Everyone was excited: who knew what we would find, who knew if behind next corner we would meet a fair maid, a Juliet for a Tuscan Romeo, and a love story would be born on this beautiful night of April."

Billboards were affixed through the city, proclaiming the expulsion of all Austrian troops from Northern Italy and the commitment to establish an Italian Confederation, based on constitutional principles and the presidency of which had been offered to the Pope. A plebiscite to determine the status of Verona in the Italian Confederation would be held in one month time, and on the same date, municipal elections would also be held, to elect a city council and a podesta' (6). For the time being, the Sardinian Statute would be in force, and a Civic Guard would be formed to keep order in the city.
    The same proclamation was also read all across the city by squads of soldiers (7).

Ancona, 10 April 1848 - Mid-afternoon

The ships carrying the Papal Volunteers from Ferrara were entering the harbor of Ancona: weather had been kind, and the schedule had been kept. The volunteers found gen. Ferrari waiting for them (8), together with a few officers from the Ancona fortress: the news from Rome had not been taken well by the garrison, which had mutinied and put under house arrest both the papal Legate in Ancona and the commander of the fortress; they had welcomed the arrival of general Ferrari, and the stores of the fortress would be made available to the volunteers.
    Gen. Ferrari made a rousing speech, cheered by the Volunteers: they were going to leave for Rome on the next morning. Upon their arrival in Rome, they would ensure that law and order would be respected, under the constitutional guarantees.
    Rome was some 300 km from Ancona, a good part of them across the Apennines, and it would likely take 10 days to reach the city.

Palmanova, 10 April 1848 - Mid-afternoon

Henri d'Orleans entered Palmanova (9), accompanied by Ferdinando Carlo di Borbone and a few officers, leaving his cavalry to camp in front of the fortress city: the foot soldiers were one day away, and would be marching towards the fortress of Palmanova, but he was eager to see how the situation was in eastern Friuli and on the Isonzo. He had sent a messenger in advance, asking to see Gen. De Sonnaz, Signor Cavedalis and Podesta' Dragoni of Udine on the evening of the same day; Captain Calvi too, if he could be present.
    The meeting was to be held in the Palazzo del Provveditore (10), in the center of Palmanova

Footnotes
    1. "The Noon Sun Shines over the Castle of Verona": IOTL, this is the first verse of the Carducci's poem "The Legend of Theoderic", but in TTL these words were written by Orazio Taddei, in his first and widely celebrated novel "Primavera d'Italia" (Springtime for Italy). Orazio Taddei (who IOTL was never born) was a young Tuscan from Siena, who was enrolled at the Scuola Normale di Pisa when the insurrections started, studying law under prof. Montanelli. He joined the Student Volunteer Corps, together with his younger brother Alceo (a historical figure, who fought at Curtatone and Montanara battles IOTL) who was studying engineering also at the Scuola Normale. Orazio is credited to be the founder of the "realist style" in Italian literature, and his status as the chronicler of Italian life in the second half of the 19th century is unchallenged, but doubtless the starting of his career as writer was facilitated by his friendship with Pier Carlo Boggio, who would publish "Primavera d'Italia" in installments when he became editor of Ïl Risorgimento"in 1851. Alceo made a name for himself IOTL as a well-reputed railway engineer, but ITTL he is going to be remembered as one of the great civil engineers of the golden age of engineering.​
    2. Prince Schwarzenberg was in a hurry to reach Vienna, worried by the unsettled political situation there and by the apparent lack of any action by the Staatskonferenz.​
    3. Radetzky and the commanders of the other fortresses surrendered without conditions.​
    4. I don't think anyone can be surprised by the presence of Maria Cristina​
    5. A map of Verona in 1849 can be found here http://www.veronissima.com/immagini/verona-citta-fortezza.jpg
    6. Since Verona was a fortress city, there was no Podesta' during Austrian rule, but a military governor​
    7. Common soldiers and volunteers allowed a few hours of liberty in Verona were probably the most effective way to spread the news among the civilian population.​
    8. Ferrari had used a fast avviso to cross the Adriatic.​
    9. Palmanova was a fortress city built by the Serenissima at the end of the 16th century, to provide a bulwark in east Friuli. http://www.palmanova.it/img/slide/slide1.jpg
    10. Palazzo del Provveditore and Loggia dei Mercanti https://www.10cose.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/loggia-palmanova.jpg

Narrative Interlude #40: Confutatis Maledictis
  • Confutatis maledictis(1)
    April 12th, Rome- Vatican Palace

Vincenzo Gioberti was confused. The triumphal arrival he had expected in Rome had never happened. Instead, he found the city in turmoil, with riots in the streets being the norm rather than the exception. He blamed the secrecy of his mission to offer the Presidency of the Italian Confederacy to Pio IX; surely, when the Pope would deign to formally accept the Presidency of the Italian Confederation, the chants of "Viva Pio IX" would spread like a joyful storm in the Urbe(2) and across the whole of Italy. The Sardinian Ambassador Pareto seemed skeptical of this optimistic scenario, and the sentence "The Italian delegates have made the Pope an offer he cannot refuse" with which he had handed him the decrypted message with said formal offer did sound a bit ironic.
    Another surprise had come with the reply from the Secretary of State: there would be an audience, but it would be for him alone, and would take place in the Vatican (3): why exclude Marquis Pareto, and why the summoning at the Vatican rather than at the Quirinale? Gioberti's arrival was expected, and he was immediately admitted and immediately escorted to the Sala Regia(4), but he felt treated more like a simple visitor rather than an envoy. When ushered inside the Sala, he found it empty, but for one single person. A cardinal, giving his back to him intently studying one of the frescoes at the walls. Without even looking at him, his cold voice echoed in the room.
    "Abate Gioberti. A pleasure to meet you. Please, do come here."
    When Vincenzo reached him, the Cardinal continued:
    "I do believe this is a most fit room to receive the offer of your Prince and the other self-appointed delegates for the Italian people." There was a cold sneer in his words "Here, you can see Peter of Aragon offering his Kingdom to Innocenzo III; there, Barbarossa submitting to Alexander III."
    Only then did Vincenzo manage to speak.
    "Then why is Your Eminence looking so intently at "The Battle of Lepanto"?"
    "Because it is the most fitting one for the present circumstances: a battle for the soul of Italy, and all of Europe. Quite a bit more than an"offer the Pope cannot refuse." Only then did the Cardinal deign to look upon Gioberti. The cold smile accompanying those last words made the Abate shiver.
    "Forgive my lack of politeness. I am Cardinal Patrizi Naro."
    "I thought I would see the Pope."
    "And see His Holiness you shall. Follow me, but please, be quiet. The Pope is praying."
    Gioberti followed Patrizi Naro until the doors of the Cappella Paolina(5). The doors were shut. Patrizi Naro motioned for Gioberti to look inside the keyhole. His Holiness was inside, praying intently and silently(6). Patrizi Naro's cold gaze mocked Giobert's puzzled look. He whispered:
    "But no one said you would speak to His Holiness." He lowered his voice to an almost unintelligible volume, and continued:
    "Your so-called offer is a trap, an intended threat to the Throne and the Altar. As the Lombard Kings of old, your Prince wishes to chain the Pope, to degrade him from Spiritual guide of more than two hundred million souls to a powerless figurehead for a mere twenty-five million of Italians. As we speak, His Holiness is asking the Almighty for guidance in these dire times. You shall hear his response in due time."
    "But he cannot... the Italian people love him, chant his name, fight in his name.." Vincenzo's voice rose higher, and Patrizi Naro dragged him back in the Sala Regia.
    "Oh they do. But His Holiness never asked for such a betrayal against the Divine Right of Throne and Altar..."
    "No, that can't be. It's not like that... Has he read the Primato(7)? Because..."
    "Oh, that." A cold light sparkled in the Cardinal's eyes. "Indeed. And as an act of kindness, I would anticipate you that, after long consideration, and given the lives of good Catholics lost because of the folly expressed in your words... the Primato has been put to the Index. (8)"
    A cannonball through his body would have hurt Vincenzo less than those words. He fell on his knees, feeling to be in hell rather in that most holy place. And then, again, he could hear it: the Angels singing the Dies Irae. But it was his voice echoing inside the ancient walls, singing

"Confutatis maledictis,
    Flammis acribus addictis,
    Voca me cum benedictis.(9)"

Patrizi Naro shouted for the guards to take him away. Perplexed, the Pope stopped praying for a moment, while a surprisingly baritonal voice kept chanting inside the Vatican:

Lacrimosa dies illa,
    Qua resurget ex favilla,
    Judicandus homo reus.
    Huic ergo parce, Deus:
    Pie Jesu Domine,
    Dona eis requiem. Amen.(10)

The Pope could not help but asking "Who's dead?" to his puzzled collaborators. A better question would have been: "What is dead?"

Footnotes
    1. "Once the cursed have been silenced", another famous line from the Dies Irae.​
    2. "The City", as Rome is usually referred to.​
    3. The Quirinale was the Pope's residence as Head of State of the Papal States, while the Vatican was his residence as a Spiritual leader. Given the nature of his mission, one can understand Gioberti's confusion.​
    4. A sumptuous honor room inside the Apostolic Palace, adjacent to the Cappella Sistina.​
    5. A chapel used for the Pope's silent prayer.​
    6. An homage to a scene of "In nome del Papa Re".​
    7. "Del Primato Morale e Civile degli Italiani", Gioberti's bestseller.​
    8. "Index Librorum Prohibitorum", a list of books forbidden to all Catholics.​
    9. "Once the cursed have been silenced,/sentenced to acrid flames:/Call me, with the blessed."​
    10. "Tearful [will be] that day,/on which from the glowing embers will arise/the guilty man who is to be judged./Then spare him, O God./Merciful Lord Jesus,/grant them rest. Amen."​
    Made in Tarabas & @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #41: Hic Manebimus Optime
  • Hic Manebimus Optime
    Verona, 10 April 1848 - Evening

Prince Ferdinando had called for a General Staff Meeting in the Salon of Tapestries in Castelvecchio. There were a few new officers attending: Gen. Manfredo Fanti (1) and Colonel Enrico Cialdini (2), who had recently joined the Sardinian army, Gen, Federico Millet d'Arvillars (3), who had proven his mettle t the battle of Goito, Gen. Cesare de Laugier (4), the commander of the regulars from Tuscany.
    General Menabrea, Admiral Graziani and Colonel Montanelli were also attending, together with the officers permanently detailed to the General Staff.
    "Gentlemen, welcome to Verona: signifer, statue signum, hic manebimus optime. (5)" Ferdinando was in high spirits, a whimsical smile on his lips "Don't be surprised by my words: I know that the proclamation to the Veronese has puzzled some of you, but now I can disclose what our intentions are. The delegates of the various states which are now joined in the Italian Confederation have agreed that a Confederal Capital should be chosen, and that the city and its hinterland should not be part of any state, but subject only to Confederal law: a Confederal District, if you like. Why Verona? First of all, for its symbolic value: Verona has been freed by Confederal armies, and our presence here means that the Austrians have been expelled from the last city they held in mainland Italy. Second, geography: Verona lies midway between Milan and Venice, and is on the main Italian railway, from Venice to Milan. It is beautifully placed to be the main base of the Confederation army, protecting the road to the Brenner Pass, and by railway or water ways troops, artillery and supplies can be easily transported to the border of Friuli, to react against any Austrian aggression in the future, but also to Piedmont's western border should France display any unfriendly intention. In a few years, Verona will also be connected to Genoa, to Bologna, to Livorno: the railways will change the world, and our future capital should take this into account. The people of Verona and the hinterland must have certainly their say, but I am confident that the benefits of this proposal will be understood and accepted "

There was a look of surprise on many faces, although Menabrea, Graziani and De Laugier were certainly aware of the political plans being discussed. Then Ferdinando continued:

"As you are aware, I intend to carry on the investigation on atrocities which may have been committed in Verona: ugly rumors have been floating around, and have been reported to our troops by a few people who managed to leave the city. Verona will remain under military administration until the plebiscite and the elections scheduled for one month from now. In the meantime, I will appoint a civilian commission to investigate: all military personnel will support the investigation, and will report any information they may receive from the civilian population. If the reports of these atrocities will be confirmed, a court martial will be empaneled and all convicted accused will be punished. The articles of surrender were pretty clear, as I pointed out to prince Schwarzenberg today."

Any trace of smile was gone from Ferdinando's lips, and his eyes were very cold.

"Let's go back to military issues, though. I anticipate that Gen. D'Orleans should have arrived on the Isonzo by now: all reports we received confirm that the reinforcements have been making good progress. The next objective for our troops is to take Monfalcone, and secure a port where supplies can be delivered. Do you have any information from your navy, Admiral Graziani?"

"A flotilla of 5 brigantines and 2 gunboats have been sent to the area. They will blockade the coast, and get in touch with our troops. I do not anticipate any difficulty on either task. Once contact is made, the naval units will coordinate with the army.

"That is good to hear. Barges with supplies have already been sent from Mantua: as soon as Monfalcone is in our hands, they can be sent there by sea. Now that Verona has been taken, I am also going to send a siege train: general Menabrea, it will be up to you to coordinate with admiral Graziani: barges from here to the mouth of Adige, and then by ship to Monfalcone.
    Let's however move to future operations in the Adriatic, though.
    The situation in Northern Dalmatia is stable, therefore I am considering changing the mix of the troops there. Gen. Fanti, you will go there with two brigades of regular infantry, and will replace Gen. La Marmora as a military commander. Have a look at the situation there, and let me have your suggestions. It would be good if you can release the Roman volunteers, who might be needed at home. I do not anticipate any offensive action from Dalmatia: just make sure the defensive positions in the north are secure and patrol the interior up to the Ottoman border.
    The time has come to look at Istria, and gen. La Marmora with his Bersaglieri may have a role to play there.
    The General Staff has worked out a plan which proposes landings in Parenzo and Rovigno, but more information on the strength of Austrian troops in Istria are required, as well as some good maps of the region: another job for you, Admiral Graziani. Once we have secured a bridgehead on the coast, we will be ready to move towards Pola in the south or towards Capodistria in the north. Or possibly on both, depending on how well goes the war on the Isonzo.
    Gen. Meret, you will have two brigades of regular infantry, with regimental artillery and sappers. No cavalry, bur gen. De Laugier will join the operation with a brigade of Tuscan Regulars, again with artillery and sappers. Gen. La Marmora will also be available with his Bersaglieri. Please coordinate with Gen. Menabrea and admiral Graziani. and start planning the move to Venice.
    I want you there in one week's time, it shouldn't be hard using the railway. Tentatively, I would like to have the landings in 10-12 days' time, assuming that enough information on enemy strength in Istria is made available.
    I want also to make some progress in Trentino: I am quite disappointed by the passivity of gen. Alfonso La Marmora. Colonel Cialdini: I will give you 2 regiments of regulars and one regiment of bersaglieri, and I will write to La Marmora to give you another 2 regiments of regulars. Your task is to go toward Merano, from the west, avoiding the narrows of Salorno. Be cautious and always scout carefully, the Austrian jaegers are quite effective at ambush. I will however expect some progress on that front too. Gen. Fanti has spoken well of your experience in Spain, and I am confident you will not disappoint me.
    Last thing: the squadron of Sardinian ships has left Genoa today, on the morning tide: they should be in Palermo in 3 days, including a stop-over in Sardinia. The navy will also be escorting a steamship carrying a training mission for the Sicilian army, some artillery, and supplies.

Footnotes
    1. Manfredo Fanti was born in Carpi in 1808. After his participation to the insurrections of 1831, he went in exile to Spain, where he fought with distinction against the Carlists. In 1848 he came back to Italy and enrolled in the Sardinian army.​
    2. Enrico Cialdini was born in Castelvetro, near Modena, in 1811. After the insurrections of 1831, he went in exile to France, Portugal and finally Spain, where he fought against the Carlists under Fanti. He followed Fanti, returning to Italy and joining the Sardinian army in 1848.​
    3. Federico Millet D'Arvillars was born in Chambey (Savoy) in 1788. He spent his life in the Sardinian army, becoming Major General and gave good proof of himself leading his division in the attack against the bridge of Goito.​
    4. Cesare De Laugier was born in Portoferraio in 1789, of a noble Lorenaise family who had moved to Tuscany following Duke Francis I of Lorraine. He fought under Napoleon, and later under Murat in 1815. Same as IOTL, he is the commander of the Tuscan regulars deployed against the Austrians.​
    5. "Standard-bearer, plant your standard: here we will stay best". It's taken from the 5th book of Livius' History of Rome: after the invasion of Gauls, the Senate was debating if they should rebuild Rome or move to Veius. During the discussion, a centurion halted his maniple near the Curia Hostilia with those words. Furius Camillus took them as an omen, and by an impassionate speech convinced the Senate to stay in Rome.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #42: A staff meeting at the front
  • Palmanova, 10 April 1848 - Evening

Coincidentally, another staff meeting was taking place at the same time in Palmanova.
    Besides Henri d'Orleans and Carlo di Borbone, Gen. Di Sonnaz, Sig. Cavedalis, Podesta'Dragoni, Gen. Zucchi (1), Commander Padoan (2), and a few other officers were attending. Captain Pietro Calvi couldn't manage to attend, but Sig. Cavedalis would fill in for him.

Henri started the meeting:
    "My compliments to Gen. Zucchi, commander of the fortress. I have been impressed by the state of readiness of your soldiers. My compliments also to Podesta' Dragoni and to sig. Cavedalis. Sig. Manin has assured me personally that you gentleman will be able to provide us with information on the enemy: your knowledge of the region will be invaluable."

Cavedalis replied: "Thank you, Gen. D'Orleans. We welcome you and the soldiers of the Expeditionary Corps, with the same glad heart with which we welcomed the previous arrival of Gen. De Sonnaz at the end of March. Captain Calvi has been detained in Cadore, since there were rumors of Austrian columns probing the alpine passes, but I can fill in for him. I would like to introduce Commander Padoan, of the Navy of the Republic of St. Mark: there is a flotilla of Venetian units near the coast, and the Commander landed by boat and arrived here yesterday, to bring us the last news and coordinate future actions.

"Thank you sig. Cavedalis. Gen. De Sonnaz, let's have a review of the situation on the Isonzo."

"Sir, the Austrians have been very passive since our arrival. We were able to secure a beachhead on the eastern shore of Isonzo at Mainizza, opposite to Gorizia, and another one at Villesse, south of Gradisca. We are keeping the fortress of Gradisca under close observation: it's an old one, but quite strong, and will probably necessitate a formal siege to reduce it. According to sig. Cavedalis, the garrison is about 500 men. We have also received some information about Gorizia, although we have avoided getting too close. Gen. Nugent is in Gorizia, with some 15,000 men. Friendly civilians have informed us that he has been promised another 4 Croat regiments, but it is not too clear when they are going to arrive. My assessment is that, between the situation in Hungary and our successful liberation of Dalmatia, the imperial government is unwilling to commit the regiments from the Military Frontier."

"Sir, with your permission I would update you on the naval situation. A Venetian flotilla is at anchor in front of Grado. The town was not garrisoned, and the townsmen have welcomed our arrival. We got also some information from Monfalcone: there is a single Austrian regiment in the town, based in Monfalcone castle. Two brigantines are moored at the docks. There are old batteries at the entrance of the port, but they are not apparently in a state of readiness. Our units are ready to force the entrance of the port whenever you may consider it convenient." By all appearances, Commander Padoan looked quite eagerly to the investment of Monfalcone.

"Very well, gentlemen. Here is what I think: ...."
    Henri d'Orleans went on to explain his plans for the Isonzo Campaign.
    The first step would certainly be the occupation of Monfalcone: De Sonnaz would move on the town with three regiments, and the attack was scheduled for the dawn of 13 April; the Venetian flotilla would probe the entrance of the port and silence the batteries.
    After taking Monfalcone, the Parmesan lancers would scout the country towards Trieste. Cavedalis was tasked to find out how many Austrian troops were holding the city, which was protected by forts on the seaside but poorly defended against a landward attack.
    In the meantime, the troops of the Expeditionary Corps would be deployed in front of Gorizia, and cut any link between Gorizia and Gradisca. An effective investment of either would require siege guns, but Nugent might be forced to vacate Gorizia and retire towards Lubiana or to risk a field battle.
    "Prince Ferdinando believes we have no more than one month at best before the Austrians ask for a cease-fire: the diplomacy of the Powers is already starting to pressure them. Let make the best use of the time allotted to us."

Footnotes​
    1. Carlo Zucchi was born in Reggio di Lombardia in 1777. He fought with distinction (and was ennobled) under Napoleon. He also valiantly fought in the insurrections of 1831 and was arrested by Austrians leaving Ancona in 1832 to go to France in exile. Condemned to 20 years in prison, he was held in Palmanova. He was freed after the mutiny of 24 March 1848 and appointed commander of the fortress.​
    2. A fictional character.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #43: Facilis Descensus Averno, Part 1
  • Facilis Descensus Averno (1)

The history of the convulse chain of events in Rome during the month of April 1848 has been recounted and analyzed by many historians, but here it is told through the diaries (2) of Count Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere (3), a first-hand witness of them. Upon his arrival in Rome at the beginning of September 1847, after a long exile, he was not just lionized by both the liberal and democratic factions (4) but was also well received by the Roman aristocracy and even by the more liberal portion of the Curia.

Part 1: "Noi semo l'assertori der libbero pensiero adesso er cielo è nero ma poi se schiarirà! Viva la libertà!" (4)

29 March: This morning the city woke up in a festive mood, ready to celebrate the news which arrived from Palermo. In a few hours it turned into a bloody riot, but I blame the heavy-handed and provocative attitude of the police. Dragoons were sent to disperse the crowd, and there were many casualties. My fellow members at the Circolo Romano did not talk of anything else: there was much criticism of the actions of the police and the troops involved, and an equal amount of praise for the National Guard which had managed to maintain order in many parts of the city without resorting to violence.

31 March: A surprise announcement today: His Holiness has decreed that the walls of the Ghetto must be demolished, and the Jews are to be no longer confined there during the night. The demolition will start tomorrow, and I will certainly there to witness this momentous step forward: it was high time to free those Roman citizens who had been unjustly subjected to restrictions just because of their religion. While walking through Trastevere, I met signor Brunetti, or Ciceruacchio (5) as he is better known. I was introduced to him last November at a dinner to honor Lord Minto (6) , and was very much impressed by him. Ciceruacchio spoke in glowing terms of the goodness of the Pope, and his love even for persons who were not brothers in Christ. I did not contradict him, but I am of the opinion that the last papal decree is rather a sop thrown to the liberal opinion after the riots of two days ago than an act of Christian charity.

1st April: When I reached the Ghetto at mid-morning, the workers were already demolishing the wall, although not much work had been done. Seeing dottor Pietro Sterbini (7), I went to wish him a good morning and to enquire why the demolition was so slow. Dottor Sterbini explained that the leaders of the Jews were not enthusiastic about the removal of the walls of the Ghetto, since the wall was not just a prison but also a defense against hostile acts, and added that they were not wrong to be cautious: he had been informed that during the early morning mass a number of parish priests had preached against the emancipation of the Jews, the more so during Lent, asking their parishioners to be vigilant against any possible desecration of holy sites and broadly hinting that the emancipated Jews would soon steal jobs away from good Christian workers, making them destitute. I didn't need more to understand why Pietro Sterbini felt the obligation to be present in front of the Ghetto this particular morning. Soon we heard an angry mob approaching, and Sterbini proved he had come prepared: he blew into a whistle taken from his pocket, and two squads of National Guards came at the double step, positioning themselves in front of the Ghetto. A welcome view at a critical time, and I felt even more reassured seeing Signor Brunetti among them. Ciceruacchio was a well-known and respected man among the poorest class of Roman populace, and today he proved his mettle: he stepped forward in front of the mob, calling greetings to those he knew, and in a short time he was able to convince them to go away in peace. The best possible solution for what might have turned into a nasty incident. I feel that the timing of this botched riot was very suspicious: the day workers and small artisans who made up the mob couldn't react so quickly. Therefore someone must have incited them to riot, with the aim to prove that the Roman populace is not ready for reforms and must be ruled with a strong hand.

5 April: Great news: a sovereign and democratic republic has been restored in Venice and all of Veneto, a successful mutiny in Pola has deprived the Austrians of most of their fleet, Gen. Durando and his troops have entered Veneto and are in march towards Friuli. Most of the praise is given to Prince Ferdinando of Savoy, who was in Venice when the republic was proclaimed and is credited with having supported the restoration of the republic. Can this be true? On a more somber tone, there are rumors of Jacobin plots underway, and the police has been making arrests. I am truly skeptical that the democrats might be planning a revolution at this moment in time: a constitution has been granted, a limited one in truth, but still a big step forward, a National Guard has been mustered and lay ministers are part of the Cabinet, even if the key positions are still filled by Cardinals. The riots of 29 March were clearly sparked by police provocations, and not planned beforehand: I am afraid that this recent wave of arrest is part of a nefarious plan to turn back the reforms granted by His Holiness.

6 April: I have read the proclamation of Gen. Durando to the troops before crossing the borders of Veneto: it was very strongly worded, and the general should have been more cautious. Colonel Aldobrandini (8) shared this opinion, adding however that the proclamation was not dissimilar from the preaching of Father Gavazzi (9), when the volunteers were mustered at the Coliseum. If no one had been scandalized then, there was no reason to be horrified now. In the same way, Durando was fully entitled to cross into Veneto: his orders were to join forces with the Sardinian army, and similarly, Gen. Ferrari was entitled to lead his volunteers to Dalmatia. I tried to ask why all the newspapers more aligned with the government had so hotly denounced Durando and Ferrari, but Aldobrandini's reply was limited to a sad smile. So, the answer was obvious: the fish stinks from the head, right?

7 April: As I feared, the reactionary faction of the Curia is turning the crews to weaken and reverse the reforms. A process behind closed doors will start tomorrow: the alleged crime is the murder of a police informer, and the accused are three young men with democrat sympathies. Neither the name of the victim nor the name of the accused has been officially released, but of course, Ciceruacchio knew everything better than if it had been printed on a broadsheet. The deceased, a Mario Omoboni, was a small criminal of Trastevere, who informed the police on the side: it was an open secret, and his killing was a settling of scores in the criminal underworld, no politics involved. Sig. Brunetti knows personally the family of one of the accused and swears on the head of his children that Gaetano Tognetti is an honest and upright young man, not an assassin (10).

10 April: The garrison of the fortress in Ancona has mutinied, and declared its support for Durando and Ferrari. No other detail has reached Rome. The city is reasonably quiet, but over the last few days fights have been reported, pitting teamsters based in Rome against teamsters coming from the countryside. No special reason for these fights has surfaced, and not even Ciceruacchio (who is a very successful teamster himself and knows most of them) has been able to discover why these fights happen, much less to stop them. In just a few days three apparently unrelated events have occurred: first the failed assault of the Ghetto, then the open criticism of Durando's actions, and finally the teamsters fighting each other for no clear reason. Are they the legs of a tripod? Is someone trying to blow on the embers to produce a conflagration? On a happier note, my friend Gioberti has arrived in Rome: it will be a pleasure to meet him, even if I fear he has come here to canvass for his Neo-Guelph folly.

Footnotes
    1. "The road to Avernus is easy" or even "The road to Hell is smooth"] but it does not portend disasters or chaos. The quote is from Book VI of the Aeneid, by Vergil. Aeneas has reached Italy fleeing from the fall of Troy, and has landed near Naples. Unsure of his next steps, he seeks enlightenment from the Sybil of Cuma, a priestess of the Apollonian oracle. The Sybil leads him down the slopes of lake Avernus, a volcanic lake near Cuma which was traditionally believed to be the door to the Underworld. In the Underworld, Aeneas meets the shadow of his father Anchises, who reveals to him the future history of Rome. After this revelation, Anchises leads Aeneas and the Sybil to the "eburnean door" which gives access to the world of the living, and in just a few more verses Aeneas is back on his ship, sailing towards Latium. The road from Hell is even smoother than the road to Hell , and this is the way the title applies to the current events in Rome: there is going to be a swift descent into chaos, and a swifter recovery.​
    2. "We are the proponents of free thought: now the sky is dark but it will lighten up! Freedom forever!". It's the first verse of a Jacobin song dating back to the Roman Republic of 1798​
    3. These diaries were published by the grand-grandson and namesake of Count Terenzio Mamiani in 1948, during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the proclamation of the Italian Confederation​
    4. Count Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere was born in Pesaro in 1799. Writer, politician and patriot, he played a role during the insurrections of 1821 and 1831, and was condemned to exile in perpetuity in 1832, after the failure of the latter. He lived in Paris from 1832 to 1846, where he was quite a prolific writer and met and befriended other Italian expatriates for political reasons (he became a great friend with Gioberti, although he never accepted his Neo-Guelph strategy, as well as with Princess Cristina di Belgioioso and Giuseppe Ferrari; at the same time, he never was close to Mazzini, refusing his utopist approach). At the beginning of 1846, Carlo Alberto gave him permission to establish in Genoa, where he met, courted and finally married a young widow, Carolina Ricci. Mamiani refused to ask for papal clemency, and was therefore unable to take advantage of the amnesty granted by Pius IX in July 1846. However, he was granted permission to return to Rome for a limited time in September 1847, following the sudden death of his brother. Count Mamiani arrived in Rome at the end of September, leaving his pregnant wife in Genoa, and was very well received and lionized in both liberal and democrat circles, on account of his achievements as a writer and of his impeccable curriculum as patriot. His stay in Rome stretched because of the tumultuous events of February and March 1848, and now he is going to play soon a greater role in politics. Terenzio Mamiani is a catholic liberal, of moderate tendencies but firmly against the temporal power of the pope and the presence of prelates in the government of Rome. [everything in this note is historical, with the only exception of his marriage to Carolina Ricci: IOTL Mamiani never married. His political career was quite impressive IOTL, but his achievements ITTL will be even more outstanding].​
    5. Angelo Brunetti, better known as Ciceruacchio, was born in an artisan family living in Trastevere. He started to work as a teamster, and by his inborn qualities and hard work managed to build up a very successful activity. He also became a natural leader in Trastevere, helping people in need, mediating and adjudicating grievances. The election of Pius IX in 1846 and the first reforms turned him in a strong supporter of the "liberal Pope" and led him to play more and more in grassroots politics. As the diary entry says, he immediately enrolled in the National Guard, and was quickly promoted to the rank of sergeant and appointed standard-bearer for the 2nd Legion, commanded by Colonel Aldobrandini, with whom he struck an unlikely friendship.​
    6. Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 2nd Earl of Minto was sent to Italy in September 1847 by the British PM, Lord John Russell (who was also his son-in-law), on a roving mission to understand and report on the political situation. Lord Minto visited Turin, Florence, Rome and Naples (where he is still residing at the beginning of April). He was an influential Tory peer and had sympathies for the Italian cause.​
    7. Dottor Pietro Sterbini, born near Frosinone, Latium, studied medicine but was mostly interested in politics and literature. Affiliated with the Carbonari, was involved in the insurrections of the early 1830s and in 1835 went in exile to Marseille, where he lived until 1846, working as a doctor. He was enrolled in Mazzini's Giovane Italia, and quite active in expatriate circles in Marseille (where he also met Enrico Mixley of Modena). In 1846 he took advantage of the Papal amnesty and returned to Rome. His political position was on the democratic left, but he was another guy who felt quickly under the spell of the "liberal Pope" (the sentiment was not returned: in November 1847 Sterbini was elected to the "Consulta di Stato" - a municipal council with an advisory role only - but when the Consulta was granted an audience by the Pope, Pius IX singled him with a harsh tirade).​
    8. Prince Camillo Aldobrandini, second son of Prince Borghese, who inherited a secondo-geniture title. Neo-Guelph with moderate liberal leaning. He is a colonel in command of the 2nd Legion of National Guard and is Minister for War in the Ministry of Card. Recchi. As Minister for War, he organized the expeditionary corps under Durando and has been constantly in contact with him during the months of March and April. Aldobrandini is a strong supporter of the war against Austria and would love a Neo-Guelph outcome. This explains his words to Mamiani when they meet in Circolo Romano (Aldobrandini is also the President of the Circolo Romano)​
    9. Alessandro Gavazzi, a Barnabite Monk who was an ardent patriot. He preached for a crusade against Austria when the Volunteers mustered in the Coliseum, and he later followed the expeditionary corps in its march toward Veneto. He was also the inspiration for Durando's proclamation to the troops.​
    10. See Interlude #10​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Narrative Interlude #44: Facilis Descensus Averno, Part 2
  • Facilis Descensus Averno

Part 2:
    "Qui nun se move foglia che 'r popolo non voglia chi vo' regna cor boia, da boia morirà! Viva la libertà!"(1)

12 April: Glad news from Genoa! One week ago, Carolina has given birth to a healthy boy, who will be christened Gianfrancesco, after my father. When I arrived in Genoa two years ago, I would never expect to fall in love, much less to marry: today, not only I have found a loving and beautiful wife, but I am also a father! I went to Mass, to thank God for the blessings that He had showered on me, and then proceeded to the Circolo Romano, to toast the birth of my firstborn son with my friends. I was heartily congratulated by all and sundry, and I am sorry to say that I indulged too much in the celebrations. A first dampening of my good mood happened when Prince Aldobrandini told me in a whisper that the process against the Jacobin plotters and murderers had been concluded: two of the accused had been found guilty, and would be executed next Friday, while the third one had been found not guilty of murder, and had been released with a cautioning. The effect of the drink was shown when I burst out saying: " It was very quick! Tell me, Prince Aldobrandini: was the released prisoner a scion of a noble house (2)?" The prince only nodded, in confirmation.

After this ominous counterpoint, I was not surprised to receive a brief note from Gioberti: "All is lost, my mission to Rome has ended in failure. I'll come to your house tomorrow, by noon, and will tell you the sad tale.". I gather that Gioberti really came to Rome to convince the Pope to bless his dreams of an Italian Confederation under his Presidency, and his attempt has ended in failure, as it was to be expected. Why so quickly, though? Arranging an audience with the Pope takes always time, the more so since Gioberti arrived as an official emissary of Sardinia. I gather that my curiosity will be satisfied tomorrow, but I am sure the very quick wrapping up of the criminal process and what happened to Gioberti fit very well with the other strange events which have happened in Rome since the riots of 29 March. I might even hazard a guess at who's the spider busily weaving this tangled web.

13 April: Gioberti has arrived, a broken man who blames himself for the failure of his mission. He told me everything in detail: his departure from Turin, upon orders from Prince Ferdinando, the swift sea passage, the gladness with which he had read the formal offer of the Presidency to His Holiness, on behalf of the Italian Confederation of States (I had to force myself not to interrupt him: an Italian Confederation of States? This was news for me, and most likely for almost everyone in Rome). Then there was the formal hand-over of the proposal to the Secretary of State, and the almost immediate summoning to the Vatican Palace for a personal audience. Gioberti was sobbing when he told me of his distasteful meeting with the Cardinal Vicar of Rome, of the short peek he was allowed of the Holy Father kneeling and praying in the Paoline Chapel, of the crushing revelation that his "Primato degli Italiani" had been condemned (3), and was now in the Index of Forbidden Books. I tried to console him, even if I was burning with curiosity and had got the confirmation that my guess of yesterday was on the money: Patrizi Naro was the spider at the center of the web, with all the conservative faction of the Curia at his back.
    In the end, I managed to stop Gioberti's sobbing and to convince him to share a meal with me. I admit I even used the news of the birth of my son to lift his spirits, and the poor man was truly gladly to hear it.
    Slowly I turned the discussion towards the Italian Confederation: Gioberti explained that delegates from all the Italian States and Provisional Governments, excluding only the Papal States and the kingdom of Two Sicilies, have convened in Isola della Scala, a small town near Verona. A delegation of the self-proclaimed Kingdom of Sicily has formally offered the crown to Princess Maria Cristina, and she has accepted. A convention of all the delegates has agreed to form an Italian Confederation, based on a common constitution, the guarantee of rights for all citizens and a pact of mutual self defense against any external aggression. The Convention voted to offer the Presidency of the Confederation to His Holiness, and Gioberti had been sent to Rome to make the formal step. "But now I have failed, and all is lost", sobbed Gioberti. I assured him that he was blameless in the matter: Saint Peter himself would have received the same treatment. Then I asked him about the war against the Austrians. The news were better than I might anticipate: the Austrian garrison in Verona had surrendered on 10 April, Veneto, Friuli and Dalmazia were free. Italian troops, including Durando's Papal regulars, were on the Isonzo, for the final phase of the campaign.
    My heart was bursting with joy at this news, even if , in deference to Gioberti's anguish, I managed to keep my composure. I have always been strongly convinced that the Church must divest herself of temporal power, the sooner the better, in order to dedicate all her efforts to her spiritual mission: the refusal of the Presidency may make it possible to achieve this result. I am now sure that the days of temporal power of the Popes are numbered, and can understand the reason behind the apparent rashness of the actions authorized by the Cardinal Vicar: it is desperation.

14 April: The news I received from Gioberti yesterday are now in the public domain. Rome is plastered with broadsheets, with all the details. The mood is almost festive, the Romans appear to believe that Pius IX will gladly accept the offer of the Presidency, and will bless the Italian armies. I know better, though, and can only hope that the city will not erupt in anger once their hopes come to nothing.
    A closed session of the Curia has been convened for today. I guess the official position will be made clear once it is over.
    In search of news, I went to the Circolo Popolare (4), and was lucky enough to meet the Prince of Canino (5).
    The prince was clearly unhappy: according to his informants, the conservative faction had triumphed in the Curia, and the Pope was meekly following their lead. The Pope made a long, and somehow rambling, speech (6), claiming of having been misunderstood in his actions, which had always been motivated by Christian charity, denouncing the behavior of those misguided souls who had rebelled against their monarchs and princes and confirming that he cannot continue to countenance the waging of a war against a most Christian monarch, the emperor of Austria, but also that he cannot curb the ardor of some of his subjects in this respect. He appears to have stopped short of ordering Durando's troops to leave the front, claiming that he has not imposed other obligations on the troops than the defense of the border of his states . A bit of an oily homily, but at the end he clearly said that he had not asked for the presidency of an Italian Confederation, and not only he had refused an offer for it but also condemned any kind of "republic" which would unite the Italian States. Speaking after him, the Vicar of Rome elaborated at length on this subject, informing the Cardinals of the treacherous proposal received by a "self-proclaimed" convention of Italian States, most of them in open rebellion against their God-appointed rulers and declaring the proposal to have been a trap to ensnare the Pope and deprive him of the powers pertaining to him as spiritual and temporal ruler, being based on the heretic writings of Abate Gioberti, whose book had been condemned by the Santo Uffizio..
    I anticipate that by tomorrow both speeches will be available in print on the Gazzetta del Governo.
    The Prince of Canino kindly agreed in full with my appraisal of the incidents occurred in Rome. He also urged me to be careful in the coming days: riots were to be expected, and he had been informed that Centurioni bands (7) had been recruited, both from the criminal underground of Rome and also from the countryside of Latium, which was deemed more reliable and untainted by progressive ideas.
    While noblemen were not usually harassed by these bands, caution was in order: the situation in Rome was already tense enough, and the speeches given in the Curia would fan the flames of discontent.

15 April: I have read with care both speeches, as published on the Gazzetta del Governo, and have to admit that the synopsis given to me by the Prince of Canino was quite to the point, and less boring: the Papal Allocution was a sort of oily homily, which must have bored to death the Cardinals, with only the refusal of the presidency and the condemnation of the Italian Confederation clearly stated. The speech of Patrizi Naro was much more concise, and positively snarling.
    The broadsheets pasted yesterday were scraped out by the police, but this morning even more of them are pasted on the walls, alternating with Pasquinate (8) and satirical cartoons. No major incident reported in the city, leaving aside a few scuffles, but I have seen roving bands of Centurioni.
    I have rented an apartment with a terrace overlooking Campo dei Fiori (9), so I will be able to witness the executions scheduled on 17 April. I usually avoid such ghastly pageants, but I do feel an obligation to the two young men who have been unjustly accused and condemned: I will tell their story (10). I have also invited Gioberti to join me there.

16 April: Various and gruesome incidents have been reported during the night, all of them from the poorest parts of the city: the Guardia Nazionale does not have the numbers to patrol Rome, with so many of their men away to the war, and the police does not pay any interest. The Roman populace was left to fend for itself during the night.

Footnotes
    1. "No leaf will fall against the people's will: who reigns by the hangman, with the hangman will die! Freedom forever!" It's the second verse of a Jacobin song dating back to the Roman Republic of 1798​
    2. It was an easy guess: aristocrats and priests were never condemned to the capital penalty under Papal rule.​
    3. IOTL, the "Primato degli Italiani" was officially condemned only in 1850, under pressure by the Order of Jesuits​
    4. The Circolo Romano and the Circolo Popolare were the two most important clubs of Rome, and the members were mostly from the aristocracy (with a seasoning of rich merchants, bankers and high-level professionals). Circolo Popolare would translate as "Workers' Club", but don't be deceived by it.​
    5. Carlo Luciano Bonaparte, Principe di Canino, son of Lucien Bonaparte and nephew of Napoleon. A well known zoologist and ornithologist, he was also the creator and organizer of the Scientific Congresses which became a regular feature in Italy between 1838 and 1847, allowing scientists and literates to mingles with their counterparts from other Italian States. Ironically, the only state where they would not be allowed was the Papal States (Pope Gregory XVI prohibited even a participation in these events). C.L. Bonaparte was of liberal leanings, and after the election of Pius IX became a fast friend of him, and was more and more involved in politics. The idyll between the Pope and the Prince of Canino did not last long, since the prince moved more and more toward the democrats, and organized mass events to push further the Pope on the way of reforms. As IOTL, he went north with his Legion of Guardia Civica following Durando. However, ITTL he became quickly bored by the lack of action (he was at Ferrara with the Volunteers' strategic reserve) and returned to Rome at the beginning of April. Carlo Luciano has good relations with the more liberal faction in the Curia, with access to confidential information.​
    6. The "non semel" allocution, which is given two weeks earlier ITTL. The full text of the Papal Allocution can be found here: https://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/1848/papal_allocution.html . Patrizi Naro's speech is obviously non historical.​
    7. The Centurioni were semi-official bands recruited when there was the need to repress riots and/or insurrections. In the case of Rome, they would be under the authority of the Cardinal Vicar.​
    8. A "Pasquinata" is a satirical composition (usually in verses but sometimes in prose too) which was hanged from the neck of a mutilated Roman statue located on a corner of Palazzo Braschi in Rome. The popular name attributed to this statue was "Pasquino" (no one knows the origin of this nickname): hence "Pasquinate". The tradition of lampooning eminent persons from the Church or the aristocracy lasted from the XVI century to the end of the temporal power of the Church.​
    9. The most famous of a number of locations in Rome where capital executions were carried out in public.​
    10. Mamiani will be true to his promise: an article written by him (under a nom-de-plume) will be published on 29 April by "Il Risorgimento", and soon after syndicated all over Europe and even in the USA.​
    Made in @LordKalvan

Status
    Not open for further replies.